PDA

View Full Version : SoCon picks for Week #11 (Nov 14th)

The Cats
November 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Only two weeks left of SoCon regular season play xbawlingx

It appears the SoCon regular season champ will be determined at the end of the day as well........

1:00 pm
Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky

1:30 pm
Samford at Wofford

2:00 pm
Furman at Georgia Southern

The Citadel at Chattanooga

3:00 pm
Appalachian State at Elon

KiddBrewer
November 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Eastern Kentucky

Wofford

Furman

Push

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
EKU over WCU 21-10. Western looks ahead to the Jug Game.

Wofford over Sammy 32-21. Woffy continue improvement.

Furman over GaSo in the Diamond Bowl 27-24 in what could be the last game against each other under current regimes for both teams.

Chatty over a tanking El Cit 35-17. UTC will be tough and a potential playoff team next year.

No prediction til Wednesday on the last one.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Western surprises everyone and gets the upset
App over Elon by some, but not a lot
GSU takes down Furman
The Citadel rebounds against Chatty and gets the W

3E9App
November 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM
WCU pulls out an upset

Samford at Wofford
By 21

Furman just can't pull it together.

Chatty just keeps getting better.

By 3 in a last second game winning FG

DX Man
November 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM

Samford at Wofford

catamount man
November 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Western Carolina
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Chattanooga
Appalachian State

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
EKU
Wofford
Furman
The Citadel
App

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
EKU
Wofford
Furman
The Citadel
App

Wow. Not one pick for Elon. Interesting. I would have thought Woffy fans would have picked Elon. You were actually in the game with App. for awhile.
My picks: Woffy, Furman, El Cid, ELON

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Wow. Not one pick for Elon. Interesting. I would have thought Woffy fans would have picked Elon. You were actually in the game with App. for awhile.
My picks: Woffy, Furman, El Cid, ELON

Nothing personal, I just have this weird feeling about Armanti and co. this year (well, since my team isn't going to the playoffs)

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I can't get a feel for the Elon game yet. App is a weird team and App is dynamic. Neither team has faced a team like the other yet. I am just not sure. My gut says App. My heart says Elon. I just don''t know.

theasushow
November 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I can't get a feel for the Elon game yet. App is a weird team and App is dynamic. Neither team has faced a team like the other yet. I am just not sure. My gut says App. My heart says Elon. I just don''t know.

i think a lot of people share the same sentiment. i really think APP's best is better than Elon's best, but we havent seen APP's best much this year. too close to call, i think if it was at KBS it would def. give APP an advantage. but it's not, so i plead the 5th. :D

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I really have no clue about this game. Both teams are very good and pretty evenly matched. It's so cliche for games like this... but, whoever doesn't turn it over, committ penalties, makes clutch plays, etc. will win. It's impossible to predict who that will be.

GATA
November 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I guarantee Georgia Southern gets blown out of the water. Furman will have no trouble beating that awful team.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I really have no clue about this game. Both teams are very good and pretty evenly matched. It's so cliche for games like this... but, whoever doesn't turn it over, committ penalties, makes clutch plays, etc. will win. It's impossible to predict who that will be.

App is dynamic and has the ability on paper. UTC shut you guys down for 2 quarters, and out of nowhere Moore and Edwards kill. I watched on channel surfing.net. That's huge. The line looks good. Just don't understand why the O looked flat for so long for you guys when that type of ability sparks out of nowhere like it did.

I think the pluses for Elon have been control. We've been very successful in controlling games and been very successful in being consistent. And that might prove out to be true Saturday. But App is still going to have that explosive dynamic that I am not sure we'll contain. Which evens out that consistency.

Ugh, I just don't know.

I say App wins. Streak continues, and the old school boys will dish it out to us for another year.

Saint3333
November 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Anyone that watched ASU today would not bet on the black and gold. I agree with GP (strange I know) on paper ASU is scary good. IMO ASU's best game is as good as anyone in the FCS, unfortunately we only see it for a half most games. Half a game against a defense and offense like Elon's isn't going to cut it. My hope if ASU gets up for this game like they did for the Wofford game last year. The boys tend to respond when the lights are bright.

appirishmen
November 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
ok app and elon fans votes do not count. we all know that app fans will pick app and elon fans will pick app. with that said heres mine.

Eastern Kentucky

Wofford

Furman

Chattanooga

If App can play a full game and the defense play like they did against FU and GSU, App will win by 7. BUT if App plays like they did today.... Elon will kill us.....by 14. All in all. this game is a throw up. any team can win. lets just hope for no cheap shots and no injures.

appirishmen
November 7th, 2009, 11:13 PM
App is dynamic and has the ability on paper. UTC shut you guys down for 2 quarters, and out of nowhere Moore and Edwards kill. I watched on channel surfing.net. That's huge. The line looks good. Just don't understand why the O looked flat for so long for you guys when that type of ability sparks out of nowhere like it did.

I think the pluses for Elon have been control. We've been very successful in controlling games and been very successful in being consistent. And that might prove out to be true Saturday. But App is still going to have that explosive dynamic that I am not sure we'll contain. Which evens out that consistency.

Ugh, I just don't know.

I say App wins. Streak continues, and the old school boys will dish it out to us for another year.

we have a BAD habit to let off when we get up big. we rolled in the first half mostly.( from what i could hear on the radio). It sounds like that the two onside kicks got us spooked and caught us off guard. if we recovered those, it would have been a different game. IMO, i think we made no adjustments at halftime and just had a bad half. every team has those. AE had a bad day. lets hope we got the bad day out of our system before next week.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
If App can play a full game and the defense play like they did against FU and GSU, App will win by 7. BUT if App plays like they did today.... Elon will kill us.....by 14. All in all. this game is a throw up. any team can win. lets just hope for no cheap shots and no injures.

