PDA

View Full Version : CAA Predictions for 11/7

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Maine @ JMU
UPSET ALERT! Both teams pulled off victories last week against fellow CAA teams that now to win out to be playoff eligible. Maine had the luxury of being at home while JMU had to go to a place they haven't won at in over a decade. This game should be competitive but the revival of JMU's offense and that NASTY defense gives them the edge in the 'burg.
JMU 20 - Maine 13

Nova @ UR
Game of the week. It's had its own thread since Saturday. Alot has been said already but this one has huge implications. UR wants to move up in the polls (AP) and Nova wants their own vote with Temple getting some. UR has the more steady offensive leader in Ward and both defenses are outstanding. I see Ward as the sole difference that can make or break this game. Ward puts up decent numbers and keeps the O out of bad situations then they will survive.
UR 23.5 - Nova 23

NE @UMass
Whats the best cure for a bounce back game? Northeastern @ Home!!!! NE has been looking better but UMass beat UNH a few weeks back. Homefield advantage makes this one a blowout.
UMass 34 - NE 10

Towson @ W&M
W&M is looking to run a gauntlet the last two weeks with UNH and UR. Their trip up game? Towson. Just not going to happen in Williamsburg.
W&M 40 - Towson 13

URI @ UNH
URI is still playing out their season. Or at least putting guys on the field that get run over. UNH will do just that.
UNH 37 - URI 17

Hofstra @ UD
Besides UR/Nova, this is probably the second most intriguing game of the week in the CAA. UD MUST win out to be eligible and Hofstra is their easy game so to speak. Hofstra has played well at home but the road is a different story. I see Delvin coming out to redeem last weeks performance and UD will actually have 5 guys blocking on that OL. It won't be easy but they will get it done and stay alive one more week.
UD 31 - Hofstra 20

Not real original with all the homies winning. Nova and Maine have the best shots. Discuss!!!!

Pitz
November 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
JMU 10, Maine 3
Villanova 31, Richmond 28
UMASS 38, Northeastern 6
W&M 46, Towson 13
UNH 40, URI 17
Delaware 20, Hofstra 10

kdinva
November 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
JMU 23; Maine 16
Villanova 27, UR 25
UMass 35, Northeastern 9
W&M 38, Towson 13
UNH 44, URI 20
Delaware 26, Hofstra 17

Dukie95
November 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
NU 10 @ UMass 24
Towson 10 @ W&M 24
URI 3 @ UNH 31
Hofstra 14 @ UD 28

Not much to say about those. Home team wins convincingly in each case...yawn.

Maine 6 @ JMU 14
After suffering through the toughest 3 week gauntlet in all the country, the schedule got a bit easier for JMU last week and it gets easier still. Their offense should be ok enough to get by Maine at home, and their defense is really on a roll. I'm just glad this one is in Harrisonburg. JMU lost their first CAA North game since 2005 earlier this year...I don't see them extending that losing streak...THIS week.

Nova 21 @ UR 23
I'll repeat a bit of what I said in the other thread about this game. Nova has the more complete team, but UR has the best player on the field and he can put the team on his shoulder and take over a game over the way Landers used to for the Dukes. Matt Szczur is the better athlete, but he can only do so much on those snaps when he isn't behind center. I like UR in a close game.

soccerguy315
November 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
James Madison
Richmond
UMass
New Hampshire
William and Mary
Delaware

all eyes on UR/Nova this week, obviously. I'll be watching on Comcast SportsNet after W&M finishes with Towson.

93henfan
November 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
JMU 21, Maine 14
Villanova 27, Richmond 24
UMASS 41, Northeastern 10
W&M 38, Towson 14
UNH 41, URI 13
Delaware 35, Hofstra 21

GoBlueHens83
November 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hofstra 2 @ Delaware 3
Northeastern 10 @ Massachusetts 35
Rhode Island 9 @ New Hampshire 42
Towson 14 @ William & Mary 38
Maine 24 @ James Madison 20
villanova 24 @ Richmond 21

SpidersSportsEditor
November 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Richmond 31 Villanova 27
JMU 17 Maine 13
UMass 27 NU 6
W&M 27 Towson 10
UNH 27 URI 9
Delaware 27 Hofstra 13

