PDA

View Full Version : What I-AA stadiums are must visit?

chrebet87
December 19th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Im starting to plan so trips to visit other I-AA stadiums but i am new to I-AA (freshman at 'Gate) and want to know which stadiums are ones that i have to visit.
thanks

Sam_Kats
December 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Montana -- everyone will say this...I'd have to also say Ga Southern & McNeese.

December 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
My travels indicate that the following are Mecca destinations:
Montana
Georgia Southern
Delaware
Youngstown State
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Northern Iowa
Harvard

There are many others... but you can start with those...

ButlerGSU
December 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
A Saturday at Paulson Stadium in Statesboro, GA is like no other. Read the tailgate review on I-AA.org. The 2006 schedule should be published soon.

FlyYtown
December 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Youngstown State Stambaugh Stadium is one of the best and that is quoting opposing fans. GSU and Montana are sweet as well.

http://ysusports.com/department/pictures/stadiumaerial.jpg

Hansel
December 19th, 2005, 07:56 PM
My travels indicate that the following are Mecca destinations:
Montana
Georgia Southern
Delaware
Youngstown State
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Northern Iowa
Harvard

There are many others... but you can start with those...
Out of curiousity, why the UNI-Dome instead of the FargoDome? :)

December 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Out of curiousity, why the UNI-Dome instead of the FargoDome? :)The Fargo Dome is the best dome in I-AA but you know, provisional... no appearances in the I-AA playoffs... etc. :)

catamount man
December 19th, 2005, 07:59 PM
The view of the Great Smoky Mountains from EJ Whitmire Stadium in Cullowhee is simply awesome, but don't take my word for it, have a peek yourself. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/facilities/wcar-facilities.html?pic=8

http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/facilities/wcar-facilities.html?pic=9

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
For sheer history, you start with the Yale Bowl and Franklin Field.

Others would be, in no particular order, Cary Field aka Zable Stadium (W&M), Delaware Stadium, Washington-Grizzly Stadium (Montana), Bragg Stadium (FAMU), Bobcat Stadium (Texas State), and Cowboy Stadium at McNeese.

You're also welcome at Georgetown, once we get something built.

December 19th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Schools With the Top Fans of I-AA
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72014

The Cult of I-AA: The Best Ever
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=65613

chrebet87
December 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Ill be at Georgetown next time we play at DC

blukeys
December 19th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Im starting to plan so trips to visit other I-AA stadiums but i am new to I-AA (freshman at 'Gate) and want to know which stadiums are ones that i have to visit.
thanks

The death nell for Colgate is the Tub otherwise known as Delaware Stadium. The place where the 1977 undefeated Colgate team came to grief. You will get a pleasant welcoming unless you talk to Tubby Raymond who is still pissed at Colgate for that game (Which Delaware won!) The tailgating is great, the tradition is everywhere, and the men's rooms are the most unique in I-AA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Husky Alum
December 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Here are a few of my faves (in no order)

Youngstown State - great fans, great field, easy parking
Yale Bowl
Harvard Stadium
Palmer Field (Princeton)
Georgetown (stadium on the roof of a building)
Parsons Field (Northeastern) - just so you can say "come on, this is a high school field"
Zabel Stadium (W&M) - nothing beats a sunny fall afternoon in the 'Burg
The Tub (Delaware)

December 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I guess I was talking about more than Eastern school destinations...

Mountaineer
December 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Take a look at the school links:

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=566

And fit together a trip that'd take you to all of 'em! :hurray: I wish i could.

Places I'd like to see a game:

Delaware
Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Coastal Carolina (seriously :rotateh: )
James Madison
North Dakota State

DFW HOYA
December 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Here are a few of my faves (in no order)
Palmer Field (Princeton)

Palmer Stadium was demolished in 1996.

Kehoe Field (Georgetown) hasn't been used since 2001, and its surface is no longer able to host games there.

Ronbo
December 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
New pic of Washington Grizzly that's never been posted.

http://bigskyoil.com/stadium.jpg

Cocky
December 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Nobody wants to come play in the Snow.

Paul Snow is a great venue to watch a game. You can't build a stadium any closer to the field or it would be arena ball.

GGASU
December 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM

Nice stadium, but how are you able to get the goal posts out of there???

You need a good sized exit so after the goal posts are down you can take them out of the stadium. Then and only then can you play the game of games.... Opposing Team Bus Joust.

Hansel
December 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I like this griz shot as well http://www.gravityshots.com/thumbnails/7-24-04_uofm_t.jpg

http://www.gravityshots.com/bigimages/7-24-04_uofm.jpg

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM

IS DAT DUH NEW...KRAFTWERK...ALBUM COVER????.......:p......BRAWK!

December 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM
thanks

Well, next year you have to make the trip to Goodman when your Raiders do battle and try for revenge against Lehigh. November 4, 2006, might still have the leaves changing on South Mountain which provides a beautiful backdrop for the stadium and great place for tailgating. A plus for the visitors is that you get to sit in the sun for the whole game, we on the home side shiver in the shade in the second half by November.

