PDA

View Full Version : Liberty vs. Eastern Washington: Who Deserves the Playoffs More?

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Alright, with 3 weeks left and seeing these prognostications, It is apparent that EWU & Liberty are the favorites to get the final At-Large Berth.

Who do you believe is more deserving of a spot: Liberty, Eastern Washington OR Some other team? xconfusedx

Libertine
November 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Come on, East Coast Bias! xthumbsupx

fltheadgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Way too early to tell.
Too much football to be played yet to get everyone's panties in a wad.
Let's see this poll on November 15th.

knucklehead
November 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Come on, East Coast Bias! xthumbsupx
Agree!

Look, it could go either way or a different way at this point. I say LU right now with the path ahead of them, but there is way too much football left to play yet.

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Their resumes at this point don't add up but that's just because their big games are yet to come. I'd definitely take EWU by 21+ points if they played each other right now but that doesn't count towards anything until it delivers.

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Way too early to tell.
Too much football to be played yet to get everyone's panties in a wad.
Let's see this poll on November 15th.

There is alot of football left but every one of these games in Nov are paramount for these 2 along with every other team with Aspirations. Besides, it definitely makes for a good debate.

Khan4Cats
November 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I am going to vote neither for now because there is still too much going on and other factors that may come into play (i.e. does a third MVFC team make it over a second Big Sky, does a second Southland team get a bid, does a second MEAC (FAMU) get a look or another Patriot because of travel/pairing concerns...etc).

ToTheLeft
November 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Liberty based on predicted final resume.

EWU if the season ended today.

EWU wins out and they'll get in over LU.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
I vote for Liberty.

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
lib hands down.

knucklehead
November 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Again Kirk, thanks for the love.

joecooll6
November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Alright, with 3 weeks left and seeing these prognostications, It is apparent that EWU & Liberty are the favorites to get the final At-Large Berth.

Who do you believe is more deserving of a spot: Liberty, Eastern Washington OR Some other team? xconfusedx

Just curious, do you have UNI as a team that's "in"?

Honestly, its too early to answer this question. If Delaware, Northern Arizona or Montana State find a way to win out, they deserve to get in before EWU LU or UNI.

Keenan
November 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Liberty 3 games remaining
Eastern Washington 2 games remaining

too much time to say it will be down to these two teams. Let's vote again in three weeks if both teams win out. Let's not forget about a Montana State team that could win out and take that last spot.

SumItUp
November 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM

Honestly, its too early to answer this question. If Delaware, Northern Arizona or Montana State find a way to win out, they deserve to get in before EWU LU or UNI.

If Delaware wins out including a win over Navy, they are in.
If Northern Arizona wins out including a win at Ole Miss, they are in.

Assumptions are being made that the FBS schools and Montana (over Montana State) win.

HLNgriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
I see EWU getting on a roll and feel sorry for who ever has to play them in the first round. Just ask the McNeese.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
I see EWU getting on a roll and feel sorry for who ever has to play them in the first round. Just ask the McNeese.

Or Southern Illinois, granted that wasn't a blowout. EWU will be dangerous if they get in. Too bad Boyce is out.

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Again Kirk, thanks for the love.

spreaden that big south love xsmiley_wix

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
frankly, Id just love to see these two teams play eachother, probably the only person on here with interest in that as I had family go to EWU and I go to Liberty. Probably one of the only people on this board who have seen both play live at home as well, and with that I have to say that Liberty hast a better program being built than what EWU has.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
frankly, Id just love to see these two teams play eachother, probably the only person on here with interest in that as I had family go to EWU and I go to Liberty. Probably one of the only people on this board who have seen both play live at home as well, and with that I have to say that Liberty hast a better program being built than what EWU has.

Probably should make the playoffs before stating that you have a better program than EWU...

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
The bias is strong on this forum .....

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
probably should read a post before words come out. Lib is building a better program.

key idea = building does not equal currently does have

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
The bias is strong on this forum .....

As it will be with two groups who feel they are being overlooked. Liberty and the Big South conference and EWU and FCS football in the west.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
probably should read a post before words come out. Lib is building a better program.

key idea = building does not equal currently does have

Fair enough. Don't know anything about Liberty so I can't say much.

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
hope that didnt come off to dickish either. Liberty still has a long way to go, but we are definitely moving very fast in the right direction. I cant say the same about EWU from what I know about them. I also think alot of west coast teams under estimate teams on the east coast. Granted, LU vs Montana, huge blowout win for Montana. But I also think there are a number of west coast teams that get too much credit that LU could beat if they ever met.

You also have to keep in mind that Liberty from 1971 to 2005 was a horrible program going nowhere with high dreams, but for the last few years they have been building a great program, not saying they are great right now, but again, building something.

SumItUp
November 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
You also have to keep in mind that Liberty from 1971 to 2005 was a horrible program going nowhere with high dreams, but for the last few years they have been building a great program, not saying they are great right now, but again, building something.

