PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Picture Clearer?

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ok so the days games are almost complete (McNeese/Texas St & UNI/W Ill. in progress) I am predicting a McNeese & UNI Win

AB
CAA: Villanova
Big Sky: Montana
MVFC: S. Illinois
OVC: E. Illinois
SoCon: App St.
Southland: SF Austin
Patriot: Holy Cross
MEAC: S. Carolina St.

AL
W&M
Richmond
UNH
UNI
SDSU
Elon
McNeese St.
EWU

Last Out
Liberty
Weber St.
Montana St. (EDIT)
Lafayette
Colgate

(1)Nova vs Holy Cross
UNH vs EWU

(4)W&M vs Elon
App St. vs SCSt

(2) S. Illinois vs E. Illinois
Richmond vs UNI

(3) Montana vs McNeese St.
SF Austin vs SDSU

Liberty would be in if EWU falters. If both win next week, EWU looks just a little better at 7-3 vs FCS than Liberty's 8-2. That 8th win though could make the committee do funny things....

My first crack at it this year. Make your predictions!

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Your teams are right but i think the pairings way off....

Granted i'm a UM homer but we are ranked #1 and #2 in the two polls that count and should finish undefeated.

1)UM vs SDSU
EWU @ McNeese

SC St @ Appy
4) Richmond/W&M winner vs Elon

2)SIU vs Eastern Illinois
UNH @ Northern Iowa

SFA@Richmond/W&M loser
3)Nova vs Holy Cross

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
que liberty fans.....

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
que liberty fans.....

Already put my riot gear on

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm still hoping App gets the 4 seed... but, I wouldn't mind that bracket at all.

I think SC State will be hosting a game, though. They have the third highest attendance of playoff bound teams (20,552 average).

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm still hoping App gets the 4 seed... but, I wouldn't mind that bracket at all.

I think SC State will be hosting a game, though. They have the third highest attendance of playoff bound teams (20,552 average).

If it weren't for regionalization by the committee they definitely would. Could they outbid App if neither are seeded?????

jcmanson
November 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
:)

Here we come.

What if EWU loses at Northern Arizona next week? You think we're in?

SumItUp
November 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
que liberty fans.....

ok, I'm on que......or is it on cue.

I think the selections look accurate. From a Liberty perspective, 8-2 with a loss to WVU and JMU was going to require help. It still does. Some more teams were eliminated today. We'll just have to see what happens next week. I would give an edge to a 7-win Big Sky team for the last spot, but it's not a lock. One more week to play.

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Here we come.

You at 9-2 or Weber at 7-4. I think that 2 game swing will do it but not 100%. Liberty, WST, and EWU all have tough games next week and could lose. Maybe that (having trouble saying it) second Patriot team could get in....

iceman4221
November 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
SCSU could out bid every school in all of the previously posted scenario's except Montana and App State... If the NCAA committee wants the money we will be hosting a 1st round playoff game... xnodx

Tribe07
November 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I think a 9-2 Liberty should get in over a 7-4 EWU. But maybe that's the east coast bias in me... Cue the Big Sky chorus.

Dukie95
November 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
You at 9-2 or Weber at 7-4. I think that 2 game swing will do it but not 100%. Liberty, WST, and EWU all have tough games next week and could lose. Maybe that (having trouble saying it) second Patriot team could get in....

Or...dare I say it...one more CAA team...the next one out...that happens to have beaten Liberty. xwhistlex

Just kidding...that won't happen.

ejjones
November 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Ok so the days games are almost complete (McNeese/Texas St & UNI/W Ill. in progress) I am predicting a McNeese & UNI Win

AB

AL
W&M
Richmond
UNH
UNI
SDSU
Elon
McNeese St.
EWU

Last Out
Liberty
Weber St.
Lafayette
Colgate

(1)Nova vs Holy Cross
UNH vs EWU

(4)W&M vs Elon
App St. vs SCSt

Richmond vs UNI

SF Austin vs SDSU

Liberty would be in if EWU falters. If both win next week, EWU looks just a little better at 7-3 vs FCS than Liberty's 8-2. That 8th win though could make the committee do funny things....

I don't think the the NCAA will pair ASU vs SCSU. There is too much money at stake. Both teams are ranked in the top 4 for attendance. So someone is going to Boone and ELON or someone else is going to Orangeburg.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I think the lafayette loss today sealed your fate to stay home again this year. You still need some other games to go to go right for ya.

EWU must lose to NAU
Montana St must lose to Montana
Weber St must lose to Cal Poly

If these happen then i think you may be in....

But also in competition with you though very long shots are:

UC Davis
TX State
Lafayette
Colgate

In reality it will be Liberty vs a second team from the Big Sky and i dont think EWU and Weber St will both lose. MSU should be beaten by MT though

catbob
November 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Here we come.

Depends, if EWU loses, does the Big Sky only get one in? If MSU beats UM next week at home, the Cats finish 8-3 and most likely would be in over a 7-4 Weber team I think.

Tribe07
November 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Isn't EWU playing FBS Northern Arizona?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Isn't EWU playing FBS Northern Arizona?

Ummm.....not quite.....EWU is playing @ Big Sky Conference Northern Arizona......

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
no 7-4 team should get in. period.

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Depends, if EWU loses, does the Big Sky only get one in? If MSU beats UM next week at home, the Cats finish 8-3 and most likely would be in over a 7-4 Weber team I think.

Forgot about the Cats. Hope they win and send Montana on the road for the 2nd Round...

Cue "east coast bias" Griz fansxpopcornx

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Weber St at 7-4 would CRUSH Liberty.....and Liberty's 8 D-1 wins are hardly better than Weber's 7....Liberty's schedule outside of the WVU loss, JMU loss, and Lafayette win is a complete joke....

SumItUp
November 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Weber St at 7-4 would CRUSH Liberty.

I doubt it. I think Liberty will surprise some people if they are selected to participate in the playoffs. They won't be crushed by anyone.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
You got beat by a terrible JMU team......

Grizzaholic
November 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
(1)Nova vs Holy Cross
UNH vs EWU

(4)W&M vs Elon
App St. vs SCSt

Richmond vs UNI

SF Austin vs SDSU

Since 89Hen isn't on here I will play his part.

"WTF!!!! Why is Montana granted a seed. That is some BS. And another thing, not to mention why EWU is even IN the playoff field, why are they not on the same side of the bracket as Montana??????? What about Rationalization??????"

How did I do Hen?

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Um JMU won again today. If JMU didn't fumble at the 6 against Richmond, we would be 6-4 and have the same shot at the playoffs as Weber St. I believe. Alot of IFS don't make us good but with the right breaks like last year JMU could be up with the best really. Only losses could have been Nova and W&M.

Lots of teams could say the same but that doesn't make us bad anymore. We will finish .500 in conference and have a winning record if we beat Towson next week. Far cry from a 'bad' team.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah i admit "terrible" wasnt the right word but it is a really bad loss for liberty and their hopes of an at large.....

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah i admit "terrible" wasnt the right word but it is a really bad loss for liberty and their hopes of an at large.....

Agreedxthumbsupx

Quality of "W's" are lacking from the resume thanks to JMU loss

jcmanson
November 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
How is losing to a team that's in the top 18 of the GPI a "really bad loss"?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
How is losing to a team that's in the top 18 of the GPI a "really bad loss"?

Its bad because you lack anything that resembles a quality win.......

Screamin_Eagle174
November 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
If both EWU and NAU play like they did today, EWU will be in the playoffs.

jcmanson
November 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM

But you have to compare us to the teams we're fighting for the last spot with. A 7-4 Weber St team and/or a 8-3 EWU team. What on their resume is better than ours other than conference affiliation?

Poker Alan
November 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM

You would hope so, since the difference in their records is the Bobkitties head-to-head win over Weber St...

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Weber St beat EWU (a 8-3/7-4 and potential playoff team) and will have a W against Cal Poly who was ranked almost all year. 2 of 4 losses were to FBS teams and the others to UM (10-0) and Montana St (8-3/7-4 and potential playoff team)

EWU will have beaten Montana St(8-3/7-4)

All are better than your only W even worth mentioning against Lafayette that coulnt even win a very very weak conference

CamelCityAppFan
November 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
One thing is clear...all y'all that had Elon as the SoCon AQ all year were sadly mistaken. :)

Sader87
November 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Liberty beating Lafayette is a good win. Lafayette is a very solid club with big wins over Colgate, Penn and Harvard.

seattlespider
November 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
One thing is clear...all y'all that had Elon as the SoCon AQ all year were sadly mistaken. :)

I think Elon should concern themselves with winning next week. If they lose, they may very well miss the playoffs.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM
So in summary.....Liberty has their only "good" win over a team that will not be in the playoffs nor did lafayette beat any teams that will be in the playoffs......

jcmanson
November 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Nobody we'll be going up against will have a win over a playoff team either

Sader87
November 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Believe me, I could care less about Liberty but beating Lafayette is a good win. It's too bad Lafayette didn't pull that one out...having two PL teams in the play-offs would "class the joint up" a bit.

bigappfan10
November 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I remember a thread in september talking about the playoffs with a list of "in " teams and then a list of "possible" teams. App was in neither. Not even in the maybe category. Not even in the list of freaking teams that could possibly make the playoffs. (and i use freaking only because i have to). And everyone agreed. Apps done. They're home this year you all said.... If you can't get respect after this much success, I don't know what else you can do. To not even be in the realm of possibly making the playoffs?
I got your damn playoffs right here.

