PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Championship: App St @ Elon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
It's on like Donkey Kong!

Winner gets at least a share of the SoCon Title and the SoCon autobid and keeps their name in the hat for a possible seed.

Kickoff is 3 pm EST on Saturday, November 14th.

asknoquarter21
November 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Whoo!

This is the one everyone has been waiting for.

No looking at the past now, everything in the future is riding on this game.

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM
LLLLLLLET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUMBLE!!!!
http://www.california-lims.com/miscimages/michealbuffer.jpg

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Elon's toast.

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Elon's toast.

I agree. App is going to pull out the pimp hand on the smug private school.

asknoquarter21
November 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hopefully both teams play better than they did today

3E9App
November 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Agreed no matter which team wins next week I don't want either one to say they didn't play at their best for all four quarters.xthumbsupx

boonegoon
November 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It will take a better offensive effort to be Hogwarts

boonegoon
November 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
It will take a much better effort offensively to beat Hogwarts.

asknoquarter21
November 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I like that both teams will more than likely make the playoffs regardless of the result.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Not too sure that App. State's offense didn't take a big hit with Coco being gone. I think App. will still win by 5-15 though.

Hopefully there won't be any injuries this year. (cue the smack fest)

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Can't wait.

appstate38
November 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Well I am just wondering how many pages this thread will have by Saturday?

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM

BOTH teams? Elon played well. Brandom Newsome finally looked healthy and rushed for 5 TDs. Hudgins passed Rice, and the offense ran for a bunch of yards. They also only gave up 14 points. Didn't play well on D, but got it done. App. St. was in a close one with the Mocs. Doesn't mean anything about next week..but let's keep it real.xrulesx

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
BOTH teams? Elon played well. Brandom Newsome finally looked healthy and rushed for 5 TDs. Hudgins passed Rice, and the offense ran for a bunch of yards. They also only gave up 14 points. Didn't play well on D, but got it done. App. St. was in a close one with the Mocs. Doesn't mean anything about next week..but let's keep it real.xrulesx

WCU kept it close with Elon before pulling away. App pulled away from Chatty and Chattanooga mounted a comeback in the second half. I think that's what he's alluding to. Neither team was at their best today, imo.

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Right in front of my keyboard is App St/Elon grass section seat number 872. xthumbsupx

I am ready for WAR~!

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
WCU kept it close with Elon before pulling away. App pulled away from Chatty and Chattanooga mounted a comeback in the second half. I think that's what he's alluding to. Neither team was that impressive today.

Just a win today was impressive for both teams. It's crunch time, and Elon doesn't look like they are folding as they have the last two years. A different team. I was alluding to him saying either team played bad. I just wasn't as aware of what Appy did as I was Elon. The Elon run game was impressive today, not sure what the play calling was about a few times, but they stayed with it and it worked. Can't wait for next week....could be an epic game.

KiddBrewer
November 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
my prediction....its a disappointing game, from one side or the other.

just usually how these things work out

boy i hope im wrong

theasushow
November 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
gonna be a awesome game, i think app's big-game experience gives them a slight edge. regardless of the outcome, this game should prepare both teams for the playoffs. i think that both teams make the playoffs no matter the outcome. as if this game wasnt big enough already, these teams may be playing for the #4 seed.

SideLine Shooter
November 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Not too sure that App. State's offense didn't take a big hit with Coco being gone. I think App. will still win by 5-15 though.

Hopefully there won't be any injuries this year. (cue the smack fest)

Coco is missed greatly and it showed today. He is a leader.

Elon College wins by 30+.

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Elon University wins by 30+.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And, I felt compelled to FIFYxthumbsupx

clintc
November 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I know the game is on SportSouth.. But I cant find a link on GOASU.TV or on the Elon site??

Where can we get Streaming Video online??? For us ASU Alumni in Colorado....

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I know the game is on SportSouth.. But I cant find a link on GOASU.TV or on the Elon site??

Where can we get Streaming Video online??? For us ASU Alumni in Colorado....

Video won't be streamed on goasu or elon's site since it's on television. Gotta hope channelsurfing comes through for you.

Saint3333
November 7th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Q1 - fired up defense and offense ready to play up 21
Q2 - too comfortable seem lazy
Q3 - UTC (who has the best coach is the SoCon IMO) out adjusts ASU
Q4 - team wakes up and only allows 29 yards and scores 14.

What I saw from ASU today will not be enough to win next weekend, too many breakdowns in the secondary, minimal push from the d-line, and the offense looked awful 2nd and 3rd quarter.

This team is bi-polar. It's almost like you have to back them in a corner before they start playing sometimes.

jus10asu
November 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx xconfusedxxconfusedx

appmaj
November 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Ready for this game

1appfan
November 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM

No slight to CoCo, but I think it was more a matter of Keydet and others with limited receiving experience getting timing down. They didn't know until thursday that Hillary was for sure out, so he had 2 days to get reps in. I bet that after a full week of practice he and Armanti will click much more smoothly.

42-35 Good Guys

catamount man
November 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
App 56
Elon 42

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Elon's toast.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
In the words of Soulja Boy ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3oae8Znp_E ) A SHOOTOUT, AYYYYY, A SHOOTOUT!

BTW: Elon finally gets the win!

GATA
November 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
App State will win this game by alot.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Don't know. Just don't know. Got a feeling that previous games don;t matter. Previous series doesn't matter and both teams are going to come out pumped and ready to play.

Outcome, I just don't know. Like I said in the other thread. App hasn;t faced a team like Elon yet. Elon hasn't faced a team like App yet. Gut says App, heart says Elon.

Otherwise, I just don't know.

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
In big games, App has the experience and in the last few years, has won more big games than any other FCS team. Elon, on the other hand, never has won a big game in FCS (no smack, just fact).

I remember the 2005 App St/Elon game at Rhodes Stadium. I was late as I got lost and when I got there, there were about 5K App fans and probably 2K Elon fans. It was the final game of the regular season. App had already won the SoCon and Elon was in last place. The only 5 Elon students who were into it were the five with their chests painted, spelling out "NKANG" for their star defensive lineman. That game was no contest. 52-14 which was only after Elon scored a TD at the very end. One of the Elon players started swinging near the end and the coach pulled everyone together and chewed into them one last time before being fired.

That game is very interesting looking back. It was the start of the recent App run of SoCon dominance and the start of rebuilding for Elon to where they are now. Now it all comes full circle.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
In big games, App has the experience and in the last few years, has won more big games than any other FCS team. Elon, on the other hand, never has won a big game in FCS (no smack, just fact).

Ok, define what never winning a big game is. Because, I beg to differ on that one. It might not be recent, but to say never is a BIG statement to make. 1999 A&T and Furman come to mind.

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ok, define what never winning a big game is. Because, I beg to differ on that one. It might not be recent, but to say never is a BIG statement to make. 1999 A&T and Furman come to mind.

Big Game = Championship Game and/or Playoff Game. A game where if you win, you get a ring and/or a banner or get another accomplishment on the banner.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Big Game = Championship Game and/or Playoff Game. A game where if you win, you get a ring and/or a banner or get another accomplishment on the banner.

LOL.

So, you mean, because we've played in 0 games like that.

If you ask me, the entire 1999 and 2000 season were big games. As an indy, every game matters. We blew big games to playoff teams like WIU and Hofstra and won big games against A&T and Furman.

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
LOL.

So, you mean, because we've played in 0 games like that.

If you ask me, the entire 1999 and 2000 season were big games. As an indy, every game matters. We blew big games to playoff teams like WIU and Hofstra and won big games against A&T and Furman.

You had two big games last year. Could of won a share of the SoCon last year vs App St, but you lost. Then could have made the playoffs with a win at Liberty, but you lost.

Yeah, the transition years were important to confidence as that was all you could play for, but it doesn't compare to games like this one where you get a reward for winning that will be etched in stone forever.

You don't get banners saying "1999 Elon football: We had a good year".

T-Dog
November 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Just to show how big this game is becoming, Southern Fried Football Tailgate is changing its schedule, opting out of the Clemson/NC State game in Raleigh to to go App St/Elon. It's not 100% official yet, but they said if both App and Elon won this past weekend, it would be a no-contest as to where they're going.

The funny thing is that from what I've seen, NC State fans aren't complaining. xlolx

neersnbeers
November 8th, 2009, 06:51 AM
If we play like we did yesterday, we lose by 10. If we're hitting on all cylinders, we win by 10. Armanti will be trying to redeem himself for his two ints and play a hell of a game! Can't wait! Go App!!!

rOryOs-ASU
November 8th, 2009, 07:26 AM
How hard will it be to get tickets , and if what would be the best way???

jonmac
November 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I think a full week of practice without Coco will be enough for Armanti to become comfortable with the other guys and for the coaches to make necessary adjustments. It's time for the defense to come through and get that focus that we've all been saying they haven't had. This may be the biggest regular season game we've had. We'll see how much that SoCon ring really means to the Apps this weekend and the Phoenix too, for that matter. This should be a great game but I'd settle for a Mountaineer blowout. Now, do I try to find a ticket to the game and make my way to Elon or do I find some place to watch on SportSouth. Which providers carry SportSouth? I'll have to find a friend with one of those providers.

GOAPPSGO!!!.

jus10asu
November 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I give Elon props for their well played season....but I'm not buyin' in to the hype. I think App rolls on Elon and lays the wood. App plays amazingly well is big game scenarios. We've been a little lax on the pass D this year but you can bet your butt that we will be prepared for the gazillion passes that Elon will throw. I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm sayin App wins buy two TDs plus. From the looks of it. Its gonna be rumbling with black and gold at Rhodes stadium.

jus10asu
November 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I think a full week of practice without Coco will be enough for Armanti to become comfortable with the other guys and for the coaches to make necessary adjustments. It's time for the defense to come through and get that focus that we've all been saying they haven't had. This may be the biggest regular season game we've had. We'll see how much that SoCon ring really means to the Apps this weekend and the Phoenix too, for that matter. This should be a great game but I'd settle for a Mountaineer blowout. Now, do I try to find a ticket to the game and make my way to Elon or do I find some place to watch on SportSouth. Which providers carry SportSouth? I'll have to find a friend with one of those providers.

GOAPPSGO!!!.

YOU FIND YOURSELF A TICKET!!! No discussion. We want this game to be like a home game at Kidd Brewer East!!!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

jonmac
November 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
YOU FIND YOURSELF A TICKET!!! No discussion. We want this game to be like a home game at Kidd Brewer East!!!xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Got an extra ticket? That's what I'm leaning toward. Anyone have an extra ticket? Anyone, even Phoenix fans?

ASU_Fanatic
November 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If we play like we did against Chattanooga we don't have a chance and I know Chattanooga is a good football but still they were a team that was lucky to beat WCU at home. But I dont think there is anyway that Armanti plays that bad again the rest of the year..it may be good that he went ahead and got the bad game out of his system.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I give Elon props for their well played season....but I'm not buyin' in to the hype. I think App rolls on Elon and lays the wood. App plays amazingly well is big game scenarios. We've been a little lax on the pass D this year but you can bet your butt that we will be prepared for the gazillion passes that Elon will throw. I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm sayin App wins buy two TDs plus. From the looks of it. Its gonna be rumbling with black and gold at Rhodes stadium.

Some of you guys act like we're still a one dimensional team. Are you guys basing it off last year still or have you really failed to look at the stats from this year? Yeah, we'll pass, but we run as much as we pass now; have a 3 RB rotation. The offense is much different than it was the past two seasons (another new OC).

As for those that want tickets. There were a few hundred general admission tickets available as of yesterday.

Kidd Brewer East, I don't think so. That would mean no opposing fans. From what I am hearing, it'll be around 10,000 Elon fans to around 4000 App fans.

ASU_Fanatic
November 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Some of you guys act like we're still a one dimensional team. Are you guys basing it off last year still or have you really failed to look at the stats from this year? Yeah, we'll pass, but we run as much as we pass now; have a 3 RB rotation. The offense is much different than it was the past two seasons (another new OC).

As for those that want tickets. There were a few hundred general admission tickets available as of yesterday.

