PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - 11/8

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Again, I'm making the effort - throw me a bracket and show me what you think!

FYI - going with SLU for SLC AQ since I am picking SLU to win out (home vs SFA) and TXST to defeat McNeese in San Marcos, thereby giving the tiebreaker to the Lions.

Threw out a lot of in consideration teams. Pretty much focusing in on 20 teams with a shot now.

Automatic Bids
Big Sky: Montana
Colonial: Villanova
MEAC: South Carolina State
Missouri Valley: Southern Illinois
Ohio Valley: Eastern Illinois
Patriot: Holy Cross
SoCon: Elon
Southland: Southeastern La.

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Appalachian State
Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

Bracket

Southeastern La. @ (1) Montana
Eastern Washington @ McNeese State

Holy Cross @ (4) Villanova
South Carolina State @ Appalachian State

William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

New Hampshire @ South Dakota State
Eastern Illinois @ (2) Southern Illinois

Last Team In

McNeese State - A 7-3 vs Div I team with wins over Appy plus SLC AQ Southeastern La. lifts Pokes. TXST with a similar record may get in above them, but the win vs Appy and the tradition that is McNeese may loom VERY large considering weak TXST OOC.

Last Teams Out

Lafayette - Weak GPI hurts. Defeat Holy Cross, you get AQ. Next week for all the marbles!

Liberty - Still not convinced by the Flames. Their win over Lafayette puts them in over the Leopards if it comes to it.

Bubble Teams

Delaware - Win out, you are in. Texas Bowl bound Navy and CAA giant killer Villanova remain.

Florida A&M - Even at 9-2, would the committee take a second MEAC team? FAMU will be cheering for losses by several teams across the landscape this week.

Montana State - Could get to 7-3 in Div I games, with a win over Montana. Two Big Sky losses will hurt, especially if NAU and EWU are fighting for a lost spot.

Northern Arizona - The loss to Sac St may have ended the season. Tough games at Ole Miss and at Weber State. A 7-4 Big Sky team is enjoying the postseason.

Texas State-San Marcos - 7-3 in Div I will not cut it, not when you loss to Southern Utah and beat Texas Southern out of conference.

asknoquarter21
November 8th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Looks good.

Very hard to project right now with many big games still to play.

Looks pretty good though

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM

FYI - going with SLU for SLC AQ since I am picking SLU to win out (home vs SFA) and TXST to defeat McNeese in San Marcos, thereby giving the tiebreaker to the Lions.

Threw out a lot of in consideration teams. Pretty much focusing in on 20 teams with a shot now.

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Appalachian State
Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

Bracket

William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

I see SDSU on the road and UNI buying a home game in the first round.

ASU_Fanatic
November 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
South Carolina State coming to Boone...repeat of last year!

bigchocolate
November 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
South Carolina State coming to Boone...repeat of last year!

If the location is the same, I assure you the end result will be different:D

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Last team in shouldn't have a home game. I really don't like this bid system. Home games should be rewarded to teams that earn it.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Many older posters here and long time 1-AA fans wish they would seed at least the top 8 like they used to. Even though ASU benefits from the current system I'm for seeding the top 8, but the NC$$ sees things differently.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Many older posters here and long time 1-AA fans wish they would seed at least the top 8 like they used to. Even though ASU benefits from the current system I'm for seeding the top 8, but the NC$$ sees things differently.

It's really counter productive for schools to pay to host a game and give a percentage of earnings to the NCAA. xsmhx

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Bracket

William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

Is SCSU continues winning, they may rise as high as #6 or #7; while other higher ranked teams will drop due to losses. If Elon does not beat Appalachian State, I think they will be sent to Orangeburg; with W & M going to Appalachian State.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't mind us having to go to Richmond for a chance to pay them back for what they did in the dome last year!xnodx

tribe_pride
November 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Is SCSU continues winning, they may rise as high as #6 or #7; while other higher ranked teams will drop due to losses. If Elon does not beat Appalachian State, I think they will be sent to Orangeburg; with W & M going to Appalachian State.

There are no 6 or 7 seeds in the playoffs. Just 1-4 and then regionalization matchups. The 1 team could play the 5 team in the 1st round.

I wouldn't mind us having to go to Richmond for a chance to pay them back for what they did in the dome last year!xnodx

I can't imagine that Richmond would get the home game over UNI. UNI averages 13,349 per game while Richmond gets 8,737. The Nova game had 11,667 yesterday and is included in those figures. Only the Tribe game is left and that will be better but not enough to allow Richmond to outbid UNI

paward
November 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Are the bids based on attendance or money?

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Are the bids based on attendance or money?
each school makes a $$ guarantee to the NCAA, who ever offers more $$ gets the home game... Obviously most teams will consider their per game revenue in their bid.

txstatebobcat
November 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Appalachian State
Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

Bracket

William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

Last Team In

McNeese State - A 7-3 vs Div I team with wins over Appy plus SLC AQ Southeastern La. lifts Pokes. TXST with a similar record may get in above them, but the win vs Appy and the tradition that is McNeese may loom VERY large considering weak TXST OOC.

Last Teams Out

Lafayette - Weak GPI hurts. Defeat Holy Cross, you get AQ. Next week for all the marbles!

Liberty - Still not convinced by the Flames. Their win over Lafayette puts them in over the Leopards if it comes to it.

Bubble Teams

Delaware - Win out, you are in. Texas Bowl bound Navy and CAA giant killer Villanova remain.

Florida A&M - Even at 9-2, would the committee take a second MEAC team? FAMU will be cheering for losses by several teams across the landscape this week.

