PDA

View Full Version : Delaware may cancel 2011 & 2012 meeting with South Dakota State

GoBlueHens83
November 13th, 2009, 03:03 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091113/SPORTS07/911130369/1002/SPORTS/UD+tries+to+avoid+triple+trip-up

"Delaware is expected to announce after the season it has reached an agreement with South Dakota State to cancel their scheduled games in 2011 (there) and 2012 (here). They'll still play here Sept. 11, 2010. Delaware has not filled those dates, but Delaware State is the most likely foe for the 2011 opening. ... Delaware has told Pittsburgh it is not interested in a 2014 game proposed by the Big East's Panthers. Keeler's preferred policy is playing I-AA schools at home in future nonconference games, though Navy is on the 2011 schedule and perhaps 2013"

Well if this happens it will be pretty crappy. I was looking forward to this series. I really hope they do not cancel it. xnonono2x

T-Dog
November 13th, 2009, 03:37 AM
No UD fan has the right to make fun of Furman ever again.

OhioHen
November 13th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Keeler's preferred policy is playing I-AA schools at home in future nonconference games

Well if this happens it will be pretty crappy. I was looking forward to this series. I really hope they do not cancel it. xnonono2x

Losing the SDSU series as a series would be terrible, IMO.

But look on the bright side Hens fans -- this could mean the end of West Chester as an out of conference opponent.

unicat87
November 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I hope they don't cancel the UD-SDSU series, that's an interesting inter-regional matchup. -unicat87 :)

cougarpines
November 13th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Completely different with respect to timeing and is being done far in advance by what I assume is mutual agreement. "Furmanized " this is not.

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
It certainly would've been an interseting road trip, but I think the 2nd & 3rd games in the original deal are as dead as a doornail. This isn't a shocker, it's been more than rumored for about a year.

APPS
November 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Hens skeered? The Furman thing was always UD blowhardiness.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I like this series. It would further legitimize my already well-grounded East Coast Bias.

DG Cowboy
November 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
McNeese has played them two barn-burners, so I think the Delaware fans lose out on this as far as fun football games are concerned.

OL FU
November 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM
:D

Being Udeed sounds much better than being Furmaned.

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Glad the schools are at least keeping the game alive in Newark. Hopefully UD the 2-for-1 was structured/re-structured to make it well worth SDSU while to come halfway across the country. It should be a nice game.

Travel costs in a tight economy make playing home-homes like this infeasible for both sides. There's no need for it if you can get local opponents or big paydays from FBS schools. Unfortunately, these type of series are going to be rarer until the economy improves.

aust42
November 13th, 2009, 07:57 AM
KC Keeler is a pu$$ey. He doesn't want to play anymore 1A schools and just wants cupcake OCC games played at home. Ergo Duquense next year. I want him fired.

4th and What?
November 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM
What is the plus side for this? Is it just travel costs that are the issue? I see that as a quality OOC matchup that will only help UD's SoS in future years and should provide good exciting games.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Well, for one, AFAIK this is a joint decision between UD and SDSU. Furthermore, we're talking about games that are two and three years away and not a home and home where one team played and then cancelled.

I was certainly looking forward to the series, but this is a far cry from the FU/UD deal. xcoffeex

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 08:02 AM
KC Keeler is a pu$$ey. He doesn't want to play anymore 1A schools and just wants cupcake OCC games played at home. Ergo Duquense next year. I want him fired.
Keep that talk to gohens. Let's not infect another message board with this crap. xcoolx

nwFL Griz
November 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Losing the SDSU series as a series would be terrible, IMO.

But look on the bright side Hens fans -- this could mean the end of West Chester as an out of conference opponent.

Yeah, but that quote is rather troubling. He prefers to play 1-AA schools AT HOME. So what, are the Blue Hens gonna start pulling a Florida? If that is the case, I see a lot of NEC/PL games in your future.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
The way things are going for UD, I'm not surprised that KC would dump a tough FCS opponent while keeping the likes of DII West Chester on the schedule. UD also turned down a proposed 2014 game vs Pitt, but who needs tough OOC games like SDST and Pitt when you can pad your resume with the likes of Duquesne, Monmouth and West Chester. xrolleyesx

93henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:12 AM
This stinks. I was really looking forward to this series at both venues.