With that, I want to say one thing. The radio guys today brought up the cheap shots/late hits thing in the broadcast. There were late hits on Armanti today and the announcers drew the comparison with what Elon did last year, and JMU and Richmond did too in the past. And yes, they were late hits, and the whistle, they said, had sounded, but I couldn't hear it and there were still players flying all over. But it looked a lot like last year, where, Armanti wasn't down, still struggling for yards, and you can't hear the whistle because of the crowd. This is why I don't think those were cheap shots last year. In the scheme of things, they were late hits. But, you have to play hard nosed against a guy that might not be down and can stumble for an extra ten yards on lost balance like he did today. I am not one that likes to see late hits. But at the same time, I don't want to see a team play soft and give up extra yards because they think a hit might be slightly late either. It's a balancing and when playing against backs who play like Amranti, what are you supposed to do as the other team. Hit, and hope that he's down and risk those stumbling first down plays like we all know he's good at getting? I am curious to know what your solution would be for attacking another player like Amranti, from a defensive perspective. He's too explosive to risk a partial tackle and not ensure he's down and hope that whistle blows.

appirishmen
November 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
With that, I want to say one thing. The radio guys today brought up the cheap shots/late hits thing in the broadcast. There were late hits on Armanti today and the announcers drew the comparison with what Elon did last year, and JMU and Richmond did too in the past. And yes, they were late hits, and the whistle, they said, had sounded, but I couldn't hear it and there were still players flying all over. But it looked a lot like last year, where, Armanti wasn't down, still struggling for yards, and you can't hear the whistle because of the crowd. This is why I don't think those were cheap shots last year. In the scheme of things, they were late hits. But, you have to play hard nosed against a guy that might not be down and can stumble for an extra ten yards on lost balance like he did today. I am not one that likes to see late hits. But at the same time, I don't want to see a team play soft and give up extra yards because they think a hit might be slightly late either. It's a balancing and when playing against backs who play like Amranti, what are you supposed to do as the other team. Hit, and hope that he's down and risk those stumbling first down plays like we all know he's good at getting? I am curious to know what your solution would be for attacking another player like Amranti, from a defensive perspective. He's too explosive to risk a partial tackle and not ensure he's down and hope that whistle blows.

i know you have to play hard. and the lord knows AE starts the contact. i am talking about one hit in particular. there was one last year where ae put his shoulder down and both him and the Elon guy slid out of bounds. the Elon guy too a cheap shot to AE hip which caused a hip pointer and IMO our chance for a 4th NC. i saw plenty of hits where slight punches were thrown after tackles on the bottom of piles. but that happens sometimes. i just think that sometimes you can get a little too over zealous about going after someone and uncalled for hits are thrown.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
i know you have to play hard. and the lord knows AE starts the contact. i am talking about one hit in particular. there was one last year where ae put his shoulder down and both him and the Elon guy slid out of bounds. the Elon guy too a cheap shot to AE hip which caused a hip pointer and IMO our chance for a 4th NC. i saw plenty of hits where slight punches were thrown after tackles on the bottom of piles. but that happens sometimes. i just think that sometimes you can get a little too over zealous about going after someone and uncalled for hits are thrown.

Then that play last year, I missed. I thought the late hits you guys were all talking about for the past year were those on field hits like at the UTC game. You gotta make sure the guy goes down.

Needless to say, there has been nothing like that seen this year. But even then, crap like that happens sometimes. And a single incident doesn't make a program dirty. Heck, Riddle took a late hit like that a few games ago and wasn't the same again for a few games.

appirishmen
November 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Then that play last year, I missed. I thought the late hits you guys were all talking about for the past year were those on field hits like at the UTC game. You gotta make sure the guy goes down.

Needless to say, there has been nothing like that seen this year. But even then, crap like that happens sometimes. And a single incident doesn't make a program dirty. Heck, Riddle took a late hit like that a few games ago and wasn't the same again for a few games.

yea, i mean that was not the only one. there were others, but that was the one that got me. i know there is a lot of bad blood between our two schools. all i have to say is that i hope this doesnt happen this game because both teams have a shot to go deep in the playoffs and neither can have injuries.

kdinva
November 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Wofford 36; Samford 24
Furman 27; GSU 23
Elon 27; ASU 24
UTC 31; The Citadel 21

jus10asu
November 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Samford at Wofford

jonmac
November 8th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Is it too late to call the SoCon commish and request the officials come from some other conference? Of course, I know it will fall on deaf ears because he thinks SoCon officials are the best. And I'm not saying this because I think officials have been biased against App. They are just terrible, across the board. At least the ones I have seen at App games.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Is it too late to call the SoCon commish and request the officials come from some other conference? Of course, I know it will fall on deaf ears because he thinks SoCon officials are the best. And I'm not saying this because I think officials have been biased against App. They are just terrible, across the board. At least the ones I have seen at App games.

I'll say this again, I don't think we have officials, or the Big South. There's a regional pool of officials that are contracted out by agents. The better games get the better officials, and so on.

ASU_Fanatic
November 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Samford at Wofford

phoenixphanatic21
November 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Eastern Kentucky by 10
Wofford by 6
Furman by 13
Chatty by 7
Heart says Elon, brain says App. I think it'll be a low scoring game. Think both defenses will step up big.

jonmac
November 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'll say this again, I don't think we have officials, or the Big South. There's a regional pool of officials that are contracted out by agents. The better games get the better officials, and so on.

Then please explain to me how the National Championship game rotates officials from different conferences. We had MEAC officials one year. Are you trying to say that the MEAC has it's own officials and the SoCon doesn't? One of our regular MMB posters emailed the SoCon commish about officials and the response did not indicate what you are saying, only that he thinks our officials are great officials and know the game and the rules better than fans do. And even if you are correct it seems to be the same officials working the SoCon games so they would be considered SoCon officials even if they are not "employed" by the SoCon. What you suggest is definitely true for high school sports officials but I'm not sure it's the same for college. I have a friend who is a college basketball official and he is contracted for 2 conferences. It may be through an agent but he is not available for all conferences. What you say may be true but I'd be surprised if officials worked for more than 2 conferences. It may be more like smaller conferences piggy backing with other conferences and using some of the same officials. Regardless, the ones that I've seen have not been very good. This is probably a discussion for another thread though.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Then please explain to me how the National Championship game rotates officials from different conferences. We had MEAC officials one year. Are you trying to say that the MEAC has it's own officials and the SoCon doesn't? One of our regular MMB posters emailed the SoCon commish about officials and the response did not indicate what you are saying, only that he thinks our officials are great officials and know the game and the rules better than fans do. And even if you are correct it seems to be the same officials working the SoCon games so they would be considered SoCon officials even if they are not "employed" by the SoCon. What you suggest is definitely true for high school sports officials but I'm not sure it's the same for college. I have a friend who is a college basketball official and he is contracted for 2 conferences. It may be through an agent but he is not available for all conferences. What you say may be true but I'd be surprised if officials worked for more than 2 conferences. It may be more like smaller conferences piggy backing with other conferences and using some of the same officials. Regardless, the ones that I've seen have not been very good. This is probably a discussion for another thread though.