Kidd Brewer East, I don't think so. That would mean no opposing fans. From what I am hearing, it'll be around 10,000 Elon fans to around 4000 App fans.
We will have alot more than 4000.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
We will have alot more than 4000.

Here we go. If they cap the game at 14,000 and 10,000 Elon tickets have been sold, then that is 4000.

Like two years ago when it was 13,100. Family weekend we get 11,000 typically, we had slightly less and App had the east side plus some of the grass, which was about 3500 fans.

You won't have a lot more than 4000, no matter what spin you guys want to put on it. Geez some of you guys are like Carolina fans. It's like listening to Carolina fans talk about Duke or Wake.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
GP I think ASU will have more than 4K fans there. How many does the vistor side seat? Per a recent news article the Elon ticket office stated ASU had bought a significant amount of the grass seats and I know many fans will be on the Elon side as well as the visitor side was sold out over two months ago.

As for the game I'm actually more concerned about Elon's run game. We know Riddle's going to get 200-250 yards passing no matter what. If ASU can limit the rushing yards to around 100 and do a good job on first downs that is the key to beating Elon. If Elon average 4-5 yards on first down it will be a long day for us.

phoenixphanatic21
November 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Here we go. If they cap the game at 14,000 and 10,000 Elon tickets have been sold, then that is 4000.

Like two years ago when it was 13,100. Family weekend we get 11,000 typically, we had slightly less and App had the east side plus some of the grass, which was about 3500 fans.

You won't have a lot more than 4000, no matter what spin you guys want to put on it. Geez some of you guys are like Carolina fans. It's like listening to Carolina fans talk about Duke or Wake.

I've actually heard the school is expecting 16,000+ for the game. Don't know how many they've allotted for App though. Hopefully not more than 4,000. The less of them, the better.

elonfan06
November 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Got an extra ticket? That's what I'm leaning toward. Anyone have an extra ticket? Anyone, even Phoenix fans?

I've got one for you....if you WEAR MAROON and cheer for the Phoenix! :)

I'll be honest those that have said that Elon hasn't won a "big game" I agree. We haven't won big games since '80 and '81 and going back to games in '99 don't matter, none of our current players or coaching staff were around then. We have not done well in meaningful games (Liberty '08 and Furman '07). This game, however, is different with a much more mature team. Going back to the '05 App/Elon game is meaningless as well as that was not under Lembo. That was my last game as an undergrad and i remember it well at cold cold night and it was that cold because App ran all over us and the only highlight was Nkang.

This game is different however. Elon played well at the Rock last year and I think the players took a turn from App being unstoppable to beatable. This team is focused and has much more balance. The defense is allowing the offense to eat up clock with the run game and be balance and not rely on the big play passes. I think that this a continuation of a good rivalry between a historically good program and a program that is trying to work their way to that title.

Looking forward to Saturday (my work week is going to be very unproductive).

GO PHOENIX!

TheRock21
November 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Do any of the Elon fans have some advice on parking and travel coming into Elon? My crew will be heading up from Charlotte on I-85....thanks

elon77
November 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I have 4, but there's not enough moonshine money in Boone to buy them. Now my wife would probably sell her's, but I won't let her. I can' wait. Might be fun.

elon77
November 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I've actually heard the school is expecting 16,000+ for the game. Don't know how many they've allotted for App though. Hopefully not more than 4,000. The less of them, the better.

Where in the hello are they going to put 16000 people? Better yet, where are they going to park, Greensboro?

elon77
November 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Do any of the Elon fans have some advice on parking and travel coming into Elon? My crew will be heading up from Charlotte on I-85....thanks

No place to park, all ASU fans stay home.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx We have your money now so you don't need to come. Just kidding it should be great atmosphere let's all hope for good weather. Every game I have gone to this year has been in the rain.

elonfan06
November 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM

The best "Visitor" parking and for this game parking and good tailgating is on the Firehouse Fields (Williamson Ave). The easiest way to get there is to take exit 141 (not the Elon marked 140) and take a left off the ramp (coming from Charlotte). Take your first left after crossing back over the highway (next to the Chik-fil-a). Follow that to the Church on your left and take a right, follow that for 2 miles into Elon the grass parking lot will be on your left.

There is a shuttle that goes there but it's an easy 5 minute walk to the stadium. Moseley Parking Lot is another option but that will fill up Quick. Harper lot is for Phoenix Club and students mainly. Hope that helps!

TheRock21
November 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Elonfan06 you da man! Thanks.....should be a great game. It's the first time in SoCon history two teams are undefeated in conference play this late in the season, highly anticipated.

phoenix3
November 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Here is a map of the main campus.

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/home/map.xhtml

Visitor parking is usually located just south of the railroad tracks at the "Firehouse Fields." There will likely also be parking between the railroad tracks and Oak Ave., just to the south east of main campus.

I'm looking forward to the big crowd. The weather has really been a "damper" on our attendance this year.

A big welcome to the App fans coming to Rhodes. I hope you leave a lot sadder than you come.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, firehouse field. They have shuttles running to the stadium for free, right to the gate. And its a short walk, like walking from that big lot (next to the library) on I think river street up to Kidd Brewer. A lot of your older guys have complained about the walk, but any of our campuses that are sort of land locked by things (A&T, Elon, App, Richmond, etc) parking is never ideal, especially for big on campus events.

Firehouse field will be where most of the App guys are tailgating, most of the Elon tailgating will be in Koury and Moseley lots, which will probably fill up as soon as they open.

Outside of the firehouse field, all the other lots open up 4 hours to pregame normally, I am hoping they change they attitude for that. 4 hour pregame is ok for a 1pm kickoff, a 3:30pm kickoff is completely different.

GP I think ASU will have more than 4K fans there. How many does the vistor side seat? Per a recent news article the Elon ticket office stated ASU had bought a significant amount of the grass seats and I know many fans will be on the Elon side as well as the visitor side was sold out over two months ago.

The east side (visitor's side, since there is no home/away side) only seats 850. I may be wrong, I am sure BigApp or AppMan can go re-count them to make sure.

phoenixphanatic21
November 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
So if you are like me and just can't wait til Saturday, here's a little thing you help get you pumped up for the game. Not that we really need anything to help get us pumped up for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7JaDqxpz8

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
The east side (visitor's side, since there is no home/away side) only seats 850. I may be wrong, I am sure BigApp or AppMan can go re-count them to make sure.

When ASU is in town it is the vistors side. So the one side seats 7000 and 850 on the other, that seems very lop-sided.

Not sure what the allotment was sent to ASU, but ASU fans have been buying tickets directly from Elon for months. If 16K are there good money more the 4K will be ASU fans.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
When ASU is in town it is the vistors side. So the one side seats 7000 and 850 on the other, that seems very lop-sided.

Not sure what the allotment was sent to ASU, but ASU fans have been buying tickets directly from Elon for months. If 16K are there good money more the 4K will be ASU fans.

It is lopsided. But I mean, Kidd Brewer was for years too. And its more like 7650 to 850. But I mean, sometimes students take a section over there, outside of that, there isn't one opponent we've had outside of A&T and App that have had enough fans to fill half of it.

And Elon fans have been buying tickets for months. I am just saying, you guys aren't going to spread that we had more than you crap again. I'll start posting the pictures from 2007 again to disprove that. You outnumber us in 2005; but then again, there were only 6400 people there total (near our season average), which should prove the numbers untrue that you guys claim you travel in.

And no, there is no away side. I know a number of Elon fans that sit over there every game and more that got tickets over there for this game.

Skjellyfetti
November 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM

I bought a GA grass ticket. Ticket will be shipped to Tidewater, Virginia. Is my ticket counted as an Elon or an App ticket? xeyebrowx

Skjellyfetti
November 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM

There are grass tickets available on Elon's website. Buy them up!! xnodx

biggie
November 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Will be in the 110, hoping for a good show.

This week of practice with AE and the new WR sets is important. Cadet and him need to get on the same page, he can take Coco's place. Our D will be the biggest key point though.

ASUG8
November 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM

We're only going to need 11. :D

appstfan
November 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
It is a travesty that this game is at Elon. If it was at ASU-- there would be over 30,000.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I bought a GA grass ticket. Ticket will be shipped to Tidewater, Virginia. Is my ticket counted as an Elon or an App ticket? xeyebrowx

App. Why would it be otherwise?

It is a travesty that this game is at Elon. If it was at ASU-- there would be over 30,000.

If it was at App, there would be less Elon fans that could get tickets than App fans can get tickets to our place as visitors.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know the Sagarin Spread for this game already?

BlackNGold
November 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I would assume Elon is being given the edge

Skjellyfetti
November 8th, 2009, 10:59 AM
App. Why would it be otherwise?

So they just assume those ordering tickets from outside of Burlington/Greensboro area are App tickets? Do y'all usually not have home fans come from out of town?

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I would assume Elon is being given the edge

Yep!

App. St.
Elon -7 xthumbsupx

BlackNGold
November 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yep!

App. St.
Elon -7 xthumbsupx

see imz a geniouz

GreatAppSt
November 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Do y'all usually not have home fans come from out of town?

Not so many, New Jersey is a long way off jelly.xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Someone will score 50 in this game.

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
So they just assume those ordering tickets from outside of Burlington/Greensboro area are App tickets? Do y'all usually not have home fans come from out of town?

Uhm, no, most of our fans would be out of that area. It's more a tally based on what people calling in are doing and drawing up statistical observations based on ticket purchases. In other words, if a person has bought a ticket already this year, chances are it's an Elon fan.

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
KBS was 12K on the West side and 4.5K on the East side, big difference between 7K and 1K.

The past few years ASU has brought over 3K fans to Elon, all fans ordering tickets over the weekend were quoted by Elon's ticket office they over 5K tickets have been sold to ASU.

appmountaineer
November 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
gonna be a awesome game, i think app's big-game experience gives them a slight edge. regardless of the outcome, this game should prepare both teams for the playoffs. i think that both teams make the playoffs no matter the outcome. as if this game wasnt big enough already, these teams may be playing for the #4 seed.

This is definitely the game everyone has waited for. I think we'll see a great game by both teams. I expect to see a lot of BIG HITS, and a fired up stadium. I agree Apps big game experience, and Armanti's Edwards persistence to win will be the reason the Mountaineers win this one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a lot this game. He tends to rely on his feet in when ASU gets into a shootout.

Cannot wait till be there next weekend.

Skjellyfetti
November 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Someone will score 50 in this game.

I like our chances then. Elon has never scored over 50 in a SoCon game since they joined the conference. App has a couple of times this year. xnodx

T-Dog
November 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
So if you are like me and just can't wait til Saturday, here's a little thing you help get you pumped up for the game. Not that we really need anything to help get us pumped up for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7JaDqxpz8

That's adorable. Someone used the Halo themes to hype their team up.

Fun fact. Armanti Edwards has never played in Rhodes Stadium. The only time App played there in his career, he was injured and didn't play.

T-Dog
November 8th, 2009, 03:59 PM

C&Ped from the MMB

i bought on thursday from elon tick office...guy told me app has bought a ton of ticks and estimated at least 5,000 app fans if not more.

xrulesx

CharlotteApp
November 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys - first post on AGS for me. Long time reader, but never posted.

Just ordered my grass seats today when I got back home from Boone! I have talked to MANY App fans today that went to the Phoenix website and ordered Grass Seats today.

ronpayne
November 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Guys - first post on AGS for me. Long time reader, but never posted.

Just ordered my grass seats today when I got back home from Boone! I have talked to MANY App fans today that went to the Phoenix website and ordered Grass Seats today.

Welcome to AGS (well, from a posting standpoint, lol!) Go Apps!

JMU Newbill
November 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Looking forward to watching this game. No preference either way.... but def looking forward to a good game!

ASU_MBA
November 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Since App DB Cortez Gilbert has been covering Terrell Hudgins he has held him to the following....

2007 8 catches 75 yards no touchdowns
2008 3 catches (second lowest of his career) 23 yards 1 touchdown

This will be a great match-up....gilbert has struggled at time this year but always gets up for big games....I think if we hold him under 100, we win again just like in 07 and 08

That will be the battle within the battle...

