PDA

View Full Version : Elon / App overhyped?

whoanellie
November 13th, 2009, 06:40 AM
as an Elon Alum, and long time season ticket holder. I am proud as Heck on our progress in FCS and our over-all SoCon performance in a very quality league. I have to say that our upcoming encounter this Saturday is way over-hyped. It is not the biggest game. Just the next one.
Is a victory important? Sure.
Is the season over? no.
Having that many 'neers trashing our town? no they are just passionate about their program.
I am just very confident our guys are going to come out and open that bucket of whoop/ass on ASU.

T-Dog
November 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
The hell it isn't!

I don't think Elon made "BEAT UTC" shirts or "BEAT DAVIDSON" shirts. Lembo has himself said this is the potential culmination of the last four years.

Funny thing I've noticed is that regarding this game, the media has been talking, the App fans have been talking, Elon fans have been talking, the Elon team has been talking, the App team.....not so much. They're the only ones in this whole deal not talking. And even in Jerry More's weekly show, most of what he said is the same old (i.e. nothing big except that McDuffie is back this week which was common knowledge).

The only way this game is overhyped is if the winner screws it up royally next week.

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It's only overhyped if both teams serve as roadkill in the 1st round or quarterfinals.

appmaj
November 13th, 2009, 07:16 AM
as an Elon Alum, and long time season ticket holder. I am proud as Heck on our progress in FCS and our over-all SoCon performance in a very quality league. I have to say that our upcoming encounter this Saturday is way over-hyped. It is not the biggest game. Just the next one.
Is the season over? no.
Having that many 'neers trashing our town? no they are just passionate about their program.
I am just very confident our guys are going to come out and open that bucket of whoop/ass on ASU.

???

ASUG8
November 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Is the season over? no.

How could you tell the difference? xnonox

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
The game is very important because whoever loses won't have a quality win on their resume.

HighRyder08
November 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
The game is very important because whoever loses won't have a quality win on their resume.

we will talk in the playoffs

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
It needs the hype hopefuly Ap can get beat and meet us in Oburg in the playoff's. Revenge Revenge Revenge

ASUG8
November 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
It needs the hype hopefuly Ap can get beat and meet us in Oburg in the playoff's. Revenge Revenge Revenge

Not until Will Ford leaves. xlolx

ElonPride
November 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Is the season over? no.

What are you talking about? Over hyped? Do you realize this is for the conference championship and a possible seed? DO you realize this is only the 2nd time in conference history that two undefeated teams in SoCon play have met this late in the season? Do you realize these are two top 10 teams playing? Overhyped????

BarefootApp
November 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Everything in moderation, including moderation.

appirishmen
November 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Is the season over? no.

dude. this is the biggest game of the season. i agree with the poster above me. This will determine IMO who will get a #4 seed. with elons smaller attendance, if they want a home game, they need this win. App needs this win to show they can beat a quality foe. This game will either be really close, or a blow out. either way im ready for some football.

o and dude. Elon is already trashed. I grew up around there. The Elon fans dont need our help.

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will is playing better but the passing game has opened up so it is hard to get away from it.

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Not sure the committee would send App to SCState regardless. A more likely scenario is Elon going to SC State, b/c SC State should be able to make a higher bid.

SC State deserves props for its good attendance figures.

Our AD's need to arrange a home & home. The SC State fans I met last year were fine folks.

MasonJar
November 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Is the season over? no.

I guess it depends on your perspective and what BOTH teams do after this weekend.

Also, it is can, not bucket.;)xthumbsupx

Mikeyosef
November 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Was the App State Wofford game last year over-hyped....noooowayy and neither is this game. A head to head with the two unbeaten teams in the conference, the winner taking the conference championship. Over-hyped, are you kidding me; it doesn't get much bigger than this in FCS regular season. Add in the fact that Elon wants to prove they have arrived and aren't the choke artists many say they are....and the fact that App had a rough start in the season and needs to prove we still are NUMBER ONE! What have you got; easily the biggest SOCON game of the year. The ONLY thing that could make it bigger would be to play it in Boone!!!

CamelCityAppFan
November 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
The ONLY thing that could make it bigger would be to play it in Boone!!!

If this game were in Boone, attendance would easily be north of 30k, and the record of 30,931 would be in jeopardy.

Mikeyosef
November 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
If this game were in Boone, attendance would easily be north of 30k, and the record of 30,931 would be in jeopardy.

Agreed!

gophoenix
November 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The hell it isn't!

I don't think Elon made "BEAT UTC" shirts or "BEAT DAVIDSON" shirts. Lembo has himself said this is the potential culmination of the last four years.

Funny thing I've noticed is that regarding this game, the media has been talking, the App fans have been talking, Elon fans have been talking, the Elon team has been talking, the App team.....not so much. They're the only ones in this whole deal not talking. And even in Jerry More's weekly show, most of what he said is the same old (i.e. nothing big except that McDuffie is back this week which was common knowledge).

The only way this game is overhyped is if the winner screws it up royally next week.

We had beat Chattanooga Shirts and Stickers that were handed out, yes.

What Elon team members have been talking?!?

AppAlum2003
November 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
We had beat Chattanooga Shirts and Stickers that were handed out, yes.

What Elon team members have been talking?!?

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-29534-bodycopy-rediscovers.html

“We’ve had a swagger about us all season and we want to keep that going,” Elon defensive end Andre Campbell said. “It’s not stopping for nobody.”

“Hopefully we can carry that intensity — and I know we will — into this week against App.”

appmaj
November 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I guess a good counter would be to say that this may not even be the GOTW...

No. 5 William & Mary (8-1, 5-1) at No. 8 New Hampshire (8-1, 5-1)

That being said, it may be by homerism but I think is the GOTW & so does:

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs_kahn.htm

T-Dog
November 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-29534-bodycopy-rediscovers.html

“We’ve had a swagger about us all season and we want to keep that going,” Elon defensive end Andre Campbell said. “It’s not stopping for nobody.”

“Hopefully we can carry that intensity — and I know we will — into this week against App.”

As opposed to the (few) things App has said this week.

“It’s very impressive what they’ve done.” - Jacque Roman

“I know since I’ve been here, they’ve been getting better every year. Last year, we really saw how good they were becoming. For them to be undefeated in the conference this year isn’t really that big of a surprise to me.” - Devon Moore

“I know it’s big for them. They have seniors who have never been to the playoffs or won the title. I know they look at this game as their shot.” - Cortex Gilbert.

gophoenix
November 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
As opposed to the (few) things App has said this week.

“It’s very impressive what they’ve done.” - Jacque Roman

“I know since I’ve been here, they’ve been getting better every year. Last year, we really saw how good they were becoming. For them to be undefeated in the conference this year isn’t really that big of a surprise to me.” - Devon Moore

“I know it’s big for them. They have seniors who have never been to the playoffs or won the title. I know they look at this game as their shot.” - Cortex Gilbert.

Dude, you do realize that that is based off what reporters want to quote. You have no idea if players have been talking or not.

but you are basing "Elon Talking" off one article?!?

AppIAA
November 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Dude, you do realize that that is based off what reporters want to quote. You have no idea if players have been talking or not.

When I saw GoPhoenix had responded to this thread, I knew there was going to be some Bi***ing!

Seriously man, give it a rest.. not everyone hates Elon like you seem to think! No need to be so defensive on a message board..

As a classic from SNL "Simma down now"

T-Dog
November 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM

So first it's "No one has been talking.", then it's "It's what the reporters are reporting!"

Of course both teams are talking in their locker rooms and to each other. They're 18-22 year-olds. However, what one says to the media is important. Elon's had a case of loose lips this week.

And no, it's not just one article.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-29592-mission-bodycopy.html

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/nov/11/elon-hoping-to-knock-off-mountaineers/?sports

And there's been a couple more Burlington news articles I've seen.

I'm not saying Lembo and Elon are like Mickey Mouth and JMU, but they have hyped the game up themselves.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
It's only overhyped if both teams serve as roadkill in the 1st round or quarterfinals.

From a CAA outsider looking in, maybe - LOL

It's easy to speculate on the playoffs but there is a more significant back-story. Appalachian and Elong have pretty much the same recruiting areas. Appalachian tends to pull more from 'Metrolina' (Charlotte) and upstate South Carolina. Elon from the Triad and Triangle (High Point/Greensboro/Winston-Salem to Chapel Hill-Raleigh-Durham).

Elon would love to snag a few App 'plums' and vice-versa. It's a pretty thin recruiting pool as it is with all the FBS programs in the area.

And who in their right mind allowed this to happen for Saturday:

Florida State at Wake
Appalachian at Elon
Georgia Tech at Dook
Miami at UNC
Clemson at NC State

Interstate 40/85 may collapse from all the game-day traffic!

It's been nice to get a few blurbs in the newspapers but that has pretty much been it. And, not surprisingly, today's news cycle is: WILL HARRISON BARNES CHOOSE UNC OR DOOK? That would be basketball, of course.

Appalachian wants that 10th SoCon championship (second only to the 12 of the vermin from Fermin). It's what Coach Moore always preaches to the team.

Elon wants to take that from Appalachian and become the 'New Sheriff in SoCon Town'.

It may seem like it's hyped around here (for good reason) but it actually has little if anything to do with the playoffs. You've got last years winner of the Payton wanting to go out on top with his team mates in the remaining games of his college career (who will hopefully let the game come to him instead of forcing things) playing a bunch of talented guys with a team on the rise.

The winner may have a potential playoff seed in the offing but that ain't really it. There are no guarantees in life, and that includes football. All Appalachian and Elon can hope for Saturday is to play their best and let the chips fall where they may because, regardless, there is a lot more ball to be played.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
~~~

Must be the brains of the operation ;)

T-Dog
November 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
And who in their right mind allowed this to happen for Saturday:

Florida State at Wake Noon
Appalachian at Elon 3 pm
Georgia Tech at Dook Noon
Miami at UNC 3:30 pm
Clemson at NC State Noon

Interstate 40/85 may collapse from all the game-day traffic!

Fixed to help some people out. xthumbsupx

Also.

NC Central @ Winston Salem State 1 pm.

Thankfully NC A&T have the week off and UNCG doesn't play football. :D

Funny thing is, all the road ACC teams are ranked (in one poll or another)

SoCon48
November 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Is the season over? no.

Considering there is the remote poassibility that we get only one bid, I don't think it is overhyped especially with the Riddle and Armanti show to watch.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The hell it isn't!

You don't think they're sandbagging do you?

elonfan06
November 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping to beat the traffic (and the rain) on 95/85 coming down from DC this afternoon. I think that this game isn't over hyped, being a homer it is a bigger game but I think when you have two top ten teams with a Conference Championship and automatic berth on the line it is big because the results can affect other teams. Not only that but you have two of the top players in the country playing on the same stage. Outside of the North Carolina Papers here is another (and national) media organization that has bought the "hype".

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-12-weekend-preview_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-12-weekend-preview_N.htm)

Looking forward to a good game and crowd tomorrow.

GO PHOENIX! BEAT APP!

tribe_pride
November 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm hoping to beat the traffic (and the rain) on 95/85 coming down from DC this afternoon. I think that this game isn't over hyped, being a homer it is a bigger game but I think when you have two top ten teams with a Conference Championship and automatic berth on the line it is big because the results can affect other teams. Not only that but you have two of the top players in the country playing on the same stage. Outside of the North Carolina Papers here is another (and national) media organization that has bought the "hype".

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-12-weekend-preview_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-11-12-weekend-preview_N.htm)

GO PHOENIX! BEAT APP!

You didn't miss the rain. For day 3, it's coming down bad with the wind.

phoenixphanatic21
November 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM

GO PHOENIX! BEAT APP!

Great to see us FINALLY getting some national attention. God knows ESPN won't even mention our game unless it has some miracle ending to it.

Also, here's a preview and breakdown of tomorrow's matchup by B.J. Bennett of southernpigskin.com.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/preview_asu_at_elon/

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM
This isn't overhyped. Biggest SoCon game since App-Wofford last year.

iceman4221
November 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Its the "real deal" two of the best in the country and the top two in the SoCon playing for all the marbles, near the end of the season, it doesn't get any better than this...

I am skippin the SCSU vs Morgan St game, so I can ride 30 miles down the road and scout a potential 1st round FCS Playoff opponent...

This should be "off da chain" since this is AE's last season @ App State!!!

Appinator
November 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Great to see us FINALLY getting some national attention. God knows ESPN won't even mention our game unless it has some miracle ending to it.

Also, here's a preview and breakdown of tomorrow's matchup by B.J. Bennett of southernpigskin.com.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/preview_asu_at_elon/

Great article, the guy really did his statistical research and had a great breakdown of game plans for both teams. Only slip up was mentioning CoCo, he is out for the season.

bigappfan10
November 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Overhyped...shees... It's like this. Elon hasn't experienced this before. The big game. Biggest game in their school's history. They've been talking ungodly trash and now as we approach gametime, they're thinking...."you know, that app team gets up for games like this. There's a good chance we may lose Saturday".
From someone from a school who plays in big games frequently...
Sir, it's not overhyped. It's a big game. Elon may win. If so, they just won a huge game which may propel them to something greater. And if you lose, you're still in the playoffs and maybe you learn from your mistakes which may propel you to something greater. But don't start getting scared at this point and begin downplaying everything.

It's a big game.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It's way overhyped because the SoCon is way down this year, and that is a trend for the long term.

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
It's way overhyped because the SoCon is way down this year, and that is a trend for the long term.

Some teams may be down (read: your team) but that doesn't mean App or Elon are down. Huge game.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Biggest game in their school's history.

Not sure if I would go that far. The two banners hanging up beside one of the endzones for 2 national titles (granted at the NAIA level) were probably the school's two biggest games.

Biggest game this season? Yes. Biggest game since coming up to FCS/I-AA? Probably (though I would argue beating Furman and A&T in '99 may be up there). Biggest game since joining the SoCon? Yes.

bigappfan10
November 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
yeah that win 30 years ago over the fighting gorillas definitely must have brought down the goal posts.

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Not sure if I would go that far. The two banners hanging up beside one of the endzones for 2 national titles (granted at the NAIA level) were probably the school's two biggest games.

Biggest game this season? Yes. Biggest game since coming up to FCS/I-AA? Probably (though I would argue beating Furman and A&T in '99 may be up there). Biggest game since joining the SoCon? Yes.

I agree that the NAIA national championships were huge. I was 12 years old, and I was there for the second one. However, they are playing at a much higher level now. Biggest game ever for Elon? Maybe. Because of the ramifications of a playoff bid and possible seed. And, to simply say to the college football world...we have arrived.

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
yeah that win 30 years ago over the fighting gorillas definitely must have brought down the goal posts.

Actually, it did bring the goal posts down at Alamance County Stadium, W. Williams High School. I still have a pylon from the end zone. I grabbed it and ran like a bat of he*!!. 12 years old, and I thought we had won the super bowl. However, this is a new day and a new level. The Phoenix are ready for it.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Actually, it did bring the goal posts down at Alamance County Stadium, W. Williams High School. I still have a pylon from the end zone. I grabbed it and ran like a bat of he*!!. 12 years old, and I thought we had won the super bowl. However, this is a new day and a new level. The Phoenix are ready for it.

Did Mom and Dad let you take it home or were you with someone else?

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Did Mom and Dad let you take it home or were you with someone else?

I was with my brother who was an Elon student at the time. He was inebriated, like most of the stadium. He thought it was cool, as did all of his frat brothers. I still have it!

appmaj
November 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Can you honestly say that you would rather have an NAIA Title than a SoCon title and a FCS playoff bid? xrolleyesx xnonono2x

ericsaid
November 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Can you honestly say that you would rather have an NAIA Title than a SoCon title and a FCS playoff bid? xrolleyesx xnonono2x

I don't think the question your asking can be answered correctly. You can't change the past which really makes this question irrelevent. Rhetorical or not.

30 years ago i'm sure they were fine with it. Atleast with my dad the Elon alum turned App fan.xcoffeex

Rekdiver
November 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Payback with interest coming for the late hits last year.......I know Elon is thinking about how it folded with a loss ot Liberty.........I sure wouldn't want the pressure Elon is facing thinking its this year or never!!!!!!!!

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM

hard to say. It's a different era, things are vastly different at Elon now than then. I will say this.....those NAIA titles, particularly back to back, were very important to the Elon students, alumni, fans, and community. Now, we have bigger fish to fry......11 hrs. 30 min. and it's on like a pot of neck bones.xnodx

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Payback with interest coming for the late hits last year.......I know Elon is thinking about how it folded with a loss ot Liberty.........I sure wouldn't want the pressure Elon is facing thinking its this year or never!!!!!!!!

Pressure. Yes, Elon is under pressure, but I don't think it's now or NEVER. We won't do away with football if we lose tomorrow. Matter of fact, whichever way it goes the other team has to keep it in perspective. More football to play, and post season hopes still very real. I think the real pressure is on Apps. Are they still the best team in the SoCon despite their inability to play defense? Are they still good enough to be a NC contender? According to all I read on here from App fans and others, they are the clear favorite. The top dogs are always under more pressure, right?

ASUG8
November 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Pressure. Yes, Elon is under pressure, but I don't think it's now or NEVER. We won't do away with football if we lose tomorrow. Matter of fact, whichever way it goes the other team has to keep it in perspective. More football to play, and post season hopes still very real. I think the real pressure is on Apps. Are they still the best team in the SoCon despite their inability to play defense? Are they still good enough to be a NC contender? According to all I read on here from App fans and others, they are the clear favorite. The top dogs are always under more pressure, right?

We're good, but I doubt we're the favorite - I think the spread is 3 1/2 Elon from some post I read on here, and you're ranked higher so I would expect you're the favorites overall especially at home. We're obviously going to have to bring everything to the field tomorrow to take you down and hope that the D makes the bus. I expect a McNeese-like shootout, hopefully with us controlling the ball last. :D

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
We're good, but I doubt we're the favorite - I think the spread is 3 1/2 Elon from some post I read on here, and you're ranked higher so I would expect you're the favorites overall especially at home. We're obviously going to have to bring everything to the field tomorrow to take you down and hope that the D makes the bus. I expect a McNeese-like shootout, hopefully with us controlling the ball last. :D

Elon -6 is the last line I heard. Speaking of the bus....I hope #14 misses the bus. Things could go a lot better for us if he does.

CamelCityAppFan
November 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Speaking of the bus....I hope #14 misses the bus. Things could go a lot better for us if he does.

What have you got against the freshman David Williams? Does he really drag your team down that much? xlolx

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
What have you got against the freshman David Williams? Does he really drag your team down that much? xlolx

Appy's #14.....you remember him don't you??xeyebrowx

jedmis10
November 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
What are you talking about? Over hyped? Do you realize this is for the conference championship and a possible seed? DO you realize this is only the 2nd time in conference history that two undefeated teams in SoCon play have met this late in the season? Do you realize these are two top 10 teams playing? Overhyped????

I totally Legree. I mean agree.xcoolx

jedmis10
November 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Some teams may be down (read: your team) but that doesn't mean App or Elon are down. Huge game.

Amen brother.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
hard to say. It's a different era, things are vastly different at Elon now than then. I will say this.....those NAIA titles, particularly back to back, were very important to the Elon students, alumni, fans, and community. Now, we have bigger fish to fry......11 hrs. 30 min. and it's on like a pot of neck bones.xnodx

Well said. Both titles STILL mean a heck of a lot to the school and alumni. Players from the championship titles still get together and talk about the games. When I was working at a TV station in Greensboro, our LSM's husband was an Elon grad and a senior lineback on the first title team. She said he STILL wore his ring every day!!!

Phoenix87
November 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I just hope that, no matter the outcome of tomorrows game, we both finish out the season strong next week and find ourselves on opposite sides of the playoff bracket. It would be pretty sweet if we both made a run at it and meet up for an all SoCon battle in Chattanooga. Two great teams meet up tomorrow.

69 degrees and partly cloudy for Elon, NC tomorrow. Can't wait to see what the real attendance is. Come early if you want to see the kick off because the gates always get backed up. Wouldn't be surprised to see them use the entrance behind the home stands for the students to move things a long.

Should be a great atmosphere for everyone. Go Phoenix!

2xspyder
November 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'll be coming through Burlington on Sat., and plan to stop and get cigars at JRs. When will be the best time to avoid game day traffic?

whoanellie
November 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'll be coming through Burlington on Sat., and plan to stop and get cigars at JRs. When will be the best time to avoid game day traffic? JR's is way off the way to Elon. I-85
/40 is just always busy 920 am will have play by play. long way to go for cigars

gophoenix
November 13th, 2009, 06:23 PM

They were just important to the team, alumni, community and fans as yours are and are no less important to Elon history.

gophoenix
November 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM

You know what's funny about that. None of the papers talk about this. The App commentators in the game didn't talk about it. The Elon radio announcers didn't either. No newspapers talked about it. None of the TV stations talked about it. Edwards and Hudgins are friends.

I am starting to this this is some mysterious obsession in the minds of some of you guys.

Seems like there is always some way you guys were wronged.

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