It's clearly not a Furman situation, for all the reasons stated above. Furman took the home money, took the Mizzou money, and left Delaware (in the SAME YEAR) with a hole in their schedule that had a trickle down effect on at least three other schools. Such a selfish decision by Furman, while the UD-SDSU agreement appears to be leaving both parties content and with plenty of time to painlessly fill their slates in 2011 and 2012.

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I see that as a quality OOC matchup that will only help UD's SoS in future years and should provide good exciting games.

But does UD or SDSU really need "quality OOC matchups"? Don't their conference schedules pretty much guarantee them strong SoS's anyway? The bottom line is that both teams will be ranked highly and in the playoffs with at least 8 D-I wins no matter what.

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Your one true road game can't always be your pay day at an FBS school. JMU went down to Liberty and beat a good team. I know the region thing helped and fans aren't happy about only 5 home games but it helps the street cred.

93henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah, but that quote is rather troubling. He prefers to play 1-AA schools AT HOME. So what, are the Blue Hens gonna start pulling a Florida? If that is the case, I see a lot of NEC/PL games in your future.

Yeah, because their aren't any other teams (*cough, in Missoula*) that see the money-raking beauty of never leaving their cozy confines besides when they're required to.

In this day and age, particularly in the gauntlet that is the CAA South, there is good reason to wipe all D-II and FBS off your slate and play softer FCS OOCs.

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The way things are going for UD, I'm not surprised that KC would dump a tough FCS opponent while keeping the likes of DII West Chester on the schedule.

WCUPA is off the schedule after the current deal expires. Keeler is a proponent of not playing D-II games. Had the prior administration not rammed a 3-year contract extension down our collective throats before leaving UD, that series would have expired after this season. xsmhx

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Well, Florida does have the hardware. xsmiley_wix I hate Florida's schedule and have actually been raggin on it on the Other Sports board, but I-AA is all about making the playoffs andwith 22,000 fans at games, a home game is worth a lot of money to the Hens. A game full of DI opponents will actually be a step up for the Hens (even though their D2 opponent was better than some I-AA's) so this make sense. The Hens will face at least 4 ranked teams in the regular season and to win the NC they would have to face and beat 4 more. Because of our playoff system, the comparison to Florida is a little lessened IMO.

BTW, you may still see some good I-AA's come to Newark with no return trip. This has happened in the past. xpeacex

UncleSam
November 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
WCUPA is off the schedule after the current deal expires. Keeler is a proponent of not playing D-II games. Had the prior administration not rammed a 3-year contract extension down our collective throats before leaving UD, that series would have expired after this season. xsmhx

If they were able to drop the SDST series, they could have reached a similar agreement with West Chester, of course that's providing that KC actually wanted that game off the schedule.

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
BTW, you may still see some good I-AA's come to Newark with no return trip. This has happened in the past. xpeacex

I agree but don't think this makes UD an attractive destination. Don't want to be known as scared to leave your friendly confines for a tough game.

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Your one true road game can't always be your pay day at an FBS school. JMU went down to Liberty and beat a good team. I know the region thing helped and fans aren't happy about only 5 home games but it helps the street cred.

"Street cred". WTF?

CAA teams need 7 D-I wins to qualify for the playoffs; 8 is a mortal lock. So-called "street cred", whatever that is, counts for zippo.

aust42
November 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Keep that talk to gohens. Let's not infect another message board with this crap. xcoolx

Just angry and groggy before my standard coffee fill up.

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
"Street cred". WTF?

CAA teams need 7 D-I wins to qualify for the playoffs; 8 is a mortal lock. So-called "street cred", whatever that is, counts for zippo.

How can we say we are the best conference without playing good teams OOC? I know we can in the playoffs but panzy schedules is what keeps good teams out. The CAA South is dominant now but what happens when UD loses to the only 3 good teams in the CAA one year and plays PL/NEC games OOC only at home? Sounds like the first 8-3 UD team to sit home IMO....

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
If they were able to drop the SDST series, they could have reached a similar agreement with West Chester, of course that's providing that KC actually wanted that game off the schedule.

It's not the same thing at all. First off, unlike SDSU, we don't know that WCUPA would agree to it. Secondly, the SDSU home-home probably didn't involve a buyout, whereas WCUPA probably would.

Hard to hang that decision on Keeler, who clearly doesn't want to play D-II games.

