PDA

View Full Version : Assistants Offered Jobs at GSU

straightshooter
December 19th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Well it looks like the famed GSU option attack is going to be history under Brian Van Gorder. Local TV reported tonight that offensive line coach, Brent Davis, has been offered the tight ends coaching position. GSU currently has no tight ends on its roster. Former slotbacks coach, Chad Lunsford, had accepted the running backs coaching position and do away with the slotback position. It appears that GSU will go the I-Formation or Shotgun style of offense, which will be something like the offenses that Furman and App State currently run.

WCU LawCat
December 19th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Seems that GSU might have some trouble getting into a new system next season. Better schedule the weak teams early.

youwouldno
December 20th, 2005, 12:17 AM
hmm. Wonder what happens at QB... Foster is not an I-Form QB, end of story (let alone shotgun). My guess is that GSU goes to a Furman-like, pro-style offense... mostly 'I' with some shotgun. That's going to be weird at first.

Van Gorder might be hot stuff, but man does he have his work cut out for him.

December 20th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Well it looks like the famed GSU option attack is going to be history under Brian Van Gorder... :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :asswhip: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

WCU LawCat
December 20th, 2005, 01:13 AM
You said it Ralph. No more odd practice weeks for SoCon teams trying to stop that offense in Statesboro. My guess is that most GSU fans don't know what to think of the idea right now.

straightshooter
December 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Yea, the change makes lots of sense to me...not! GSU is a team who returns 9 offensive starters that averaged 38 ppg and 470 ypg, and runs an offensive system that has been in place and recruited to for more than 20 years.

BVG says he knows what gives defenses fits in an offense. Perhaps he's forgotten about the GSU offense that rushed for 300 yards and put up 28 points on his Georgia defense in 2004. And did it with Jermaine Austin injured in the first quarter. No other team UGA played in '04 did that. Not Florida, Auburn, LSU or Tennessee. Just little 1-AA GSU in front of 90K+ in Athens.

To see that tremendous offensive scheme go away makes me sick to my stomach. And to say that defenses are wising up to it because players are bigger and faster these days holds no water. The ypg and ppg still are up there.

I was hoping to go to the offense that Tracy Ham ran at GSU, which is very similar, but with more passing. A complete revamp with the players we have on hand is a risk, but we're paying the guy a lot of money to bring in his system. I, like many GSU fans will have an open mind to the changes, but that doesn't mean we'll have to like it.

Umass74
December 20th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I lurk (but do not post) on the GSU board. Looks to me that many GSU fans are married to the spread option.

It would seem that GSU does not have the players for a different type of offense.

Many GSU fans were howling for Sewak to be fired and now it may turn around and bite them on the butt.

I do know that if the new coach looses two games in a row with the new system, the ensuing ***** storm will be legendary :eek:

soweagle
December 20th, 2005, 08:08 AM
We GSU fans better be prepared for a let down season next year. I don't see the system working for at least another year with the players we have. I'm going to miss the option.

AUCATAMOUNT
December 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Maybe BVG plans on mixing up the formations, perhaps some Maryland I, and still using the triple option but not making it the core of the offense. I'd be suprised to see him try to shoehorn everyone into his idea of a perfect offense next year, or maybe you guys have to go further down to go up? Sounds troubling for the GSU faithful

ButlerGSU
December 20th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I think none of us have seen a BVG practice, heard him speak one word about next years O or seen him coach one down at GSU yet. All of these post are purely rumors. Give him a chance and see what he does.

Want another rumor? I heard BVG was looking to bring in some I-A transfers.

KJ Eagle
December 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I'm not at all thrilled with the change, if it actually happens. But I'm not sure that it will be all gloom and doom for us next year. If we assume that Griffin will become the starting QB (6'1" and can throw the ball as well as run it), we actually do have a pretty good WR corps coming back (McCutcheon, Craft and Camp), and then add Foster to the mix at either TB or WR. Paschall becomes the FB and if Foster is at WR, we have Covington to use at TB.

I may be a glass is half full kind of guy, but that line up doesn't make me want to jump off any bridges (yet...). The key will be how well our OL adjusts to the different assignments and packages.

AUCATAMOUNT
December 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Any rumor on who the rumored I-A recruits are? Also how they might fit into any rumored offensive change/no change?

