PDA

View Full Version : How big do you think your "hardcore" base is??

TheBisonator
November 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Not season ticket holders, but the number of people who will attend every single game at your school no matter what the circumstances of the team, time of day, time of year, etc. or any playoff game, for example. Any number of hardcore students should be included in the number as well. Just the total number of your hardcore base which will attend any and all regular season and post season games. Just give a rough estimate, I'm not asking you to do anything stupid like do a survey or anything.:D

At NDSU, our hardcore base is most likely around 15,000 total with probably 1,500 or so hardcore students included in that. That's also roughly the number of students at every game who stay until the final whistle.

What about your team??

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
a couple hundred

RichH2
November 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Do you mean under 50yrs of agexrolleyesx If so maybe a 1000, if include us about 4000-5000

Saint3333
November 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
At NDSU, our hardcore base is most likely around 15,000 total with probably 1,500 or so hardcore students included in that. That's also roughly the number of students at every game who stay until the final whistle.

What about your team??

Seems strange that a team that average 17K per game has 15K "hardcore" fans?

kirkblitz
November 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
maybe 1k

Sader87
November 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
About 99...if HC brings back scholarships, about 9,900.

appirishmen
November 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
App is averaging about 25,321 people per game. i would say about 20 to 24K are hardcore fans there every game rain or shine.

soccerguy315
November 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
obviously people have different definitions here...

the definition I thought when I read thread was: how many people attend your game when you have the following records:

07: 2-9
08: 1-10
09: 1-7

how many people attend the 9th game of the 09 season in the scenario above?

there is no way that 15000 of 17000 at NDSU fit this description, and likewise for 20/24k of 25,000 at App State

Saint3333
November 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM
App is averaging about 25,321 people per game. i would say about 20 to 24K are hardcore fans there every game rain or shine.

That is way too high. Hard core fans stay through the 4th quarter when you are playing your rival no matter the score. Mid-way through the 4th vs. GSU, less than 12K fans were still there. Thanksgiving weekend playoff attendance is less than 15K. I'd say ASU has about 10K "hard core" fans - max 15K.

Eight Legger
November 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
That is way too high. Hard core fans stay through the 4th quarter when you are playing your rival no matter the score. Mid-way through the 4th vs. GSU, less than 12K fans were still there. Thanksgiving weekend playoff attendance is less than 15K. I'd say ASU has about 10K "hard core" fans - max 15K.

The App hardcore fans were the ones who stayed until the end of the UR game there in December. It looked like about half of the crowd was already gone when we got up by 13.

For UR, I would say we have about 1500-2000 that would fit this "hardcore" description, but it is a growing number.

ToTheLeft
November 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
We average like 14,something, but the hardest of the hardcore only amount to about 1,000-1,500 (That's how many were left at the end of a 40 point blowout in the rain over Presbyterian, which is the best indication of hardcore, if you ask me)...

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
500, perhaps? Of those 500, maybe 5 are students? The student support is horrendous. Can we count the band?

I haven't missed a UNH home game in five years, and I've made it to numerous road games including Marshall, Hofstra, UMass (3 times, ugh), Northeastern, Maine (3 times), URI (once), Army.

I'm also an avid UNH basketball supporter of which there are far less (I think 15-20 people showed up for the tournament in Albany a last year). The Hockey Team? Not so much.

UNCBears2010
November 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
For UNC? About 6 people.

MaximumBobcat
November 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
obviously people have different definitions here...

the definition I thought when I read thread was: how many people attend your game when you have the following records:

07: 2-9
08: 1-10
09: 1-7

how many people attend the 9th game of the 09 season in the scenario above?

there is no way that 15000 of 17000 at NDSU fit this description, and likewise for 20/24k of 25,000 at App State

Yeah that's what I took this question as too. I agree that the NDSU and App St numbers you quoted are way off.

For TxSt...probably around 4-5K. Hell, really all you have to do is look at our attendances from the late 90s to find out.

FargoBison
November 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM

But they are very hardcore, you gotta be to watch a 1-6 team take the field(the attendance of our last game was just over 15,500).

appmaj
November 5th, 2009, 05:59 AM

I agree with that estimate, These would be the fans that were at every game before 05-07

th0m
November 5th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I'd peg JMU somewhere in the 8k range. Other JMU fans chime on to agree/disagree.

mcveyrl
November 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
We average like 14,something, but the hardest of the hardcore only amount to about 1,000-1,500 (That's how many were left at the end of a 40 point blowout in the rain over Presbyterian, which is the best indication of hardcore, if you ask me)...

I think "hardcore" is defined differently at different stages of life. I will always buy season tickets and so long as family and work commitments do not get in the way I will be at every home game and every makeable away game. So, I consider myself "hardcore." But, losing 27-0 in a cold rain with two kids meant that we left after the 3rd quarter. I don't think that's an indication of my lack of hardcore-ness, just the reality of the situation. So, I wouldn't sell your program short. By my definition there are probably more "hardcore" Liberty fans than that.

I'd peg JMU somewhere in the 8k range. Other JMU fans chime on to agree/disagree.

Given the above definition you are probably close to right. The Maine game sold out shortly after the Villanova debacle. I think in an off year, we would still average 11K-13K. Maybe 70% of those would be hardcore and the other 30% just wanting to see a game or catch up with friends.

onbison09
November 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM

I would probably say a little bit less than that.;)

JMUNJ08
November 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I think "hardcore" is defined differently at different stages of life. I will always buy season tickets and so long as family and work commitments do not get in the way I will be at every home game and every makeable away game. So, I consider myself "hardcore." But, losing 27-0 in a cold rain with two kids meant that we left after the 3rd quarter. I don't think that's an indication of my lack of hardcore-ness, just the reality of the situation. So, I wouldn't sell your program short. By my definition there are probably more "hardcore" Liberty fans than that.

Given the above definition you are probably close to right. The Maine game sold out shortly after the Villanova debacle. I think in an off year, we would still average 11K-13K. Maybe 70% of those would be hardcore and the other 30% just wanting to see a game or catch up with friends.

I agree. Once we won the 04 NC, the fan base grew and gained a lot of people who follow JMU intently now. That season (following 5-7/6-6 seasons) I would say we were half full at the start of the game with maybe 4-5K hardcore. The 7-8K now is a pretty accurate description but we'll see if the sold out crowd shows up to watch a 3-5 team....

mcveyrl
November 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I agree. Once we won the 04 NC, the fan base grew and gained a lot of people who follow JMU intently now. That season (following 5-7/6-6 seasons) I would say we were half full at the start of the game with maybe 4-5K hardcore. The 7-8K now is a pretty accurate description but we'll see if the sold out crowd shows up to watch a 3-5 team....

I don't think the whole sold out crowd shows up. But I still think we get 13-14K. I know several people that are coming up for their first game (in that 30%).

Fordham
November 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.nakedwithsockson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2-men-apart-on-couch.jpg

proasu89
November 5th, 2009, 08:28 AM

TTUEagles
November 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
1. Me.

PhoenixMan
November 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Not very many I hate to say, but more than 3-4 years ago. Success breeds the hardcore fan base. Elon is still fairly new to FCS so we don't have that history. I think we are making it now. We do have to back to back National Chamionships in '80 and '81 in NAIA. Only old folks like me relate to that. I was 11 years old and attended the NC game in '81, so my hardcoreness started a long time ago :-)

AppChicago
November 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Do you think playing in a dome makes that number larger than it might be for schools that play in the elements?

When I was sitting in Kidd Brewer for the ASU-Samford game, getting soaked to my core, I wasn't surprised to see the stands looking a little sparser than usual.

Same goes for sitting in the upper section east side stands in KBS after a 30+ degree temp drop since that morning, watching a blowout. I wonder if as many people would have taken off if the weather just wasn't as much of a factor.

