PDA

View Full Version : Best games you've ever attended, watched, or played in

SU Jag
December 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Alright guys its the off-season so its time reflect on this past season and also seasons past. Tell the folks here at AGS some of the pest D-1AA games that you've ever seen or played in! :coach:

grizband
December 19th, 2005, 03:01 PM
2000 semi's UM vs App. State (ot) - "the catch" This one came down to one play for the Griz, eventually postponing App States quest for a title (obviously, only for a little while)

2004 UM at EWU - the Griz had to come back from 10 points down, and won by blocking a kick as time expired

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM
2004 - SHSU @ EWU - Watched on television unfortunately, but Kats rallied from 19 points down in the final quarter and won the game thanks to an amazing drive by Dustin Long, a blocked FG and lots of others who stepped up huge. Advanced to semifinals from there...

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
2003 quarters vs. Western Illinois. You can read the 2005 I-AA.org preview for my full synopsis!

spoogemcgee18
December 19th, 2005, 03:18 PM
2004 Furman-App State
App wins 30-29
Richie Williams goes 40-45

grizbeer
December 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM
2004 Quarter final against New Hampshire. First game under the lights at WA- Griz. Atmosphere was what made this game special.

Appstate03
December 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
App vs Furman 2002. Furman scores with 7 seconds left. Lamb goes for two.
I think we all know the rest of the story.

Cap'n Cat
December 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
2004 Quarter final against New Hampshire. First game under the lights at WA- Griz. Atmosphere was what made this game special.

Hey, I was there!!!

Mine.......................

Played in:
UNI @ YSU, 1984
UNI @ WIU, 1985. Always hated them bastages. ;)
EIU @ UNI, 1985, see above
GSU @ UNI, 1985

Witnessed:
SIU @ UNI, 2003 and 2005
EWU @ UNI, 2005
UNI @ UNH, 2005
UNI @ TXSU, 2005
UNI @ WKU, 2001
Idaho @ UNI, #1 v #2, 1992?
Missouri State @ UNI, 1990
EIU @ UNI, 1989
UNI @ NELA, 1987

blueballs
December 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM
For this GSU supporter, the Furman/GSU rivalry has consistently produced the very best 1-AA games that I have witnessed, and it seems like there is always something big at stake:

1985 NC game GSU by 2 (Tracy Ham, Frankie Johnson and "The Catch," 'nuff said, GSU's first NC)

1988 NC game FU by 2 (GSU's Raymond Gross fumbles inside FU's 10 with a minute left, FU wins its only NC)

1999 regular season game GSU by 3 (worst officiated game ever, GSU scores on the last play of the game to win despite 190+ yards of penalties, Greg Hill is the hero)

2000 regular season (Louis Ivory rushes for over 300 as FU slaughters eventual NC GSU by 35)

2001 regular season game (GSU wins at home, AP's # retired, #2 & #3 ranked teams for SoCon title, what an atmosphere!)

2001 national semi (FU wins on the strength of 2 second half GSU turnovers inside their own 20 and a 4th quarter clutch TD drive, the home & home playoff streak and the PJ/AP era ends)

2002 regular season game (Sir Paladin gets bucked, GSU rolls to 35-0 halftime lead)

2004 regular season game (two top 5 teams play for SoCon title, FU by 6 winning on a clutch late drive engineered by Ingle Martin)

2005 regular season game (FU is ranked #1, GSU wins by 3 on an 8 minute drive late, in honor of the 85 team, what an atmosphere!)

The App State/FU rivalry has been a dandy too, but it seems that the stakes have been higher with GSU/FU.

putter
December 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
1995 NC game against Marshall.... :hurray:

1996 Griz/Cat game. Cats score with just over a minute to play to take the lead. Brian Ah Yat throws a bomb and the Griz kick the wining FG. Broke the Cats hearts and kept the streak alive.

2000 NC game against Georgia Southern. Spotted the Eagles 20 points and then rallied to take a 23-20 lead. Then that darned guy named Peterson (a running back they had!) broke a long run to win it 27-25.

B&G
December 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Every Furman vs App game from 2001 to 2005. And ASU over UNI in the 2005 title game.

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM
1985 NC game, unfortunately on TV.

blackfordpu
December 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM
2004 - SHSU @ EWU - Watched on television unfortunately, but Kats rallied from 19 points down in the final quarter and won the game thanks to an amazing drive by Dustin Long, a blocked FG and lots of others who stepped up huge. Advanced to semifinals from there...

Beat me to it Terror, that game by far blows them all away! :nod:

WUTNDITWAA
December 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM
1994 Marshall/Appalachian game. 1999 game at Auburn, and the final two games of this season.

LeopardFan04
December 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
2000--Princeton at Lafayette, the Leopards win on a great catch in the corner of the endzone in the closing seconds

2002--Lehigh at Lafayette, the Leopards end the Mountain Hawks 7 year streak

2004--Lehigh at Lafayette, Leopards clinch first ever playoff berth, and another league title

2005--Lafayette at Lehigh, win in the final seconds, PL co-champs, another playoff bid

griz37
December 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Griz vs Sac St. in 2000. Griz trail 20-0 at the half. Griz rally to within 3. Sac leads w/about 2 minutes to go & only needs 1 1st down to win the game. Ricky Ray runs the options & pitches the ball right to Griz DB Damon Parker who races to the house for the game winning TD. I don't know if I have ever heard Wa. Griz goes as crazy as that.

AppAlum96
December 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
1994 ASU 24, Marshall 14.

ASU got out to an early lead, Marshall had cut it to 17-14 late and was driving, threatening to take the lead or tie, ASU intercepts and returns it for a TD close to the end of the game to seal it.

This game was the reason the breakaway goalposts were installed at ASU. :smiley_wi

OH! and see below, in my sig...

FlyBoy8
December 19th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Best Game I Attended:

11/15/03
No. 6 Delaware 51
No. 3 Massachusetts 45
Triple OT

The top two A-10 teams met at Delaware Stadium and played their hearts out. I'll never forget Jeff Krohn's last pass hitting the grass. This game came three weeks after one of the funnest games I've been to - UD over Navy at Navy's Homecoming with thousands of loud and proud Delaware fans in attendance. UD came back from an early 14-0 deficit to win 21-17. Best memory from that game - hearing the crowd roar while coming back from the bathroom, then realizing when I came out of the tunnel that it was the Delaware fans cheering a TD. I was floored, I really thought from the noise that Navy had scored.