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Didn't Delaware win a NC with players recruited to run Tubby's old offense? These guys ARE athletes you know...

SunCoastBlueHen
December 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Didn't Delaware win a NC with players recruited to run Tubby's old offense? These guys ARE athletes you know...

True, but not without some key player being inserted via the transfer route (most importantly a QB with the skills to run the new system). It also took the players a year to adjust to the new system. Delaware was 6-6 in 2002, Keeler's first year.

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM
True, but not without some key player being inserted via the transfer route (most importantly a QB with the skills to run the new system). It also took the players a year to adjust to the new system. Delaware was 6-6 in 2002, Keeler's first year.

I think GSU fans would be happy with that outcome (6 win season followed by a NC)!

straightshooter
December 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
The GSU faithful will not accept a six win season under any circumstances. Only once in their history has a coach not won at least seven games, and that guy was an interim coach who lasted one year. If GSU only wins six games in '06 with what he's got returning, BVG's house will have For Sale signs in the yard. He knows he has to win eight or more games in '06, and Eagle fans are expecting a run deep into the playoffs.

Sewak had said publicly that '05 wasn't the year for this team. He expected '06 and '07 to be the years to make the real run at a NC. GSU fans feel that way too.

DinoDex200
December 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
BVG seems to realize what I've told people...you don't need to run the triple option to win at GSU. There is enough talent in GSU's recruiting base (N. Florida and Georgia) to win big in I-AA.

Maybe he looked at the fact that App State, a school 5 hours away from metro Atlanta, had several starters from the States of Georgia and Florida on its team, as does Furman...and to a lesser extent...many I-A kids and borderline recruits from S. Georgia are just as likely to transfer or sign with Valdosta State due to their wide open passing attack.

You've had some great players in the 'Boro, but I guarantee you they are missing just as many by running the option. In reality, all you sacrifice with the option, is probably a QB...but most of those guys could play WR...as can most slotbacks.

Oddly, this decision seems to benefit Wofford, whose offense is now more difficult to prepare for being the only team running a flexbone style attack in the SoCon...at least until The Citadel switches coaches in a few years. :)

blueballs
December 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
BVG seems to realize what I've told people...you don't need to run the triple option to win at GSU. There is enough talent in GSU's recruiting base (N. Florida and Georgia) to win big in I-AA.

Maybe he looked at the fact that App State, a school 5 hours away from metro Atlanta, had several starters from the States of Georgia and Florida on its team, as does Furman...and to a lesser extent...many I-A kids and borderline recruits from S. Georgia are just as likely to transfer or sign with Valdosta State due to their wide open passing attack.

You've had some great players in the 'Boro, but I guarantee you they are missing just as many by running the option. In reality, all you sacrifice with the option, is probably a QB...but most of those guys could play WR...as can most slotbacks.

I hope the GSU faithful take a real good look at what this man has written.

GSU has a plethora of offensive talent in its program returning in 2006. GSU loses 2 starters on offense and an all SoCon pick from 2004 will man one of those spots, so it is really returning 10 starters on offense.

This team will score big regardless of what they run, there is too many good players not to.

BTW, nobody ever said GSU wouldn't run some option, but diversifying the offense with the quality of athletes we have is a very good thing.

Let us not forget... GSU HAD ZERO YARDS IN THE 4TH QTR AGAINST TEXAS STATE. Did we get 250 total in Boone this year? How about against UNH in the second half in 2004? How about at Wofford in 2003 or 2005?

When good defenses load up the line of scrimmage and stuffed the run or heaven help it rained our group was helpless. This will hopefully keep what is good and add new dimensions which will make them even better and harder to defense.

I love our fans... Fire the coach and then when they hire a damned good coach bitch about adding new wrinkles. xidiotx

Appdad
December 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I'm not at all thrilled with the change, if it actually happens. But I'm not sure that it will be all gloom and doom for us next year. If we assume that Griffin will become the starting QB (6'1" and can throw the ball as well as run it), we actually do have a pretty good WR corps coming back (McCutcheon, Craft and Camp), and then add Foster to the mix at either TB or WR. Paschall becomes the FB and if Foster is at WR, we have Covington to use at TB.

I may be a glass is half full kind of guy, but that line up doesn't make me want to jump off any bridges (yet...). The key will be how well our OL adjusts to the different assignments and packages.