GolfingGriz
November 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM

If Montana State beats UM, then EWU will have a win over a playoff team.

4th and What?
November 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I think the lafayette loss today sealed your fate to stay home again this year. You still need some other games to go to go right for ya.

EWU must lose to NAU
Montana St must lose to Montana
Weber St must lose to Cal Poly

If these happen then i think you may be in....

There are other possibilities. An Elon loss at Samford (who has stepped it up a notch) next week could keep them home, an SD St loss at Western Ill keeps them home, or a UNI loss at Ill St (looks like they are crusing this week) keeps them home. A UNH loss to Maine would bring them in question as well. That's three-four spots up for grabs with a loss. And agreed, unless they all lose, I see the BSC getting at least 2 bids this year.

The Lafayette loss today hurt Liberty, and they definately need some help, but there are available spots for an at large, if teams blow it in the last week.

Where is Elon's quality win, UNI's quality win? Granted they have better wins than anything on Liberty's resume, but I don't see a true quality win either.

JMUNJ08
November 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I remember a thread in september talking about the playoffs with a list of "in " teams and then a list of "possible" teams. App was in neither. Not even in the maybe category. Not even in the list of freaking teams that could possibly make the playoffs. (and i use freaking only because i have to). And everyone agreed. Apps done. They're home this year you all said.... If you can't get respect after this much success, I don't know what else you can do. To not even be in the realm of possibly making the playoffs?

That thread was with SOS and to date what had happened. App was down early in the year and really needed to come through in weaker than normal conference. They are winning big now and no one ever REALLY counted them out. At that date, there was just nothing to stay 'possible' or 'in'.

CamelCityAppFan
November 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM

That's what losing at home by 5 in a hard fought game to a top tier OOC FCS opponent gets you. That's OK, looks like we are rolling into the playoffs this year relatively healthy (Coco the notable exception). I like App's chances in the playoffs.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I think Liberty should get a playoff spot given its long history of existence as a program. No school that I can recall has both existed and programmed throughout its history as frequently as has Liberty. Clearly it deserves credit for doing so.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
McNeese won...so SFA gets the Southland AQ with a win next week. if SFA loses and McNeese wins, Cowboys get the AQ.

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Agree with earlier poster. I see SCST hosting Elon. I see ASU hosting the loser of the WM/UR game. I think it stinks to pit to teams ranked in the 5-7 range against each other in the first round, but SCST's attendance numbers will likely garner them a first round home game.

Schfourteenteen
November 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I cant believe you guys! NO RESPECT for the MEAC!!! WHERE'S FAMU?!?

:D

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Agree with earlier poster. I see SCST hosting Elon. I see ASU hosting the loser of the WM/UR game. I think it stinks to pit to teams ranked in the 5-7 range against each other in the first round, but SCST's attendance numbers will likely garner them a first round home game.

agreed, they are too close in the polls to meet that early. both wm and ur have had to good of a season to have to go to boone in the 1st round.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM

AB

AL
W&M
Richmond
UNH
UNI
SDSU
Elon
McNeese St.
EWU

Last Out
Liberty
Weber St.
Montana St. (EDIT)
Lafayette
Colgate

First, forget Weber State in this scenario. Seven win teams ain't getting in.

Elon, McNeese and EWU, IMO, are all at risk for falling out of contention if they lose next weekend.

If Montana State wins, they're in. Period. And Montana gets a seed.

I think if Liberty and/or Lafayette win and get help, they're in, with Colgate only making it if everything goes thermonuclear with four or five teams losing in front of them.

Is UCA/McNeese on SLC*TV next week? If so, expect that feed to be jammed.... xlolx

Six games matter for the playoffs next weekend IMO:

Liberty@Stony Brook
Lafayette@Lehigh
Elon@Samford
UCA@McNeese
Montana State@Montana
EWU@NAU

Squealofthepig
November 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Quibble: If the Cats win the brawl next weekend, agree they are probably in. However, in that scenario, I don't think the Griz get a seed. The close game last weekend shows voters will punish the griz for not dominating, and a loss would probably drop them down to 9 or 10 or lower, in which case even with the computers they probably aren't a seed.

Liberty@Stony Brook
Lafayette@Lehigh
Elon@Samford
UCA@McNeese
Montana State@Montana
EWU@NAU

Barring other upsets. :)

pokefan02
November 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
SLCTV will announce the wild card game soon they will have 2 games this week Thursday and Saturday

Poker Alan
November 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
MSU beats the Griz, EWU wins, isn't that a possibility that all of a sudden, the BSC could get 3 teams in??

UNHFootballAlum
November 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
There are other possibilities. An Elon loss at Samford (who has stepped it up a notch) next week could keep them home, an SD St loss at Western Ill keeps them home, or a UNI loss at Ill St (looks like they are crusing this week) keeps them home. A UNH loss to Maine would bring them in question as well. That's three-four spots up for grabs with a loss. And agreed, unless they all lose, I see the BSC getting at least 2 bids this year.

There is no way that if UNH loses next week and ends up 8-3 with a win over a top 3 team that the committee will leave them out of the playoffs in favor of Liberty.....What are you smoking?

ThompsonThe
November 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Um JMU won again today. If JMU didn't fumble at the 6 against Richmond, we would be 6-4 and have the same shot at the playoffs as Weber St. I believe. Alot of IFS don't make us good but with the right breaks like last year JMU could be up with the best really. Only losses could have been Nova and W&M.

Lots of teams could say the same but that doesn't make us bad anymore. We will finish .500 in conference and have a winning record if we beat Towson next week. Far cry from a 'bad' team.

Actually JMU is a pretty good team. Saw them play on channel surfing a couple of times.....last year they got all the breaks, this year, not so much.

R.A.
November 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM

AB

AL
W&M
Richmond
UNH
UNI
SDSU
Elon
McNeese St.
EWU

Last Out
Liberty
Weber St.
Montana St. (EDIT)
Lafayette
Colgate

(1)Nova vs Holy Cross
UNH vs EWU

(4)W&M vs Elon
App St. vs SCSt

Elon @ South Carolina State is almost a lock at this point.

ThompsonThe
November 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
agreed, they are too close in the polls to meet that early. both wm and ur have had to good of a season to have to go to boone in the 1st round.

I would think that if McNeese gets in, they might travel to Boone in first or second round. They looked good in coming back and beating Texas State tonight. I would like to see App State give them some pay back. At least Armanti has had more than 2 days practice in the past year, no almost cut off foot to worry about, and it would be a great game for App to get some real enthusiastic crowd going around Thanksgiving.

crossfire07
November 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I don't think you will ever see an SLC team in Boone the first round. They send the SLC west, not east in the first round.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Here's my crack at it:

Holy Cross
@ (1) Villanova

Elon
@ SC State

McNeese
@ (4) Richmond

W&M
@ Appalachian St.

SFA
@ (2) Montana

E Wash.
@ SDSU

EIU
@ (3) SIU

UNH
@ UNI

ThompsonThe
November 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM

What got me about that is that Appalachian does this about every other year. Lose a couple of games early on to some tough schools. I remember us losing to LSU and Kansas and everyone saying no way we would get in. Your teams finds out a lot about itself early on if you take the time to learn from it. It can make you a lot stronger.
Yeah, a lot of people were writing us off, just like they have so many times. They still have no faith.
I just hate that we are playing Florida so late in the year next year.

proasu89
November 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
What got me about that is that Appalachian does this about every other year. Lose a couple of games early on to some tough schools. I remember us losing to LSU and Kansas and everyone saying no way we would get in. Your teams finds out a lot about itself early on if you take the time to learn from it. It can make you a lot stronger.
Yeah, a lot of people were writing us off, just like they have so many times. They still have no faith.
I just hate that we are playing Florida so late in the year next year.

Other than the possiblity of injuries right before the playoffs, I think it's great to play that caliber of a team heading into the playoffs. I think the November 05 game against LSU really helped prepare them for the playoffs.xtwocentsx

ToTheLeft
November 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
que liberty fans.....

Having us as the last team out (or among the last teams out) is about right. Having us out of the picture is wrong. Not much went our way today except for our win, so we need some help, and most of us know it. xthumbsupx

SuperJon
November 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
The Lafayette loss today really hurt our chances. We would've had a win over a playoff team had that been the case (which is the only way a Big South team has ever gotten in).

With that being said, there is absolutely no way Lafayette gets in as an at-large over Liberty.

And as an aside, Liberty just became HUGE Samford fans.

knucklehead
November 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Having us as the last team out (or among the last teams out) is about right. Having us out of the picture is wrong. Not much went our way today except for our win, so we need some help, and most of us know it. xthumbsupx

Yea, I agree. Laffy let us down, and several other games swung the wrong way. We still need to win next week on Long Island and some help. I still wonder what the committee does if LU is 9-2 and its between us and some "old school" conference has 7 wins. I just don't think taking the 7 win team in that case is the right choice.

