PDA

View Full Version : New Study: No conditioning and no contact make better team!

crabby terrier
November 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
November 8th, 2009 11:06am
Terriers saved energy for The Citadel
by Todd Shanesy

Wofford went lighter in practice and heavy in the game.

After a week of no contact and no conditioning, the Terriers unloaded Saturday against The Citadel and took a 43-17 victory in Charleston.

“When you’re struggling like we’re struggling with injuries,” Terriers head coach Mike Ayers said, “you wonder, ‘Is it going to get any worse?’ ”

Yes, it did.

The Terriers lost running back Lavadrick Farrar to a concussion and linebacker Mark Flott to a knee last week. They’re dropping like flies on this team. Eight guys are out for the season and the injury list gets longer every day. Ayers even needed elbow surgery.

The players healthy enough for practice are getting worn out.

“We tried to cut way back on contact,” Ayers said. “We had so many guys with bruised shoulders and back issues and some other things. We just felt like the kids, after the past three weeks, were really fatigued. We didn’t do any conditioning and we stayed away from hard hitting. I think we came down with at least a fresh football team.”

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dxsmiley_wix

crabby terrier
November 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20091109/NEWS/911099958/1090/sports02?Title=Banged-up-Wofford-scales-down-contact-in-practices

it may be good for winning games , but we still lost three players with minimal contact last week!xconfusedxxconfusedx xmadx

rb farrar concussion
lb flott knee
db williams ankle

i guess minimal contact is a bit different at wofford.xrolleyesx

Hoyadestroya85
November 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
wow, you guys are like the New York Mets of the SoCon

LakesBison
November 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
St johns *minnesota* is a perennial D3 title contender with the winningest coach of all time. (*and my brother played safety for them*) and they get alot of NDSU transfers down there.

They dont have contact ever, they dont have conditioning drills, everyone is supposed to lift and condition by themselves.

So yea, I can see how it can benefit, but dont think that could ever relate to D1.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
New Study: No conditioning and no contact make better team!

The opposite seemed to work, albeit temporarily, for the Appalachian Jekyll/Hyde Defense of Horrors.

Here's hoping the App D can at least keep it respectable against the Mighty Fighting Christians --- who would love to hang 50 on those Heathen Hillbillies.

SU Jag
November 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Most schools have no contact once the season starts, as far as the conditioning, I know at su they ran the hell out of us! Lol. But the no contact part was pretty much how it was for me in college and in high school.

93henfan
November 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Sounds like a study commissioned by Michigan players.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
wow, you guys are like the New York Mets of the SoCon

OUCH!!!!! xeekx

Wmbgskip
November 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Pretty common knowledge, at least in the world of swimming and track - coaches taper their kids on individualized schedules, lowering the amount of work they do leading up to the big event, with the result that when the race or game actually comes, the kid has been starved of competition and real work for so long that he or she goes absolutely nutso and sets a career-best mark.

The obvious flipside, if you have a coach who doesn't know the kids and doesn't know what he or she is doing when setting up the workouts is that you can destroy the kids ability to actually compete by not giving them enough to keep them on that edge.

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a study commissioned by Michigan players.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolx