PDA

View Full Version : Tough Road Stadiums

DG Cowboy
October 31st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Where does your team play on the road, and you feel like they are already down 10 points at kickoff due to the home crowd and stadium?

UNHFan
October 31st, 2009, 10:04 PM
For me? UNH playing Umass at Amherst

Dukie95
October 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Delaware. JMU got the win today, but it was the first one in 15 years. That's really the only CAA South venue that's been a consistent problem for the Dukes.

In the North, probably Northeastern.

asknoquarter21
October 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Paulson used to be a tough venue.

Fortunately AE gives us a 20 point lead before kickoff :)

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM
The only formidable stadium other than Washington Griz in the Big Sky (or on our schedule this year) is Montana State.

Sorry BSC teams, but if Montana fans outnumber, or almost outnumber your fans at home games, I can't call it "tough."

FargoBison
October 31st, 2009, 10:40 PM
SDSU, haven't won there in a decade.

T-Dog
October 31st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Paulson used to be a tough venue.

Fortunately AE gives us a 20 point lead before kickoff :)

It didn't feel like that last year when we won 37-36. And two years before when we won in double OT.

For App, definitely Paulson. No matter how good App is or bad GaSo is that year, the spirit or Erk always makes GaSo play like world beaters.

AggieFinn
October 31st, 2009, 10:57 PM
How 'bout @ North Dakota...beat up on Poly today...but lose to Sioux Falls???

CID1990
November 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
With the exception of OL FU, Furman fans will not admit that Johnson Hagood is not a good place to play. Marshall fans might also recall that.

Saint3333
November 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
For ASU:

GSU is the toughest in the SoCon.

Citadel plays ASU at least 2TDs tougher in Charleston it seems.

Furman before 5 years ago was tough

Wofford and UTC due to the sterile atmosphere is tough for our players.

SCSUDog4Life
November 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
For us it's historically Bragg Stadium....everytime FAMU comes to Orangeburg we beat them pretty handily, but everytime we go down to Tallahassee, it's like the grass trips players up, referees start making phantom calls, plus you see nothing but a sea of orange and green in the stadium with a quarter of that being Garnet and Blue SCSU fans....

The last 3 years we've played there we've won by a TD....we've beat them by an average of over 25 points in Orangeburg.

813Jag
November 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
For southern I would say alcorn. Always a tough place and the jags never get calls there. No matter the record the braves play like mcnair is leading them. Plus it's in the woods which I hate. Xlolx

bcrawf
November 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Carbondale... Haven't won there since '96.

Hopefully them moving into a new stadium (and the graduation of Pat Grace) will break that streak next year...

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Carbondale... Haven't won there since '96.

Hopefully them moving into a new stadium (and the graduation of Pat Grace) will break that streak next year...

Them breaking their streak in the Dome this year should add fuel to that fire. Yes Carbondale is where we have a lot of trouble winning.

We may get a shot at payback in the playoffs in Carbondale, though. So I still think it could happen this year rather than next year.

SU Jag
November 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Spinks stadium (alcorn state). No matter how bad they are, they always play us tough in lorman.

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Kidd Brewer & Missoula are the toughest places to play in FCS. They constantly sell out their stadium and they play in higher elevations and it is just cold there in the playoffs, especially Mossoula.

Now as far as the MEAC & SWAC, none of our places are tough to play. Alot of people who do go to the games are not into the game. Heck, many leave after halftime when they watch the band(s) play.

It is something in our culture that is just hard to change.

SU Jag
November 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Kidd Brewer & Missoula are the toughest places to play in FCS. They constantly sell out their stadium and they play in higher elevations and it is just cold there in the playoffs, especially Mossoula.

Now as far as the MEAC & SWAC, none of our places are tough to play. Alot of people who do go to the games are not into the game. Heck, many leave after halftime when they watch the band(s) play.

Speak for your team. Southern, jackson state, grambling, famu,and alcorn are some of the toughest placed to play period. Noone leaves these places after halftime. I also throw in a night visit to aamu is tough because they get loud and start twirling does dang towels and its off the chains. Get your facts together before you start throwing two conferences under the bus.

srgrizizen
November 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM

All true WCA, but I wouldn't put too much weight on the crowd and stadium factor. Wa/Griz is tough mainly because you have to play the Grizzlies, and Montana could win every game in Kidd Brewer, as long as we could play, say, Idaho State there.xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

whoanellie
November 1st, 2009, 11:47 AM
With the exception of OL FU, Furman fans will not admit that Johnson Hagood is not a good place to play. Marshall fans might also recall that.
One would have to agree that THE Citadel is a different team at Home. Where Men are Men and so are the women!!

Kemo
November 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Fargo Dome for the Jacks imo, as we won for the first time ever at that place last year. It is to be noted that it is only the second year in the MVC for SDSU, so we don't have a large sample size of games against UNI/SIU, which I'm sure are both tough stadiums to play at (we did lose at both places last year).