BisBison
December 19th, 2005, 10:30 PM
The Fargo Dome is the best dome in I-AA but you know, provisional... no appearances in the I-AA playoffs... etc. :)
We'll get there. Just wait two more years. I know we need to earn respect, and we will. UNI has we will. Watch us next year at Ball State, and in 07 at the UM Gophers I-AA will be proud.

FlyYtown
December 19th, 2005, 10:32 PM

That is sweet. It looks like an artist's rendering but it isn't. It is real great environment when I went there in '99.. I still hope YSU looks to expand on our stadium in the future; original expansion plans had it become a horseshoe with seats nearly onto the freeway... I still love Stambaugh; the pressbox; loges; the set up. Just gets you into the spirit and makes you proud to be called a Penguin Fan! Also the Debartlo Club.. http://mc878.photosite.com/~photos/tn/147_348.ts1131933103167.jpg
Its pretty sad though the Stadium is tallest building in Youngstown by 1 foot and is the tallest of any i-aa school too..

I got more pics of it all here: The Beeghly Center and Stambaugh: http://mc878.photosite.com/

BisBison
December 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
IS DAT DUH NEW...KRAFTWERK...ALBUM COVER????.......:p......BRAWK!
LOL, finally a nother 70's refugee. :beerchug:

chattanoogamocs
December 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
You guys all need to look at the big picture!

I can't believe that three pages of "must visit" stadiums and no one mentioned.....FINLEY STADIUM.

A visit to Finley quite possibly means that your team is playing for a national championship...if that is not a "must see" I don't know what is. :D

http://gomocs.com/images/articles/2465_Finley_pic.jpg

December 19th, 2005, 11:35 PM

I can't believe that three pages of "must visit" stadiums and no one mentioned.....FINLEY STADIUM.

A visit to Finley quite possibly means that your team is playing for a national championship...if that is not a "must see" I don't know what is. :D

http://gomocs.com/images/articles/2465_Finley_pic.jpgEveryone should be at the Champ Game EVERY YEAR!

DON'T MISS IT!
GET TO CHATTY!

chrebet87
December 19th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Well, next year you have to make the trip to Goodman when your Raiders do battle and try for revenge against Lehigh. November 4, 2006, might still have the leaves changing on South Mountain which provides a beautiful backdrop for the stadium and great place for tailgating. A plus for the visitors is that you get to sit in the sun for the whole game, we on the home side shiver in the shade in the second half by November.

yeah lehigh, lafayette, and bucknell are top priority and i hope to visit each team in the patriot league later on
i want to try and make the national championship next year but it is always during finals week :mad:

December 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM
yeah lehigh, lafayette, and bucknell are top priority and i hope to visit each team in the patriot league later on
i want to try and make the national championship next year but it is always during finals week :mad:You have Finals on a Friday night?

chrebet87
December 20th, 2005, 12:00 AM
You have Finals on a Friday night?

Friday afternoon so its tough to get down there for the game that night

SU Jag
December 20th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Mumford Stadium (Southern) :nod:

BlackSaturday
December 20th, 2005, 12:15 AM

I had to miss the App championship game due to exams as well. First year med student, and they are laying it on right now. :xmas:

December 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Friday afternoon so its tough to get down there for the game that nightUh yeah...
Hamilton, NY to Chattanooga, TN
Distance: 988.9 miles
Approximate Travel Time: 15 hours 12 mins

December 20th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Mumford Stadium (Southern) :nod:I WILL be there next year. :nod: I want to see SU on campus... Do you play ASU at Mumford next year?

chrebet87
December 20th, 2005, 12:23 AM
hey ralph
how many of these stadiums have you been to?

AppStateSVX
December 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I think KBS is a great stadium, esp. in the fall when the leaves are turning. I was also HIGHLY impressed with Finley, oh my gosh, that place looks great. WCU has a pretty nice stadium, best viewed when ASU is destroying them every couple of years..........

oh, and here is to hoping for an ASU-UNI rematch at the dome sometime in the future, I want to see that place!!! :hurray: :nod:

SU Jag
December 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure but I will check. I havent even seen the schedule for next season yet!

December 20th, 2005, 12:36 AM
hey ralph
how many of these stadiums have you been to?Many of them and more to come. I try to do at least five or six out of my Chicago region each year. This year I did UNH, YSU, Furman, SDSU in Sioux Falls, GaSU, Chatty, all outside of a six hour drive distance. Check this out:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2599

Psl48
December 20th, 2005, 12:50 AM
KBS with 25 plus watching the Apps beat Western is top.

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 01:17 AM
oh, and here is to hoping for an ASU-UNI rematch at the dome sometime in the future, I want to see that place!!! :hurray: :nod:

That would most definitely be a game to see after this weekend. That baby would be packed and it would be the loudest game any ASU fan has ever heard. Would be fun to watch!