McTailGator
November 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM

AB

AL
W&M
Richmond
UNH
UNI
SDSU
Elon
McNeese St.
EWU

Last Out
Liberty
Weber St.
Montana St. (EDIT)
Lafayette
Colgate

(1)Nova vs Holy Cross
UNH vs EWU

(4)W&M vs Elon
App St. vs SCSt

Richmond vs UNI

SF Austin vs SDSU

McNese will hose a first round game, even if we don't get the AQ, and SFA has to travel.

It sucks if your SFA, but we do put more peeps in the stands than they do, and we are ranked higer, even with our brain fart loss to them.

Go ahead, ARGUE, but it WILL happen as long as we win next week in The Hole.

Attendance and gurantee money and reputation rules.

iceman4221
November 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Here's my crack at it:

Holy Cross
@ (1) Villanova

Elon
@ SC State

McNeese
@ (4) Richmond

W&M
@ Appalachian St.

SFA
@ (2) Montana

E Wash.
@ SDSU

EIU
@ (3) SIU

UNH
@ UNI

That looks about as accurate a prediction as can be expected given our current game results...

Appattk
November 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
EIU @
#1 SIU

Elon @
SCSU

William & Mary @
ASU

Liberty @
#4 Richmond

SDSU @
#2 Montana

SF Austin @
UNI

UNH @
McNeese St

Holy Cross @
#3 Villanova

ASU_MBA
November 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Have fun at SC STATE...... ELOAN!
Sorry liberty but I think the Laf. loss put another nail in your playoff casket.

Mountaineer#96
November 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I would put a Liberty squad that took WVU to the wire in my bracket.............

Montana_Mojo
November 15th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Auto Bids

Colonial: Villanova
Missouri Valley: Southern Illinois
Ohio Valley: Eastern Illinois
MEAC: South Carolina State
Southern: Appalachian State
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Large Bids

-Weber State
-William & Mary
-Richmond
-New Hampshire
-Northern Iowa
-South Dakota State
-Elon
-McNeese State

Seeds:

#1 Villanova
#2 Southern Illinois
#3 Montana
#4 Richmond

PLAYOFF BRACKET I

Holy Cross at #1 Villanova
Elon at South Carolina State

William & Mary at Appalachian State
Eastern Illinois at #4 Richmond

PLAYOFF BRACKET II

Weber State at #2 Southern Illinois
South Dakota State at McNeese State

New Hampshire at Northern Iowa
Stephen F. Austin at #3 Montana

boonegoon
November 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Dang W & M first round. That would be pretty epic.

knucklehead
November 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I would put a Liberty squad that took WVU to the wire in my bracket.............

xthumbsupx I'm with him.

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Can we please get some team other than UNH to come to the UNI-Dome. I mean I enjoyed our epic matchups with them as much as the next guy, but I like to see different teams every once and a while. It almost ends up as a 9th conference game with as much as we get to play them.

nmatsen
November 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Do you think the committee gets tired of sending UNH to the dome and says that they might as well send EIU to the Dome this year and give UNH to SIU?

UNH is still flying approximately the same amount, and EIU would be driving about 1.5-2 more hours. But, in the long run, wouldn't it be awesome to not play UNH in the first round? I am getting so sick of it!

MasonJar
November 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
SCSU could out bid every school in all of the previously posted scenario's except Montana and App State... If the NCAA committee wants the money we will be hosting a 1st round playoff game... xnodx

Yeah, I think you guys have to host at least first round. I kindof see the top 4 seeds being SoIll, Montana, Villanova and AppSt. I know I am kindof a homer here and not trying to slight any of the other top teams.

Just got a feeling that with attendance, past history (although probably shouldn't count but may anyway), that App gets a seed. That would put seeds in the west, Midwest, Northeast and South. CAA could get two seeds, but will depend on next weeks outcomes and selection committee's strategy.

4th and What?
November 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
There is no way that if UNH loses next week and ends up 8-3 with a win over a top 3 team that the committee will leave them out of the playoffs in favor of Liberty.....What are you smoking?

Do they still get in? I think so, but is there an argument there? Losses to UMass and Maine are not good, the Ball State win is hardly a quality win so UNH's only quality win is Villanova with two questionable losses.

Do they still get in? I think so, the win against Villanova is a huge one, but are there holes in your resume? Definately.

Why is Liberty assured to miss the playoffs because of a loss to a JMU team that beat both Maine and UMass, but questioning a resume with a loss to both UMass and Maine means I am smoking something? Maine got into the playoffs last year, and one of the big reasons the committee listed was a lack of bad losses......

WSBE
November 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I would love to see some more predictions from you guys under the scenario that W&M beats Richmond next week....cause I think that's going to happen.

Dane96
November 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Really-- how so? You know the finances of all schools?

For the record, bidding has NOTHING to do about attendance (though of course the committee likes a nice packed house) but flat cold cash; it's called a guarantee. So, if any school, no matter the size, says I have XXXX dollars the NCAA will go there. Now, the school better hope it makes the $$$ back...but making it back doesnt mean this year...it could be next...it could be recruiting tool...etc.

That said, I see it very likely that SCSU hosts!

Dane96
November 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
nm

Dane96
November 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Huh...hmmm...so I see.

Show me Weber's quality win....I am still lookiing for it. Wait, you say N. Arizona....xcoffeex

OL FU
November 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Seems very possible that Elon might be making the trip to Orangeburg. xnodx

OL FU
November 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Really-- how so? You know the finances of all schools?

For the record, bidding has NOTHING to do about attendance (though of course the committee likes a nice packed house) but flat cold cash; it's called a guarantee.

So, if any school, no matter the size, says I have XXXX dollars the NCAA will go there. Now, the school better hope it makes the $$$ back...but making it back doesnt mean this year...it could be next...it could be recruiting tool...etc.

I assume that he assumes the bids are based on attendance. I think it is a good assumption. I know (or at least I think I know) Furman used to bid high during the 80s much more than attendance would justify. We wouldn't do that now (of course we don't have to worry about it). 15,000 at $20 bucks a head would give SC State a lot of leverage in bidding.

Saluki_man
November 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Auto Bids

At-Large Bids

-Weber State
-William & Mary
-Richmond
-New Hampshire
-Northern Iowa
-South Dakota State
-Elon
-McNeese State

Seeds:

#1 Villanova
#2 Southern Illinois
#3 Montana
#4 Richmond

PLAYOFF BRACKET I

PLAYOFF BRACKET II

If EIU is in the field, they are almost certian to go to Carbondale.

SuperJon
November 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Seems very possible that Elon might be making the trip to Orangeburg. xnodx

They gotta beat Samford first. We saw last year what happened when they lost to App in week 11 and then had a big game in week 12.

Saluki_man
November 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
My playoff bracket:

Eastern Illinois at #1 Southern Illinois
New Hampshire at McNeese State

Stephen F. Austin at #4 Richmond

Holy Cross at #3 Villanova

Weber St. at Northern Iowa
South Dakota St. at #2 Montana

Although I expect this to change by next Sunday.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Can we please get some team other than UNH to come to the UNI-Dome. I mean I enjoyed our epic matchups with them as much as the next guy, but I like to see different teams every once and a while. It almost ends up as a 9th conference game with as much as we get to play them.

Agreed. I also think UNI is the most dangerous team in the country. A team that was drawing #1 votes and still has a ton of good talent is not a team I want to draw in the first round, IMO.

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
How does the playoff committee look at early season losses vs. late season losses?

NDB
November 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
interesting factoid.

UNI has 1 win against a team with winning record: Missouri State.

SDSU has 2 wins: Missouri State and UNI.

SuperJon
November 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
If everything goes as planned next week, Liberty will have wins over three teams with winning records. Granted, two of those will be 6-5 with wins over some bad teams, but I just felt like pointing it out.

WMTribe90
November 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
How does the playoff committee look at early season losses vs. late season losses?

A loss is a loss, some schedules are front loaded with tough opponents and some schedules are back loaded with tough games.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM
WITH ONE WEEK LEFT, HERE IS MY "PREDICTION"

SEEDS
1. Villanova
2. Montana
3. Southern Illinois
4. Richmond

AQ
South Carolina St.
Eastern Ill.
Holy Cross
Appalachian St.
McNeese State

At-Large
William & Mary
Elon
New Hampshire
S.F. Austin
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
E. Washington

First Round
Holy Cross Vs. (1) Villanova
Elon Vs. South Carolina St.

S.F. Austin Vs. (2) Montana
New Hampshire Vs. Northern Iowa

E. Washington Vs. (3) Southern Ill.
South Dakota St. Vs. McNeese St.

E. Illinois Vs. (4) Richmond
William & Mary Vs. Appalachian St.

Chi Panther
November 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
interesting factoid.

UNI has 1 win against a team with winning record: Missouri State.

SDSU has 2 wins: Missouri State and UNI.

Good points. I'd also point out that, they along with SIU will show up against good competition.....IE Iowa, Minnesota and Marshall. What was the combined point loss to those teams....