If we hadn't won it all in 2003, I wonder if I'd still feel as good about those two games... :rotateh:

carney2
December 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Don't know if this is within the rules because the game predates the creation of I-AA and even predates the creation of many contributors to this site, but I nominate the 1961 Lehigh - Lafayette game which the book, Legends of Lehigh Lafayette, describes the fourth quarter as perhaps "the most exciting 15 minutes in THE Game's history."

Husky Alum
December 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM
1987 Yale-Harvard at the Bowl for the Ivy Title.

It was about 10 degrees (cold and windy), and it was an AMAZING game.

Freaking Stanley Edwards cost Yale the Ivy title with a clip on an interception by Jim Parsons.

1992 Northeastern-Youngstown

An average NU team beat the defending I-AA champs at Parsons.

I could list a bunch of Yale games from the late 1970s/early 1980s, but I don't think they were I-AA at the time.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
In no paticular order.

1970 Camellia Bowl NDSU vs Montana (First time I remember the Bison on TV)
2003 NDSU vs Montana
2004 NDSU vs Northwestern St
1985 NDSU vs South Dakota DII, best option pitch ever!

Hansel
December 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
In no paticular order.

1985 NDSU vs South Dakota DII, best option pitch ever!

The Pitch (http://www.bisonville.com/thepitch.html)

kardplayer
December 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
This is an easy one for me. Not only is it the most exciting I-AA game I've seen, its the most exciting game I've ever been to in any sport at any level - and I've been to a lot of games, including the Dan Marino "fake spike" game vs. the Jets and the Monday Night Miracle when the Jets came back with 4 TD's against the Dolphins a few years ago.

But I digress...

October 26, 1991, Holy Cross vs. Lehigh @ Goodman Stadium

As a sophomore, I was well versed in overindulging at pregame tailgates, and this Saturday was no different. I entered the game a few minutes after kickoff and passed out on the grassy knoll in the end zone. I woke up at halftime, and it was 7-7 - a "Ho-Hum" game if ever there was one.

But then came the second half and the craziest plays I've ever seen in a contest that was back and forth for 30 full minutes.

There was a long interception return by Holy Cross where as the QB tackled the defender, the defender flipped the ball straight up in the air to be caught by a different defender and brought to the house for a TD.

There was a "fumble-rooskie" 2 point conversion for the Engineers.

My favorite play came late - after Holy Cross had scored a TD to take the lead again, our star WR/KR Horace Hamm (a 1st Team All American that year) came up lame on the kickoff and "had to be" helped off the field. After the mandatory one play off, he limped back onto the field and out to his position. This wall clearly a ploy though, because as soon as the ball was snapped, he took off like the sprinter he was and toasted the had-to-be-astonished DB.

Alas, at the end, Lehigh fell short 43-42 (remember, the score was 7-7 at halftime), but this was, without a doubt, the most exciting game I've ever seen.

ngineer
December 19th, 2005, 09:46 PM
College: Lehigh beating Lafayette in double OT with Klingerman making one-handed catch in back of endzone as darkness descended. Lehigh trailed 30-14 heading into the fourth quarter. Rallied for two TD's and two 2-pt conversions to force OT. Win gave Lehigh it's second PL Championship.

High School: saw Boyertown (PA) play Pottstown in 1968 at Pottstown with 8,000+ overflowing crowd. Pottstown lead 20-0 with 9 minutes left in game. Boyertown rallied to score 26 straight points. After the first two TD's in the rally, Boyertown missed the PAT (this was before 2 pt. conversion was instituted), which meant BHS had to score twice more to win. Despite this hurdle, they still shut down PHS and scored, bringing the score to 20-19. Again force a three and out to get ball with 58 seconds left and went 65 yards to win on end around pass for TD. I literally broke my umbrella in half during the excitement. Boyertown, preseason second division of the old Ches-Mont League outside of Philadelphia, then went on the win the league title. The quarterback of that team has been the head coach at D-III Moravian College for the past 17 years.

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2005, 09:54 PM
MIKE BUCK ERA...MAINE BLACKBEARS....INVADED DELAWARE STADIUM...RANKED IN DUH TOP FIVE......DELAWARE WAS IN UH DOWN YEAR..SOMETHIN' LIKE 5-6..OR 6-5....BUCK HAD NO INTERCEPTIONS...COMIN' IN.......HIS FIRST PASS..WAS UH PICK......DELAWARE STADIUM WAS ON FIRE MAN........THE CROWD WAS CRAZY.....DOIN' THE WAVE ALL DAY.......HENS......BEAT 'EM..........AH THINK...DUH PHRASE.."THE BUCK STOPS HERE"...WAS INVENTED DAT SATURDAY!....JES' ONE O' MANY THRILLS.......AH'VE EXPERIENCED IN NEWARK!.......:rotateh::nod::rotateh:......BRAWK!

LeopardFan04
December 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
College: Lehigh beating Lafayette in double OT with Klingerman making one-handed catch in back of endzone as darkness descended. Lehigh trailed 30-14 heading into the fourth quarter. Rallied for two TD's and two 2-pt conversions to force OT. Win gave Lehigh it's second PL Championship.

High School: saw Boyertown (PA) play Pottstown in 1968 at Pottstown with 8,000+ overflowing crowd. Pottstown lead 20-0 with 9 minutes left in game. Boyertown rallied to score 26 straight points. After the first two TD's in the rally, Boyertown missed the PAT (this was before 2 pt. conversion was instituted), which meant BHS had to score twice more to win. Despite this hurdle, they still shut down PHS and scored, bringing the score to 20-19. Again force a three and out to get ball with 58 seconds left and went 65 yards to win on end around pass for TD. I literally broke my umbrella in half during the excitement. Boyertown, preseason second division of the old Ches-Mont League outside of Philadelphia, then went on the win the league title. The quarterback of that team has been the head coach at D-III Moravian College for the past 17 years.

Both of those are legendary...I was in jr. high for the 95 LC/LU game, and remember watching it on TV...still chose to go to Lafayette 5 years later... :)
Also, growing up in the Boyertown area, I've heard about that one before too... :hurray:

DuckDuckGriz
December 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
1995 Montana vs. Marshall -- Dave Dickenson converts a 4th and 8 to Mike Erhardt on the game winning drive -- eventual FG to give the Griz the title in Marshall's stadium.

1997 Griz-Cat -- Montana 27 Montana State 25

This was the greatest Brawl of all time. Just before halftime the Griz were going to run out the clock and head to the lockeroom. The Cats get a penalty and Coach Dennehy decides why not? Brian Ah Yat tosses up a Hail Mary and Raul Pacheco comes down with it in the endzone to give the Griz a very vital score and 21-7 halftime lead.

The Cats come back of course. MSU's Eric Kinneman scores on a short run with 22 seconds left to send Bobcat Stadium into a frenzy and the students and fans line up and get ready to storm the field for the end of the streak. Cats miss the two point conversion but they are still up 25-24. On the following kickoff, MSU's Geoff Grochelle kicks it out of bounds and the Griz get it at their own 35 with no time off the clock. First play -- Ah Yat almost slammed to the turf and the place is going nuts, MSU players even sharing flasks with fans in the stands (a celebration like this was definetly worthy) -- On the next play Ah Yat tosses a BOMB down the field in desparation and Griz WR Justin Olsen CATCHES it! Bobcat Stadium becomes a little erily quiet and after three timeouts (2 by MSU one by UM) -- Kris Heppner nails the game winning FG. Montanans watching on TV will never forgot "the cowboy on TV" -- when the cameras flashed through the stands a cowboy in a black hat appeared with flipping off the camera with both hands......Cats cried and layed on the field stunned in disbelief and Montana celebrated the miracle win.

2000 Montana 45, Idaho 38-- This game was back and forth. Griz D makes a huge 4th down stop and Jimmy Farris makes the game winning catch, ONE HANDED, with 19 seconds left. Huge because it was the first win over Idaho since they went I-A, first win for Joe Glenn, and start of a national championship run.

2000 Montana 25 Georgia Southern 27 -- The greatest I-AA national championship ever played. From the fake punt TD to the Son of the Run -- all in a monsoon. Enough said.

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 01:20 AM
The best game I saw in person was this year's match-up of SIU and UNI!

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 20th, 2005, 01:24 AM
3. SU vs JSU 99- SU brought 40,000 plus to Jackson's stadium. SU side was packed at 5:00 and the game started at 7:00. The look on Jackson's football team and band's face was priceless. xlolx xlolx xlolx Tailgaiting was unreal. This was the last season J-State had a decent team. This was the year JSU had 2 first round draft picks. SU won :D
2.SU vs MVSU 84(I think)-I was very young at the time but all I have to say is Jerry Rice and Willie Totten. They broke some kind of record on us. :nod: Half time SU was winning 45-28. Final score Mvsu 65 SU 45 :nonono2: xlolx
1. SU vs Alcorn 93- McNair is the best qb is have ever saw in person. I had the pleasure of seeing him for 4 years and what a treat. This was Pete Richardsons first season at SU and he brought respectability to our program. We always had plenty of talent but our coaches were xidiotx not worth a :twocents: . SU was playing for a conference championship which we had not won since the late sixty's :nonono2: . Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward, Warrick Dunn, Doug Williams, and many other NFL players were at this game to watch McNair. After the game Ward sad McNair was by far the best QB he had ever saw and that he believe McNair should win the heisman. Well we all know who won the heisman but what a game. THe SU student section was packed at 4:00 and the game started at 7:00. This was by far the most best game I have witnessed. Oh by the way SU won :D

TigerFan17
December 20th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Well I only have a short history, as I'm still a student, but it has to be this year's win over UD on homecoming.

Consider this...

It was a record crowd...shattering the old record by more than 2000.
It was homecoming.
Delaware was currently ranked #5 in the nation.
We won the game on a TD drive with a minute left via 3 plays...I still watch the highlights from the game every once in a while...its bliss.

:hurray:

UNH 40
December 20th, 2005, 06:55 AM
In the fall of 2000 i was a freshman at UNH and traveled to my first career game which happened to be at then #2 Delaware. UNH was trailing 31-3 with a 1:03 remaining in the third quarter we scored and recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff on the three and scored on the following play. went into the fourth quarter trailing 31-17 and made to comeback complete on a 75 yd TD pass to Randal Williams now of the Oakland Raiders it tied the game at 38-38 the game went into overtime we scored then Delaware scored but missed the extra point final score 45-44 in OT. It was the best game that I have ever witnessed in any sport at any level.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM
In the fall of 2000 i was a freshman at UNH and traveled to my first career game which happened to be at then #2 Delaware. UNH was trailing 31-3 with a 1:03 remaining in the third quarter we scored and recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff on the three and scored on the following play. went into the fourth quarter trailing 31-17 and made to comeback complete on a 75 yd TD pass to Randal Williams now of the Oakland Raiders it tied the game at 38-38 the game went into overtime we scored then Delaware scored but missed the extra point final score 45-44 in OT. It was the best game that I have ever witnessed in any sport at any level.

I remember that game well. :bang: :splat: :bawling:

AUCATAMOUNT
December 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Best game I ever saw on any level of competition was the 2004 APP/WCU Battle for the Old Mountain Jug. All the traditional talk about there not being a rivalry, App destroying us, and what not. Pretty much everyone though Western was done when it was 27-16 with 5:02 remaining, including the App fans who were shouting disparaging comments. Those were the greatest five minutes of my life.

WCU 30
APP 27

Pards Rule
December 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
The 1981 Lafayette-Lehigh game (10-3, LC), the 1995 double OT game (37-30, LU), and of course this year's game (23-19, LC) with a 37 yard TD pass with 38 seconds left on 4th & forget it! Interesting if anyone remembered this at the '95 game: When Lafayette was racking up points, after another TD, the kicker missed a PAT and I turned to my former roommate and said "I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us" Sure did!! Footnote to 95 game: Darkness was at the threshold (no way for a third OT in my opinion) and there are no lights at Goodman (or Fisher for that matter). Would the game have ended in a tie or would they have continued the next day?

kalm
December 20th, 2005, 09:07 AM
2002 EWU VS. Griz - When EWU broke the steak. The last time it was played at Albi - which is a dump but the Griz like it cause they can draw as many fans as Eastern. Great atmosphere, cold as hell tailgate with a few Griz fans, great outcome.

2005 EWU win at Washington Grizzly Stadium. I'd been chirping for years how impressive WGS was, and talked a bunch of friends into going. They witnessed the South Bend of 1-AA in all it's raucous glory and then go absolutely quiet, except for the Eagle players serenading the several hundred loyals with the school fight song after the game.

We tailgated right in the midst of the Griz nation, kept our gear on and partied late in downtown Missoula and - except for one prick who shouldered me as he was leaving the game early - received no flack from the Griz faithful. Great venue, classy fans.

Killsback
December 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
The turnaround of the Saluki Football program was beating Western Illinois 54-52 in 2002. It was the first victory over WIU since 1983 and it convinced that young group of players that Coach Kill knew the way...The Salukis finished 4-8 that year and then went 10-2, 10-2 and 9-4 with three straight Gateway Conference titles and three straight playoff appearances.

Southern drove the length of the field in 1:16 seconds and won the game on the very last play of the game when Joel Sambursky hit Brandon Robinson in the end zone from 4 yards out. The rest as they say is history!!

Catsfan
December 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM
By far the best games I ever attended and watched were the Nova/Delaware matchups in '98, '99, and '02.

SuperEagle
December 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM
The GSU/Furman National Title game in 85 was incredible. Also the 1989 National Championship between GSU/Stephen F. Austin was a great one. Eagles win by 3 on last minute FG before 25k (Paulson capacity is 18k)

TypicalTribe
December 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
1981 Princeton/Yale.

Yale was undefeated and had beaten Princeton 14 straight times heading into that game. Princeton came into the game at 3-5, I believe, and was given very little chance to break the streak. No one was surprised when Yale jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the 1st quarter, but they were stunned when Princeton came back to tie the game before halftime. Yale jumped out to a 31-21 advantage in the 2nd half, but Princeton cut it to 31-28 and then got the ball back inside its own 20 with less than 3 minutes to play. After converting 2 4th downs along the way, the Tigers found themselves at the Yale 5 with 10 seconds remaining. Bob Holly, who went 36-57 for an Ivy League record 501 yards (plus 4 TDs), dropped back and then QB sneaked into the end zone, leading to most of the stadium rushing the field, which was no small matter, considering there were 40-45k in attendance.

I've seen some other great games since then, but it was still the most improbable, exciting game from start to finish I've ever witnessed.

MR. CHICKEN
December 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Well I only have a short history, as I'm still a student, but it has to be this year's win over UD on homecoming.

Consider this...

It was homecoming.
We won the game on a TD drive with a minute left via 3 plays...I still watch the highlights from the game every once in a while...its bliss.

TIGERTAIL.......THKX...FO' SHARIN'!........:bawling::bawling::bawling:....... .....AWK!

Seven Would Be Nice
December 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
well i may not be as "seasoned" as some of the other posters around here.. xlolx but i would have to say the greatest game ive seen would have to be the GSU/FU game this past season.. back and forth the whole game, had the game winning touchdown called back so we could score again and leave less time on the clock. game ended with an interception to keep FU out of FG range to tie the game. incredible.

and oh yes.. i stormed the field. :nod: :nod:

Go...gate
December 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I'm probably overly seasoned compare to most of my fellow posters, but i've seen a lot of games live during my life, so here goes...

1-A

1973 Sugar Bowl, Notre Dame 24, Alabama 23 (watched on TV with my old man, but I want to throw it in anyway) - both programs at their zenith and every play was intense. Nobody ever backed off.

1976 Rutgers 17, Colgate 9 - Thanksgiving night at NJ Meadowlands - Rutgers came from behind with a Mike Fisher touchdown run and held off a heroic two-minute drill led by Colgate's Bob Relph and Keith Polito to cap an undefeated season against a very good Red Raider team.

1981 Princeton 35, Yale 31 - well described by a previous poster. As good as Bob Holly was, Derek Graham of Princeton was just as good - he set a receiving record which I believe still stands that day at old Palmer Stadium.

1-AA

1982 Colgate 21, Holy Cross 17 - both teams in top 5 of 1-AA poll for this October game televised by ABC from Hamilton. A late 30-yard TD pass from Steve Calabria to Joe Kozak won it for Colgate against the first of the great HC teams coached by Rick Carter and Mark Duffner, who would dominate 1-AA football for a full decade.

1991 Holy Cross 43, Lehigh 42 - again, well-described by a previous poster.

1996 Bucknell 28, Colgate 27 (OT) - last year of PL before play-off participation was again allowed. Great win by Bucknell in Lewisburg for their only Patriot League Championship.

1998, Navy 42, Colgate 35 - a wild shoot-out at Annapolis. Navy could not stop Ryan Vena and Colgate could not stop Brian Broadwater. Navy had the ball last. Enough said.

2003, Colgate 28, Western Illiinois 27 - just an epic game in a blizzard in Hamilton. Risked my life driving there and going home and would not have missed it for the world!

TypicalTribe
December 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
2003, Colgate 28, Western Illiinois 27 - just an epic game in a blizzard in Hamilton. Risked my life driving there and going home and would not have missed it for the world!

Actually had tickets to that game but couldn't get out of NYC after the blizzard. Still can't believe I missed it. Just one of those surreal sporting events that had to be seen to be believed.

Blue Hen Nation
December 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM
October 25, 2003
Delaware 21 Navy 17

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Dr. Strangelove
December 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
The 2005 season-opener between JSU and Furman will live with me for a long time. I had so much fun, despite the outcome. I sat behind two JSU grads from Athens, Georgia and their grown son, and the father told me at one point this was the first time in 20 years he had been back to Paul Snow Stadium for a game. By the fourth quarter, we were high-fiving each other like we were old friends.

Had Furman not gotten that last play, or if Martin's pass had been incomplete, I would have broken down in tears. That's how emotionally invested I was in the game. I still nearly cried, because of the pride I felt in my alma mater, playing a hell of an opponent that close for so long.

Maroon&White
December 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Best Game I Attended:

11/15/03
No. 6 Delaware 51
No. 3 Massachusetts 45
Triple OT

The top two A-10 teams met at Delaware Stadium and played their hearts out. I'll never forget Jeff Krohn's last pass hitting the grass.

I'll never forget the punt bouncing off of Dominque Stewart's head. :bang: I don't think he was ever used as a punt returner again. That was a great game though.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 12:48 PM
The 1981 Lafayette-Lehigh game (10-3, LC), the 1995 double OT game (37-30, LU), and of course this year's game (23-19, LC) with a 37 yard TD pass with 38 seconds left on 4th & forget it! Interesting if anyone remembered this at the '95 game: When Lafayette was racking up points, after another TD, the kicker missed a PAT and I turned to my former roommate and said "I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us" Sure did!! Footnote to 95 game: Darkness was at the threshold (no way for a third OT in my opinion) and there are no lights at Goodman (or Fisher for that matter). Would the game have ended in a tie or would they have continued the next day?

