PDA

View Full Version : On being a fan

GrizzlyBill
November 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
It has been a good era to be a Griz Fan, since I moved to Missoula in 1990.

The audacity early in an important game to run a fake punt reverse on (about) 4th and 8 near midfield, exemplifies an exciting (perhaps sometimes wrong) style that has been really fun to watch. Critics abound, and we Griz fans have certainly come to expect a lot, but how could any football fan ask for more? There has been a phenomenal production of football excellence in this period under Don Read, Joe Glenn, and now Bobby Hauck. I don't know what it would be like having to root for a really bad, poorly coached team. The real beauty here is that accompanying a winning tradition is an underlying wonderful team spirit, where players are obviously enjoying the game, where local kids make good, and where recruits from outside Montana are well integrated into the community. (Sure, we have had a few bad characters, but what team hasn't?)

I felt bad for Cameron Higgins and Treyvn Smith and Tim Toone (of Weber State) on Saturday. I am sure they came into the game expecting to do so much better. I expected them to do better. What happened? Higgins seemed "blinded in the headlights." I suspect the answer lies with the coaching (although I hear Smith may have been injured). Successful coaching of football takes as much psychological as technical ability. The rare coach possesses both abilities in sufficient measure to adequately prepare a team of 60-70 players to come in as visitor to a game like the one Saturday in Missoula. It points out how much luck is involved in any given player with a ton of talent landing on a team where he can receive the right kind of development to make it to the next level.

However, as a counterpoint to that last statement, look at Jared Allen with the Minnesota Vikings, who comes out of Idaho State!

putter
November 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Smith was injured. He had enough tape on his ankle to cover a volkswagen.

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
However, as a counterpoint to that last statement, look at Jared Allen with the Minnesota Vikings, who comes out of Idaho State!To be fair, Idaho State was a much better team when Allen played for them than they are now.

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Whenever my pro teams are terrible (which is every year) I just tell myself "Thank God for the Griz"

GrizzlyBill
November 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
To be fair, Idaho State was a much better team when Allen played for them than they are now.

So, what happened in Pocatello? How come it's going so well at UM?

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Build it and they will come. Montana's fans need only to look towards the stadium. It has drawn sellout crowds, good coaches, and good players to Missoula.

GrizzlyBill
November 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Build it and they will come. Montana's fans need only to look towards the stadium. It has drawn sellout crowds, good coaches, and good players to Missoula.

That seems a simplistic rationale. Perhaps true—Field of Dreams. However, I think there is more to it, or more schools would be doing it —like Bozeman?

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
That seems a simplistic rationale. Perhaps true—Field of Dreams. However, I think there is more to it, or more schools would be doing it —like Bozeman?Well, in case you didn't hear, they've planned a massive satdium overhaul that's going to give them 20,000+.

If they build it, and it increases the quality of their football program as a whole, I think it's awesome.

But they're still just trying to keep up with the Jones's. xcoffeex xlolx

GrizzlyBill
November 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well, in case you didn't hear, they've planned a massive satdium overhaul that's going to give them 20,000+.

If they build it, and it increases the quality of their football program as a whole, I think it's awesome.

But they're still just trying to keep up with the Jones's. xcoffeex xlolx

I agree, it would be awesome for the Bobcats to be a stronger program. That's kinda what I'm saying in my other recent post: that other schools should step up their programs. Some of them apparently are doing so.

"Build it and they will come." Brings to mind the old saying: "Takes money to make money."