I am not sure how the game turns out, I like our chances since Edwards was off against Chatty....no way he has two bad games in a row....

wofford92
November 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Don't post much but an avid reader of site.. I 've watched for many years from the sidelines of Wofford games and saw both Elon and App game with Wofford. My prediction is an Elon win because they look to have the best defense, App st def front looked very soft, good speed in secondary but not the usual championship defense from app st. That being said app st still has the best player in the country at QB.

appsfan
November 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Section 110, Row G checking in here. I ordered these tickets with my ASU Season Tickets. The tailgating/parking area on Williamson is a good set up for tailgating. The ASU Alumni Association will have Bandana's BBQ brought in for those who sign up and order their tailgate. The walk to the stadium isn't too bad from there. In fact, in '07 we missed getting on a shuttle bus by a couple people and decided to walk in rather than wait on the next bus. Due to traffic, we actually beat the bus to the drop off point. Go Apps, beat the Feenicks!

AppMan
November 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
And its more like 7650 to 850.

From the Rhodes Stadium web site.

•Seats on home side: 6,401 •Seats on visitors' side: 1,619

SpeedkingATL
November 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
May the best team win! Hope it's as good as the Richmond/Nova game was.xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
November 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM

We won 42-17, you sure you want us playing any better than that??

yosef1969
November 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
It's the first time in SoCon history two teams are undefeated in conference play this late in the season, highly anticipated.

I saw that stated in the Charlotte Observer today but actually that's incorrect. ETSU vs Marshall in 1996 and WCU vs Furman in 1983 (in playoffs, tied in regular season) featured teams with 6-0+ records.

Saturday should be a good one. IMO the outcome depends on which ASU team shows up. Can't recall a more Jeckell and Hyde season from the Apps. As much as I prefer being comfortable and dry, it seems this version of the Mountaineers prefers playing in the slop, so in the interest of an ASU win I'll be happy to tote my poncho and endure some rain.

phoenixphanatic21
November 9th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I saw that stated in the Charlotte Observer today but actually that's incorrect. ETSU vs Marshall in 1996 and WCU vs Furman in 1983 (in playoffs, tied in regular season) featured teams with 6-0+ records.

Saturday should be a good one. IMO the outcome depends on which ASU team shows up. Can't recall a more Jeckell and Hyde season from the Apps. As much as I prefer being comfortable and dry, it seems this version of the Mountaineers prefers playing in the slop, so in the interest of an ASU win I'll be happy to tote my poncho and endure some rain.

The Observer actually talked about the App-Elon game? Wow, that's a first for them.

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM
From the Rhodes Stadium web site.

•Seats on home side: 6,401 •Seats on visitors' side: 1,619

See, I knew he'd clear it up.

ElonFirefighter
November 9th, 2009, 05:21 AM
The Observer actually talked about the App-Elon game? Wow, that's a first for them.

not really it was a blurb tied into the app state recap

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM
not really it was a blurb tied into the app state recap

Well they were talking about it on 101.1 FM Talk Radio, 107.5 on Murphy in the Morning today and it's been in all 4 local papers for 2 days. And there was a story in the Roanoke paper too. WGHP, WXII and WFMY seem to by hyping it quite a bit now....

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 05:44 AM

But 1983 feature Furman playing Western when both were undefeated earlier in the season, and that game tied.

But yes, the 1996 season was a 7-0 Marshall against a 6-0 ETSU when they met.

I think the article is trying to state that it was the first time two have played each other without a conference loss this late. But, again, that's not true either.

You;re right.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I am glad this is on TV.

ASU plays so much better when we are on TV. The GSU game last year being the only game I can remember not playing our best while on television.

DLS
November 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I am glad this is on TV.

ASU plays so much better when we are on TV. The GSU game last year being the only game I can remember not playing our best while on television.

we played like warriors at the gsu game. that was my favorite game from 2008. both teams were just going balls out on every play.

ElonPride
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I like our chances then. Elon has never scored over 50 in a SoCon game since they joined the conference. App has a couple of times this year. xnodx

Elon hasn't allowed more than 17 points in a SoCon game this season. App's allowed 20+ in 4 games (El Cid, Wofford, Furman, Chatt).

Elon's scoring defense avg v. those four teams: 8.75
App's scoring defense avg versus those four teams: 27

That's a HUGE difference. Now, those numbers DO get thrown out when talking a SoCon title.....

I am really looking forward to this game!

AppMan
November 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
See, I knew he'd clear it up.

Someone has to clear these things up since you seem unable to do so.

ASUG8
November 9th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Elon hasn't allowed more than 17 points in a SoCon game this season. App's allowed 20+ in 4 games (El Cid, Wofford, Furman, Chatt).

Elon's scoring defense avg v. those four teams: 8.75
App's scoring defense avg versus those four teams: 27

That's a HUGE difference. Now, those numbers DO get thrown out when talking a SoCon title.....

I am really looking forward to this game!

If you hold ASU to less than 17 you've accomplished quite a feat. We've been a lot like Richmond in that we've scored just enough to win most of our games. I like our chances at EU. Either way, it should be a great game.

Skjellyfetti
November 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Elon's D has good numbers. But, they haven't faced an offense in the top 50.

Skjellyfetti
November 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
And, it's official now...

Southern Fried football going to App-Elon instead of Clemson-NC State.

In a surprise schedule change, the Southern Fried Football™ Tour will be making its first visit to Elon instead of the regularly scheduled Clemson @ N.C. State game in Raleigh.

No offense to the ACC's Atlantic Division tilt, but the game between the Southern Conference powers is a bigger one. We apologize to the Wolfpack fans and the tailgaters at Carter-Finley, but we'll hopefully be back in 2010 to catch Tom O'Brien's fourth installment.

Since the Southern Conference joined the NCAA Division I FCS/1-AA sub-classification in 1982, this will mark the first time that two teams with 6-0 SoCon records or better will face each other. This game basically comes down to the Southern Conference championship.

So, we had to make the move.....it's really a no-brainer.

Last year, the Southern Fried Football™ Tour traveled to bitterly cold Boone for this match-up, so this year we're returning the favor and making our first Tour stop to Elon. Needless to say, it's the biggest football game ever at Elon.

I need to thank the adminisrators at Elon University for making this last-minute change to our schedule so easy. We'll be setting up in front of the Sorority Houses on the Elon campus.....I know what you're thinking....it's tough work, but somebody has to do it. Work, work, work....no play.

It's a 3:30 kick-off, and we plan on rolling into Elon University early Saturday morning to enjoy the scenery and pageantry of Southern Conference football.

http://www.southernfriedfootball.com/Home/xthumbsupx

bigappfan10
November 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
The timing of Hillary's injury is not good at all. The offense was rooooollling along nicely (finally) and this injury just screwed up the chemistry in bigtime way. It's just amazing in this sport that you can put in athletes just as talented and get the results we saw on Saturday. And the worst thing that could've happen happened when app jumped out to the quick lead. I was at the game, first one of the year i've had the chance to see... and ouchy. That was not good.

ElonPride
November 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Elon's D has good numbers. But, they haven't faced an offense in the top 50.

So what's that saying about ASU? The four teams mentioned in SoCon play weren't top 50 offenses but are scoring on average 3 times more against the App D.

And BTW, Elon has played a top 50 team in total offense and held them to 12 points.

App has played two. One scored 27 (more than two times more on App than against Elon), the other 40.

james_lawfirm
November 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The timing of Hillary's injury is not good at all. The offense was rooooollling along nicely (finally) and this injury just screwed up the chemistry in bigtime way. It's just amazing in this sport that you can put in athletes just as talented and get the results we saw on Saturday. And the worst thing that could've happen happened when app jumped out to the quick lead. I was at the game, first one of the year i've had the chance to see... and ouchy. That was not good.

English major?

Coco's injury could have been worse. It could have come right before the LEON game. Since it happened last week, App has a chance to re-group in time for 11/14.

yosef1969
November 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
English major?

Coco's injury could have been worse. It could have come right before the LEON game. Since it happened last week, App has a chance to re-group in time for 11/14.

Exactly, the difference in this case is not necessarily in the talent level but the timing that is developed through practice. Coco and AE have obviously developed a chemistry over the years, can't expect Frazier, Pressley and Cadet to get that same sync with AE over night. 9 days of practice isn't much, but it's still better than 3.

AppAlum96
November 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Anybody know of any way possible to view this game for those of us stuck in California? Man I hope Channelsurfing.com comes through. Otherwise, I'll just be listening to the radio stream.

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Anybody know of any way possible to view this game for those of us stuck in California? Man I hope Channelsurfing.com comes through. Otherwise, I'll just be listening to the radio stream.

Satellite, go to a sports bar, chances are they'll have it one way or another.

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Someone has to clear these things up since you seem unable to do so.

xrolleyesx

Typical. Maybe you can go count seats again Saturday, just to be sure. or heck, maybe you can go physically count the App and Elon fans so you can smack about that some more. You've only been harping on that for 8 years now.

AppAlum96
November 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Satellite, go to a sports bar, chances are they'll have it one way or another.

Hmm. There's an idea. I'll stop by the local sports joint and see if they'll be willing to have it on for us, since there will only be me and my dad with any interest in watching it, probably.

PhoenixSupreme
November 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
The game comes on SportSouth right? Man, I'm hoping my HDTV comes through in the clutch and gets the channel (it fades in and out occasionally and I have no cable). At the very least, I hope channelsurfing.net has a stream.

GreatAppSt
November 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Elon's Toast.xthumbsupx

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
So what's that saying about ASU? The four teams mentioned in SoCon play weren't top 50 offenses but are scoring on average 3 times more against the App D.

And BTW, Elon has played a top 50 team in total offense and held them to 12 points.

App has played two. One scored 27 (more than two times more on App than against Elon), the other 40.

It's a good point. App has shown wins off of sheer explosiveness and Elon has shown wins over control and consistency in games. McNeese seems to be the game where App played a team showing consistency outside of ECU. Furman was the same thing for Elon, outside of Wake. Elon has yet to play an FCS team that shows the explosive ability that App has. And App hasn't played a team that seems to be as consistent on both sides of the ball as Elon. None of it is really an apples to apples comparison and neither can really be used, thus far, to dictate anything overall.

The only thing it shows is that over the course of the games so far:
Furman and Elon matched up much closer to each other than App and Furman did. It's got to be one of the big reasons that was so close.
And there has to be something that says UTC and The Citadel matched up against App better than they matched up against us.

What does it mean? Nothing. Both are good teams that play totally different ball games to win the games they have so far.

What's going to happen Saturday? Goodness only knows. There's going to be a lot of disappointed fans around 6pm one way or another.

Rekdiver
November 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Its a toss up. Elon finally found a defense....musta been the one we lost. I do believe there will be more ASU fans at the game than elon fans. Both are playoff teams and the game will have a FCS playoff game atmosphere.

boonegoon
November 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
It's a good point. App has shown wins off of sheer explosiveness and Elon has shown wins over control and consistency in games. McNeese seems to be the game where App played a team showing consistency outside of ECU. Furman was the same thing for Elon, outside of Wake. Elon has yet to play an FCS team that shows the explosive ability that App has. And App hasn't played a team that seems to be as consistent on both sides of the ball as Elon. None of it is really an apples to apples comparison and neither can really be used, thus far, to dictate anything overall.

The only thing it shows is that over the course of the games so far:
Furman and Elon matched up much closer to each other than App and Furman did. It's got to be one of the big reasons that was so close.
And there has to be something that says UTC and The Citadel matched up against App better than they matched up against us.

What does it mean? Nothing. Both are good teams that play totally different ball games to win the games they have so far.

What's going to happen Saturday? Goodness only knows. There's going to be a lot of disappointed fans around 6pm one way or another.

Overall, I think you have something here. App hasn't faced an offense as talented since McNeese and I don't think Elon has at all, other than Wake. That being said, which wins; Excellent offense vs. good defense or good offense vs. avg defense?

Cincy App
November 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I do believe there will be more ASU fans at the game than elon fans. Both are playoff teams and the game will have a FCS playoff game atmosphere.

The safest prediction for the Elon-ASU game relates to the attendance - not the game outcome. It's safe to say that there will be more Elon fans at the game than ASU fans recognize - but more ASU fans present than GP will say!

Personally, I expect about a 55-60 percent of the crowd will be Elon fans. Elon can thank us later for spiking up their average attendance!

Cincy App
November 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I do believe there will be more ASU fans at the game than elon fans. Both are playoff teams and the game will have a FCS playoff game atmosphere.

The safest prediction for the Elon-ASU game relates to the attendance - not the game outcome. It's safe to say that there will be more Elon fans at the game than ASU fans recognize - but more ASU fans present than GP will say!

Personally, I expect about 60 percent of the crowd will be Elon fans. Elon can thank us later for spiking up their average attendance!

gophoenix
November 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Its a toss up. Elon finally found a defense....musta been the one we lost. I do believe there will be more ASU fans at the game than elon fans. Both are playoff teams and the game will have a FCS playoff game atmosphere.

You guys will have a lot for sure. The only way you outnumber us is if it rains. For some reason, Elon fans come out in crappy numbers unless the sun is shining. It is embarassing to people like me, Ankletaper, EFF, PhoenixMan, Whoenelli and OTA who show up in anything to see a game no matter what the team looks like.

Madisonian
November 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Should be an exciting game. Good luck to both teams. I'm looking forward to catching it on Saturday.

PhoenixMan
November 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
You guys will have a lot for sure. The only way you outnumber us is if it rains. For some reason, Elon fans come out in crappy numbers unless the sun is shining. It is embarassing to people like me, Ankletaper, EFF, PhoenixMan, Whoenelli and OTA who show up in anything to see a game no matter what the team looks like.

I hope there is a lot of Maroon in that stadium, and I hope they get loud. I will do my best to see that happen. I know there will be plenty of black and gold...having a tailgate at my house before the game (I live 5 min. from the stadium) and most of the folks coming are diehard Appys. Should be fun!

whoanellie
November 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM
think App will wear those cat-crap golden looking jersey's?
yuck!!!

HighRyder08
November 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
no they were auctioned off already! i hope we rock the all whites

AppMan
November 9th, 2009, 11:04 PM
xrolleyesx

Typical. Maybe you can go count seats again Saturday, just to be sure. or heck, maybe you can go physically count the App and Elon fans so you can smack about that some more. You've only been harping on that for 8 years now.

Actually its only been about 3 years, but as long as you keep trying to claim something that isn't true I'll keep calling you on it. BTW, sorry to disapoint you, but I won't be at the game.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Actually its only been about 3 years, but as long as you keep trying to claim something that isn't true I'll keep calling you on it. BTW, sorry to disapoint you, but I won't be at the game.

xrolleyesx

Boy of boy you just keep trying to dig. "Something like" and "i think" aren't exactly

And no, archive.org says you started this in 2004. it was pretty simple to go look up the posts archived from MMB and CatamountPride.

but hey, if it makes you feel better and you have nothing better to do xthumbsupx

appmaj
November 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I am picking App to win...I really hope this game can live up to and maybe even provide more excitement. Would love for the fBS teams in this state to take notice...

elonfan06
November 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM

You're forgetting one. I've been coming down from DC every weekend and went to the App game last yaer plus 3 other home games. I know our DC crew is bringing a number of people down and there will be even more at our sponsor bar. The forecast right now looks good but it's still Tuesday. I don't think rain or snow will deter many Elon fans this weekend and there was a good showing last year in Boone. I think we are really going to see what our defense is made of this weekend. As long as we don't have refs that take out our DB's or are blind (Wake) AE and party will really test their "swagger".

Man is it only Tuesday?

GO PHOENIX!

ASUG8
November 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
You're forgetting one. I've been coming down from DC every weekend and went to the App game last yaer plus 3 other home games. I know our DC crew is bringing a number of people down and there will be even more at our sponsor bar. The forecast right now looks good but it's still Tuesday. I don't think rain or snow will deter many Elon fans this weekend and there was a good showing last year in Boone. I think we are really going to see what our defense is made of this weekend. As long as we don't have refs that take out our DB's or are blind (Wake) AE and party will really test their "swagger".

Man is it only Tuesday?

GO PHOENIX!

That's admirable to make that trip to see good football. I have a friend who drives down from DC to watch every home NCSU game, which is far from good football. xoopsx

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Man is it only Tuesday?

GO PHOENIX!

It's a given that both teams are going to have to deal with poor refs. Even when I watch SoCon games where ASU is not playing, I can't believe the poor officials. Just hope they remember to blow the whistle as both teams will lay the lumber until they hear a whistle and it would be a shame for someone to get hurt because of that. We already saw Cortez Gilbert get hurt earlier this year because a whistle was 5 seconds !!! late. There will be more speed on the field for this game that they've seen all year so hope they bring their A game.

jcmanson
November 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Any tv for this game?

SoCon48
November 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Well they were talking about it on 101.1 FM Talk Radio, 107.5 on Murphy in the Morning today and it's been in all 4 local papers for 2 days. And there was a story in the Roanoke paper too. WGHP, WXII and WFMY seem to by hyping it quite a bit now....

Brad at 101.1 has a daughter at App.

proasu89
November 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Any tv for this game?

SportsSouth @ 3pm

jcmanson
November 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
SportsSouth @ 3pm

thanks

elonfan06
November 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It's a given that both teams are going to have to deal with poor refs. Even when I watch SoCon games where ASU is not playing, I can't believe the poor officials. Just hope they remember to blow the whistle as both teams will lay the lumber until they hear a whistle and it would be a shame for someone to get hurt because of that. We already saw Cortez Gilbert get hurt earlier this year because a whistle was 5 seconds !!! late. There will be more speed on the field for this game that they've seen all year so hope they bring their A game.

I'm not trying to have a ref hating before the game, I was just recounting more Sullivan getting taken out by the ref at Wake as an example of how the Elon Defense has stacked up well against opposing offenses less that incident. I hope we don't complain about officiating on Sunday xthumbsupx

AppIAA
November 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I hope we don't complain about officiating on Sunday xthumbsupx

If it's SoCon refs, I guarantee there will be complaining -- they seem to get worse year after year

ElonFirefighter
November 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
http://websportsradio.com/images/ref.jpg

http://timsonlinebetting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bad-ref-www.casinoguidecanada.ca-NFL-Betting-Online-Betting-Online-Sportsbook.jpg

blazrdog#1
November 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Elon WILL lose to Samford and Appy State will lose in the first round!

biggie
November 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Elon WILL lose to Samford and Appy State will lose in the first round!
Based on your predictions this year, thanks, that should seal up the NC for App.

BlackNGold
November 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
lol...

"You give me EGGRoll, me Love you Long Time"

AppAlum2003
November 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Elon fans - what is the #1 strength and #1 weakness of your defense? Strong secondary? Strong linebacker corps?

ElonFirefighter
November 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez-WNyd7yVA

PhoenixMan
November 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Elon fans - what is the #1 strength and #1 weakness of your defense? Strong secondary? Strong linebacker corps?

The pass rush and stopping the inside run (so the DL) is a strength. The secondary is fast and experienced, and they like to hit. LB corps is young, and makes some assignment mistakes, but they fly to ball and play 100% on every plays. It's the number one Defense in FCS, there aren't many weaknesses. Just some inexperience at LB.

PhoenixMan
November 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Jerry Rice's record......not bad for a player from little 'Ol Elon.

BlackNGold
November 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hudgins is the man!
I hope you guys plan on using him as a decoy again... Like last year

PhoenixMan
November 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hudgins is the man!
I hope you guys plan on using him as a decoy again... Like last year

I was there. It was no decoy, the dude was just covered. This time around we plan to just rush for 400 or so yds. and keep the clock running, and thus the ball out of AE's hands.xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
November 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I was there. It was no decoy, the dude was just covered. This time around we plan to just rush for 400 or so yds. and keep the clock running, and thus the ball out of AE's hands.xthumbsupx

Well, I don't believe Elon is going to rush for 400 yards against us. The number 1 rushing offense and the number 5 rushing offense weren't able to do it. Elon averages less than half that. But, if y'all want to eliminate Hudgins and Riddle from your gameplan from the get-go... be my guest. xnodx

If it were me... I'd try different formations, motions, etc. to try to get Hudgins lined up against Ed Gainey. I think that's what will lead to sucess for Elon's offense. I wouldn't get away from what's gotten you to this point in the first place... ie, becoming a rush first offense instead of a pass first offense. xtwocentsx

ASUG8
November 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM

If history has taught us anything, AE will get the ball and his points. Plus, we have running backs this season.

BulldogWillie
November 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
AppState @ Elon. this game'sa gonna be large!

ericsaid
November 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Well, I don't believe Elon is going to rush for 400 yards against us. The number 1 rushing offense and the number 5 rushing offense weren't able to do it. Elon averages less than half that. But, if y'all want to eliminate Hudgins and Riddle from your gameplan from the get-go... be my guest. xnodx

If it were me... I'd try different formations, motions, etc. to try to get Hudgins lined up against Ed Gainey. I think that's what will lead to sucess for Elon's offense. I wouldn't get away from what's gotten you to this point in the first place... ie, becoming a rush first offense instead of a pass first offense. xtwocentsx

It seems to me like Cortez has been challenged more than Ed Gainey this year leading me to believe that opposing teams see a weakness. Either way I believe Legree gets his 5th and 6th interception of the year this week.

McDuffie will be back as well.xthumbsupx

proasu89
November 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
It seems to me like Cortez has been challenged more than Ed Gainey this year leading me to believe that opposing teams see a weakness. Either way I believe Legree gets his 5th and 6th interception of the year this week.

McDuffie will be back as well.xthumbsupx

How many games have you seen from the arm pit of NC? That's Greenville for the uninformed.xlolx Cortez may get challenged but Gainey's getting beat like a mule.

yosef1969
November 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Jerry Rice's record......not bad for a player from little 'Ol Elon.

It is a nice accomplishment but playing the "lil ole Elon" card doesn't work. Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State, a school with about half the enrollment of lil ole Elon.

PhoenixMan
November 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
It is a nice accomplishment but playing the "lil ole Elon" card doesn't work. Jerry Rice played at Mississippi Valley State, a school with about half the enrollment of lil ole Elon.

My comment about 'lil ole Elon was meant for one your fellow App St. fans who posted the other day about how upset he was and embarrassed for the SoCon when he heard Elon was joining the conference. Now, just a few short years later App St. and Elon square off for a SoCon championship and an autobid. Not comparing Miss. Valley St. and Elon (I did check, Miss. Valley has 3,100 enrolled so your numbers were about right).

AppMan
November 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
xrolleyesx

Boy of boy you just keep trying to dig. "Something like" and "i think" aren't exactly

And no, archive.org says you started this in 2004. it was pretty simple to go look up the posts archived from MMB and CatamountPride.

but hey, if it makes you feel better and you have nothing better to do xthumbsupx

Actually it was 2005 when I debunked the Elon 12,000 seat myth. BTW, "something like" and "I think" is more like missing it by 300 not 1200. Looks like you have nothing better to do if you're going back looking up posts on the MMB. Glad I could help you pass some time. Hope you enjoy the game Saturday.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
My comment about 'lil ole Elon was meant for one your fellow App St. fans who posted the other day about how upset he was and embarrassed for the SoCon when he heard Elon was joining the conference. Now, just a few short years later App St. and Elon square off for a SoCon championship and an autobid. Not comparing Miss. Valley St. and Elon (I did check, Miss. Valley has 3,100 enrolled so your numbers were about right).

Take a look at what that little 1500 student school in Spartanburg has accomplished with SoCon titles and deep playoff runs before you talk "small college". xrulesx

catamount man
November 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
asug8, check your facebook page. Got an offer for ya! xthumbsupx

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Actually it was 2005 when I debunked the Elon 12,000 seat myth. BTW, "something like" and "I think" is more like missing it by 300 not 1200. Looks like you have nothing better to do if you're going back looking up posts on the MMB. Glad I could help you pass some time. Hope you enjoy the game Saturday.

Isn't that what all this is? A bunch of who cares and and football talk that doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of life? it's entertainment, lighten up.

AppMan
November 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Isn't that what all this is? A bunch of who cares and and football talk that doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of life? it's entertainment, lighten up.

That is exactly what it is, nothing else. I can't help myself, but it is just too easy to get under some people's skin. Toss out the bait an watch 'em grab it and run. Too funny.

Appinator
November 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Good story in a local paper:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/elon-29566-text-hudgins.html

Definitely surprising. While I appreciate good sportsmanship and the lesson it teaches us all, I kind of like it more when both teams really loath each other and take it out on the field.

Also a good read from Charleston:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/nov/11/app-state-vs-elon-for-first-everyone-else-for/

Appinator
November 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Not to over do-it, but southern pigskin posted a link to an interview with Hudgins too:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/hudgins_on_records_app

yosef1969
November 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM

I don't know that embarrassed is the word I would use but certainly concerned would be appropriate. Performance on the field has nothing to do with it, it's about the right fit. More and more it looks as though it's ASU that no longer fits.

Four of the five schools admitted into the SoCon since 1997 have been small private schools, UNCG is the only exception. The SoCon has shifted from a history of being made up of mostly regional universities to more and more small private schools. If you're a fan of one of the publics it has to make you wonder whether the direction of the conference is in your program's best interest.

ElonPride
November 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
The SoCon has shifted from a history of being made up of mostly regional universities to more and more small private schools.

Ummm....looks like Elon and App are in the same classification:

For the third year in a row, Elon is ranked #2 among 117 Southern master’s-level universities, the top North Carolina school in the category:

1. Rollins College
2. Elon University
3. Stetson University
4. James Madison University
5. The Citadel
6. Loyola University New Orleans
7. Belmont University
8. (tie) Mercer University
Appalachian State University
10. College of Charleston

Bogus Megapardus
November 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Oddsmakers are favoring Pete Lembo's Phoenix squad by 6. With an O/U of 53½, the money is saying Elon 30 - 24 over Appalachian State.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Oddsmakers are favoring Pete Lembo's Phoenix squad by 6. With an O/U of 53½, the money is saying Elon 30 - 24 over Appalachian State.

Score seems right, I'm just not convinced who's going to be on the higher side of it just yet.

elon77
November 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Just a thought, Elon vs ASU is a big game, but next weeks game will be bigger for one team. What in the hello am I talking about? If ASU looses they will have 3 losses and would they make the playoffs with 4? I say no. The same about Elon, if they loose this week they will have 2 loses, but if they were to also loose to Samford next week would they make the playoffs with 3 losses? I say nope, so next week could be a very big game for both teams. I know, I know all the ASU fans are saying there's no way that they will loose to Western, but you never know!

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM

We'll miss you, AppMan. I'll be sure to cheer more loudly than usual to help fill the gap. :D

SoCon48
November 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just a thought, Elon vs ASU is a big game, but next weeks game will be bigger for one team. What in the hello am I talking about? If ASU looses they will have 3 losses and would they make the playoffs with 4? I say no. The same about Elon, if they loose this week they will have 2 loses, but if they were to also loose to Samford next week would they make the playoffs with 3 losses? I say nope, so next week could be a very big game for both teams. I know, I know all the ASU fans are saying there's no way that they will loose to Western, but you never know!

Yeah the selection committee doesn't consider one team playing two tough games while another plays pansies.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
The SoCon has shifted from a history of being made up of mostly regional universities to more and more small private schools.

The SoCon has shifted 6 times over the course if the history of the conference. Simply put.

It went from being a large major college conference covering the SE
To being a large major college conference covering the south atlantic seaboard
To being a league consisting of half and half private schools with small public schools
To loosing those private schools and taking in NAIA and D-II moveup schools
To moving into becoming a conference of larger regional public schools majority
Then to becoming another half and half of regional public schools, regional private schools and national private schools.

To say that the change into what it is now is something new, or the change in general is something new simply put, isn't true.

I don't know that embarrassed is the word I would use but certainly concerned would be appropriate. Performance on the field has nothing to do with it, it's about the right fit. More and more it looks as though it's ASU that no longer fits.

Four of the five schools admitted into the SoCon since 1997 have been small private schools, UNCG is the only exception. The SoCon has shifted from a history of being made up of mostly regional universities to more and more small private schools. If you're a fan of one of the publics it has to make you wonder whether the direction of the conference is in your program's best interest.

Size is all about perception. Duke, Miami and Wake are both tiny in comparison to Florida State, NC State, Clemson, Maryland, etc. Tulsa, Rice, Tulane are tiny in comparison with ECU, UAB, UCF, UTEP and Memphis. And there are tons of comparisons with it. The comparison of App to Elon is much more comparable than FSU to Wake Forest in terms of size, since people like you seem to be obsessed with it. I find it very interesting that the complaints come out of the same fans in the SoCon, but never seem to come out of the CAA or OVC where similar scenarios exist.

Also to ask. The SoCon for the past 50 years has been made up by primarily regional and national universities. Wofford, Samford, Davidson and Furman are the only national universities in the conference. Elon, along with The Citadel and every other University in the conference are listed as regional universities.

Which simply put, your assertions are untrue.

The "fit" argument, along with the "size" complaint as well as the private school complaint is nothing more than wanting an image and perception of App different. In essence, and inferiority complex -- especially if on the field performance, type of university, status of university, accomplishments and so on don't matter.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The SoCon has shifted 6 times over the course if the history of the conference. Simply put.

It went from being a large major college conference covering the SE
To being a large major college conference covering the south atlantic seaboard
To being a league consisting of half and half private schools with small public schools
To loosing those private schools and taking in NAIA and D-II moveup schools
To moving into becoming a conference of larger regional public schools majority
Then to becoming another half and half of regional public schools, regional private schools and national private schools.

To say that the change into what it is now is something new, or the change in general is something new simply put, isn't true.

Size is all about perception. Duke, Miami and Wake are both tiny in comparison to Florida State, NC State, Clemson, Maryland, etc. Tulsa, Rice, Tulane are tiny in comparison with ECU, UAB, UCF, UTEP and Memphis. And there are tons of comparisons with it. The comparison of App to Elon is much more comparable than FSU to Wake Forest in terms of size, since people like you seem to be obsessed with it. I find it very interesting that the complaints come out of the same fans in the SoCon, but never seem to come out of the CAA or OVC where similar scenarios exist.

Also to ask. The SoCon for the past 50 years has been made up by primarily regional and national universities. Wofford, Samford, Davidson and Furman are the only national universities in the conference. Elon, along with The Citadel and every other University in the conference are listed as regional universities.

Which simply put, your assertions are untrue.

The "fit" argument, along with the "size" complaint as well as the private school complaint is nothing more than wanting an image and perception of App different. In essence, and inferiority complex -- especially if on the field performance, type of university, status of university, accomplishments and so on don't matter.

You're kidding, right? xconfusedx

And the word is "losing", not "loosing".

elon77
November 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah the selection committee doesn't consider one team playing two tough games while another plays pansies.

Don't forget about NCCU. Were they a pansy or petunia?

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Don't forget about NCCU. Were they a pansy or petunia?

Hmmm...
Davidson, Presby, Wake, or
ECU, McNeese, NCCU

I think we win SOS.

elon77
November 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hmmm...
ECU, McNeese, NCCU

I think we win SOS.

Davidson/NCCU that's a wash, Wake/ECU that's a wash, Presbyterian/ McNeese....... well we did have to go to their place to win.xlolx You did play McNeese at home.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Davidson/NCCU that's a wash, Wake/ECU that's a wash, Presbyterian/ McNeese....... well we did have to go to their place to win.xlolx You did play McNeese at home.

...and McNeese was a #16 when we played them, now #10 while Presbyterian....um.....has lost every game. Wake blew you out, we played ECU with 2nd and 3rd string QB's for a 5 point loss. I'll stand by my SOS comment.

ronpayne
November 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Davidson = NCCU? sure
Wake = ECU? maybe but doubtful
Presby = #10 McNeese Not even close.

You've played a great season, and I think its going to be a heck of a game, but I have to disagree with your conclusions there.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
You're kidding, right? xconfusedx

And the word is "losing", not "loosing".

Seriously, that's where it is, spelling correction on a sports board where the spell checker locks up some browsers??? Seriously, that's what you're doing?

And no, I am not kidding. The premise was made that the SoCon today is unprecedented. That is false. The SoCon has changed it's image consistently every 20 years as events pan out. Where it is now isn't far off from what it looked like in the 1960s before the group of NAIA and D-II moveups (ECU, App, Western, UTC, ETSU) and schools with struggling programs (Marshall) came in. GW, Richmond, W&M left because of those very things and the change in the conference.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Seriously, that's where it is, spelling correction on a sports board where the spell checker locks up some browsers??? Seriously, that's what you're doing?

And no, I am not kidding. The premise was made that the SoCon today is unprecedented. That is false. The SoCon has changed it's image consistently every 20 years as events pan out. Where it is now isn't far off from what it looked like in the 1960s before the group of NAIA and D-II moveups (ECU, App, Western, UTC, ETSU) and schools with struggling programs (Marshall) came in. GW, Richmond, W&M left because of those very things and the change in the conference.

My comment was directed toward the "Elon envy" that we Hillbillies apparently have. Read the highlighted portion again.

BlackNGold
November 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Me Envy Elon? nonono

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...
ECU, McNeese, NCCU

I think we win SOS.

Like your schedule last year with LSU, Presbyterian and Jacksonville. but that didn't stop your fans from talking everything up.

because I remember last year that being 2-1 to Richmond, Stony Brook and Presbyterian last year, which beat App's OOC SoS, wasn't enough to quiet the App fans at the time (hit up search on AGS to see).

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
My comment was directed toward the "Elon envy" that we Hillbillies apparently have. Read the highlighted portion again.

Is that in response to me, or something from yesterday?

CrackerRiley
November 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Like your schedule last year with LSU, Presbyterian and Jacksonville. but that didn't stop your fans from talking everything up.

because I remember last year that being 2-1 to Richmond, Stony Brook and Presbyterian last year, which beat App's OOC SoS, wasn't enough to quiet the App fans at the time (hit up search on AGS to see).

Wait.... what?! An argument can now be made that Elon had a better OOC schedule last year too?! I do not see that either xlolx

I think App may have won the head-to-head anyways, so that argument is moot xthumbsupx

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM

If you want to talk prior years we can do that, but it really has no impact on what's occurred this season. I think you could include the beating you took in Boone in that list if you want to include that, along with the Liberty loss but again, that's practically ancient history.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Is that in response to me, or something from yesterday?

See post #165. That's what I referenced. IN BOLD.

appirishmen
November 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
davidson....presby......ECU....mcneese...... WHO CARES....LETS PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appinator
November 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
davidson....presby......ECU....mcneese...... WHO CARES....LETS PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

green jacket, gold jacket.....

ThompsonThe
November 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM

It's NOT dot com.....it's ChannelSurfing.NET

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If you want to talk prior years we can do that, but it really has no impact on what's occurred this season. I think you could include the beating you took in Boone in that list if you want to include that, along with the Liberty loss but again, that's practically ancient history.

None of it has any weight to the game anyway. I was just pointing out that a similar schedule was made by App last year as Elon this year the arguments being made against ours now wasn't made too much against App last year.

I am not one of those that thinks the OOC schedule means a hill of beans for the game this weekend.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM

I know right, seems like Saturday can't get here fast enough.

ASUG8
November 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
None of it has any weight to the game anyway. I was just pointing out that a similar schedule was made by App last year as Elon this year the arguments being made against ours now wasn't made too much against App last year.

I am not one of those that thinks the OOC schedule means a hill of beans for the game this weekend.

Only to the extent that a team has been tested during the course of the season. Granted, our two OOC's (and losses) were the first of the season and we've been riding the rollercoaster since then with blowouts and close wins. I expect both teams to leave it all on the field Saturday - this is the biggest game in Rhodes history, as well as a huge bragging rights game for both parties.

yosef1969
November 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Not a matter of want, matter of reality, tell me with a straight face that ASU is not significantly different than Elon, Wofford, Furman and Samford. Each is a very good school and had success on the athlethic fields as well as academics but they are very different (look at enrollments, attendance, Facilities, $$ spent on athletics etc). Nothing at all wrong with mixing private schools with the publics in an athletic conference but when 4 of 5 new members in the last decade or so are private what message does that send to the regional public universities? The priorities of an athletic conference dominated by private schools are different than one more slanted toward public schools. IMO ASU would benefit more being in a conference of programs that more closely resembling themselves.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Moved this over from another thread.

