PDA

View Full Version : Half of '08 Playoff TEams out this yr ?

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM
There is a good chance that 1/2 of last years playoff field will be at home this year... This kind of turnover makes FCS ball fun.

Already out:

JMU
Woffy
Cal Poly
Maine

Most Likely Out:

Weber St.
Tx. State
EKU
UNI

Holla xnodx

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Turnover? Don't know much about that. xrolleyesx

joecooll6
November 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I disagree that UNI is most likely out. If we are able to win the rest of our games we will definately be in the conversation with a shot at a bid. Texas State still has a legit shot to win its conference as well.

sikolec
November 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Very interesting. This does make FCS fun to follow (minus the fact that Cal Poly is out xsmhx )

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
joe cool

I disagree with you... UNI has to win out and hope that SDSU and SO Ill stumble. If all three win out, I think getting three in from MOVAL will be difficult... I would take a 1 or 2 loss team from Patriot instead and I think the committee will lean that way as well

EKUSteve
November 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Would you think it possible for EKU to get in if it finished 8 - 3 with wins over Kentucky and Jacksonville St on the road? I doubt it would happen, but if it does, would there be a case for an at large bid assuming EIU wins out?

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I think OVC is one bid league, and MOVal is no more than 2, Big Sky is 2, SOCOn 2, CAA 3-4, Southland could land 2 as could PL and MEAC. Will be an interesting year fo sure

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
joe cool

I disagree with you... UNI has to win out and hope that SDSU and SO Ill stumble. If all three win out, I think getting three in from MOVAL will be difficult... I would take a 1 or 2 loss team from Patriot instead and I think the committee will lean that way as well

No way does the committee take a second team from the Patriot over an 8-3 team from the Missouri Valley, especially if its Northern Iowa.

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
GolfingGRiz

8-3 UNI third place would lose out to 10-1 second place from PL write it down.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
joe cool

At 8-3 UNI is a lock. Their losses would be to a top 10 team in the FBS by one point and two top 10 FCS teams. Patriot is too weak to overcome that.

joecooll6
November 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
joe cool

Couldnt disagree more. Patriot League will not get two unless a lot of other people lose. The MVFC has gotten 3 or more multiple times. The Patriot League, as a whole only has a total of 1 win over a fully funded scholarship team with a winning record, and that is 5-4 Stony Brook. I think Liberty, FAMU, a 3 loss Big Sky and a 3 loss MVFC team get in before any Patriot League team.

In fact, the fact that you call the CAA a 3-4 bid league shows me you dont know much. The CAA is a LOCK for 4. Richmond, New Hampshire, Nova and William and Mary will be in. Count it.

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Bison

Disagree... and that is what is good about AGS... we all get to express our views.

Peace...

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Couldnt disagree more. Patriot League will not get two unless a lot of other people lose. The MVFC has gotten 3 or more multiple times. The Patriot League, as a whole only has a total of 1 win over a fully funded scholarship team with a winning record, and that is 5-4 Stony Brook. I think Liberty, FAMU, a 3 loss Big Sky and a 3 loss MVFC team get in before any Patriot League team.

In fact, the fact that you call the CAA a 3-4 bid league shows me you dont know much. The CAA is a LOCK for 4. Richmond, New Hampshire, Nova and William and Mary will be in. Count it.

That certainly raised an eyebrow for me as well.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
GolfingGRiz

You do realize that a second place PL team would have two losses?

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Jo Cool

Tru dat.. CAA is porbably gettin 4 in, but the committee has done stupid stuff before...

I think a 10-1 Colgate team has as much of a case as any team you just mentioned...

But it would be interesting of UNI doesn't make it, who gets tht spot?

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Fargo

Colgate could finish 10-1 with one league loss and be 2nd

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Joe Cool

No need to insult... I do a few things and I"m just creating a dialogue. I don't have anything against UNI just spewing "what ifs"

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
GolfingGRiz

If so please send this 10-1 team to Missoula. I don't want anything to do with an 8-3 UNI team in the first round. CAA has been fattening up on the Patriot long enough. Give someone else a spot in line at the buffet.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Fargo

Colgate could finish 10-1 with one league loss and be 2nd

I forgot about Colgate, but a 10-1 Colgate over a 8-3 UNI team is laughable. Colgate probably wouldn't even have a winning record against UNI's schedule.