Your OL will do just fine!

Foster will be a tailback and a great one.

I don't think the offense will change as much as people think.

I am glad they held on to Lunsford. He is a good coach.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 20th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Foster will be a tailback and a great one.

he played WR his freshman year. and even on a few plays to confuse the defense this year when smiley came in for a few.

my guess is that he will be punt/kick return and WR like he was in his freshman year.. and man was he deadly.

Appdad
December 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM
he played WR his freshman year. and even on a few plays to confuse the defense this year when smiley came in for a few.

my guess is that he will be punt/kick return and WR like he was in his freshman year.. and man was he deadly.

I would have the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Keep it simple, give it to your hoss!

Seven Would Be Nice
December 20th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I would have the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Keep it simple, give it to your hoss!

5'8" 160 lbs. he is a true 'hoss'.. haha.. but i do see your point.

honestly the kid is so athletic they will probably try him at many different positions. speed of his cailber is dangerous in any position.

Appdad
December 20th, 2005, 12:03 PM
5'8" 160 lbs. he is a true 'hoss'.. haha.. but i do see your point.

honestly the kid is so athletic they will probably try him at many different positions. speed of his caliber is dangerous in any position.

Well, OL are Clydesdales
TB's are quarter horses

Both are "studs"

TXST_CAT
December 21st, 2005, 01:54 AM
BVG says he knows what gives defenses fits in an offense.

Only one that I know of that scares the Sh90 out of every Defensive CO in Div I-A.

I'll give you a hint RED RAIDER, And it utilizes quick athletic WR's that can make big plays in the open field.

GSU would like it since it is the offspring of thier beloved Triple option. It is the Triple Shoot look it up! Like the Triple option it is a scheme offense that can open up big plays and score fast.
*** 2005 NCAA Division IA Football Total Offense Team Statistics ***
(Complete through Saturday, December 3rd)

T O T A L O F F E N S E
Rank Team G Pl Yds Avg TD Ydspg
2. Texas Tech 11 836 5621 6.72 61 511.00

Eaglegus2
December 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Snooping around the GSU campus yesterday, I came across some good rumors or propaganda. Take your pick.

1) Coach Sewak was out in Colorado. Since the Colorado University has filled their position I would think he was in NoColorado.

2) One of the assistant coaches was asked to stay on, but would have a reduction in pay. Reduced from the $40K area to $15K area.

3) Should Coach Sewak get a HC position somewhere. One of the two coaches retained would abandon BVG and move on to Coach Sewak's location.

It is fun to hang out among the employees of Georgia Southern. You have a tendency to hear all kinds of rumors. :nod:

OL FU
December 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM
I think none of us have seen a BVG practice, heard him speak one word about next years O or seen him coach one down at GSU yet. All of these post are purely rumors. Give him a chance and see what he does.

Want another rumor? I heard BVG was looking to bring in some I-A transfers.

The I-A transfers were my first thought. It would not be that difficult for GSU to grab some talented ones. For the most part, GSU has not played in the transfer field at least at skill positions, correct? I could imagine GSU would compete fairly well in the transfer game.

OL FU
December 21st, 2005, 08:42 AM
Snooping around the GSU campus yesterday, I came across some good rumors or propaganda. Take your pick.

1) Coach Sewak was out in Colorado. Since the Colorado University has filled their position I would think he was in NoColorado.

2) One of the assistant coaches was asked to stay on, but would have a reduction in pay. Reduced from the $40K area to $15K area.

3) Should Coach Sewak get a HC position somewhere. One of the two coaches retained would abandon BVG and move on to Coach Sewak's location.

It is fun to hang out among the employees of Georgia Southern. You have a tendency to hear all kinds of rumors. :nod:

That is not being ask to stay, that is asking someone to leave instead of telling them to leave.

Appdad
December 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
That is not being ask to stay, that is asking someone to leave instead of telling them to leave.

It sure is. The coach would have to take a job teaching to make up the difference. Therefore the logical conclusion is to coach where you teach and make the same money.

It could be an older coach that is close to pension time and this was offered to get his years in. Just a thought.

Eaglegus2
December 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM

That was my sentiments, also.

You will have to agree this would be humiliating to that coach by asking for a reduction in pay to this degree.

Appdad
December 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
That was my sentiments, also.

