PDA

View Full Version : Question for App fans (ASU turning point?)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I was reading recently about Tim Tebow's speech from last year and about how Florida was a completely different team after that (hard to argue against that). It made me think of a particular play midway through the third quarter in the App-Wofford game. Wofford had a 34-20 lead and threw one towards the end zone hoping to put a final nail in ASU's coffin. Legree (I think that's who it was) picked off the pass and after that it was like App. State went through a metamorphosis as a team. App outscored Wofford 24-0 in the last 20 minutes or so of the game. I was hoping that somehow Wofford just completely fell apart but watching ASU play GSU I can see that that wasn't the case. Now App has put 50+ on two teams that no current FCS offense could put 50+ on on their best day and they look like they could beat any FCS team (IMO).

My question is, did something happen on the sideline after that play? I can't really believe that it just kind of happened spontaneously.

jus10asu
November 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know what it was but I agree that in that 4th quarter of the Wofford game, the team did change completely. Maybe that gave them momentum for the rest of that game to finish strong on both sides of the ball. And after seeing how we knew we could play all year, they have now come out these past two games with a little more passion. I still don't see the passion on the field like we had in 07 but it's getting better. I said it since the beginning of the year that if this team plays with desire, they are gonna be unstoppable. Good observation.

BarefootApp
November 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
good question.
Current score this Saturday:
ASU 0
UT-C 0

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
After Wofford scores in the 3rd quarter against ASU it looked like the Juniors on the team got pretty vocal with the rest of their teammates, especially DE Jabari Fletcher. He came over to the sideline and threw his helmets down onto the blecher.

There are two reasons for the turnaround IMO. First it took AE a few weeks to get back into rhythm, remember he missed all of spring practice due to surgery and then all of fall camp due to a lawn mower. He is really only 9 weeks into the season where everyone else is 13 weeks. The timing of his throws and breaking for runs gets crisper every week. AE and the trio of Quick, Cline, and CoCo seems to be on a roll. I've never personally seen an FCS school with three WRs of that caliber on the same team.

The other turning point came in the GSU game when two freshman were inserted into the defensive line-up #42 Frazier started at Bandit LB and #18 McDuffie started at Safety. Both are extremely athletic and hit hard. McDuffie is a freak athlete, but was slow to pick up the playbook. Last two games he has 12 tackles, 2 FR, 1 INT.

IMO, as individuals this team has more raw talent than any of the championship teams. That hasn't made them a better team than the 2005-2007 teams, but the potential is there.

DLS
November 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
i remember the coaches saying that they went back to their "old style of praticing" around that time. also some personnel changes were made, namely mcduffie. that guy is like achild on christmas morning when he's out there. super excited and in on every play. i think one thing about that wofford game was that the team saw they could make a comeback and they got some confidence again.

Go Apps
November 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
If there was a turning point in that game for our season it was the end of the first half - down 14 ASU goes for it from 5 yards out and Armani runs it in - without that we are down at 14 - a field goal would have done nothing - that 5 yard run could define the whole season - in the third if we had missed the TD we would have fallen behind by 21...I don't think we would have recovered.

B&G
November 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
If there was a turning point in that game for our season it was the end of the first half - down 14 ASU goes for it from 5 yards out and Armani runs it in - without that we are down at 14 - a field goal would have done nothing - that 5 yard run could define the whole season - in the third if we had missed the TD we would have fallen behind by 21...I don't think we would have recovered.

That's exactly what I was going to say. xnodx