View Full Version : Furman @ GSU homecoming

Eaglesrus
November 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I can't even get excited about this game and it's FURMAN! What have we come to? Sorry, just had to get it off my chest, as you were.

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I can't even get excited about this game and it's FURMAN! What have we come to? Sorry, just had to get it off my chest, as you were.

xbawlingx

blazrdog#1
November 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
BWAHAHAHA !

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
BWAHAHAHA !

When is the last time you guys beat Furman BWAHAHAHAHAxrolleyesx

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Eaglesrus, there's no need to fear: Ivytalk is here!:D (Cue Underdog theme.) My bride will be there as well. Looking forward to our first visit to Paulson and our first taste of SoCon football!xbowxxnodx

Eaglesrus
November 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Eaglesrus, there's no need to fear: Ivytalk is here!:D (Cue Underdog theme.) My bride will be there as well. Looking forward to our first visit to Paulson and our first taste of SoCon football!xbowxxnodx

Looking forward to seeing y'all IT! Unfortunately my wife can't make it, but I'll be there.

blazrdog#1
November 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
:D:D

ChiefGSU275
November 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Seriously??

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Seriously??

I do believe Blazerdog is a Samford fanxnodx

Eaglesrus
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Seriously??

Pretty sure OL FU was asking that of Blazrdog. Maybe you realize that, but it just doesn't look like you did.

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Pretty sure OL FU was asking that of Blazrdog. Maybe you realize that, but it just doesn't look like you did.

Believe me, I remember everytime GSU beat Furman:(

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
:D:D

Then find a board for that sport:)

ashram
November 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Wow, where would this thread be without blazrdog's enlightening contributions? xrolleyesx

Here's to both of our programs getting their sh** together and making this rivalry more meaningful again someday in the near future xbeerchugx. Our D has made some sub-par offenses look pretty good this year, but I think Furman has too much firepower to lose this one. Furman stops another GSU home-winning-streak this weekend. FU 35, GSU 24.

ASU_MBA
November 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Furman by 2TDs.....the O is pretty good, the D is horrible.

ChiefGSU275
November 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Yea i see that now, my bad!

ASUG8
November 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Question is, will the GSU faithful still put 17K in the seats for Homecoming this year?

UncleSam
November 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Maybe we could get FU, GSU and UD to play a round robin and call it the battle for the 'Use To Be' trophy.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I do believe Blazerdog is a Samford fanxnodx

Actually, we Samford folks are not sure just WHAT blazerdog is. xconfusedx

blueballs
November 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Furman by 2TDs.....the O is pretty good, the D is horrible.

That's probably about right...

blueballs
November 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Question is, will the GSU faithful still put 17K in the seats for Homecoming this year?

If the weather is nice you'll see more than that... after all it is Furman and it is homecoming.

The following week against El Cid is when you'll see the sparse crowd, especially if GSU lays a turd against Furman along the proportions of their last two games.

If GSU loses the next two- which is a very real possibility- the offseason will be pretty tumultous around Statesboro. You could even say that Grube and Baker fiddle while Rome burns...

seantaylor
November 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
No chance in hell for 17K. Hatcher is a bum.

mrklean
November 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Actually, we Samford folks are not sure just WHAT blazerdog is. xconfusedx

Blazerdog, Graduated from Valdosta State DII and UGay. That's why he has the name. Hes a Eagle wannabe, up until this year. Now he blasts GSU every time he can. Blazerdog needs to take that sorry excuse of a coach back to that High School town of his.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
GSU will win, and I'm basing it on superstition. xthumbsupx

One thing that I have noticed about the GSU-Furman matchup lately is that the team that has had a better season coming into the game tends to lose. In the 10 games between 1999 and 2008, 2006 was really the only year that the team that was doing better came into the game and won. That's 9 of the last 10 that the team not doing as well has won the game.

GSU and Furman have the same number of conference and non-conference losses. But Furman has two losses to FBS teams with a combined record of 12-7 and GSU's OOC losses are to a top-25 FCS team and a 6-3 FBS. I'd say Furman has had the better season of the two teams so far and that's why they'll lose. xthumbsupx

blueballs
November 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'd challenge anybody to name a rivalry wherer the two participants have played more meaningful games in the past 25 years.

GSU and Furman have met in the national championship game twice and in the semi finals once. Add to that the many conference games where the conference title was on the line, both teams were ranked highly, and homefield was on the line and it is probably the premier competitive rivalry of the last 25 years in FCS.

For the good of the SoCon, not to mention the two schools, and the rest of the division I hope the two programs can coagulate their feces and restore themselves.

T-Dog
November 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
coagulate their feces

Well you don't see that phrase every day of the week. xeyebrowx

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well you don't see that phrase every day of the week. xeyebrowx

And for good reason!:p

paward
November 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Good Luck to my second favorite and hometown team, Go Eagles! I would love to see Richmond come to the Boro to play.

GATA
November 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Good Luck to my second favorite and hometown team, Go Eagles! I would love to see Richmond come to the Boro to play.

That would be pretty sweet up until the point when the ball is actually kicked off and you guys beat us by 45 points.

Wait till we get this cluster***** turned around before you schedule us PLEASE! xthumbsupx

OL FU
November 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'd challenge anybody to name a rivalry wherer the two participants have played more meaningful games in the past 25 years.

GSU and Furman have met in the national championship game twice and in the semi finals once. Add to that the many conference games where the conference title was on the line, both teams were ranked highly, and homefield was on the line and it is probably the premier competitive rivalry of the last 25 years in FCS.

For the good of the SoCon, not to mention the two schools, and the rest of the division I hope the two programs can coagulate their feces and restore themselves.

I give up. I can't think of another rivalry with as many games with national implications. Just the two NC appearances probably beats all others.

coagulate their feces xlolx I wrote that down. Mind if I use it somewhere else in the future. :)

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Can't name a rivalry that has fallen off as much as this one has either. :(

OL FU
November 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Can't name a rivalry that has fallen off as much as this one has either. :(

If it makes you feel better, I still hate you guysxthumbsupx

GATA
November 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
If it makes you feel better, I still hate you guysxthumbsupx

awwwww....we still hate you guys too xnodx

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
On behalf of the Hillbillies, and if I may so speak for the Ankle Biters .... we hate both you guys, too.

GATA
November 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
yup...Georgia Southern still terrible. Furman is dominating us just like I thought they would.

I'm not joking when I tell you that GSU is a glorified DII football team.

Also: Kyle Collins is better than Lee Chapple and Brandon Nolley is the best running back on our football team and he's JUST NOW getting touches. Retarded.

GATA
November 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
can't even punt the football. GSU is the worst team in the country right now. I'm pretty sure that Georgia State would beat us RIGHT now with 22 walk ons in a scrimmage game.

GATA
November 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I've already seen enough from Kyle Collins in a scoreless first half of football to know that he's better than Lee Chapple.

BullDog85
November 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Citadel 21
Mockingbirds 3
Half-Time

mrklean
November 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Citadel 21
Mockingbirds 3
Half-Time

Hey citdog!

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
God, we are horrible.
The worst part about it is that it's really getting hard to care anymore. I never thought I'd say that.
I wonder if I will even bother to listen to the game next weekend. This entire coaching staff is a bunch of clowns, and they are lead by the head clown in charge in the A.D's office, Sam Baker.
Georgia Southern football has been killed dead. D.O.A. Cue the funeral march.

GATA
November 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
God, we are horrible.
The worst part about it is that it's really getting hard to care anymore. I never thought I'd say that.
I wonder if I will even bother to listen to the game next weekend. This entire coaching staff is a bunch of clowns, and they are lead by the head clown in charge in the A.D's office, Sam Baker.
Georgia Southern football has been killed dead. D.O.A. Cue the funeral march.

The problem is really simple. It's not scheme and the coaches aren't nearly as bad as everyone thinks.

Are our schemes complicated or flashy...NO. Are they the best schemes in the world...NO.

But Hatcher doesn't care. He won at Valdosta State because he had MUCH better athletes than every other team in DII. Valdosta State consistently had some of the best athletes in Division II every year. I doubt there were ever 5 teams in the entire division with more talent.

He doesn't have that luxury at Georgia southern. Right now we're not even top 5 in talent in the SOCON...let alone the rest of FCS. Hatcher isn't helping himself by losing half of his recruiting classes every year either. Unless this guy has AWESOME talent he's not going to win anything.

The only chance for Hatcher is for him to take the Delaware/North Alabama approach and just take a ton of transfers and JUCO players every year. We don't have the triple option scheme to mask our talent deficiencies anymore.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
We clearly need a transfer QB, and a receiver or two. A big bruising fullback would be nice too. This dink and dunk crap has got to go. Why the heck can't we ever just line up in an "I" and punch the defense in the dang mouth?

GATA
November 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
We clearly need a transfer QB, and a receiver or two. A big bruising fullback would be nice too. This dink and dunk crap has got to go. Why the heck can't we ever just line up in an "I" and punch the defense in the dang mouth?

Honestly, the I formation is one of the worst formations in football. If you think we're bad on offense now...just wait and see what happens if we line up in an I formation.

There's nothing wrong with our scheme. Teams who are actually good at the Air Raid offense that we're running have no problem consistently putting up points. We're probably the worst air raid team I've ever seen and I'm being serious.

It's like when Rhode Island ran the triple option. There was nothing wrong with the scheme...it was just the players at Rhode Island...you can't win in any scheme without good players. And Georgia Southern has average players at best.

mrklean
November 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Sam Baker Sucks!!!

seantaylor
November 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hatcher is the worst coach in D1. Just a total idiot.

OL FU
November 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM
You are welcome.

We let you make the score look respectable. :p

Since we are both down, I'll take a moment to bitch. 24-0 at half and at the half time interview Bobby says we need to run more to control the game. Why? We passed the entire first half successfully and controlled the game. why change? You guys that were there, did we blitz in the second half? I know we did in the first half but from my radio view it didn't sound like we did in the second half much at all.

sounded we took what worked in the first half and chunked it out the window. (realizing of course second half turnovers didn't help)

apaladin
November 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
You are welcome.

We let you make the score look respectable. :p

Since we are both down, I'll take a moment to bitch. 24-0 at half and at the half time interview Bobby says we need to run more to control the game. Why? We passed the entire first half successfully and controlled the game. why change? You guys that were there, did we blitz in the second half? I know we did in the first half but from my radio view it didn't sound like we did in the second half much at all.

sounded we took what worked in the first half and chunked it out the window. (realizing of course second half turnovers didn't help)

Just a typical FU game the last 3-4 years. How many times have we played well in the first half and just went thru the motions in the second half and instead of putting people away we just hang on. Granted the game was not as close as the final. How did you like that text book example of the "prevent" at the end? GSU takes over 80 yds away with 58 secinds left and scores in 5 plays and never had to call a TO.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Good news, hopefully Bobby can keep his job now.

GATA
November 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hatcher is the worst coach in D1. Just a total idiot.

If you think hatcher is bad as a coach...it doesn't help that our talent level is a joke compared to the rest of the conference. you don't have to be a football expert to tell that our guys simply aren't up to par with the rest of the league. I don't even think we have athletes as good as Western Carolina does. They simply have a bigger idiot at head coach than we do.

This **** is a joke.

When Adam urbano is your "best" player you know you suck. This guy wouldn't even see the field on most other teams. Urbano wouldn't have even played on our 2006 or 2007 teams...and from what I saw yesterday...Brandon Nolley should have been starting at H or F weeks ago. The guy is one of our few decent athletes. He and Darrell Pasco were the only two players that were actually fired up about the game. Everyone else was going through the motions.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Gotta tell ya: speaking for myself and Mrs. Ivy, our first GSU game experience won't be our last! Great tailgate atmosphere, outstanding tradition, wonderful fans. We'll be back! And special thanks to Baldy and his wife (our magnificent hosts), Eaglegus2 the 5-star chef, blueballs, Eaglesrus, bobbythekidd, Eagle22, and countless others who made us feel welcome.xbowx

Those head-butts of the Erk Russell bust added a touch that is unrivalled in FCS football! And Freedom the Eagle flat-out rocks!xthumbsupx

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Gotta tell ya: speaking for myself and Mrs. Ivy, our first GSU game experience won't be our last! Great tailgate atmosphere, outstanding tradition, wonderful fans. We'll be back! And special thanks to Baldy and his wife (our magnificent hosts), Eaglegus2 the 5-star chef, blueballs, Eaglesrus, bobbythekidd, Eagle22, and countless others who made us feel welcome.xbowx

Those head-butts of the Erk Russell bust added a touch that is unrivalled in FCS football! And Freedom the Eagle flat-out rocks!xthumbsupx

You didn't drink out of Eagle Creek did you:(xsmiley_wix

Glad you had a good time. xnodx

Eagle22
November 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM

It was a pleasure to meet you. Wish I had a more time to visit. Had to run back to corral my 12 yr old and his friend, before I had to go do the pregame radio show. Turned out the pregame tailgating was probably the highlight of the day, from a GSU perspective.

Thanks for coming !

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
You didn't drink out of Eagle Creek did you:(xsmiley_wix

Glad you had a good time. xnodx

Furman had a decent turnout, and its fans were good folks. Would have liked to meet OL FU as well! Maybe next year...

seantaylor
November 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
If you think hatcher is bad as a coach...it doesn't help that our talent level is a joke compared to the rest of the conference. you don't have to be a football expert to tell that our guys simply aren't up to par with the rest of the league. I don't even think we have athletes as good as Western Carolina does. They simply have a bigger idiot at head coach than we do.

This **** is a joke.

When Adam urbano is your "best" player you know you suck. This guy wouldn't even see the field on most other teams. Urbano wouldn't have even played on our 2006 or 2007 teams...and from what I saw yesterday...Brandon Nolley should have been starting at H or F weeks ago. The guy is one of our few decent athletes. He and Darrell Pasco were the only two players that were actually fired up about the game. Everyone else was going through the motions.

Well, you are wrong. But, who recruits the talent? Hatcher. He is a country rube. And we have a ton of good players. Hatcher plays favorites or runs people off.

blueballs
November 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Back at 'cha... I had a wonderful time Friday night and again Saturday (except for the final score). It was good to see you and Mrs. Talk again.

I hope we can all hook up again soon!

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Back at 'cha... I had a wonderful time Friday night and again Saturday (except for the final score). It was good to see you and Mrs. Talk again.

I hope we can all hook up again soon!

Navy-GSU at Annapolis on 9/11/10!xthumbsupxxnodx

Eaglesrus
November 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Navy-GSU at Annapolis on 9/11/10!xthumbsupxxnodx

We're certainly planning to be there; in fact, current thought is that it will be at least a four day weekend for us. Definitely looking forward to it!

GATA
November 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Well, you are wrong. But, who recruits the talent? Hatcher. He is a country rube. And we have a ton of good players. Hatcher plays favorites or runs people off.

No..I'm not wrong. We ran off all the GOOD players. If we had good players...we'd be better than 4-6 (see 2007 and 2008).