The MEAC has officials. That is one league that does have them. The SWAC has their own too.

They have a list of pre-approved officials. Lists of ones allowed and not allowed. They are contracted on a game by game basis. It is a lot like the high school method. In essence, you have an agent that has X list of games for an area, the best officials chose the best game, ie go to the ACC and CUSA games. SoCon falls next, then Big South, Pioneer, SAC, UNCP, USA South, ODAC and so on. A lot of the booking happens on a week by week basis, some of it happens before the season starts. I have a friend who is a line judge and has reffed all over this season. In fact, I am currently in class to do it and hoping to do some ODAC next year.

The SoCon and all leagues have the lists of preferred officials. The ones they like and want to rely on. What may be a difference is that the head official for each game is set. And that may be what the conference is eluding to. I can ask my friend to be sure and get back with you. But I know for certain that you'll see an official form an Elon game also at Big South and SAC games.

We do the same thing for basketball. CUSA does it too. So does the Big South. Some of the ACC officials will be in ACC games one night and a SoCon game the next night.

Overall, its a much more cost effective way of handling it. There have been some bad calls, but we all day that every year.

whoanellie
November 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
please for the sake of us with attention deficet issues and short term memory loss....
when you guys start on a different tangent....change to a new topic thread!!!! please

tyhis was a predicition thread

BlackNGold
November 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Eastern Kentucky by 10
Wofford by 6
Furman by 13
Chatty by 7
Heart says Elon, brain says App. I think it'll be a low scoring game. Think both defenses will step up big.

I have absolutely NO IDEA who wins the App vs Elon game... but I DO KNOW that the games not gonna be low scoring....

45-40 is the score
Winner, xconfusedx

jonmac
November 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
please for the sake of us with attention deficet issues and short term memory loss....
when you guys start on a different tangent....change to a new topic thread!!!! please

tyhis was a predicition thread

Geez, I said it was a discussion for another thread. Sorry. It's over. Didn't mean to upset the thread police.

OldSouth
November 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Wofford

Furman - sorry coaches - last game against each other

Chattanooga - Welcome back

Appalachian State - Last team with the ball wins - thanks God it will be App. 49-42

Aho_Old_Guy
November 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Western Carolina over Eastern Kentucky
(upset special)

Samford nipped by the Wofford Ankle Biters (who aren't all the way back but getting there after this weekend mean streak for Bull Dogs)

Furman at Georgia Southern (game called because of overwhelming fan depression)

The Citadel at Chattanooga (too tough to call --- both very solid and capable of great ball --- I'll take UTC by 2 at home --- but the Snakes gotta handle some really p'ed off Bull Dawgs)

I think Elong with be super-psyched because of their inferiority complex and will win 55-29. (They so want to be loved and respected.) They will secure the #3 seed and then subsequently lose in the first round to SC State.

Appalachian, meanwhile, hits the road and wins the NC over W&M, SIU, Montana and Richmond (by scoring a playoff record 2444 points - and giving up 2432 points).

utcfan
November 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Eastern Kentucky 35 Western Carolina 17
Wofford 21 Samford 20
Georgia Southern 24 Furman 21
Chattanooga 24 The Citadel 17
Elon 38 Appalachian State 31

The Cats
November 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Samford at Wofford

Phoenix87
November 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Western
Wofford
Chattanooga
Elon/App = Toss Up

The one thing i do believe though is that it will be another low scoring affair like last year. Winner wins by 7 or less. I don't think one team will score more than 24 pts. While Elon's defense has been dominant this entire season (minus Wake and first half of WC game), the real test is this weekend. For App I think the question stands whether or not their O-line can slow down the pass rush of Elon's D-line. They have played well lately but I don't think they have played a D-line like Elon's yet this year.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
ELON 41 APP 31
Who cares about the others.....

longtimemocfan
November 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
WCU-17 EKU-27

Samford-21 Wofford-24

Furman-24 GSU-27 Eagles yet to lose at home.

Citadel-17 Chattanooga-28

Appy State-24 Elon20 Should be worth the wait.

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky - Eastern, closer than most would think, less than a TD

Samford at Wofford - Great xrolleyesxWofford gets it together just in time for the end of the season/ Last game against Furman:(

Furman at Georgia Southern - If this was in Paladin Stadium I wouldn't hesitate to pick Furman ( Of course that is what I said last year). Neither defense will stop the other offense so it depends on which offense stops itself. I think Furman should win it but after the collapse at the end of the year last year that is hard to predict. Of course this year we collapsed early so maybe we will actually put up an effort in the last two games. With all that said, I'll pick the homer vote and go with Furman (but I won't believe it until I see itxbawlingx)

The Citadel at Chattanooga - Chattanooga by 7

Appalachian State at Elon - I'll be the contrarian. Everything tells me not to pick against Armanti, so I am going with Elon in a close one.xconfusedx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PhoenixMan
November 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I see App St./Elon like this.....(and of course, it could be way off) Elon will score 35 points at the least. They are running the ball well now, and that opens up the air game. Armanti and company will be up for this game, so they will score, even thought Elon's D has been stingy thus far. I'll go with 35-24 Elon

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I see App St./Elon like this.....(and of course, it could be way off) Elon will score 35 points at the least. They are running the ball well now, and that opens up the air game. Armanti and company will be up for this game, so they will score, even thought Elon's D has been stingy thus far. I'll go with 35-24 Elon

You are crazy. We didn't score 35 on Furman. Everyone is expecting a shootout, so i am left wondering if this is going to be a lower scoring type of game.

BullDog85
November 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Yep, you gotta watch out for those so called Fighting Christians xnodx

biggie
November 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM
App at Elon:
No score prediction just hope App wins, but App's D will be the key. Defense will of course have to cover up TH, whether Gilbert can do it alone as in the past or doubling him. D-Line needs to hold the middle on runs.
AE will push himself to overcome the loss of Coco and will work hard this week with Cadet to have the timing down. Cadet as the athletic ability to replace Coco without a problem, but needs practice.

WCU-13
EKU-21
It's Western still.

Samford-24
Wofford-17
Battle of recently winning teams. Samford D helps them.

Furman-17
GSU-23
'Booby' loses it, completely.

Citadel-14
Chattanooga-24
El Cit isn't at home, that will hurt. And Chatty on the rise.

Woof
November 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
ELON 41 APP 31

...And the flaming pigeons wonder why no one is jumping on their bandwagon ? ...but I digress

Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky- EKU wins 34-21 over the purple kitties.

Samford at Wofford- Terriers finally put 4 quarters together against Bellhops; Can they do it 2 weeks in a row ? Wofford 42- Sammy 21

Furman at Georgia Southern- Tough one to call; not a lot of confidence flowing on either side. Furman is probably the better team, but GSU is home and gets a slight nod. Eaglets 24- Furples 21

The Citadel at Chattanooga- Chatty is playing well, Bellhops not so much. Chatty 28- Citadel 14

Appalachian State at Elon - Since I'm morally precluded from pulling for a scoreless tie with lots of injuries xlolxxlolxxlolx, I take the better defense and say Flaming Pigeons 35- Hillbillies 28.

CID1990
November 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM
EKU
Samford
Furman

Either Chatty 40-7 OR El Cid 40-7.

PhoenixMan
November 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You are crazy. We didn't score 35 on Furman. Everyone is expecting a shootout, so i am left wondering if this is going to be a lower scoring type of game.

I'm crazy? Furman is the only SoCon game that Elon has been held to a low point total. Have you been watching what they have scored in the other games? Also, App St. is winning, but they are giving up points. If other SoCon teams are scoring 3 and 4 TD's a game against them, you think Elon can't score 5 or more TD's? It could be a low scoring affair, but recent history says otherwise.xrulesx

AppStsGr8
November 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Western ... because even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Samford ... in a close one
Chattanooga ... with at least three "trick" plays and some good D
Furman ... Bobby keeps his job

App / Elon ... whoever's best on Saturday. Elon's ranked higher and seems to have played more consistently. App has, on paper, some scary good possibilities and the has shown that they can play well with their backs to the wall. IF App defense plays like first quarter Chattanooga game for four whole quarters, App wins. If defense continues less than stellar stat trend on 3rd down conversions against, Elon wins.

OLDMAIN80
November 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Western
Wofford
Furples
Chatty
Elon

The Cats
November 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
ELON 41 APP 31

.....and you guys wonder why no one else in the conference would pull for you over ASU!!!!

appmaj
November 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Eastern Kentucky

Wofford

Furman

Chattanooga

Appalachian State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gophoenix
November 10th, 2009, 06:32 AM
.....and you guys wonder why no one else in the conference would pull for you over ASU!!!!

Not all of us do it.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm crazy? Furman is the only SoCon game that Elon has been held to a low point total. Have you been watching what they have scored in the other games? Also, App St. is winning, but they are giving up points. If other SoCon teams are scoring 3 and 4 TD's a game against them, you think Elon can't score 5 or more TD's? It could be a low scoring affair, but recent history says otherwise.xrulesx

I'd like to be wrong, But yes, I have watched or listened to every game this year. What I am saying is, App has dominated some quarters and not dominated others. I don't think we're going to see the wishy washy App team this weekend. I think both teams are coming out to play 4 quarters and that is going to make this game a bit different than everyone is expecting.

HighRyder08
November 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I'd like to be wrong, But yes, I have watched or listened to every game this year. What I am saying is, App has dominated some quarters and not dominated others. I don't think we're going to see the wishy washy App team this weekend. I think both teams are coming out to play 4 quarters and that is going to make this game a bit different than everyone is expecting.

x2 on that. The game this weekend reminds me of Richmond two years ago when AE had a field day on the ground. Whenever App is put in big game situations they show up to play. They know what is ahead of them-- they will be ready.

elon77
November 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Oh come on, some of us might pull for you next weekend.

Eagle22
November 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM

No, we have our own officials.

Basketball is probably what you are thinking of, as that is the case with basketball and baseball. Probably all the other sports as well.

And no, the better games DON'T necessarily get the better officials. One of the worst groups presided over the 1999 GSU-Furman game, which had a lot riding on it both conference wise and national-standings wise.

There are a couple of old crows that have been officiating SoCon games since at least 1993 when GSU joined the league ... and they haven't gotten any better in the last 16 years.

Saint3333
November 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM

IMO ASU's best game for 4 quarters beats Elon's best game. The problem for ASU is that Elon will likely play one of their best games (and play well all four quarters) of the season and if this season is an indicator ASU has not been able to play consistent for 4 straight quarters in a close game.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
No, we have our own officials.

Basketball is probably what you are thinking of, as that is the case with basketball and baseball. Probably all the other sports as well.

And no, the better games DON'T necessarily get the better officials. One of the worst groups presided over the 1999 GSU-Furman game, which had a lot riding on it both conference wise and national-standings wise.

There are a couple of old crows that have been officiating SoCon games since at least 1993 when GSU joined the league ... and they haven't gotten any better in the last 16 years.

No no, not better crews, the better crews in the area.

As in, there could be a Clemson game, a South Carolina Game, a Georgia game, etc that same day and those better refs would take those as first choice over the GSU game. Which is why you see some of the games on Monday and Thursday get really good officials where Tuesday and Saturdays get bad ones.

For football, all the conference will tell me is that they employee officials and contract others, all for football.

94Terrier
November 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
-------------------------------------------------
EKU wins, only because it's at home

Samford at Wofford
-------------------------
Terriers continue their upswing and surprise one of the nation's top ten defenses. Speed on both sides of the line will tell the tale late in the game.

-------------------------------------
FU woes continue, and GSU at home is a tough place to play when struggling. GSU wins by at least 10

-----------------------------------
UTC handles the bellhops, who are still stunned by what happened to them on family day in Charleston.

----------------------------------
My heart would say Elon, but my wallet would say ASU

Bam
November 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
-------------------------------------------------
EKU wins, only because it's at home

EKU will take a home win anyday against the mighty SC! Keep the streak alive for another yr. & hope EIU slips up! Woooo!

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'd certainly like to see WCU win but nothing I've seen this year makes me think they can beat EKU on the road.xsmashx

Samford at Wofford is a toss-up but with all the injuries to the ankle biters I will give the slight edge to the Dogs.xchinscratchx

The Furman/GSU game is usually a showcase game for the SoCon, but not this year. Neither is particularly strong on either side of the ball, but we need Bobby Lamb to stick around. I think his seat is even hotter than Hatcher's so here's to Lambchop winning at Statesboro.xtwocentsx

Elon vs. ASU. Anyone that thinks they can accurately predict this game is smarter than me. I think like many that ASU has better overall talent but has been nowhere near as consistant as Elon. The home field advantage will be with the Birds, but until they win a really BIG game my money is still on Money...I mean AE. ASU wins a nailbiter.xbeerchugx

SU DOG
November 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
EKU at home is too strong for the Cats.

Samford over Wofford - may just be a loyalty pick.

I don't really have a clue, but for some reason I go with GSU over Furman.

ASU has been there and done that, and it will probably be the difference.

paward
November 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky: Have to go with EKU win by 3

Samford at Wofford: Sorry Wofford have to go wit Samford win by 3

Furman at Georgia Southern: Have to take my hometown team GSU win by 3

The Citadel at Chattanooga: Semi homer pick here Mocs win by 3

Appalachian State at Elon: My heart says Elon, my mind says Appalachian State. My pick is App wins by 3.

ASU_MBA
November 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky: Have to go with EKU win by 3

Samford at Wofford: Sorry Wofford have to go wit Samford win by 3

Furman at Georgia Southern: Have to take my hometown team GSU win by 3

The Citadel at Chattanooga: Semi homer pick here Mocs win by 3

Appalachian State at Elon: My heart says Elon, my mind says Appalachian State. My pick is App wins by 3.

Do you always pick games by 3 point margins....? xcoffeex
I will take a 3 point win though....

Rekdiver
November 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hasn't Elon choked in games that would get them in or in 1st round games before? Clearly I believe the pressure is on Elon and I do believe there will be 5k very loud ASU fans there and it becomes at best a neutral site for Elon. I agree that if asu plays its complete game Elon could be beaten. It ought to be a donneybrook!!!!!!!!

appstate38
November 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Its been said before, but the Apps best is better than Elon's best.... But with that said I think we in by less than 10.

PhoenixMan
November 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Its been said before, but the Apps best is better than Elon's best.... But with that said I think we in by less than 10.

I keep hearing that from the App folks....our best is better than Elon's best. Well, then you haven't played your "best" once this season. I haven't listened to or watched an App. game this year in which they have played well enough to beat an Elon team that has dominated SoCon opponents, with Furman being the ONLY close one Elon has had. App. will score points, I don't doubt that. But, not a bunch, and that swiss cheese D front for App had better play the "best" that I keep hearing about and bring some pressure, or Riddle and Hudgins will light them up like the Vegas sky line.

My posts have been tame thus far. Just VERY tired of the App. crap at this point.

ASU_MBA
November 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I keep hearing that from the App folks....our best is better than Elon's best. Well, then you haven't played your "best" once this season. I haven't listened to or watched an App. game this year in which they have played well enough to beat an Elon team that has dominated SoCon opponents, with Furman being the ONLY close one Elon has had. App. will score points, I don't doubt that. But, not a bunch, and that swiss cheese D front for App had better play the "best" that I keep hearing about and bring some pressure, or Riddle and Hudgins will light them up like the Vegas sky line.

My posts have been tame thus far. Just VERY tired of the App. crap at this point.

How in the world does anyone know how good elon is...? They have yet to play a top ten FCS team..App did with McNeese State and we played with Edwards not having played a football game in almost a year and we lost by a last second field goal (forget the safety at the end). We played an ECU team without Edwards whose defense is better than anything Elon can throw at us and only lose by 5 points while missing a couple FGs and scoring 24 points. Sure we had to take the Citadel to OT but they are always tough to play on the road. Regardless, we have been tested and have lost our two games by a single touchdown.

Elon played Wake and got totally destroyed. The same 4-6 Wake team that lost to Baylor and Navy but Elon couldn't even make it a close game. Elon played Davidson who ranks 98th in offense and Presbyterian who can't even beat a first year ODU program and got dismantled by Stony Brook, Liberty and Charleston Southern. The third and fourth ranked teams in the socon Furman and Go. Southern lost to elon 19-12 and 28-14. In the Furman game the score was really 13-12, I believe on a last second FG.
While App handled these teams 52-16 and 52-27.

I will admit the App D is suspect at times but I still like our chances. No one has blown us out and we outscore our opponents in the fourth quarter 2 to 1 and that includes several mop up roles by Cadet and second team D.

Week in and week out App gets everyone's best shot because whether you like it or want to admit it teams want to beat App State. Why do so many schools make the silly "Beat App" t-shirts and posters? Why do so many schools charge more money for our road games? We are the big game for every school we play. Not to be cocky but it is true.

Stats are tough to disect against us because teams prepare and want to so badly beat us....teams get up and play us tough we get the best their D and O can offer.....we are battle tested and whether you like it or not this can not be said for the 09 Elon team.

I think it will be a close game one way or the other and I hope both teams go to the playoffs and make the SoCon proud. I am looking forward to seeing just how good this Elon team really is.......

Final score
35-31 App.............unless we bring our Wofford 08 game and then it gets ugly for the home team. xsmiley_wix

iceman4221
November 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM

It appears the SoCon regular season champ will be determined at the end of the day as well........

Samford at Wofford

Thats how I see it from here...xcoffeex

elon77
November 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
How in the world does anyone know how good elon is...? They have yet to play a top ten FCS team..App did with McNeese State and we played with Edwards not having played a football game in almost a year and we lost by a last second field goal (forget the safety at the end). We played an ECU team without Edwards whose defense is better than anything Elon can throw at us and only lose by 5 points while missing a couple FGs and scoring 24 points. Sure we had to take the Citadel to OT but they are always tough to play on the road. Regardless, we have been tested and have lost our two games by a single touchdown.

Elon played Wake and got totally destroyed. The same 4-6 Wake team that lost to Baylor and Navy but Elon couldn't even make it a close game. Elon played Davidson who ranks 98th in offense and Presbyterian who can't even beat a first year ODU program and got dismantled by Stony Brook, Liberty and Charleston Southern. The third and fourth ranked teams in the socon Furman and Go. Southern lost to elon 19-12 and 28-14. In the Furman game the score was really 13-12, I believe on a last second FG.
While App handled these teams 52-16 and 52-27.

I will admit the App D is suspect at times but I still like our chances. No one has blown us out and we outscore our opponents in the fourth quarter 2 to 1 and that includes several mop up roles by Cadet and second team D.

Week in and week out App gets everyone's best shot because whether you like it or want to admit it teams want to beat App State. Why do so many schools make the silly "Beat App" t-shirts and posters? Why do so many schools charge more money for our road games? We are the big game for every school we play. Not to be cocky but it is true.

Stats are tough to disect against us because teams prepare and want to so badly beat us....teams get up and play us tough we get the best their D and O can offer.....we are battle tested and whether you like it or not this can not be said for the 09 Elon team.

I think it will be a close game one way or the other and I hope both teams go to the playoffs and make the SoCon proud. I am looking forward to seeing just how good this Elon team really is.......

Final score
35-31 App.............unless we bring our Wofford 08 game and then it gets ugly for the home team. xsmiley_wix

But, don't you think Elon gets everyone's best shot too? Think about it, do the rest of the teams in the Socon want to loose to little ole upstart private school Elon? Will ASU this year be the last team in the Socon to finally loose to Elon? I don't know, but Elon's alot closer to beating you than they were 4 short years ago. As far as the ticket prices going up, pi$$ed me off, but the $20.00 extra dollars I had to pay didn't break me and I'm sure the extra money will help Elon's budget. Both school's should be thrilled this game has the meaning that it does, because the rest of the conference sure is struggling this year. Here's to a great game this weekend and I predict the team with the most points will win.xlolxxlolxxbeerchugx

Go Apps
November 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Think the game boils down to ASU on several fronts if ASU can build a lead 14 points or more it may take Elon out of their game and force them to play out of their norm - that will be to ASU's advantage - it might also empty some Elon seats quickly...

But if Elon keeps it close or has the lead - things will get more difficult as the day goes along for ASU -- The statistic that will matter the most - if Elon holds ASU on 6 Offensive drives with no points, then Elon will win that is the number I am watching..

Also, I believe that turnovers and ultimately special teams could be the real difference and I think Elon has the better special teams unit - if ASU pulls the stupid kicks out of bounds one more time on Kickoffs it could spell diaster - not that our kickoff team is able to stop anyone..if I were Jerry Moore I would put the best players for kickoff in this week it is for all the marbles and sit the others...someone will likely break a return for a TD - in big games special teams tend to have a say in the outcome on evenly matched teams and right now that edge is definitely on the side of Elon..

americanterrier
November 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Mountaineers.......win going away. Too many athletes.......too many playmakers.........way too much of the certain killer.........SPEED.

Bogus Megapardus
November 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
. . . and the Sportsbook sez:

Appalachian State +6 Over 53½
Elon -6 -Under 53½

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
But, don't you think Elon gets everyone's best shot too?

No I don't there is only one "best shot" per year. Every team in the conference right now circles the ASU game on the calendar, much like they used to for Marshall and GSU.

Ask the players they'll tell you.

appirishmen
November 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
all i have to say is....if our defense shows up and the corners play well, it will be a long day for Elon and App will win by 10. If our defense does not show up. it will be a long say for App with it being a close game, either team winning depending on who has the ball last. If App can stop or slow down Hudgins, we will do well. the past three years we have held him to in 2008 : 3 catches for 23 yards and TD, 2007: 8 catches for 75 yards and 2006: 8 catches for 148 yards 2TD. If we give him the yards he had in 2006, we will lose. i know Elon has other players, but if we can stop him, we will have a much better chance. I do admit that he is prob the best WR in the conference and maybe the FCS.

LETS GO APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jedmis10
November 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM

0 penalties against the Mocs last Saturday. Pretty impressive! GO APPS

appirishmen
November 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
0 penalties against the Mocs last Saturday. Pretty impressive! GO APPS

yea that is the first time we have had under 90 yards in penalties in how long?

jedmis10
November 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
A long time. I say we are bringing our A game to Elon. Should be a great game!!

ElonPride
November 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
all i have to say is....if our defense shows up and the corners play well, it will be a long day for Elon and App will win by 10. If our defense does not show up. it will be a long say for App with it being a close game, either team winning depending on who has the ball last. If App can stop or slow down Hudgins, we will do well. the past three years we have held him to in 2008 : 3 catches for 23 yards and TD, 2007: 8 catches for 75 yards and 2006: 8 catches for 148 yards 2TD. If we give him the yards he had in 2006, we will lose. i know Elon has other players, but if we can stop him, we will have a much better chance. I do admit that he is prob the best WR in the conference and maybe the FCS.

LETS GO APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad thing about last year, Hudgins played the last two games with an injury.

The Moody1
November 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Bad thing about last year, Hudgins played the last two games with an injury.

Was he the victim of some late hits in practice?

appirishmen
November 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Was he the victim of some late hits in practice?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxl maoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlma oxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox
xnodxxnodx

blueballs
November 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
EKU
Samford
Citadel
Furman
App

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
For those picking ASU over Elon were you able to see your respective teams play both Elon and ASU?

blueballs
November 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM
For those picking ASU over Elon were you able to see your respective teams play both Elon and ASU?

Yes... App had by far more firepower but it remains to be seen how losing Hillary will effect that.

Still, I like App in this one due to having more firepower, more big game experience, and the difference maker taking the snaps. They will, however, get Elon's best shot and it should be a tough game.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Yes... App had by far more firepower but it remains to be seen how losing Hillary will effect that.

Still, I like App in this one due to having more firepower, more big game experience, and the difference maker taking the snaps. They will, however, get Elon's best shot and it should be a tough game.

Ok, curious though since you've seen both. I have been saying all week that the explosiveness of App is their strong point. Games turn in a matter of minutes if that long.

You've seen both defenses, what are your thoughts there?

PhoenixMan
November 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
No I don't there is only one "best shot" per year. Every team in the conference right now circles the ASU game on the calendar, much like they used to for Marshall and GSU.

Ask the players they'll tell you.

That post is another typical obnoxious (and ridiculous) App illusion. Everyone circles App. St. on their schedule, and plays better against them than any other team? Teams don't try to play to their highest potential each week? Pump some oxygen in to them there hills, the ASU folks are losing it.

PhoenixMan
November 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Think the game boils down to ASU on several fronts if ASU can build a lead 14 points or more it may take Elon out of their game and force them to play out of their norm - that will be to ASU's advantage - it might also empty some Elon seats quickly...

But if Elon keeps it close or has the lead - things will get more difficult as the day goes along for ASU -- The statistic that will matter the most - if Elon holds ASU on 6 Offensive drives with no points, then Elon will win that is the number I am watching..

Also, I believe that turnovers and ultimately special teams could be the real difference and I think Elon has the better special teams unit - if ASU pulls the stupid kicks out of bounds one more time on Kickoffs it could spell diaster - not that our kickoff team is able to stop anyone..if I were Jerry Moore I would put the best players for kickoff in this week it is for all the marbles and sit the others...someone will likely break a return for a TD - in big games special teams tend to have a say in the outcome on evenly matched teams and right now that edge is definitely on the side of Elon..
With an offense that can score as quickly as Elon can, I doubt any real Elon fans will be leaving if we are down 14.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I assume you guys print out "Beat XXX" every game and talk about the game two months anyway for every opponent. They haven't always circled the ASU game, it used to be Furman in the 80's, Marshall mid-90's, GSU late-90's, and now ASU. Watch the players when Elon scores its first TD and you will see more emotion they you have all year, maybe ever.

Have you played sports at any level? Of course you get pumped for every game, but there is always one game that sticks out, right now that is the ASU game for SoCon schools. This isn't an illusion it is a fact, maybe one day Elon will be that team.

PhoenixMan
November 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I assume you guys print out "Beat XXX" every game and talk about the game two months anyway for every opponent. They haven't always circled the ASU game, it used to be Furman in the 80's, Marshall mid-90's, GSU late-90's, and now ASU. Watch the players when Elon scores its first TD and you will see more emotion they you have all year, maybe ever.

Have you played sports at any level? Of course you get pumped for every game, but there is always one game that sticks out, right now that is the ASU game for SoCon schools. This isn't an illusion it is a fact, maybe one day Elon will be that team.

If we were playing NCCU (which we didn't, that was you guys) for a SoCon championship and autobid it would be a huge game, just as this one is. Sure, playing a team with App St. recent accomplishments is a big game for everyone, but to say that every team plays their best, and "circles it on the schedule" is over the top. And, yes I have played a little football and baseball. Coached HS football for a number of years. We prepared for every game, every week....no difference in one team or the other. What rested on the outcome was the difference in motivation and excitement.

blueballs
November 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, curious though since you've seen both. I have been saying all week that the explosiveness of App is their strong point. Games turn in a matter of minutes if that long.

You've seen both defenses, what are your thoughts there?

Tough question... Elon definitely more physical, App perhaps faster.

Bear in mind the team I saw both against is offensively challenged GSU, so that surely may not be the best measuring stick. xlolx

My take is this... if App gets ahead and plays from in front they'll get on a roll and clobber anybody they play in the division, period, especially if aided by turnovers and field position. If Elon can keep the game close and take it into the last four minutes I like their chances at home.

How's that for waffling???

Actually, what I did was give my opinion on what each team needs to do to win, and bear in mind due to regionalization this could be the first of two meetings over the next month.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
If we were playing NCCU (which we didn't, that was you guys) for a SoCon championship and autobid it would be a huge game, just as this one is. Sure, playing a team with App St. recent accomplishments is a big game for everyone, but to say that every team plays their best, and "circles it on the schedule" is over the top. And, yes I have played a little football and baseball. Coached HS football for a number of years. We prepared for every game, every week....no difference in one team or the other. What rested on the outcome was the difference in motivation and excitement.

Over the top - not really - the key is those teams "want to play their best" against the best and 18-22 year olds are likely more focused all week at practice and during the game. This is true from middle school to pro players. It's nice to say we prepare as hard for every opponent but as a coach and player you know the majority of athletes don't operate like that.

Your last sentence is a point to by argument I believe as there is more motivation and excitement playing "the team" in your conference.

This isn't an ASU is the best team ever debate, it speaks to the nature of big games and historically superior teams in any sport. I can use any conference, any sport. Davidson for basketball the past few years in the SoCon is another good example.

Skjellyfetti
November 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
That post is another typical obnoxious (and ridiculous) App illusion. Everyone circles App. St. on their schedule, and plays better against them than any other team? Teams don't try to play to their highest potential each week? Pump some oxygen in to them there hills, the ASU folks are losing it.

Yeah, it's just an illusion. Teams don't get extra pumped up to play App. We're just dillusional.

How many teams have tried new campaigns to get their team and their crowd extra excited for the game against us?

How many stadiums in the conference have had their highest attendence against App? I'm pretty sure Elon will be setting a new attedence record this weekend... breaking the previous record set by the App game in 2007.

I'm sure y'all put out a video like this for every game:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104239149592693&ref=mf

Yeah, playing App is just like any other game. xwhistlex Who's delusional?

DX Man
November 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah, it's just an illusion. Teams don't get extra pumped up to play App. We're just dillusional.

How many teams have tried new campaigns to get their team and their crowd extra excited for the game against us?

How many stadiums in the conference have had their highest attendence against App? I'm pretty sure Elon will be setting a new attedence record this weekend... breaking the previous record set by the App game in 2007.

Agree 100%

What I thought was so funny was that camera angle they used to try to make Rhodes Stadium look big.xlolx

SoCon48
November 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Apparently you haven't heard every conference teams' coach's pre-game comments on the radio.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Tough question... Elon definitely more physical, App perhaps faster.

Bear in mind the team I saw both against is offensively challenged GSU, so that surely may not be the best measuring stick. xlolx

My take is this... if App gets ahead and plays from in front they'll get on a roll and clobber anybody they play in the division, period, especially if aided by turnovers and field position. If Elon can keep the game close and take it into the last four minutes I like their chances at home.

How's that for waffling???

Actually, what I did was give my opinion on what each team needs to do to win, and bear in mind due to regionalization this could be the first of two meetings over the next month.

If we make the playoffs. I am still not sold on us making it if App wins.

proasu89
November 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
If we make the playoffs. I am still not sold on us making it if App wins.

No guarantee for either team. xsmhx

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have to admit, it is a little silly to think that other conference teams don't circle the calendars for ASU...c'mon, they've won 3 of the last 4 National Championships.

It is no different than when SoCon foes play Davidson in basketball or Chattanooga in women's basketball. They are all teams that have excelled at a high level for a prolonged period of time...they are all hated/revered/respected/feared...all have gigantic targets on their backs.

The bad teams look beat during warmups...the good teams amp up and bring their best effort of the year.

Elon fans can't claim the calendar wasn't marked for ASU...y'all have been yammerin' back and forth with ASU fans for months. It is hands down the game of the year in the SoCon.

Best of luck to both teams...and may both represent the SoCon with pride in the playoffs. I want to see one, or both, teams in Chattanooga this December.

appstate38
November 11th, 2009, 07:50 PM

I think somebody just got SERVED!!!!!!xoopsxxoopsxxoopsx

xoutofrepx

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM

I'm not going to lie. It's the biggest game of the year for me. Mainly because I am from North Carolina. I know many people that went to App because I am from here. And, I've been jawing with App fans since at least 1999. But, I can only speak of it for me. I wear my Elon shirts and hats around the Triad and I've had tons of App people stop and talk football with me; specifically about this game.....

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Have you ever heard of the term..."RIVALRY GAME?!?!" xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Rest assured, this is the biggest game on Elon's schedule, and I would say that its the biggest on App's schedule as well...anyone that says otherwise (for both parties involved) is sadly mistaken and disconnected from the reality of the situation.

james_lawfirm
November 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not going to lie. It's the biggest game of the year for me. Mainly because I am from North Carolina. I know many people that went to App because I am from here. And, I've been jawing with App fans since at least 1999. But, I can only speak of it for me. I wear my Elon shirts and hats around the Triad and I've had tons of App people stop and talk football with me; specifically about this game.....

Yep, cool video. Cannot wait for the game! See you there & good luck!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Rest assured, this is the biggest game on Elon's schedule, and I would say that its the biggest on App's schedule as well...anyone that says otherwise (for both parties involved) is sadly mistaken and disconnected from the reality of the situation.

Big game? Yes.

Rivalry game? No Way.

DSUrocks07
November 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Big game? Yes.

Rivalry game? No Way.

I was referring to PhoenixMan saying that as a coach, he approached every game the same way no matter the opponent. And that's just not the case, every team has one team on their schedule every year that they "HAVE" to beat. i.e. for DSU its Howard, for UD its Nova. When I was in high school, it was Caesar Rodney, those are rivalry games.

appirishmen
November 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM

im from Burlington, i had to grow up with Elon crap. i know how you feel the other way around. all i have to say is that this will be a good game with two of the best programs in the country this year facing off.

lets pray for an injury free game and best if luck to both teams and keep it clean.

GO APPS....BEAT ELON. (i have been waiting for this game all season...xnodxxnodx)

elon77
November 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I have to admit, it is a little silly to think that other conference teams don't circle the calendars for ASU...c'mon, they've won 3 of the last 4 National Championships.

It is no different than when SoCon foes play Davidson in basketball or Chattanooga in women's basketball. They are all teams that have excelled at a high level for a prolonged period of time...they are all hated/revered/respected/feared...all have gigantic targets on their backs.

The bad teams look beat during warmups...the good teams amp up and bring their best effort of the year.

Elon fans can't claim the calendar wasn't marked for ASU...y'all have been yammerin' back and forth with ASU fans for months. It is hands down the game of the year in the SoCon.

Best of luck to both teams...and may both represent the SoCon with pride in the playoffs. I want to see one, or both, teams in Chattanooga this December.

I thought it was the biggest game of the year, but what do I know I'm just an old fart who is excited about Saturday.:)

PhoenixMan
November 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM

I completely understand a RIVALRY game. I would like to think that Elon and App. St. are becoming rivals. My comments were in reference to the post that basically said that App St. is a rivalry game for EVERY team they play.

ToTheLeft
November 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Samford at Wofford

Western
Samford
Furples
Chatty
Elon

phillyAPP
November 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I thought it was the biggest game of the year, but what do I know I'm just an old fart who is excited about Saturday.:)

LMAO.... I feel the same way.....Old smelly fart..excited about a great game on Saturday..........Lets watch some good football, played well, and NOT won by a bad call from a ref !!!!!!!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I was referring to PhoenixMan saying that as a coach, he approached every game the same way no matter the opponent. And that's just not the case, every team has one team on their schedule every year that they "HAVE" to beat. i.e. for DSU its Howard, for UD its Nova. When I was in high school, it was Caesar Rodney, those are rivalry games.

D'oh! xoopsx

My bad.

The folks at Cullo-wheeeeeeee will always be our big rival. It's been a bit lopsided as of late but those 'Cats whipped us in 2004 to snag the Old Mountain Jug. We've been tangling with Western since the early 1930s.

I'm an old guy (!) who actually pre-dates the Jug, and consider the vermin of Fermin right up there with Western. Since Appalachian joined the SoCon in the early '70s they've pounded us pretty good but we've returned that favor as of late. If there ever was a series of 'upsets' the rivalry with the Paladins would be the one ...

SoCon48
November 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I completely understand a RIVALRY game. I would like to think that Elon and App. St. are becoming rivals. My comments were in reference to the post that basically said that App St. is a rivalry game for EVERY team they play.
For GSU, Furman, and WCU it is. That doesn't leave many others. Elon seems to think it is, too. That leaves even less. Look at the gates when they all play App.

Jiggs
November 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
EKU
Samford
Chattanooga
Furman
Elon

blazrdog#1
November 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
nm

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM
EKU
Wofford
Georgia Southern
Chatty
Elon

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Your coach has our new pressbox as his screensaver.... so that every time he walks in his office he's reminded of where he wants Elon to be. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Lembo has looked no further than Appalachian as the model for success. He has a screen saver on his desktop computer of ASU’s towering new complex at Kidd Brewer Stadium, representative of heights that can be achieved.

“To me, that program is the bar in the FCS,” Lembo said. “I come in every morning and turn on my computer, and it’s just a little reminder of where we want to go.”

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/nov/14/appalachian-state-to-play-improving-elon-with-leag/

SCPALADIN
November 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know if the Furman - Ga. Southern game is on live streaming video? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

SU DOG
November 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know if the Furman - Ga. Southern game is on live streaming video? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

This game is listed at SoCon sports. Of course that is not a freebie.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM

I don't see that it's available to stream from the Socon site. I just see Furman - Georgia Southern. Am I just missing something and it is available? I'd gladly pay the 7 bucks to watch it... but, I want to make sure it's available first.

SCPALADIN
November 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM

I see where the game is listed...but then after I click on "sign up now" it isn't listed. Kinda weird. I guess I'll wait until 1:45 and see what happens.

The Cats
November 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks to all those that picked the Catamounts.......

Aho_Old_Guy
November 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Western Carolina over Eastern Kentucky
(upset special)

Great Job ! --- xthumbsupx

Yall boys from Da Wheeeee take it easy on us next week. We'll most likely come out a little flat. I'll be sweatin' it out for sure.

I remember '04 when yahs snagged the Jug back from us!

catamount man
November 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM

PRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

OL FU
November 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
PRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

I didn't pick you, but I am certainly glad you wonxthumbsupx