Liberty had a few bad years prior to Coach Rocco's arrival, but they have not been horrible since their inception. There were some good years during Rutigliano's run and it was during that time that the foundation was laid for the success of the program today.

mlbowl
November 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
lib hands down.

EWU hands down.

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Liberty had a few bad years prior to Coach Rocco's arrival, but they have not been horrible since their inception. There were some good years during Rutigliano's run and it was during that time that the foundation was laid for the success of the program today.

we werent as proactive then about being better though. It was much more of a "well hopefully well be as good again next year" if we had a good year, now the feeling on the mountain is that every year will be much better then the last.

Shellin
November 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
hope that didnt come off to dickish either. Liberty still has a long way to go, but we are definitely moving very fast in the right direction. I cant say the same about EWU from what I know about them. I also think alot of west coast teams under estimate teams on the east coast. Granted, LU vs Montana, huge blowout win for Montana. But I also think there are a number of west coast teams that get too much credit that LU could beat if they ever met.

And that right there is why EWU would deserve this slot if it came down to these two teams. As others have stated though, we still have way too much football left to be played before we start worrying about who is going to get snubbed.

eagle1
November 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have purposefully stayed away from this thread until now because the Eags have to beat both Southern Utah and Northern Arizona on the road before this is even a discussion. EWU is taking it one game at a time and until a week ago was not even eligible for the playoffs. Go Eags!!!

knucklehead
November 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
we werent as proactive then about being better though. It was much more of a "well hopefully well be as good again next year" if we had a good year, now the feeling on the mountain is that every year will be much better then the last.

Seriously. How long have you payed attention to LU? We were very good in the 90s.

Schfourteenteen
November 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
For voice of reason,

See ToTheLeft's response on Page 1.

The real question isnt whether Eastern Washington is better than Liberty or who deserves the 16th spot more.

It's "Will EWU win their last two games?" If so, theyre in the playoffs over Liberty as they should be.

fantheflames71
November 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Seriously. How long have you payed attention to LU? We were very good in the 90s.

Yeah we did good in the 90's, we were just never fully there the whole season. We had alot of multiple loss seasons that also contained wins over high ranked teams. But again, the point being that in the 90's we had the vision and the goals and everything, but compared to today, we werent doing much to reach those goals.

What I mean is look at most of the teams we played in the 90's and where our program is now compared to theirs. They built their programs then, were just now starting to.

JohnStOnge
November 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
It's real close and the power ratings have Eastern Washington rated a little higher. For example: Sagarin's ratings would make EWU a 4.5 point favorite over Liberty on a neutral field. However, when I look at the actual results I think the most "quality" win between the two is Liberty's win over Lafayette. I also look at Liberty's 13 point loss to West Virginia as the most impressive loss. I know it's a loss but that's the way I look at things. For instance: If one team beats Savannah State 50 - 0 and the other team loses to Florida 28-7, I consider the 28-7 loss to Florida to be the more impressive performance. In this case I think the 13 point loss by Liberty to West Virginia is the most impressive one game performance by either team. Yes, I think Cal is a little better than West Virginia. But I don't think it's by much. In fact if the two played I'd expect a very competetive game and wouldn't be surprised at all if West Virginia won. I certainly don't think losing to Cal by 52 points is anything a FCS needs to be embarassed about but it's not something that impresses either.

BlackNGold
November 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
EWU hands down.

Neither Hands Down

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Liberty has and would get squashed by Montana. EWU most always gives the Griz a close game, sometimes getting a win (2005, 34-20 in Missoula), and very rarely getting blownout.

If we win our final two games, we're in.

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM

As we all know, these are just "educated" (xlolx) guesses on who is "in" and who is "out". I, for instance, have UNI in the playoffs, at this point in the season. I am looking at it from the perspective of "if the season ended TODAY, who would be in?"

The way these teams are in the polls, this week, in addition to the prognostications, led me to ask who is more deserving, at this point and if they win out? This by no ways leave out teams that lost this weekend or have "weaken" resumes. for all we know, Lafayette and FAMU may be the "final" two teams with UNI and App. State on the outside looking in.

BTW: most of us have gotten these things right more so than the computers. xwhistlex

IaaScribe
November 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Liberty has never played Montana.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Liberty has never played Montana.

I must have misread what someone said then... perhaps they just said Liberty would get blown out by Montana.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM

That was what led me to believe they had played.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM

Right. I think they tried to grow faster than was reasonably possible in the past.

Are they still committed to FCS, or will they dive into the FBS waters?

jcmanson
November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Right. I think they tried to grow faster than was reasonably possible in the past.

Are they still committed to FCS, or will they dive into the FBS waters?

We're focused on making the playoffs

SuperJon
November 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Where did all of these Liberty posters come from?

jcmanson
November 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM

flamefans

knucklehead
November 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
flamefans

.com

Grizzaholic
November 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM

Same place the NDSU and SD fans came from in years past.

The Gadfly
November 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Liberty doesn't play anybody. Hell, Coastal should have never gone to the playoffs when we did. NOBODY in the Big South should go EVER until they improve their programs and start beating the big dawgs on a regular basis.

Buzzcut
November 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
EWU, hands down. Obviously, a lot of people have forgotten what EWU did to McNeese last year on the road during the first round of the playoffs. Liberty's program is definitely on the right track to greatness, but you're just not there yet.

ToTheLeft
November 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
EWU, hands down. Obviously, a lot of people have forgotten what EWU did to McNeese last year on the road during the first round of the playoffs. Liberty's program is definitely on the right track to greatness, but you're just not there yet.

Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about this year. xthumbsupx

Buzzcut
November 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about this year. xthumbsupx

I knew that was coming. :D Regardless of this year or last, I think EWU plays a tougher schedule and deserves the nod at a chance for post-season play. However, Liberty, your time is coming.

Pitz
November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
How is Weber St not in this discussion with EWU?

The two teams have identical records against FCS competition, with Weber St. beating EWU straight up 31-13 on the road.

Poker Alan
November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
How is Weber St not in this discussion with EWU?

The two teams have identical records against FCS competition, with Weber St. beating EWU straight up 31-13 on the road.

4 losses

Thank MSU if WSU misses the playoffs...

Pitz
November 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
4 losses

Thank MSU if WSU misses the playoffs...

Don't you feel EWU's D-II win cancels this out?

Also noteworthy that two of Weber St's losses were to FBS teams by a combined 8 points.

jcmanson
November 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

How do you know we’re “just not there yet.” Have you seen us play?

JMU Newbill
November 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Is neither an option?

fltheadgriz
November 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
As I posted in another thread there is way too much football to be played to have people get their panties in a wad.
This thread should be viable two weeks from now, heading into the last game of the season.
Let the teams play out before getting upset and creating ulcers.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Is neither an option?

Yes, neither JMU or EWU. xsmiley_wix

Buzzcut
November 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM

I have seen you play, but not since I departed South Carolina for the midwest a couple of years ago. I agree that you most certainly should have received a playoff berth last year. My current statement is based on your strength of schedule this year and overall record. I'd say your best win this season was your on the road win at Lafayette, but come on, blowing out a team like Presbyterian at home doesn't exactly convince me you deserve an at large playoff bid.

jcmanson
November 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have seen you play, but not since I departed South Carolina for the midwest a couple of years ago. I agree that you most certainly should have received a playoff berth last year. My current statement is based on your strength of schedule this year and overall record. I'd say your best win this season was your on the road win at Lafayette, but come on, blowing out a team like Presbyterian at home doesn't exactly convince me you deserve an at large playoff bid.

I agree. Our conference sucks, but we have to play those games. A lot more weight will be put on our out of conference games (WVU, NC Central, Laffy, JMU, & WV Wesleyan). We went 3-2 in those games, and played WVU as well as any other team we’re in consideration with played any FBS school. If you look at the JMU game, sure we lost but it was a tie game at the start of the 4th quarter. And with the monsoon that game who knows what would have happened. Also, Dudzik played his last full game against us. JMU is clearly better with a healthy Dudzik.

If JMU can finish 6-5 and Laffy gets to 10-1 winning the Patriot League, I think we’re in.

uofmman1122
November 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Don't you feel EWU's D-II win cancels this out?

Also noteworthy that two of Weber St's losses were to FBS teams by a combined 8 points.No.

They lost at home to MSU. EWU beat MSU. If you really want to compare games, EWU also played Montana, @ Montana, much better than WSU did.

If EWU wins out, they make the playoffs over Weber and Liberty.

EdubAlum
November 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
EWU!

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
If JMU can finish 6-5 and Laffy gets to 10-1 winning the Patriot League, I think we’re in.

A lot of ifs and 3 games to go!

griz8791
November 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM

Interestingly enough, I keep getting your games all the way up here on Sunday afternoons on something called "JCTV," which is apparently a feed I get some but not all of the time.

And yes, from what I have seen the past couple of Sundays, you do look impressive.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Interestingly enough, I keep getting your games all the way up here on Sunday afternoons on something called "JCTV," which is apparently a feed I get some but not all of the time.

And yes, from what I have seen the past couple of Sundays, you do look impressive.

Yep, we have a huge TV package for an "up and coming program", don't we? JCTV is part of Trinity Broadcasting Network. The games are also on Family Net, MASN, and numerous local channels scattered all over.

Thanks for the good word.

ToTheLeft
November 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, LU football has one of the, if not the biggest footprint for TV coverage on the FCS level.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Except for when the conference takes the games away for their "package" like this week vs VMI. Ours is better.