Montana State - Could get to 7-3 in Div I games, with a win over Montana. Two Big Sky losses will hurt, especially if NAU and EWU are fighting for a lost spot.

Northern Arizona - The loss to Sac St may have ended the season. Tough games at Ole Miss and at Weber State. A 7-4 Big Sky team is enjoying the postseason.

Texas State-San Marcos - 7-3 in Div I will not cut it, not when you loss to Southern Utah and beat Texas Southern out of conference.

I disagree with you on TxSt. We should be on the top 25 this week with a chance to move up to within the top 16 in the rankings if we win the next two weeks. It would be incredibly difficult for the committee to ignore that.

grizzpaw
November 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
the ticket price for playoff games are set by what was the cheapest ticket for home games then times that by your home game attenance and that is what you bid or the mim which ever is morexcoffeex!

Eight Legger
November 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The whole "bidding" process is a farce, plain and simple. The NCAA can claim whatever it wants about how you only get to submit one bid and that serves for your entire playoff run, but then you hear stories about teams being able to rebid every round.

Allegedly -- again, according to the NCAA -- it comes down to a plain and simple money issue of who has the best bid. But two years ago Wofford got a home game in round two against UR because of "student welfare concerns" (i.e., Wofford had won at Montana the week before, while Richmond had a home game, and they didn't want Wofford on the road again).

Basically they will make up rules as they go along, so I put zero stock in any pre-conceived ideas of what may happen.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I believe the enveloped are sealed and opened after the match-ups are determined based upon seeds and regionalization (which I also dislike).

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I disagree with you on TxSt. We should be on the top 25 this week with a chance to move up to within the top 16 in the rankings if we win the next two weeks. It would be incredibly difficult for the committee to ignore that.

An AQ is your only sure-fire way to get in...

If SLU takes the AQ, the committee will have a decision to make. Does McN's OOC outweigh their loss in the regular season to you?

McN beating TXST next week IMO, will lock up their bid.

txstatebobcat
November 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM

If SLU takes the AQ, the committee will have a decision to make. Does McN's OOC outweigh their loss in the regular season to you?

Of course the only sure way in is through the AQ. However, at 8-3 with one of the toughest 3 game stretch in the nation it will be incredibly difficult for the committee to overlook us.

Tribe4SF
November 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The whole "bidding" process is a farce, plain and simple. The NCAA can claim whatever it wants about how you only get to submit one bid and that serves for your entire playoff run, but then you hear stories about teams being able to rebid every round.

Allegedly -- again, according to the NCAA -- it comes down to a plain and simple money issue of who has the best bid. But two years ago Wofford got a home game in round two against UR because of "student welfare concerns" (i.e., Wofford had won at Montana the week before, while Richmond had a home game, and they didn't want Wofford on the road again).

Basically they will make up rules as they go along, so I put zero stock in any pre-conceived ideas of what may happen.

Bids are submitted in advance for all three rounds, and those bids are usually different. The minimum required to get a home game goes up after the first round. If a seeded team hasn't submitted the minimum bid, even they will not get a home game. The other criteria that comes into play after the first round is student-athlete welfare. Teams sometimes have brutal road trips (flight delays, etc., such as UD's trip to UNI a couple years ago, and Wofford at Montana that led to them getting home game against Richmond), and the committee is not going to ignore that.

PhantomCAT
November 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
IF Montana State wins out, they will be 8-3 with wins over Weber St and Montana. It'll be tough to leave out a 8-3 team with a win over the #1 team in the nation.
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF

WileECoyote06
November 8th, 2009, 10:51 AM
There are no 6 or 7 seeds in the playoffs. Just 1-4 and then regionalization matchups. The 1 team could play the 5 team in the 1st round.

I can't imagine that Richmond would get the home game over UNI. UNI averages 13,349 per game while Richmond gets 8,737. The Nova game had 11,667 yesterday and is included in those figures. Only the Tribe game is left and that will be better but not enough to allow Richmond to outbid UNI

I realize that. . .my two points are #1 SCSU will rise in the GPI. The committee may not claim that they seed teams, but I'm pretty sure they monitor who plays who very closely.

My second point is if Elon loses to App, I seriously doubt they will be able outbid SCSU.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I realize that. . .my two points are #1 SCSU will rise in the GPI. The committee may not claim that they seed teams, but I'm pretty sure they monitor who plays who very closely.

My second point is if Elon loses to App, I seriously doubt they will be able outbid SCSU.

We aren't certain that SCSU will rise in the GPI. The Computer Rankings are holding the Bulldogs back.

UNHWildCats
November 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
IF Montana State wins out, they will be 8-3 with wins over Weber St and Montana. It'll be tough to leave out a 8-3 team with a win over the #1 team in the nation.
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
Montana State beat Villanova?

Houndawg
November 8th, 2009, 11:29 AM
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF

Montana State beat SIU?xconfusedx

JMUNJ08
November 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
IF Montana State wins out, they will be 8-3 with wins over Weber St and Montana. It'll be tough to leave out a 8-3 team with a win over then tundefeated Montana.
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF

Fixed itxthumbsupx

McNeese75
November 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM

There is no surprise here. We all knew the season would come down to the game in San Marcos next week. If the Cowboys manage to keep penalties and turnovers to a minimum I think the Cats will be put to task to win this one. If penalties and turnovers flow freely as they have at times then all bets are off. xnodx

ThompsonThe
November 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Bids are submitted in advance for all three rounds, and those bids are usually different. The minimum required to get a home game goes up after the first round. If a seeded team hasn't submitted the minimum bid, even they will not get a home game. The other criteria that comes into play after the first round is student-athlete welfare. Teams sometimes have brutal road trips (flight delays, etc., such as UD's trip to UNI a couple years ago, and Wofford at Montana that led to them getting home game against Richmond), and the committee is not going to ignore that.