Pitz
November 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Consensus: Towson is undoubtedly scoring between 10-14 points.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Here's my take:

Maine 10 James Madison 21: If this game were in Orono, it could be different. However, it's not, and Maine's not the kind of team that can go on the road and beat, well, most anybody. In addition, this matchup is bad for Maine - they're not very good at run defense, and even against weak running teams (i.e. UD) Maine gets worn down in the second half. JMU's not going to have to do much other than run run run, which is what they like to do anyway. Maine is stingy, so this game won't get out of hand, but JMU should be able to win this one pretty easily at home.

villanova 31 Richmond 35: Again, home field matters in this one. Richmond has gone on the road this year and should've lost twice (at UD and at JMU), but they've held home court just fine this year. And nova's only slip-up this year came on the road at UNH. This one should be tight, but it's hard not to see Ward and company doing just enough to get the win, like they have for so many weeks in a row now. Until someone beats Richmond, I just see them rolling along.

Northeastern 10 UMass 42: UMass positively owns Northeastern in this series, even more so in Amherst. There's just no way, barring UMass forgetting where their own field is, that Northeastern wins this thing. UMass in a romp.

Towson 10 William and Mary 38: Another romp not worth watching. I'm assuming that Towson gets all 10 of their points late in this game. Just zero offense on that team going up against a pretty good defense.

Rhode Island 14 New Hampshire 42: Third romp in a row. URI is terrible an UNH is going to the playoffs. Again, unless the home team can't find the field, this is no contest.

Hofstra 14 Delaware 35: I don't think UD is anywhere near as bad as they looked last week. Blame it on the weather, the week layoff, whatever, but the Hens aren't that bad. Matchup-wise, the area of worry (UD's o-line versus JMU's d-line) couldn't have been any more one-sided and despite plenty of opportunities to put some distance between them and JMU last week in the first half, it didn't happen. Now the Hens must win out to make the playoffs and the first step is Hofstra, the team who beat the JMU team that just beat UD. Luckily for the Hens, this game is in Newark and Hofstra has only beaten URI and Bryant on the road this year. The Hens should be looking to make ammends for last week's clunker and on Senior Day in Newark (small Sr. class - only something like 9 of them on the roster) the Hens should stay alive for the playoffs for one more week.

iceman4221
November 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Maine, Richmond, UMass, W&M, UNH and Hofstra in the Upset Special of the Week for the CAA...

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
villanova 31 Richmond 35: Again, home field matters in this one. Richmond has gone on the road this year and should've lost twice (at UD and at JMU), but they've held home court just fine this year. And nova's only slip-up this year came on the road at UNH. This one should be tight, but it's hard not to see Ward and company doing just enough to get the win, like they have for so many weeks in a row now. Until someone beats Richmond, I just see them rolling along.

In all fairness, Who has UR played at home to this point in the season? Villanova beat Temple and Penn on the road this year and Temple is looking very good and Penn is certainly not terrible. In the UNH game i knew from the opening kickoff that the team with the wind at their back in the fourth quarter was going to win the game. Villanova has also only given up 13 points in their last ten quarters of football (six of said quarters were on the road).. I wouldn't say that's too shabby. I like that you're picking it to be close but I a) don't think it will be in the 30's and b) Think that the last team with the ball wins the game. Villanova also has won 19 of the 28 meetings between these teams and 5 of the last 7 fwiw.

MacThor
November 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
In all fairness, Who has UR played at home to this point in the season? Villanova beat Temple and Penn on the road this year and Temple is looking very good and Penn is certainly not terrible. In the UNH game i knew from the opening kickoff that the team with the wind at their back in the fourth quarter was going to win the game. Villanova has also only given up 13 points in their last ten quarters of football (six of said quarters were on the road).. I wouldn't say that's too shabby. I like that you're picking it to be close but I a) don't think it will be in the 30's and b) Think that the last team with the ball wins the game. Villanova also has won 19 of the 28 meetings between these teams and 5 of the last 7 fwiw.

You're right; UR has been ducking good teams all year and padding their schedule with patsies. They've done absolutely nothing to deserve their #1 ranking and should just call up Sczur, Whitney and Talley and forfeit.