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 20th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I WILL be there next year. :nod: I want to see SU on campus... Do you play ASU at Mumford next year?
You need to also come to SU vs Jackson ST. in Jackson. That game is an experience. 20,000 plus taigaiting :nod: 60,000 in attendence, and the schools,fans , bands hate each other. atmosphere is like no other.

UNH_ORACLE
December 20th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Cowell Stadium is like going in a time machine back into the early days of college football, so if you're into the whole Quantam Leap thing, you cant leave this one off your list....

December 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Cowell Stadium is like going in a time machine back into the early days of college football, so if you're into the whole Quantam Leap thing, you cant leave this one off your list....Cowell was cool this year... not as bad as advertised. LOL... the press box was just enclosed and I heard the previously frigid press folks call for the windows to be opened because it was now too hot for them!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

December 20th, 2005, 01:48 AM
You need to also come to SU vs Jackson ST. in Jackson. That game is an experience. 20,000 plus taigaiting :nod: 60,000 in attendence, and the schools,fans , bands hate each other. atmosphere is like no other.Date: Oct 18, 2003
Site: Jackson, MS
Stadium: MS Veterans Memorial
Attendance: 46794

Is that where it will be next year?

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 20th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Date: Oct 18, 2003

Is that where it will be next year?Yes
The year I was talking about was 99. But anyway there were 60,000 plus at the game in 2003, people were sitting in the ilse :nod: . Jackson Memorial is famous for there undercounts. The city is in charge of the stadium and J-State pays them a percentage of the gate. They are ripping J-State a new one every game. I will send you a tape and you tell me how many people were there.

December 20th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Yes
The year I was talking about was 99. But anyway there were 60,000 plus at the game in 2003, people were sitting in the ilse :nod: . Jackson Memorial is famous for there undercounts. The city is in charge of the stadium and J-State pays them a percentage of the gate. They are ripping J-State a new one every game. I will send you a tape and you tell me how many people were there.P.O. Box 5101
Skokie, IL 60076

:)

golionsgo
December 20th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Southeastern Louisiana's Strawberry Stadium is small (7,500 permanent, right at 9,800 with added bleachers) but provides a great environment and is one of the better places to actually watch a football game in my opinion. Built in the 1930's, the old brick structure has throwback charm and the seats are right on top of the field. The surrounding pines and oaks make for picturesque setting, especially at night with a full moon. The press box is severely outdated and there aren't the bells and whistles that are common in more modern stadiums but it's a really fun atmosphere for football when it's packed.

December 20th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Southeastern Louisiana's Strawberry Stadium... it's a really fun atmosphere for football when it's packed.It's usually packed too, right?

jstate83
December 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Yes
The year I was talking about was 99. But anyway there were 60,000 plus at the game in 2003, people were sitting in the ilse :nod: . Jackson Memorial is famous for there undercounts. The city is in charge of the stadium and J-State pays them a percentage of the gate. They are ripping J-State a new one every game. I will send you a tape and you tell me how many people were there.

Undercounts .....................maybe, probably.

During "good times", JSU will sell probably 20,000 tickets Monday thru Friday.........(counting season tickets packages). These tickets, (not season tickets) start at $17 and up, depending on location, until they are gone. These tickets are sold on campus, the stadium or thru Ticketmaster. Saturday is when we have huge gameday ticket sales at the Stadium. These come from people comming in for tailgating Friday and Saturday. They just wait and buy their tickets then while the party's going on. These tickets start at $22 on Saturday. Counting the visiting fans and late buyers from Jackson and the surrounding area, there could be another 15,000 sold that day............depending on who we are playing. For RIVAL games, (SU, Valley, and ESPECIALLY ALCORN), you better get your ticket early...............when times are good that is. These have been the longest 3 years in our history.

But we are not getting ripped off.

Jsu pay's $15,000 per game to use memorial. The Stadium comission get's the parking revenue and half of the concessions. The Commission and the City of Jackson provides the security............(Police, Sheriffs, stadium security).

JSU get's the sales from the tickets and a part of the concession.
We don't pay for stadium upkeep ...............that's the Commission's bill.

The last 3 years, the Stadium Commission and the City of Jackson concluded that JSU was making around $256,000 LESS per game for the 3 year average Bell was here..........................A fan/per game average that went from 30,000 in 2002 to 11,000 for 2005.

Kinda put's a damper on that crap about SWAC fan's comming just to see the band. xidiotx

jstate83
December 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Date: Oct 18, 2003

Is that where it will be next year?