I've never heard the answer to that question, though I would think the NCAA rule book would address the situation. Anyone know the answer?

windwalker
December 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
For our short history, it has to be the comeback win against JMU this year. Down late in the 4th, and coming back with 2 TDs to win.

HENJOHN
December 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
A couple for me that come to mind:

1993 Delaware- Montana Playoff game in 5 Degree weather with
Hens winning 49-48 with some late 4 Qtr dramatics.

2003 Delaware- UMASS late season game for 1st place with Hens
winning in Triple OT 51-45

2003 Delaware-Navy: Underdog Hens ruin I-A Navy's homecoming
with a hearstopping 21-17 win before 34,000 people.

CoastalFan2005
December 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'll admit that I'm a pretty underpriviledged I-AA fan, and I haven't gotten to see very many games outside of CCU. That said, my favorite CCU games are:

2003: vs. Newberry. CCU's first football game ever; Tyler Thigpen marches the Chants 97 yards down the field for the game winning score, winning 21-14.

2004: vs. Charleston Southern. The last game of the '04 season; in this game, CCU claimed its first outright conference championship in its second year of play, defeating the Bucs 56-28. The Chants finished this season 10-1.

2005: vs. JMU. "The Catch" that was #1 on SportsCenter, the thrilling victory...I haven't witnessed (in person) a greater football game than this. CCU won 31-27.

buckp
December 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
December 7, 2002....a great day in Cowboy history!

The Cowboys come back from being down 0 to 17 late in the third quarter to pull out a win against the mighty Griz - 24 to 20....:eek:

"I have never in my life as a Cowboy heard the McNeese fans stand up and yell in unison as they did".... :nod:

colonel84
December 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Too many to count - - - From the early days of IAA:

1980 - NC game - loss to Boise late in the game
1981 NC game v. Idaho State - unfortunately EKU lost

EKU v. Murray State (1982) - first night game at EKU, televised by TBS (probably the first IAA game televised by TBS - in the 4th quarter EKU converts several 4th downs to score and ultimately win the game.

81 or 82 playoff game v. Boise State (at Boise) EKU wins but the stadium atmosphere was great.

82 championship vs. Delaware - EKU wins to go 13-0

All of the games vs. Marshall (especially when EKU won) - their fans have to be the worst in football.

Playoff game vs. GA Southern in late 80's - EKU lost but gave GSU all they could handle - great atmosphere

Beating Louisville (IA) who was coached by Howard Schnellenberger after he made comments to the effect that Louisville would easily win

DE92
December 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Best Game I Attended:

11/15/03
No. 6 Delaware 51
No. 3 Massachusetts 45
Triple OT

The top two A-10 teams met at Delaware Stadium and played their hearts out. I'll never forget Jeff Krohn's last pass hitting the grass. This game came three weeks after one of the funnest games I've been to - UD over Navy at Navy's Homecoming with thousands of loud and proud Delaware fans in attendance. UD came back from an early 14-0 deficit to win 21-17. Best memory from that game - hearing the crowd roar while coming back from the bathroom, then realizing when I came out of the tunnel that it was the Delaware fans cheering a TD. I was floored, I really thought from the noise that Navy had scored.

If we hadn't won it all in 2003, I wonder if I'd still feel as good about those two games... :rotateh:

These two games are also my personal favorites that I attended in person.

Granite
December 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
September 11, 2004 - UNH (35) at Rutgers (24).

Rutgers came into that game having beaten Michigan State (I believe) in their opener, and their fans were clearly thinking that UNH would be an easy win in their quest for (finally) bowl eligibility. The RU fans were actually chanting "high school athletes" as UNH took the field prior to the game (guess they forgot their loss to Villanova the year before).

Remember, at this point we weren't quite sure what UNH had. We opened up with a "W" over Delaware on the road (by 3), but no one predicted that Ricky would throw 5 touchdown passes and rack up over 350 yards in the air against Rutgers. Ball also had a huge game, previewing what has turned into a dynamic QB-WR combo.

I was sitting in the UNH section (we had a decent contingent there that night) with a couple of buddies who graduated from Rutgers. Not only did they witness Rutgers losing to a I-AA team, they had to endure it in their home stadium while surrounded by Wildcats fans. The only downer was that their depression over the loss led to a LOUSY night at the bars after the game. :)

McNeese72
December 20th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Best McNeese games that I have seen. In chronological order (and the ones that I can remember off the top of my head).

The 1976 McNeese-USL game that we won 20-19 in the last few minutes to put us in the first ever Independence Bowl. This game also the attendance record for Cowboy Stadium at 27,500.

The 1976 Independence Bowl win over Tulsa by a depleted McNeese team (fifth year seniors weren't allowed to play in bowls back then).

The 1997 Quarterfinal win over Montana. The 1997 Semifinal win over Delaware (saw it on TV an not in person).

The 2002 Quarterfinal win over Montana. The 2002 Semifinal win over Villanova.

I'm sure there are some others that I'm overlooking right now.

Oh yeah, the win in 2002 over I-A ULM and our old coach, Coach Bobby Keasler, was memorable. Not because we won (that wasn't a big acheivement). What was memorable was the large McNeese crowd that traveled to Monroe chanting "I-AA, I-AA, I-AA" as the time ran out. :D

Doc

SunCoastBlueHen
December 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM
The 1997 Semifinal win over Delaware (saw it on TV an not in person).

I saw it in person and it was an agonizing loss for the Hens. On the last drive of the game, Mcneese was stopped on fourth down, but were aided by their own penalty (I think it was illegal formation or something else that was pre-snap and couldn't be refused). They then converted on fourth down and scored to win the game. How often is a team actually win a game because of their own penalty?

By the way, this thread has brought up a few bad memories. :mad:

D1B
December 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Played in:
1984 UNI - WIU
1984 UNI - YSU
1985 UNI - WIU
1985 UNI - EIU
1985 UNI - GSU
1985 UNI - EWU
1987 UNI - WIU * Good story here!
1987 UNI - Ark St.
1987 UNI - YSU
1987 UNI - McNeese
1987 UNI - NELA

Saw
2005 UNI - SIU
2005 UNI - TSU

Go...gate
December 20th, 2005, 06:55 PM
"By the way, this thread has brought up a few bad memories. :mad:"

How well I understand:

November '77 - Delaware 21, Colgate 3 (ruined an undefeated season)

December '82 - Delaware 20, Colgate 13 (NCAA 1-AA Quaterfinal)

Both were good, but not great, games.

kardplayer
December 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM
"By the way, this thread has brought up a few bad memories. :mad:"

How well I understand:

November '77 - Delaware 21, Colgate 3 (ruined an undefeated season)

December '82 - Delaware 20, Colgate 13 (NCAA 1-AA Quaterfinal)

Both were good, but not great, games.

