PDA

View Full Version : Dissecting the SLC Logjam at 3-1

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
Breaking Down the Leaders
* Not including UCA (2-2) since they are ineligible for SLC title nor including SHSU (2-2), who has already lost to both SFA and SLU.

McNeese State (3-1)
- def. SLU 36-35, loss to SFA 16-13
- vs SHSU, at TXST, vs UCA

Stephen F. Austin (3-1)
- def. McN 16-13, loss to TXST 28-7
- vs. Nich, at SLU, at NWST

Southeastern La. (3-1)
- def. TXST 51-50, loss to McNeese 36-35
- at NWST, vs SFA, vs Nich

Texas State-San Marcos (3-1)
- def. SFA 28-7, loss to SLU 51-50
- at UCA, vs McN, vs SHSU

Thoughts...

- Of the games thus far, all four teams are 1-1 against the other teams in the logjam. Each has a game remaining against the others in the top four.
- SFA and McN at 5-2 (vs Div I foes) can both still qualify for at-large bids with two wins in final three games. If either wins out and does not get AQ, they are favorites for at-large bids
- SLU probably has the most impressive results, having come from behind to beat TXST in San Marcos while nearly pulling off a win at McN
- TXST has the toughest schedule since they have typically struggled against UCA and still host McNeese
- McN has the second toughest schedule due to games at TXST and a brewing 'Red Beans and Rice' rivalry against UCA
- SLU has the easiest schedule, lone road game at winless NWST and SFA comes to home, as does Nicholls
- No team in the league plays their remaining three games against the "top four", but the remainder of the league all does - SHSU (McN, TXST), NWST (SLU, SFA), Nich (McN, SFA), UCA (McN, TXST)
- The last game of the regular season is 'Wildcard Week' for the SLC TV game. At this point, I'd lean to McN vs UCA with SHSU vs TXST getting second billing. SFA vs NWST is just not attractive, especially if NWST enters the game with no SLC wins.

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
With all that info, it looks like a 2 loss teams log jam by the end of the season. If UCA beats TxST and McNeese and the other 3 ONE loss teams lose one more to each other...geez....what a mess in the SLC. xlolx

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
With all that info, it looks like a 2 loss teams log jam by the end of the season. If UCA beats TxST and McNeese and the other 3 ONE loss teams lose one more to each other...geez....what a mess in the SLC. xlolx

I just want two teams in the playoffs. TXST would have to win out to get that (and conceivably not get the SLC AQ - if SLU wins out).

Should be fun. This is going to be an exciting finish to the SLC season. I really think a NWST is going to upset someone. They are fighting and with that QB Paul Harris doing what he has, no telling!

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM
All I know is SELAs back-up QB Ned Beatty took Deliverance to a new level last night and if they get that kind of play out of their back-ups...look out. This conference is wild!

lionsrking2
November 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
- The last game of the regular season is 'Wildcard Week' for the SLC TV game. At this point, I'd lean to McN vs UCA with SHSU vs TXST getting second billing. SFA vs NWST and SLU vs Nich are just not attractive, especially if Nich and NWST only enter the game with one SLC win between them (over the other team at that!)

Our last game with Nicholls State is already scheduled to be on Southland-TV on Thursday night, so it's not in consideration for the wild card game.

LIONFAN85
November 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I thought our game against Nicholls was on SLCTV. It is a Thursday night game so they may head somewhere on Saturday for a game. I'm not sure though.

LIONFAN85
November 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Well you beat me to that.

lionsrking2
November 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
All I know is SELAs back-up QB Ned Beatty took Deliverance to a new level last night and if they get that kind of play out of their back-ups...look out. This conference is wild!

Beatty almost won the starting job at Baylor as a redshirt freshman, and might have had he been a year older with another year of experience...it took him a while to pick up our offense when he transferred in August '08, and Babin was able to hold him off with a strong camp and a strong season last year...Beatty is more talented physically and could probably start for a majority of schools around the country - he'll be our guy in 2010 as a redshirt senior.

McNeese75
November 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Beatty almost won the starting job at Baylor as a redshirt freshman, and might have had he been a year older with another year of experience...it took him a while to pick up our offense when he transferred in August '08, and Babin was able to hold him off with a strong camp and a strong season last year...Beatty is more talented physically and could probably start for a majority of schools around the country - he'll be our guy in 2010 as a redshirt senior.

Is that correct?

lionsrking2
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Is that correct?

Considering he'll be a redshirt senior in 2010 and will be the starter - barring unforeseen circumstances - I would say it is indeed correct.

McNeese75
November 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Considering he'll be a redshirt senior in 2010 and will be the starter - barring unforeseen circumstances - I would say it is indeed correct.

I did not realize he will be a Sr.

lionsrking2
November 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I did not realize he will be a Sr.

Yes...he was at Baylor for two years and next year will be his third in out system.

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
So my question is:

What QBs will be back next year for each SLC team? and how will their effectiveness be perceived by everyone?

For UCA: Nathan Dick who is having problems learning the UCA system. Trae Cook who is a solid passer and can run lights out but has little field time. Wynrick Smothers, heralded QB out of Destrehan who from watching practices, has the ability, but is also learning the system. IMO, Cook is the future with either of the two backing up Cook. I think the QBing will be better, but the defense will lose a ton of guys that were effective at times, nonexistant at others. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
What QBs will be back next year for each SLC team? and how will their effectiveness be perceived by everyone?

According to sources, SHSU has got a big time transfer coming in with quite a bit of name recognition. Not sure if that's the best move since I do like our up and comers who were redshirted this year.

Guess if we have a new head coach, perhaps that route is not taken...???

Schfourteenteen
November 1st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Stephen F. Austin winning secures 2 playoff spots. Losing secures 1 spot.

McNeese75
November 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
According to sources, SHSU has got a big time transfer coming in with quite a bit of name recognition. Not sure if that's the best move since I do like our up and comers who were redshirted this year.

xrolleyesx Some things just never change xsmhx

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM

They may shortly after the season if some have their way.

I think we give our guys a chance. This year was an exception since Welch went down with the injury and outside of having a true freshman at QB, all we had was Randolph...

BEAR
November 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

GoGatos
November 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM

George is gone for TxState, but keep your eye on Tim Hawkins. Kid's a freshman who get's time running our version of the wildcat. Has a good arm and will only get better. People are calling him Barrick Nealy 2.0, but I don't want to rush to judgement.

As for SHSU and their "big name" transfer, TT is right. Kinda hard to build a program when you're bringing in a tansfer QB every year. Good luck with that.

GeauxLions94
November 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM

Sam Bradford xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

:D

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Sam Bradford xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

:D

GL94 - I am pretty sure you are aware of our rumored to be latest Bearkat. Most of the Bearkat faithful (at least those left) have actually not commented much on it. Guess they are more interested in the head coaching situation. xcoffeex

NSUDemon98
November 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM

Jarrett Lee from LSU? It's been reported he is unhappy in Tiger Land and was looking to transfer, or is he a senior?

McNeese75
November 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Jarrett Lee from LSU? It's been reported he is unhappy in Tiger Land and was looking to transfer, or is he a senior?

No, he is a sophomore and IMO he will be looking. SHSU or SFA would be a natural for him as they are the closest SLC schools to his home town of Brenham. McNeese could possibly use him but I think the "Pick Six" baggage he picked up last year at LSU (and I blame the coach for not protecting him in the play calling) would be less of an issue in Texas. Who knows if Miles would release him to a Louisiana school (especially McNeese or Northwestern since they each play LSU over the next two years)

MaximumBobcat
November 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
No, he is a sophomore and IMO he will be looking. SHSU or SFA would be a natural for him as they are the closest SLC schools to his home town of Brenham. McNeese could possibly use him but I think the "Pick Six" baggage he picked up last year at LSU (and I blame the coach for not protecting him in the play calling) would be less of an issue in Texas. Who knows if Miles would release him to a Louisiana school (especially McNeese or Northwestern since they each play LSU over the next two years)

I disagree when coaches do this. I know it is smart, that they are keeping good players from transfering to rival schools, but I think it just messes with a person's future and their personal decisions.

The Longhorns baseball HC, Augie refuses to let any of their baseball players transfer to Texas State. IMO that just says "Yer skeered" xnodx

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
The Longhorns baseball HC, Augie refuses to let any of their baseball players transfer to Texas State. IMO that just says "Yer skeered" xnodx

On the flip side, in the last few years - SHSU has added players from Rice, LSU and Texas A&M. And our program has routinely defeated Rice... :)

DG Cowboy
November 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Well, back to the original thread - looks like to me that it is Southeastern's to lose. SFA and Nicholls in Strawberry, where they are getting some support and NW on the road.

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Well, back to the original thread - looks like to me that it is Southeastern's to lose. SFA and Nicholls in Strawberry, where they are getting some support and NW on the road.

xconfusedx

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM

Actually it's McNeese's to lose...if the Cowboys win out, and we win out, we're doomed...then again, if SFA wins out, it's theirs to lose...that is unless Texas State wins out....xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxeekx

DG Cowboy
November 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Actually it's McNeese's to lose...if the Cowboys win out, and we win out, we're doomed...then again, if SFA wins out, it's theirs to lose...that is unless Texas State wins out....xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxeekx

I thought if McNeese and SLU eliminate Tx St and SFA that the one who went longest without making the playoffs got to go? There was a thread on this, but I never saw where it got definitive as to whether it is head-to-head or last one to go. Sorry if the last-to-go was wrong.

txst80
November 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I thought if McNeese and SLU eliminate Tx St and SFA that the one who went longest without making the playoffs got to go? There was a thread on this, but I never saw where it got definitive as to whether it is head-to-head or last one to go. Sorry if the last-to-go was wrong.

It has to be a 3-way tie for that rule to be used. And the three tied teams have to all be 1-1 against eachother.

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
It has to be a 3-way tie for that rule to be used. And the three tied teams have to all be 1-1 against eachother.

I haven't sat down and thought it out yet, but I would assume there's a scenario where we could have a log-jam at 5-2 between several teams, and imagine even 4-3 would be theoretically possible...I guess anything's possible in this league these days.

BEAR
November 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
I've got it...hold on fellas..why don't you guys just let UCA win out and settle who gets to go to the playoffs with the AQ by seeing which team's mascot could kick the @sses of the other teams mascots!

xwhistlex

Just a thought...xlolx

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM

Yep, it was wrong, :o my bad :D (was confusing it with the 3 way tie rule)

DG Cowboy
November 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
So, a two-way tiebreak goes to the head-to-head winner and a three-way tiebreak among teams who are 1-1 with each other goes to the last to have been in the playoffs.

txst80
November 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
So, a two-way tiebreak goes to the head-to-head winner and a three-way tiebreak among teams who are 1-1 with each other goes to the last to have been in the playoffs.

I believe that is correct

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I believe that is correct

You still have to determine who has the best record head-to-head among the tied teams...if that's even, then you to who has longest playoff drought...unless there's another tiebreaker before you get that point that I'm missing.

MaximumBobcat
November 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
You still have to determine who has the best record head-to-head among the tied teams...if that's even, then you to who has longest playoff drought...unless there's another tiebreaker before you get that point that I'm missing.

You mean best record as in OOC included? You must be, because in this situation all the teams are tied in conference so no one can have a better record than the other.

I don't believe that OOC games have any bearing on tiebreakers within the SLC.

lionsrking2
November 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
You mean best record as in OOC included? You must be, because in this situation all the teams are tied in conference so no one can have a better record than the other.

I don't believe that OOC games have any bearing on tiebreakers within the SLC.

No...if three teams are tied, you look at how each team did against the other...for hypothetical purposes, let's say team A, B, and C are tied with one loss a piece...team A defeated team B but lost to team C...team B lost to team A but defeated team C...all three teams would be 1-1 and you would go to the next tie-breaker...if team A defeated both team B and team C but lost to team D, they would be 2-0 and would win the head-to-head...hope I presented that scenario correctly.

txst80
November 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
No...if three teams are tied, you look at how each team did against the other...for hypothetical purposes, let's say team A, B, and C are tied with one loss a piece...team A defeated team B but lost to team C...team B lost to team A but defeated team C...all three teams would be 1-1 and you would go to the next tie-breaker...if team A defeated both team B and team C but lost to team D, they would be 2-0 and would win the head-to-head...hope I presented that scenario correctly.

It was already established the 3 teams have to be 1-1 against eachother.

lionsrking2
November 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
It was already established the 3 teams have to be 1-1 against eachother.

Sorry about that.xrotatehxxrotatehx

DG Cowboy
November 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
This what lawyers are for. They are paid to write 'em, and they are paid to tell you what they wrote.

Prominentwon
November 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
According to sources, SHSU has got a big time transfer coming in with quite a bit of name recognition.

Jarrett Lee?

It's pretty much a given he's going to leave LSU's program. The writing is on the wall. We had a pretty good discussion on the McNeese board and the feelings were split, IMO. Jarrett has 2 really good friends on the team now and apparently the Brenham coaches have good relationships with the McNeese coaches.

I'm pulling for the kid. I really hope he ends up at McNeese considering the youth at the QB position at McNeese. Having Lee would allow the younger kids to grow up in the system rather than throwing them in the fire as a freshman. Granted, we did that with Derrick Fourroux, but he's an exception, not the rule.

Prominentwon
November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
xlolx

...and sorry for coming in late. Looks my post was already covered.

DG Cowboy
November 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That's one Coach Miles blew. Threw Lee into the frying pan before he was ready, and when the LSU fans turned on him for the "Pick 6's" his support would never be there. Almost codled Jefferson too much, or maybe did, the other way. Must have made Lee feel strange.

I'd like to see him at McNeese, but the Texas roots may be too strong. Next year will be a growing pains year at QB.

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
SLU is looking better and better. This week's dominating win over NWST included...and with SFA struggling against Nicholls, the Lions could end the night in the driver's seat...

DEFENSE DOMINATES IN HISTORIC WIN AT NORTHWESTERN STATE

NATCHITOCHES – The last time Southeastern Louisiana posted a win at Northwestern State, Jimmy Carter was just elected President. The last time the Lions pitched a shutout, Ronald Reagan was preparing for a landslide re-election victory.

Southeastern Louisiana scored a pair of touchdowns in the final 30 seconds of the first half and the Lions posted their first shutout since 1984 as it defeated in-state rival Northwestern State, 27-0, in a Southland Conference game Saturday afternoon at Turpin Stadium. Southeastern, which clinched its first winning season since a 7-4 record in 2004, improved to 6-3 overall and 4-1 in the Southland Conference.

Quarterback Brian Babin returned to the Southeastern lineup after missing last week’s game against Central Arkansas with an injury, tossing three first-half touchdowns and throwing for 200 yards. Merrick Lanaux and Simmie Yarborough also returned to the lineup for Southeastern, as the Lions built a 24-0 halftime lead and posted their first win in Natchitoches since a 34-27 win in 1976.