PDA

View Full Version : If the 2009 Playoffs, were going by 2010's expanded field...

R.A.
October 31st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Big Sky- One Bid
Montana

SoCon- Two Bids
Elon
Appy State

CAA- Four Bids
New Hampshire
Richmond
Villanova
William & Mary

Great West- No Bids

Patriot League- Two Bids
Holy Cross
Lafayette

Southland- Two Bids
McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin

Big South- One Bid
Liberty

Ohio Valley Conference- One Bid
Eastern Illinois

Missouri Valley Conference- Three Bids
South Dakota State
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

Pioneer- One Bid
Butler

MEAC- Two Bids
South Carolina State
Florida A&M

Northeastern Conference-One Bid
Central Connecticut State

Proud Griz Man
October 31st, 2009, 11:41 PM
xdizzyx How many 55-3 first round games will we see in 2010 ? :(

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 11:42 PM
Doesn't the field get bigger if the Pioneer gets an auto? I am pretty sure there can't be more autobids than at large spots.

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Pioneer doesnt get an auto bid in 2010 and theres no way Butler gets an at-large over a second Big Sky team either E Washington or Northern Arizona... heck, not sure the Patriot league gets a second bid over the Big Sky

UNHWildCats
October 31st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Doesn't the field get bigger if the Pioneer gets an auto? I am pretty sure there can't be more autobids than at large spots.I would assume they will jump to a 24 team field once the Pioneer gets an auto bid.

Not sure what the time frame is, but the NCAA maybe hoping the Great West gets another team by then so they can add 2 more autos and two more at larges.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Keep discounting EWU to win 2 more games. I can't wait.

R.A.
October 31st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Pioneer doesnt get an auto bid in 2010 and theres no way Butler gets an at-large over a second Big Sky team either E Washington or Northern Arizona... heck, not sure the Patriot league gets a second bid over the Big Sky

Yeah Way! Who has Eastern Washington or Northern Arizona defeated this season to impress anyone?? Northern Arizona lost to Sacramento State.

Montana is the Big Sky right now.

Redwyn
October 31st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Big South- One Bid
Liberty

Since SBU has actually won more conference games, they should technically be counted here. Increasingly likely the final decision will depend on the outcome of the SBU/Liberty game in 3 weeks though.

R.A.
October 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
Since SBU has actually won more conference games, they should technically be counted here. Increasingly likely the final decision will depend on the outcome of the SBU/Liberty game in 3 weeks though.

I didn't count them for a reason. I think Liberty is going to drop the hammer on Stony Brook.

That's just my opinion though.

Redwyn
October 31st, 2009, 11:55 PM
I didn't count them for a reason. I think Liberty is going to drop the hammer on Stony Brook.

That's just my opinion though.

I have a queasy feeling you're right, though I'm gonna stay optimistic. SBU's doin something right to be playing this well, so hopefully there's a plan for Liberty too.

Shellin
October 31st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Yeah Way! Who has Eastern Washington or Northern Arizona defeated this season to impress anyone?? Northern Arizona lost to Sacramento State.

To be fair, I guess Eastern's best win is at home to Montana State, which isn't a spectacular win by any means, but if they win out and finish 8-3 I can't see the committee leaving them out, especially with the carnage amongst bubble teams today. Despite lacking a marquee win, Eastern is a good team who I don't want the Griz to have to play again in the playoffs...(stupid regionalization).

The flaw with your argument here is that some other teams that you have projected in in front of EWU haven't beaten anyone either. FAMU got beaten handily by both good teams they played and UNI (who i think should be in the field) also lacks a quality win.

Proud Griz Man
November 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM

According to you, who has watched zero Big Sky games this year, last year, etc. Are you related to Mr. Hen89 expert on everything? xnonono2x

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
To be fair, I guess Eastern's best win is at home to Montana State, which isn't a spectacular win by any means, but if they win out and finish 8-3 I can't see the committee leaving them out, especially with the carnage amongst bubble teams today. Despite lacking a marquee win, Eastern is a good team who I don't want the Griz to have to play again in the playoffs...(stupid regionalization).

The flaw with your argument here is that some other teams that you have projected in in front of EWU haven't beaten anyone either. FAMU got beaten handily by both good teams they played and UNI (who i think should be in the field) also lacks a quality win.

The Valley is tough as nails this season.

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
According to you, who has watched zero Big Sky games this year, last year, etc. Are you related to Mr. Hen89 expert on everything? xnonono2x

Lol. I have Versus. I watch Big Sky game buddy. I think Weber State's strong in the Big Sky. I think they'll hammer some other teams that will make th eplayoffs. But I'm just not sold on the conference as a whole.

If it MEAC you feel any better, I think the Big Sky is just a hair above the MEAC... did that make you feel better!?!?

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
The Valley is tough as nails this season.So is the Big Sky.

Nice try. xrolleyesx

If EWU wins out, there's no way they miss the playoffs.

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
So is the Big Sky.

Nice try. xrolleyesx

I think last year the Big Sky was stronger.

malibudude
November 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Keep discounting EWU to win 2 more games. I can't wait.

Sheder Sity. Get that one. Tough place to play.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
I think last year the Big Sky was stronger.That may be, but that doesn't mean it's not strong.

I'd still take Big Sky top to bottom over every conference except Southern, CAA, and maybe the Valley. We'd give them a run for their money.

There's no way the Southland, MEAC and Patriot get two in when the Big Sky only gets one, especially if EWU wins out.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM
This whole "Big Sky is weak" bull***** happens every year from CAA, MVC and Southern conference posters, but I can't believe we're starting to get it from posters of conferences that can't even back it up. xrolleyesx xnonono2x

You guys would get trounced by the 3rd best Big Sky team.

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
That may be, but that doesn't mean it's not strong.

I'd still take Big Sky top to bottom over every conference except Southern, CAA, and maybe the Valley. We'd give them a run for their money.

There's no way the Southland, MEAC and Patriot get two in when the Big Sky only gets one, especially if EWU wins out.

We shall see...

That would be a good game to see FAMU @ EWU or visa versa. It's not going to happen, but that would be a good one.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
So is the Big Sky.

Nice try. xrolleyesx

The third place team in the MVFC lost to the #4 FBS team in the nation by a point. What has the #3 Big Sky team done? Hell, what has the #2 Big Sky team done?

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM
The third place team in the MVFC lost to a the #4 FBS team in the nation by a point. What has the #3 Big Sky team done? Hell, what has the #2 Big Sky team done?Well, they still lost, even though they should have won. They also lost to two other teams when everyone said they were invincible.

Besides beating UNI, SDSU and SIU haven't done anything, either. SDSU even lost to Cal Poly.

I think SIU and SDSU are great teams, don't get me wrong, but I think EWU and WSU are great teams, also.

On a good day, WSU could dominate the Griz, as could EWU. The Griz were the ones having good days, though. xlolx :p

I think the MVFC should get two teams in. I just think it's ridiculous that a guy is advocating for teams with much less impressive resumes to get in over EWU.

FargoBison
November 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Well, they still lost, even though they should have won. They also lost to two other teams when everyone said they were invincible.

Besides beating UNI, SDSU and SIU haven't done anything, either. SDSU even lost to Cal Poly.

I think SIU and SDSU are great teams, don't get me wrong, but I think EWU and WSU are great teams, also.

On a good day, WSU could dominate the Griz, as could EWU. The Griz were the ones having good days, though. xlolx :p

I think the MVFC should get two teams in. I just think it's ridiculous that a guy is advocating for teams with much less impressive resumes to get in over EWU.

It is ridiculous that a MEAC team will get an at large over a Big Sky team, especially a FAMU team that has done nothing and played nobody. I can agree with that.

With that said, EWU still has to win at SUU and at NAU, which is easier said than done.

While UNI did lose that game, we are talking about the #4 team in the country. Remember SIU's only loss is by 3 to a 5-3 Marshall team and we both know how hard it is to win at Cal Poly.

The Big Sky's problem is their teams play too many FBS games.

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
It is ridiculous that a MEAC team will get an at large over a Big Sky team, especially a FAMU team that has done nothing and played nobody. I can agree with that.

With that said, EWU still has to win at SUU and at NAU, which is easier said than done.

While UNI did lose that game, we are talking about the #4 team in the country. Remember SIU's only loss is by 3 to a 5-3 Marshall team and we both know how hard it is to win at Cal Poly.

The Big Sky's problem is their teams play too many FBS games.

The FBS issue also exists for the Great West and Southland teams.

Bull Fan
November 1st, 2009, 04:54 AM
I have a queasy feeling you're right, though I'm gonna stay optimistic. SBU's doin something right to be playing this well, so hopefully there's a plan for Liberty too.

All due respect, but The Brook has beaten no one of note this year... I know you're limited to the schedule but they're not quality wins.

McTailGator
November 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
xdizzyx How many 55-3 first round games will we see in 2010 ? :(

If they send any of those limited scholly schools to Wash-Griz, The Hole, or the Rock, than I would think there will be plenty of 8 touchdown wins by the home teams.

It will NOT be pretty.

But they asked for it. I say stick it to them and break it off in them.

Redwyn
November 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
All due respect, but The Brook has beaten no one of note this year... I know you're limited to the schedule but they're not quality wins.

However, we're talking specifically in terms of Liberty, and no one else. Liberty has also beaten no one of consequence, losing to a way below par JMU and having a single win against LaFayette (which I'd say is equivalent if not less important than our Brown win based on Brown's win over HC).

To add to it, only SBU and CSU in the Big South have had full D1 schedules. To go on a strong conference win streak after getting tarmacked by OOC does say something though, so hoping we can ride that.

Proud Griz Man
November 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
If they send any of those limited scholly schools to Wash-Griz, The Hole, or the Rock, than I would think there will be plenty of 8 touchdown wins by the home teams.

It will NOT be pretty.
But they asked for it. I say stick it to them and break it off in them.

Exactly. xnodx

Bull Fan
November 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
However, we're talking specifically in terms of Liberty, and no one else. Liberty has also beaten no one of consequence, losing to a way below par JMU and having a single win against LaFayette (which I'd say is equivalent if not less important than our Brown win based on Brown's win over HC).

To add to it, only SBU and CSU in the Big South have had full D1 schedules. To go on a strong conference win streak after getting tarmacked by OOC does say something though, so hoping we can ride that.

The "yeah, but"... it has been Lafayette's only loss, and Liberty won on the road.... SBU has pulled off nothing of that stature. Your Brown win isn't as impressive given their season. HC win or not..... The absolute is that Liberty has directly beaten a Lafayette; you can only claim to have beaten Brown who's beaten HC.

For example, Hofstra beat what is turning out to be a mediocre JMU team that just beat up on Delaware, but who knows what happens when the Dutch visit Newark next week.....

Not knocking you guys down, I just think that Liberty is a stronger and more worthy playoff team (relatively speaking). Good luck the rest of the way, Redwyn....

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
This whole "Big Sky is weak" bull***** happens every year from CAA, MVC and Southern conference posters, but I can't believe we're starting to get it from posters of conferences that can't even back it up. xrolleyesx xnonono2x

You guys would get trounced by the 3rd best Big Sky team.

Well, the MEAC thinks most of the FCS is overrated anyway.

kirkblitz
November 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Every conf is weak except the big south xrulesxxrulesxxrulesx

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
It is ridiculous that a MEAC team will get an at large over a Big Sky team, especially a FAMU team that has done nothing

Potentially 9 FCS Wins.

and played nobody. I can't agree with that.

Yeah, I mean Miami and South Carolina State aren't good teams xlolx

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM

From a Big South fan no less .... xcoolx

aceinthehole
November 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Potentially 9 FCS Wins.

Yeah, I mean Miami and South Carolina State aren't good teams xlolx

Yeah, but what is FAMU best win?

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Every conf is weak except the big south xrulesxxrulesxxrulesx

You know... Bethune Cookman, the same Bethune - Cookman that lost to Division II Shaw, defeated North Carolina A&T during North Carolina A&T's homecoming 31-13.

That 28-7 victory that Coastal had in Conway over A&T doesn't look as good as it did previously.

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, but what is FAMU best win?

OVC Tenn State, MEAC Norfolk State, MEAC Morgan State.

soccerguy315
November 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
some of these teams would get crushed this year in the playoffs...

I don't know if I'm really looking forward to the expansion.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Potentially 9 FCS Wins.Again, against a bunch of nobodies.

Yeah, I mean Miami and South Carolina State aren't good teams xlolxWell, they lost to both, and in the Miami game FAMU got rocked. Using an FBS blowout doesn't really help your case.

OVC Tenn State, MEAC Norfolk State, MEAC Morgan State.xrolleyesx Man, bunch of powerhouses right here.

Big Dawg
November 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
We play who's on our schedule...contact our Athletic Department and get on OUR schedule...*walks out*

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
We play who's on our schedule...contact our Athletic Department and get on OUR schedule...*walks out*That's not how it works. xnonox

FAMU's weak schedule is its own fault.

Big Dawg
November 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
That's not how it works. xnonox

FAMU's weak schedule is its own fault.

How...we play in the MEAC...not much we can do to get around that.xrolleyesx

FargoBison
November 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Call up some SoCon schools....Call up some CAA schools....Call up some Southland schools. Schedule a beatable FBS team. I'm tired of these schools that don't schedule anyone and then put their arms up in the air at the end of the season saying we can't help it that we play in a bad league.

Look at Liberty, they play in a weak league but that didn't stop them from going out and playing some decent teams in non-conference play.

Heck NDSU plays in MVFC and we have Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State on our upcoming schedules to go along with FBS games at Kansas, Minnesota and Iowa State.

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
How...we play in the MEAC...not much we can do to get around that.xrolleyesx

There isn't much MEAC teams can do with the current mandate over conference games.

Maybe you all should look up Mr. Dennis Thomas' info and give him the suggestions that you all post here. He doesn't listen to us. xmadx

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Call up some SoCon schools....Call up some CAA schools....Call up some Southland schools. Schedule a beatable FBS team. I'm tired of these schools that don't schedule anyone and then put their arms up in the air at the end of the season saying we can't help it that we play in a bad league.

Look at Liberty, they play in a weak league but that didn't stop them from going out and playing some decent teams in non-conference play.

Heck NDSU plays in MVFC and we have Georgia Southern, Montana, and Montana State on our upcoming schedules to go along with FBS games at Kansas, Minnesota and Iowa State.

Can you PLEASE TELL THIS to some of the old heads who are in charge and only care about money? xwhistlex

Head Cat
November 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Funny how everyone from another conference thinks that everyone else's conference and schedule is weak. What a bunch of disrespect from nearly everyone on this thread.

Folks, I like to watch as much football as I can and there are good teams in the Big Sky and the MEAC, the PL, the MVFC, the Ivy League and the Big South. Even the NEC has a couple of good teams that played down to the wire yesterday. There is a lot of parity in FCS this season.

The fact is you need eight or nine wins to make the playoff field and auto-bid conferences that get nine wins seldom, if ever, are left out of the playoffs.

Can we just all get along?

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
The Playoffs will be expanded next year so everyone will get their chance to put their money where their mouths are!

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
The Playoffs will be expanded next year so everyone will get their chance to put their money where their mouths are!

Yea, and you're truly smoking meth if you think the Big Sky only gets one team in in an expanded playoff format. We'll get three virtually every year.

dgreco
November 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Yea, and you're truly smoking meth if you think the Big Sky only gets one team in in an expanded playoff format. We'll get three virtually every year.

not if 3 dont qualify

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I can't recall... What's the new format next year? NEC and Big South autos, 24 teams, and first round byes?

R.A.
November 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM

Three every year... interesting.

SumItUp
November 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM

It is possible that there will not even be a Big Sky team eligible for an at-large selection this year. The scenario:

Montana State eliminated with a loss to Montana.
Eastern Washington eliminated with a loss to @Southern Utah
Weber State eliminated with a loss to Cal Poly
Northern Arizona loss to Ole Miss and eliminated with a loss to Weber State or Eastern Washington

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
It is possible that there will not even be a Big Sky team eligible for an at-large selection this year. The scenario:

Montana State eliminated with a loss to Montana.
Eastern Washington eliminated with a loss to @Southern Utah
Weber State eliminated with a loss to Cal Poly
Northern Arizona loss to Ole Miss and eliminated with a loss to Weber State or Eastern Washington

This thread is about the expanded format going forward. My guess is that one of the above mentioned teams would get in even in your scenario played out, in an expanded format.