Speaking of bad memories, didn't you forget one far more recent Delaware - Colgate game??? :smiley_wi

blukeys
December 20th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Speaking of bad memories, didn't you forget one far more recent Delaware - Colgate game??? :smiley_wi

Now that was just CRUEL!!!!!! :rolleyes:

kardplayer
December 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Now that was just CRUEL!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist. Chalk it up to intra-league jealousy...

Lehigh Lover
December 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I'm not very seasoned either, but here are a few of my greatest:

2000- Lehigh 37, Western Illinois 7 I-AA Playoffs First Round

Western Illinois boasted a ton of Division I-A transfers, including a QB from Cal and a RB from Wisconsin. The Leathernecks took the field acting like they were gonna roll over little Lehigh. Well, Lehigh used that to fire their team up in tune to a 37-7 stomping of WIU. I unfortunately couldn't attend this game but watched it on TV. Lehigh outgained Western Illinois 534-194 in total offense (I do my research).

2001- Lehigh 27, Hofstra 24 OT I-AA Playoffs First Round

This was THE GAME for me as a Lehigh fan, the greatest one I have ever attended and witnessed. Lehigh down 24-10, Hofstra controlling the game late in the third quarter, and then Lehigh puts in backup QB Luke Cianello, who gets them within 7. But then, Hofstra looked to run out the clock, but with just over 2 minutes to go, Hofstra RB Trevor Dimmie fumbled on a pitch, and Cianello preceded to drive Lehigh 92 yards on 14 plays to tie the game at 24 with 19 seconds remaining. Lehigh won in OT on a Brian Kelley FG, sending Goodman into pandemonium. We stormed the field, dislodged one of the goalposts, and toilet-papered the field. I didn't want to leave the stadium that day.

2002- Lehigh 31, Princeton 24

This was a gem in an otherwise forgettable season (Lehigh lost 4 games and missed the playoffs). Down 24-7 at the end of the third quarter, Lehigh's sleeping giant awakens and scores 24 unanswered points to win 31-24.

2002- Lehigh 36, Harvard 35

In a season full of comeback attempts, this is another one that went the Mountain Hawks' way. Down 35-21 to start the 4th quarter against QB Ryan Fitzpatrick's Crimson (current Rams starting QB), Lehigh stormed back and took their only lead of the game with 48 seconds left on a Jermaine Pugh TD, which would turn out to be the final score of 36-35.

2005- Lehigh 50, Colgate 34

In a game that our traveling fan crew froze our asses off to see, Lehigh and Colgate engaged in one of the most exciting first halves of football I have ever witnessed. Both teams traded blows and ended up tied 27-27 at the half. Then, Lehigh's D took over in the second half, and with Lehigh up 36-34, Lehigh CB Andrew Nelson made the greatest interception I've ever seen, lunging in the air to bat down the ball and somehow scooping the ball into his lap in midair as his arms flailed down at the ball and then running it in for a TD to put Lehigh up 43-34, a lead they'd never relinquish. Lehigh became the first team to ever score 50 on the Raiders in Hamilton.

CatFan22
December 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Cat/Griz 2003. No question.

McNeese75
December 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM
1995 blowout wins over Youngstown St, Delaware and a Daunte Culpepper led Central Florida Team

1997 Playoff win against Montana, Western Illinois and of course the Blue Hens

2002 Playoff wins over Montana and Montana State. :hurray:

th0m
December 21st, 2005, 04:37 AM
'04 semi against W&M
'04 final against Montana

Actually, pretty much all of our playoff games were exciting, although the first two (Lehigh and Furman) were quite low scoring. I remember from the W&M game when we were up 21-0 and W&M had a 28-0 run or somth to lead 28-21. I was like WTF is going on here.

UNH 40
December 21st, 2005, 06:47 AM

Rutgers came into that game having beaten Michigan State (I believe) in their opener, and their fans were clearly thinking that UNH would be an easy win in their quest for (finally) bowl eligibility. The RU fans were actually chanting "high school athletes" as UNH took the field prior to the game (guess they forgot their loss to Villanova the year before).

Remember, at this point we weren't quite sure what UNH had. We opened up with a "W" over Delaware on the road (by 3), but no one predicted that Ricky would throw 5 touchdown passes and rack up over 350 yards in the air against Rutgers. Ball also had a huge game, previewing what has turned into a dynamic QB-WR combo.

I was sitting in the UNH section (we had a decent contingent there that night) with a couple of buddies who graduated from Rutgers. Not only did they witness Rutgers losing to a I-AA team, they had to endure it in their home stadium while surrounded by Wildcats fans. The only downer was that their depression over the loss led to a LOUSY night at the bars after the game. :)

That was the best and most thrilling win that i have ever been a part of as an athlete at UNH. I will never forget running over to the UNH fans and celebrating while the fire works display that rutgers put on in anticipation of a win. Great Post.

SU Jag
December 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Watched: 1998 Magic City Classic-Alabama A&M jumps out to a 28-0 lead over Bama State in A&Ms first season in the SWAC. ASU scores 28 4th quarter points to take the game to OT. ASU wins in 34-28 and 60,000 people were stunned! :nod:

1999 Southern vs Jackson State(This was the game the made me choose Southern over the rest of the schools that was recruiting me) It was a great football atmosphere, their were over 65,000 people around Memorial Stadium in Jackson. SU comes out on top and sets up a rematch in the 99 SWAC title game!

1999- SWAC Championship Game-SU vs JSU-Game of the year in the SWAC and probably game of the year in all of D-1AA football. Birmingham was painted either Blue, red, and white or blue and gold. SU wins a tough one and sets up a Heritage Bowl match-up against Hampton.

More to Come.............................................. ..........................

grizband
December 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
Cat/Griz 2003. No question.
Even more so than 2002? (2003 was a better game, but 2002 was the first time in 17 years)

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2005, 10:12 AM
The only time UD & Montana ever matched up, in the playoffs, UD wins 49-48 on a missed 4th quarter PAT.

The '03 UD/UMass 3OT game was a classic.

I think it was the 2000 UD/'Nova game with Westbrook still there when UD came from way down to beat the Cats like 59-42 or so...

Go...gate
December 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Delaware was a much better team in '03, so it's hard to get too upset. But Colgate was better in 1977 and on a par with UD in 1982, which made both those losses terribly disappointing. Bottom line is, we have NEVER beaten Delaware. It must be a curse!!! :eek:

Ivytalk
December 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Harvard-Yale 1974, 1975, 1999 and 2005

Harvard-Penn 2001

Grande Rosso
December 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM
WKU's run in the 2002 Playoffs, beating the #3, #2 and #1 ranked/seeded teams ON THE ROAD!:

Quarterfinals (12/7):
Western Ky. 31, Western Ill. 28 (WIU's Mike Scifres missed a 60 yd FG attempt as time expired, can you say sledgehammer?)

Semifinals (12/14):
Western Ky. 31, Ga. Southern 28 (Casey Rooney's falling out of bounds catch on the 2 yd line, then Jason Michaels keeper for the go-ahead score. GSU missed a FG as time expired))

Championship (12/20):
Western Ky. 34, McNeese St. 14 (revenge!)

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
How did I forget the 2003 UD/Navy game!!

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM

Consider this...

It was homecoming.

10 years from now that will still be your favorite :boring:

MACHIAVELLI
December 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
1. Grambling vs Alcorn in Grambling 1994. Steve McNairs senior season he passed for 534 yards and 6 td's. Grambling beat alcorn 62-56. Our QB Kendrick Nord threw 7 TD's that game. I still have the game ticket. And I was able to get the highlight video of the game.

2. Grambling vs Portland 2001. Grambling down 23-29 with 57 seconds left to go in the game. The drive starts on the Grambling 25 yard line. With 4 seconds left to go in the game Grambling scored on a bootleg by current Baltimore Ravens wide receiver, then Grambling QB Randy "Showime" Hymes. Randy scores and ties the game the band and team storms the field. A penalty is called on Grambling for unsportsmanslike conduct. With no time left on the clock and the score tied 29-29 and the ball on the 18 yard line freshman kicker Brian Morgan steps up and nails the extra point for the ICON/Grambling win 30-29. 10 plays, 75 yards, TOP 00:57. All of the 16,171 (one of the largest crowds ever in PGE park) stayed to watch the World Famed Grambling Marching Band perform.

3. Jackson-58 vs Alabama st.-61 on Jackson St. Homecoming 2001.

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM
I saw it in person and it was an agonizing loss for the Hens. On the last drive of the game, Mcneese was stopped on fourth down, but were aided by their own penalty (I think it was illegal formation or something else that was pre-snap and couldn't be refused). They then converted on fourth down and scored to win the game. How often is a team actually win a game because of their own penalty?

By the way, this thread has brought up a few bad memories. :mad:

Ditto, the 4th down pass that was completed after the penalty went THROUGH the crossed arms of the Delaware defender waa waa (# 20 Banks). That play lives in infamy to this day :bang:

BTW, that may have been the best blue hen team I've seen, including the 03 squad.

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM

That game cost us the seeding which should have resulted in a NC :spank:

SunCoastBlueHen
December 21st, 2005, 01:17 PM
BTW, that may have been the best blue hen team I've seen, including the 03 squad.

Didn't we loose to 'Nova at home that year? The '97 team was good, but won two closely contested games (Hofstra and GSU?) before meeting McNeese in the Semis. The '03 team just dominated.

UNH 40
December 21st, 2005, 01:22 PM
That game cost us the seeding which should have resulted in a NC :spank:

After that game we were set up to make the playoffs with an eight and three season with only a bad Gardner Webb team, and a lackluster Umaine team. We ended up losing to gardner webb and then got pounded by maine by like 40 points missed the playoffs leading to three consecutive bad seasons.

Mr. Tiger
December 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
1984 -- Alcorn State vs Mississippi Valley State. Both teams were undefeated and ranked in the Division I-AA polls. Mississippi Valley State had Jerry Rice and QB Willie Totten, both seniors. Alcorn State had one of the best defenses on Division I-AA. The game was moved to Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson. It was played in front of the largest crowd to attend a college football game in Mississippi history -- over 65,000 jammed packed. Most were expecting Rice and Totten to shine but Alcorn State beat Valley 42-28 using good defense and a great running game to control the action. Alcorn State became the first SWAC team to finish the season ranked No. 1 in the Division I-AA poll.

EagleCrusade
December 21st, 2005, 02:32 PM
1985 GS @ UNI
1985 GS vs Furman National Championship

1989 GS vs SFA NC
1999 GS @ Oregon State

2000 GS vs Montana NC
2001 GS vs Furman

2002 Samford vs TTU (what, it was a good game!)
2002 GS vs WKU (top 3 best game...stupid coach shover shoulda been benched)

2004 GS @ FU
2005 GS vs FU

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 21st, 2005, 09:46 PM
3. SU vs JSU 99- SU brought 40,000 plus to Jackson's stadium. SU side was packed at 5:00 and the game started at 7:00. The look on Jackson's football team and band's face was priceless. xlolx xlolx xlolx Tailgaiting was unreal. This was the last season J-State had a decent team. This was the year JSU had 2 first round draft picks. SU won :D
2.SU vs MVSU 84(I think)-I was very young at the time but all I have to say is Jerry Rice and Willie Totten. They broke some kind of record on us. :nod: Half time SU was winning 45-28. Final score Mvsu 65 SU 45 :nonono2: xlolx
1. SU vs Alcorn 93- McNair is the best qb is have ever saw in person. I had the pleasure of seeing him for 4 years and what a treat. This was Pete Richardsons first season at SU and he brought respectability to our program. We always had plenty of talent but our coaches were xidiotx not worth a :twocents: . SU was playing for a conference championship which we had not won since the late sixty's :nonono2: . Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward, Warrick Dunn, Doug Williams, and many other NFL players were at this game to watch McNair. After the game Ward sad McNair was by far the best QB he had ever saw and that he believe McNair should win the heisman. Well we all know who won the heisman but what a game. THe SU student section was packed at 4:00 and the game started at 7:00. This was by far the most best game I have witnessed. Oh by the way SU won :D
How could I forget.
SU vs Grambling(Bayou Classic 99)-SU and Gram entered the game with 1 loss. THe winner of this game was to represent the western division in the first SWAC championship game. SU starting qb had been injured midway thru the 3rd quarter. Gram was leading 35-7 late in the 3rd quarter. Instead of taking the FG Gram went for it on 4th down and Scotty Anderson(former NFL player) dropped a wide-open TD. SU back up QB ignited our offense and we scored every time we touched the ball the remainder of the game. Our defense forced 4 turnovers on 5 plays. SU went on to win 42-35 I think.

GAD
December 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
The 99 Bayou Classic, Grambling went into the locker room at halftime with a 31-10 lead Southern starting qb Troy Williams got hurt in the 3rd quarter in came backup qb Terrance Levy and he then lead the Jags to a 37-31 victory

I left that game tired and hoarse

Many said when the Jaguar Nation started the "defense" chant that was one of the loudest crowds in Superdome history

CatFan22
December 21st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Even more so than 2002? (2003 was a better game, but 2002 was the first time in 17 years)

I just picked it because it was such a good game and the fact I attended that one. I agree 2002 was sweet, but being there for the 2003 game was unmatched.

oldsouthernman
December 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
Chattanooga upsetting #1 Marshall in 1993.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 21st, 2005, 10:31 PM

I was sitting in the UNH section (we had a decent contingent there that night) with a couple of buddies who graduated from Rutgers. Not only did they witness Rutgers losing to a I-AA team, they had to endure it in their home stadium while surrounded by Wildcats fans. The only downer was that their depression over the loss led to a LOUSY night at the bars after the game.

That was the best and most thrilling win that i have ever been a part of as an athlete at UNH. I will never forget running over to the UNH fans and celebrating while the fire works display that rutgers put on in anticipation of a win. Great Post.

I've been thinking about this for more than a day now and keep telling myself that the playoff win at Georgia Southern is the best game I ever saw. I mean it was a playoff game, it was GSU's first loss in the opening round of the playoffs and it was in Statesboro. Going from on the verge of being blown out to taking over the game was pretty special. Maybe because of the nasty weather or because there weren't many Wildcat Fans present sharing it or because there were far fewer fans in attendance than at Rutgers, that I have to give the Rutgers game a tie.

I had absolutely no expectations going into the Rutgers game and was really socializing with the six other people in our crew. I mean Rutgers did beat Michigan State the week before!! But when we scored early in the 2nd half to trail 24-21, I got serious real quick realizing that we definitely had a football game brewing! And there really was a very sizeable UNH crowd at the game along with the band. The entire team coming over to celebrate with the crowd is one of those special moments that will never be erased from the memory banks.

I hate having to choose between the two games! I've always told anyone who's asked (and a few who haven't!! xlolx ) that these games were the best UNH sports experiences of my life. And I thought the win at the Tub the week before Rutgers was going to be the season's highlight!

FWIW, the best UNH games I missed were the comeback game vs. Delaware mentioned above as well as that OT thriller vs. BU in the 90's (52-51 with another missed PAT in OT IIRC).

SU Jag
December 22nd, 2005, 09:04 AM
The 99 Bayou Classic, Grambling went into the locker room at halftime with a 31-10 lead Southern starting qb Troy Williams got hurt in the 3rd quarter in came backup qb Terrance Levy and he then lead the Jags to a 37-31 victory

I left that game tired and hoarse

Many said when the Jaguar Nation started the "defense" chant that was one of the loudest crowds in Superdome history

O'yes! That was my senior year in high school! I remember that game like it was yesterday. Defense Jags Defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Husky Alum
December 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Didn't we loose to 'Nova at home that year? The '97 team was good, but won two closely contested games (Hofstra and GSU?) before meeting McNeese in the Semis. The '03 team just dominated.

Except when you played Northeastern. ;)

SunCoastBlueHen
December 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Except when you played Northeastern. ;)

True. True. The Huskies flat out beat the Hens in their only loss of the season. Parson's has always been tough on the Blue Chickens.

Bulldog87
December 23rd, 2005, 06:02 AM
SCSU 26-Tenn St.25 in OT 1st round of the 81 playoffs. SCSU 21-FAMU 19 1982.SCSU 30-Southern23 1991. Painfully Southern 19-SCSU 18 1992. More pain dropped SCSU pass from the 15-20yard line in the end zone final second loss to Furman 26-21 1994. SCSU 31- Grambling 27 Heritage Bowl 1994.SCSU 27-Furman 21 1995. SCSU 58-NC A&T 52 a few OT's 1993. SCSU 28-A&T 27 1995. SCSU 34-Tenn ST.28 last second 80 yard int return for TD 1997. Hearbreaking loss Southern 34-SCSU 28 97 Heritage Bowl. CCU puts a dagger in my Bulldogs heart 24-23 on a 4th down TD pass in the final seconds 2005.

KJ Eagle
December 23rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
I would have to top my list with the 3 NC games that I have been to: 1989, 1999, 2000. (The worst would have to be the 1998 NC game where we "fumbled" the championship to UMass about 7 times).

I would also add the 1999 rematch with UMass in the 'Boro where AP ran for like 300+ yards while also fighting walking pneumonia.

GSU/Furman games are always a great game, too.

NSUDemon98
December 26th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Alright guys its the off-season so its time reflect on this past season and also seasons past. Tell the folks here at AGS some of the pest D-1AA games that you've ever seen or played in! :coach:

In no particular order, during my years in the NSU Demon Band these are some of the greatest games I have personally attended:

1. NSU vs TCU[2001]...NSU gets the upset in OT with a blocked punt
2. NSU vs UL-L[1998 & 2000]...NSU wins late in the game in both for the "upset". In 1998 we win with a FG with 0:03 seconds left and in 2000 we won with a fade away pass into the endzone with 0:05 seconds left.
3. NSU vs. McNeese[1998]...McNeese came into the game ranked in the top 5
4. NSU vs. Troy St[2000]...Troy St. came in ranked in the top 10 and with 2:00 left Troy St. had the ball 1st and goal at the NSU 2 yd line and the Purple Swarm came up big time with 4!!!! Goalline stands to win the game.
5. NSU vs. McNeese[2000]...once again the Cowboys come into Turpin Stadium highly ranked and another great game against the Cowboys with the goalpost coming down and being put INTO THE STANDS next to the MSU Band while they were playing.[kindy tacky I know].

Some of the McNeese guys can probably give a little more detail on the 1998 and 2000 Demons-Cowboys games.