PDA

View Full Version : "F" bomb dropped during game

lvgrizfan
November 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM
The broadcasters during the Villanova at Richmond games live broadcast dropped the "F" bomb after the kicker missed the FG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlrFVRKqUsk

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 8th, 2009, 01:17 AM
ummm wow.

KiddBrewer
November 8th, 2009, 01:30 AM
ummmm i call bullsh....

joecooll6
November 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Are you trying to be funny or trying to fool us? Either way.....fail.

HiHiYikas
November 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Read some of the last few posts in the Richmond at Villanova thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1458211#post1458211)...this actually did happen on the UR-Nova game broadcast. Lots of us in the Mid-Atlantic saw it and heard it on Comcast sports net.

It wasn't the announcers, though. It was audio coming in from another source. Not sure where it was coming from.

UNHFan
November 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM
It happened! Live... a Microphone went live that wasn't supposed to. Kid said ""Come on end this ****ing thing already" And it was loud... so i am thinking its a student camera man. It wasnt back ground talk this kid had to have a microphone right to his mouth. And also you can tell he didnt know he was live. And that feed was live for a like 1 minute plus... how the hell did did the control booth not cut it asap? Its not like they where piloting a SouthWest flight to Minneapolis

ronpayne
November 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
It happened! Live... a Microphone went live that wasn't supposed to. Kid said ""Come on end this ****ing thing already" And it was loud... so i am thinking its a student camera man. It wasnt back ground talk this kid had to have a microphone right to his mouth. And also you can tell he didnt know he was live. And that feed was live for a like 1 minute plus... how the hell did did the control booth not cut it asap? Its not like they where piloting a SouthWest flight to Minneapolis

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Pards Rule
November 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Yeah you could tell it was a feed from outside the booth...and you could hear the kid whistling at the end too.

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah you could tell it was a feed from outside the booth...and you could hear the kid whistling at the end too.

the final countdown xlolxxlolx

elontom
November 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I think you meant Northwest aka Northworst.

ASU_Fanatic
November 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
ok...wow

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Are you trying to be funny or trying to fool us? Either way.....fail.

Its real buddy

93henfan
November 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Its real buddy

Yep. I have it on DVR!

93henfan
November 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Clearly a Philly person that dropped the bomb too. The telltale "what a bum" and "c'mawwwwn". Heard it thousands of times at The Vet. xlolx

ngineer
November 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Read some of the last few posts in the Richmond at Villanova thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1458211#post1458211)...this actually did happen on the UR-Nova game broadcast. Lots of us in the Mid-Atlantic saw it and heard it on Comcast sports net.

It wasn't the announcers, though. It was audio coming in from another source. Not sure where it was coming from.

Yes, I heard it too, and definitely sounded like it was coming from some other source than the announcers. Almost sounded like they were picking up someone speaking in a nearby coaches box.

ur2k
November 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
worst part is, we (Ur fans) agree

Dukie95
November 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM
The funny thing is, this was right after UR missed the FG...the game was going to end at about the same time, regardless. It's not like that miss extended the game into OT or something.

knucklehead
November 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
What a tool. He is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL announcer. That is unreal.

Dukie95
November 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Well, it wasn't the announcer. It was someone else working the game (camera man, someone in the truck, etc.) with a hot mic.

spdram
November 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM
The FCC should fine Comcast for that one, someone should lose their job. No excuse for that! Starts off calling th kicker a bum after the miss then end the f...g game. I did not recognize the voice as any Richmond regulars, assume not a Nova regular so must have been Comcast.

DoublePar
November 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Someone else captured it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFfL0RIQ-qI

tribe_pride
November 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The FCC should fine Comcast for that one, someone should lose their job. No excuse for that! Starts off calling th kicker a bum after the miss then end the f...g game. I did not recognize the voice as any Richmond regulars, assume not a Nova regular so must have been Comcast.

Because CSN is not a network but a cable station, does this make a difference? I know the FCC has less control (but still some I am pretty sure) over cable stations.

DoublePar
November 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
There are about 5 copies of it now up on youtube. Lol.

I feel bad for the kicker for not only missing the kick, but that he'll be remembered for being associated with the bonehead announcer or cameraman or whomever that was.

Hail Our Panthers
November 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
the final countdown xlolxxlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFfL0RIQ-qI
Notice that The Final Countdown was playing before the play.

GreatAppSt
November 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Clearly a Philly person that dropped the bomb too. The telltale "what a bum" and "c'mawwwwn". Heard it thousands of times at The Vet. xlolx

You nailed it.xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

GATA
November 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Somebody should lose their job for dropping an F Bomb?

You're a guy who has his priorities straight. xrolleyesx

joecooll6
November 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
My bad. My apologies. It sounded doctored.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Reprint of my comments from the original thread. It could have been audio from the coaches' box, but I think it was definitely someone in the Comcast truck that will now probably be out of a job.

BTW, I have the video (VCR tape) of the whole thing. Had I a functioning computer, I probably would have put it up too.

My wife and I heard this too - and my six year old son. thankfully, did not. Hilarious yes - but heads should roll over it, no question. I mean, it blurted out during a replay of the most pivotal play of the game - the missed FG! This wasn't during a UMass/URI blowout or a Nova/W&M game that wasn't that exciting. This was during the final play of the game of the year in FCS!

Our theory was that it was someone at ComcastSN HQ, since that Flyers pregame was so important... It would make sense in a messed-up sort of way since the game ran late and the Flyers were due to come on in 15 minutes.

Adding more support to this theory is the fact that (in Philly anyway) they cut away almost immediately after the clock read 0:00 to go to Flyers pregame.

I was so curious, I pulled the tape and listened to it again.

As he was lining up to the FG, there was a huge sigh by someone, as well as "He's going to miss it."

Then the audio says "He missed it".

Then, "What a bum. End this f-ing game! Ugh! Let's go home already." (Whistling Final Countdown)

This was definitely a case of the audio from the guy in the truck getting superimposed on the commentary from the announcers. The announcers are totally innocent. At the same time, ComcastSN DID cut back almost immediately after the clock read 0:00. I never heard the apology.

Dukie95
November 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
ComcastSN DID cut back almost immediately after the clock read 0:00. I never heard the apology.

Comcast Mid Atlantic (Washington, DC) stayed with the game a bit longer and they delivered the apology....we didn't have a flyers game to catch.

blukeys
November 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
It didn't sound like either play by play guy. For TV and radio, there are technical directors who have access to a microphone because they are communicating with the camera guys and the technical staff in the control room. These Mikes can be put over the air (though they rarely are) with a flick of a switch. This could have just also been the voice of a guy charged with breaking down and packing up the equipment who said what he was thinking without realizing there was an open mike around.

JMU Newbill
November 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
As first reported/posted by.........

Philliesfan980
November 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Honestly, everyone makes a mistake. From the sound of it, it was a young guy who was working in the truck, trying to get his foot in the door and possibly make it in this business. Chances are, he probably wasn't even the one who activated his mic on the air.

I think we should give this guy a pass. Chances are, he'll NEVER do it again. If he's canned, this would probably ruin any chance he has in this business.

blukeys
November 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Honestly, everyone makes a mistake. From the sound of it, it was a young guy who was working in the truck, trying to get his foot in the door and possibly make it in this business. Chances are, he probably wasn't even the one who activated his mic on the air.

I think we should give this guy a pass. Chances are, he'll NEVER do it again. If he's canned, this would probably ruin any chance he has in this business.

It's probably worse than that. It could be a student who is doing it for academic credit. I disagree with those who think it was a Philly fan. A Philly fan would have been rooting for Nova (unless they went to school at Temple, St.Joe's, LaSalle, Drexel, Penn, Lehigh, Lafayette, Delaware, Widener, Rowan, Swarthmore, Bucknell...Ok it could have been someone from Philly.xsmiley_wix;)xrolleyesx)

Many times support staff are recruited from the Local schools Communications Programs for go'fer jobs such as setting up and breaking down cameras, microphones, PA equipment, switching electronics etc.. The set up and breakdown jobs involve a lot of laying down cables making sure everything is connected and works, in short, grunt work. It is not uncommon for some of this work of breaking down to begin near the end of the broadcast so folks can get a start at going home. For a 4 hour broadcast I would expect technical staff to put in from 8.5 to 10 hours for a remote location such as a football game.

Even on air personalities have made mistakes regarding microphones that they thought were off. Technical staff who have not had experience with these types of electronics at times do not realize just how "hot" a broadcast quality microphone can be. Especially, if it is a condenser Mike.

Form the comments made I probably don't have to tell anyone that TV guys are also fans and have opinions about sports figures who fail to perform.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Even on air personalities have made mistakes regarding microphones that they thought were off. Technical staff who have not had experience with these types of electronics at times do not realize just how "hot" a broadcast quality microphone can be. Especially, if it is a condenser Mike.

Lost in all this, though, was the context. This was a big game: No. 4 vs No. 1. A big CAA game. And it was the final play of the game. There was simply no respect for the game being played, or the broadcast by the guy in the truck.

FCS guys are always looking for respect for their subdivision. What if this had been No. 4 vs. No. 1 in FBS? A 7-0 NFL team versus a 6-1 team? I don't think "End this f-ing thing" makes the air." There would be blood. No question! Intern or not!

If we want to be treated with respect, we need to insist that the TV folks need to treat the broadcast with the respect they would accord another event. IMO, the mistake was inexcusable.

Bettina90
November 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Lost in all this, though, was the context. This was a big game: No. 4 vs No. 1. A big CAA game. And it was the final play of the game. There was simply no respect for the game being played, or the broadcast by the guy in the truck.

FCS guys are always looking for respect for their subdivision. What if this had been No. 4 vs. No. 1 in FBS? A 7-0 NFL team versus a 6-1 team? I don't think "End this f-ing thing" makes the air." There would be blood. No question! Intern or not!

If we want to be treated with respect, we need to insist that the TV folks need to treat the broadcast with the respect they would accord another event. IMO, the mistake was inexcusable.

What a ridiculous post, profanity has made it on the air on any number of larger networks and it always just ends with an apology. I believe Bert Blyleven did something similar coming out of a break on a Major League Baseball Twins game. He apologized and still has a job. Quit making a big deal out of it, it's the nature of a live broadcast.

JMU Newbill
November 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Did anyone else just laugh when it happened? I mean ****, the guy made a mistake, but it was pretty darn funny.

Hopefully you aren't all that old and tight wadded that you make a big deal out of it.

Would I want my kids to hear him say that? No. Do I personally think its hilarious... hell yea. Should he see some form of punishment... yea... whatever is deemed fair.

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making, and I don't think he should lose his job. I might be in the minority that believes that certain words don't carry an inherit "badness" when you say them.

People cuss all the time in the real world. I cuss all the f-ing time (I'd write it if the forum allowed me. xlolx) Some guy doing his real-world job, talking like we do in the real world got accidentally put onto the fake television world where certain words, if said, harm innocent children by "teaching" them words they probably already know and use.

Face it, most kids know every bad word and use them daily with their friends before they even leave elementary school. I did, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that almost every one here did too. xcoffeex

I wouldn't fire this guy, and the only reason I'd issue an apology on air is to fend off the incoming ***** storm from overprotective and ignorant parents.

xtwocentsx

appirishmen
November 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
haha. i was half listing to the game when this happened....i had to rewind it to make sure what i heard. i fell off the couch laughing!!! it was soooo funny.

Anovafan
November 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I thought it was hilarious, some need to relax. It was on cable so I doubt any fines will fly from the FCC. The amazing thing was the guy was completely prophetic, he called the missed FG before it happened. If I had to guess, it was from one of the boom mics on the sidelines as he was packing it up. He probably forgot to turn it off.

Digby
November 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I was also listening, it was about 6:34 p.m. ET. I was flipping around to see how Weis was spinning the latest ND disaster. I think the kid, the voice sounded like a man about 20 or a little older, said something that was not inflammatory then the ``What a bum. Just end this f'n game'' and it was so clear it was as if he were in the room with me.
So it had to be somebody in production either in the truck or studio. I can only guess that one of the internal communications channels went on the air. I have seen if Comcast has commented.
It was pretty darn funny. Then Comcast I think switched away from the game to the studio in a hurry.

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Did anyone else just laugh when it happened? I mean ****, the guy made a mistake, but it was pretty darn funny.

Hopefully you aren't all that old and tight wadded that you make a big deal out of it.

Would I want my kids to hear him say that? No. Do I personally think its hilarious... hell yea. Should he see some form of punishment... yea... whatever is deemed fair.

NOT FUNNY...AH HAD RICHMOND...IN DUH GO HENS POOL...xsmhx...AWK!

MacThor
November 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I thought it was hilarious too. I'm not offended by language.

However, the bum should be fired. For incompetence. C'maaaaaaaaawn.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I thought it was hilarious too. I'm not offended by language.

However, the bum should be fired. For incompetence. C'maaaaaaaaawn.It probably wasn't his fault, so why should he be fired? xeyebrowx

MacThor
November 9th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It probably wasn't his fault, so why should he be fired? xeyebrowx

Because he's a bum. C'maaaaaaawn, let's end his f***ing career already.

txst80
November 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The video was just shown on Jimmy Kimmel's late night show

UNHFan
November 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM
What was the reason?? One of his Censor skits? Please tell us more Thanks

txst80
November 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
What was the reason?? One of his Censor skits? Please tell us more Thanks

It was in the monologue. I guess it was just funny to them. They showed it, censored of course, then moved on. When the guy said "lets go home", Kimmel said he probably can stay at home cause he won't have to go to work anymore.