MR. CHICKEN
November 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
NO-BODAH KNOWS WHO REALLY WANTED OUT....MUTUAL AGREEMENT DOUGH...(AH'D GUESS SDST..AS TWO TRIPS EAST $$...MO' DAN ONE TRIP WEST $)...DUH RABBITS ARE COMIN' TA DUH COOP NEXT YEAR...&....DELAWARE COULD CERTAINLY AFFORD...UH FLY-OVERAH DUH BUNNY RANCH.....AS FAR AS WATERIN' DOWN DUH SKED WHIFF DIS LOSS.......DELAWARE IS USUALLY RIGHT UP DERE IN STRENGTH O' SKED WHIFF ANYBODAH.......LOOK @ OURAH 2003 MURDERERS ROW...TA 'NOOGAH......O'...2007....O'...OURAH CURRENT ONE.......OH YEAH....AN' FO' DUH GRIZZWOLDS WHO THINK WE SHOODN'T HAVE MO' DAN 6 HOMERS UH YEAR......YER 2007 & 2008 SHOW SEVEN HOMERS......AN' AH CAN REMEMBERAH YEAR WHERE YA HAD EIGHT.....ALA MARSHALL..........xpopcornx......BRAWK!

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:29 AM
How can we say we are the best conference without playing good teams OOC? I know we can [win] in the playoffs...

I think you just answered your own question.

If JMU or any other FCS school wants to sacrifice profitable homes games for revenue neutral (at best) home-home deals, they can knock themselves out. UD has been operating a financially successful, highly competitive FB program since long before JMU had a team. They know what they're doing in that regard.

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM

If JMU or any other FCS school wants to sacrifice profitable homes games for revenue neutral (at best) home-home deals, they can knock themselves out. UD has been operating a financially successful, highly competitive FB program since long before JMU had a team. They know what they're doing in that regard.

Read the rest of the quote instead of taking just the first part. You can't get to the playoffs without good wins. Take a look at Liberty who may not get in. Do I think UD could make some noise? Yes but they won't get in this year due to the schedule and UD fans have stated that themselves. Replace WC with G'Town and I still don't think you get in with meeting your 7 D-1 win requirement. xcoffeex

NDB
November 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Very true, but they just decided to take an action that will damage their credibility.

Go ahead and be the Grizzlies of Newark.

henfan
November 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
You can't get to the playoffs without good wins... Do I think UD could make some noise? Yes but they won't get in this year due to the schedule and UD fans have stated that themselves.

Yes, you absolutely can. Any CAA team with at least 8 D-I wins is a stone, cold mortal lock to make the playoffs; I don't care which teams those 8 wins came against. Any D-I win is a good one as far as the PSC is concerned.

After playing USNA & VU, UD will have one of the highest SoS in the entire FCS. Our problem hasn't been SoS, it's been competitiveness (i.e.- number of D-I wins.) Even as bad as the season has been, if UD somehow, someway pulls off the impossible and defeats Navy & VU on the road, they will have 7 D-I wins and will make the playoffs. Period. Absolutely no question about it. (That said, I have little hope of that happening.)

BloomHusky'01
November 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I've heard this from the West Chester side too. After the current deal expires, it most likely will not be renewed. That series has outlived its usefulness anyway. WCU does like to use it as a recruiting tool (and a payday) but its been years since they've been able to give the hens a game and they've come out of it a big banged up a couple of times. On the other hand, if UD is just going to replace that game with Dusquesne, they're not stepping up very much. I'm highly confident West Chester would kick the hell out of Dusquesne.

OL FU
November 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Well, for one, AFAIK this is a joint decision between UD and SDSU. Furthermore, we're talking about games that are two and three years away and not a home and home where one team played and then cancelled.

I was certainly looking forward to the series, but this is a far cry from the FU/UD deal. xcoffeex

Besides, on second thought is actually does sound better to say you have been FU'dxlolx

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
On the other hand, if UD is just going to replace that game with Dusquesne, they're not stepping up very much. I'm highly confident West Chester would kick the hell out of Dusquesne.
I don't know if they would beat Duquesne, but it is pretty much a wash. I, and many other Hen fans, have said many times that WCUPA would not be the worst team in I-AA and that replacing them with DSU would be the same most years. Just like top I-AA's compared to many I-A's.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Very true, but they just decided to take an action that will damage their credibility.

Go ahead and be the Grizzlies of Newark.
Why not? How many straight trips to the playoffs? :)

WMTribe90
November 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Good luck recruiting IA tweeners to come play at UD when they see that they will never get to play against IA competition and all of your CAA peers do.

Players want totest themselves against the best and play in big games.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Good luck recruiting IA tweeners to come play at UD when they see that they will never get to play against IA competition and all of your CAA peers do.

Never been a problem in the past. I guess instead of tweeners, we'll just have to keep taking I-A transfers. xsmiley_wix

Poker Alan
November 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Of course a school from the east is going to duck playing someone from the west... obv the east coast bias shining through...

hey, SDSU ... call up Montana... we will see if we can fit you in.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Never been a problem in the past. I guess instead of tweeners, we'll just have to keep taking I-A transfers. xsmiley_wix

I agree, mainly due to the fact that KC will have no other option since he hasn't shown much ability to actually develope talent and build a program.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Of course a school from the east is going to duck playing someone from the west... obv the east coast bias shining through....
No doubt. Got to keep our SOS up. xwhistlex

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Well, considering that we've been doing that for about the past 2 decades (UD has not consistently been playing IA teams for some time now while conference mates have been playing them every year) I'd say I'm not too worried about UD's recruiting from that perspective. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 10:01 AM
How can we say we are the best conference without playing good teams OOC? I know we can in the playoffs but panzy schedules is what keeps good teams out. The CAA South is dominant now but what happens when UD loses to the only 3 good teams in the CAA one year and plays PL/NEC games OOC only at home? Sounds like the first 8-3 UD team to sit home IMO....

Read the rest of the quote instead of taking just the first part. You can't get to the playoffs without good wins. Take a look at Liberty who may not get in. Do I think UD could make some noise? Yes but they won't get in this year due to the schedule and UD fans have stated that themselves. Replace WC with G'Town and I still don't think you get in with meeting your 7 D-1 win requirement. xcoffeex

You have noticed that in 2010, the playoffs expand to 20 teams, correct? And with the PFL likely to ask for an autobid, the playoffs expanding to 24 teams is not far behind. Under that scenario, UD could play Dusquesne for all 3 OOC games, and as long as they finish 8-3 they would be an absolute lock to make the expanded playoffs every year. Heck, 7-4 would probably do it too.

The CAA has it's current reputation mainly from its success in the playoffs. OOC-wise, there are plenty of soft spots in the CAA's schedule, as I'm sure other conferences would like to point out. Where the reputation is being built up is in the post-season. UD's scheduling philosophy will have no change on that.

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
but I-AA is all about making the playoffs andwith 22,000 fans at games, a home game is worth a lot of money to the Hens.

Yea, but in case you haven't noticed, the days of automatic sellouts seem like they may be fading. Less than 19K for the Hofstra game last week, lowest attended game maybe of the decade for a regular season game. Are fans going to come out in droves to see NEC slop? Not enthusiastically, no.

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
:D

Being Udeed sounds much better than being Furmaned.

Hey, feel free to make a definition if you want. Someone already coined the "Furmaned" definition. xlolx

Of course, the two situations couldn't be any more different. Furman screwed UD by cancelling a game in the same calendar year, after pocketing the money from the front end of a home and home deal, and then ran after more money in a brutal loss to Missouri, leaving UD scrambling to fill the date. In this case, UD and SDSU have talked it out more than 2 years before the actual game was to happen, and basically, the two schools have decided to end the home and home part of the deal and they have agreed to keeping the part open where UD pays SDSU to come play.

And of course the other difference, UD has expressed no significant desire to avoid the QB whom SDSU may have in 2011 and 2012. They didn't get the "Devlin Shivers" like Furman did. :p

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yea, but in case you haven't noticed, the days of automatic sellouts seem like they may be fading. Less than 19K for the Hofstra game last week, lowest attended game maybe of the decade for a regular season game. Are fans going to come out in droves to see NEC slop? Not enthusiastically, no.

Fans don't come out in droves when the team's not going to the playoffs and it's late in the season. 16k came out for the JMU game in '98 when we had no shot at the playoffs. Heck, 17k came out for the URI game in '99 when we were actually still very much alive for a playoff spot (we ended up losing at nova the following week, thus being bounced from the playoffs). Only 18k came out for the Richmond game in '01 when not only did we have no shot at he playoffs, but it was Tubby's last chance probably to win #300.