Memorial Stadium/Jackson State University (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/mississippi/jackson_memorial.shtml) :nod: :nod: :nod: xprost2x

Nothing like a game under the lights at this place.
No track ................Stadium right on "top" of the field. :nod:

ButlerGSU
December 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM

http://gomocs.com/images/articles/2465_Finley_pic.jpg

I really enjoyed my trip to Finley. It is a fantastic facility but the old factory buildings that surround it are creepy. No doubt it is one of the best I-AA stadiums I've ever seen. Don't know why I haven't been up for a regular season game yet, I'll come back the next time GSU plays there.

ButlerGSU
December 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM

What?? Someone post a picture.

Blue Hen Nation
December 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Here's a pic of Delaware Stadium

DinoDex200
December 20th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Gotta get to Boone on a Fall Saturday. Winding through the Mountains to get to campus...the leaves changing in the grove of trees behind our grassy bank in the South End Zone...the Mountaineers charging the field in all black! Awesome, but I don't care what time of year it is, if you are on the West Side, bring sunscreen!!

Other places I've been that are worth it:

Paulson (GSU): Always a great atmosphere, and lots of fans...and tons of parking...you used to be able to see Erk sitting on the Field House patio, watching the game.

FargoDome: Went when they were D2, and I was working for Angelo St., saw Lamar Gordon eat the Rams alive, and man was it loud. A very impressive facility, already one of the best in I-AA

*EJ Whitmire (WCU): I say this only if they are playing ASU...they have a very vocal band of alumni, and decent student support, but it increases exponentially for this game. ASU brings its fans...and even as a Mountaineer I can't deny how beautiful the drive through Catamount Gap is. I am feeling a little nauseous, though, for saying it aloud...

Places I would like to go:

Washington-Grizzly
Delaware
UNIDome
YSU
McNeese
S. Dakota St. (just because they are the only "major" Dakota school that plays outside)

I wasn't too impressed with Tex State...of course, this was in '01 when they had little to brag about. Maybe a few winning seasons will make it a better atmosphere, and I won't count any of the schools that refuse to participate in I-AA playoffs...they are so insular anomalies in the schools they choose to play that the atomsphere, IMO, just wouldn't be the same as the playoff playing schools of I-AA.

MR. CHICKEN
December 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM
BY DA WAY.....WHICH ONE'S PINK......AH MEAN.......KRAFT?......:cool:......BRAWK!

Go...gate
December 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Nice stadia include:

Yale Bowl
Franklin Field
Princeton Stadium (which replaced Palmer)
Delaware Stadium (which should have a memorial plaque put in there in honor of all the Red Raider Maroon blood shed in the place!) :eek: :bawling:
Goodman Stadium
Villanova Stadium

If Colgate plays Army again , Michie Stadium at West Point is a must-see. :)

AppStateSVX
December 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I really enjoyed my trip to Finley. It is a fantastic facility but the old factory buildings that surround it are creepy.

I HAVE to agree with you there, the buildings and neighborhoods surrounding Finley were sketch as hell. Did anyone stay in the Stadium Inn? that place was rediculously bad, but I was too happy about ASU winning the NC to let it bother me too bad

SoCon48
December 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Gotta get to Boone on a Fall Saturday. Winding through the Mountains to get to campus...the leaves changing in the grove of trees behind our grassy bank in the South End Zone...the Mountaineers charging the field in all black! Awesome, but I don't care what time of year it is, if you are on the West Side, bring sunscreen!!

Other places I've been that are worth it:

Paulson (GSU): Always a great atmosphere, and lots of fans...and tons of parking...you used to be able to see Erk sitting on the Field House patio, watching the game.

FargoDome: Went when they were D2, and I was working for Angelo St., saw Lamar Gordon eat the Rams alive, and man was it loud. A very impressive facility, already one of the best in I-AA

*EJ Whitmire (WCU): I say this only if they are playing ASU...they have a very vocal band of alumni, and decent student support, but it increases exponentially for this game. ASU brings its fans...and even as a Mountaineer I can't deny how beautiful the drive through Catamount Gap is. I am feeling a little nauseous, though, for saying it aloud...

Places I would like to go:

Washington-Grizzly
Delaware
UNIDome
YSU
McNeese
S. Dakota St. (just because they are the only "major" Dakota school that plays outside)

I wasn't too impressed with Tex State...of course, this was in '01 when they had little to brag about. Maybe a few winning seasons will make it a better atmosphere, and I won't count any of the schools that refuse to participate in I-AA playoffs...they are so insular anomalies in the schools they choose to play that the atomsphere, IMO, just wouldn't be the same as the playoff playing schools of I-AA.

Great sequence of pics. Shows what ASU used to be famous for. Maybe it's coming back!!

Spider1976
December 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/pictures/Ad_508_2.jpg

In 2008 you can visit Richmond's new First Market Stadium, located on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
'

Marcus Garvey
December 20th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Harvard Stadium and Brown Stadium are both nice and worth a visit, but for "Must See" I'm going with Fitton Field at Holy Cross. The lines of site are good. The facilities, though not fancy, are adequate. Parking can be tight though. They used to let people park or tailgate on the baseball field, but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Anyway, Fitton Field is an underrated stadium, probably because HC has pretty much sucked the last 12 years.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM
http://showcase.netins.net/web/sig/unidome.jpg

http://showcase.netins.net/web/sig/domeinside.jpg

Tailgating getting better all the time. Watch the game in comfort. Courteous fans. Jumbotron. Pretty cheerleaders.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

bison95
December 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM
All you UNI Boys talkin up the dome need to show me around sometime. I've been there a few time and was definately not impressed with the facility or the atmosphere. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong but I just don't like football inside. Including the Mighty Bison!!!!

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 06:42 AM

Hey, Ralph that is finals week at most PL schools and yes, finals are given in the evenings of that week (6-9 p.m. slot). Plus even if not on Friday night, a final during the day still prohibits travelling to Chatty. PLus there are finals on Saturday as well :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 06:45 AM
Harvard Stadium and Brown Stadium are both nice and worth a visit, but for "Must See" I'm going with Fitton Field at Holy Cross. The lines of site are good. The facilities, though not fancy, are adequate. Parking can be tight though. They used to let people park or tailgate on the baseball field, but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Anyway, Fitton Field is an underrated stadium, probably because HC has pretty much sucked the last 12 years.

Agreed, I'm planning on visiting in '06 when Lehigh visits, but it is our 28th Anniversary--so I'm selling the Mrs. on a 'weekend in New England"--she can't stand football! Wish me luck...

UNH 40
December 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
The only two division I-A atmouspheres in I-AA are Montana (not to mention it is absolutely gorgious.) and Tubby Raymond Field in Delaware. The fan fair is crazy in both places. They are hard places to play and win.

blukeys
December 22nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
--so I'm selling the Mrs. on a 'weekend in New England"--she can't stand football! Wish me luck...

She sure got the prize when she picked you!!! :D :D :D

Cocky
December 22nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
The only two division I-A atmouspheres in I-AA are Montana (not to mention it is absolutely gorgious.) and Tubby Raymond Field in Delaware. The fan fair is crazy in both places. They are hard places to play and win.

I've been to some I-As that the atmosphere wasn't as good as JSU's.

TXST_CAT
December 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
I think everyone can agree TXST Bobcats Stadium represented Div I-AA well during the post season. With a few more years of success under Coach Bailiff and we might be talking expansion with lots of room to work with.

McTailGator
December 22nd, 2005, 02:00 PM

The only two division I-A atmouspheres in I-AA are Montana

I guess you haven't been to a McNeese game...

While our attendance has been down the last couple of years, due to our youth, our overall atmosphere before and during a game is as good as Newark and Montana's.

Youngstown is also is a must see as well.

HENJOHN
December 22nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
I would have to agree with McTailgator. The atmosphere in Lake Charles is just as crazy as Newark. I haven't been to every single place, but I do think that Missoula, Newark, Statesboro, Ga, Lake Charles and Boone, NC may be in that different "group" that has been mentioned. Youngstown had some pretty crazy fans and atmosphere as well.

FlyYtown
December 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
We try to be crazy and when we get upset; we will show it.. Some good examples are the refs in the Western Illinois Game this year. They blew a # of calls for each team but with about 6 minutes left in the first half they made an awful call that lead to a WIU TD.. For the next 20 minutes (You know 6 minutes in Football is like 3-4 times it) we booed them. It was crazy. At half when they went off the field it got even worse and then when they came back out we booed them some more.....

We are a raucous bunch.

Mr. Tiger
December 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Memorial Stadium/Jackson State University (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/mississippi/jackson_memorial.shtml) :nod: :nod: :nod: xprost2x

Nothing like a game under the lights at this place.
No track ................Stadium right on "top" of the field. :nod:

That's right. The Southern-Jackson State game in Jackson under the lights is a must see next season with our new coach our fan base is back and Jaguar Nation never misses a trip to Jackson. If you go to this game you will watch two rivals, two of the best bands in the nation, a crowd of 50,000 or more, great tailgating and beautiful women dressed to impress. Enough to make you want to go :eek: :D xsmoochx

golionsgo
December 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
It's usually packed too, right?

Generally it is but we had a lot of hurricane issues this year which affected attendance greatly. We still had 6 to 7 thousand in the house every game except for Nicholls State which was standing room only (over 9,000). Ordinarily McNeese would have been an SRO crowd but their fans were dealing with Hurricane Rita and there were no hotel rooms to be found in the Hammond area all season long.

MACHIAVELLI
December 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Jackson Memorial is famous for there undercounts. The city is in charge of the stadium and J-State pays them a percentage of the gate. They are ripping J-State a new one every game. .

