PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Coaching Salaries Compared to I-A

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Here's a list of some I-A coaching salaries from a particular conference (C-USA). You know, especially the ECU and Marshall salaries, are not much more than some of the middle of the pack and definitely not more than the upper-echelon of coaching salaries of I-AA schools. Keep in mind these are base salaries and you know how the rest funnels through in I-A compared to some of the incentives of I-AA.

Anyone have some for sure coaching salary numbers to compare. I believe TxSt's coach made $115k to $125k this past year. Seems if your comfortable at a I-AA, there's no reason to go I-A as a coach. Anyone know how much Turner Gil is getting at Buffalo? He was in the hunt for some I-AA jobs...

Skip Holtz, ECU: $150K
Jeff Bower, USM: $275K
Watson Brown, UAB: $304K
Mark Snyder, Marshall: $144K
Tommy West, Memphis: $800K
Mike Price, UTEP: $225K
George O'Leary, UCF: $200K

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Here's a list of some I-A coaching salaries from a particular conference (C-USA). You know, especially the ECU and Marshall salaries, are not much more than some of the middle of the pack and definitely not more than the upper-echelon of coaching salaries of I-AA schools. Keep in mind these are base salaries and you know how the rest funnels through in I-A compared to some of the incentives of I-AA.

Anyone have some for sure coaching salary numbers to compare. I believe TxSt's coach made $115k to $125k this past year. Seems if your comfortable at a I-AA, there's no reason to go I-A as a coach. Anyone know how much Turner Gil is getting at Buffalo? He was in the hunt for some I-AA jobs...

Skip Holtz, ECU: $150K
Jeff Bower, USM: $275K
Watson Brown, UAB: $304K
Mark Snyder, Marshall: $144K
Tommy West, Memphis: $800K
Mike Price, UTEP: $225K
George O'Leary, UCF: $200K

Most of those sound low. I wonder if they are the "package" which usually includes outside endorsements, TV and radio shows, etc. Things that the school may negotiate but not pay for. West on the other hand sounds high.

AppFootballAlum
December 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Don't know about the others, but the Holtz package was reported as the following:

Holtz and the university agreed to a five-year contract with a compensation package of $390,000 for the first year and a guaranteed increase of $25,000 each subsequent year. He will also be eligible for another $25,000 if his team qualifies for a non-BCS bowl or $50,000 for a designated conference championship bowl game or BCS bowl game.

As we all know or have heard, base salaries for most head coach at the DI level are only a fraction of their total compensation, thus the motivation for some to move to D1.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Most of those sound low. I wonder if they are the "package" which usually includes outside endorsements, TV and radio shows, etc. Things that the school may negotiate but not pay for. West on the other hand sounds high.

Those are the base salaries, not the ones that include the TV, endorsements, radio shows and such...

I plucked this from a C-USA message board by the way when they were discussing the Rice base salary being $325k...

TulsaBobcat
December 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Here at Tulsa (CUSA), it has been reported that Steve Kragthorpe makes around $400,000/yr. and is likely to make more next year. Those numbers do sound low.

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Those are the base salaries, not the ones that include the TV, endorsements, radio shows and such...

I plucked this from a C-USA message board by the way when they were discussing the Rice base salary being $325k...

Got it. But that also answers the question as to why a coach might go I-A. I have posted before that third hand info says Bobby Johnson's comp package increased 5 times from Furman to Vandy. Now Vandy is SEC but I would guess it is at the bottom of the stack in SEC coach's compensation.

putter
December 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I believe Joe Glenn, who left Montana for Wyoming, makes $400,000/yr with incenties that could bring the total to $500,000+.

SU Jag
December 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Man the people down in Birmingham have calling for Watson Brown's head, and rightfully so! UAB has failed to put a winning team of the field and they have failed to get their attendance up! Rumor has it, that there will be more than a few UAB players transfering to other schools in the comming weeks! This has been a very hot topic on Talk Radio down here!

Hansel
December 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
In total compensation, Bohl (NDSU), Kramer (Mont ST), Hauck (Mont) all make around 135k.

Kill (SIU) makes 165k

Eaglegus2
December 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Georgia Southern was paying x-HC Sewak a base salary of $109,000 with a compensation package that totaled close to $250,000.

The new HC Bryan Van Gorder will get a base salary of $200,000 which is the same base salary of UGA's Mark Reicht (sp). Van Gorder will have a total package in the neighborhood of $430-450,000.

UGA's HC makes around $1.2 million in the total package. I think! :confused:

straightshooter
December 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Looks like Van Gorder's base at GSU is $200K. Incentives are another $200K. Radio and TV show will be more on top of the $400K possibility for Van Gorder. Sewak's base was $109K and my guess is that his total package was in the $150K range.

putter
December 19th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Georgia Southern was paying x-HC Sewak a base salary of $109,000 with a compensation package that totaled close to $250,000.

The new HC Bryan Van Gorder will get a base salary of $200,000 which is the same base salary of UGA's Mark Reicht (sp). Van Gorder will have a total package in the neighborhood of $430-450,000.

UGA's HC makes around $1.2 million in the total package. I think! :confused:

$400k! Where do you get that kind of money?? :eek:

Eaglegus2
December 19th, 2005, 11:26 AM
$400k! Where do you get that kind of money?? :eek:

We had 4 RICH alumni to put up $250K each for 2 years to insure we get top notch coaches and assistants. Now, we are waiting on the assistants to be named. :hurray:

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM
We had 4 RICH alumni to put up $250K each for 2 years to insure we get top notch coaches and assistants. Now, we are waiting on the assistants to be named. :hurray:

Very nice! Who are these alums? Business-folk? Celebs? Local corporate heavyweights?

OL FU
December 19th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Very nice! Who are these alums? Business-folk? Celebs? Local corporate heavyweights?

ex-Gold Club employees? :D

Eaglegus2
December 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
ex-Gold Club employees? :D

One of them may have been a visitor. :smiley_wi xlolx xlolx

Tealblood
December 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I think most of these numbers are guesses. I have a friend at UGa who said Richt made around 2 mil with everything

HI54UNI
December 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Salaries for College Football Coaches in Iowa - Fiscal Year 2005:

Mark Farley - Northern Iowa - $130,688
Dan McCarney - Iowa State - $978,225
Kirk Ferentz - Iowa - $2,085,950

These figures are from the State of Iowa salary book.

December 19th, 2005, 07:45 PM
... As we all know or have heard, base salaries for most head coach at the DI level are only a fraction of their total compensation, thus the motivation for some to move to D1.We are only talking about D-I coaches here (I-AA is D-I you know?). :)

ravens
December 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Salaries for College Football Coaches in Iowa - Fiscal Year 2005:

Mark Farley - Northern Iowa - $130,688
Dan McCarney - Iowa State - $978,225
Kirk Ferentz - Iowa - $2,085,950

These figures are from the State of Iowa salary book.

wow...top to bottom that is quite a spread.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 10:55 PM
wow...top to bottom that is quite a spread.

That will get Cap'n Cat interested....

RadMann
December 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM
You have to get the alumni to give to the athletics department at your school to keep your coaches well paid. UD keeps the university endowment strong by getting us alumni to give each year. Anyone interested, click below ;)

UD (http://www.ums.udel.edu/excellence/UD_excellence.html)

gophoenix
December 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Lembo new salary at Elon is $200k

Tubby Raymond
December 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM
The UNI guy needs a serious raise :nonono2: