PDA

View Full Version : Willy Korn to Gardner-Webb?

elcid83
November 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/1009432.html

The State newspaper article makes it clear that Willy is looking elsewhere after the end of this season and asks him about rumors that he is interested in Gardner-Webb and/or App. State. I'm certain GW's offensive scheme would be good for the style of play that he enjoyed during his numbers busting high school days and don't know enough about App's to comment intelligently.

Here's my question for discussion purposes. How do you feel about FBS players coming in to your program and taking over? Personally, I don't much care for it. You've got kids at a school who have been busting their humps for a few years and then you have a player come in who couldn't get playing time for the big boys and they push the old guys to the curb and take over. Getting past that philosophy, Stony Brook and Liberty certainly seem to use this process to their advantage in the Big South Conference. Liberty does not report their transfers on their rosters like some schools do, but, I know QB Tommy Beecher came from South Carolina and he seems to be doing well up there. Anybody got any thoughts on this subject?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs005.snc3/11244_1181392728980_1053041569_30484371_1773648_n. jpg

OL FU
November 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
I know Furman would never let that happenxsmhx

:)

OldSouth
November 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
App has never had great luck with FBS transfers. In recent years, Tim Washington from LSU and Quavian Lewis from Vanderbilt. Both very talented and started, but due to injuries and lack of effort never seemed to stick.

Every year there are rumors of several players coming, but nothing seems to ever pan out. Could be Jerry Moore sees that these are players that usually have some issue following them.

South Carolina Duke
November 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
App has never had great luck with FBS transfers. In recent years, Tim Washington from LSU and Quavian Lewis from Vanderbilt. Both very talented and started, but due to injuries and lack of effort never seemed to stick.

Every year there are rumors of several players coming, but nothing seems to ever pan out. Could be Jerry Moore sees that these are players that usually have some issue following them.

Isn't Cadet a Transfer?

HighRyder08
November 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Travaris Cadet

Previous Colleges: Attended the University of Toledo in 2007, where he redshirted as a freshman wide receiver ... transferred to Pearl River C.C. (Poplarville, Miss.) and played in two games at wide receiver before suffering an ankle injury that caused him to miss the rest of the season ... caught two passes for 21 yards in his only action at Pearl River ... coached by Tim Hatten.

Bam
November 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
EKU loves QB transfers Mr. Korn & Richmond KY in the fall is awesome (i.e.- co-eds, etc.)

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Darn clemson and usc! Stop sending your qb's to the big south to rape my school at ccu!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

Woof
November 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I know Furman would never let that happenxsmhx:)

xflaggedx

:pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke:

and neither would Delaware, right ?

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/1009432.html

The State newspaper article makes it clear that Willy is looking elsewhere after the end of this season and asks him about rumors that he is interested in Gardner-Webb and/or App. State. I'm certain GW's offensive scheme would be good for the style of play that he enjoyed during his numbers busting high school days and don't know enough about App's to comment intelligently.

Here's my question for discussion purposes. How do you feel about FBS players coming in to your program and taking over? Personally, I don't much care for it. You've got kids at a school who have been busting their humps for a few years and then you have a player come in who couldn't get playing time for the big boys and they push the old guys to the curb and take over. Getting past that philosophy, Stony Brook and Liberty certainly seem to use this process to their advantage in the Big South Conference. Liberty does not report their transfers on their rosters like some schools do, but, I know QB Tommy Beecher came from South Carolina and he seems to be doing well up there. Anybody got any thoughts on this subject?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs005.snc3/11244_1181392728980_1053041569_30484371_1773648_n. jpg

I have a hard time believing Korn is that desparate. No offense.

Buzzcut
November 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
EKU loves QB transfers Mr. Korn & Richmond KY in the fall is awesome (i.e.- co-eds, etc.)

Oh yeah...another FBS transfer at EKU. How original...

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
I would agree if transfers just came in and took over but for us that hasnt been case. Last year
we played transfers from Pitt, UConn, Iowa and Kansas and they contributed. This year we
have starters from Syracuse, UConn, Michigan , Maryland and Florida. We also have a a host
of very talented freshman starting or getting alot of playing time- Jordan Gush WR, Wes
Skiffington -K, Ed Mateo RB, Dominic Reyes-Safety to name a few. So it balances out pretty
well for us. Im sure next year we will see more of the same.

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM

PS nice picture of our game last Saturdayxthumbsupx

elcid83
November 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM

Well, he got beaten out by Parker for the starting role this year and everyone at Clemson believes that Taj Boyd is going to take them to the Promised Land. I can't imagine that Willy believes he is going to see significant playing time at Clemson. He's almost ready to graduate even though he still has a couple of years of eligibility left. The question for Willy will be - do you want to just get your degree or do you want to be able to play. If he wants to play, it's difficult imagining him playing in his current situation.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs025.snc3/11244_1181393048988_1053041569_30484374_3970970_n. jpg

ToTheLeft
November 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
What's a transfer? Can someone explain? We've never had one at Liberty. xwhistlex

elcid83
November 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
PS nice picture of our game last Saturdayxthumbsupx

Thanks! How about this one?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs025.snc3/11244_1181393128990_1053041569_30484375_2666446_n. jpg

kirkblitz
November 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
WOW, gwebb has some sexy uniforms :D

DG Cowboy
November 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I would prefer they all have to sit out a year - FBS to FCS and FCS to FBS. Plus no coach should be able to block a transfer anywhere.

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
What's a transfer? Can someone explain? We've never had one at Liberty. xwhistlex

How about Beecher?

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I would prefer they all have to sit out a year - FBS to FCS and FCS to FBS. Plus no coach should be able to block a transfer anywhere.

Most of them do because they had some playing time at another school. I agree
also no coach should block a transfer . If a player wants to leave coaches should
not take it personally which some of them do. Sometimes a kid just wants to be
closer to home.

Libertine
November 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
How about Beecher?

It was sarcasm.

mrklean
November 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
I saw Willie in high School, and I did not see what was so great about him then. He needed to transfer last year to Furman.

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
xflaggedx

:pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke:

and neither would Delaware, right ?

hey hey, they have God himself playing quarterback there for a couple more years.

Our Father who art in Newark Patrick Be thy name
Thy pick sixes come
no playoff games won
on turf as it is with Devlin

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
also, doesn't anybody get satisfaction from watching a home grown QB win?

Millwoch
November 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Have any of you seen this kid throw? He hardly has the arm strength to throw a screen. His shoulder is not healthy and would need lots of rest. That is hard to do when learning a new offense. I think he is a great kid and deserves a chance, but I do not see him at Appy nor FU as they both have young QBs on the roster that are already better IMO.