Hoyadestroya85
November 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
You're right; UR has been ducking good teams all year and padding their schedule with patsies. They've done absolutely nothing to deserve their #1 ranking and should just call up Sczur, Whitney and Talley and forfeit.

I didn't say that, all I said is that you haven't played anyone at home yet.. You absolutely deserve the number one ranking. I didn't even say Villanova would win.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Well, they played a decent Hofstra team and just obliterated them, and they also dismantled UMass. I'd certainly say those two teams are a step up from the Penn team you reference (seriously, Penn???). And the 19 of the last 28 meetings will mean very, very little on Saturday.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Maine 17 @ JMU 14 xrotatehx Don't look now, but Maine is building towards UNH showdown for 16th spot in the field
Nova 24 @ UR 27 (OT). xnodx Why not? Home team pulls out OT victory. I am not I want to go into the playoffs undefeated, though.
NE 14 @ UMass 17 xconfusedx Air has been let out of ZooMass balloon, but enough left to limp to the victory at home.
Towson 7 @ W&M 45. xsmiley_wix Tune up for northern 'Cats next weekend. Nothing more.
URI 24 @ UNH 31. xnonox Not quite an upset. However, Bill and Mary on the horizon uncharacteristically creeps into Wildcat peripheral vision this week.
Hofstra 17 @ UD 14. xeekx Hofstra finishes strong while UD suffers from ZooMass syndrome, ....

Bettina90
November 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
"Villanova beat Temple and Penn on the road this year"

UM, "on the road"? Nova and their fans can take Septa to those venues. Seriously.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I think UNH/URI will be closer than it needs to be. I even felt like the game between NU/UNH was closer than the final score indicated. I think UNH will win by 17-24 points, but it won't feel like a big win, and might be closer until the end.

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
"Villanova beat Temple and Penn on the road this year"

UM, "on the road"? Nova and their fans can take Septa to those venues. Seriously.

Ok, when you play The College and JMU we won't call it an away game ever again.. deal?

19Duke97
November 5th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Maine 7 @ JMU 28 JMU may have hit their stride last week, and are primed to play like they can. Also, this is not Orono where Maine is much tougher.
Nova 27 @ UR 20. Seen both, think VU is better than UR
NE 7 @ UMass 35 NE is a terrible CAA team, UMASS may be gasping for playoff air, but they should play like it's still possible.
Towson 0 @ W&M 35. W&M D is the real deal, and Towson should be in the NEC.
URI 14 @ UNH 52. UNH @ home versus a team that lost to Towson, no contest.
Hofstra 20 @ UD 21. Which Hofstra AND UD team show up in the mystery bowl?? I'll take the home team in a squeaker.

bostonspider
November 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Ok, when you play The College and JMU we won't call it an away game ever again.. deal?

Well come on now. Both Penn and Temple play in huge stadiums in the same metro area as Villanova, accessible by public transportation. I think I recall Villanova fans claiming they would have nearly as many fans at both venues as the home team would. UR would never be able to make that claim about playing in either of the "Burgs" which are 1 to 2 hours away from campus by car, and W&M and JMU both have a propensity to fill their own stadiums with fans.

Bettina90
November 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Exactly. I live in the Philadelphia area, don't tell me Penn or Temple is a road game, certainly not to the extent that it ramps up the difficulty in playing it.

JMUNJ08
November 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well come on now. Both Penn and Temple play in huge stadiums in the same metro area as Villanova, accessible by public transportation. I think I recall Villanova fans claiming they would have nearly as many fans at both venues as the home team would. UR would never be able to make that claim about playing in either of the "Burgs" which are 1 to 2 hours away from campus by car, and W&M and JMU both have a propensity to fill their own stadiums with fans.

Exactly. I live in the Philadelphia area, don't tell me Penn or Temple is a road game, certainly not to the extent that it ramps up the difficulty in playing it.

Its not Nova's home stadium with its home crowd = ROAD GAME. Doesn't matter how far you travel. Getting on a bus to go however far makes that game more difficult and uncomfortable to some extent. Ask Duke / UNC. That 8 mile trip is a road game no matter the sport.

We brought more JMU fans to your homecoming than you did the past 2 times so should we call that a home game for us? No, its your place and still difficult to play at (even with our wins;)).

bostonspider
November 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Last year JMU had 6K fans and UR had 10K, not sure how that makes JMU's crowd "more". Richmond has to take a bus to all their home games as well. Penn and Temple were not "true" road environments, almost more like neutral sites.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I think UNH/URI will be closer than it needs to be. I even felt like the game between NU/UNH was closer than the final score indicated. I think UNH will win by 17-24 points, but it won't feel like a big win, and might be closer until the end.

Cobblestone... you making the trip up?

MacThor
November 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Getting on a bus to go however far makes that game more difficult and uncomfortable to some extent.

Then I guess Richmond hasn't played a home game in 81 years.

JMUNJ08
November 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Then I guess Richmond hasn't played a home game in 81 years.

I will agree with you on thatxnodx

10K>6K - we just needed more tickets!!!!
That's still pretty close for a 'home' game

bigappfan10
November 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I've been following these teams this fall and so, just like everyone else, i have my prediction. Though I've looked at trends, schedules, history...i'm going on my gut on this one. Richmond right now reminds me of recent app teams in that sometimes they barely win and sometimes they blow teams out BUT when there are big moment games against the better competition, they'll put it in an extra gear villanova won't have...and then it just gets ugly.

Richmond 41
Villanova 17

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I've been following these teams this fall and so, just like everyone else, i have my prediction. Though I've looked at trends, schedules, history...i'm going on my gut on this one. Richmond right now reminds me of recent app teams in that sometimes they barely win and sometimes they blow teams out BUT when there are big moment games against the better competition, they'll put it in an extra gear villanova won't have...and then it just gets ugly.

Richmond 41
Villanova 17

xrolleyesx
If either team scores 40 points and more than three touchdowns in this game I will literally crap my pants.

This Richmond is not nearly as explosive as those appalachian state teams.. neither is Villanova.
Using Military analogies an appalachian state game is Shock and Awe with the big plays and the home run strikes. A Villanova/Richmond game is trench warfare because the teams are methodical and they tend to matriculate the ball down the field.

19Duke97
November 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Last year JMU had 6K fans and UR had 10K, not sure how that makes JMU's crowd "more". Richmond has to take a bus to all their home games as well. Penn and Temple were not "true" road environments, almost more like neutral sites.

No way bs (haha), I was at that game, there were clearly more JMU fans than Spider fans there. Now if you stated 10K JMU fans and 6K UR fans, I'd believe you. All gate is considered home team unless purchased through the visitors site. If that were the case my party of 4 was split 2 UR and 2 JMU fans, ahem, we were all Dukes that day.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
NE @ UMass by 3-4 TDs

URI @ UNH by 3-4 TDs

Hofstra @ UD by 1-2 TDs

Towson @ W&M by 4-5 TDs

Maine @ JMU by 2-3 TDs. Think McGee will finally break a return for a TD.

Nova @ UR. Nova by a TD or less.

Mattymc727
November 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM
JMU 27; Maine 10
Villanova 21, UR 24
UMass 35, Northeastern 17
W&M 41, Towson 7
UNH 31, URI 21
Delaware 27, Hofstra 14

Eight Legger
November 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
NE 10 UMass 28
URI 17 UNH 45
Hofstra 14 UD 28
Towson 10 W&M 48
Maine 17 JMU 27
Villanova 24 Richmond 34

89Hen
November 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
JMU 24 - Maine 13
Villanova 27 - Richmond 24
UMass 31 - Northeastern 10
W&M 42 - Towson 6
UNH 34 - URI 16
UD 28 - Hofstra 13

GeeWiz
November 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Richmond 28 'Nova 24 - Best game of the day sees the Spidahs hold on for a close win
JMU 27 UMaine 21 - Dukes big win last week carries over to outlast the Dirty Cubs
W&M 38 Towson 14 - Tribe continues to roll
UNH 34 URI 17 - Wildcats win easy as they march toward the North title
UMass 38 NU 20 - Yet another win for the Minutemess against NU
Delaware 31 HU 28 in OT - Blue Chickens eek out a close win to keep their faint playoff hopes alive

and in the big one ...