It happened. App fans remember it and I'd be willing to bet Armanti remembers it.

Edwards left the game midway through the fourth quarter after a late hit
http://sports.kdka.com/cfb/recap.asp?g=200811150171&e=2008_12_0171&home=171&vis=350

The App commentators in the game DID talk about it. I have no idea if the Elon ones did or not.

Newspapers and tv stations aren't talking about... because, honestly... the lack of research put into football games at our level of football is very noticable. I've read a few article mentioning CoCo Hillary as if he's going to contribute to App this game. I really would not expect any newpaper or tv station to pick up on the late hit.

Our team has used motivation from things like this. Our school newspaper picked Wofford to beat us last year. Different guys were quoted afterwards that that provided quite a bit of motivation (ended up crushing Wofford). Adam Urbano was quoted as saying something to the effect of "Georgia Southern running backs have been running through Appalachian's defenses for decades. And that was back when App's linebackers were good." Georgia Southern ended up rushing for 15 yards.

I don't know for a fact that Armanti remembers the late hit and that it will be extra motivation for him this weekend. But, I think there's a very good chance... and I would not want to be playing a pissed off Armanti. xwhistlex

ericsaid
November 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
It happened. App fans remember it and I'd be willing to bet Armanti remembers it.

http://sports.kdka.com/cfb/recap.asp?g=200811150171&e=2008_12_0171&home=171&vis=350

The App commentators in the game DID talk about it. I have no idea if the Elon ones did or not.

Newspapers and tv stations aren't talking about... because, honestly... the lack of research put into football games at our level of football is very noticable. I've read a few article mentioning CoCo Hillary as if he's going to contribute to App this game. I really would not expect any newpaper or tv station to pick up on the late hit.

Our team has used motivation from things like this. Our school newspaper picked Wofford to beat us last year. Different guys were quoted afterwards that that provided quite a bit of motivation (ended up crushing Wofford). Adam Urbano was quoted as saying something to the effect of "Georgia Southern running backs have been running through Appalachian's defenses for decades. And that was back when App's linebackers were good." Georgia Southern ended up rushing for 15 yards.

I don't know for a fact that Armanti remembers the late hit and that it will be extra motivation for him this weekend. But, I think there's a very good chance... and I would not want to be playing a pissed off Armanti. xwhistlex

Best post on this thread.xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Quit whining already. If there are late hits, hopefully a flag is thrown, take your 15 yds. and suck it up for the next play. If you want to play tennis, stay off the gridiron.

whoanellie
November 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
since I started this post this morning the majority of posters did not really get the sarcasm that was inferred.
let's have a huge game with a great atmosphere.... cut all the 'crapp and whinning on both sides and just agree to disagree. Elon's snub by ASU in not voting for us to become SoCon members is still a bitter pill to understand. Give'em Hell Elon!!!

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I hope everyone is loving the back and forth banter as much as I am. As I have said on here before, I have been an Elon fan since I was a small kid. Joined the Marines, came back and graduated from Elon. Just the fact that enough folks even give a sh!# to get on here and argue about it is awesome. Going to be a great atmosphere, Go Phoenix!

appmountaineer
November 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Go APP!!!

Mountaineer#96
November 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Quit whining already. If there are late hits, hopefully a flag is thrown, take your 15 yds. and suck it up for the next play. If you want to play tennis, stay off the gridiron.

Hope Scott Riddle goes out of bounds when he scrambles and saves ASU's defense from getting a flag thrown......since it isn't tennis and all.

Touchdown Yosef
November 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
since I started this post this morning the majority of posters did not really get the sarcasm that was inferred.
let's have a huge game with a great atmosphere.... cut all the 'crapp and whinning on both sides and just agree to disagree. Elon's snub by ASU in not voting for us to become SoCon members is still a bitter pill to understand. Give'em Hell Elon!!!

You had to start a thread to make a sarcastic post that no one obviously got (you wrote it not said it) in addition to the other 3 or 4 threads that are already going about this game.

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Lembo, when at Lehigh, and it sounds to somewhat at Elon, has gotten a bit of a rep of not being able to win the 'really big one' when needed. Several stubbed toes against Lafayette, a couple blown leads against Villanova and Delaware during his tenure. He needs to win this one to help establish himself in such a game. If Elon beats ASU and goes on to clinch the SoCon and do well in the playoffs, he may be off to greener pastures.

Touchdown Yosef
