PDA

View Full Version : MSU lands QB - Washingtonians help me out if you know him.

catbob
December 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks to WashingtonPreps.com

...December 19, 2005

Mike Warchol
WashingtonPreps.com Publisher

The wait is over for what many consider the second-best senior quarterback in the state of Washington this year. And for Curtis' Jordan Rasmussen, the wait was long and at times frustrating, but he is ecstatic as to his final destination.

"I committed to Montana State yesterday," said Rasmussen.

Rivals.com

Jordan Rasmussen has verballed to Montana State.
The Bobcats ended up being Rasmussen's only offer, despite a senior season that saw him pass for over 1,800 yards on the way to an 8-3 record after a Cinderella run to the quarterfinals in Rasmussen's junior year. He said that Portland State and Idaho State were going to look at film this week, but that he knew Montana State was his top choice in the I-AA ranks.

He said, "I've been told the Big Sky is one of the best conferences to be a quarterback in and I was also drawn to Montana State because he has a history of getting quarterbacks to the NFL, both at Cal Poly and now with Travis Lulay."

The transfer of former Hawaii signal-caller Jack Rolovich would seem to mean that the depth chart ahead of him is clogged. However, the coaches have told Rasmussen "that I will be able to come in and compete as a (true) freshman. They said if I'm the best I'll play, but if not, I'll redshirt and learn the offense. They aren't afraid to play freshmen if they are the best."

The 6-foot-4, 202-pounder admitted it was disappointing to not end up with a Division I-A offer, but also admitted he was excited and relieved to have chosen a school that has liked him since the end of his junior year.

Rasmussen called the coaches last night and he said, "Coach Krammer told me thanks for the early Christmas present."

And for the Bobcats, Christmas may just have come early, with a Pac-10 caliber quarterback headed to the Big Sky.

December 20th, 2005, 02:08 AM
... "Coach Krammer... "... xlolx xlolx xlolx

I bet Mike had a good laugh at that typo! :nod:

catbob
December 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
lol I didn't even notice that.

Georgia Griz
December 22nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
The Bobcats ended up being Rasmussen's only offer, despite a senior season that saw him pass for over 1,800 yards on the way to an 8-3 record after a Cinderella run to the quarterfinals in Rasmussen's junior year...

And for the Bobcats, Christmas may just have come early, with a Pac-10 caliber quarterback headed to the Big Sky.

Congrats to the Bobcat faithful on your recruit, but I was just curious how Rasmussen can be a Pac-10 caliber quarterback and MSU be the only school to offer him a scholarship. :confused:

Tribe4SF
December 22nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
Scouts describe Rasmussen as a decent athlete, tough competitor, with good accuracy on short to intermediate routes. Has average arm strength and suffers from poor mechanics and a low release. Sounds like a project.

Canyoncat
December 22nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Check out this video. Looks pretty good. Hopefully we won't have to see him starting for at least 2 years.

http://www.nextstepcollegesports.com/frameset.php

WashingtonPreps
December 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I bet Mike had a good laugh at that typo! :nod:

Hopefully he doesn't hate me for that.

That's what I get for copying and pasting an IM chat after 10 pm.

As far as Rasmussen goes, he throws a very nice ball. I really thought he could have gone Pac-10, but WSU isn't recruiting a QB and UW is only recruiting one, plus next year's class in Washington is probably the best EVER for signal-callers. There are seven potential D-1 kids in it and that is before I see film on others I may not be sure of.

Ronbo
December 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Sure there are kids that could go Pac 10 or could of gone. But do they want to get stuck on the bench as a 3rd stringer or do they want to play I-AA as a starter. That's the choice they must make.

How's Cole Morgan doing at WSU? He backed out of a verbal to the Griz to go to WSU. He would have started as a RS Freshman here as we took Cole Bergquist as our second option and he was our starter this year. Will Morgan even make the depth chart this year?

WashingtonPreps
December 24th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Morgan's buried. The depth chart looks right now like Brink 1, Rogers 2 and Arkelon Hall 3. But I think Hall will move up in the spring - he wasn't an Elite 11 QB for nothing. And the way it is set up with Morgan greyshirting there then redshirting, he and Hall are the same class.

