PDA

View Full Version : Officials Say ODU Monarchs Football Is Still On Track

JMU Duke Dog
December 19th, 2005, 02:01 PM
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=96999&ran=26891&zr=1

Officials say Monarchs football is still on track
By PHILIP WALZER, The Virginian-Pilot
© December 17, 2005 | Last updated 10:32 PM Dec. 16

NORFOLK –– Old Dominion University’s board agreed Friday to push ahead with football, though officials did not meet a deadline for a land agreement with the city and do not expect to meet a June deadline for gathering $8 million in pledges.

ODU leaders said, however, that they’re close to a land deal with the city and that they expect to raise enough money to stick to the 2009 scheduled start date for football.

A consultant’s report, released Friday , estimated ODU could raise $4.1 million in start-up funds, but would not get many large donations.

Board members did not take a vote, but signaled their support for moving forward. No member voiced hesitations.

“The good news is, the money is there,” said the board’s rector, James A. Hixon . “It’s just going to be a little harder to get.” ...

Staff writer Harry Minium contributed to this story.

Reach Philip Walzer at (757) 222-5105 or [email protected]

colgate13
December 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
That's real good news. I'd like to see ODU football.

bluehenbillk
December 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM
They sound a lot more confident than me. I'll go on record saying we don't see ODU football in the timetable they originally laid out. They haven't met a timetable yet & raising $$ anymore doesn't happen at the snap of a finger.

I think they'll have FB, just may take a year or two longer than planned.

henfan
December 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Football by 2009 is almost a foregone conclusion for ODU. If the school leaders say the sport will start by that date, they'll find a way to get it done. No question about it.

RadMann
December 19th, 2005, 09:28 PM
The CAA/A10 football conference is too big already. ODU is going to push it over the edge. A split needs to happen in my opinion.

mainejeff
December 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM
They sound a lot more confident than me. I'll go on record saying we don't see ODU football in the timetable they originally laid out. They haven't met a timetable yet & raising $$ anymore doesn't happen at the snap of a finger.

I think they'll have FB, just may take a year or two longer than planned.

I agree.

mainejeff
December 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM
The CAA/A10 football conference is too big already. ODU is going to push it over the edge. A split needs to happen in my opinion.

It will ;) .

December 19th, 2005, 11:54 PM
It will ;) .Good!

TigerFan17
December 20th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Ralph, how do you think it should be split up? I've heard many theories but I'm curious to know how you think it might pan out..?

henfan
December 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
ODU is seriously committed to I-AA football and is already laying the groundwork with plans for Title IX equivalancies. They will add women's crew in '07, softball in '09 and volleyball in '15- an additional 44 scholarships in total. The remainder will be made up with additional funding to exiting women's programs. The school has no plans to cut existing men's programs.

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the CAA and future affiliate football members have already worked out a tentative future separation date (2010 or 2011). I also wouldn't be surprised to see the CAA expand to include at least one or two more all sport members with I-AA football- possibly one the of current affiliate football members.

As for where the affiliates will play, the America East allegedly has interest in starting its own football league. That would come with the CAA's welcome blessing, as soon as they can cobble together enough teams to get the thing going. They have a home in the CAA until then.