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Speak for your team. Southern, jackson state, grambling, famu,and alcorn are some of the toughest placed to play period. Noone leaves these places after halftime. I also throw in a night visit to aamu is tough because they get loud and start twirling does dang towels and its off the chains. Get your facts together before you start throwing two conferences under the bus.

You are right, I can't particularly speak on the SWAC but definitely from the MEAC, many fans do not become heavily involved in creating an hostile enviroment. I am not trying to throw any team or conference under the bus but it is an issue on why our fans are not as in to the game as they should be although some in both the SWAC & MEAC go against the trends. xpeacex

HoyaMetanoia
November 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM
The Multi Sport Field at Georgetown. We've only won there once in our last 13 games.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Wash-Griz is always tough. I always assume a 10 point start for the Griz in Missoula.

Skydome at NAU is tough as well. The fans are always loud and boisterous which makes it hard to hear, and playing in elevation (7000+ ft) makes it hard to breathe.

phoenix3
November 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Johnson Hagood definately! The cadets may be officers and gentlemen elsewhere on The Citadel's campus - Not in Johnson Hagood by a long shot.

Eight Legger
November 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I guess we're in the middle of a pretty good streak when I can say that we feel confident playing at UNI, at App State, at JMU and at Delaware, where we are a combined 7-1 in our past 8 games.

I typically don't feel confident when we go to Villanova, but it's not because of the crowd, it's because of the team and the fact that they usually play us really tough and win up there.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wash-Griz is always tough. I always assume a 10 point start for the Griz in Missoula.

Skydome at NAU is tough as well. The fans are always loud and boisterous which makes it hard to hear, and playing in elevation (7000+ ft) makes it hard to breathe.

xnodx

100%GRIZ
November 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM

I will agree the 7000 ft makes it hard to breathe at NAU but the fans are always loud and boisterous, are you kidding me, (oh now I know what your saying when the Griz play there) then the Griz fans are loud and boisterous!!! My Bad!!!

appstate38
November 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM
Definitely Johnson Hagood..... The Apps always seems to struggle down there!

R.A.
November 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
The Multi Sport Field at Georgetown. We've only won there once in our last 13 games.

xlolxxlolx You're funny!!xlolxxlolx

JALMOND
November 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
I will agree the 7000 ft makes it hard to breathe at NAU but the fans are always loud and boisterous, are you kidding me, (oh now I know what your saying when the Griz play there) then the Griz fans are loud and boisterous!!! My Bad!!!

Maybe it helps to have some good plays to take the NAU fans out of the game. We have not figured out how to do that yet.:)

Silenoz
November 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Chattanooga has been a pretty rough place for us...

813Jag
November 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM

Have you been to a southern/alcorn game in lorman? You can get off the campus until a couple of hours after the game is over. The last few times the jags have played there it's been last minute wins. Who's leaving that? Besides where are you going to go in lorman? xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
xlolxxthumbsupxxbowx
Chattanooga has been a pretty rough place for us...

NSUDemon98
November 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Where does your team play on the road, and you feel like they are already down 10 points at kickoff due to the home crowd and stadium?

Northwestern St. hasn't won a game in Cowboy Stadium since 1988. And so far this year at 0-8 our own stadium has been pretty tough to play in as well. xlolx

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
For Harvard, it's Franklin Field. We've only won there twice since 1980 ('04 and '08).

813Jag
November 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
How could I forget nicholls? Really glad they don't play there any more Southern has lost there almost every way they could. I hated that damn cannon growing up. xlolx

Husky Alum
November 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Northeastern hasn't won at UMass since like 1956.

We've never won at W&M, and I am not sure if we've ever won at Delaware.

There was a period of time where we went about 30 years between wins at UNH, too.

JMU and Delaware seem to get paralyzed when they play at Parsons.

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I will say that ODU's Foreman Field will be a very tough place to play in a couple of years. Selling out 20,000 seats every game is a remarkable statistic for any progam, much less a first year one.

iceman4221
November 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
For us it's historically Bragg Stadium....everytime FAMU comes to Orangeburg we beat them pretty handily, but everytime we go down to Tallahassee, it's like the grass trips players up, referees start making phantom calls, plus you see nothing but a sea of orange and green in the stadium with a quarter of that being Garnet and Blue SCSU fans....

The last 3 years we've played there we've won by a TD....we've beat them by an average of over 25 points in Orangeburg.

Ditto that!!!

iceman4221
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM

Ditto that!!! But lets not forget Hampton University, it doesn't matter how good we are, they are always a tough opponent to beat on their home turf...

Historically speaking we have beaten FAMU More Than TWICE in their stadium, Buddy Pough is the only SCSU HC that has ever beat Hampton @ Hampton if I'm not mistaken... TightEye can you confirm this one???

MR. CHICKEN
November 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
Northeastern hasn't won at UMass since like 1956.

We've never won at W&M, and I am not sure if we've ever won at Delaware.

There was a period of time where we went about 30 years between wins at UNH, too.

JMU and Delaware seem to get paralyzed when they play at Parsons.

AH CONCUR......AN' WE GOTTAH GO TA PARSONS....NOV.13TH,2010.....xeekx.....BRAWK!