November 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Maybe the topic needs to be dropped, people definitely need to move on but it remains a hard pill to swallow when the best player in FCS was injured on a blatantly late hit, in a game in which there were several. Yes flags should have been thrown, yes I hope they are if anyone makes an unsportsmanlike play but its hard to swallow when obvious unsportsmanlike play changes a season for a team. Injuries are a part of the game we just expect them to come in bounds before the play is blown dead. Sour grapes, i don't know but it can be hard to get over for those that saw it happen especially with the outcome to the Payton award winner. (hip pointer, missed one game, offseason surgery and an obviously loss of an ability to be an effective runner)

Whats done is done just like the no vote from ASU for Elon and all we have to look forward to is just a huge game between two great FCS football programs. I can't wait for this year's game and all future games in another great Socon rivalry. See you all tomorrow in Burlington. I think I'll be in the Firehouse lot feel free to stop by for a beer and some friendly banter.

HenZoneNation
November 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Regardless of the outcome...I think Appy fans should spend the next few weeks enjoying AE's play...they won't see another player like that again. One of the best players in FCS history, the drop off will be huge. I guess that's the downside to having those types of players. I was just drinking with a friend of mine today whose a huge NY Knick fan and he still can't come to terms that Patrick Ewing is never coming back...the Knicks haven't either.

Is this game over hyped? Probably. Appy has shown they can win big games, Elon hasn't. If Appy gets hot they could win it all again, if not then they're no better than a second round team...Elon, depending on who the get, most likely won't make it out of the first round.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Trust me, homey. Your team is down. I'd be surprised if any SoCon schools make it to the semi-finals this year. App is the only team with a shot, and that is simply because of Edwards big play ability.

Horseshoe App
November 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM

You can call all of us a homer as much as you want. Probably 75% of what you say is trying to talk smack. You talk about ASU's inability to play defense. We were soft earlier, I admit that. But honestly, when your defense played a team with a good offense(Wake Forest), you gave up quite a few points. Yes, I put our offense on the level of Wake Forest, if not better. You are right in saying the pressure is on us. Your team should be loose as a goose. You have nothing to lose. You have to beat the big bully before you can be the big bully. Hopefully, App will still be the big bully after tomorrow. Yes, I am a homer, but you make me look tame in comparison. Are you still going to be so arrogant and pompous if Elon loses tomorrow? I hope you are. It will show you are not a bandwagon fan.

By the way, I hope both teams go far in the playoffs. I will be cheering for Elon in every game except the one's they play against App. Heck, one of the best men in my wedding was a Elon graduate.xpeacex

B&G
November 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
See now I have to disagree with something. I don't feel that ASU is the team that will be feeling pressure. I think ASU's main emotion is going to be anger. They'll be angry about their play versus Chattanooga. They will be angry about the perceived dirty play in last season's matchup. They will be angry that they're the underdogs. And they will probably be angry that Elon accidentally posted a premature banner on their website congratulating themselves for winning the SoCon. ASU has proven their worth in a lot of big games and I think it will be a situation where they thrive.

Elon, on the other hand, has to be feeling some sense of urgency. They need to get the App monkey off their backs. Losing would mean they not only miss out on being SoCon champs but also pretty much assures them of going on the road in the 1st round. Elon has something to prove.

And maybe the pressure factor won't make a lick of difference. But maybe it does. I've seen many games with ASU versus Furman under Bobby Lamb. It's like he loses his mind when he plays App because the pressure causes him to do crazy things. This game is going to be emotionally charged. A lot of people say the last team to have the ball will win the game. I actually think whichever team scores a TD first is going to win.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You can call all of us a homer as much as you want. Probably 75% of what you say is trying to talk smack. You talk about ASU's inability to play defense. We were soft earlier, I admit that. But honestly, when your defense played a team with a good offense(Wake Forest), you gave up quite a few points. Yes, I put our offense on the level of Wake Forest, if not better. You are right in saying the pressure is on us. Your team should be loose as a goose. You have nothing to lose. You have to beat the big bully before you can be the big bully. Hopefully, App will still be the big bully after tomorrow. Yes, I am a homer, but you make me look tame in comparison. Are you still going to be so arrogant and pompous if Elon loses tomorrow? I hope you are. It will show you are not a bandwagon fan.

By the way, I hope both teams go far in the playoffs. I will be cheering for Elon in every game except the one's they play against App. Heck, one of the best men in my wedding was a Elon graduate.xpeacexNeither team is going anywhere this year. This game is like NFL San Diego v. Denver. Both teams are servicabley good, but neither are championship caliber.
Sorry, SoCon. Our League is down, and continues to trend that way.

whoanellie