CDT_Wilson
November 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I am a little of a homer but if you watched UNI's 3 losses this year they more lost the game then got beat (if that makes sense). I think UNI is going to be as good as they want to be. It is hit or miss as to which team will show up.

jcmanson
November 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
You can say what you want but Liberty's resume compared to a 7-4 Weber St and/or an 8-3 EWU team are very similar. None of those teams have marquee wins and none of them have bad losses. Actually, I think Liberty's losses are "better" than WSU and EWU. It would be an interesting decision for the committee.

B&G
November 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know why but I can not shake the feeling that ASU will play Stephen F Austin in the first round.

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I don't know why but I can not shake the feeling that ASU will play Stephen F Austin in the first round.

Not going to happen.

If Liberty gets in, there will be 6 teams within 4-6 hours driving of each other (Liberty, ASU, SC ST, Elon, UR and W&M) and they will play each other due to regionalization.

If Liberty does not get in, there will be 5 teams within a 4-6 hours driving of each other. SC. St will be put against Elon or ASU, the other of Elon or ASU will be against either W&M or UR so that leaves the other of W&M or UR left as the team that will have to travel far or host a team that will travel far.

Houndawg
November 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I am a little of a homer but if you watched UNI's 3 losses this year they more lost the game then got beat (if that makes sense). I think UNI is going to be as good as they want to be. It is hit or miss as to which team will show up.

Actually, you pretty much can tell by the record of their opponent.xcoffeex

B&G
November 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Not going to happen.

If Liberty gets in, there will be 6 teams within 4-6 hours driving of each other (Liberty, ASU, SC ST, Elon, UR and W&M) and they will play each other due to regionalization.

If Liberty does not get in, there will be 5 teams within a 4-6 hours driving of each other. SC. St will be put against Elon or ASU, the other of Elon or ASU will be against either W&M or UR so that leaves the other of W&M or UR left as the team that will have to travel far or host a team that will travel far.

Maybe one of the CAA teams goes to SCSU and the other hosts Elon... but I get what you're saying.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe one of the CAA teams goes to SCSU and the other hosts Elon... but I get what you're saying.

Williamsburg to Orangeburg is 436 miles... does that mean it would be a flying game?

Richmond to Orangeburg is 398 miles, which I think falls just inside the driving limit?

W&M+Richmond+App State+other team is a deadly grouping

tandemlax
November 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Though this seems a bit unlikely given the regionalization scenarios tossed out by other posters, the W&M fan in me would love to see someone other than the tribe going to Boone. It seems that the collective wisdom on the board has W&M traveling to App St. Mixed feelings about this- I'd love to have a home game against a team not quite as hot as App St, but somewhere on the road to Chattanooga you have to beat the best in tough conditions. There might be no better way to kick off a run to the NC than to take our defense into KB for a stiff test.

Or we could just beat the spiders.

benuski
November 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
As a WM fan, I'm hoping that Liberty gets in; if they do, I doubt the WM/UR loser and App St. will be playing in the first round.

MSU_77
November 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
WITH ONE WEEK LEFT, HERE IS MY "PREDICTION"

SEEDS
1. Villanova
2. Montana
3. Southern Illinois
4. Richmond

AQ
South Carolina St.
Eastern Ill.
Holy Cross
Appalachian St.
McNeese State

At-Large
William & Mary
Elon
New Hampshire
S.F. Austin
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
E. Washington

First Round
Holy Cross Vs. (1) Villanova
Elon Vs. South Carolina St.

S.F. Austin Vs. (2) Montana
New Hampshire Vs. Northern Iowa

E. Washington Vs. (3) Southern Ill.
South Dakota St. Vs. McNeese St.

E. Illinois Vs. (4) Richmond
William & Mary Vs. Appalachian St.

So, you think SFA will lose next Saturday against 0-10 NWST? I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Regardless, if McNeese wins, they will host 1 or 2 playoff games.

drpnut
November 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Right now I'm not sold on Elon making it in...

Will they fold again, or will they make it through...

Sammy will be tough in B'Ham... If Chris eVans runs like he did against Woffy and they control the clock it will be lights out for the Flaming Bird...

To quote the "Peas" -- "I gotta feelin'"

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
So, you think SFA will lose next Saturday against 0-10 NWST? I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Regardless, if McNeese wins, they will host 1 or 2 playoff games.

Thanks for pointing that out. ESPN has McNeese St. first in the standings.
BTW: I gave you all the home game :D

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
But you have to compare us to the teams we're fighting for the last spot with. A 7-4 Weber St team and/or a 8-3 EWU team. What on their resume is better than ours other than conference affiliation?

I think everyone is forgetting Montana State at 7-3. They are ahead of Liberty right now, regardless what happens next week. But if Montana State wins next week versus the vaunted Grizzlies, and EWU beats NAU on the road, that leaves Weber, Montana State and Eastern Washington tied for second in the BSC. Montana State in that scenario would be the only team tied for second to beat the Grizzlies. That would put them in ahead of EWU, WSU and definitely Liberty.xreadx

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM

When Montana State beats the Grizzlies, this will be inacurate.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM

We're talking 2009, not 2013 or 14. xcoffeex

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
First, forget Weber State in this scenario. Seven win teams ain't getting in.

Elon, McNeese and EWU, IMO, are all at risk for falling out of contention if they lose next weekend.

I think if Liberty and/or Lafayette win and get help, they're in, with Colgate only making it if everything goes thermonuclear with four or five teams losing in front of them.

Is UCA/McNeese on SLC*TV next week? If so, expect that feed to be jammed.... xlolx

Liberty@Stony Brook
Lafayette@Lehigh
Elon@Samford
UCA@McNeese
Montana State@Montana
EWU@NAU

Here's someone who knows what they are talking about. Although the Montana/Montana State game is in Bozeman, so MSU is hosting.xthumbsupx

SuperJon
November 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Sammy will be tough in B'Ham... If Chris eVans runs like he did against Woffy and they control the clock it will be lights out for the Flaming Bird...

I've got the same feeling, but mine is a little clouded by hope.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
You can say what you want but Liberty's resume compared to a 7-4 Weber St and/or an 8-3 EWU team are very similar. None of those teams have marquee wins and none of them have bad losses. Actually, I think Liberty's losses are "better" than WSU and EWU. It would be an interesting decision for the committee.

If Liberty were in the BSC, they'd win 4 games TOPS against fellow conference members (ISU, PSU, UNC, and maybe pull of an upset against Sac or NAU).

ToTheLeft
November 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM

As do I. I was all about Elon, but they're showing symptoms of pulling a "Mets" like they have before...

jcmanson
November 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I think everyone is forgetting Montana State at 7-3. They are ahead of Liberty right now, regardless what happens next week. But if Montana State wins next week versus the vaunted Grizzlies, and EWU beats NAU on the road, that leaves Weber, Montana State and Eastern Washington tied for second in the BSC. Montana State in that scenario would be the only team tied for second to beat the Grizzlies. That would put them in ahead of EWU, WSU and definitely Liberty.xreadx

I'm not forgetting them. If Montana St beats Montana they are in. No questions asked. They are in ahead of Liberty, EWU, and WSU.

jcmanson
November 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
If Liberty were in the BSC, they'd win 4 games TOPS against fellow conference members (ISU, PSU, UNC, and maybe pull of an upset against Sac or NAU).

I love these statements. You don't know that. I don't know that. It's a pointless statement.

ToTheLeft
November 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM

This is the biggest load of crap in sports history. You know nothing about LU and how they stack up against other teams. The only thing you're using is homer speculation. I wish there was some way we could get a BSC team in the playoffs, but the only one we could get would be Montana, and that wouldn't happen anyways.

srgrizizen
November 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I have no idea how Liberty would do against these teams, and I find all these claims about unplayed games pure hot air. However, without trying to make a comparison with other eligible teams, I DO think EWU would be a great addition to the field, and might possibly be the most dangerous team as far as pulling an "upset" against a higher ranked team. Matt Ryan and Taiwan Jones have to be two of the best at their positions in the FCS, and I'd like to see them have chance to showcase their talent outside the BSC. If they win and UM beats the Bobcats, I think they're in. But if MSU beats the Griz, they're in.xtwocentsx

Cincy App
November 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Hillarious statement from a conference that has always been a one trick pony.

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
We're talking 2009, not 2013 or 14. xcoffeex

Whatever. MSU almost beat you playing the 2nd string defense and with no kicker and punter (all out due to Swine Flu), at your place no less. with either our kicker (or our punter) who is the back up kicker, MSU beats EWU by two scores that day, regardless of playing 8 people on defense who were second string

Mark it down. If MSU beats UM, they are in before EWU, I don't care what you think.

See, theres a funny little thing about being tied with EWU and Weber for second in the BSC. MSU would be the only one with a win over the Griz.

I know you are just worried that it might happenxwhistlex

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hillarious statement from a conference that has always been a one trick pony.

Hilarious statement from someone who knows nothing about FCS playoff football.

Ask S. Illinois and McNeese (both seeded teams) how the second place Big Sky teams plays during the playoffs.

Not to mention the toughest games the 06 App State team and the 07 App St team faced during their championship runs were the second place MSU bobcats and the second place EWU eagles.

Clown.xwhistlex

KiddBrewer
November 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Ask S. Illinois and McNeese (both seeded teams) how the second place Big Sky teams plays during the playoffs.

Not to mention the toughest games the 06 App State team and the 07 App St team faced during their championship runs were the second place MSU bobcats and the second place EWU eagles.

Clown.xwhistlex

hmmmm FAIL

i think we played a James Madison team that i remember being pretty tough somewhere in there.......xnonox

and....we beat the cats by 21, an easy 21.....

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
As long as either EWU or MSU wins saturday the BSC will have two teams in the field. Sorry Liberty, it is out of your hands.

MacThor
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Not going to happen.

Even with regionalization last year, UR,ASU,SCSU & EKU were put in the opposite bracket from JMU, Wofford, Villanova & Colgate. I thought the committee did a pretty good job regionalizing the quarters without turning the whole tourney into an East v West bracket.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Clown.xwhistlex

Suit yourself. I've followed playoff football closely for a long time. Neither playoff games mentioned were that close. Nothing like some of the battles we have had against CAA teams. By the way, Montana is the only BS member to have beaten ASU. MSU, EWU and UNA have all failed. Liberty has beaten ASU though...

Anyway, please send another Big Sky team to Boone! Please!!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I haven't hit the save button just quite yet :p

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/bracket-sample1a.jpg

I put Liberty in hoping they will for the most part STFU (we love you guys but I'm getting tired of all the "lobbying").

It's kinda wacky but I have an explanation (excuse? xlolx) for each bracket. There are three matchups I think you can move between the seeds but I think it makes it even more convoluted than I've made it.

This is too much like work - LOL

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Suit yourself. I've followed playoff football closely for a long time. Neither playoff games mentioned were that close. Nothing like some of the battles we have had against CAA teams. By the way, Montana is the only BS member to have beaten ASU. MSU, EWU and UNA have all failed. Liberty has beaten ASU though...

Anyway, please send another Big Sky team to Boone! Please!!

When did Liberty beat ASU. Obviously not in the playoffs because they have never been there...

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
To make things easy, switch UNH with SF Austin. UNH can't play W&M or Richmond in the first round.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
ASU owned Montana St. and other than the EWU return game ASU owned them too.

Liberty beat ASU in 1997.

Aho you can't have 2 CAA members play each other in round 1.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
To make things easy, switch UNH with SF Austin. UNH can't play W&M or Richmond in the first round.

I would like either of these, ASU owes SFA for the 1995 game and I'd just like to shut UNH fans up.

SuperJon
November 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
97 was maybe Liberty's best season ever. Last year's the one year that could compare with that 97 team. This year could also put up an argument.

rcny46
November 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I would like either of these, ASU owes SFA for the 1995 game and I'd just like to shut UNH fans up.

Thanks for the endorsement.Appreciate it.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM

UNH fans do like to talk alot. Interesting since the CAA North is much weaker than the CAA South. UNH's schedule has not been that strong - unlike what South members Delaware and JMU have faced.

seattlespider
November 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I haven't hit the save button just quite yet :p

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/bracket-sample1a.jpg

I put Liberty in hoping they will for the most part STFU (we love you guys but I'm getting tired of all the "lobbying").

It's kinda wacky but I have an explanation (excuse? xlolx) for each bracket. There are three matchups I think you can move between the seeds but I think it makes it even more convoluted than I've made it.

This is too much like work - LOL

UR/W&M loser can't play New Hampshire in the first round. The committee won't have conference opponents play in the first round. Other than that, not bad.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM

I understand.

I'm suggesting the NCAA create a final 'regular season' game for you guys since yah didn't play each other xeyebrowx How's that working for you guys? - LOL

Are we really going to send UNH to UNI again ???

I just don't see the UR/W&M/App first round scenario against each other. I think that they are part of a 'top tier' of maybe 7 teams with a 2nd tier block of 6 teams that are nearly interchangeable (one could easily argue them up or down in the bracket).

I also semi-ignored the regional aspect and tried to do a conventional 16-team bracket by ranking everyone 1-16 --- and tried to keep any 'rematches' for the semis (except for UNI/SIU) and finals. Sorry 'bout that, UNI.

Yall come up with anything else let me know --- I'm prepared to put E-Dub in the mix but don't want to be pilloried by the Liberty fans just quite yet. (Stone him! Stone him!)

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I understand.

I'm suggesting the NCAA create a final 'regular season' game for you guys since yah didn't play each other xeyebrowx How's that working for you guys? - LOL

Are we really going to send UNH to UNI again ???

I just don't see the UR/W&M/App first round scenario against each other. I think that they are part of a 'top tier' of maybe 7 teams with a 2nd tier block of 6 teams that are nearly interchangeable (one could easily argue them up or down in the bracket).

I also semi-ignored the regional aspect and tried to do a conventional 16-team bracket by ranking everyone 1-16 --- and tried to keep any 'rematches' for the semis (except for UNI/SIU) and finals. Sorry 'bout that, UNI.

Yall come up with anything else let me know --- I'm prepared to put E-Dub in the mix but don't want to be pilloried by the Liberty fans just quite yet. (Stone him! Stone him!)

your bracket looks good switching SFA and UNH... Richmond/W&M/ASU being in the same 4 team group would be kind of ridiculous.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Okay --- switching SFA and UNH.

Paging UNH ... Paging UNH. You guys want the Apps at the Rock?

I'm waiting for the Big Sky guys to give me a reason to drop Liberty and/or UNI for a little 'Last Best Place Love' ...

MacThor
November 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I really do think the committee will try to put ASU & Richmond in opposite brackets this year.

The only team to beat these Spiders in the playoffs? ASU
The only team to beat this ASU in the playoffs? Richmond

santosballnewhampshire
November 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Is there any chance of an at large birth coming from the Patriot League? Or do they just not typically get those?xcoolx

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Is there any chance of an at large birth coming from the Patriot League? Or do they just not typically get those?xcoolx

Not this year. Lafayette would be the only team with a chance at an at large. However, Lafayette lost at home to Liberty. No way does Lafayette get in over Liberty. Holy Cross is the only rep for the Patriot this year.

santosballnewhampshire
November 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Not this year. Lafayette would be the only team with a chance at an at large. However, Lafayette lost at home to Liberty. No way does Lafayette get in over Liberty. Holy Cross is the only rep for the Patriot this year.

Aight thanks dude.xcoolx

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Yes, I hate to let facts get in the way of, you know, opinions. At 8-2, UNH is still a CLEARLY better team than Appalachian State. Look at the quality of W. That said, not a chance UNH will be above Appalachian State in the poll. I'd welcome going to Kidd-Brewer, frankly, but much more than I'd want to go to the UNI-Dome.

With the exception of ECU, I feel pretty confident that any of the CAA's top 4 would have a better defense than anything App has seen this year. Elon's D rating was inflated from playing terrible teams.

Get off your high horse.

ASU_MBA
November 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, I hate to let facts get in the way of, you know, opinions. At 8-2, UNH is still a CLEARLY better team than Appalachian State. Look at the quality of W. That said, not a chance UNH will be above Appalachian State in the poll. I'd welcome going to Kidd-Brewer, frankly, but much more than I'd want to go to the UNI-Dome.

With the exception of ECU, I feel pretty confident that any of the CAA's top 4 would have a better defense than anything App has seen this year. Elon's D rating was inflated from playing terrible teams.

Get off your high horse.

Come on down....our offense will be like nothing you have seen before....I am not super impressed by any CAA offense, so how can we judge the D?

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
UNH beat your chest like always in the regular season and then take that annual exit in the first or second round.

I spoke to some RI fans about that vaulted UNH defense they were very impressed.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
UNH beat your chest like always in the regular season and then take that annual exit in the first or second round.

I spoke to some RI fans about that vaulted UNH defense they were very impressed.

Yes, as an ASU fan I'm sure you're not used to a bad week or 5 this season. C'mon..you almost lost to UTC and The Citadel. The week after that UNH allowed 20 points to W&M, a 9-1 team who's ranked top 5 in the country and has some nice victories to back up the claim, even.

Can't dismiss the former claim, though. UNH is not great come playoff time, though if they had the luxury of playing games at home more often than not I think they'd have more success than they do.

NSUSPARTAN
November 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Do you think SC ST may host Elon?

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Do you think SC ST may host Elon?

I think it's a likely. Who knows though.

CrunchGriz
November 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Get off your high horse.

I don't have a dog in this fight (I'm completely neutral on the issue, being a Griz fan), but how can you possibly make this statement?

Do the Wildcats and Mountaineers have a common opponent to help you gauge them? No. That's the best gauge you could have, and even that's a stupid transitive property calculation that has only a tenuous relationship to how the two teams would fare against each other.

If you've seen them both play multiple games, then you have some (subjective) insight into how relatively good the two teams are. Otherwise, it's just pure opinion and speculation.

Not to mention that ASU has a player on its roster that almost everyone in FCS admits is the best player in the division, a player who can help overcome his team's deficiencies. As much as I hate to say it, Armanti is the kind of player who can will his team to a win, one of those "once per generation" types that upset any kind of metric you can devise to measure one team against another.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Not to mention that ASU has a player on its roster that almost everyone in FCS admits is the best player in the division, a player who can help overcome his team's deficiencies. As much as I hate to say it, Armanti is the kind of player who can will his team to a win, one of those "once per generation" types that upset any kind of metric you can devise to measure one team against another.