This is not true.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
This is not true.
I have the tape of SU vs JSU 2003. The reported crowd was 45,000. There wasn't a seat in the stadium(60,000). People was sitting in the isles. I was there. The SU beat writer had a story about the undercounting in the Advocate the day after the game. I might be wrong about the part about the city and what JSU pays them, but thats what I was told.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2005, 01:06 AM
You underestimate Paulson Stadium and its fans.

Bulldog87
December 23rd, 2005, 05:39 AM
If you love Football,Great food and Beautiful Women you must visit Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium for SCSU's Homecoming. You'll find an overflow crowd inside and double the number of folks outside tailgating. Bring your camera for the photogallery of fine ladies. The fans are friendly and proud of our "Secret" recipes at the tailgate spot and are more than willing to give out free samples. Those of you not from the South be sure to ask for some Boiled Peanuts. You'll love them. :hurray: xprost2x

MACHIAVELLI
December 23rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
I have the tape of SU vs JSU 2003. The reported crowd was 45,000. There wasn't a seat in the stadium(60,000). People was sitting in the isles. I was there. The SU beat writer had a story about the undercounting in the Advocate the day after the game. I might be wrong about the part about the city and what JSU pays them, but thats what I was told.

I don't need a tape I was at the game.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM
If you love Football,Great food and Beautiful Women
:hurray:

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
If you love Football,Great food and Beautiful Women you must visit Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium for SCSU's Homecoming. You'll find an overflow crowd inside and double the number of folks outside tailgating. Bring your camera for the photogallery of fine ladies. The fans are friendly and proud of our "Secret" recipes at the tailgate spot and are more than willing to give out free samples. Those of you not from the South be sure to ask for some Boiled Peanuts. You'll love them. :hurray: xprost2x
Seriously, I went the last time we played at S.C. State. It was a nice-sized stadium and nicer people. They do a great job of making the visiting fans feel welcome.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
What other schools haven't lost a home game since 2002?

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
My wish list include, in no particular order:
Youngstown St
Western Carolina- It looks like a pretty area. Vastly improved team!
Montana- I've always wanted to visit here. Great fans to party with
Deleware- Nice place, great fans
App. St- Great rivalry, just hope I wouldn't get into a fight :D

Of course my favorite place away from Paulson, Finley Stadium in Chattanooga (for THE Division I Championship Game)!

wkukid
December 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
Western Kentucky's will be awesome seating 25,000 after all the upgrades are done. Yes we'll have 360 degrees of fans with no track. But better get there in there soon after it's done bc most of us here in Bowling Green don't see us being I-AA for too much longer.

crunifan
December 24th, 2005, 01:00 AM
When I think of classic stadiums in I-AA the first ones in my mind are:

Montana
Yale
Youngstown State
UNI
Delaware

Tod
December 24th, 2005, 01:34 AM
When I think of classic stadiums in I-AA the first ones in my mind are:

Montana
Yale
Youngstown State
UNI
Delaware

At a minimum, GSU and ASU should be added, IMO.

Man, I wish there was a I-AA team in New Mexico. Now that I think about it, why the hell is NMSU I-A??? They might have some success in I-AA. :confused:

JMU2004
December 24th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Western Kentucky's will be awesome seating 25,000 after all the upgrades are done. Yes we'll have 360 degrees of fans with no track. But better get there in there soon after it's done bc most of us here in Bowling Green don't see us being I-AA for too much longer.

lol....with your average 8-10k attendance......biting off more than you can chew

Tribe4SF
December 24th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Besides the bigger venues with big attendance, there are many places with terrific atmosphere and unique aspects. Zable Stadium is one of those, as is Memorial at VMI. I love Armstrong Field at Hampton (other than the slowest concessions anywhere).

wkukid
December 24th, 2005, 09:00 AM
lol....with your average 8-10k attendance......biting off more than you can chew

ummm we averaged 15,500 this year

Keydet90
December 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I think if you come to VA two of the unique places to visit are VMI and W&M. Both have pretty good crowds (or at least fill a nice percentage of the stadium unlike some schools that have large capacity but only 1/2 full), there is great history and things to see adjacent to both stadiums. VMI stadium has great view of the post and mountains and the game is preceeded by a full dress parade at 1100 AM that you can watch from your tailgate spot. Corps of cadets also marches in and forms on the field before the game. I won't say it compares to Montanna, Delaware, GSU, ASU or any of the big-time I-AA places where you'll get 25K in seats and nearly that many outside tailgating plus all the big time bells and whistles but a game at either stadium is a unique experience.
If you wish to go further South, try Johnson Hagood Stadium of the Citadel. Bigger stadium and bigger crowds than at VMI or Zable and the Charleston area offers much to see. Crowds rival those at the aforementioned big time I-AA schools.

DP '90

FlyYtown
December 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM
ummm we averaged 15,500 this year
No You didn't average 15,000 this year.

