PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on the CAA expansion

Old Cat Fan
November 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
I found this statement by CAA commissioner with no follow up by the reporter interesing
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20091101-SPORTS-911010361

UNH football notebook: CAA expansion won't effect 'Cats short-term

Yeager said he is in ongoing dialogues with UNH athletics director Marty Scarano and Maine's Blake James, the league's two northernmost programs and arguably two of its biggest misfits when you gauge facilities (UNH) and distance (Maine).

"It remains an ongoing concern," said Yeager. "The good part is those two schools have great coaches and great teams that play in the mix very well."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So reading between the lines whats the future with UNH and Maine beyound 2012 xconfusedx

Bull Fan
November 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Facilities.... what about Northeastern? I Google Earthed it, and cannot wait to head out up in a couple weeks!

NHwildEcat
November 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
I found this statement by CAA commissioner with no follow up by the reporter interesing

UNH football notebook: CAA expansion won't effect 'Cats short-term

Yeager said he is in ongoing dialogues with UNH athletics director Marty Scarano and Maine's Blake James, the league's two northernmost programs and arguably two of its biggest misfits when you gauge facilities (UNH) and distance (Maine).

"It remains an ongoing concern," said Yeager. "The good part is those two schools have great coaches and great teams that play in the mix very well."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So reading between the lines whats the future with UNH and Maine beyound 2012 xconfusedx

Yeah it is strange that the reporter doesn't follow up on any of that...just states it and moves on. There should have been a little more to it. Let's say hypothetically UNH & Maine both leave CAA because the numbers don't make sense to both sides...what conference do you think would then make the most sense? I wouldn't think they would leave anyways...but just food for thought...

I would see the more likely scenario being the schools who don't play anything but football heading into their own conference...but you never know.

Bull Fan
November 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
A northern conference with Albany, SBU, Hofstra, UMass, NE, URI etc..... Granted you lose out on the quality teams of the CAA south to align with the weaker SUNY schools, but if it's a geographical thing there's going to be some sacrifice.

R3TRO
November 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Maybe this article will help push for better facilities at UNH.. Doubtful though.

tribe_pride
November 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
It'll be tough for a separated northern conference to include Hofstra or Northeastern since they are full-time members of the CAA.

Jackman
November 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
There was a similar article in a Maine paper recently, but Maine was effusive about how happy they are in the CAA and how they are never, ever, ever leaving. It was basically a big Valentine's Day card to the CAA. Read into that what you will.

It is also interesting that these two articles popped up at the two America East members, but there's been nothing of the sort at UMass, URI, Richmond or Villanova, the other four non-CAA members.

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
NEW YANKEE CONFERENCE?

UNH
UMass
Maine
URI
Albany
CCSU
Stony Brook
Fordham

RichH2
November 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Pretty nice mix ace, unlikely but a nice group. Everyone seems to be waiting for the shoe to drop with conference re alignment. No one admits to having the darn shoexchinscratchx

Jackman
November 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Putting on my tinfoil hat for a second, maybe there's some concern at Maine and UNH that the others are secretly conspiring against them. While there isn't any way for the CAA to kick out all of the "affiliate" members under the conference's constitution, they do have enough votes to kick out just the two America East members if the CAA turns Villanova and the A10s against them. The reason URI (and UMass) wouldn't get the same treatment is that, so long as the A10s are all under the CAA roof, there's no way to create an A10 Football Conference, which in turn would force Richmond to leave the CAA.

It'd be a dick move though, and look bad from a PR perspective, especially considering that UNH and Maine have been better members than Northeastern.

Husky Alum
November 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
It'd be a dick move though, and look bad from a PR perspective, especially considering that UNH and Maine have been better members than Northeastern.

Define "better member".

If not for Northeastern, there's no CAA football. Remember that.

Tom Yeager knows it and all of the Southern tier schools know it. There is some form of "obligation" to NU from the founding members of the CAA - how long that will last, I have no idea.

Now, our facilities bite, our funding for football is pitiful, but we're the reason there's CAA football.

Marty Scarano has no one to blame but himself when it comes to all of this. UNH could have taken an invite to the CAA when it was offered, and we wouldn't be worrying about any of this crap.

Georgia State would be playing in some other conference and wouldn't be a member of the CAA, and this all would be moot if UNH accepted a full membership bid in 2005.

Northeastern's also been a very good member of the CAA in other sports, we won the women's soccer regular season title yesterday, and have been competitive in most, if not all of the sports we compete in. Our women's soccer team actually won a game in the NCAA's last year.

Seawolf97
November 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
NEW YANKEE CONFERENCE?

UNH
UMass
Maine
URI
Albany
CCSU
Stony Brook
Fordham

There is an article on CollegeSportsInfo.Com showing this as the new CAA North but with Northeastern and Hofstra not Albany or CCSU. Somone commented also that Hofstra may consider a return to the America East

My 2 Cents-
1. A standalone football only conference is both financially and politically
a real long shot at best.
2. Expanding the CAA to 16 teams with some being just football only
Stonybrook, Albany, CCSU or Fordham another long shot.
3 Hofstra going back to the AE - not even a thought
Stranger things have happened but I see the status quo going well beyond 2012.

UNH72Plus
November 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
I've heard from a couple of sources that JMU is pondering a move to the FBS ( this year's record not withstanding). Any truth to the rumor, and if so, how does that affect changes in the CAA?

henfan
November 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
A couple of things:

1) UNH & UMaine are not affiliate members of CAA Football. They are founding members of the FB conference and own full membership, as CAA Football and the Colonial Athletic Association are separate legal entities.

2) Yeager has stated before that the FB conference at some point would like to implement facility standards. Who knows if there would be enough support conference-wide to ever pull this off, especially in tough economic times?

3) There will be no more FB only conferences in D-I, unless the members are willing to completely surrender their voting rights on NCAA governance issues at the conference level. This was the reason the Yankee Conference ceased to exist.

4) Sports writers tend to be incredibly lazy.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Define "better member".