You will have to agree this would be humiliating to that coach by asking for a reduction in pay to this degree.

To take a cut from just less that 10% of the new coach's total pay package to 4% of it does say a lot.

blueballs
December 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
The I-A transfers were my first thought. It would not be that difficult for GSU to grab some talented ones. For the most part, GSU has not played in the transfer field at least at skill positions, correct? I could imagine GSU would compete fairly well in the transfer game.

All true...

youwouldno
December 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM
I dunno, I have a real hard time seeing GSU do great next year if they go to a normal, Furman-style offense. They have an O-line with no experience in pass pro (since HS at least) and no QB. They have some young talent at that position, Griffin and Davis, but nobody with any experience-- and even those guys were recruited with the trip option in mind, whether or not they can throw a little.

Without a transfer QB, it will take a miracle for GSU to make the playoffs in '06.

AUCATAMOUNT
December 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
I think the offense will be a hybrid of what he wants and waht has worked in the past. All of it will depend on recruits/transfers and the no one will really know until after their spring ball/first two games if even then. I think BVG has a perfect oppurtunity to catch a lot of us in the SoCon by surprise if he keeps a little triple O and we aren't ready for it because he has hyped a new system. No matter how they change their offense I would make sure to prepare safe defenseive schemes for a possible triple O.

blueballs
December 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM
Without a transfer QB, it will take a miracle for GSU to make the playoffs in '06.

ASSUMING they radically change the offense.

If there is no radical change and only some tweaking and additions, then you have an absolutely loaded returning group with the only losses being Austin and Motte (and they have an all SoCon pick from 2004 to take Motte's place).

GSU will be better and stronger in 2006 than in 2005, you can bank it as a fact. Anything less than 9-2 and a top 5-6 ranking will be a failure with the returning talent on hand.

OL FU
December 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM
I think it is presumptive to conclude that the GSU offense will 100% different in 2006 than previous years. Transition period applies.

I thought teams were excluded from the playoffs during transition periods. :D Different kind of transition period

EagleCrusade
December 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
ASSUMING they radically change the offense.

If there is no radical change and only some tweaking and additions, then you have an absolutely loaded returning group with the only losses being Austin and Motte (and they have an all SoCon pick from 2004 to take Motte's place).

GSU will be better and stronger in 2006 than in 2005, you can bank it as a fact. Anything less than 9-2 and a top 5-6 ranking will be a failure with the returning talent on hand.

SO, the Blue/White game is coming up....

colgate13
December 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Anything less than 9-2 and a top 5-6 ranking will be a failure with the returning talent on hand.

:nonono2::nonono2::nonono2::nonono2::nonono2::nono no2::nonono2::nonono2::nonono2::nonono2:

What a set up for failure. I think there will be some unhappy Eagles this fall. :twocents:

Appdad
December 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Never ever count GSU out. Never ever!

They may stumble offensively a game or two but then they will be rolling!

Their kids are excited and will be working hard to impress the new coaches. I expect nothing less than a championship result from them next year.

Whoever beats them in conference or in the playoffs will consider themselves very lucky indeed!

Appdad
December 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
I guarantee you GSU is getting inside information and help from BVG's buddies at UGA.

Also, consider recruiting in January. Ex-pro coach, ex-UGA DC in a kid's living room.... Those kids like coaches from the big programs. BVG will ride his publicity well, that I am certain of.

youwouldno
December 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Austin is not a small loss, nor is Motte. Is Wayne graduating or we he only a junior?

I think GSU's problem won't be offense though. They had defensive problems this year and the triple option helps defenses by keeping the other team off the field. More passing= possibly more exposed defense, which is also losing AJ Bryant and I imagine a couple others starters to graduation/eligibility.

blueballs
December 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Austin is not a small loss, nor is Motte. Is Wayne graduating or we he only a junior?

I think GSU's problem won't be offense though. They had defensive problems this year and the triple option helps defenses by keeping the other team off the field. More passing= possibly more exposed defense, which is also losing AJ Bryant and I imagine a couple others starters to graduation/eligibility.

Austin certainly is no small loss, replacing both he and Andrews will be a very tall task. Wayne is a Jr.