Silenoz
November 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I dunno, but I do question anyone who misses a playoff game to go hunting

Just saying..

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Harvard can't win this race to the bottom!

Based on how well or not the Crimson "travels," exclusive of team parents, I'd say maybe 50...

>0, <100

WileECoyote06
November 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
We travel pretty well on the East Coast, but our home games aren't as well attended. I'd say probably about 1500.

DSUrocks07
November 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
1. Me.

Ditto xnodx

But to actually peg a number to it I would say that about 8 to 10% of the average attendance is ur "hardcore" base. So some where in the neighborhood of 300-500 for DSU and that makes sense considering that our game with Winston-Salem last season had only 891 spectators. And apparently we had about 20 or so total including myself who attended the Michigan game.

Another way of finding out is finding out who the regular tailgaters are for home games.

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Do you think playing in a dome makes that number larger than it might be for schools that play in the elements?

When I was sitting in Kidd Brewer for the ASU-Samford game, getting soaked to my core, I wasn't surprised to see the stands looking a little sparser than usual.

Same goes for sitting in the upper section east side stands in KBS after a 30+ degree temp drop since that morning, watching a blowout. I wonder if as many people would have taken off if the weather just wasn't as much of a factor.

HA! During the Samford game, I remember my K2 ski jacket soaking through because there was so much rain. Man, was I glad to see 0:00 in that game.

ncbears
November 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I would say a couple thousand.

sharkeycox
November 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'd say about 12k. rain or shine, or LSU schedule.

89Hen
November 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Right now? 2,000. xnonono2x

bulldog10jw
November 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
WHAT hardcore base?

AppChicago
November 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
HA! During the Samford game, I remember my K2 ski jacket soaking through because there was so much rain. Man, was I glad to see 0:00 in that game.

God yes. We brought extra clothes in a drybag and changed in the Mellow Mushroom bathroom afterwards.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Haha, what a funny question. Lafayette... less than 100. About 30 of them post on the board. The rest are very old. We are in trouble in ten years, when the elders can no longer attend.

Hardcore to me is sitting at a game vs Columbia of all teams in a hurricane, barely being able to see the field due to rain/mist/fog. There were about 50 of us in the stands. Carney doesn't count because he is afraid to travel with a threat of showers!

813Jag
November 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Ditto xnodx

But to actually peg a number to it I would say that about 8 to 10% of the average attendance is ur "hardcore" base. So some where in the neighborhood of 300-500 for DSU and that makes sense considering that our game with Winston-Salem last season had only 891 spectators. And apparently we had about 20 or so total including myself who attended the Michigan game.

Another way of finding out is finding out who the regular tailgaters are for home games.
you can't always use that, because I know lots of people that go to games home and away just to tailgate. They don't even go in the stadium. I'd say the number for Southern is 6-8K that's roughly the number of people that were at the Thursday night game.

GannonFan
November 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Huh? UD will probably never see a crowd less than 18k for a regular season game, so that's a number right there. Figure for playoff games (first round) UD gets 13k-14k so maybe that's the lowest the number goes. 2k? Heck, there are more season ticket holders (not season tickets total) than that.

HiHiYikas
November 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
A better question might be "how do you define 'hardcore?'" It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

As such, I'll use the 2002 home playoff loss to Maine as a guide. 4,300 in attendance, probably 2,000 left at the end of regulation.

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
A better question might be "how do you define 'hardcore?'"

Google.

HiHiYikas
November 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Google.
(make sure safe to set your safe search to "off.")

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Touche.

WileECoyote06
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Are yall considering your traveling crowd?

ODU better be glad their HC is sold out. We've got a buttload of alums in the Hampton Roads area. We would have brought 5K to Norfolk easily.

appirishmen
November 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM

my bad. haha. i might of had a little too much Knob Creek when typing this. xnodxxrotatehx haha. but i do agree and i am proud to be one of those 10K hardcore fans. my dad and I always stay until the end!