Those deficiencies were evident on the defensive side of the ball. With the changes in personnel the majority of those were corrected.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I think ASU/UNH would be a very interesting game. They are ranked (IMO correctly) closely in the polls. Would be a good game. I don't think you can argue either one of them is "clearly better" than the other.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight (I'm completely neutral on the issue, being a Griz fan), but how can you possibly make this statement?

Do the Wildcats and Mountaineers have a common opponent to help you gauge them? No. That's the best gauge you could have, and even that's a stupid transitive property calculation that has only a tenuous relationship to how the two teams would fare against each other.

If you've seen them both play multiple games, then you have some (subjective) insight into how relatively good the two teams are. Otherwise, it's just pure opinion and speculation.

Well, "clearly" is probably the wrong statement but UNH "clearly" has a better resume. Appalachian State doesn't have a win over anyone as good as 'Nova, though they haven't had the opportunity.

They COULD be better than UNH, but there's no way of knowing. There is a way of knowing that UNH can beat a top flight team...we don't have that for ASU. So it's fact vs. conjecture.

AshevilleApp
November 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
So App gets punished for a down year in the SoCon? I mean you can only play your schedule. If thats the case, that's fine, I have a feeling they will be playing in the playoffs with something to prove regardless who they match up with.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
It's hard to rank App higher than #5 because they have 2 losses, and don't have any wins that say "we deserved to be ranked in the top 4"

If one of the other teams (besides the WM/UR loser) ahead of them loses this week, ASU should get a seed.

AshevilleApp
November 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
It'll never happen because of the regionality and money issues but I'd love for them to seed out the top 8

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
App last week 1 and week 2

We have beaten our last 4 opponents by 2 TDs

This team is getting better every week and the experience of the big games is crucial.

We haven't looked like the best all season, but our better is better than your better.

I haven't seen a team play that I have looked at and said, "wow, they might be better than us."

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
It'll never happen because of the regionality and money issues but I'd love for them to seed out the top 8

definitely agree... it will be very unfortunate if UR/WM/ASU end up in the same 4 team grouping, which is a real possibility.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
App last week 1 and week 2

We have beaten our last 4 opponents by 2 TDs

This team is getting better every week and the experience of the big games is crucial.

We haven't looked like the best all season, but our better is better than your better.

I haven't seen a team play that I have looked at and said, "wow, they might be better than us."

None of those say "we belong ranked in the top 4"... they do say "we have a solid chance to win the National Championship" though.

KiddBrewer
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
So App gets punished for a down year in the SoCon? I mean you can only play your schedule. If thats the case, that's fine, I have a feeling they will be playing in the playoffs with something to prove regardless who they match up with.

yeaaaa, but if we dont play NCCU and don't lose to McNeese....this probably isn't even an issuexcoffeex

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
If ASU had scheduled some NEC school instead of McNeese ASU would be the #2 seed. I like scheduling the top FCS programs though makes for a better regular season.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If ASU had scheduled some NEC school instead of McNeese ASU would be the #2 seed. I like scheduling the top FCS programs though makes for a better regular season.

ASU had a tougher OOC, but UNH also played Villanova and W&M in conference, who are vastly superior to your best two FCS opponents in McNeese and Elon.

kirkblitz
November 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
lib in. vote lib for president

mcveyrl
November 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
lib in. vote lib for president

It's amazing how something can go from mildly funny to absolute troll status.

kirkblitz
November 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It's amazing how something can go from mildly funny to absolute troll status.

your Bias is strong

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
ASU had a tougher OOC, but UNH also played Villanova and W&M in conference, who are vastly superior to your best two FCS opponents in McNeese and Elon.

"Vastly" - that is an opinion.

I'm not trying to compare ASU to UNH or anyone with my statement. Just a statement that a 10-1 ASU team with a 5 point loss to ECU with their backup QB, 2 beatings of lesser OOC teams and 8-0 in the SoCon would have been a top 2 seed.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
your Bias is strong

Pot, meet Kettle.

sluki86
November 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
your Bias is strong

I have no bias. It's really annoying.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I would think that if McNeese gets in, they might travel to Boone in first or second round. They looked good in coming back and beating Texas State tonight. I would like to see App State give them some pay back. At least Armanti has had more than 2 days practice in the past year, no almost cut off foot to worry about, and it would be a great game for App to get some real enthusiastic crowd going around Thanksgiving.

McNeese will host in round One and Possible the 2nd round.

We sell as lot of tickets and the selection committee will like that.

Plus, we will be ranked about 8 or better if we win this week.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I do. It's really annoying. At least it's better than Big South bias.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Here's my crack at it:

Holy Cross
@ (1) Villanova

Elon
@ SC State

McNeese
@ (4) Richmond

W&M
@ Appalachian St.

SFA
@ (2) Montana

E Wash.
@ SDSU

EIU
@ (3) SIU

UNH
@ UNI

McNeese WILL host in Round One.

Make NO mistake about it.

The NCAA loves our ticket sales, and we give them very big guaranteed money.

Plus, we are excelent and expereinced hosts.

SFA, might be headed to the Richmond, but not McNeese.

McTailGator
November 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Auto Bids

At-Large Bids

-Weber State
-William & Mary
-Richmond
-New Hampshire
-Northern Iowa
-South Dakota State
-Elon
-McNeese State

Seeds:

#1 Villanova
#2 Southern Illinois
#3 Montana
#4 Richmond

PLAYOFF BRACKET I

PLAYOFF BRACKET II

I think you are correct in Bracket II

McTailGator
November 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Do you think the committee gets tired of sending UNH to the dome and says that they might as well send EIU to the Dome this year and give UNH to SIU?

UNH is still flying approximately the same amount, and EIU would be driving about 1.5-2 more hours. But, in the long run, wouldn't it be awesome to not play UNH in the first round? I am getting so sick of it!

I wish they would go back to seeding all 16 teams, especially next year when they screw up and water the thing down.

I loved seeing someone new every year.

Edge316007
November 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Get off your high horse.

Clearly? That's a riot. UNH may be better, but only slightly if at all. I'd welcome UNI, UNH, UR, W&M, SCSU, whoever. I really believe Appalachian's best is better than most team's best. You can only play who is on your schedule and Appalachian did that and won their last 9 games.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I wish they would go back to seeding all 16 teams, especially next year when they screw up and water the thing down.

I loved seeing someone new every year.

yea... well, next year... I assume teams 13-20 will be playing the first weekend, and then we will continue with the 16 team tourney? So, that means they will have to seed 1-4, and 13-20...

or they have to seed 1-12 and do 13-20 regionally.

or I guess they could do 13-20 regionally, and then disregard that the winners of those games as being 13-16 in the next round... actually, this is probably what they will do. And it is stupid.

AshevilleApp
November 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Your Conference is better than our Conference does not necessarily equate to your team is better than our team....gross extrapolation.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Your Conference is better than our Conference does not necessarily equate to your team is better than our team....gross extrapolation.

In the case of conjecture or fact, I'll take fact. While Appalachian State has not had a chance to play someone of Villanova's caliber (or W&M's, for that matter), UNH has a win over 'Nova. You can assume Appalachian State can beat a team like Villanova, and I can say that UNH can beat a team like Villanova.

AshevilleApp
November 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
In the case of conjecture or fact, I'll take fact. While Appalachian State has not had a chance to play someone of Villanova's caliber (or W&M's, for that matter), UNH has a win over 'Nova. You can assume Appalachian State can beat a team like Villanova, and I can say that UNH can beat a team like Villanova.

Which may be true but your original post stated that UNH is clearly a better team than ASU and you were basing that on record and conference strength. Since there are no like opponents to directly compare the teams then you actually have no factual evidence that one team is "clearly" better than the other

McNeese75
November 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM

xrolleyesx Yeah right, NICE opinion and that's all the hell it is. Cocky CAA BS xnonono2x

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Good lord. Why do people assume I'm cocky when I say things like that? McNeese and Elon do not have the computer numbers or rankings that compare to William and Mary or Villanova. There's no cockiness associated with my claim. As I've mentioned, CAA Bias is an excuse for people who don't have a better reason to defend their claims.

UNH Fanboi
November 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Only two weeks til this gets settled on the field. Let's all calm down.

rcny46
November 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM

That's what I like:the voice of reason.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Just curious how much of a Travis factor there has been?

Tod
November 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Clearly? That's a riot. UNH may be better, but only slightly if at all. I'd welcome UNI, UNH, UR, W&M, SCSU, whoever. I really believe Appalachian's best is better than most team's best. You can only play who is on your schedule and Appalachian did that and won their last 9 games.

Uh...no they haven't. xlolx

igo4uni
November 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM

yes. I agree. calm down.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Good lord. Why do people assume I'm cocky when I say things like that? McNeese and Elon do not have the computer numbers or rankings that compare to William and Mary or Villanova. There's no cockiness associated with my claim. As I've mentioned, CAA Bias is an excuse for people who don't have a better reason to defend their claims.

xlolx Uhhhhh, that is not what you said xnonox You declared they were "Vastly Superior". And you base this on their poll rankings and their of course all their CAA wins (since there were no other quality OOC FCS opponents played). One or possibly both of them will be seeded but until they line up with the Cowboys on the field, all they are is higher ranked. xcoffeex

DG Cowboy
November 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wow! 18 pages.