If not for Northeastern, there's no CAA football. Remember that.

Tom Yeager knows it and all of the Southern tier schools know it. There is some form of "obligation" to NU from the founding members of the CAA - how long that will last, I have no idea.

Now, our facilities bite, our funding for football is pitiful, but we're the reason there's CAA football.

Marty Scarano has no one to blame but himself when it comes to all of this. UNH could have taken an invite to the CAA when it was offered, and we wouldn't be worrying about any of this crap.

Georgia State would be playing in some other conference and wouldn't be a member of the CAA, and this all would be moot if UNH accepted a full membership bid in 2005.

Northeastern's also been a very good member of the CAA in other sports, we won the women's soccer regular season title yesterday, and have been competitive in most, if not all of the sports we compete in. Our women's soccer team actually won a game in the NCAA's last year.

Not sure it was Marty Scarano's decision to make. In light of events out in the Southern Tier (NY), how CAA Football evolved (people thought the A-10 would step up and retain the AQ) and having the President we have today (as opposed to the Interim back then, IIRC), I wonder if UNH would make the same decision? I wish we had taken the plunge because football would have been "protected" at UNH. Haven't seen any alternative that would be nearly as good for UNH Football.

Are you sure UNH got the offer without GA State being in the league? Feedback I got was that the geographic reality of Atlanta was the final straw that killed the move for UNH. (UNH being in a league with a member from the Deep South was an impossible sell in Durham.) xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Larryl9797
November 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
NEW YANKEE CONFERENCE?

UNH
UMass
Maine
URI
Albany
CCSU
Stony Brook
Fordham

HMMMMMM...... That'd be good for BDN ....

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Maybe this article will help push for better facilities at UNH.. Doubtful though.

There have been some rumblings around Durham this season..............

The State of NH sure isn't going to be the primary backer of an enhancement project. So, maybe the CAA putting in some not so subtle prodding will get some folks off the fence and donate? Hope folks wake up before it's too late to control our own destiny!! I keep playing Powerball hoping to fund the UNH_Alum_In_CT Stadium. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
2) Yeager has stated before that the FB conference at some point would like to implement facility standards. Who knows if there would be enough support conference-wide to ever pull this off, especially in tough economic times?

If the CAA insists on facility upgrades, N'Eastern and Hofstra are gone to the Patriot League in the blink of an eyelash, A-10 football reappears (with at least Fordham and 2 AE affiliates, and possibly Richmond), and the CAA's unwieldly divisional alignment is gone. That's why that would never, ever happen. It would be the beginning of the end of the 12, 14, 16, 18 team CAA.

If Northeastern and/or Hofstra leave to seek another conference, there's little stopping either the A-10 (or - much less likely - the AE) to sponsor this northern conference, and nothing to keep the CAA's name on it. After all, it would all be only A-10/AE affiliates up there (save Georgia State xrolleyesx ) who obviously are not happy about adding another flight to worry about for their football programs.

4) Sports writers tend to be incredibly lazy.

No comment. :)

Dane96
November 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Though your scenario ends with Hofstra not leaving, why would a facility limit cause Hofstra to leave? Their facility is fine...and seats 15,000.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/pics10/0/EB/EBZYGRXXUHMXGIR.20090415142614.jpg

JMUNJ08
November 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
If the CAA insists on facility upgrades, N'Eastern and Hofstra are gone to the Patriot League in the blink of an eyelash, A-10 football reappears (with at least Fordham and 2 AE affiliates, and possibly Richmond), and the CAA's unwieldly divisional alignment is gone. That's why that would never, ever happen. It would be the beginning of the end of the 12, 14, 16, 18 team CAA.

If Northeastern and/or Hofstra leave to seek another conference, there's little stopping either the A-10 (or - much less likely - the AE) to sponsor this northern conference, and nothing to keep the CAA's name on it. After all, it would all be only A-10/AE affiliates up there (save Georgia State xrolleyesx ) who obviously are not happy about adding another flight to worry about for their football programs.

No comment. :)

Have you been to Hofstra's stadium? It isn't bad about 13K just need fannies in the seats.

bostonspider
November 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Why does everyone have Richmond jumping to another conference?? Unless the big southern teams (JMU, UD, maybe ODU in the future) make a jump to FBS, Richmond is very happy in the CAA Football Conference. They have no plans on going anywhere. The A10 is welcome to start a football conference, but I am quite sure UR will not be joining it. Do not forget that there were 3 A10 teams playing FCS football in conferences other than the A10 before it transformed into the CAA (Fordham, Dayton, Duquesne)

Redwyn
November 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
There is an article on CollegeSportsInfo.Com showing this as the new CAA North but with Northeastern and Hofstra not Albany or CCSU. Somone commented also that Hofstra may consider a return to the America East

My 2 Cents-

I have to agree. I really believe that the only prompted changed will occur to fill in space left when programs choose to make the FBS jump after the moratorium.

CollegeSportsInfo
November 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM

My 2 Cents-

It was meant just as an option IF these were ever a split of the affiliate members. Hofstra and Northeastern would have to remain with the CAA football schools in this scenario. Very different than a CAA North DIVISION, in which Georgia St. will be part of in 2012.

Jackman
November 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Why does everyone have Richmond jumping to another conference?? Unless the big southern teams (JMU, UD, maybe ODU in the future) make a jump to FBS, Richmond is very happy in the CAA Football Conference. They have no plans on going anywhere. The A10 is welcome to start a football conference, but I am quite sure UR will not be joining it. Do not forget that there were 3 A10 teams playing FCS football in conferences other than the A10 before it transformed into the CAA (Fordham, Dayton, Duquesne)

The issue is that if the A10 sponsored full scholarship football, Richmond would be required to play in the A10. The only way out of the requirement would be for Richmond to play at a lower scholarship level. That's why Dayton, Fordham and Duquesne weren't in the A10 for football, and why Davidson isn't in the SoCon for football.

The easiest way for Richmond to avoid this is to keep UMass and URI committed to the CAA. With Fordham and Charlotte likely to be seeking conference affiliations soon, there's a good chance of A10 Football reaching critical mass if UMass and URI are interested. One thing that would help would be not siding against us on the realignment issue. xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
The issue is that if the A10 sponsored full scholarship football, Richmond would be required to play in the A10. The only way out of the requirement would be for Richmond to play at a lower scholarship level. That's why Dayton, Fordham and Duquesne weren't in the A10 for football, and why Davidson isn't in the SoCon for football.

The easiest way for Richmond to avoid this is to keep UMass and URI committed to the CAA. With Fordham and Charlotte likely to be seeking conference affiliations soon, there's a good chance of A10 Football reaching critical mass if UMass and URI are interested. One thing that would help would be not siding against us on the realignment issue. xnodx

Not only that, if the A-10 did decide to break away and sponsor football, they'd need Richmond to satisfy the requirements for an AQ. Fordham (or Albany, CCSU or anyone else I've misses) wouldn't give them that.

Interesting observation, though - Richmond aligning with UMass and URI to keep things together. I didn't think of that.

bostonspider
November 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
As the conference would not include all A10 teams, I am quite sure UR could just say no thank you. Do you really think the basketball schools (GW, XU, St.J's, TU, St.B's, UD, DU, SLU, LU) of the A10 will vote the Spiders out of the conference for not wanting to join this new A10 football league? There are currently 3 teams that play full scholarship FCS football in the A10, if one of the three does not want to found a new A10 league, then it is just not happening. Fordham might be interested, but Charlotte is not going to want to have anything to do with a N.E. based football league. Face it, it is just not happening.

MacThor
November 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I never really "got" the move to the A-10 for Richmond. The CAA is a great fit for all of our scholarship sports, and travel costs would be greatly reduced. It's not as if being in the CAA prohibited UR from getting Marquee ACC teams in the Robins Center.

ur2k
November 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Its a large and cumbersome conference but the alternatives posted don't seem to make much sense for the current and future CAA members to break away from one another.

Maybe we can have an A & B division with promotion and relegation like European soccer leagues do? xlolx

ur2k
November 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I never really "got" the move to the A-10 for Richmond. The CAA is a great fit for all of our scholarship sports, and travel costs would be greatly reduced. It's not as if being in the CAA prohibited UR from getting Marquee ACC teams in the Robins Center.

You can see the reason for our move by our at-large bid to the 2004 NCAA basketball tourney. We'll be going for another one this year.

henfan
November 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Though your scenario ends with Hofstra not leaving, why would a facility limit cause Hofstra to leave? Their facility is fine...and seats 15,000.

Exactly. That's a completely ridiculous comment. HU has one of the best facilities in the CAA. Yet again, people are reading way too much into this and extrapolating more wild 'what if' scenarios. Sheesh.

Yes, the CAA FB league has publicly expressed some limited interest in implementing facility standards for its member schools. It's unclear what those standards would entail, how rigid or what enforcement would be or even if there's enough support across member institutions to formulate an official policy. Those with 'sub-standard' facilities would have an active & equal voice in formulating the policy. It would be hard to imagine them lobbying and ultimately voting against their own best interests.xchinscratchx

Uncle Buck
November 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Have you been to Hofstra's stadium? It isn't bad about 13K just need fannies in the seats.

Yeah, but this fanny was there for the 24-17 spring game win for us over the Dukes xazzx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM

Man that's one great facility....

.... for Lacrosse!

xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Exactly. That's a completely ridiculous comment. HU has one of the best facilities in the CAA.

Above who? JMU? Delaware? Richmond's new stadium? Zable stadium? Starting in 2011, ODU? UMass' McGuirk stadium? xconfusedx

henfan
November 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Above who? JMU? Delaware? Richmond's new stadium? Zable stadium? Starting in 2011, ODU? UMass' McGuirk stadium? xconfusedx

Now I know you're just putting us on, LFN. xnutsx

HU has a better football stadium than UMaine, UNH, URI, NU, and VU. It's arguably as good as, if not better than, W&M (certainly bigger &, for my money, better sightlines than Zable.) Nice though it's bound to be, I don't see anything in UR's renderings that show a bigger or better facility than Shuart Stadium.

So, yes, aside from UD, UMass & JMU, HU has one of the best FB stadiums in the conference. HU would be one of the last in the conference to have to worry about meeting more rigid stadium specs, unless the CAA is going to join the BCS or AFC East.xrotatehx

http://www.hofstra.edu/images/sports_ath_shuartstadiumnew.jpg

Jackman
November 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
As the conference would not include all A10 teams, I am quite sure UR could just say no thank you. Do you really think the basketball schools (GW, XU, St.J's, TU, St.B's, UD, DU, SLU, LU) of the A10 will vote the Spiders out of the conference for not wanting to join this new A10 football league? There are currently 3 teams that play full scholarship FCS football in the A10, if one of the three does not want to found a new A10 league, then it is just not happening. Fordham might be interested, but Charlotte is not going to want to have anything to do with a N.E. based football league. Face it, it is just not happening.

They don't have to do any voting against Richmond though. It's simply not permitted, unless you drop to non-scholly. I suppose Richmond could threaten to leave the A10 if they ever approve a football league, but they'd have 4 other A10 members threatening the A10 if they don't approve it. Fordham and Charlotte could conceivably be stuck with independent status in the future, which has a crippling effect on scheduling and financials. They wouldn't be able to afford to be considerate to Richmond's preferences in that scenario.

I don't actually want an A10 league, I'm just pointing out that this is a potential issue. Who knows which side would win that battle and what the ultimate consequences would be. It's in all of our best interests not to fight that war in the first place. What we have now works great, so long as this Georgia State business is resolved agreeably. Richmond risks losing this affiliation with the other Virginians in football if they help provoke a split. It's in their best interests to promote conference unity. I think it's a mistake to treat this solely as a North vs. South issue.

Uncle Buck
November 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Now I know you're just putting us on, LFN. xnutsx

HU has a better football stadium than UMaine, UNH, URI, NU, and VU. It's arguably as good as, if not better than, W&M (certainly bigger &, for my money, better sightlines than Zable.) Nice though it's bound to be, I don't see anything in UR's renderings that show a bigger or better facility than Shuart Stadium.

So, yes, aside from UD, UMass & JMU, HU has one of the best FB stadiums in the conference. HU would be one of the last in the conference to have to worry about meeting more rigid stadium specs, unless the CAA is going to join the BCS or AFC East.xrotatehx

Yeah! What he said! xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM

Would it really be as easy as you say to go to A-10 basketball and say "no, thank you"? I'd think it would be a hell of a lot easier to say no to "CAA Football" than the A-10. The risk of Richmond of annoying the CAA is a hell of a lot less than the risk of alienating the A-10 in all other sports, including mens basketball.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM

Hofstra has a nice ballpark - what the hell does the CAA want, Yankee Stadium?

Seawolf97
November 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hofstra's stadium is ok by me. Watched both football and lacrosse and no problems it is a good FCS and D1 venue. Just have to improve getting out of the parking lots after the game:)

bostonspider
November 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Would it really be as easy as you say to go to A-10 basketball and say "no, thank you"? I'd think it would be a hell of a lot easier to say no to "CAA Football" than the A-10. The risk of Richmond of annoying the CAA is a hell of a lot less than the risk of alienating the A-10 in all other sports, including mens basketball.

You make it sound like the rest of the A10 (not UMass, URI, Fordham, and MAYBE Charlotte) could give a whit about A10 football. I guarantee you that Xavier and Dayton (and GW, SLU, DU, LaSalle, St. Joe's, the Bonnie, and Temple) could not care less about what football conference Richmond plays in. Charlotte, if they actually start football, will be like GaSt. only be passing through FCS. Richmond for football at least will be staying with their southern brethren. As for the rest of our conference affiliation, for now the Spiders seem pretty happy with the A10, but we will see what happens if / when the Big East breaks up.

Jackman
November 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hofstra has a nice ballpark - what the hell does the CAA want, Yankee Stadium?

Nobody is talking about Hofstra except LFN. The CAA is obviously talking about Northeastern (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r1pmkx926fcp&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=1220631&encType=1) and New Hampshire (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r5ptgb92nk8h&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=13805922&encType=1), followed a distant third by Rhode Island (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qxf5jw914wsv&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=35530729&encType=1), which gave up halfway through.

Problem is they can push Northeastern all they want, but nothing's going to happen. They can't do anything.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Just to bring this back, here's the original article:

"Nobody's thinks 14 is a good number," admitted Yeager, on hand at Cowell Stadium to take in UNH's 48-21 win over Northeastern Saturday. "But, by the same token, there's a lot of benefit and commitment to making it work, as opposed to blowing it up and trying to do something else."

Long-term, staying in the larger-footprint CAA means making it work against more schools that are different, from enrollment to facilities to geography, all of them chasing the same annual bids to the Division I playoffs with disparate budgets.

This sort-of led to a discussion of other CAA "misfits," i.e. affiliates, facilities, etc. Somewhere along the line henfan floated that Yeager intimated at one time that facilities upgrades might become a requirement to stay in the CAA, to which I said:

The target of the comment was more directed at Northeastern, but I happen to believe that it also includes Hofstra, despite the fact that FCS fans seem to be crawling out of the woodwork to retroactively declare Shuart Stadium a temple of football on par with Bridgeforth, Zable, Tubby Raymond Field, ODU's newly renovated stadium, UR's new stadium next year, and the like. I've been there; I don't agree.

I rehash this because folks seem to think that Hofstra is entirely pleased with being in the CAA in all sports. My impression is otherwise.

If Northeastern is pushed, they're likely to bolt to a conference (the NEC or Patriot) where they won't have to deal with it. And if Hofstra gets an offer to join the A-10, what happens? The North gets untethered from their CAA all-sports members. That's why I think the talk about facilities has to be overblown. If Yeager is serious about keeping the 14 together, how could he be throwing ultimatums around like "improve your facilities"?

CollegeSportsInfo
November 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM

It's because basketball is a source of revenue for schools. And Richmond is making more money in the A10. They've also gotten more at-large NCAA bids since joining the A10 than the entire CAA historically.

We often forget on this forum that football is a sport we love to watch and follow out teams. But the majority of us do not make money sponsoring the sport, especially at our FCS level. Basketball allows schools to make money to actually sponsor the money draining sports (especially the ones that Title IX forces us to sponsor).

seattlespider
November 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Nobody is talking about Hofstra except LFN. The CAA is obviously talking about Northeastern (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r1pmkx926fcp&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=1220631&encType=1) and New Hampshire (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r5ptgb92nk8h&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=13805922&encType=1), followed a distant third by Rhode Island (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qxf5jw914wsv&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=35530729&encType=1), which gave up halfway through.

Problem is they can push Northeastern all they want, but nothing's going to happen. They can't do anything.

Wow, never had a real look at Northeastern's stadium. That is a tough situation. And I agree about Hofstra. That's a very nice looking stadium.

Husky Alum
November 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, never had a real look at Northeastern's stadium. That is a tough situation. And I agree about Hofstra. That's a very nice looking stadium.

Stadium?

What the hell is a Stadium?

We've got a glorified junior high field.

blur2005
November 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
The structure of the conference can be solved, to some degree, by adding a 15th team, creating three divisions of five teams. I know it would be cumbersome but considering the other alternatives, that seems to be the most reasonable method of preserving the CAA.

On the other hand, if Georgia State is really just passing through (I know that's the school's likely goal but nothing in life is certain), adding a 15th team may just make things more difficult once the Panthers move on. The best case scenario in my mind would be to have someone drop football about the same time Georgia State moves up. Now which team that would be is uncertain but I could see URI dropping it. I don't see Northeastern doing so because, as has been stated, they are considered decent in all things except football when it comes to the CAA, though based on facilities you'd think the Huskies were the odds-on favorite. But I figure that program will struggle on rather than give the sport up.

Jackman
November 2nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
The thing is though, even if Georgia State quickly moved on, we'd want to add a 14th member to replace them. 13 members is a big scheduling headache. The MAC hates it, and their commissioner has said they either want a 14th member or Temple to leave. So a 15th member doesn't really hurt us there. The issue is if we lose 2 members, for example GSU and Northeastern. Then we'd be regretting inviting that 15th member when we could have gotten back down to 12.

The CAA doesn't need 15 members to do 3 divisions though. Just do it 5-4-5, and have the middle division play 1 extra interdivision game. Being in the middle, it's a shorter trip for everyone anyway. You wouldn't want the North or South to be the 4 member division.

ur2k
November 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
It's because basketball is a source of revenue for schools. And Richmond is making more money in the A10. They've also gotten more at-large NCAA bids since joining the A10 than the entire CAA historically.

We often forget on this forum that football is a sport we love to watch and follow out teams. But the majority of us do not make money sponsoring the sport, especially at our FCS level. Basketball allows schools to make money to actually sponsor the money draining sports (especially the ones that Title IX forces us to sponsor).

That's technically not true. The CAA has gotten at least 2 in the last 5 years and at least one in the 80s. We've only gotten one (2004) since joining the A10. But being in the A10 puts us in the conversation should we deserve a bid - something that's tough to do in the CAA.

Go...gate
November 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I cannot see Hofstra changing conferences. The NEC may be the beneficiary of the monetary limitations at URI. I do think that if Northeastern has to change conferences it may very well be the Patriot, because there would be no pressure on them to change Parsons Field.

What condition is Parsons Field in? Is it falling apart?

henfan
November 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
LFN, it's complete hyperbole to say that anyone called Shuart a "temple of football". Even still it remains one of the best FB facilities in the CAA.

You've offered no evidence that the CAA is unhappy with Shuart, nor have you indicated how it doesn't measure up. I'm sure the conference would be delighted if every CAA facility had new generation surfaces, no track around the fields, at least 15K seats, modern press boxes, ample parking, on campus location, welcoming tailgating scene, etc.

You apparently have several opinions about HU but none of them grounded in reality. HU is a school that had long searched for a conference to house all of their sports programs. They finally found that in the CAA. Until another better choice comes along (i.e.- a more competitive mid-major conference with FB & strong hoops & LAX), HU is not likely to go anywhere and especially to the weaker Patriot League. You'll have to give up that ghost.

It's no secret that the CAA would like for NU to upgrade their facilities. Heck, NU would like nothing more than to do that. It's not an easy nut to crack, given the circumstances. Contrary to your implication, I've not heard or read that this is such a critical issue that the CAA has pushed NU away. In fact, the conference seems patient in working with NU. (Husky Alum, what's the status of the White Stadium proposal?)

Husky Alum
November 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
It's no secret that the CAA would like for NU to upgrade their facilities. Heck, NU would like nothing more than to do that. It's not an easy nut to crack, given the circumstances. Contrary to your implication, I've not heard or read that this is such a critical issue that the CAA has pushed NU away. In fact, the conference seems patient in working with NU. (Husky Alum, what's the status of the White Stadium proposal?)

There's ZERO popular support for White Stadium, other than that from the football loyalists and our Athletic Director - who sees it as part of his master sociology plan.

There's a Mayoral election in Boston today, and if Mayor Menino is appointed again, he's got 4 more years.

Our President (Joseph Aoun) has the best relationships than any NU President has ever had with the Mayor's office, so White Stadium may be forced upon us, as we need the Mayor's support to build more dorms, classrooms and research facilities on land we already own.

Current thinking is that we'll do a "quid pro quo" with Menino where he helps us get approval from the City Council to approve our next Master Plan (including the dorms, classrooms, research facilities) and we'd commit to White Stadium (which I think is a terrible idea).

However....

I may be tilting at windmills, but I'm holding out hope for the Kraft/Revolution plans to happen. I may be naive, but if Bob Kraft wanted to build a stadium for the Revs in the suburbs - he'd have done it. Part of me thinks that once the Mayor is elected, and he needs to make a bang for the city, he and Kraft may kiss and make up, and we all know NU will be a part of any Revs stadium in Boston.

The CAA is very patient with NU. There's no doubt. We're actually doing more than hold our own in sports not played on the gridiron.

Dane96
November 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I think Menino will lose...which would be VERY GOOD for Northeastern, the New England Revolution and local high school sports.

I can absolutely see Flaharty trying to inject some business and jobs in the site over by the Reggie Lewis Center.

At least I hope Mayor Mumbles loses...I will be voting today in the Mayoral election for the first time since I moved here. Time to get the dope out!

henfan
November 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update & civics lesson, gents.

I suppose I should be rooting against Menino then. Go other guy! Whatever helps NU.xthumbsupx

MacThor
November 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
That's technically not true. The CAA has gotten at least 2 in the last 5 years and at least one in the 80s. We've only gotten one (2004) since joining the A10. But being in the A10 puts us in the conversation should we deserve a bid - something that's tough to do in the CAA.

That's what I thought. We got one at-large bid since we moved (and then promptly blew a 15-point second half lead at Wisconsin).

Last year there were prominent national sportswriters clamoring from a third CAA team in the big dance. With GMU's final four and VCU's recent success, I'd expect the CAA to be in the mix for at-large consideration in the future.

Is men's basketball really making more money in the A-10? The Robins Center would be packed during the Tarrant and Beilein eras -- now there are plenty of empty seats, even for big conference games.

bostonspider
November 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
MacThor, the RC was definitely not packed during the Dooley years. I think the attendance had more to do with winning. So if the Spiders get back to that, then attendance will rise. Though, many of our traditional fans in metro Richmond are getting older, and their alumni replacements are not often staying in town. This is a continual problem for both basketball and football. Now the CAA has gotten 3 at-large bids in their history, (one being UR in 1986). The A10 has averaged over 2 at-larges bids (3 total bids) a year for the last 15 years.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM

I've implied nothing. I've simply read your own words on the situation. So which is correct? Yeager's going to "implement facility standards" (which will either force NU to upgrade or go elsewhere)? Or that "this is not a critical issue"? Seems like what you're saying has shifted.

Certainly Yeager and the CAA has worked with NU. They have to. Without NU, there would never have been "CAA football" the way it looks today once the CAA took ownership from the A-10. And if they don't continue to keep that relationship alive, there's not nearly as much holding the "CAA Football" North division together.

My only point is that if facilities push NU out of the league, is Hofstra going to lobby hard to stay a part of "CAA Football"? If they stay in the CAA, probably. But are they going to push to stay? I'm not so sure.

The CAA is not unhappy with Shuart Stadium - they can't be. They need Hofstra to keep the CAA North intact. The question is: is Hofstra's athletic department happy with the CAA? That's undetermined. (There are some pretty vocal fans clamoring for a change, but I have no idea if the HU athletic department shares their feelings.)

Shuart Stadium is a nice stadium, better than NU's facilities, but not better than UD's, JMU's, and a host of others. Does it demonstrate that HU is foursquare behind "CAA football", or the CAA? I don't think that's conclusive at all.

Looming in the background of all this is the breakup of the Big East, which has been talked about seemingly forever but hasn't happened yet. If the A-10, as expected, is raided for schools, Hofstra seems like a likely candidate to replace one of them - and most certainly would be a dream situation for a lot of their fans. And that complicates football further, to say the least.

If Yeager is trying everything to keep the CAA North intact, the words "facility upgrades" should never leave his lips. It's hard enough to get CAA North members to swallow the fact that they'll be playing Georgia State every year.

MacThor
November 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
MacThor, the RC was definitely not packed during the Dooley years. I think the attendance had more to do with winning. So if the Spiders get back to that, then attendance will rise. Though, many of our traditional fans in metro Richmond are getting older, and their alumni replacements are not often staying in town. This is a continual problem for both basketball and football. Now the CAA has gotten 3 at-large bids in their history, (one being UR in 1986). The A10 has averaged over 2 at-larges bids (3 total bids) a year for the last 15 years.

I'll grant you that. Besides, watching Wainwright's recruits try to play Mooney-ball was a less interesting way to spend your evening than watching C-Span (and kind of like watching "Wipeout" contestants try to compete on "Jeopardy.")

Sorry to derail the thread.

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
If Yeager is trying everything to keep the CAA North intact, the words "facility upgrades" should never leave his lips. It's hard enough to get CAA North members to swallow the fact that they'll be playing Georgia State every year.

Where is this thing that CAA North teams will be playing GSU every year? The only thing that came out was an idea that GSU would be a division unto themselves, and that they would play 4 CAA South and 4 CAA North teams each year. That means that every team (North and South) would play GSU 4 out of 6 years, and having to travel to Atlanta once every 3 years.

henfan
November 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've implied nothing. I've simply read your own words on the situation. So which is correct? Yeager's going to "implement facility standards" (which will either force NU to upgrade or go elsewhere)? Or that "this is not a critical issue"? Seems like what you're saying has shifted.

LFN, well, you did indeed write "If the CAA pushes NU...", suggesting that this notion was somehow even remotely feasible. As far as I’ve heard & read, there’s no time limit or mandate or even expectation on when any FB facility upgrades would happen, certainly nothing from the CAA’s side.

I didn’t previously write that Yeager was going to implement facility standards. What I actually wrote was” “Yeager has stated before that the FB conference at some point would like to implement facility standards. Who knows if there would be enough support conference-wide to ever pull this off, especially in tough economic times?” Whether the conference has the collective will to implement any standards, let alone unattainably high standards, is doubtful, IMO.

Regarding HU, no, the excellent quality of Shuart isn’t any indication of the direction HU is headed. But I never said it was, as that stadium was constructed long before HU joined the A-10. What I did say was that Shuart remains one of the best facilities in the CAA and that, contrary to your comments, the conference has expressed no concerns about HU needing to make any upgrades. Why would they? That was purely an invention of your mind.

henfan
November 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
GF, while GSU will be placed in the North Division, they won't be playing every team in the North every year. You're right, GSU will play teams in both the North & South 4 out of every 6 years.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
LFN, well, you did indeed write "If the CAA pushes NU...", suggesting that this notion was somehow even remotely feasible. As far as I’ve heard & read, there’s no time limit or mandate or even expectation on when any FB facility upgrades would happen, certainly nothing from the CAA’s side.

I didn’t previously write that Yeager was going to implement facility standards. What I actually wrote was” “Yeager has stated before that the FB conference at some point would like to implement facility standards. Who knows if there would be enough support conference-wide to ever pull this off, especially in tough economic times?” Whether the conference has the collective will to implement any standards, let alone unattainably high standards, is doubtful, IMO.

So you're trying to spin this as " Yeager said it, but who knows if the conference has the will to do it? - as if the commissioner's own words have no weight. You honestly don't believe that the mere act of him saying that would have the effect of a the very least NU (and, if you believe the article on Page One of this thread, UNH and Maine) looking at their options?

If nothing else all the pages here show that there IS a concern that this might happen - certainly for NU, but also for UNH and Maine. It may not be a concern for HU - you and I disagree on that, fine - but trying to pass off the commish's words as weightless is just bizarre.

But don't take my word for it...

Putting on my tinfoil hat for a second, maybe there's some concern at Maine and UNH that the others are secretly conspiring against them. While there isn't any way for the CAA to kick out all of the "affiliate" members under the conference's constitution, they do have enough votes to kick out just the two America East members if the CAA turns Villanova and the A10s against them. The reason URI (and UMass) wouldn't get the same treatment is that, so long as the A10s are all under the CAA roof, there's no way to create an A10 Football Conference, which in turn would force Richmond to leave the CAA.