I thought the top 4 teams, would NEVER have to play on the road (unless they are playing a higher rated seed amoung the 1 through 4 teams.)

Do not recall one ever having to play on the road. Are you sure? Does not even seem likely.

tribe_pride
November 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I thought the top 4 teams, would NEVER have to play on the road (unless they are playing a higher rated seed amoung the 1 through 4 teams.)

Do not recall one ever having to play on the road. Are you sure? Does not even seem likely.

Tribe is right. But as long as a seed submits the minimum bid they are guaranteed a playoff against an unseeded team or a worse seed. I think all seeded teams have always submitted the minimum bid so it has never been an issue.

The other scenario he was referring to has to do with games between 2 unseeded teams I believe.

TheValleyRaider
November 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM

2003, Colgate was seeded #4 and went on the road for the semifinals against unseeded Florida Atlantic

We didn't bid for the semifinals mostly because we didn't expect to be hosting a game that deep into the playoffs. It worked out alright, we got a trip to Florida in December (which is a nice weekend to step out of Hamilton) and a convincing win on TV over I-A-bound FAU to go to Chattanooga. A good time was had by all xthumbsupx

Native
November 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF
IF

If the Cats win out, they deserve a chance, but "8-3" is misleading. By winning out, Montana State will only have 7 DI wins.

joecooll6
November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

Ouch. That right there's a tough bracket.

appmountaineer
November 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Nice Job Texas Terror. At this point that looks about right to me.

MaximumBobcat
November 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
If TxSt wins out we'll be 8-3 (7-3). So does anybody besides TexasTerror think that we'll be left out?

Wins over #11 SFA, #19 UCA, (probably #8-9) McNeese

and FCS losses to #31 SELA and #34 SUU and FBS loss to undefeated TCU.

Native
November 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
If TxSt wins out we'll be 8-3 (7-3). So does anybody besides TexasTerror think that we'll be left out?

There are as many as a dozen credible bubble teams with a chance to finish with 7 DI wins and compete for the last one or two at-large bids.

None, including Texas State, will be slam dunks. See Joe Cool's analysis, below.

joecooll6
November 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Well you definately could be. SFA and UCA will be down lower in the rankings in that scenario and wouldn't look as good. If SUU loses to EWU they have a losing record out of the Great West, that doesnt look good, and SELA will be down in the rankings in that scenario as well.

You can't just look at what you've done, you've got to look at what everyone around the country has done. It depends on where you are relative to everyone else, so it would depend on teams like Delaware, Montana State, Eastern Washington, UNI, Liberty, etc, etc,

crossfire07
November 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM

I agree with TT. All you have to do is look at the NCAA's history in deciding such things about SLC teams especially when they do not have any tough OOC wins. I don't think teams like SELA ought to be in the playoffs even if they won every conference game. no 7 D1 wins no playoffs.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 8th, 2009, 03:12 PM
How is there not a single mention of the team that is essentially in the drivers seat in the Southland right now?? Stephen F Austin and McNeese will be in and SE LA and TX St out after McNeese beats TX St. SFA will be the auto bid team

txst80
November 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
How is there not a single mention of the team that is essentially in the drivers seat in the Southland right now?? Stephen F Austin and McNeese will be in and SE LA and TX St out after McNeese beats TX St. SFA will be the auto bid team

After watching both SFA and Southeastern play, most everybody in the Southland thinks Southeastern will win that game. Mcneese, UCA, and TxState fans were all more impressed by Southeastern. I'm sure pulling for SFA though.

MaximumBobcat
November 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I agree with TT. All you have to do is look at the NCAA's history in deciding such things about SLC teams especially when they do not have any tough OOC wins. I don't think teams like SELA ought to be in the playoffs even if they won every conference game. no 7 D1 wins no playoffs.

If TxSt beats McNeese this weekend and we both end up 7-3 in D1, I'm predicting TXST as an at-large before McNeese. If you guys are claiming you should get in because of your big win over APP St, we just beat you! So wouldn't our win against you be bigger than your win against APP? Can't argue with W's and L's. xnodx xrotatehx

But I stayed out of arguing with UCA fans last week, so I'll try to stay out of it with MSU fans this week....

tractorapp
November 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM
If the location is the same, I assure you the end result will be different:D

Well played my friend. I hope our two schools will start a regular season series in the near future. Good luck to you guys.

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
A third Big Sky Team would have the potential to take a bid or two away from the Southland.

Montana 11-0, Weber State 7-4, EWU 8-3

Weber would have the same # of DI wins as Texas State with wins over EWU, NAU and Cal Poly and EWU would have beat SUU who beat Texas state and also have wins over a ranked MSU and NAU. It would be a toss-up between Texas State and EWU in this scenario with Texas State perhaps having the more quality wins but losing to the common opponent

or

Montana 10-1, EWU 8-3, and MSU 8-3

MSU would have wins over a ranked Weber and top 5 Montana. Both teams would be finishing the season on 4 and 5 game winning streaks.

You can also look at the current GPI which might find the BSC finishing with the #2conference GPI when it's all said and done.