Are we not now inebriated by the exuberance of our own verbosity??

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 09:58 PM
xlolx Uhhhhh, that is not what you said xnonox You declared they were "Vastly Superior". And you base this on their poll rankings and their of course all their CAA wins (since there were no other quality OOC FCS opponents played). One or possibly both of them will be seeded but until they line up with the Cowboys on the field, all they are is higher ranked. xcoffeex

I think it'd be a good matchup, and unfortunately, it'll never happen at UNH, so they're almost always the dog.

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow! 18 pages.

Are we not now inebriated by the exuberance of our own verbosity??

xlolx

I think the moral of the story is that the playoff picture is never clear until it's announced.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Autobids
Big Sky-Montana
CAA-Villanova
MEAC-SCSU
MVFC-SIU
OVC-EIU
Patriot-Holy Cross
SoCon-App St
SLC-SFA

At-Large
UNH
Richmond
William & Mary
SDSU
UNI
Elon
McNeese State
EWU

EIU vs SIU(1)
UNH vs UNI

Elon vs SCSU
William & Mary vs App St(4)

SFA vs Montana(2)
SDSU vs McNeese St

EWU at Richmond
Holy Cross vs Villanova(3)

Last Out-Lafayette(8-2), Liberty(8-2), Montana State(7-3), Weber State(6-4)

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Technically, less than a week before we know what the field will be. Coming down to the wire!

WSBE
November 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM

...I was surprised to see such a strong perception that UNH fans were cocky or over confident? I actually think we're one of the most critical of our team(s) on this board. We rant about the facilities, play calling, qb situation, running game, the defense, etc etc. I've always figured it was just the miserable New England sports fans never being happy. It also doesn't help that we cant make it out of the semis & weve had too many heart breakers

T-Dog
November 16th, 2009, 02:06 AM

Next week it'll be right. xrulesx

09griz
November 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM
i honestly think that the NCAA, should they be concerned about making money, would put APP at UM which would draw another record crowd....somewhere around 26,000 if I'm going off of some of the other big games that have set records (see: UM 31 WSU 10... 25,811).

Travel costs and regional compartmentalization obviously are something that they consider first, but can't an FCS fan dream about what would be the best matchup of all time??? xwhistlex

caribbeanhen
November 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM
no 7-4 team should get in. period.

when does it go to 20 teams? when it does you will see some 7-4 CAA teams do some damage.....JMU/Delaware could beat a handful of the teams that will end up making the playoffs this year

Edge316007
November 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Let's be realistic: they're not losing to Western.

UNIFanSince1983
November 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
i honestly think that the NCAA, should they be concerned about making money, would put APP at UM which would draw another record crowd....somewhere around 26,000 if I'm going off of some of the other big games that have set records (see: UM 31 WSU 10... 25,811).

Travel costs and regional compartmentalization obviously are something that they consider first, but can't an FCS fan dream about what would be the best matchup of all time??? xwhistlex

The problem with this is they could get 25000 at Montana without App being there and get around 25 to 30k at App too which of course doubles the money that the NCAA gets.

T-Dog
November 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
As of this week.

Here's my bracket as of this week.

Eastern Illinois @ (1) Southern Illinois
South Dakota State @ McNeese State

William and Mary @ App State
Eastern Washington @ (4) Richmond

Elon @ South Carolina State
Holy Cross @ (3) Villanova

New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa
Stephen F Austin @ (2) Montana

I put SIU and Montana over Nova due to their 0 losses against FCS teams.

If Lib gets in, they go to Richmond. Montana State gets in, things get shaken up as they could host a game.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Who is Travis? It's mostly been Wren the last few weeks.

19Duke97
November 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM

JMU is nothing close to terrible, get real. If we can discuss a 6-4 team in Weber St as a playoff candidate, how can a 55 JMU team be "terrible", much less JMU plays in a better conference than the Big Sky... west coast bias here...

89Hen
November 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Holy Cross @ Villanova (1)
UNH @ AppSt

Elon @ Richmond (4)
W&M @ SCSt

SF Austin @ Montana (2)
EWU @ UNI

EIU @ SIU(3)
SDSU @ McNeese

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Yes, I can see the Appalachian State homers getting tired of the facts getting in the way of their quest for a seed and their ranking..

UNH was undervoted, as they had a better resume than teams above them. That is no longer the case, and I've stopped with those rants.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
UNH @ AppSt

Elon @ Richmond (4)
W&M @ SCSt

SF Austin @ Montana (2)
EWU @ UNI

EIU @ SIU(3)
SDSU @ McNeese

I'd go to the Main Line to see App play Nova.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM

You've had anti-UNH feelings for much longer than the last few weeks. Just off the top of my head, I recall being in a discussion with you back in August. And you really don't know who Travis is? That would be UNHWildcats. Unfortunately, he's not representative of the UNH posters on this forum, but he posts more than the rest of us combined.

And as far as Wren goes, he's been pretty much just telling it like it is. Like most folks in the CAA that post on this forum, he looks at the rankings, the polls, the results of teams then formulates posts. I don't see a fraction of the smack or homerism from him that I have from many other posters (ex. Elon, Liberty, Patriot League, etc.). And I guess you've missed all the critical posts Wren has made talking about his own team. All I see Wren doing is sticking up for his team when other posters don't give them a fair shake. xpeacex

Saint3333
November 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah I used to read the "Other Discussion boards", he was active on those, sorry didn't remember his real name.

Not sure about our conversation, but it probably went like this:

You said the CAA is great.

I said they are a good conference, but that doesn't make UNH a great team. UNH will likely win the weak CAA north and lose in the first two rounds like usual.

That's not anti-UNH, that is just pretty much telling it like it is.

wr70beh
November 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
UNH @ AppSt

Elon @ Richmond (4)
W&M @ SCSt

SF Austin @ Montana (2)
EWU @ UNI

EIU @ SIU(3)
SDSU @ McNeese

Hmmm, UNH and Villanova in the 2nd round? That's a compelling matchup.

JMUNJ08
November 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Took me forever to catch up to PAGE 20. Seems like UNH and ASU are battling it out. I do like that people think Elon to SCST is pretty possible. Just makes ASU vs W&M/UR such a rough first round game. Its all logistics (JMU to YST in 06 because of something like 20 miles). The playoff brackets are still 6 days away so lets keep this going!xpopcornx

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah I used to read the "Other Discussion boards", he was active on those, sorry didn't remember his real name.

Not sure about our conversation, but it probably went like this:

You said the CAA is great.

I said they are a good conference, but that doesn't make UNH a great team. UNH will likely win the weak CAA north and lose in the first two rounds like usual.

That's not anti-UNH, that is just pretty much telling it like it is.

Almost all of my posts have been derived completely, 100%, out of looking at resumes. I've examined the top 10-15 resumes with tremendous depth and vote on my AGS Poll almost entirely on resume. It's easy when you're Appalachian State and you get the benefit of the doubt constantly. Despite making the playoffs five consecutive games and winning the majority of our games on the road, UNH gets no credit.

The fact that Elon will be ranked above UNH this week is another telling sign that people are not really looking at resumes. All of a sudden I feel like Aceinthehole or Danefan...

I'll say it again. If you put App. State on the road as much as you do UNH, they'll have similar results.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Um, I think this would be if the NCAA wanted to get Montana an attedance record. If they wanted money they'd have App and Montana hosting... ~52,000 > ~26,000.

JMUNJ08
November 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
JMU is nothing close to terrible, get real. If we can discuss a 6-4 team in Weber St as a playoff candidate, how can a 55 JMU team be "terrible", much less JMU plays in a better conference than the Big Sky... west coast bias here...

Already took care of him don't worry! They saw the JMU kool aidxnodx

I'll say it again. If you put App. State on the road as much as you do UNH, they'll have similar results.

xthumbsupxMontana too or maybe JMU in 06. Home field isn't the end all of advantages but I'd pick a home game over a PL team instead of traveling there even if we were 20 point favorites. JMU NC year they struggled at Lehigh and only won 14-13. Went to much superior Furman the next week and won by the same score.

Just that the committee sees $$$$$$$ instead of what is the best competition wise. Can't wait to see what mess they make of seeding team for next year. Probably say "4th CAA team at 9-2 should travel to NEC champ and play in the first round" or something like that

09griz
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Um, I think this would be if the NCAA wanted to get Montana an attedance record. If they wanted money they'd have App and Montana hosting... ~52,000 > ~26,000.

Do you think that they'd have app hosting though? Remember how deep this field actually is.

09griz
November 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Okay listen: the cats NEED to beat the griz to have any chance. Every other team in the FCS with an in to the playoffs could LOSE BIG, but if the cats don't beat the griz they only have 6 (not 7) D1 wins! End of discussion! I do, however, like how the second big sky bid has shaped up. WSU EWU and MSU all 6 D1 wins, have to win this week to have a chance, but everyone is saying MSU is gonna be the shoo in should all three win. EWU beat MSU, MSU beat WSU, and WSU beat EWU..........MSU has by far the hardest opponent come this Saturday. Why is anyone considering them the favorite for the At-Large??????