Gateway Leaders
Youngstown State: 14543.5 per game
Western Kentucky: 12798.4 per game
source: http://godemons.u.m6.net/Analysis.aspx

Keydet90
December 24th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Is WKU going I-A in '08. Why do you want to go be a whipping boy in the Sun Belt and play in front of 17-22K in a half empty Stadium in Lafayette or Houston when you could compete for a NC in I-AA in a great venue? xidiotx I can't believe any I-AA school given the current BCS and I-A climate and given the recent success (or lack thereof) of non-Florida I-AA tranfer schools would attempt this move. Is I-AA suddenly not good enough for WKU? :nono: Say it isn't true.

But your stadium would be nice to visit for a game against EKU.

DP '90

Kill'em
December 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I agree with VMI and The Citadel. I've seen clips of VMI and the campus is gorgeous andI'd love to see the Corps of Cadets marching in. The new Johnson-Hagood Stadium is going to be a top-notch I-AA facility and should be worth a visit, that is, if it is finished in my lifetime. Besides, Charleston is one of my favorite places to visit. You've gotta love Patriot's Point.

89Hen
December 24th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Besides the bigger venues with big attendance, there are many places with terrific atmosphere and unique aspects. Zable Stadium is one of those
I absolutely love games in Williamsburg, but it has nothing to do with Zable. Calling it unique is kind, Zable as a stadium really stinks IMO. It's pretty, but there are no seats between the 40's on the away side, there's a track between the stands and the field and the seats are so low all around that you really can't see the game unless you're standing on the top row. The scoreboard is one of the few that is worse than ours.

http://www.williamsburgpostcards.com/wmc/wmc16c.jpg

JMU2004
December 24th, 2005, 11:18 AM
JMU is quickly becoming a top I-AA atmosphere with top notch facilities

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/taylorofnowhere/wow2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/taylorofnowhere/streamers.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/taylorofnowhere/seaofpurple.jpg

http://www.jmusports.com/Facilities/images/bridgeforth.jpg

Keydet90
December 24th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Nice pix - don't we play you guys next year? I went there once in the mid 80s. Looks like you've added some endzone seating and some other improvements since I've been there. Would love to attend if I am back in the states by then.

Mr. Blue Hen - I thought Zable had seats between the 40s on the away side but not the HOME side? I also thought they had a decent concessions selections but you are correct - like UR stadium the place is in need of a facelift. Still, I love to go to the game there.

DP '90

DTSpider
December 24th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Don't know if its been posted already (sorry I'm lazy and didn't scroll through) but if you haven't seen a game at VMI than you're really missing out. I love going down there to watch the Richmond game. It'll be even better to see Jim Reid again.

TxSt02
December 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Montana is the best I have been to...

Cal Poly and App State were great for the drives to the stadiums/campuses...

Cal Poly: drive up the coast along the PCH...bad ass

App State: drive through the mountains and the campus all the sudden appears...

If you like trains come to Bobcat Stadium... we have a very unique atmosphere with the trains buzzing by on a regular basis...

JMU2004
December 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Nice pix - don't we play you guys next year? I went there once in the mid 80s. Looks like you've added some endzone seating and some other improvements since I've been there. Would love to attend if I am back in the states by then.

Mr. Blue Hen - I thought Zable had seats between the 40s on the away side but not the HOME side? I also thought they had a decent concessions selections but you are correct - like UR stadium the place is in need of a facelift. Still, I love to go to the game there.

DP '90

I think we have a few games lined up for the future....I know we play in Lexington next year. Should be an excellent atmosphere. Hope you'll be back by then? When does your deployment end?

wkukid
December 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Okay so I guess I was wrong with the attendance but we averaged above 10k and about 4k more than last year. I'm not saying we're better than I-AA I'm just saying what most of us believe the university is doing.

tarmac
December 24th, 2005, 07:06 PM
At the JMU stadium, is the end zone seating temp or permanent. What does the track do at the fieldhouse end. How do you guys like that set up?

JMU2004
December 24th, 2005, 07:57 PM
At the JMU stadium, is the end zone seating temp or permanent. What does the track do at the fieldhouse end. How do you guys like that set up?

endzone seating is temp....but has been there for 3 years at least....2007 should see the stadium bowled in OR some kind of perm. endzone seating with 7000+ seats.

The track may be gone within 5 months....apparently we just bought a field turf system to replace the antiquated Astroturf. The track is non-functional as all track and field programs were given brand new facilities in 2003. What is left of the track is non functional, and will soon be gone.

We fully expect to be seating 20,000-25,000 with the top facilities in the A-10/CAA by 2010. We actually expect one side of the stadium to be leveled and rebuilt closer to the field. The JMU admin has not released ANY renderings of Bridgeforth in the future

Kill'em
December 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
That is good news. Get rid of the track!

AppStateSVX
December 25th, 2005, 12:14 AM
one of the best things about KBS is the sheer atmosphere the announcers create, with the bells, and the music at the beginning of games. Oh, does anyone know where I could find "battle music" like they play before games? I think that stuff sounds pretty cool.

Bulldog87
December 26th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Kill'em, I hope that we get a home and home set again with GA Southern. The tailgate atmosphere there was great the couple of times that I visited(Game results sucked but we'll get you next time.) Johnson Hagood is close enough to the Ashley River and makes a pretty setting for tailgating,same for Hampton's campus("By The Sea.") and Furman's Paladin Stadium with Paris MTN in the background. Hope to have home and home's with Southern and APP State someday to have a reason to visit their campuses as I've heard about the physical beauty and gameday atmosphere of both schools. I can personally vouch for the beauty of the ladies from Southern as I've had occassion to stay at The SU headquatrers a couple of times when we played them in Atlanta. Great stragery to stay at the opponents HQ's until you get married. After marriage not a great idea. :smiley_wi

Kill'em
December 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Kill'em, I hope that we get a home and home set again with GA Southern. The tailgate atmosphere there was great the couple of times that I visited(Game results sucked but we'll get you next time.) Johnson Hagood is close enough to the Ashley River and makes a pretty setting for tailgating,same for Hampton's campus("By The Sea.") and Furman's Paladin Stadium with Paris MTN in the background. Hope to have home and home's with Southern and APP State someday to have a reason to visit their campuses as I've heard about the physical beauty and gameday atmosphere of both schools. I can personally vouch for the beauty of the ladies from Southern as I've had occassion to stay at The SU headquatrers a couple of times when we played them in Atlanta. Great stragery to stay at the opponents HQ's until you get married. After marriage not a great idea. :smiley_wi
It makes sense. If I remember, back in the 80's we played fairly often. The one trip I made to your place was a great experience. It was my first real road game and I didn't know what to expect as far as the locals went. I was pleasantly surprised, considering how rough many Georgia Southern fans are to the visitors. I hope we renew the games. You are welcome to tailgate with us!

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 27th, 2005, 12:28 AM
It makes sense. If I remember, back in the 80's we played fairly often. The one trip I made to your place was a great experience. It was my first real road game and I didn't know what to expect as far as the locals went. I was pleasantly surprised, considering how rough many Georgia Southern fans are to the visitors. I hope we renew the games. You are welcome to tailgate with us!
xlolx xlolx xlolx He was talking about Southern University. We played them a couple of times in the 90's in Atlanta.

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks, I understood that. It was a reply to the first sentence of the post. "Kill'em, I hope that we get a home and home set again with GA Southern."

Eaglegus2
December 27th, 2005, 09:44 AM
The view of the Great Smoky Mountains from EJ Whitmire Stadium in Cullowhee is simply awesome, but don't take my word for it, have a peek yourself. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/facilities/wcar-facilities.html?pic=8

http://catamountsports.collegesports.com/facilities/wcar-facilities.html?pic=9

Making the trek to Western Carolina is always one of my favorites for the scenic view from the stadium. It ranks right with Boone as a must see to I-AA fans.

Both stadiums have the best scenic views that I have attended. I don't want to get in a pissing contest with Montana fans. I have never been to Grz Stadium but, it is on my list to go one day.

Kill'em
December 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I love the mountains so I must go to Montana and Western Carolina. Furman has a beautiful campus and the stadium has a great background itself.

putter
December 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Making the trek to Western Carolina is always one of my favorites for the scenic view from the stadium. It ranks right with Boone as a must see to I-AA fans.

Both stadiums have the best scenic views that I have attended. I don't want to get in a pissing contest with Montana fans. I have never been to Grz Stadium but, it is on my list to go one day.

Apps stadium looks like a great setting tucked up next to the mountains and I have not seen Western Carolinas but I imagine they are right up there with Wa/Griz. No pissing match to be had as every part of the country is beautiful in its own way (except, maybe Newark!! xlolx )

SunCoastBlueHen
December 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
No pissing match to be had as every part of the country is beautiful in its own way (except, maybe Newark!! xlolx )

Newark ain't no Missoula, but UD has a pretty campus.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/FallAerials05-401.jpg
http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/youdee34_25.jpg
http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/youdee34_1.jpg

RadMann
December 27th, 2005, 04:28 PM
The Newark, Delaware area lacks amazing views of mountains and the like, but it is a very nice region. On top of that, the UD campus is one of the nicest on the east coast, rivaling campuses such as Princeton and other Ivy League schools. Don't get Newark, Delaware confused with Newark, NJ... lol

Cocky
December 27th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Newark ain't no Missoula, but UD has a pretty campus.

http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/FallAerials05-401.jpg
http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/youdee34_25.jpg
[img]http://www.udel.edu/PR/slideshows/aerials05/youdee34_1.jpg[/img

Beautiful Campus, but is that GSU's bus leaving?

blukeys
December 27th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Beautiful Campus, but is that GSU's bus leaving?

Defintely and everyone was shaking their keys!!! :rolleyes: :) :hurray: