PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Help

Uncle Buck
November 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I need a little help with my trip to Northeastern this Saturday. Heading up from Long Island by car with my buddy and after looking up the field on Google Maps, where they hell do you park? Kent Street? I didn't see anything that looked like a parking field.

We should be rolling in around 10:30am so any advice or help you can give would be great.

Thanks

Dane96
November 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
No parking fields...and anywhere you can find a spot is great. Brookline doesnt allow overnight parking...so everyone scrambles during the day to find a spot when you are allowed to park.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
What Dane said.

When I went to a NU game I just parked at a green line stop and got to it that way. I believe you get to it off the E, though, which is least convenient. Still, the T Stop is pretty close to the field.

Uncle Buck
November 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm a lazy SOB and would prefer to be as close as possible. Can't wait to see the Parson's mystique up close and personal.

I did read somewhere else that if you get to the area before 11am, you can usually find something on the streets.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
What Dane said.

When I went to a NU game I just parked at a green line stop and got to it that way. I believe you get to it off the E, though, which is least convenient. Still, the T Stop is pretty close to the field.

Excellent idea! The T is a great resource. And NU is the "E" line (Huntington Ave.).

UncleSam
November 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I need a little help with my trip to Northeastern this Saturday. Heading up from Long Island by car with my buddy and after looking up the field on Google Maps, where they hell do you park? Kent Street? I didn't see anything that looked like a parking field.

The stadium is located in a residential neighborhood, parking is pretty much all along the curb lines in that residential neighborhood. But with the lack of fan suppoort and considering the season NU is having, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a spot close to the field.

Uncle Buck
November 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I figure we'll have enough time to eventually find something. I just thought it might be good to ask since i've never been up there.

Jackman
November 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Excellent idea! The T is a great resource. And NU is the "E" line (Huntington Ave.).

Yeah, but the football field is nowhere near NU. When I go to games there I take the D line to Longwood Station and walk down Kent Street. If you're coming from the west you can pick the D line up way out at the intersection of the Turnpike and 128 and get off at Brookline Village. It's about a third of a mile walk either way (5-10 minutes).

You can try to find a spot at the side of the road in the surrounding residential neighborhoods, it's do-able, especially with the small crowd expected for this game. But the locals are not supportive and will tow your car if you give them the slightest excuse. Don't expect any leeway, make sure you're 100% legally parked.

Minuteman87
November 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Whenever I go to games at Parsons I park at a meter on Beacon Street and make the 10 minute walk up Kent Street. There are always plenty of on-street spots on a Saturday and I believe the meters are 3 or 4 hours, which should be enough time for the game. Just remember to bring a pocketful of quarters! Not saying this is your best option, just what I have done in the past and have not had a problem. Enjoy the game.

Dane96
November 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
What Dane said.

You can get off on the B and the D...not the E. The E takes you tothe campus.

B-- kent street (hawes)...and I forget what B is...longwood.

Dane96
November 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM

That's campus...not Parsons. Parsons is closest to the B and D.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Last time I went to Parsons, at least three hours before kickoff, there were places to park on the streets surrounding Parsons. Heed the advice given about obeying the parking regulations!!! Especially if one of the neighborhood resident stickers is required!!

I've usually parked out at Riverside (first exit on SR 128 south of the Mass Pike. Oh yeah, those roads are also known as I-95 and I-90. :p :D ) Riverside is the terminus of the Green Line D Branch and has a large parking lot. To me part of the Parsons experience is taking the trolley to the game. The D Branch stop I've always taken is Longwood per Husky Alum's advice.

Speaking of Husky Alum, I hope you made contact with him!! xnodx xbowx xthumbsupx

dgreco
November 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM

I have to agree, if you are just coming up 95, you can take that to the D line and its only 2.75, at least last time i parked at riverside, to take the train in from there. I believe it is exit 21 on 95. Also, you can take the train out for free on the green line as long as you are outbound and at kilmore sq or later.

I think instead of parking downtown the train is the best bet.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I have to agree, if you are just coming up 95, you can take that to the D line and its only 2.75, at least last time i parked at riverside, to take the train in from there. I believe it is exit 21 on 95. Also, you can take the train out for free on the green line as long as you are outbound and at kilmore sq or later.

I think instead of parking downtown the train is the best bet.

Kilmore Square xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Come on, who's going to listen to someone giving Boston travel advice that doesn't know it's Kenmore Square? xoopsx :p :p ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) xpeacex

I think since the Charlie Card was implemented that you no longer get free outbound rides on the D Line. But it's been awhile since I took it to Riverside.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
...Huh, you would think someone who LIVES off the B and C would be able to tell you where to go. Oy.

I'm still a Boston NOOB.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I can tell you that you don't get free rides anymore..

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM
To post a third time in the row, you can cut down on your T-Ride by parking at Chestnut Hill, which is off of Route 9 in Newton and quite a bit before Riverside..

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM

We should be rolling in around 10:30am so any advice or help you can give would be great.

Thanks

If your travel compadre is Bull Fan, you definitely need to hook up with Husky Alum and Dane96!!!! Wow, I'd pay to hear that conversation!!!!!! That would be entertainment worth the price of admission!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
To post a third time in the row, you can cut down on your T-Ride by parking at Chestnut Hill, which is off of Route 9 in Newton and quite a bit before Riverside..

True, but when coming from the West, Riverside is right off the highway and doesn't require any driving in the wonderful streets of the Boston suburbs. Avoiding Route 9 in Newton coming in from 128 is worth the extra time on the trolley and any added expense parking. Exit 14 off the Pike, SR 128 South, 1st exit, turn right, drive less than half a mile, turn left into the parking lot. Stress free!! ;) xpeacex

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I realize this is unrelated, but coming from someone who lives here now, driving in Boston couldn't be easier. EVERYTHING runs off of Comm and Beacon.

Jackman
November 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM

What kind of sick, demented masochist voluntarily drives a greater distance so that he can be trapped in an enclosed space with Boston College people? That's like asking your dentist to perform your root canal through your rectum so your jaw won't get tired.

Anyway, to complete the information overkill, here's a map of how this whole train thing works, using difficult-to-read colors:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/Parsons.gif

The Longwood Station and Brookline Village stops are about the same distance from Parsons Field. The entrance is on the Kent Street side towards the south end. One advantage to the Longwood route is that you will likely see part of your football team getting changed and taped up outdoors, since there is no room in Northeastern's tiny field house. The train does not actually run through Northeastern's end zone as depicted in the map, much to I think everyone's disappointment.

After the game, consider touring some of the various college campuses that are closer to Parson's Field than Northeastern, such as Wheelock College, Simmons College, the Wentworth Institute of Technology, Emmanuel College, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts College of Art, Boston University, BU School of Law, and many more. In the event that the quality of play on the field makes you ill, several of the America's leading medical centers have been strategically placed just across the river. This is where most of the Northeastern fans who are not answering your questions can be found.

Lastly, here's a map of how to get to the game while keeping your car as far away from Boston as possible, which frankly should be everyone's goal in life. I'd consider getting rid of my car if it wasn't the only way to get to UMass games. Nothing but a lodestone in Boston.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/riversidetoparsons.gif

Red square is Parsons.

dgreco
November 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Kilmore Square xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Come on, who's going to listen to someone giving Boston travel advice that doesn't know it's Kenmore Square? xoopsx :p :p ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) xpeacex

I think since the Charlie Card was implemented that you no longer get free outbound rides on the D Line. But it's been awhile since I took it to Riverside.

idk why I said that.

I haven't been on the train since 2004ish. The only time I am on it now is on the orange line and there is no free ride there.

But yes. Kenmore and I think the parking would be easier at riverside than off of Rt 9. There is no parking down there, except in a garage at the Art Institute and a few spots near the stops.

Dane96
November 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
If your travel compadre is Bull Fan, you definitely need to hook up with Husky Alum and Dane96!!!! Wow, I'd pay to hear that conversation!!!!!! That would be entertainment worth the price of admission!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OH MY G-D....LET'S MAKE THAT HAPPEN. Though, no wrastlin' better take place because my shoulder is far from healed...xnonoxxwhistlexxpeacex

Dane96
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I realize this is unrelated, but coming from someone who lives here now, driving in Boston couldn't be easier. EVERYTHING runs off of Comm and Beacon.

Lived here 10 years...and lived next to Parsons; it ain't easier to park and drive on Saturdays...not even close.

The T is the best way.

Plus, you likely will see some Turkey's out and about-- yup, real live ones like I saw at my last game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
OH MY G-D....LET'S MAKE THAT HAPPEN. Though, no wrastlin' better take place because my shoulder is far from healed...xnonoxxwhistlexxpeacex

Then you better be nice to Uncle Buck, he's a former DLineman. Try and locate some Blue Point Toasted Lager!!! ;) :D :D

Go...gate
November 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Lived here 10 years...and lived next to Parsons; it ain't easier to park and drive on Saturdays...not even close.

The T is the best way.

Plus, you likely will see some Turkey's out and about-- yup, real live ones like I saw at my last game.

No kidding? In the middle of the damned city?

Dane96
November 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Have a great shot of it on my old phone from a game last year when I was meeting Husky Alum. I used to hunt turkeys, so i did a call to them and the neighbors freaked out as they started headed towards their walkway.

Really funny to say the least.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Have a great shot of it on my old phone from a game last year when I was meeting Husky Alum. I used to hunt turkeys, so i did a call to them and the neighbors freaked out as they started headed towards their walkway.

Really funny to say the least.

Me visualizing you doing a turkey call in Brookline had me LMAO!!!! Priceless!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Husky Alum
November 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Parking may be at a premium this Saturday because it's homecoming. However, if you get to Parsons a couple of hours before the game, you shouldn't have any problem finding a place to park on the street.

If you are walking to the field and see a guy that looks like Mike Dukakis working in his yard near Parsons - it's him. He lives about 2 blocks from Parsons and often comes by the tailgate area to mingle - he's on the faculty at NU. Ted Kennedy used to have a place near Parsons as well.

NU uses a parking garage on Aspinwall Street - about 3-4 blocks from campus, if you want to park there. I think some WM fans parked there this year.

I'm about 95% sure I'm not going to be at the football game, UB - we'll have to meet at the NU-Hofstra hoop game in Hempstead.

Unfortunately I'm working on an investigation in NYC that has kept me occupied about 16 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. Corporate Fraud knows no timeline, and I've missed going to the World Series because of this project as well.

I loathe missing the homecoming football game, but I know a number of die hard fans who may not go to the football game and who may go early to the hockey game and pregame on campus.

andy7171
November 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I figure we'll have enough time to eventually find something. I just thought it might be good to ask since i've never been up there.

You guys didn't play Northeastern back in the day!?!

PM HuskyAlum, I'm guessing he's got the best info.

Uncle Buck
November 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
You guys didn't play Northeastern back in the day!?!

Nah, we played UNH, Maine, URI, UD when i was playing since we were an independent at the time. We've played Northeastern for some time now, but i just never got up there.

I'm about 95% sure I'm not going to be at the football game, UB - we'll have to meet at the NU-Hofstra hoop game in Hempstead.

Without a doubt we'll hook up for hoops. A heck of a lot of info for parking. I'm thinking parking outside the area and taking the train seems to be the best bet with the least amount of hassle. I don't need to get towed and spend the day getting my car back.

Gordon Shumway
November 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
What kind of sick, demented masochist voluntarily drives a greater distance so that he can be trapped in an enclosed space with Boston College people? That's like asking your dentist to perform your root canal through your rectum so your jaw won't get tired.

xlolx

Heed this man. He knows of what he speaks. Avoid beagle fans at all costs.

Uncle Buck
November 15th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Well, Parson's Field, it was what we thought it was. Threw us a curve by adding the portable stands to the visiting side. Small, hard to get to, so so facilities, a constant rain all day, the visiting sideline under water, my team looking like they didn't want to be there, yeah, it was everything i thought it would be.

Seriously, we stink but i'm still glad i made the trip. Wish i could have hooked up with HuskyAlum, but i will be back. Hopefully we lose the next game and give the AD more reason to fire our coaching staff. Hard to be upset about yesterday when you go in with no expectations. The Parson's mystique claims yet another victim.

Bull Fan
November 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM

LOL.... It'd have been a great time. But as it turned out, we'd not have had a lot of time for talk. I was yelling my ass off at Cohen, who in the quaint confines of that field, was able to hear everything I was dishing out.

Uncle Buck, just man up. It was only some water and a little walking, something we both need a lot of ;) When you stepped ankle-deep into that puddle, it was a sign of the cursed day we were in for. Actually, I dig little places like that. It's absolutely amazing to see a facility like that hosting a division 1 program. The rain was the least of our worries, and at the end of the day the coaching staff was literally and figuratively all wet.

We landed in a parking garage on Brookline Ave, about a 5-10 minute walk away.