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
UNI would beat the top two Patriot league teams handily.xlolx

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
If so please send this 10-1 team to Missoula. I don't want anything to do with an 8-3 UNI team in the first round. CAA has been fattening up on the Patriot long enough. Give someone else a spot in line at the buffet.

xlolx

ValleyChamp
November 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
UNI is much much better than any Patriot team.

joecooll6
November 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Jo Cool

Tru dat.. CAA is porbably gettin 4 in, but the committee has done stupid stuff before...

I think a 10-1 Colgate team has as much of a case as any team you just mentioned...

But it would be interesting of UNI doesn't make it, who gets tht spot?

If Delaware or Northern Arizona win out, they are in. Period. Look up their remaining schedule. Its tough, and theyll likely lose at least one, but if they win out theyll both have too good a resume to pass up.

Montana State likely would be in over any other teams if they win out and punctuate it by beating Montana the last week of the season.

If EWU wins out they would have solid wins over Montana State and Northern Arizona and would be in over any other teams.

I can see the arguement that a 10-1 Colgate should be in over UNI, just because they have two more wins. While UNI doesnt have any real spectacular wins, I think the quality of the schedule should get them in over a 10-1 team that only has 1 win against a team that awards full scholarships.

I think a 9-2 Liberty (with a win over Lafayette) and a FAMU 9-2 can say basically the same thing.

Thanks for the healthy debate though. Its a lot more fun without the flaming and name calling.

drpnut
November 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Joe Cool and other posters

We all want the same thing... a good playoff field with the most deserving team... with that said... we all know that the committee doesn't alas put the most deserving teams in or are they always fair in the pairings...

I just think this year would be a good year for someone like UNI to get "Woofed" You all remember what getting "woofed" means. In 02 Wofford was 9-3 from the SoCon and got hosed as did we in 05 at 8-3... And anyone that is not from the CAA knows that Maine was a questionable call last year...

At least 6 of last years playoff teams will be sitting at home maybe 8...

And next year when 20 get in I think that just gives even more room for "who are the most desrving teams"

Peace

joecooll6
November 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree the committee can do weird things. Who knows. UNI certaintly isn't "in". They still have to win out, which with they way we've been playing is not likely. And then we would be in the conversation, but other teams could make an argument. I guess we can't complain though if we get left out at 8-3, we had our chance to avoid being on the bubble and we blew it.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Joe Cool and other posters

We all want the same thing... a good playoff field with the most deserving team... with that said... we all know that the committee doesn't alas put the most deserving teams in or are they always fair in the pairings...

I just think this year would be a good year for someone like UNI to get "Woofed" You all remember what getting "woofed" means. In 02 Wofford was 9-3 from the SoCon and got hosed as did we in 05 at 8-3... And anyone that is not from the CAA knows that Maine was a questionable call last year...

At least 6 of last years playoff teams will be sitting at home maybe 8...

And next year when 20 get in I think that just gives even more room for "who are the most desrving teams"

Peace

that was '04xthumbsupx w got left out because of the lack of quality wins...and losing by double digits to App, GSU, and maybe Furman (can't remember that score)

UNHFootballAlum
November 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
At 8-3 UNI is a lock. Their losses would be to a top 10 team in the FBS by one point and two top 10 FCS teams. Patriot is too weak to overcome that.

I agree that at 8-3 UNI is in. UNI has been a perrenial NC contender ( I know that this shouldn't count for this year, but it will have an impact) and more importantly to the NCAA (money) is that they always have a high $ bid and pack the Dome (unless they play against a seeded team). The committee will not pass up the money.

UNH Fanboi
November 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I agree that an 8-3 UNI is a near lock. They won't have beaten anyone that great, but all their losses would be to very tough teams. It's not like any of the other teams in contention for the last couple of spots will have any huge wins on their resumes, and they all have worse losses than UNI (e.g., Liberty to JMU).

Ask any coach whether they would want to play the 2nd place Patriot League team or UNI in the first round.