813Jag
November 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM

ODU better be glad their HC is sold out. We've got a buttload of alums in the Hampton Roads area. We would have brought 5K to Norfolk easily.
to me that's an important factor.

HiHiYikas
November 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
That can be a good indicator.

In some cases, though, a school might have a large number of alumni in an area that's closer to a rival school.

JMU has a ton of alumni living in and around Richmond. You'll see a ton of purple at UR stadium when the Dukes come to town.

App State has a ton of alumni who probably live closer to Elon, Wofford, and Furman than to Boone.

Poker Alan
November 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Obv the Griz are very high in this category, just look at our fans in the stands at road game, NC's, etc...

AshevilleApp
November 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Hardcore tailgaters on the otherhand.......

AppStsGr8
November 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Me too! I was so glad that I'd brought towels, extra clothes, extra shoes, etc. I actually had to put my cell phone on the defroster to dry it out.

I do love App football ... rain or snow - win or lose (thankfully, not too much of the latter in the last few years). I'm one of those 0:00 fans.

Total hardcore App fans - 12,501 xpeacex

HiHiYikas
November 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Arbitrary hardcore criterion #173 - If your favorite team regularly invites fans to wear one color, and your home stadium is prone to bad weather, you should own rain gear and/or cold gear in said color.

Nothing sloppier than wearing a yellow raincoat during a whiteout, or sporting your bright red ski jacket on Black Saturday.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Me too! I was so glad that I'd brought towels, extra clothes, extra shoes, etc. I actually had to put my cell phone on the defroster to dry it out.

I do love App football ... rain or snow - win or lose (thankfully, not too much of the latter in the last few years). I'm one of those 0:00 fans.

I'd put it at around half that, really (and that would be twice what it was 20-25 years ago).

The Mountaineer Bandwagon has doubled in size the last 4-5 years. It seems a little harsh, I know .... but it generally reflects the home playoff crowds for the 'Thanksgiving' game

(And this is from one of those few brave souls who sat it out during the Nichols State playoff game 25 years ago --- I think they counted everyone twice to get the total attendance figure - LOL)

AggieRX
November 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Not as big as it should be for UCD and its 30000 plus students.

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Not as big as it should be for UCD and its 30000 plus students.

Sooo.... UCDavis is averaging 50,000 per home game? xeyebrowx

biggie
November 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Furman may have been worse than the Samford game. Though I had a poncho on for Samford and just a T shirt for Furman.

AppAlum2003
November 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Furman may have been worse than the Samford game. Though I had a poncho on for Samford and just a T shirt for Furman.

Didn't your mother teach you to always wear protection? xrotatehx

GaSouthern
November 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
10,000 for GSU depending on the definition of hardcore

(I just lobbed up a vollyball for jokes with that one)

Uncle Buck
November 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I am an army of one.

FargoBison
November 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM

There is no question the dome helps, I have heard our Admin say a few times about how thankful they are for the Dome.

There is hardcore and I don't even know what you would call the people that attended this game....

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison3#p/u/9/mAi_4mow3SE

BlackNGold
November 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I am an army of one.

lol

JMUNJ08
November 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
There is no question the dome helps, I have heard our Admin say a few times about how thankful they are for the Dome.

There is hardcore and I don't even know what you would call the people that attended this game....

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison3#p/u/9/mAi_4mow3SE

Insane. JMU beat Nova in the playoffs and the high was only 25. This was WAY worse.

appmountaineer
November 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Wow great question! truly hardcore is a tough estimate. I'd say the regulars who i go to away games with are def. in the mix. I'll agree with the first ASU post and say 10k.

biggie
November 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Didn't your mother teach you to always wear protection? xrotatehx
Apparently I forgot everything I was taught and listened to the weatherpeople say it was going to be 65 and partly couldy, not poor down the whole game.

