PDA

View Full Version : Question for Griz Fans

appstate38
November 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Seeing how the Griz needed a late FG to beat a winless team do you feel like the Griz had an off game or is it something more serious that should concern you later on.... The reason I ask is that we have struggled in some games but found a way to win, yet some of our fans tend to believe we are in some sort of trouble when it comes time for the playoffs.

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Seeing how the Griz needed a late FG to beat a winless team do you feel like the Griz had an off game or is it something more serious that should concern you later on.... The reason I ask is that we have struggled in some games but found a way to win, yet some of our fans tend to believe we are in some sort of trouble when it comes time for the playoffs.

Yes.

Bam
November 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
How was the weather? Did it play a factor?

Silenoz
November 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Could we lose in the first round at home? Yes

Could we win the title game by 20+? Yes

I know we'd all feel better by locking up home field throughout

uofmman1122
November 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM
We pretty much dominated ISU statistically, although not nearly as much as we should have, but we gave it away in so many situations.

To put it bluntly:

The team that beat Weber State two weeks ago has a good chance of winning an NC.

The team that played last week would probably lose in the first round.

Talent-wise we're as good or better than any team in FCS, but we have to put it together, and we did not against ISU.

However, if teams have to play us and expect that our performance at ISU was the best we have and we do play our best, then they are going to lose.

Badly.

gbhmt
November 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Our biggest weakness is our D line, so when it comes to pressure on the QB, it falls on our LB crew. We have a great LB crew, but they don't always get to the QB when they blitz. Hence our bad pass D but great run D. On offense, when we get the ball to our stars, we're as good as anyone. Special teams speaks for itself. I think we should put Roper in at quarterback for a little while also. The biggest thing missing from the ISU game, though, was our All-American corner Trumaine Johnson. He's seriously the best corner I've seen in years and can lock down anyone you put him on. Unfortunately he's been fighting injuries and did not play against ISU.

So when we're healthy, getting pressure on the QB, getting the ball to our playmakers, and avoiding turnovers, I think we're the best team around. Take away some of those things and bad things can very well happen.

putter
November 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
The Griz:

1) Had 492 yards of offense - 12 points
2) had 12 penalties for 129 yards (one took away a TD)
3) 1 INT & 4 fumbles - 2 lost including one inside the 5 yard line

That there folks is a recipe to lose to a 0-9 team.. The Griz had the worst off day I have seen in years and I don't know if they were overlooking ISU or just drained from the big game against Weber. Either way that was not the normal Griz team that played on concrete on Sat. I expect a much better performance against UNC the Saturday.

Ronbo
November 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
The Griz:

2) had 12 penalties for 129 yards (one took away a TD)
3) 4 fumbles - 2 lost including one inside the 5 yard line

That there folks is a recipe to lose to a 0-9 team.. The Griz had the worst off day I have seen in years and I don't know if they were overlooking ISU or just drained from the big game against Weber. Either way that was not the normal Griz team that played on concrete on Sat. I expect a much better performance against UNC the Saturday.

Add to those some seriously bad coaching decisions and an uninspired team that thought they could go into ISU with a 50% effort and win on cruise control. Overlooking ISU by the Coaches and players. An understatement.

CrunchGriz
November 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The Griz:

2) had 12 penalties for 129 yards (two took away TDs - Mariani's punt return and the Phaler catch at the end of the game)
3) 4 fumbles - 2 lost including one inside the 5 yard line

Fixed it for ya.

Bronco
November 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Game made sense to me

The team beat the game circled on the schedule in a blowout the week before.
Everyone all week are saying how great you are.
Everyone all week were saying how bad ISU was
Long Bus trip
Bad field...small crowd
The team didn't run out fired up to play...uderstandable
Jared Allen whipping the ISU team to a frenzy before the game
Bad coaching calls thinking the team will score points any minute now and overcome the bad decisions.

It will be different the next two games.

putter
November 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Ah, forgot about the old pick play flag. Thanks, Crunch! xthumbsupx

griz8791
November 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Post-Weber letdown. They're every Big Sky team's Super Bowl. They get every Big Sky team's best shot and then those same teams struggle the next week. Been happening that way out here for years.

griz8791
November 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Post-Weber letdown. They're every Big Sky team's Super Bowl. They get every Big Sky team's best shot and then those same teams struggle the next week. Been happening that way out here for years.

xcoffeex

Poker Alan
November 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Everybody comes out hating, memories are so short... we may have a rough playoff, but, as last year proves, anything can happen... and recent history shows that no matter how bad, ISU always plays us tough... We are probably gonna pull the #2 seed, and at least make the semifinals.

Grrrrriz
November 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I would say we just had a bad game. Every year, pretty much every great team has a game where they play down to way inferior competition, and nearly blow it (ala Central Washington last year, ISU this year, App barely beating The Citadel this year.) Statistically we dominated, but in all of the categories where we could beat ourselves, we dominated those as well. I really don't think it is indicative of The Griz at all this year, and was really just a bad game right after our biggest game of the year. I for one am glad to have our worst performance out of the way, and to come out on top. Also, was it just me, or did the playcalling seem really conservative? I assume it was due to total dog**** carpet ISU calls a field. There were like 6 major injuries that day.

Silenoz
November 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
To be fair, CWU is really, really good (#1 team in DII right now). We should of won by double digits (at least) at home, but that wasn't a bad win

Grrrrriz
November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM
We should have killed them at home. They are a really good DII school, but they are a DII school and there is zero reason it should even been close against one of the two teams playing for the national championship. It was a bad win, and my only point being that most really good teams have really bad wins at least once a year and just like CWU last year, the ISU game this year is not indicative of the team the Griz actually are.

Silenoz
November 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The top DII teams are better than half of FCS. Losing to UNC, ISU, PSU, hell, Sac would of been worse

Ronbo
November 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Central Washington had 17 Pac 10 transfers. Read that about them in a newspaper article.

Grrrrriz
November 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
They were a good DII, don't get me wrong. But they didn't even make it to the DII national championship, and in 2008 we were a championship caliber team. Do you really think they could have made any noise when it comes to FCS? Them beating us last year would have been sufficed to App beating Michigan, except with about 75,000 less people watching.

Silenoz
November 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Don't agree at all. FCS and DII are much closer together than FBS and FCS. And they barely lost on the road across the nation.

JALMOND
November 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I really would not be too concerned, if it was my team. In my years of watching Big Sky football (and football in general), you want to win all your home games and you try to win as many road games as you can. Regardless of how bad your opponent may appear to be, conference road games are usually always tough. If I was a Griz fan, I'd be more concerned if this type of game against this type of opponent had happened in Missoula. The fact that this game was in Pocatello would not concern me at all.