Motte was a fine player and deserved all the recognition he got, but GSU has Travlis Sims, who was all SoCon in 2004 and got beat out by Marcelo Estrada and Motte in 2005, to slide in that hole, so that loss is somewhat eased. For all intents and purposes, GSU has their entire o-line coming back, QB, both slots, and all receivers. They won't have any trouble scoring.

GSU's big weakness in 2005 was the d-line. We all knew it coming into the season and then when a few injuries hit along with a couple of guys not making grades it reached critical mass, especially at the DE and NT positions. We had some FR step up and play well but we need help big time at the DE position. GSU has recruited well at the LB position and has Mohring and hopefully Devron Jefferson coming back. The DB position gets hit hard by graduation but Roger King returns from injury and Dedrick Bynam looks like a star in the making.

I just don't see a radical makeover offensively. What I can see is tweaks and some diversification to better utilize the talent and keep defenses from loading up on the run.

One thing's for sure, there'll be a lotta of interest come spring in the 'Boro.

JohnStOnge
December 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
Well it looks like the famed GSU option attack is going to be history under Brian Van Gorder. Local TV reported tonight that offensive line coach, Brent Davis, has been offered the tight ends coaching position. GSU currently has no tight ends on its roster. Former slotbacks coach, Chad Lunsford, had accepted the running backs coaching position and do away with the slotback position. It appears that GSU will go the I-Formation or Shotgun style of offense, which will be something like the offenses that Furman and App State currently run.

Well...I said it when they first did what they did: Odds are GSU fans are going to rue the day their AD made the decision to move away from what made them what they have been. They may be decent, but they're just going to be one more I-AA program looking for the same kind of player everybody else is looking for now. The days of GSU being the Gold Standard of I-AA programs are, I think, over.

And I'm not saying that because I dislike Georgia Southern. I'm mourning the loss of something that was really special in college sports. Georgia Southern may never see another national football championship.

JohnStOnge
December 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM
Whether it's a transition to something else or an immediate change I predict that, if this does mean GSU is going to move away from being a pure option program, Eagle fans are going to rue the day the AD made the decision to do it. Running that option is what made GSU what it was. They did a brilliant job of recruiting players to fit what they did. Now they'll be competing for the same kind of players everyone else will be. I believe that, if they are about to change significantly, their status as the Gold Standard of I-AA programs over time is about to come to an end. They may never win another national championship and live to see the day where they'd be happy just to get into the playoffs.

And I'm not saying that because I dislike Georgia Southern. I'm saying it because, if they do ditch the option, they're ditching what made them what they've been.

walliver
December 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
I believe that, if they are about to change significantly, their status as the Gold Standard of I-AA programs over time is about to come to an end. They may never win another national championship and live to see the day where they'd be happy just to get into the playoffs

The impression I get from all of this is that Georgia Southern is moving away from the triple option toward a more "I-A" compatible offense on their way to the Sunbelt Conference. Once there, they will likely never win another national championship, and won't have to worry about the playoffs.

(edited to correct misspelling)

Kill'em
December 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM
Screw the Sunbelt!

Kill'em
December 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM
You said it Ralph. No more odd practice weeks for SoCon teams trying to stop that offense in Statesboro. My guess is that most GSU fans don't know what to think of the idea right now.
Scared to death right now!

Kill'em
December 22nd, 2005, 01:37 AM
Many GSU fans were howling for Sewak to be fired and now it may turn around and bite them on the butt.
I was NOT one of them! I was all for getting rid of the defensive coordinator and the special teams coach but not Sewak.

December 22nd, 2005, 02:33 AM
... on their way to the Sunbelt Conference. Once there, they will likely never win another national championship, and won't have to worry about the playoffs.The Sunbelt doesn't have a national championship to play for in football.

Umass74
December 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
I was NOT one of them! I was all for getting rid of the defensive coordinator and the special teams coach but not Sewak.

That was kinda my thought. If you added a couple of DE's like Appy had, to GSU, you would have one hellva team, IMHO.

This way, you have to replace your QB's, O-line and WR's AND STILL have to work on your defense.

Seems like the long way around to fix defensive problems :eyebrow:

TypicalTribe
December 22nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
The Sunbelt doesn't have a national championship to play for in football.

Yes they do, Ralph. The NCAA might not award a trophy for it, but I-A has a national champion every year. It gets a little silly to keep arguing against it.

TypicalTribe
December 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
And I'm not saying that because I dislike Georgia Southern. I'm saying it because, if they do ditch the option, they're ditching what made them what they've been.

I agree with this comment and the best comparison I can think of is Nebraska. When Osborne was there and even for the Solich years, when you heard Nebraska, you knew what they were going to run the ball right down your throat all day and they could recruit athletes to fit that style. Now, they're just another team running the West Coast offense and they're battling everyone else for the same type of player to fit that system. Already, the program is a shadow of it's former self.

youwouldno
December 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Yes they do, Ralph. The NCAA might not award a trophy for it, but I-A has a national champion every year. It gets a little silly to keep arguing against it.

It is mathematically impossible to win a I-A championship out of the Sunbelt. Ralph was correct.

TypicalTribe
December 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
It is mathematically impossible to win a I-A championship out of the Sunbelt. Ralph was correct.

While it is beyond the realm of likelihood, it is not "mathematically impossible." A team would have to do some ridiculous OOC scheduling and pull off some shocking upsets, but it is still "possible."

I don't believe this is what Ralph was alluding to, anyway. I believe he was talking about how the I-A national championship is mythical, not actually recognized by the NCAA.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM

They absolutely do - and sometimes they double the fun and have two national champions! ;)

youwouldno
December 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
While it is beyond the realm of likelihood, it is not "mathematically impossible." A team would have to do some ridiculous OOC scheduling and pull off some shocking upsets, but it is still "possible."

I don't believe this is what Ralph was alluding to, anyway. I believe he was talking about how the I-A national championship is mythical, not actually recognized by the NCAA.

Are you sure? If a Sun Belt team ran the table on their conference, and beat say 4 top 15 teams OOC, what would their BCS ranking be?

Kill'em
December 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
That was kinda my thought. If you added a couple of DE's like Appy had, to GSU, you would have one hellva team, IMHO.

This way, you have to replace your QB's, O-line and WR's AND STILL have to work on your defense.

You are right about taking the long way. People tend to forget the turnover we had on defense this year. We lost the entire defensive line and a very good middle linebacker. Some of the expected replacements did not make their grades. We also had some serious injuries on the defensive line and secondary that seriously cut into the line depth. It's hard to pressure the QB with 240-250 pound linemen.

With these players returning and the freshmen that saw playing time, I think we'll be fine on defense. Actually, I expect it to give teams a lot of problems.

eagleskins
December 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM

No we don't. Foster will either play QB or wide out. Lance Wayne, our center, could start for any team in the country. Our other lineman are all coming back. Our wide outs are the deepest position on our team. Teddy Craft would be a star for any other team. Look for him to have a monster year next year.

December 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Yes they do, Ralph. The NCAA might not award a trophy for it, but I-A has a national champion every year. It gets a little silly to keep arguing against it.No they don't TT. I-A has never had a national champion despite what the I-A lovers think. A crystal football doesn't mean you've rightfully won anything but one football game. It's really silly to argue it because facts are facts. I-A is part of the NCAA and the NCAA doesn't recognize a I-A national champion, period. The Sunbelt teams are not even close to getting a shot at that little crystal ball.

Now back to the topic...

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Perception is reality in the US, whether I like it or not. The country's/sports fans' perception is that USC is the current national champion and whoever wins the Rose Bowl this year will be national champions this year. Whether the NCAA recognizes or not 99% of sports fans will proclaim them the champs. Unfortunately I guess my signature is only mine and others AGSers' perception.

eaglesrthe1
December 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Perception is reality in the US, whether I like it or not. The country's/sports fans' perception is that USC is the current national champion and whoever wins the Rose Bowl this year will be national champions this year. Whether the NCAA recognizes or not 99% of sports fans will proclaim them the champs. Unfortunately I guess my signature is only mine and others AGSers' perception.

What's really bad is how the media shapes that perception. They keep harping on the fact that USC is going for an unprecedented 3rd NC when LSU won the BCS championship in 2003. USC was first in the coaches poll, but they didn't even play in the (perceived and hyped by the same media) NC game. Should USC win this year, that 3rd title will get so much attention from the media that even most IA fans will forget about LSU and accept it as fact (reality).