And frankly, people will come out for the NEC/Patriot League blah games that will likely be scheduled. They'll come out because the games will be early in the year, and they will be night games. Albany was a sellout both times they played at UD and even Monmouth brought in close to 22k. All 3 games were early in the year and night games.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
2001 had a game under 19k and 2002 had a game under 20k. The 2003 championship went a long away. You hate to lose momentum, but attendance this year is still better than 2001 and probably 2002. xpeacex

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
GF & 89, you guys are both going back 7-11 years to find examples of crowds as low as UD has had recently, and we're only 2 seasons off a NC visit.

Not sounding the alarms but it's definitely something to look at. I only hope Muir & his team are looking at it too.

putter
November 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, because their aren't any other teams (*cough, in Missoula*) that see the money-raking beauty of never leaving their cozy confines besides when they're required to.

In this day and age, particularly in the gauntlet that is the CAA South, there is good reason to wipe all D-II and FBS off your slate and play softer FCS OOCs.

Take that needle off the broken record....does UD have a $1M budget deficit??? None that I have heard of. Once that was paid off, look what happened....Montana @ Poly.....Montana @ UC Davis in the future Montana @ App...Montana @ McNeese.....

The sad thing is, this type of game is EXACTLY what the FCS needs. Intra conference games which is good for the division and allows people to really compare the teams and conferences....xsmhx

WMTribe90
November 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Well, considering that we've been doing that for about the past 2 decades (UD has not consistently been playing IA teams for some time now while conference mates have been playing them every year) I'd say I'm not too worried about UD's recruiting from that perspective. xthumbsupx

Not playing a IA every year and refusing all IA games from here on out are entirely different things. And, from what I've seen you should be worried by Keelers inability to consistently recruit, keep and develop HS recruits to the point whereheis not relying on transfers and true freshmen to fill gaps every year.. I guess the transfers won't care whether UD plays a IA or not, they already had their chance to measure up to IA competition. As a former player, I can tell you these IA games are a recruiting draw and one of the reasons I shied away from the PL and Ivy schools.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
That sad thing is, this type of game is EXACTLY what the FCS needs. Intra conference games which is good for the division and allows people to really compare the teams and conferences....xsmhx

I agree, but obviously KC needs wins much more than he needs tough intersectional FCS games... :o

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
GF & 89, you guys are both going back 7-11 years to find examples of crowds as low as UD has had recently, and we're only 2 seasons off a NC visit.

Not sounding the alarms but it's definitely something to look at. I only hope Muir & his team are looking at it too.
Coincidental that one has to go back to pre-KC to find them? xeyebrowxxwhistlex

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
That sad thing is, this type of game is EXACTLY what the FCS needs. Intra conference games which is good for the division and allows people to really compare the teams and conferences....xsmhx
I thought the playoffs did that? The BCS needs it, we don't. xpeacex

RabidRabbit
November 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
When the Jacks/Hens set this series up, SDSU was very much in the GWFC, and getting a storied program like UD, was good, even if it was 2-4-1.

Now, Jacks are in the MVFC, and the tough scheduling of a UD, Poly, and a BCS in the season meant a great chance of going 0-3 OOC. Further having to play twice to get one home game has lost its luster.

2011 in particular will see a repeat of this season for MoValley action, with SIU/ UNI/ NDSU all playing in Brookings. Perhaps a "lesser challenge" (OVC, GWFC, NEC, SLC, Big South?) ? Plus, if the Pioneer is going to participate in the play-offs, there will be screams for them to show that they're worthy, and there are the Drakes, Daytons, Valpos that may be willing to schedule a MVFC team.

Jacks averaged 13K attendence this year with 5 games. If can keep that up, and maybe start to get to be a consistent play-off team, as SDSU looks to build a new football stadium, maybe we can justify a 20K stadium.

I've enjoyed the reputation that SDSU has built of playing anybody anywhere, to get the best teams each year. However, that may have bit Jacks furry tail in 2008, with McNeese/Poly/IA St/SFA as their OOC. If this falls the way listed, it'd be ok, but better would be a home/home, and skip the 3rd game. Hens will explain that that's not happening, but IMHO, the days of SDSU being a 2 fer target are done.

putter
November 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM

The playoffs do accomplish that but it does add excitement. I thought it was great to see App play McNeese this year and has been a measuring stick and they both have a chance at the playoffs. If you are saying the FCS doesn't need these types of games in OOC then you can't complain that the Hens play West Chester or Montana plays Western State....

LacesOut
November 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Would have liked to see it stay at least a home and home series between UD and SDSU.

Oh well.

UncleSam
November 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM

UD fans sure as heck don't need a 2010 schedule populated by both Duquesne and West Chester. That's downright embarrassing.

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If you are saying the FCS doesn't need these types of games in OOC then you can't complain that the Hens play West Chester or Montana plays Western State....
Actually I can. They don't count at all, so why play them?

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
UD fans sure as heck don't need a 2010 schedule populated by both Duquesne and West Chester. That's downright embarrassing.
WCUPA should be gone soon. If it were up to me, here are some examples of what I'd try to schedule (assuming these teams would come)...

Georgia Southern, Lehigh, Georgetown

@Navy, DSU, Monmouth

@Rutgers, Penn, Stony Brook

@Maryland, Coastal, Princeton

Benne
November 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Sure, you have O'Day and Hauck book those plane tickets out to Sioux Falls, it's just a short drive up to Brookings.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Dog bites man. Hmm, UD backing out of home-and-home commitments, where have I heard that before?

xcoffeex

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Dog bites man. Hmm, UD backing out of home-and-home commitments, where have I heard that before?

xcoffeex

Hmm, I seem to remember a certain school in Bethlehem doing that to UD back in the '80's, maybe that's what you're remembering??? :p

HenZoneNation
November 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Not even close to the same thing...Our schedule this year is ranked the hardest in the FCS...we don't dodge elite teams. FU bailed for a payday. I don't think they were scared of us. I also don't think they would have left Newark with a W which might have help pushed them to do what they did...if you're gonna lose you might as well get paid more while doing it.

93henfan
November 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hmm, I seem to remember a certain school in Bethlehem doing that to UD back in the '80's, maybe that's what you're remembering??? :p

xthumbsupx

89Hen
November 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM

xcoffeex
Morning Call maybe? xcoffeex

SoCalAg
November 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If Delaware dumps 'em, I'd be happy to get SDSU back on our schedule. We are always looking for good OOC games. Would be fun to renew the old GWFC rivalry. We are already making annual trips to the Dakotas....

DSUrocks07
November 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Keep it movin UD...keep it movin...

Hey SDSU, ya'll want to get a series goin? We're just right down the road in Dover xwhistlex

We'll take a two for one...hell and three for one deal. xthumbsupx

superman7515
November 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Coincidental that one has to go back to pre-KC to find them? xeyebrowxxwhistlex

2002 wasn't pre-Keeler.
8/29/02 - Georgia Southern - 19,056
10/12/02 - James Madison - 19,666
10/26/02 - New Hampshire - 19,866

"The Hens are a meek 17-22 in conference play the past five seasons, and
other than an upset loss to William and Mary in the first round of the 2004 playoffs, it's been the national championship game or nothing - including last year's worst season in UD history - under Keeler."

superman7515
November 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
NO-BODAH KNOWS WHO REALLY WANTED OUT....MUTUAL AGREEMENT DOUGH...(AH'D GUESS SDST..AS TWO TRIPS EAST $$...MO' DAN ONE TRIP WEST $)...DUH RABBITS ARE COMIN' TA DUH COOP NEXT YEAR...&....DELAWARE COULD CERTAINLY AFFORD...UH FLY-OVERAH DUH BUNNY RANCH.....AS FAR AS WATERIN' DOWN DUH SKED WHIFF DIS LOSS.......DELAWARE IS USUALLY RIGHT UP DERE IN STRENGTH O' SKED WHIFF ANYBODAH.......LOOK @ OURAH 2003 MURDERERS ROW...TA 'NOOGAH......O'...2007....O'...OURAH CURRENT ONE.......OH YEAH....AN' FO' DUH GRIZZWOLDS WHO THINK WE SHOODN'T HAVE MO' DAN 6 HOMERS UH YEAR......YER 2007 & 2008 SHOW SEVEN HOMERS......AN' AH CAN REMEMBERAH YEAR WHERE YA HAD EIGHT.....ALA MARSHALL..........xpopcornx......BRAWK!

I've figured it out... be honest... you're not Foghorn Leghorn, you're "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Everyone knows roosters can't type and only he could talk like that.xlolx

goyotes
November 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
What is likelihood of next announcement to be "USD at SDSU in Nov, 2010 and 2011 (date vacated by the Hens) and SDSU to visit the Dome in 2012".