EWU - 12
SFA - 15
Weber - 17
NAU - 18
McNeese - 20
MSU - 26
Texas State - 32

Big Sky - 3
Southland - 6

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
This may not be the appropriate thread, but why is William and Mary ahead of UNH in the polls? Is UNH's 6-point loss at homecoming the difference? W&M's key wins are over Delaware, Virginia and James Madison, while UNH's key wins are over Villanova (beat Delaware and W&M), Ball State (another terrible FBS team, worse conference), and Hofstra (beat James Madison). Is the fact that W&M lost to 'Nova instead of UMass holding them up?

siuham
November 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
This may not be the appropriate thread, but why is William and Mary ahead of UNH in the polls? Is UNH's 6-point loss at homecoming the difference? W&M's key wins are over Delaware, Virginia and James Madison, while UNH's key wins are over Villanova (beat Delaware and W&M), Ball State (another terrible FBS team, worse conference), and Hofstra (beat James Madison). Is the fact that W&M lost to 'Nova instead of UMass holding them up?

Yes

Eight Legger
November 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I think that's it...and it's never an easy conclusion to reach when you have that kind of triangle. You could take the straightforward approach and say both have one loss but UNH beat Villanova and WM lost to Villanova head to head, or you could say they both have one loss, but WM's loss was to a solid team while UNH's loss was to a mediocre one. I think the pollsters are taking the latter approach here.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I find that baffling since we've crucified a few teams based on their "quality loss" argument. Shouldn't we be rewarding teams with the quality wins?

4th and What?
November 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Appalachian State
Eastern Washington
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

Not bad with the current state of affairs. Some questions I have though....

You list Elon as winning the SoCon, so if Elon wins this week, does App still get a bid? The best win will be winning big at Furman. After that, it drops off significantly. Losses to McNeese and needing to take Citadel to OT, with no top 25 win I think can keep them out, unless they are getting a bid, because they are App St.

Same question about UNI I have been saying all year, are they still getting a bid for almost beating Iowa? Winning by > 3 scores over Youngstown St is their best win, yes? Is that enough to get a bid?

Weber St not listed as a bubble team? Are they out? Wins over NAU and Cal Poly to finish out the year with a previous win @EWU and only FCS losses to Monatana and Mt St. I think they would at least deserve a look.

Also, I know there is no chance.....but if Butler finishes the season undefeated, do they even get a look? I really know nothing about the pioneer league but haven't seen it brought up really.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
App is pretty safely in because of the lack of quality available teams, IMO. Same with UNI if they win out.

4th and What?
November 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I find that baffling since we've crucified a few teams based on their "quality loss" argument. Shouldn't we be rewarding teams with the quality wins?

Yes, which is why UNH is in the top 5 in most people's polls. But a loss to UMass has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on. The overall drop of the CAA North as a whole over the season I'm sure has drug on UNH slightly as well.

If UNH didn't lose to UMass, you would see UNH as #1 this week, but losing to an ORV pushes UNH down more than losing to a top 3 team does to W&M. Yes quality wins should count strong, but they shouldn't overwhelm bad losses, more like balance them out.

igo4uni
November 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM
App is pretty safely in because of the lack of quality available teams, IMO. Same with UNI if they win out.

Let's hope so.

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM

I'll correct that and say they would both be in because of their wins against NCCU and St. Francis, PA versus EWU, Montana State, and Texas State's DII wins.

Other than that neither UNI or App has proven to be any more quality than the latter three teams. The lower halves of the MVFC and Southern are pretty poor this year and certainly no better than the BSC or the Southland.

siuham
November 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
If App State loses to Elon, they will have a basically identical resume as UNI. Two losses to the only two top 25 teams they faced, and a close FBS loss. Both teams would be relying on their names to get them into the playoffs.

Will it happen this year? Perhaps. If this were next year's expanded field, it'd be even more likely. But who knows, maybe the committee would disregard former glory and hold UNI or App State out at that point to get in other teams.

That said, I don't think many of those 'other teams' would give either a game worth watching.

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
If App State loses to Elon, they will have a basically identical resume as UNI. Two losses to the only two top 25 teams they faced, and a close FBS loss. Both teams would be relying on their names to get them into the playoffs.

Will it happen this year? Perhaps. If this were next year's expanded field, it'd be even more likely. But who knows, maybe the committee would disregard former glory and hold UNI or App State out at that point to get in other teams.

That said, I don't think many of those 'other teams' would give either a game worth watching.

Talk about relying on their names. xrolleyesx

siuham
November 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Kalm, I meant more teams ala Lafayette, Colgate, Liberty, an NEC team. The not Montana portion of the BSC and most of the Southland would be competitive.

unicat87
November 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Anytime, anywhere! :) -unicat87

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Kalm, I meant more teams ala Lafayette, Colgate, Liberty, an NEC team. The not Montana portion of the BSC and most of the Southland would be competitive.

That's cool and I was hoping that's what you meant. And for what it's worth they both should get an at-large nod ahead of any one in the BSC and probably the Southland. And I would favor them both by over a touchdown.

I just get a little chippy about western teams getting ignored. I also find it interesting as 4th and What? pointed out that neither UNI or Appy has a signature win yet. It's easy to just kind of assume their in.

appirishmen
November 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Automatic Bids

Bracket

William & Mary (3) Elon
Northern Iowa @ Richmond

i have an issue.....i still think the SoCon still cant be called. It should be Elon/App. that game is up in the air. App played a solid 1st half on defense. our offense had an off game. the two onside kicks got us rattled. o and in the bracket.... if App wins next week, does that put app at number 3 playing W@M and then Elon playing SCST?..i would like that.....

ASU_MBA
November 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I still think with the attendance at App and $$ the NCAA will get, if App wins out they get a seed....winning nine games in a row and two loses by a combined 9 points one without Edwards gets them a 3 or 4....

ToTheLeft
November 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Oh really now? We'd love a trip to Carbondale to see just how true that statement is, try us on that one.

tribe_pride
November 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
i have an issue.....i still think the SoCon still cant be called. It should be Elon/App. that game is up in the air. App played a solid 1st half on defense. our offense had an off game. the two onside kicks got us rattled. o and in the bracket.... if App wins next week, does that put app at number 3 playing W@M and then Elon playing SCST?..i would like that.....

If he was to do that (Elon/App), he would have to list 4 teams for the CAA (or at a minimum UNH and Villanova) and a number of other teams as well for other conferences as well. That would look too jumbled. He is making a judgment call on what he thinks is going to happen. He knows that it may not happen that way but he has to make a prediction on who you think is going to get the AQ in each conference.

As for who will play whom, because of regionalization, you have to assume that Elon, App. St, SC. St., Liberty, Richmond and W&M will play each other in the opening round. (Liberty is the one question mark about whether it will make the playoffs). If Liberty does not make it, one of Richmond or W&M will probably play Elon or App. St. and the other will play ?

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM
If your team was in the playoffs would you rather see ASU or UNI in your bracket or the second/third team from the Big Sky/Southland?

That is why ASU/UNI get in at 8-3.

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
If your team was in the playoffs would you rather see ASU or UNI in your bracket or the second/third team from the Big Sky/Southland?
That is why ASU/UNI get in at 8-3.Given the results of recent first-round match ups between 2nd Big Sky teams and "better" opponents, you might want to rethink that. xlolx

JMU Newbill
November 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
At this point I'd rather see ASU than UNI.

But then again, JMU doesn't have to concern themselves with that this year.

ToTheLeft
November 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
At this point I'd rather see ASU than UNI.

But then again, JMU doesn't have to concern themselves with that this year.

The computers favor UNI, however human nature favors App. So they wind up in the same boat, I guess.

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM

That is why ASU/UNI get in at 8-3.

I didn't realize that fear based on historical success was one of the criteria the committee uses.

xrolleyesx

ToTheLeft
November 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I didn't realize that fear based on historical success was one of the criteria the committee uses.

xrolleyesx

It's one of the top 5 fallacies that East Coast Power Conference fans use to push their way through arguments they can't win.

kalm
November 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
It's one of the top 5 fallacies that East Coast Power Conference fans use to push their way through arguments they can't win.

I might just find myself becoming a Liberty fan. xthumbsupx

ToTheLeft
November 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I might just find myself becoming a Liberty fan. xthumbsupx

We're in the same boat for different reasons... I am scared as crap of EWU taking a spot in the playoffs that we could have snuck into. It was much easier when we could just chalk you guys up as ineligible. xthumbsupx

Schfourteenteen
November 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
So true about EWU.

As for App State, The matchup of Armanti Edwards againd Liberty would probably make the difference in the game, just like the matchup between Liberty and WVU.

LakesBison
November 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM
after SDSU got pounded by SIU and then MINNESOTA next week, and beating UNI and NDSU thanks to a horse-bleep horrible field *(shared with the high school team mind you)* SDSU has to be the luckiest team in the country (and worse playoff team in fcs history)

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
after SDSU got pounded by SIU and then MINNESOTA next week, and beating UNI and NDSU thanks to a horse-bleep horrible field *(shared with the high school team mind you)* SDSU has to be the luckiest team in the country (and worse playoff team in fcs history)
SDSU hasn't got pounded by Minnesota yet. Paschall being suspended probably had more to do with the NDSU win than the field. The field didn't seem to bother the Salukis much.

LakesBison
November 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
thats cuz the BROOKINGS high school team went 1 and done in the playoffs and were done by your game. *(notice a trend in that town? with what i just said?)*

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2009, 09:56 PM

DELAWARE vs 'NOVA...WILL BE PLAYED 11/21.......YOU MAY HAVE MEANT JMU...BUT TA ADD TA YER THEORY.........UNH BEAT 'NOVA....WHO BEAT TEMPLE.....WHO BEAT NAVY....WHO BEAT NOTRA DAMUS....:)....AWK!!

PS.......'NOVA WILL LIKELY CHOKE DUH CHICKENS......ANYHOO!

unigriff
November 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The first game is the only one that matters for bidding...After that, the higher ranked/seeded team gets home field. If you are a top 4 seed, you automatically get homefield until you play a higher seed. It's pretty simple.

unigriff
November 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Which is for everything in their life, you sorry whiners. Must all be Yankee fans.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
The first game is the only one that matters for bidding...After that, the higher ranked/seeded team gets home field. If you are a top 4 seed, you automatically get homefield until you play a higher seed. It's pretty simple.Not if two unseeded teams meet in the second round. Being seeded doesn't guarantee a win in the first round.

Stupid Wofford....xnonono2x xlolx

UNI Pike
November 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Call me crazy, but anyone that doesn't think that the selection committee doesn't know what schools' bids are before they open the envelopes is kiddin' themselves. Everyone understands which teams historically have strong attendance (= more dollars to NCAA). That has to, on some level come into consideration. Not first in consideration, but maybe its the tie breaker down four or five levels.

ASU & UNI get in at 8-3 (this year) because they draw 12-18 K people to the opening round games. Both likely host if the geography works out. If their attendance was 3-5K per game, they would be on the outside looking in. As it is, both need help to back into the playoffs.

Also, uofmman1122's right, unigriff is mistaken on bids

4th and What?
November 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM
So true about EWU.

As for App State, The matchup of Armanti Edwards againd Liberty would probably make the difference in the game, just like the matchup between Liberty and WVU.

Armanti Edwards determined the outcome of Liberty and WVU? xeyebrowx He must be a MUCH better player than I give him credit for.

4th and What?
November 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I still think with the attendance at App and $$ the NCAA will get, if App wins out they get a seed....winning nine games in a row and two loses by a combined 9 points one without Edwards gets them a 3 or 4....

Not so sure about that. App needs help for a seed.

IMO....
An undefeated Montana is seeded above App.
An SIU team with it's only loss to Marshall is seeded above App.
A 10-1 Villanova with it's only loss to UNH, is seeded above App.
A 10-1 Richmond with it's only loss to Villanova is seeded above App.
A 10-1 W&M with it's only loss to Villanova is seeded above App.
A 10-1 UNH with it's only loss to UD.....probably gets seeded above App.

Obviously W&M still needs to play UNH and Richmond and any loss at this point losses a seed. I suppose if W&M sweeps UNH and Richmond, that would leave App open to a seed if Villanova loses to UD or Montana loses to Mt St. And of course this is all assuming App beats Elon....

Montana_Mojo
November 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Saturday did more to cloud the FCS playoff picture than to clarify it. But I'll give it my best.

And as I've stated before, Weber State will get in over Eastern Washington if they win out and Montana State loses to to Montana. Weber has the head to head win over Eastern Washington, and they've played a much tougher schedule.

Automatic Bids
SoCon: Appalachian State
Southland: SE Louisiana

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Elon
Weber State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

BRACKET 1

Holy Cross at #1 Villanova
South Dakota St at William & Mary

South Carolina St. at Appalachian St.
Elon at #4 Richmond

Bracket II

Eastern Illinois at #2 Southern Illinois
New Hampshire at Northern Iowa

Weber State at McNeese St
SE Louisiana at #3 Montana

Appattk
November 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM
In my humble opinion

Here's my updated list of "predictions" for this year's Playoffs.

CAA: Villanova
MEAC: SCSU
MVC: SIU
OVC: EIU
PAT: Holy Cross
SOCON: Elon
Southland: SF Austin

Seeds:
#1 SIU
#2 Montana
#3 Villanova
#4 William & Mary

The bracket

EIU@
#1 SIU

SF Austin @
SCSU

Richmond @
ASU

Elon @
#4 William & Mary

SDSU @
#2 Montana

EWU @
UNI

UNH @
McNeese St

Hoyl Cross @
#3 Villanova

Map http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=114669747911369135408&hl=en&gl=us

Game Predictions

Round 1
#1 SIU over EIU
SCSU over SF Austin
ASU over Richmond
#4 William & Mary over Elon
#2 Montana over SDSU
UNI over EWU
UNH over McNeese St
#3 Villanova over Holy Cross

Round 2
#1 SIU over SCSU
ASU over #4 William & Mary
#2 Montana over UNI
#3 Villanova over UNH

Round 3
#1 SIU over ASU
#3 Villanova over #2 Montana

Championship
#3 Villanova over #1 SIU

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2009, 09:49 AM
In my humble opinion

Seeds:
#1 SIU
#2 Montana
#3 Villanova
#4 William & Mary

The bracket

EIU@
#1 SIU

SF Austin @
SCSU

Richmond @
ASU

Elon @
#4 William & Mary

SDSU @
#2 Montana

EWU @
UNI

UNH @
McNeese St

Hoyl Cross @
#3 Villanova

Game Predictions

Round 1
#1 SIU over EIU
SCSU over SF Austin
ASU over Richmond
#2 Montana over SDSU
UNI over EWU
UNH over McNeese St

Round 2
#1 SIU over SCSU
#2 Montana over UNI
#3 Villanova over UNH

Round 3
#1 SIU over ASU

Championship
#3 Villanova over #1 SIU

Now you have a very interesting bracket. But I can't find any fault with it. Well maybe UNH traveling to Texas, but heck the committee seems to find a way to get them out of NH.

I think the NCAA will figure out someway to get the money from the SCSU fans. I'm sorry, I can't see them sending them to play App again. That happens in D2, not D1.

Redbird Ray
November 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Total homer question here, but I thought I would ask the experts here. If Illinois State wins out, and defeats Northern Iowa the last game of the season and both teams finish 7-4, does ISU take their place as an at large? Or does UNI still get a bid with the close call at Iowa still on voters minds? Or does the Valley only get 2 teams?

My case for ISU:

1) 5 straight wins to close out the season

2) FBS loss and three FCS loses to EIU, SDSU, and SIU all likely playoff bound.

3) Decent size institution and fanbase could be good for ratings/attendance (I know, I'm stretching here)

I would appreciate any thoughts? Thanks!

unialum95
November 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Total homer question here, but I thought I would ask the experts here. If Illinois State wins out, and defeats Northern Iowa the last game of the season and both teams finish 7-4, does ISU take their place as an at large? Or does UNI still get a bid with the close call at Iowa still on voters minds? Or does the Valley only get 2 teams?

My case for ISU:

1) 5 straight wins to close out the season

2) FBS loss and three FCS loses to EIU, SDSU, and SIU all likely playoff bound.

3) Decent size institution and fanbase could be good for ratings/attendance (I know, I'm stretching here)

I would appreciate any thoughts? Thanks!

Neither team makes it in that scenario.

MSU_77
November 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
In my humble opinion

Seeds:
#1 SIU
#2 Montana
#3 Villanova
#4 William & Mary

The bracket

EIU@
#1 SIU

SF Austin @
SCSU

Richmond @
ASU

Elon @
#4 William & Mary

SDSU @
#2 Montana

EWU @
UNI

UNH @
McNeese St

Hoyl Cross @
#3 Villanova

Game Predictions

Round 1
#1 SIU over EIU
SCSU over SF Austin
ASU over Richmond
#2 Montana over SDSU
UNI over EWU
UNH over McNeese St

Round 2
#1 SIU over SCSU
#2 Montana over UNI
#3 Villanova over UNH

Round 3
#1 SIU over ASU

Championship
#3 Villanova over #1 SIU

A good possibility that SFA loses at SLU this weekend. If that happens, MSU @ Tex St becomes very important and may determine whether the SLC gets two teams into the playoffs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Now you have a very interesting bracket. But I can't find any fault with it. Well maybe UNH traveling to Texas, but heck the committee seems to find a way to get them out of NH.

Wile E.,

McNeese is in Louisiana, but it's mighty close to Texas!! ;) :)

Yeah, UNH gets that "as long as they're flying, it doesn't make a difference where" treatment!! xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx GaSoU and Montana in 2004, Hampton in 2006, Northern Iowa in 2007 and Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa in 2008. xoopsx xwhistlex xwhistlex

ToTheLeft
November 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
My picks (based on predictions of future events):

CAA: William and Mary
PAT: Lafayette
Southland: S.F.A.

At-Larges:
Villanova
Richmond
New Hampshire
South Dakota State
McNeese State
Appalachian State
Liberty
UNI

Those Missing Out:
Weber State- Loses to Cal Poly
Eastern Washington- Loses to SUU
Montana State- Loses to Griz
Northern Arizona- Loses to EWU
Delaware- Loses to Navy, beats Nova

Brackets

EIU at #1 SIU
Richmond at App

UNH at #4 Elon
Lafayette at Nova

SFA at #2 Griz
McNeese at SDSU

Liberty at #3 William and Mary
SCSU at UNI

I am a noob at the brackets, but I tried at least... haha.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Wile E.,

McNeese is in Louisiana, but it's mighty close to Texas!! ;) :)

Yeah, UNH gets that "as long as they're flying, it doesn't make a difference where" treatment!! xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx GaSoU and Montana in 2004, Hampton in 2006, Northern Iowa in 2007 and Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa in 2008. xoopsx xwhistlex xwhistlex

Whoops. . slip of the tongue. I knew that too. . call it my dunce moment for today. xlolx
xwhistlexxoopsx

UNI Pike
November 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Saturday did more to cloud the FCS playoff picture than to clarify it. But I'll give it my best.

And as I've stated before, Weber State will get in over Eastern Washington if they win out and Montana State loses to to Montana. Weber has the head to head win over Eastern Washington, and they've played a much tougher schedule.

Automatic Bids
SoCon: Appalachian State
Southland: SE Louisiana

At-Large
New Hampshire
Richmond
William & Mary
South Dakota State
Elon
Weber State
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

BRACKET 1

Holy Cross at #1 Villanova
South Dakota St at William & Mary

South Carolina St. at Appalachian St.
Elon at #4 Richmond

Bracket II

Eastern Illinois at #2 Southern Illinois
New Hampshire at Northern Iowa

Weber State at McNeese St
SE Louisiana at #3 Montana

Aah, the annual match-up - when does UNI get its honorary CAA north membership?

Also, I think SDSU may sneak a host in, as they are averaging 12K + per game, and would count on more for the playoffs. The "stadium" is not so good though.

jimbo65
November 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The Patriot League always seems to get the opening round v. A-10 & now the CAA. First playoff appearance played Northeastern away and then Nova away. Second playoff appearance played UMass away.

I don't doubt that either LaFayette or H Cross will draw Nova. Is the reason to save $ for tha participants. Actually the placement worked well as the Fordham fans had relatively short trips to Neastern & Nova. Did not attend UMass game so I don't know if we had a turnout or for that matter how far Amherst is. Listened to the game on the radio which was a real shootout.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Aah, the annual match-up - when does UNI get its honorary CAA north membership?

Also, I think SDSU may sneak a host in, as they are averaging 12K + per game, and would count on more for the playoffs. The "stadium" is not so good though.

Attendence at SDSU was a whopping 150 less per game than UNI, both around 13.5K/game. If Jackrabbits have the opportunity to host, they will draw a good crowd for the FIRST D-I championship play-off game in SD. xthumbsupx

For example, the FIRST post-season WOMEN's NIT berth, SDSU sold out Frost Arena in A DAY. Played before 6K +. Richmond, 'Nova, UNH, Elon, SFA do not have the capacities to outbid SDSU without a HUGE out of pocket payment. Even though Jacks didn't show it vs Salukis, Coughlin is a TOUGH place to get a win.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
SFA may have the $$$ to contend with SDSU...

I really do not think it will be much of an issue for the Jacks to compete with most schools in the mix for the playoffs...

Aho_Old_Guy
November 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM

I think what is going to hold you back is you didn't play Richmond, JMU or UD.

It's no fault of your own but that is one downside of the current CAA.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM

How much better are Richmond, JMU and UD as a group compaired with Villanova, WM and Towson?

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
How much better are Richmond, JMU and UD as a group compaired with Villanova, WM and Towson?

Yea, it seems like this year, the tougher three is the latter (Towson notwithtanding). Although I guess you could make an argument that Towson is almost a guaranteed win while neither JMU nor UD is a lock.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah, this year, it didn't really matter what part of the CAA South you were playing. UNH didn't get any breaks in the schedule in that regard. In prior years you could surely argue some CAA North teams missing a gauntlet, but this year the two different groups of teams to play in the CAA South were fairly comparable.

RabidRabbit
November 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
SFA may have the $$$ to contend with SDSU...

I really do not think it will be much of an issue for the Jacks to compete with most schools in the mix for the playoffs...

Attendence figures through 11/07 for FCS.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Jackrabbits #19 with 13265/game

SFA 'Jacks #26 with 11688/game

Aho_Old_Guy
November 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Sorry for not making myself more clear.

Richmond, JMU, UD, 'Nova and W&M play each other --- UNH has only played one of the 'Murderer's Row' of the CAA South with one game pending.

As an outsider looking in --- even if you beat W&M and lay claim to a CAA 'co-championship' you will not have played the 3 other power teams from the South.

That gives the committee: 1) A reason not to seed you; and 2) Another reason to send you on the road.

It's no fault of yours --- your schedule works both for you and against you.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry for not making myself more clear.

Richmond, JMU, UD, 'Nova and W&M play each other --- UNH has only played one of the 'Murderer's Row' of the CAA South with one game pending.

As an outsider looking in --- even if you beat W&M and lay claim to a CAA 'co-championship' you will not have played the 3 other power teams from the South.

That gives the committee: 1) A reason not to seed you; and 2) Another reason to send you on the road.

It's no fault of yours --- your schedule works both for you and against you.

JMU is clearly not a power team in the CAA South this year and unless UD beats nova I wouldn't call them a power team either. Richmond, W&M, and nova, were the clear 3 best teams in the CAA South this year. JMU and UD (barring something miraculous on UD's part) were a step behind. And Towson was about 10,000 steps behind them. xthumbsupx

Khan4Cats
November 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Attendence at SDSU was a whopping 150 less per game than UNI, both around 13.5K/game. If Jackrabbits have the opportunity to host, they will draw a good crowd for the FIRST D-I championship play-off game in SD. xthumbsupx

For example, the FIRST post-season WOMEN's NIT berth, SDSU sold out Frost Arena in A DAY. Played before 6K +. Richmond, 'Nova, UNH, Elon, SFA do not have the capacities to outbid SDSU without a HUGE out of pocket payment. Even though Jacks didn't show it vs Salukis, Coughlin is a TOUGH place to get a win.

A factor that is not being mentioned is the new SDSU AD. He has some experience, I would assume, with putting in play-off bids from his time at UNI. He'll know what kind of a bid to put in.

The bigger issue for SDSU will be how the other at-larges match up on the geography scale.

A second Southland team would likely get the draw of being sent to Missoula (or even a Southland champ if it is Texas State or Southeastern). If there is only one Southland team (SFA wins out, McNeese beats Texas St but loses to UCA), then SDSU could end up with the flight to Missoula. Even if SDSU avoids Montana, they could get matched with McNeese, and I don't think they can out-bid them. I think SDSU can out-bid a second Big Sky team if that is the match-up.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
If we beat WM (and thats a HUGE if) and finish at 10-1 I still don't see us getting a seed provided Montana, SIU, and Nova all win out and the winner of the Elon/App game doesn't stumble. We'll be 10-1, #5, and on the road the Saturday after Thanksgiving.xmadx

bcrawf
November 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
A factor that is not being mentioned is the new SDSU AD. He has some experience, I would assume, with putting in play-off bids from his time at UNI. He'll know what kind of a bid to put in.

The bigger issue for SDSU will be how the other at-larges match up on the geography scale.

A second Southland team would likely get the draw of being sent to Missoula (or even a Southland champ if it is Texas State or Southeastern). If there is only one Southland team (SFA wins out, McNeese beats Texas St but loses to UCA), then SDSU could end up with the flight to Missoula. Even if SDSU avoids Montana, they could get matched with McNeese, and I don't think they can out-bid them. I think SDSU can out-bid a second Big Sky team if that is the match-up.

Couldn't we have the Southland Champ for once...:D:D

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
If we beat WM (and thats a HUGE if) and finish at 10-1 I still don't see us getting a seed provided Montana, SIU, and Nova all win out and the winner of the Elon/App game doesn't stumble. We'll be 10-1, #5, and on the road the Saturday after Thanksgiving.xmadx

Welcome to our 2006 (well, minus the 10-1, but you get the picture).

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM

2004 for us

I remember YSU right? You guys got porked.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM

2004 for us

I remember YSU right? You guys got porked.

How did JMU get porked in 2006? They were 9-2, which is good, but not a mortal lock for a seed. They didn't win the A10 that year (UMass did) so they ran into the problem of trying to get a second seed for the conference. And while YSU was a seed, that was a beatable YSU team that year. JMU should've beaten them.

Khan4Cats
November 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Couldn't we have the Southland Champ for once...:D:D

Well, my thinking is that I could see a "western" pod system of:

seeds (1/4 or 2/3): Montana and SIU
SIU would be matched with the OVC champ (likely EIU)
Montana would be matched with a Southland team (SELA, TxST, SFA, McNeese-in that order)
UNI would be in the pod with SIU against the 'best' team from the Southland (reverse the order I used for Montana's opponent) or a second Big Sky team
SDSU would be opposite Montana and face a second Big Sky team or the second Southland, or even a CAA squad like a William & Mary or UNH.