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2005, 11:44 AM

Of course, a lot of these fans are thinking that USC is looking for a 'threepeat', which is, of course, not true. USC took home a trophy (which suspiciously looks like that huge crystal egg in Risky Business) only last year, yet... the perception is that they should have been champions in 2003 when LSU won the 'egg' after being selected for the BSC Championship Bowl. There was a "split" national champion - USC and LSU - in 2003.

Many sports fans thought that USC was the I-A champion in 2003. But the NCAA/BCS/BS rules say they weren't. LSU was the champion.

If it is indeed all about the fans' perception, why don't they just let the fan vote on the national champion? Make about as much sense as the BS.. I mean BCS method of trusting computers and coaches to decide who should play in the BCS Championship Bowl.

The only real way to determine the champion is to do it the way I-AA does it. Even though 99% of fans may have thought that New Hampshire (or Furman, or Montana, or...) should be national champions before the playoffs, they played and discovered that Appalachian State are the true national champions.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
I hope the GSU faithful take a real good look at what this man has written.

GSU has a plethora of offensive talent in its program returning in 2006. GSU loses 2 starters on offense and an all SoCon pick from 2004 will man one of those spots, so it is really returning 10 starters on offense.

This team will score big regardless of what they run, there is too many good players not to.

BTW, nobody ever said GSU wouldn't run some option, but diversifying the offense with the quality of athletes we have is a very good thing.

Let us not forget... GSU HAD ZERO YARDS IN THE 4TH QTR AGAINST TEXAS STATE. Did we get 250 total in Boone this year? How about against UNH in the second half in 2004? How about at Wofford in 2003 or 2005?

When good defenses load up the line of scrimmage and stuffed the run or heaven help it rained our group was helpless. This will hopefully keep what is good and add new dimensions which will make them even better and harder to defense.

I love our fans... Fire the coach and then when they hire a damned good coach bitch about adding new wrinkles. xidiotx

A lot of people are saying "our tradition is about winning, not running the option", but I say phoey on that. There is a reason why we are the winningest football program in Division IAA (and I think also close to all of division I, if not the top itself). It's because of our offense. What Sewak did was nothing like what PJ did during his time here. Sewak's offense consisted mainly of fullback dives and quarterback keepers. If we move more towards the kind of style offense that Paul and Erk ran, and throw it just a little bit more (maybe 6-8 times a game, rather than 3-4) we should be okay.

I for one would be sad to see the offense go. We'd be giving in to all our naysayers, which have been proven wrong so many times over.

Coastal89
December 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
I admit i'm not familiar with the triple option but that Johnson coached Navy team showed last night that when it's run correctly it is a thing of beauty.

rokamortis
December 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
I heard BVG is going to go to the super quadruple option.

Purple Knight
December 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
GSU can run the triple-option all day long from the I formation. Your QB will do fine with it. He just needs to work on his passing to prevent opponents from cheating with 8/9 in the box.

Kill'em
December 24th, 2005, 07:34 AM
The threat of the pass should always be there with our current formation. With two slobacks lined up inside two receivers it gives us four potential receivers on every play. I feel if we exploited this then we can keep safties off the line of scrimmage and make the second and third options more effective. I don't think we need to go to an I-formation.
I agree we need to diversify because we became too predictable and no offense will work when this happens.

TypicalTribe
December 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM
No they don't TT. I-A has never had a national champion despite what the I-A lovers think. A crystal football doesn't mean you've rightfully won anything but one football game. It's really silly to argue it because facts are facts. I-A is part of the NCAA and the NCAA doesn't recognize a I-A national champion, period. The Sunbelt teams are not even close to getting a shot at that little crystal ball.

Now back to the topic...

I-A has never had an "NCAA Certified Grade A National Champion" but it is naive to say that they don't have one every year.

Kill'em
December 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I-A is a joke!

Cocky
December 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Auburn was the National Champion last year, they won the Golf Digest NC.

Alabama or Notre Dame wins one every year. Alabama claims a NC back in the 40's or 50's with a 6-5 record. Since JSU went 6-5 this year we are the rightful NC of I-AA.

The I-A NC is no more than winning the homecoming queen contest or the President's office, you were the most popular.

Kill'em
December 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I hear ya'!

December 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I-A has never had an "NCAA Certified Grade A National Champion" but it is naive to say that they don't have one every year.TypT, it is factual and indisputable. NCAA I-A does not have a national champ. It is open for debate because they don't have a playoff like all other sports. You know that. :coach: :bang: :nod:

Kill'em
December 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Who buys, I mean, sponsors the National Championship trophy? It used to be Sears.

