PDA

View Full Version : A Funny thing happened on the way to the second half!!

rOryOs-ASU
December 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
As i was out under the stands standing beside an ASU bandmember during the half, an edgy but somewhat calm fan came up and started challenging the bandmember to get them going telling him how much they influenced things, how importent they were to the team and game! Said he was a former player on the 95 team and showed his ring to the bandmember!!! They left and went different ways with the bandmember assuring him he would, and the second half started!!

Today reading some of the articles of the game and weekend i came across this by Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer which i thought was interesting!!

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - There were a lot of fine postgame moments here after Appalachian State won its first Division I-AA national championship late Friday night.

The field-storming. The flag-waving. The coach-hugging.

But my favorite one came in the news conference afterward when Mountaineers quarterback Richie Williams, unprompted, said something I've never heard a college football player say before in that setting.

He thanked the Appalachian State band.

http://goasu.com/?page=202&article=6282&fromPage=137

Thanks to that bandmember and that former player for somehow helping Gettin R Done!! :hurray: :hyped: :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I'm under the impression that if the band plays at the appropriate times and not throughout the entire game, they can make a difference in the game especially if they are successful in getting the crowd into it...

bandl
December 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
As i was out under the stands standing beside an ASU bandmember during the half, an edgy but somewhat calm fan came up and started challenging the bandmember to get them going telling him how much they influenced things, how importent they were to the team and game! Said he was a former player on the 95 team and showed his ring to the bandmember!!! They left and went different ways with the bandmember assuring him he would, and the second half started!!

Today reading some of the articles of the game and weekend i came across this by Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer which i thought was interesting!!

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - There were a lot of fine postgame moments here after Appalachian State won its first Division I-AA national championship late Friday night.

The field-storming. The flag-waving. The coach-hugging.

But my favorite one came in the news conference afterward when Mountaineers quarterback Richie Williams, unprompted, said something I've never heard a college football player say before in that setting.

He thanked the Appalachian State band.

http://goasu.com/?page=202&article=6282&fromPage=137

Thanks to that bandmember and that former player for somehow helping Gettin R Done!! :hurray: :hyped: :hurray:
Fantastic story. The '12th man' helps out!! :beerchug:

AppFootballAlum
December 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Nice Story - as a former player, I can remember times when the ASU band did play an active and positive role

NoCoDanny
December 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM
They have great camps too.

http://www.cinescape.com/multimedia/Master_Site/Movies/Master_SiteMovies277487.jpg

catbob
December 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Ah, the title of this thread sounded like a quote from "My Fellow Americans."

A funny thing happened on the way here tonight. I was elected president of the United States!

:beerchug:

SoCon48
December 20th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Nice Story - as a former player, I can remember times when the ASU band did play an active and positive role

The Waltzing Tubas
The band led cheers, etc
The Olympic theme
2001 Space odyssey
We Will Rock You

AppFootballAlum
December 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
The Waltzing Tubas
The band led cheers, etc
The Olympic theme
2001 Space odyssey
We Will Rock You

That reminds me - playing in the first game - my freshman year on the first kickoff of the year, I remember hearing the Olympic theme and getting chills and feeling inspired and pumped.