Ironically, he and JT Diederichs graduated HS together. Diederichs enters WSU this fall as a junior, Morgan as a redshirt freshman.

Ronbo
December 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah I notice he's buried behind some premiere recruits out of High School. Looks like Cole will never see the field at WSU. He owes a big letter of thanks to his HS coach Jack Thompson for talking him out of coming to Montana.

Tribe4SF
December 24th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Watched the video, and the problems with mechanics are obvious. He sets the ball low before his motion, and appears to release it from the shoulder. He slings the ball with his arm, rather than extending his shoulder and right side through. If he can learn to deliver the ball from a higher position, and over the top, he'll get a quicker release, more rpm, more zip, and he won't have to wind up to throw deep. He looks athletic enough, and with his height and better mechanics, he could be ok.

CatFan22
December 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Congrats to the Bobcat faithful on your recruit, but I was just curious how Rasmussen can be a Pac-10 caliber quarterback and MSU be the only school to offer him a scholarship. :confused:

He was hurt a lot of this year which is why the Pac10 schools stayed away.

WashingtonPreps
December 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
He was hurt a lot of this year which is why the Pac10 schools stayed away.

He wasn't hurt this year. He was hurt his junior year (broken leg).

He does have a hitch in his throwing motion. But his ball is nice. If you have a Rivals subscription, here is a link to some video from one of his playoff games this year.

Curtis-Mountain View video (http://washingtonpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=476697)

CatFan22
December 25th, 2005, 12:54 AM

He does have a hitch in his throwing motion. But his ball is nice. If you have a Rivals subscription, here is a link to some video from one of his playoff games this year.

Curtis-Mountain View video (http://washingtonpreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=476697)

I just saw this quote from Scout.com on him.

2005 - High School Football:
Limited by injury all season, still threw for 839 yards with 12 TDs and only 3 INTs with a quarterback rating was 146.7.

That's where I got my info.

Tribe4SF
December 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Better look at him on those. He sees the field well and has good timing.

Nice rivals site you run. My home on Rivals is VirginiaPreps. Do you know Zirkle Blakey?

Obzerver
December 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
WashingtonPreps.com has to be the best Prep site going with links to everything a person wants to know about recruiting, rankings, inside stories, cooking and foxy chicks!

WashingtonPreps
December 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Better look at him on those. He sees the field well and has good timing.

Nice rivals site you run. My home on Rivals is VirginiaPreps. Do you know Zirkle Blakey?

Zirkle is THE MAN!

WashingtonPreps
December 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I just saw this quote from Scout.com on him.

2005 - High School Football:
Limited by injury all season, still threw for 839 yards with 12 TDs and only 3 INTs with a quarterback rating was 146.7.

That's where I got my info.

Those are his 2004 stats. I believe I included his 05 stats in the story. I'd look, but I'm trying to get all of the all-league teams up by tomorrow morning (yes, that means working on Christmas Day, although I did get a six-hour nap this morning after presents were opened :xmas: )

JALMOND
December 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Do not know anything about the kid, but if he does pan out, it would be one more in-stater that Willingham lost. UW is in dire need of a decent QB, too. This fact is why I'll hold off.

Lulay at least was given the opportunity to walk on at Oregon and Oregon State, but with both Clemens and Anderson, it might have been difficult to play. At least Lulay was approached by Pac-10.

Tribe4SF
December 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Zirkle is THE MAN!

Yes he is. Your's is the only Rivals state site I've seen that compares to what Z has going in Virginia. He and his brother Robert do an amazing job, including play-by-play updates from state championship games.

catbob
December 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I wish I could watch that Rivals video. :(

WashingtonPreps
December 27th, 2005, 08:11 PM
including play-by-play updates from state championship games.

I could do that if the Tacoma Dome had more than dial-up and two phone lines total for the dial-ups (usually both used by radio).

Tribe4SF
December 28th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I could do that if the Tacoma Dome had more than dial-up and two phone lines total for the dial-ups (usually both used by radio).

Wow! Prehistoric capability. They need to get a cable company as a sponsor.

WashingtonPreps
December 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
They had a deal with Comcast last year, but Comcast bailed out right before it was time to sign on the dotted line.