December 26th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Who buys, I mean, sponsors the National Championship trophy? It used to be Sears.The NCAA has always provided the National Champ and playoff participant trophies. :nod:

Tod
December 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
TypT, it is factual and indisputable. NCAA I-A does not have a national champ. It is open for debate because they don't have a playoff like all other sports. You know that. :coach: :bang: :nod:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:NCAA_Championships

While we may all be in agreement that the Rose Bowl will decide the "champion" of I-A football, there have been many years that the "champion" was in dispute. No dispute at any other level of college football.

December 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
While we may all be in agreement that the Rose Bowl will decide the "champion" ...Question. Which was the last team to participate in the Rose Bowl that is now in I-AA?

December 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Answer...

Jan. 1, 1934 Columbia 7, Stanford 0

Others:
Jan. 1, 1920 Harvard 7, Oregon 6
Jan. 1, 1917 Oregon 14, Pennsylvania 0
Jan. 1, 1916 Washington St 14, Brown 0

The first game was played in 1902 in Tournament Park before moving to the Rose Bowl in 1923.

blukeys
December 26th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Answer...

Jan. 1, 1934 Columbia 7, Stanford 0

Others:
Jan. 1, 1920 Harvard 7, Oregon 6
Jan. 1, 1917 Oregon 14, Pennsylvania 0
Jan. 1, 1916 Washington St 14, Brown 0

The first game was played in 1902 in Tournament Park before moving to the Rose Bowl in 1923.

Don't forget the Colgate team who finished undefeated (They didn't schedule Delaware!) who should have been invited. Pitt was invited instead and stunk up the place.

Tod
December 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Question. Which was the last team to participate in the Rose Bowl that is now in I-AA?

You only gave me four minutes to answer!! ;) ;) ;)

Actually, I think I recall that being mentioned on AGS not too long ago. But I'd forgotten the answer. NOW I'll remember.

Kill'em
December 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM
The NCAA has always provided the National Champ and playoff participant trophies. :nod:
Sorry Ralph, I meant the I-A trophy and/or title.

December 27th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry Ralph, I meant the I-A trophy and/or title.Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :)

The "Other Sports" board is over there----------> xlolx

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Oops, I forgot I-A isn't a sport.

TypicalTribe
December 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
TypT, it is factual and indisputable. NCAA I-A does not have a national champ. It is open for debate because they don't have a playoff like all other sports. You know that. :coach: :bang: :nod:

Ralph, as I said, just because there is not a "I-A Officially Licensed NCAA National Champion" doesn't mean there isn't one. Open up any sports almanac or college sports database and look for "National Champion" and you'll find the list dating back to the late-1800s. Have there been years where the outcome was debatable? Certainly. But that doesn't change the fact that the games were played and I don't need the NCAA to rubber-stamp it to know who the best team in the country was most years.

I know you love to trumpet the fact that the I-AA playoff is the highest level championship sanctioned by the NCAA, but it doesn't mean that I-A isn't legitimate. Frankly, this is the kind of year when the BCS works perfectly. USC and Texas have already beaten teams that they would have seen in a hypothetical playoff and so we're getting the game that has been anticipated all seaon long.

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Neither have played Penn St..

TypicalTribe
December 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Neither have played Penn St..

But who can guarantee that either team would play Penn State in a playoff? What if they lost in the first round?

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM
That's the beauty of the playoffs.

December 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
... I don't need the NCAA to rubber-stamp it to know who the best team in the country was most years... they would have seen in a hypothetical playoff...Hypothetical is a good word for it.

Has GaSU signed any assistants yet?

OL FU
December 27th, 2005, 03:01 PM
But who can guarantee that either team would play Penn State in a playoff? What if they lost in the first round?

And if recall, A little school from SC beat this year's I-AA NC before the playoffs but not in the playoffs. :smiley_wi

Hmmm, maybe that BCS stuff isn't so bad :cool: Nah :mad:

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Hypothetical is a good word for it.

Has GaSU signed any assistants yet?
So far the only assistant hired is Chad Lundsford. He is one of Sewak's assistants. The last word I got was another of Sewak's assistants, Brent Davis, was offered a position but I haven't heard if he has accepted.