SDSUJacks
November 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
It's a shame that the series will be cut to one game. I would have loved to see us play UD a few times, would have been great. I'm sure the decision was made with the best in mind for both schools. At least they do meet up once. Goyotes, I think it would an interesting series playing USD. Hopefully it gets worked out it the future.

goyotes
November 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Brother Rabbit, I to look forward to the series being renewed. Part of me would like to see it start in 2010, but part of me would like to have the Yotes get another year or two of transition first.

SDSUJacks
November 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Agreed, I think it would be better to wait until, say, 2012. USD is still young, but seem to be taking the transition well. You should have a good team in a few years.

putter
November 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Actually I can. They don't count at all, so why play them?

that was my point. Instead of the West Chesters or Western States of the world - it would be great to have App/McNeese, Montana/UD in OOC in some years.

HenZoneNation
November 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'd like to see that as well but I think KC is leaning more towards the DSU'S and Georgetown's of college football than a Montana. The money/travel wouldn't work but it sure would be fun to a Montana home game. The stadium looks sicj and the view outside the stadium looks even better.

We tried to get that going with Furman...but you know how that went.

BDKJMU
November 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Nope. An 8-3, 7 Div I CAA team, esp from the South, is a lock in the EXPANDED playoffs.

henfan
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
An 8-3, 7 Div I CAA team, esp from the South, is a lock in the EXPANDED playoffs.

Stone cold mortal lock.xnodx

It's getting to the 7 wins that's a challenge for us.xsmhx

93henfan
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Here's an article with Keeler going on the record as saying dropping West Chester "has to be a consideration":

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091117/SPORTS07/911170313/1002/SPORTS/Unseating+Villanova+may+not+be+enough+for+Hens

xbowx xbowx xbowx

BDKJMU
November 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Not even close to the same thing...Our schedule this year is ranked the hardest in the FCS...we don't dodge elite teams. FU bailed for a payday. I don't think they were scared of us. I also don't think they would have left Newark with a W which might have help pushed them to do what they did...if you're gonna lose you might as well get paid more while doing it.

Not true. Only 10 Div I. JMU's is harder.

GannonFan
November 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Not true. Only 10 Div I. JMU's is harder.

All depends on how you view West Chester versus VMI - there are plenty of DII teams that are better than some FCS teams. I would've thought you would've remembered the Bloomsburg example. xwhistlex

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Here's an article with Keeler going on the record as saying dropping West Chester "has to be a consideration":

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091117/SPORTS07/911170313/1002/SPORTS/Unseating+Villanova+may+not+be+enough+for+Hens

xbowx xbowx xbowx

In the past, Keeler mentioned that he thought that playing a school like Lehigh was something he thought that should happen more often. Maybe Lehigh, on future schedules, takes WCU's place? Just sayin'.

GannonFan
November 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
In the past, Keeler mentioned that he thought that playing a school like Lehigh was something he thought that should happen more often. Maybe Lehigh, on future schedules, takes WCU's place? Just sayin'.

Delaware St, or a low level NEC team, will take West Chester's place on the schedule as the annual, play-in-Newark-forever team. Where a Lehigh could fit the bill would be filling in in years where UD does not play an FBS team (UD has dates in several years ahead with Navy only right now).

I've got no problem with it. It was always a shame that Lehigh cancelled the home and home series back in the '80's - probably would still be going on today if not for that. xthumbsupx

Crashola
November 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Of course a school from the east is going to duck playing someone from the west... obv the east coast bias shining through...

I'm guessing that SDSU put Montana on its "Do Not Call" list after the last time the schools had an agreement.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Never heard this. Thought you guys played pretty much every year back then at Delaware Stadium and Taylor Stadium.

GannonFan
November 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Never heard this. Thought you guys played pretty much every year back then at Delaware Stadium and Taylor Stadium.

Lehigh felt, with the advent of the Patriot League and grant-in-aid football, that they wouldn't be able to compete with UD going forward, and hence asked UD to be let out of their annual series (which was played as a true home and home). UD reluctantly complied. Lehigh fans like to focus on UD's insistence, years later, once Lehigh realized they could still play decent football, to play most, if not all the games, in Newark. But, that never would've come about had Lehigh not severed the original rivalry. xreadx