PDA

View Full Version : Miss. Valley St Operating on 39 Schollies

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Valley is really roughing it. I did not realize that they have 24 scholarships fewer than the rest. With the scholarship limitations, they can not even play FBS games.

On the bright side, the SWAC's other nine schools have 63. Did not think that was the case.

Due to a lack of funding, Valley is limited to 39 scholarships whereas the other nine SWAC schools get a full allotment of 63 as allowed by the NCAA for all Division I-AA schools. Also, the program's recruiting budget of $7,800 is by far the lowest in the league, according to figures complied by Prairie View head coach Henry Frazier.

http://gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2009/11/06/sports/local_sports/11062009sports1.txt

kdinva
November 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Wow, who would have thunk it. I presume (because of their name) they are a "state" school, versus private ala Richmond, Wofford, Furman, etc., who have 63.

Paging Jerry Rice (or his checkbook;)).

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Holy Cross has 0 scholarships and is ranked as high as #13 in some polls.

Dane96
November 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Right...and you believe that ****?

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Valley is actually mixed in rumors right now about merging with Div II Delta State.

Delta State has typically had a pretty good Div II program. Believe their men's hoops are No. 21 nationally. I want them in the SLC if anyone does move up.

dgreco
November 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Valley is really roughing it. I did not realize that they have 24 scholarships fewer than the rest. With the scholarship limitations, they can not even play FBS games.

On the bright side, the SWAC's other nine schools have 63. Did not think that was the case.

http://gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2009/11/06/sports/local_sports/11062009sports1.txt

off topic, but I am sure a lot of schools do this.

Bryant only offers 7 scholarships.

kdinva
November 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Holy Cross has 0 scholarships and is ranked as high as #13 in some polls.
How many of your players receive 100% $$$$ support via Pell Grants, etc.? more than 85, I'd bet.

crusader11
November 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
How many of your players receive 100% $$$$ support via Pell Grants, etc.? more than 85, I'd bet.

85??? Definitely not that high. No one is receiving 100% aid, although most receive some sort of aid.

Franks Tanks
November 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Rumor is that most PL schools operate on about 50-55 scholarship equilivancies.

My aid at Lafayette was about 95% of total cost, we had plenty others in the same boat and some paying absolutely nothing. My parents are middle class as well

Also some players may recieve pell grants, but I believe that is a small part of the equation. Most if not all of the funds are direct institutional aid.

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Rumor is that most PL schools operate on about 50-55 scholarship equilivancies.

It's OK if you say "Rumor is that five PL schools operate on about 50-55 scholarship equivalencies, one at 40, and one the PL doesn't talk about." xmadx

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
off topic, but I am sure a lot of schools do this.

Bryant only offers 7 scholarships.

Difference...

Valley plays in a league where EVERYONE else offers the full amount of equivalencies. They are really playing as a Div II in a Div I conference - based on budget and scholarships.