November 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Neither team is going anywhere this year. This game is like NFL San Diego v. Denver. Both teams are servicabley good, but neither are championship caliber.

sorry dude it sounds like sour grapes coming your source. just because your down does not mean you can't root for Ga Tech and your former coach

AppIAA
November 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Neither team is going anywhere this year. This game is like NFL San Diego v. Denver. Both teams are servicabley good, but neither are championship caliber.

And we will trust that coming from someone who has 11 post.. i know at least 4 of which are "SoCon sucks!" type of posts.. get of your pedestal and realize because GaSo is having a down couple of years, does not mean the top 2 SoCon teams are..

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Post count equates to credibility? wow. xthumbsupx
Guess we'll see who's right come playoff time.

09griz
November 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Its lookin' like it!

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
as Robert De Niro would say,......"a lil' bit, lil bit. "

ASUG8
November 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Post count equates to credibility? wow. xthumbsupx
Guess we'll see who's right come playoff time.

Either way, you'll be watching from home. Sorry about the sour grapes, maybe you should stomp them and make some whine. xsmiley_wix

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Either way, you'll be watching from home. Sorry about the sour grapes, maybe you should stomp them and make some whine. xsmiley_wixNot whining. I know GSU is horrible. I also know that Appy is not as good as past years. Just calling it like I see it.
and no way I'll be watching. I don't watch I-AA unless GSU is playing.

AppChicago
November 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Not whining. I know GSU is horrible. I also know that Appy is not as good as past years. Just calling it like I see it.

Then you probably belong on a GSU board, turd.

Moving on... xcoffeex

PhoenixSupreme
November 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Then you probably belong on a GSU board, turd.

Moving on... xcoffeex

Agreed

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
AgreedPost police. Last I heard it's still a free country.
You're just mad that my prediction about Elon getting stomped is coming true. sorry, charlie.

PhoenixSupreme
November 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Post police. Last I heard it's still a free country.
You're just mad that my prediction about Elon getting stomped is coming true. sorry, charlie.

It may be a free country and you can post on whatever board you want, but I was agreeing with AppChicago that if all you care about is Georgia Southern and you don't have the slightest care about the FCS in general, then you should migrate to a GaSo board. Your potential homer-ism may be more appreciated there.

And why would I pay attention to your particular posts when half of AGS has predicted Elon to be blownout. Quit being so conceited and naive.

mistersykes
November 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
It may be a free country and you can post on whatever board you want, but I was agreeing with AppChicago that if all you care about is Georgia Southern and you don't have the slightest care about the FCS in general, then you should migrate to a GaSo board. Your potential homer-ism may be more appreciated there.

And why would I pay attention to your particular posts when half of AGS has predicted Elon to be blownout. Quit being so conceited and naive.

Agreed!xnodx AGS is for I-AA/FCS fans. Go to your own board if you only care about your own team.xtwocentsx

ASUG8
November 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Does this count as a quality win, FCS? xsmiley_wix

YoUDeeMan
November 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Does this count as a quality win, FCS? xsmiley_wix

Not really.

Elon still hasn't beaten anyone...or come close.

KiddBrewer
November 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Not really.

Elon still hasn't beaten anyone...or come close.

hey good thing it doesnt matter. lllloovveeee that autobidxthumbsupx

ngineer
November 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
As I posted earlier. Pete still seems to have problems with the 'big game' when much is riding on the outcome. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe not. What happens if there is a big letdown and Samford bites the Phoenix? I'd like to see Elon make the playoffs and Lembo to show what he can do,but I'd be concerned about next week...

AppMAN04
November 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM
we opened a bucket of WOOPASS!!! Elon loses next week and misses the playoffs

Touchdown Yosef
November 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Not whining. I know GSU is horrible. I also know that Appy is not as good as past years. Just calling it like I see it.

What happened to all those GSU 9 star recruits that were landed bc GSU is moving up and they are now recruiting superior talent. Damn with all that talent you have there and you still struggle to finish in the top half of a down league with FBS aspiration you really should be that pissed off. Good luck GSU I've come to love hatcher and hope he stay for a very long time.

We will see how down App is when the real test begins here in a few weeks, until then no one really knows. With the defense playing like that and not giving up the big play App may be up this year we'll just have to see how healthy AE is going forward.