GolfingGriz
November 20th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Okay listen: the cats NEED to beat the griz to have any chance. Every other team in the FCS with an in to the playoffs could LOSE BIG, but if the cats don't beat the griz they only have 6 (not 7) D1 wins! End of discussion! I do, however, like how the second big sky bid has shaped up. WSU EWU and MSU all 6 D1 wins, have to win this week to have a chance, but everyone is saying MSU is gonna be the shoo in should all three win. EWU beat MSU, MSU beat WSU, and WSU beat EWU..........MSU has by far the hardest opponent come this Saturday. Why is anyone considering them the favorite for the At-Large??????

Good post. I think MSU will be the the obvious choice because they will be the only one who has beaten UM. None of the three have a playoff quality win, but if MSU wins they will have one and thus seperating themselves from the pack.

ToTheLeft
November 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Don't be surprised if a Big Sky team with no playoff wins gets trumped by Liberty with an extra DI win and one or two fewer losses.

kalm
November 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Good post. I think MSU will be the the obvious choice because they will be the only one who has beaten UM. None of the three have a playoff quality win, but if MSU wins they will have one and thus seperating themselves from the pack.

Ewu wouldn't have a playoff quality win over msu? Besides there will be several teams in the playoffs without playoff quality wins including uni, elon, and montana. Do you really want to use that logic? I don't think a msu win over Montana will trump ewu's close loss @ montana, head to head, and #11 gpi ranking

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Can't you use the same argument for Weber State, though? They beat Eastern Washington and are ranked about the same in GPI.

Montana State is in with a win over Montana. It then gets interesting if EWU also gets to 8-3.

kalm
November 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Can't you use the same argument for Weber State, though? They beat Eastern Washington and are ranked about the same in GPI.

Montana State is in with a win over Montana. It then gets interesting if EWU also gets to 8-3.

Yes. Wsu is in ahead of ewu unless all three win. If that happens it's ewu or ewu and msu.

appirishmen
November 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I don't think the the NCAA will pair ASU vs SCSU. There is too much money at stake. Both teams are ranked in the top 4 for attendance. So someone is going to Boone and ELON or someone else is going to Orangeburg.

could App host Richmond? thats the only other close game i could see. if that happens, that would suck. but it would be good to get payback from last yr....maybe...

Appinator
November 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Do you think that they'd have app hosting though? Remember how deep this field actually is.

App will definitely have a home game in the first round, but we will have to get a TON of help to get a seed. I just don't see the committee giving us one (a seed) over the 4-5 teams that are ahead of us with their current records, and anyone who tells you differently isn't being a realist.

We will put in a great bid and get one of the other home games so the NCAA can make some money, but unless we get some upsets, we would most likely be on the road in the second round.

Appinator
November 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I think an Elon @ SCSU game will make the most sense in the NCAA's mind.

App and Elon can't play in the first round so that is out.

They won't want to give up the money in a rematch of SCSU @ App.

So it would really be down to an Elon - SCSU game and where it would be played. Elon just had their largest crowd ever @ 14K+ last weekend, and SCSU regularly tops that. With the thanksgiving holiday (no offense to Elon), I would doubt they could get 10K+ for the first round game. SCSU could double that. Elon @ SCSU makes the most sense.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I am looking forward to the expanded playoff field.
This year, there is going to be teams that should be in the playoffs, but are left out due to a lack of playoff spots. The expansion will make the playoffs even better.

elkmcc
November 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
This year, there is going to be teams that should be in the playoffs, but are left out due to a lack of playoff spots. The expansion will make the playoffs even better. Maybe my kitties can make it more than once in a quarter century.

I fixed it for you. xlolx

Saint3333
November 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
This year, there is going to be teams that should be in the playoffs, but are left out due to a lack of playoff spots. The expansion will make the playoffs even better.

I don't think any of the teams on the bubble are capable of winning it all (which is the purpose of the playoffs). There are 8-10 teams with a shot at winning it all. 16 teams is the right number for the playoffs.

This isn't little league, well at least for one more year.

Khan4Cats
November 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think any of the teams on the bubble are capable of winning it all (which is the purpose of the playoffs). There are 8-10 teams with a shot at winning it all. 16 teams is the right number for the playoffs.

I would have to think UNI is one of the teams 'on the bubble' but they are definitely capable of winning it all. They will likely have to go on the road to do it, but it's not like the Dome-field was invincible for them the last couple of years anyways.

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM

I agree, I think the 16 team format is the best, and I will be disappointed when it expands to 20 teams... then teams 21-25 are gonna whine, eventually it'll get upped again, hell, why not just make it 32 teams, for a nice clean bracket, again.

SumItUp
November 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I agree, I think the 16 team format is the best, and I will be disappointed when it expands to 20 teams... then teams 21-25 are gonna whine, eventually it'll get upped again, hell, why not just make it 32 teams, for a nice clean bracket, again.

Using this year as an example, there will only be a maximum of 29 teams that will have 7D1 wins. Without a significant increase in the number of FCS teams, I hope the playoffs never go to 32 teams.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I fixed it for you. xlolx

The Kitties have more National Championships then the Griz.

asuboys
November 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Almost all of my posts have been derived completely, 100%, out of looking at resumes. I've examined the top 10-15 resumes with tremendous depth and vote on my AGS Poll almost entirely on resume. It's easy when you're Appalachian State and you get the benefit of the doubt constantly. Despite making the playoffs five consecutive games and winning the majority of our games on the road, UNH gets no credit.

The fact that Elon will be ranked above UNH this week is another telling sign that people are not really looking at resumes. All of a sudden I feel like Aceinthehole or Danefan...

App St. was on the road in 1994--at UNH--and still beat you guys...

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The Kitties have more National Championships then the Griz.

No one cares about your made-up/claimed NAIA championship from the 1950's!

.... but if we had something like that we sure as hell would claim it too xlolx

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I would have to think UNI is one of the teams 'on the bubble' but they are definitely capable of winning it all. They will likely have to go on the road to do it, but it's not like the Dome-field was invincible for them the last couple of years anyways.

That's interesting because depending on how 'political' the committee might be, they could go 2 MVC and 2 Big Sky ---- and slot Liberty.

MSU wins and they are in (and bump E-Dub). If they lose, E-Dub most likely gets the nod in spite of their 'bad game' against Weber.

So does the committee go 3 MVC and 'smite' Liberty? Do they drop UNI because of their loss to SDSU (who was whupped pretty bad by SIU and stunk it up against CP)? I'd hate for UNI if they got bumped.

Here's my next best guess - LOL:

Eastern Illinois (EKU?) @ (1) Southern Illinois
SDSU/UNI @ McNeese State

Liberty @ (4) UR/W&M Winner
New Hampshire @ Appalachian

Stephen F Austin @ (3) Montana
E-Dub @ UR/W&M Loser

Holy Cross @ (2) Villanova

NOW ... if UD happens to beat Villanova, I could see Appalachian getting the (4) seed, the UR/W&M winner going to (3) and Montana moving up to (2) with the brackets ....

E-Dub @ UR/W&M Loser
New Hampshire @ (4) Appalachian

Liberty @ (3) UR/W&M Winner
SDSU/UNI @ McNeese State

Holy Cross @ Villanova

Appalachian would have to put 50 or so on Western, and Elon would have to smack Samford around pretty good for it to happen. We'll have to give Western a pat on the back for smackin' around EKU xnodx

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Using this year as an example, there will only be a maximum of 29 teams that will have 7D1 wins. Without a significant increase in the number of FCS teams, I hope the playoffs never go to 32 teams.

I do not see it happenning. The field only got expanded to 20 with the addition of two new AQ conferences next year which forced the addition of 2 AL slots since the rules state there have to be as many AL slots as AQ slots.

UNHFootballAlum
November 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
That's interesting because depending on how 'political' the committee might be, they could go 2 MVC and 2 Big Sky ---- and slot Liberty.

MSU wins and they are in (and bump E-Dub). If they lose, E-Dub most likely gets the nod in spite of their 'bad game' against Weber.

So does the committee go 3 MVC and 'smite' Liberty? Do they drop UNI because of their loss to SDSU (who was whupped pretty bad by SIU and stunk it up against CP)? I'd hate for UNI if they got bumped.

Here's my next best guess - LOL:

SDSU/UNI @ McNeese State

Liberty @ (4) UR/W&M Winner
New Hampshire @ Appalachian

Stephen F Austin @ (3) Montana
E-Dub @ UR/W&M Loser

Holy Cross @ (2) Villanova

NOW ... if UD happens to beat Villanova, I could see Appalachian getting the (4) seed, the UR/W&M winner going to (3) and Montana moving up to (2) with the brackets ....

E-Dub @ UR/W&M Loser
New Hampshire @ (4) AppalachianLiberty @ (3) UR/W&M Winner
SDSU/UNI @ McNeese State

Holy Cross @ Villanova

Appalachian would have to put 50 or so on Western, and Elon would have to smack Samford around pretty good for it to happen. We'll have to give Western a pat on the back for smackin' around EKU xnodx

If UD beats Nova, then UNH will play Holy Cross. They are only 1.5 hours from UNH. I disagree than a Nova team with no seed still plays HC