Wouldn't facilities be a part of this "conspiracy", then, if true? I mean, they need a reason to eject a five-year playoff participant. I'm not saying that I believe in this conspiracy theory, but isn't facilities a part of this?

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Just a couple of thoughts:

Hofstra stadium is fine and even in the shadow of all of the newly renovated places, the facility is still towards the top end if the league IMO. No worries about a facility clause. I will add that they don't have a video board, maybe that can be the facilities upgrade that will get us booted.

Also, the chatter about the A-10 and Hofstra leaving all comes from the hoops contingent and is not reflective of the entire Hofstra community. The A-10 won't take us and I just don't see us ditching the CAA just to appease the basketball program.

Hofstra is an all sports member of the CAA and i don't see that changing any time soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Just a couple of thoughts:

Hofstra stadium is fine and even in the shadow of all of the newly renovated places, the facility is still towards the top end if the league IMO. No worries about a facility clause.

Also, the chatter about the A-10 and Hofstra leaving all comes from the hoops contingent and is not reflective of the entire Hofstra community. The A-10 won't take us and I just don't see us ditching the CAA just to appease the basketball program.

Hofstra is an all sports member of the CAA and i don't see that changing any time soon.

I appreciate you weighing in, UB. I agree that it's all contingent on the A-10's interest in Hofstra basketball, or not.

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I just don't see Hofstra selling out for hoops. We play a schedule that is usually designed for 20 wins and there are too many other sports that have benefited from the CAA banner. In the end, i don't see the A-10 offering us either.

ur2k
November 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
I appreciate you weighing in, UB. I agree that it's all contingent on the A-10's interest in Hofstra basketball, or not.

a10 basketball has 14 teams - I seriously doubt there's any interest in adding new members.

bostonspider
November 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
ur2k, I think this would all be contingent on the blow up of the Big East and the raiding of the A10...

henfan
November 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
LFN, you might try reading the words that are written, especially in the articles titled "Evolving CAA a Good Fit for Maine Grid Program..." and "CAA Expansion Won't Effect Cats Short-Term". Nowhere has Yeager said that a school's membership was imminently threatened due to the quality of their facilities. Nowhere has he said that the league would be implementing a policy tying membership to facility requirements.

Lord help you if you think that message board blathering & speculation are portents or signals of anything other than the participants' ability to pull opinions out of our behinds.xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
LFN, you might try reading the words that are written, especially in the articles titled "Evolving CAA a Good Fit for Maine Grid Program..." and "CAA Expansion Won't Effect Cats Short-Term". Nowhere has Yeager said that a school's membership was imminently threatened due to the quality of their facilities. Nowhere has he said that the league would be implementing a policy tying membership to facility requirements.

Lord help you if you think that message board blathering & speculation are portents or signals of anything other than the participants' ability to pull opinions out of our behinds.xnodx

xconfusedx

So you're discrediting your own speculation, I guess?

And - funny you should mention - facilities standards are brought up in "CAA Expansion Won't Affect Wildcats Short-Term":

So that means your speculation is probably right on. Unless you're backing away from that. I'm xconfusedx

CollegeSportsInfo
November 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
There is no reason for the CAA to implement any facility standards unless we're talking about an upgrade to FBS. If a school is willing to eat the money each year for the number of football scholarships, let them be.

henfan
November 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm xconfusedx

LFN, it was obvious from the beginning that you're very confused. I'd recommend reading the words that are written and ignoring those voices in your head.

From the article in question:

But long-term, staying in the larger-footprint CAA means making it work against more schools that are different, from enrollment to facilities to geography, all of them chasing the same annual bids to the Division I playoffs with disparate budgets.

Yes, this article was very poorly researched and written, but where did you even get the hint from these words that the CAA will be implementing facility standards for its members? Nowhere is the term 'facility standards' even implied.

Now- and this is where you're confusion comes in- I've written that Yeager told our UD FB group at a 2007 meeting that the CAA has discussed the possibility of instituting facility standards for league members. He did not say that the league would or could pull it off; just that it was something they've considered. This league has considered a lot of membership issues over the years (including scholarship cuts); most of which never come to fruition. Since Yeager made that statement 2 years ago, it's pretty safe to assume that there just hasn't been enough support for that idea.

But back to the UNH article. Reading the words written, what remains an "ongoing concern" for UNH and UMaine is "staying in the larger-footprint CAA... making it work against more schools that are different, from enrollment to facilities to geography, all of them chasing the same annual bids to the Division I playoffs with disparate budgets." Scarano & James have both expressed these concerns before. Nothing new here. UNH and UMaine are concerned about how they'll continue to stack up competitively against larger, better funded new programs like GSU & ODU, which are further away geographically. Nowhere does it suggest that the conference has any specific issues with UNH or UMaine. To the contrary, Yeager is quoted as saying that "those two schools... play in the mix very well." This is the reason for "ongoing dialogues." The conference appears very much to want its founding members to remain part of the league, which is why they continue to work with the schools on issues that concern them. That's a good thing.

Too bad the PL didn't practice the same sort of concern with Fordham & Towson. Now there's a football conference with serious membership issues.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Now- and this is where you're confusion comes in- I've written that Yeager told our UD FB group at a 2007 meeting that the CAA has discussed the possibility of instituting facility standards for league members. He did not say that the league would or could pull it off; just that it was something they've considered. This league has considered a lot of membership issues over the years (including scholarship cuts); most of which never come to fruition. Since Yeager made that statement 2 years ago, it's pretty safe to assume that there just hasn't been enough support for that idea.

OK, so now we're back on the idea that "Yeager's opinion is as good mine" - that Yeager's talk about this carries no weight, as if his original proposal on facilities is now meaningless. He said it then; and there's no reason to believe that he's changed his mind since then, certainly no public statement. (As a matter of fact, it's an "ongoing concern".)