That post is another typical obnoxious (and ridiculous) App illusion. Everyone circles App. St. on their schedule, and plays better against them than any other team? Teams don't try to play to their highest potential each week? Pump some oxygen in to them there hills, the ASU folks are losing it.

Ask JMU fans how big a deal App State was.

Ask Georgia Southern who had their first ever Blue Out against us.

Ask Furman who had their first ever White Out against us.

Ask Western every single year.

Ask Samford who had their second biggest crowd ever against us (only second to Air McNair)

Ask Wofford who's record attendance is against App in 2007

Heck, ask ECU who is considering a series with us including a game in BOA in Charlotte.

GreatAppSt
November 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Have I said Elon's toast yet?

proasu89
November 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Have I said Elon's toast yet?

xscanx

First time today xlolx

SoCon48
November 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Which team last year was equal to LSU???

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Not a matter of want, matter of reality, tell me with a straight face that ASU is not significantly different than Elon, Wofford, Furman and Samford. Each is a very good school and had success on the athlethic fields as well as academics but they are very different (look at enrollments, attendance, Facilities, $$ spent on athletics etc). Nothing at all wrong with mixing private schools with the publics in an athletic conference but when 4 of 5 new members in the last decade or so are private what message does that send to the regional public universities? The priorities of an athletic conference dominated by private schools are different than one more slanted toward public schools. IMO ASU would benefit more being in a conference of programs that more closely resembling themselves.

First, why?

Second, in this age of diversity is "good" why is being in a diverse conference bad? I am not saying I disagree with you, just expand on your logic.

Third, if you look at athletic budgets for M&W Basketball, Baseball, M&W Soccer and Football; funding at Samford, Elon, Furman is above App.

Forth, Why blame it on private schools. This is part of the reason I'll sit and question App fans that say this. You are using private schools as a scape goat to push this inferiority or superiority complex. But you don't sit and say that you have nothing in common with UTC, The Citadel or Western anymore either, only private schools.

Fifth, yes, I will say with a straight face that Elon and App are not significantly different. I flipped a coin between Elon and App. The only major difference is student population demographics. Elon is much more diverse from not only a racial perspective but also on a state by state perspective. Elon has a smaller enrollment. Outside of that, the goal of the universities is the same in both athletics and academics.

Sixth, if private schools are the problem, then when you look at the total number of sports offered, why are the private schools in the top 1/3 of the conference where Western and GSU at the bottom?

Seventh, 4 of 5 new members have been private. Really it is 4 of 6; but the point stands. 3 of 3 have been for football. That's fine. But when you look at the numbers, 2 of 2 SOCON public schools dropped football or moved because of football competitiveness. And there are fans on Western's board asking whether they should move to D-II or stay here (may be tongue in cheek, but the point stands also, never read anything like that out of Elon, Wofford, Samford or Furman fans). So really, is it the private schools that are the problem? And in this day and age of budget cuts, the private schools are not hit as hard as public schools that depend on tax money and student fees. The Louisiana schools come to mind as proof. EKU has had cuts published affecting travel. So what choices did you have other than Elon, Wofford or Samford. Coastal? SC State (who's budget makes the lowest SoCon school look high)? Seriously....

Eighth, where are the private schools lagging in facilities? App's are top notch now. The center at Western is nice. UTC has a great stadium. And so on. But, where are Furman, Wofford, Samford and Elon lagging in facilities? Why does attendance even matter? It's the funniest thing, you never hear JMU fans complaining about Northeastern's 2000 a game or Hofstra's 3000 per game like you do App fans complaining about Elon and Wofford's 9000. Who has room to complain more?

Ninth, no one has yet to define what the different priorities are for the SoCon before Wofford, Elon and Samford compared to now. So, please, tell me, fill me in, what's going to change in another conference based on priorities set by a mixture of different schools vs one with mainly publics. What's going to change in another league with App sized schools?

Which is why say, it's all about image and making yourselves feel like you're different, when in fact, no matter where you are or who you're playing, you're still the same App. No amount of change is going to make people look at App any different. Goodness knows 2 good seasons hasn't changed opinions like yours about Elon.

Keep in mind, I am making the points as seriousness and not being made as smack.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Good news for Elon fans is that they have 10 times better chance to beat us than anytime recently.

Bad news. 10 x 0% chance of winning = 0.

yosef1969
November 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
First, why? ASU would gain more exposure playing games against other like schools such as ECU, Marshall, MTSU etc.

Second, in this age of diversity is "good" why is being in a diverse conference bad? I am not saying I disagree with you, just expand on your logic. Clearly said diversity wasn't a bad thing but it's not a matter of diversity, it's a trend toward one type of school.

Third, if you look at athletic budgets for M&W Basketball, Baseball, M&W Soccer and Football; funding at Samford, Elon, Furman is above App.Are you talking all inclusive? I don't know the entire breakdown by sport also know that the reporting is often different but ASU's overall athletics budget is higher.

Forth, Why blame it on private schools. This is part of the reason I'll sit and question App fans that say this. You are using private schools as a scape goat to push this inferiority or superiority complex. But you don't sit and say that you have nothing in common with UTC, The Citadel or Western anymore either, only private schools. Not necessarily "blaming" the private schools and not a complex but if you want to make it a defensive argument have at it. I often complain about the other publics in the SoCon because they have grown complacent as well. Western and GSU are both under current leadership that is content to lose and maintain status quo. ASU was in the same spot in the 90's, poor leadership resulted in poor performance. Poor leadership at ETSU cost them their football program.

Fifth, yes, I will say with a straight face that Elon and App are not significantly different. I flipped a coin between Elon and App. The only major difference is student population demographics. Elon is much more diverse from not only a racial perspective but also on a state by state perspective. Elon has a smaller enrollment. Outside of that, the goal of the universities is the same in both athletics and academics. IMO The difference is more significant than you're admitting. Being in the SoCon is one of the significant things they have in common. I believe you are the exception most kids that go to APP flip coins to decide between ASU and: WCU, NCSU, ECU, UNCC, UNCW.

Sixth, if private schools are the problem, then when you look at the total number of sports offered, why are the private schools in the top 1/3 of the conference where Western and GSU at the bottom?Show me where I said private schools are "a problem". Also, See answer 4

Seventh, 4 of 5 new members have been private. Really it is 4 of 6; Correct, my errorbut the point stands. 3 of 3 have been for football. That's fine. But when you look at the numbers, 2 of 2 SOCON public schools dropped football or moved because of football competitiveness. And there are fans on Western's board asking whether they should move to D-II or stay here (may be tongue in cheek, but the point stands also, never read anything like that out of Elon, Wofford, Samford or Furman fans). So really, is it the private schools that are the problem? again with the "problem"And in this day and age of budget cuts, the private schools are not hit as hard as public schools that depend on tax money and student fees. The Louisiana schools come to mind as proof. EKU has had cuts published affecting travel. So what choices did you have other than Elon, Wofford or Samford. Coastal? SC State (who's budget makes the lowest SoCon school look high)? Seriously....yep seriously and that's actually sort of the point? However if you're gonna pilfer an OVC school why not go after JSU, TENN ST or try to lure one or two from the bloated CAA, or even a private Liberty, etc

Eighth, where are the private schools lagging in facilities? App's are top notch now. The center at Western is nice. UTC has a great stadium. And so on. But, where are Furman, Wofford, Samford and Elon lagging in facilities? Why does attendance even matter? It's the funniest thing, you never hear JMU fans complaining about Northeastern's 2000 a game or Hofstra's 3000 per game like you do App fans complaining about Elon and Wofford's 9000. Who has room to complain more?App Fans travel well, the attendance records at KBS are with no visting fan support, it would be nice to pick up some of that travel revenue. Also, I concede that this one isn't necessarily a private school issue but it is a SoCon issue but with fewer students and fewer alums private schools are at a disadvantage

Ninth, no one has yet to define what the different priorities are for the SoCon before Wofford, Elon and Samford compared to now. So, please, tell me, fill me in, what's going to change in another conference based on priorities set by a mixture of different schools vs one with mainly publics. What's going to change in another league with App sized schools?The SoCon was stagnant for many years, most of the programs remained status quo with few upgrades, half assed commitment to athletics and poor to downright pathetic leadership. ETSU played in an industrial warehouse built in the 70's for pete's sake, ASU downsized KBS after promises of "upgrades", etc. "The problem" as you like to put it, has been the SoCon for sometime. Characterize however you like, a lack of direction or cohesiveness, whatever. From an ASU fan perspective the new direction is clear. Since the two publics left and the new additions came in, the league has clearly set a trend towards favoring the smaller school

Which is why say, it's all about image and making yourselves feel like you're different, when in fact, no matter where you are or who you're playing, you're still the same App. No amount of change is going to make people look at App any different. Goodness knows 2 good seasons hasn't changed opinions like yours about Elon.I've never taken issue with Furman, maybe it's the history, the rivalry, whatever they've gotten a pass in large part and I know that's hypocritical but it's just the way it is. But remember what we're talking about here, the reaction to finding out that Wofford, then Elon, then Samford were being admitted to the SoCon. Good for them, always felt that way, but most of the benefit of them joining was one sided. ASU, UTC and GSU benefited little while Elon, Wofford and Samford benefitted greatly. After the recent successes in football, for ASU to continue to grow and improve they would benefit by being challenged by similar schools that have made even larger commitments.

Keep in mind, I am making the points as seriousness and not being made as smack.Keep in mind I am replying in all seriousness and no smack intended. Elon had every right to want to be in the SoCon and are doing well in recent years just as Wofford has done and Samford is likely to do. But was it an inferiority or superiority complex that made Elon want to move up to FCS and the SoCon? or did your school simply want to find a better fit? I've got news for you, there is zero difference in the opinion of many ASU fans that the SoCon is longer the right fit for ASU, don't know why that's so offensive.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Keep in mind I am replying in all seriousness and no smack intended. Elon had every right to want to be in the SoCon and are doing well in recent years just as Wofford has done and Samford is likely to do. But was it an inferiority or superiority complex that made Elon want to move up to FCS and the SoCon? or did your school simply want to find a better fit? I've got news for you, there is zero difference in the opinion of many ASU fans that the SoCon is longer the right fit for ASU, don't know why that's so offensive.

Ok, so if it isn't about private schools. Then why is that the overwhelming argument for the reason to move?

And yes, Furman falls into the whole small private school category. They are half the size of Elon and 1/4 the size of Liberty. And honestly, are you telling me Liberty would really have been any different if they'd been admitted? And, for a conference looking for long term stability; who other the JSU and Coastal would be good for the conference long term of the public schools in the region?

AppMan
November 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
We'll miss you, AppMan. I'll be sure to cheer more loudly than usual to help fill the gap. :D

JT & I appreciate it the extra effort. You know he and I would love to be there, but some things are just a little more important than a football game.

yosef1969
November 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Ok, so if it isn't about private schools. Then why is that the overwhelming argument for the reason to move?

And yes, Furman falls into the whole small private school category. They are half the size of Elon and 1/4 the size of Liberty. And honestly, are you telling me Liberty would really have been any different if they'd been admitted? And, for a conference looking for long term stability; who other the JSU and Coastal would be good for the conference long term of the public schools in the region?

Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this thread. It's supposed to be about a game that I am actually very much looking forward to and plan to attend...I go back to remind you how this discussion started. All I said was that the announcement that Elon was entering the SoCon was of some concern to me. The trend moving the SoCon more Private was becoming more obvious. At the time, ASU was in the final years of the pathetic Roachel Laney and Frank Borkowski years. When I said stagnant in my previous post, backwards would have been more accurate. With the announcement of Elon joining the SoCon many ASU fans that were around through all the years of moving up to D-I, the decision to go along with the I-AA designation decision, etc. took a look around and said we're right back where we started. FWIW the announcement of Samford a couple of years ago was of far more concern! I don't have any ill will towards private schools, I considered going to one myself, Lenoir Rhyne but I chose the lesser financial burden or I should say it chose me. I don't want ASU to endure another period of stagnation after Cobb and Peacock move on and I fear that will happen eventually if they stay where they are now.
And yes, Liberty would have been different due to sheer size alone. Elon is actually closer to 1/4 the size of Liberty when post grads are included. With those post grads Liberty's enrollment is about 33% more than ASU and even though they haven't lived up to it yet, there is serious money and commitment to facilities expansion etc.
Other long term candidates would have been Ga State, Valdosta ST, West GA, or basically any member of the OVC. Why is it do you think that Samford wanted to leave the OVC and then join the SoCon so badly? Think it had anything to do with the fact that the OVC in 100% public and the SoCon was more of a private school league? I realize Elon is not Samford but what's the difference?

Phoenix87
November 12th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this thread. It's supposed to be about a game that I am actually very much looking forward to and plan to attend...I go back to remind you how this discussion started. All I said was that the announcement that Elon was entering the SoCon was of some concern to me. The trend moving the SoCon more Private was becoming more obvious. At the time, ASU was in the final years of the pathetic Roachel Laney and Frank Borkowski years. When I said stagnant in my previous post, backwards would have been more accurate. With the announcement of Elon joining the SoCon many ASU fans that were around through all the years of moving up to D-I, the decision to go along with the I-AA designation decision, etc. took a look around and said we're right back where we started. FWIW the announcement of Samford a couple of years ago was of far more concern! I don't have any ill will towards private schools, I considered going to one myself, Lenoir Rhyne but I chose the lesser financial burden or I should say it chose me. I don't want ASU to endure another period of stagnation after Cobb and Peacock move on and I fear that will happen eventually if they stay where they are now.
And yes, Liberty would have been different due to sheer size alone. Elon is actually closer to 1/4 the size of Liberty when post grads are included. With those post grads Liberty's enrollment is about 33% more than ASU and even though they haven't lived up to it yet, there is serious money and commitment to facilities expansion etc.
Other long term candidates would have been Ga State, Valdosta ST, West GA, or basically any member of the OVC. Why is it do you think that Samford wanted to leave the OVC and then join the SoCon so badly? Think it had anything to do with the fact that the OVC in 100% public and the SoCon was more of a private school league? I realize Elon is not Samford but what's the difference?

While I realize that schools recently added in the Socon have been private, I don't think that the conference has had athletics entirely on their mind. A major part of it, I believe, has been the academics of the schools. As far as facilities is concerned, Elon is breaking ground for the new 30,000 sq ft field house before the game Saturday.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens in the FCS over the next few years. The CAA is huuuuge while App State and several other schools could consider a move up to I-A, although Western Kentucky has struggled so far.

I think there is going to be some changes to the conferences in the upcoming years as some teams make a move up and the CAA figures out what they're going to do when Ga State is added.

Back to the game though. Not going to be able to make it to the game because I'll be on the west coast for business. Everyone enjoy though. I think you all are in for a classic. Go Phoenix!

elon77
November 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Did I miss something? I thought this was about the football game in 2 more days, 2 more days. I just hope I can get out of Tidewater to be there, the weather here sucks.xnodx

PhoenixMan
November 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
All these concerns about the SoCon can be solved! App St. can move to the Big Ten, or ACC. Since the Michigan defeat they have been itching for a Rose Bowl berth!
Going to be a great game on Saturday. I hope both teams play well so we can all see who the better team is on the field.

Grabholdofyosef
November 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Our OOC last year was LSU, JMU, Pres and Jacksonville. Last year was an 12 game regular seaon.

americanterrier
November 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
The difference between ASU and the private schools in the SoCon is as simple as the difference between -student athlete and athlete student. Check the social demographics and one would swear that ASU was a SEC team wannabee, without considering Vandy. JMHO A 3.25 gpa in recreation management/football doesn't impress anyone very much. Thus the ASU inferiority/we're misunderstood concept. Sad but true.

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
The difference between ASU and the private schools in the SoCon is as simple as the difference between -student athlete and athlete student. Check the social demographics and one would swear that ASU was a SEC team wannabee, without considering Vandy. JMHO A 3.25 gpa in recreation management/football doesn't impress anyone very much. Thus the ASU inferiority/we're misunderstood concept. Sad but true.

Did you want to bring any factual evidence to support these completely unfounded ideas? xeyebrowx

I'm assuming you're trying to say that classes at ASU are just so much easier and the football players take underwater basket weaving?

bigappfan10
November 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Its already Thursday... I'm starting to get nervous about this game! I hope the team has worked out some post Coco kinks with their timing issues.
At lunch yesterday one of my colleagues made the comment that he wished Elon was the same Elon team we used to play a few years ago...that way we could just roll through the conference into the playoffs with no problems. I said "are you kidding me! This is what its all about. How fun is it to win by 30? I've been looking forward to this game for weeks!"
Win or lose, I'm pumped about this Saturday and watching a great game between two teams vying for the conference championship. This is huge!

theasushow
November 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
yeah...saturday get here already...gosh.

theasushow
November 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
yeah, saturday get here already, geez

Skjellyfetti
November 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM

This is the biggest load of crap. You'd think with your vastly superior $40,000 a year education they would have taught you how to back up your statements with facts.

We have 1 or 2 recreation management majors on the team. We have just as many guys in chemistry, physics, accounting, marketing, etc. And they are starters too... Brian Quick (the guy that makes your secondary look like special ed students) is a chemistry major. But, if you want to judge a whole football team off a couple of guys' majors.... be my guest. Doesn't feed into the perception that students/grads of small, private schools are huge douchebags or anything. xwhistlex

Black Saturday
November 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Ah come on, Hogwarts isn't that much different for you guys is it?

ASUG8
November 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM

That's a pretty bold post for #4 xlolx
I don't even know how to address the "inferiority complex" issue - I don't have it and haven't noticed it among my fellow ASU fans. It doesn't come up with the WoCo, Furman, or Samford conversations, but only now for some reason. I received my master's from a private school, and I don't feel like the level of education received was much different - only a lot more expensive.
Overall, I don't know what any of this has to do with a football game anyway - is it a David/Goliath syndrome or something? We experience that with most of our openers against FBS teams, but I'm trying to follow the relevance here. xconfusedx

AppMan
November 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Ot her long term candidates would have been Ga State, Valdosta ST, West GA, or basically any member of the OVC. Why is it do you think that Samford wanted to leave the OVC and then join the SoCon so badly? Think it had anything to do with the fact that the OVC in 100% public and the SoCon was more of a private school league? I realize Elon is not Samford but what's the difference?

I find it curious every time someone from ASU mentions moving out of FCS football the naysayers come out lambasting them for not being realistic and begin tossing around idiotic comments like "App St. can move to the Big Ten, or ACC. Since the Michigan defeat they have been itching for a Rose Bowl berth!" Meanwhile Elon, or any other school which moves out of D-II into FCS are praised and told how progressive they are. Why is ASU wanting to move up any different? For that matter why is it any different for ASU fans wanting their school to be involved in a conference with similar institutions? The simple fact is Elon, Wofford, Furman, Samford, The Citadel, and Davidson has almost nothing in common with ASU other than they play athletics in the same conference. ASU is a much better fit (enrollment, attendance, athletic budgets, athletic $'s raised, facilities and most of all vision) with GSU, JMU, ODU, Delaware, WKU, and to some degree with ECU, Marshall and some of the other CUSA schools. It is inevitable ASU will eventually leave the SoCon and FCS. What moves begin to take shape after the moratorium is lifted will be a good indicator of when, not if, that happens.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I find it curious every time someone from ASU mentions moving out of FCS football the naysayers come out lambasting them for not being realistic and begin tossing around idiotic comments like "App St. can move to the Big Ten, or ACC. Since the Michigan defeat they have been itching for a Rose Bowl berth!" Meanwhile Elon, or any other school which moves out of D-II into FCS are praised and told how progressive they are. Why is ASU wanting to move up any different? For that matter why is it any different for ASU fans wanting their school to be involved in a conference with similar institutions? The simple fact is Elon, Wofford, Furman, Samford, The Citadel, and Davidson has almost nothing in common with ASU other than they play athletics in the same conference. ASU is a much better fit (enrollment, attendance, athletic budgets, athletic $'s raised, facilities and most of all vision) with GSU, JMU, ODU, Delaware, WKU, and to some degree with ECU, Marshall and some of the other CUSA schools. It is inevitable ASU will eventually leave the SoCon and FCS. What moves begin to take shape after the moratorium is lifted will be a good indicator of when, not if, that happens.

-sigh-

Do you ever even fully read posts? Seriously, try READING what people write.

Again, I will ask, what is the VISION of App that fits with those public schools that doesn't fit with Elon, Furman, The Citadel, Wofford, Samford and others? Why is it that even now, you constantly name off the private schools? What about the vision of UTC and Western? Why are they NEVER included?

The deal is, there are lots of App fans who have a HUGE problem with private schools. You don't see it with any other school's fans like you do at App.

Again, seriously, READ what I was saying. No one is questioning the App move. They are questioning App fans blaming it all on private schools for the move.

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
-sigh-

Do you ever even fully read posts? No one is questioning App leaving. They are questioning the reasons you use as a scapegoat for it.

I mean, seriously, READ the post. READ READ READ.

According to "americanterrier" we don't do that here at ASU.

appirishmen
November 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
AHHHHH CAN I LEAVE BOONE AND SEE SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( is it Saturday yet?)

Aho_Old_Guy
November 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM

According to the NCAA, you ain't all that:

NCAA Division I 2007 - 2008 Academic Progress Rate

Men's Football:

Appalachian: 963
Wofford: 976

Newsflash: Furman has an APR of 977. You lose.

Samford: 958
The Citadel: 966
Elon: 952

Richmond: 979
Villanova: 980
James Madison: 941
New Hampshire: 979

Montana: 939
Weber State: 881
Eastern Washington: 931

South Dakota: 955
Southern Illinois: 951
Northern Iowa: 935

Liberty: 942
Stony Brook: 938
Gardner-Webb: 940

Lafayette: 975
Colgate: 980

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
51 hours.......

AppIAA
November 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Again, seriously, READ what I was saying. No one is questioning the App move. They are questioning App fans blaming it all on private schools for the move.

So because a few are "blaming" it on the private schools, all App fans think that?

Honestly, yes it is better for App to move out of a conference who is clearly moving towards the smaller, private school sector. Nothing against that at all -- if the conference feels that is better, they should do it. Is that the ONLY reason App is considering a move? Absolutely not. It has to do with the recent success and the aspirations to become a "big boy" more than anything else. Is this a right move? That's another argument.

For this conversation to be going on right now is ridiculous. Yes, the SoCon have recently brought in more small, private schools to join the conference and are clearly trying to move in that direction -- who cares?? It does not affect this season or this game.. LETS PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!

ElonPride
November 12th, 2009, 11:30 AM
According to the NCAA, you ain't all that:

NCAA Division I 2007 - 2008 Academic Progress Rate

Men's Football:

Appalachian: 963
Wofford: 976

Newsflash: Furman has an APR of 977. You lose.

Samford: 958
The Citadel: 966
Elon: 952

Richmond: 979
Villanova: 980
James Madison: 941
New Hampshire: 979

Montana: 939
Weber State: 881
Eastern Washington: 931

South Dakota: 955
Southern Illinois: 951
Northern Iowa: 935

Liberty: 942
Stony Brook: 938
Gardner-Webb: 940

Lafayette: 975
Colgate: 980

Also note that Elon is ahead of App in all sports with the exception of four athletics programs (football, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis).

CamelCityAppFan
November 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Also note that Elon is ahead of App in all sports with the exception of four athletics programs (football, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis).

The library at App boasts a books-and-bound-periodicals to ungrad ratio of 65.64 to 1. What is it at Elon?

Apps03
November 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
when the academic arguments come out, its time to lock a thread. Has absolutely nothing to do with this game. If you want to discuss a school's academic prowess or lack there of start a new site called ihavenothingtoaddtoadiscussion.com

AppAlum96
November 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Wow, all this talk of complexes? Looks like this thread has a complex complex. :)

jedmis10
November 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
think App will wear those cat-crap golden looking jersey's?
yuck!!!

We are averaging 53.5 points per game in the gold. Wish we were wearing them this Saturday. Nah, it won't matter what color jersey we wear. Be ready for some brutal Mountaineer hitting. BRING IT PHEONIX.

jedmis10
November 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
51 hours.......

WE SMELL BLOOD!

Bogus Megapardus
November 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Wow. This is fun - even better than a hijacked PL thread. xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

PhoenixMan
November 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
when the academic arguments come out, its time to lock a thread. Has absolutely nothing to do with this game. If you want to discuss a school's academic prowess or lack there of start a new site called ihavenothingtoaddtoadiscussion.com

I, for one, won't give a rat's rear end about academics come Saturday...this is not about GPA, it's about PF/PA

BlackNGold
November 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I, for one, won't give a rat's rear end about academics come Saturday...this is not about GPA, it's about PF/PA

Brains factor into points too
*Mental Mistakes

bigappfan10
November 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Gosh talking about a thread going awry...i thought this was going to be about um Elon vs App in football. You know, the championship game of the southern conference? Saturday? Who knew it'd end up being a pissing contest about academics. Let me jump over to an edu site and see if i can get anyone to talk football over there.

PhoenixMan
November 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Brains factor into points too
*Mental Mistakes

You're right...taking that into account I pick Elon by 4 scores instead of 3.xnodx

Skjellyfetti
November 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well, looks like I might be cleaning up flood damage at my mother's this weekend instead of making the trip to Burlington. xmadx

PhoenixMan
November 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Well, looks like I might be cleaning up flood damage at my mother's this weekend instead of making the trip to Burlington. xmadx

Tell her it will just have to wait.....this game is big!xeyebrowx

Grabholdofyosef
November 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Its already Thursday... I'm starting to get nervous about this game! I hope the team has worked out some post Coco kinks with their timing issues.
At lunch yesterday one of my colleagues made the comment that he wished Elon was the same Elon team we used to play a few years ago...that way we could just roll through the conference into the playoffs with no problems. I said "are you kidding me! This is what its all about. How fun is it to win by 30? I've been looking forward to this game for weeks!"
Win or lose, I'm pumped about this Saturday and watching a great game between two teams vying for the conference championship. This is huge!
Speaking of watching the game, anyone know where ASU fans/alumni around Charlotte are gathering to watch it on tv? We arent going to the game this weekend, so a few of us want to gather with fans to watch it.

biggie
November 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Speaking of watching the game, anyone know where ASU fans/alumni around Charlotte are gathering to watch it on tv? We arent going to the game this weekend, so a few of us want to gather with fans to watch it.
http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/events/viewingparties.html

CHARLOTTE
Charlotte Metro Alumni Chapter
Harvey's
13812 Cinnabar Pl
Huntersville, NC 28078

Angry Ale's at Park and Woodlawn
1518 Montford Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28209
(704) 525-3663

The Fox and Hound in Ballantyne
15235 John J. Delaney Drive
Charlotte, NC 28277
Phone: (704) 544-8902

ASUG8
November 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Same issue in Greenville - I've been trying to reach our alumni chapter president, but to no avail. If anybody's around that wants to get together, PM me.

AppAlum96
November 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Same issue in Greenville - I've been trying to reach our alumni chapter president, but to no avail. If anybody's around that wants to get together, PM me.

Ditto for San Diego. There's a small group here that's gotten together to watch the NC games, but I haven't heard from them on this one. I'll check the alumni site...

ASUG8
November 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ditto for San Diego. There's a small group here that's gotten together to watch the NC games, but I haven't heard from them on this one. I'll check the alumni site...

We'll make the sacrifice and come watch it with you in SD. That way we'll have a noon kickoff. xsmiley_wix

AppStsGr8
November 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear that. I hope she doesn't have too much damage. I've helped with flood cleanups before and certainly don't count them on my "Fun Things to Do" list. Good luck.

AppAlum96
November 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
We'll make the sacrifice and come watch it with you in SD. That way we'll have a noon kickoff. xsmiley_wix

I'm game!

AppMan
November 12th, 2009, 04:01 PM
-sigh-

Do you ever even fully read posts? Seriously, try READING what people write.

Again, I will ask, what is the VISION of App that fits with those public schools that doesn't fit with Elon, Furman, The Citadel, Wofford, Samford and others? Why is it that even now, you constantly name off the private schools? What about the vision of UTC and Western? Why are they NEVER included?

The deal is, there are lots of App fans who have a HUGE problem with private schools. You don't see it with any other school's fans like you do at App.

My comprehension is just fine. You need to stop getting your panties in a wad over every little backhanded comment about private schools and taking it as a personal attack on your manhood. OK, let’s see how this works for you. ASU simply does not share the same vision as The Citadel, Elon, Furman, Samford, Wofford, UTC, or Western Carolina. Feel better now? To begin with, I do not ever figure UNCG, and CofC into this discussion simply because as non football playing schools they should have never been brought into the conference in the first place and IMO Davidson should be shown the door as well. UTC could move to the next level if they get their house in order. They have the facilities, market, ect to be successful. However, Western hasn't shown the ability to make a significant move in that direction and personally I don't think they ever will. I realize this is going to make some people ill, but WCU’s fan base seems to be fine with playing Presbyterian, Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern on a home and home basis. Not putting those schools down, but that isn't in the direction ASU and the state institutions I mentioned in my other post are headed. Your comping Elon in the SoCon with Wake, Duke, and Miami being in the ACC is simply not valid. Those private schools have a fan base on par with the other schools in the league. That can not be said for the privates in the SoCon in relationship to ASU or GSU.

For the record, I have never blamed the private schools for the current make up of the SoCon. My displeasure resides with the last two SoCon Commissioners for taking the league in this direction. The private schools with their inherent small stadiums, small followings, and small attendance figures are simply the vehicles driving my opinions. All considered, ASU, JMU, ODU, and Delaware would be wise to band together and seek admittance into an Eastern alignment of CUSA. UTC & GSU should seek out a divisional arrangement with Sun Belt members Fla Atlantic, Fla Int, Jax State, MTSU, Troy, WKU, and possibly Ga State. Western needs to go to the OVC and the SoCon would be wise to add W&M, and Richmond. It won't happen because it makes too much common sense. However, most everyone would be aligned with like minded schools and have minimal travel situations.

AppMan
November 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM

I agree. This is about athletics, not the quiz bowl or the debate team.

T-Dog
November 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I'm pretty sure we're ahead of you in wrestling, women's field hockey and if they're approved to become a varsity sport, men's and women's cycling.

Plus, public schools have a tendency to grade harder. Private schools have bigger interest in their grades looking good and have no big daddy in Chapel Hill looking after them making sure they grade fairly.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Lembo radio interview on WFNZ Mark Packer - Southern Fried Football show.

http://org.elon.edu/athletics/PeteLembo111109.mp3

bigappfan10
November 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Okay, so let's just scrap the football commentary and refocus on this *********. Forget topics like how App can stop the dynamic offense of Elon or if Hillary's injury will have an impact on the game. Nah, that's for a different site. Let's instead focus on whether App or Elon should develop new research programs which focus on fission of heavy elements creating an exothermic reaction which can release large amounts of energy both as electromagnetic radiation and as kinetic energy. That's so much more interesting in an anygivensaturday.com site anyway.

whoanellie
November 12th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Lembo radio interview on WFNZ Mark Packer - Southern Fried Football show.

http://org.elon.edu/athletics/PeteLembo111109.mp3

really shows the first class guy Pete is.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2009, 06:22 PM
My comprehension is just fine. You need to stop getting your panties in a wad over every little backhanded comment about private schools and taking it as a personal attack on your manhood. OK, let’s see how this works for you. ASU simply does not share the same vision as The Citadel, Elon, Furman, Samford, Wofford, UTC, or Western Carolina. Feel better now? To begin with, I do not ever figure UNCG, and CofC into this discussion simply because as non football playing schools they should have never been brought into the conference in the first place and IMO Davidson should be shown the door as well. UTC could move to the next level if they get their house in order. They have the facilities, market, ect to be successful. However, Western hasn't shown the ability to make a significant move in that direction and personally I don't think they ever will. I realize this is going to make some people ill, but WCU’s fan base seems to be fine with playing Presbyterian, Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern on a home and home basis. Not putting those schools down, but that isn't in the direction ASU and the state institutions I mentioned in my other post are headed. Your comping Elon in the SoCon with Wake, Duke, and Miami being in the ACC is simply not valid. Those private schools have a fan base on par with the other schools in the league. That can not be said for the privates in the SoCon in relationship to ASU or GSU.

For the record, I have never blamed the private schools for the current make up of the SoCon. My displeasure resides with the last two SoCon Commissioners for taking the league in this direction. The private schools with their inherent small stadiums, small followings, and small attendance figures are simply the vehicles driving my opinions. All considered, ASU, JMU, ODU, and Delaware would be wise to band together and seek admittance into an Eastern alignment of CUSA. UTC & GSU should seek out a divisional arrangement with Sun Belt members Fla Atlantic, Fla Int, Jax State, MTSU, Troy, WKU, and possibly Ga State. Western needs to go to the OVC and the SoCon would be wise to add W&M, and Richmond. It won't happen because it makes too much common sense. However, most everyone would be aligned with like minded schools and have minimal travel situations.

Panties in a wad? No. it's called debate, and though we won't like to admit it, you and I seem to enjoy it.

So first thing is, you're saying FCS should be made up of basically what? A bunch of private schools would could be in FBS if not for the attendance requirement? Seriously, it sounds like you want every school out that could possibly make the move as the rules stands, leaving has-been type public schools and every private school that could field a descent team. Seriously, is that even logical. if that's the case, dump the division entirely.

Second, I'll agree with you on UNCG and CofC, Davidson should be given the option or leave.

Third, I am equating Duke, Wake and Miami to Elon, Samford, Furman and Wofford for one very specific reason. When you look at football, which is really the complaint here more than anything and more that athletics spending or facilities, you're only real complaint is with image and the image of who you play (yes, big time run-on sentence for the person criticizing grammar). So, yes, when you take Wake, Duke and even Miami and compare them to Florida State, Clemson, NC State, Maryland, UVa it's making the same comparison as in the SoCon. The fan bases of those are fractional in football to the other schools. And that's really what your complaint is. Wallace Wade and BB&T Field are fractional compared to Death Valley and Tallahassee. The comparison is majorly valid.

So, Western goes OVC and you've left the SoCon with 5 members sicne UTC can make the move. So, it really sounds more like punishing those SoCon schools than pushing forth any sort of logic, especially since mixed leagues (aka the ACC) work. or it sounds like you want the league punished for things you didn't like in the 90s.

I never blamed the Big South for the reason for moving Elon to the SoCon.
I never blamed the SAC-8 for Elon moving to D-I.

It was just a logical move and had nothing to do with the schools where they were.

So in a perfect world. Who would you want rather than Samford? Who instead of Wofford? I am am saying be logical. Take into account that those public schools in the SE are facing huge budgets cuts and funding cuts. So, in reality, private schools are the only ones that are maintaining or pushing forward.

AtlantaMountaineer
November 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
David Jackson said on Mountaineer talk tonight that App would be bringing 7-8,000 fans to Elon Saturday.

gophoenix
November 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
David Jackson said on Mountaineer talk tonight that App would be bringing 7-8,000 fans to Elon Saturday.

Why not just claim the whole crowd now?

theasushow
November 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
just the majority.

AppAlum2003
November 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Look - take it as a compliment.

JohnStOnge
November 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I hadn't been following Elon closely but I see the defensive stats are absolutely spectacular. It'll be interesting to see how that defense does against Appalachian State.

I wish McNeese had defensive stats like that.

T-Dog
November 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Because it's a road game silly. :p

Anywa, I found this stat interesting. App is 9-2 in games where they can clinch the SoCon championship. One of those two losses was made up for two weeks later so App has clinched a SoCon title 9 out of the 10 years they've had a chance to.