... ODU 37 NC Central 17 - Monarchs roll to continue an impressive first season

SpiderInTheMixingBowl
November 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
NE 17 UMass 24
URI 14 UNH 31
Hofstra 20 UD 27
Towson 14 W&M 38
Maine 14 JMU 28
Nova 13 UR 24

BDKJMU
November 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
NE @ UMass by 3-4 TDs (37-7) xthumbsupx

URI @ UNH by 3-4 TDs (55-42) xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

Hofstra @ UD by 1-2 TDs (28-24) xthumbsupx (little closer than I thought)

Towson @ W&M by 4-5 TDs (31-0) xthumbsupx

Maine @ JMU by 2-3 TDs. Think McGee will finally break a return for a TD. (22-14) xthumbsupx McGee didn't break one. It looked like I was going to be right with the 2-3 TD margin heading into the 4th (22-0).

Nova @ UR. Nova by a TD or less. (21-20) xthumbsupx

6-0, my 1st perfect week.

Week 1: No picks
Week 2: 7-1 (wrong on Ball State/UNH)
Week 3: 7-2 (wrong on Maine/Albany & Towson/Coastal)
Week 4: 9-1 (wrong on Towson/Morgan State)
Week 5: 4-2 (wrong on URI/Brown & JMU/HU)
Week 6: 2-4 (wrong on Nova/UNH, UR/JMU, Maine/HU, UMass/UD)
Week 7: 3-2 (wrong on Nova/JMU and UNH/UMass)
Week 8: 4-1 (wrong on Towson/NE)
Week 9: 3-2 (wrong on JMU/UD and UMass/Maine)
Week 10: 6-0

93henfan
November 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
JMU 21, Maine 14 (22-14) xthumbsupx
Villanova 27, Richmond 24 (21-20) xthumbsupx
UMASS 41, Northeastern 10 (37-7) xthumbsupx
W&M 38, Towson 14 (31-0) xthumbsupx
UNH 41, URI 13 (55-42) xeyebrowx
Delaware 35, Hofstra 21 (28-24) xthumbsupx

6-0 this week

I also went 18-1 in the GoHens point spread pool. xrulesx

Feel free to drop a dollar in old 93henfan the Greek's tip jar. :D

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
JMU 24 - Maine 13 (22-14) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
Villanova 27 - Richmond 24 (21-20) xthumbsupx
UMass 31 - Northeastern 10 (37-7) xthumbsupx
W&M 42 - Towson 6 (31-0) xthumbsupx
UNH 34 - URI 16 (55-42) xcoolx
UD 28 - Hofstra 13 (28-24) xthumbsupx

Where's the latest guy that said computers are better at picking games?

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Counted 17 who made picks. Counted 6 who went 6-0:
Me, Pitz, Kdinva, 93Henfan, 19Duke97, 89Hen.

Probably more that picked right this week than any other.

Dukie95
November 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Counted 17 who made picks. Counted 6 who went 6-0:
Me, Pitz, Kdinva, 93Henfan, 19Duke97, 89Hen.

Probably more that picked right this week than any other.

Basically, you had to get the UR/Nova game right..not sure there were many disagreements with the others.

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Maine 24 @ James Madison 20

Maine 17 @ JMU 14 xrotatehx Don't look now, but Maine is building towards UNH showdown for 16th spot in the field

You 2 were the only ones on here besides the SCSU poster picking Maine. xlolx

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Maine, Richmond, UMass, W&M, UNH and Hofstra in the Upset Special of the Week for the CAA...

Congratulations. Way to go 3-3. You're the only one on here who didn't pick at least 4 of the 6 right.

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Basically, you had to get the UR/Nova game right..not sure there were many disagreements with the others.

Well, 3 did pick Maine (one of them the SCSU poster) and he also picked Hofstra.

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't necessarily fault anybody for picking Maine. Based on the Jekyll and Hyde make up of both teams it could've gone any number of ways.

JMU Newbill
November 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Are we really revisiting this that much?

JMUNJ08
November 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Are we really revisiting this that much?

Yes I was .5 points away from being perfect! (UR 23.5 Nova 23)

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
You 2 were the only ones on here besides the SCSU poster picking Maine. xlolx

Hey, thanks for giving both us 15 seconds of fame, ...... xthumbsupx Don't worry, I have JMU winning by about 80 points this week, .....