And call me crazy but I don't think Yeager considered scholarship cuts. Maybe Linda Bruno or the former A-10 person did, but not Yeager. That is a huge difference.

It's really funny how you, and other CAA people, put absolutely no stock in what the commissioner says. Must be a leftover from the Bruno era xlolx

Dane96
November 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
xpopcornx

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
xpopcornx
xpopcornx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
xpopcornx

xpopcornx

xpopcornx

GannonFan
November 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
OK, so now we're back on the idea that "Yeager's opinion is as good mine" - that Yeager's talk about this carries no weight, as if his original proposal on facilities is now meaningless. He said it then; and there's no reason to believe that he's changed his mind since then, certainly no public statement. (As a matter of fact, it's an "ongoing concern".)

And call me crazy but I don't think Yeager considered scholarship cuts. Maybe Linda Bruno or the former A-10 person did, but not Yeager. That is a huge difference.

It's really funny how you, and other CAA people, put absolutely no stock in what the commissioner says. Must be a leftover from the Bruno era xlolx

Seriously, you're loopy on this subject. Yeager said that UNH's facilities are an ongoing concern, but where did he ever say that there would be minimum facility requirements or that teams would be in danger of being ejected from the CAA due to their facilities? Yeager has said so very little on this subject, especially compared to the volumes you have speculated on regarding this. UNH and Maine aren't going anywhere, they don't want to leave and the CAA doesn't want them to leave, and the CAA isn't about to break up. Bummer, huh? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Seriously, you're loopy on this subject. Yeager said that UNH's facilities are an ongoing concern, but where did he ever say that there would be minimum facility requirements or that teams would be in danger of being ejected from the CAA due to their facilities?

Now- and this is where you're confusion comes in- I've written that Yeager told our UD FB group at a 2007 meeting that the CAA has discussed the possibility of instituting facility standards for league members. He did not say that the league would or could pull it off; just that it was something they've considered.

Reading is fundamental.

89Hen
November 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
The only funny thing is your anti-CAA agenda you've pushed for years here.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Reading is fundamental.

And extrapolating on your part, to a hyperbolistic extent, is fundamental to your posts regarding the CAA. xthumbsupx

Dane96
November 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
The only funny thing is your anti-CAA agenda you've pushed for years here.

Hey...he is equal opportunist xthumbsupx; I remember many years hearing an anti-NEC agenda...but I will admit the tune changed when we starting winning games.xrulesx

Now back to my xpopcornx

JMUNJ08
November 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM
xpopcornx
Hey...he is equal opportunist xthumbsupx; I remember many years hearing an anti-NEC agenda...but I will admit the tune changed when we starting winning games.xrulesx

Now back to my xpopcornx

89Hen
November 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Not sure why that would stop him. The CAA has been beating up the PL for a long time, yet he still loves to take shots at the CAA every chance he gets.

aceinthehole
November 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Not sure why that would stop him. The CAA has been beating up the PL for a long time, yet he still loves to take shots at the CAA every chance he gets.

It hasn't stopped him much. He throws us a few bones here and there when PL teams lose head-to-head to NEC teams. But the message is still clear from his perspective, the PL has some leg up on the NEC. Now most informed readers know this just isn't true, but its the same old tune he sings often enough.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hey...he is equal opportunist xthumbsupx; I remember many years hearing an anti-NEC agenda...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/17/the-csn-way-the-completely-awesome-assoc?blog=5

Like it or not, the CAA’s awesome performance has grabbed the attention of the wider world of FCS football this year. And the CAA deserves the accolades they’ve gotten - they’re a stacked conference in 2009. And while it hasn’t exactly been a secret that their conference is one of the best in FCS, their success is making people stand up and take notice how awesome they’ve become.

xlolx Also, if you want to see my "anti-NEC" agenda, just look at my NEC previews the last three years, the mentions of them in my national column, etc., etc. etc. xlolx

Jackman
November 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM

It was not Yeager's idea, but his job is to implement the changes the conference members want, not dictate to them what he wants. Rhode Island definitely wanted a cut to the maximum number of allowable scholarships, and I'm sure at least a couple others would have gone along with it so long as everyone in the conference agreed to operate at the same level. The majority obviously decided that it was not in their best interests, since no change was made.

Likewise, the facilities discussion was almost certainly a member-generated idea. James Madison has gone public with their dissatisfaction with the level of Northeastern's facilities. But neither Yeager nor any other commissioner is going to call up Northeastern and tell them they have to spend $50 million on their stadium unless he's got the backing of the majority of the conference's members. Not if he wants to keep his job. Northeastern will be squeezed out of CAA Football if and when 75% of the other members want to squeeze them out. It doesn't matter what Yeager wants. Yeager may be the director of the film, but the actors are also the executive producers.

With Menino being successfully re-elected last night, I think that between the White Stadium proposal, NU's head coach's contract expiring, the Patriot League decision on scholarships and the addition of ODU to the CAA, we'll know Northeastern's fate by the end of next season. Everything is converging on the end of 2010.

henfan
November 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM

And call me crazy but I don't think Yeager considered scholarship cuts. Maybe Linda Bruno or the former A-10 person did, but not Yeager.

LFN, like any conference commish, Tom Yeager exists to implement the will of his constituents and to be an advocate for the collective. He doesn't dictate conference policy, though it is his office's responsiblity to assure that all are adhering to conference regs.

The message Tom relayed when speaking with the UD FB group in '07 was an idea put forth presumably by some of his members; he didn't present it as a plan and certainly not his plan. Yeager did not suggest that this was something that would ever be implemented or that it even had popular support; just that it was something that had been discussed among membership.

And, no, as if it matters, I did not write that Tom Yeager was the commish when scholarship cuts were considered. (Where did you get that from?) What I wrote was that the league (the CAA/A-10/YankCon collective) has considered a lot of membership issues over the years, among them scholarship cuts. The notion here is that many ideas have been discussed among our group of schools over the decades, but many are never enacted due to lack of popular support. There is a formal voting process that takes place on membership issues.