PDA

View Full Version : W&M seed???

UncleSam
November 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
If W&M wins their final two games, they will finish 10-1, with wins over Virginia and two Top 10 FCS schools UNH and Richmond. Their only loss would be to a Top 5 (Nova) on the road. How high a seed would they deserve?

UNHFootballAlum
November 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
It would seem that UNH would be in the same position as WM

Eight Legger
November 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
If your scenario occurs, W&M should receive no lower than a #3 seed. If UR wins out, I would say the same for it.

If UNH beats W&M and W&M beats UR, UNH could/should get a #4 seed. If UR and UNH both finish 10-1, UR gets the seed by virtue of a better loss.

Tribe07
November 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
If your scenario occurs, W&M should receive no lower than a #3 seed. If UR wins out, I would say the same for it.

If UNH beats W&M and W&M beats UR, UNH could/should get a #4 seed. If UR and UNH both finish 10-1, UR gets the seed by virtue of a better loss.

Sounds about right to me. That loss to UMass might make it tough for UNH to get a seed even if they do finish 10-1 (and UR and W&M don't). I suspect the committee would just bypass giving the CAA that second seed if that happened.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
A loss to a team that will potentially be 7-4 on the road is going to prevent a 10-1 UNH from getting a seed? Good lord.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Also...

UNH beat Villanova at home. UR lost to Villanova at home. If they're both 10-1, UNH gets the seed.

UNHFootballAlum
November 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
If UNH & UR are both 10-1 that would mean that UNH has 2 wins against top 5 teams and UR would have no wins against top 5 teams. UNH should get the seed

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Can we all just agree that a 2nd CAA team should get a seed over a SoCon team?

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Yes.

AppAlum2003
November 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Better yet - why don't we just go ahead and crown the CAA champ National Champs while we're at it?

Everyone else go home... nothing to see here. Sometimes I think you CAA guys are getting your acronyms mixed up. It's C-A-A not A-C-C.

art vandelay
November 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Better yet - why don't we just go ahead and crown the CAA champ National Champs while we're at it?

Everyone else go home... nothing to see here. Sometimes I think you CAA guys are getting your acronyms mixed up. It's C-A-A not A-C-C.

what are you talking about. we are talking about how our conference will play out what does that have to do with us being crowned champs.xeyebrowx

very insecure comment.

seattlespider
November 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM

I think the CAA had a pretty good record against the ACC this year. xcoffeex

blukeys
November 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I think the CAA had a pretty good record against the ACC this year. xcoffeex

beat me to it spider. Who wants to hang with a basketball conference that is a bottom dwelling football conference.

AlphaSigMD
November 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
beat me to it spider. Who wants to hang with a basketball conference that is a bottom dwelling football conference.

Ummm Delaware (or any CAA team) would jump at the chance to "hang" with the ACC teams if an invitation was ever offered.

As far as bestowing the CAA with an automatic 2nd seed, I think it would be justified, but may not happen.

Green26
November 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
The arrogance and lack of football knowledge of some CAA posters is quite amazing.

AppAlum, your post made me chuckle.

WMTribe90
November 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Actually its the NCAA Championships. Plus we had a winning record against the ACC, they wish they were the CAA xlolx

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM

You can agree all you want but it won't happen.xsmhx

asuboys
November 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hmmmmm.... is the UMass AD still "chairing" the FCS selection committee? If so, then 2 CAA seeds could be probable.... lol

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2009, 01:02 AM
If it comes down to money, ASU gets it. If it comes to resume, the Richmond/W&M winner should get the last seed. Below are the Sagarin ratings of the teams that each team beat and lost to (updated through 11/8 games)

Richmond (if it beats W&M)
Wins: 60, at 70 (FBS), 115, at 116, at 117, at 147, 154, at 195, 224, 241
Loss: 46

William & Mary (if it beats Richmond)
Wins: at 57, at 66 (FBS), 98, 116, 117, at 169, 173, at 192, at 193, 195
Loss: at 46

ASU (if it wins its last game)
Wins: at 106, at 168, 170, 172, 175, at 178, at 184, 225, 239
Losses: at 68 (FBS), 132

And I heard that the UMass AD is not chairing the committee this year to answer your question

kirkblitz
November 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
1st seed

Montana_Mojo
November 15th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I think the W&M-Richmond winner can expect to be seeded, probably at #4 so that they can be in the same bracket with #1 Villanova (assuming Villanova wins next week). Should Villanova fall, the winner of this game will probably be a #3 seed (assuming both Montana and SIU win).

Appalachian State certainly has a strong case for a seed. But that loss to McNeese State in Boone really hurts them. Even a one loss Richmond or William & Mary probably gets the #4 seed having emerged from a more powerful Colonial Conference with only one loss as opposed to App State going undefeated in a much softer conference. As well, both Richmond and William & Mary have beaten ACC teams this season, while Appalachian State fell to their FBS opponent in Eastern Carolina.

I think there will be a lot of people rooting for Delaware to knock off Villanova next week, including Montana (guarantees a top two seed for them), Appalachian State (guarantees them a seed with a win), and the Richmond/W&M winner (ensures the winner of this game a seed). And, of course, Delaware just might sneak into the postseason with a win.

seattlespider
November 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I think the W&M-Richmond winner can expect to be seeded, probably at #4 so that they can be in the same bracket with #1 Villanova (assuming Villanova wins next week). Should Villanova fall, the winner of this game will probably be a #3 seed (assuming both Montana and SIU win).

Appalachian State certainly has a strong case for a seed. But that loss to McNeese State in Boone really hurts them. Even a one loss Richmond or William & Mary probably gets the #4 seed having emerged from a more powerful Colonial Conference with only one loss as opposed to App State going undefeated in a much softer conference. As well, both Richmond and William & Mary have beaten ACC teams this season, while Appalachian State fell to their FBS opponent in Eastern Carolina.

I think there will be a lot of people rooting for Delaware to knock off Villanova next week, including Montana (guarantees a top two seed for them), Appalachian State (guarantees them a seed with a win), and the Richmond/W&M winner (ensures the winner of this game a seed). And, of course, Delaware just might sneak into the postseason with a win.

Agree wholeheartedly (big shock I'm sure). I just don't see how you seed ASU ahead of the UR/WM winner.

Montana_Mojo
November 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Agree wholeheartedly (big shock I'm sure). I just don't see how you seed ASU ahead of the UR/WM winner.

You may be right. I could see Appalachian State getting that fourth seed. But then again, I look at the schedules of both Richmond and W&M, and I think the winner of that game has a stronger resume than App State. If I was seeding the field, I would take a one loss Colonial at-large and seed them over Appalachian State and Montana. I think the Colonial Conference is that strong. But the NCAA won't seed it that way for the sake of regionalizing potential later round matchups.

However, I could definitely see the NCAA Committee award the seeds to the conference champions of the top four FCS conferences (Colonial, Missouri Valley, Big Sky, and Southern), which makes a lot of sense. Still, in the mind of the NCAA Committee, I think Richmond and App State are the #4 and #5 ranked teams, and they'll be pitted in a bracket that potentially matches them up for a second round showdown, with Boone likely being the host site.

Grabholdofyosef
November 15th, 2009, 05:50 AM
As much as I would love ASU to get a seed, I think SIU, Montana, Nova, Richmond and W&M are more deserving if they win next week. I think that group is clear. Then there is a drop to ASU and the loser of the UR-UM game.

SIU is playing a bad SEMS team and the Richmond-W&M winner will be 10-1 and a have great resume, so I see those two seeds as locks.

Where it gets interesting is the other two seeds. If Nova loses to Delaware or Montana loses to Montana St, then I think ASU could get a seed. Those are both rivalry games and DEL and MSU are tough opponents, so either or both could happen. I think ASU's resume would match up better with a one loss Montana team than it would against a one loss Nova team, so that is the scenario I will be rooting for.

Montana_Mojo
November 15th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Appalachian State will be seeded if either Villanova or Montana falls. And they may still get a seed regardless as long as they take care of Western Carolna. It will be interesting to see if App State gets seeded over the Richmond/W&M winner.

Grabholdofyosef
November 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I dont think they get a seed over either Richmond or W&M. Richmond barely lost to NOVA who only has one loss and W&M has played very well since losing to NOVA. Add the FBS wins and the CAAs strength and a mediocre year for the SOCON and I think that equals an automatic seed for the winner of that game next week.

UncleSam
November 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I agree with everything in your post, except that last line. No chance of UD making the playoffs at 7-4.