MSUBear42
November 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Absolutely hardcore? Maybe 5-600... Pretty hardcore? 5-6,000

dystopiamembrane
November 5th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Portland State -- 1200

knucklehead
November 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Agree. Like 1500

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Huh? UD will probably never see a crowd less than 18k for a regular season game, so that's a number right there. Figure for playoff games (first round) UD gets 13k-14k so maybe that's the lowest the number goes. 2k? Heck, there are more season ticket holders (not season tickets total) than that.

yea, but are they there for the love of the Hens or the scrapplexlolx

State Line Liquors
November 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Delaware has probably 20-25 'hardcore fans'. These fans will show up at games with metal chairs, barb wire, aluminum bats, fake blood, leather chaps, ball gags, video cameras, KISS music, tarps and tons of lubricant. There's really very few of them, but trust me when I tell you, UD has some VERY hardcore fans.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM

It's got to be more than that.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I don't think whether you travel is a factor. I went to see Villanova play against TOWSON last year with the shingles. I haven't missed a home game since '06.. I went to every home game in the 97 season (when I was 9,) I've been to Rutgers twice, Maryland, every game in a stadium in philadelphia and every playoff game in Villanova except for '02 when i was away at boarding school.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Well, out of 16k less than 2k remained for the end of the Nova game. So I'd say less than 2k hardcore fans for JMU. Don't know where you get this 7-8k from.

Hardcore would be when you're down 27-0, its in the mid 40s, light rain, and you stay to the bitter end.

Most people here are WAY overestimating their "hardcore" fans.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Well, out of 16k less than 2k remained for the end of the Nova game. So I'd say less than 2k hardcore fans for JMU. Don't know where you get this 7-8k from.

Hardcore would be when you're down 27-0, its in the mid 40s, light rain, and you stay to the bitter end.

Well then, I'm not hardcore.

But, I know 2,000 people that I'm smarter than and (to the extent any of those people have kids) a better parent than. So, I got that goin' for me.

g-webb1994
November 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Maybe 1,000?

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Kinda hard for some of us to stay when we can't get tickets and the non-hardcore people get them (my biggest pet peeve with Homecoming and Family Weekend).

I can't make all the games from where I live but that doesn't make me not a hardcore fan does it? I would say if your significant other is upset that you are constantly checking scores and stats for 3 straight hours on a Saturday makes you at least semi-hardcore. Alumni spread out but their 'hardcoreness' never fadesxpeacex

Walkon79
November 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Kinda hard for some of us to stay when we can't get tickets and the non-hardcore people get them (my biggest pet peeve with Homecoming and Family Weekend).

I can't make all the games from where I live but that doesn't make me not a hardcore fan does it? I would say if your significant other is upset that you are constantly checking scores and stats for 3 straight hours on a Saturday makes you at least semi-hardcore. Alumni spread out but their 'hardcoreness' never fadesxpeacex

My thoughts as well. I've lived in Montana my whole life, but I'm 400 miles from Bozeman with teenagers in high school sports. I only make one or two games max in any given year, but I never miss them on TV when I'm not there in person, and I've been a contributing member to the Bobcat Club for over 20 years. My butt isn't in a seat every other Saturday, but most who know me think I'm about as hard core Blue and Gold as they come.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM

^^^^^^^^^xthumbsupx

I had a nice trip to the Hunt Club Farm in Va. Beach ruined by our debacle at Hofstra since I was watching GameCast on my phone.

Walkon79
November 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
So I guess I think our hardcore base is about 5,000 actually at the stadium every game day, but another 3 to 4,000 that would trade their first born for the opportunity.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I should also say that if "hardcore" means I put the team before my family and my health, then I will proudly claim not to be "hardcore."

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I should also say that if "hardcore" means I put the team before my family and my health, then I will proudly claim not to be "hardcore."

Lame. Get your priorities straight!

:p

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Some of you guys are really overestimating.