Green26
November 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
An EWU player told some of his UM buddies (from high school) after the Griz game (several weeks ago) that Griz stadium was louder than Cal's stadium had been.

seantaylor
November 2nd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Until GSU went away from the option, Paulson was the toughest venue in all of sports. Jag off Hatcher and Baker have voided that.

Saluki_man
November 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Even though SIU won there this year. It has always been and will be the UNI dome.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
In the North, probably Northeastern.
xrulesx xnodx

ASU33
November 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
You are right, I can't particularly speak on the SWAC but definitely from the MEAC, many fans do not become heavily involved in creating an hostile enviroment. I am not trying to throw any team or conference under the bus but it is an issue on why our fans are not as in to the game as they should be although some in both the SWAC & MEAC go against the trends. xpeacex

You said as far as the SWAC and MEAC none of our places are tough to play at!xnonono2xxlolx

ASU33
November 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM

This is one of the most off the wall, untrue post that Ive ever read. It may be time for you to leave the west coast and come back down south to a few HBCU football games. To say that you have lost touch with reality is an understatement.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
I've played on the offensive side of the ball in the following stadiums during my career, which ended a couple years ago. Here are my rankings on the toughest places to play as a road team in the FCS:

1. Montana - BY FAR the loudest, most intimidating stadium I've been to... The Griz fans are on top of the action and know how to make some serious noise!
2. North Dakota State - The Fargo Dome's crowd noise is probably only amplified by the importance of the Dakota Marker game.
3. Georgia Southern - GSU's fans were all over us little farm boys from SD.
4. McNeese St. - Solid crowd and atmophere.
5. Southern - One of my personal favorites, but the fans were just sitting back in their chairs the whole game.
6. Cal Poly - The best looking girls in the FCS, that's for sure!
7. Northern Iowa - Nothing special if you ask me... Not near as loud as Fargo.
8. Montana State - I'd say Bozeman is most like what we have in Brookings.
9. UC Davis - I only got to play in their old stadium, so can't speak for the new one.
10. Texas State - Nothing memorable from that place. Another track around the field limits the fans' ability to play a factor in the game.
11. Nicholls St. - Brutal. I really expected more after visiting McNeese.
12. Northern Colorado - Small stadium with quiet fans who are prob just trying to stay warm.
12. Southern Utah - BY FAR the worst gameday atmosphere I've seen. The fan base is tiny and separated by a track. I'd hate to play my home games there!

JackFan
November 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM

Arrogant griz fan…not everyone can fill there place with 25,000 + . Ive spent three years at NAU and I think this years game against the griz was the loudest ive heard it in the dome. There was about 8,000 fans for the Montana game and 10,000 at both the UNC and Idaho State games but the lesser crowd for the Montana game was the loudest. By no means the loudest place but not a morgue either…. The 7th feet elevation is our claim to fame though

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/jeffro5122/naufootball025.jpg

Screamin_Eagle174
November 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Like I thought.. all the mod's here have hidden agenda's and make up infractions against members whom they don't like. You're all a bunch of f u c king cowards. All you're doing is causing everyone to go over to CHAMPIONSHIPSUBDIVISION.COM and never come back to this pathetic site. It is truly amazing that so many immature cowards subjectively moderate this place without any accountability or repercussions for their actions. Go **** yourselves **** stains!!!

henfan
November 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I quadruple that opinion, as far as the UD Hens are concerned. Parsons, hands down. Alfond, Bridgeforth & Zable have also been tough over the years.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
For Villanova, It's at UMass.. I don't know if we've ever won there.

LIONFAN85
November 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I say Cowboy Stadium is as good as Ive been to in FCS. In 2007, I think it was one of their biggest crowds in history and it was tough. This year it wasn't as full but still really good atmoshere.

DG Cowboy
November 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I say Cowboy Stadium is as good as Ive been to in FCS. In 2007, I think it was one of their biggest crowds in history and it was tough. This year it wasn't as full but still really good atmoshere.

I am looking forward to going back to Strawberry Stadium next year for SLU-McNeese. I saw my last real game there in 1964 - SLC and MSC, and I'd like to revisit now that SLU and McNeese are playing some tough games against each other.

AppMan
November 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Considering the Apps have won 45 out of their last 48 home games, I'd say Kidd Brewer Stadium is a pretty tough place to play.

CrunchGriz
November 5th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Considering the Apps have won 45 out of their last 48 home games, I'd say Kidd Brewer Stadium is a pretty tough place to play.

Montana has won 44 of their last 48 home games. ASU has the Griz by a game in the "home game record" matchup. ;) (Incidentally, the Griz record is for games back to the beginning of 2004.)

AppMan
November 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Montana has won 44 of their last 48 home games. ASU has the Griz by a game in the "home game record" matchup. ;) (Incidentally, the Griz record is for games back to the beginning of 2004.)

Could be a photo finish!

Redbird Ray
November 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
UNI-Dome has always been a tough venue for us. A sleeper tough venue, for ISU, is Hanson Field in Macomb. Regardless of the records, for some reason we always struggle when we play there.