PDA

View Full Version : cs.com Top 25 Poll

panther25
October 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Not sure if anyone has anymore information on this poll, but it looked pretty good so I thought I would post it. Came up when googling Championship Subdivision Top 25 so I thought what the heck.

2009 CS Top 25 Football Poll
Week 8 (10/26/2009)
1. Richmond Spiders
2. Montana Grizzlies
3. Southern Illinois Salukis
4. Villanova Wildcats
5. William & Mary Tribe
6. Elon Phoenix
7. South Dakota State Jackrabbits
8. New Hampshire Wildcats
9. Appalachian State Mountaineers
10. Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks
11. Northern Iowa Panthers
12. South Carolina State Bulldogs
13. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens
14. Central Arkansas Bears
15. McNeese State Cowboys
16. Weber State Wildcats
17. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
18. Cal Poly Mustangs
19. Massachusetts Minutemen
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers
21. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
22. Eastern Washington Eagles
23. Holy Cross Crusaders
24. Liberty Flames
25. Albany Great Danes

If anyone has more information on the poll that would be cool too.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Pretty darn good poll right there! xthumbsupx

andy7171
October 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
5 .... 4 ..... 3 ..... 2 .....

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM
5 .... 4 ..... 3 ..... 2 .....

Looks good! xthumbsupx

crusader11
October 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Albany is in the poll with two losses and wins over no one?

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Who would you put in over Albany at this point?

There is arguably 5 or 6 teams right around the 25 spot and I wouldn't argue with any of those teams being at #25, even if it meant over Albany. Albany may not be more deserving than some of those other teams, but they certainly aren't less deserving.

FAMU
Colgate
Lafayette
PVA&M
Montana State perhaps?
Gardner Webb perhaps?
Central Conn.

All teams that could arguably be in at 25 and the poll would still be good.

And, BTW, if that's your only complaint, then I'd say the poll is pretty darn good. There will never be a resounding opinion on 23-25 at this point in the season.

crusader11
October 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
It is a pretty good poll. Lafayette has to be in there though. They are 6-1, had a thorough drubbing of Harvard, and their only blemish is coming up just short against a solid Liberty team.

crusader11
October 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Colgate has a better resume than Albany as well, imo.

OL FU
October 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Who would you put in over Albany at this point?

There is arguably 5 or 6 teams right around the 25 spot and I wouldn't argue with any of those teams being at #25, even if it meant over Albany. Albany may not be more deserving than some of those other teams, but they certainly aren't less deserving.

FAMU
Colgate
Lafayette
PVA&M
Montana State perhaps?
Gardner Webb perhaps?
Central Conn.

All teams that could arguably be in at 25 and the poll would still be good.

And, BTW, if that's your only complaint, then I'd say the poll is pretty darn good. There will never be a resounding opinion on 23-25 at this point in the season.

Georgia Southern which shows that Albany doesn't belong:p

DetroitFlyer
October 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I would throw Butler, Drake and Dayton into that conversation as well. One of those three will more than likely get to defeat either Albany or CCSU in the last Gridiron Classic....

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Colgate's resume is arguably equal to Albany.

Colgate hasn't any good wins.
Albany has a win over a then-Top 20 team (Maine).

Colgate has a bad loss to Holy Cross.
Albany got drubbed by UMass.

UMass is stronger than Holy Cross, so I'd say that cancels out.

Albany's loss to GSU on a last second field goal may look better to some than Colgate's OT win against Princeton.

Then you can look at common opponents:

Albany @ Monmouth - 42-20 (35-10 at halftime and the subs went in after that)
Monmouth @ Colgate - 35-23 (Monmouth was winning at halftime and the game was close into the 4th quarter)

Its pretty easy to see either way.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Georgia Southern which shows that Albany doesn't belong:p

Also, GSU.

And yes, if someone wanted to put GSU in at 25 in place of Albany, I'd certainly have no argument against it.

crusader11
October 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Is a loss to Holy Cross really considered a bad loss?

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Is a loss to Holy Cross really considered a bad loss?

A butt kicking by an unranked team? I wouldn't consider it a good loss. My point was that it's about equal to a butt kicking by UMass. In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't consider it a horrendous loss. But we're just comparing Albany to Colgate right now.

OL FU
October 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Also, GSU.

And yes, if someone wanted to put GSU in at 25 in place of Albany, I'd certainly have no argument against it.

Yep I wouldn't put Georgia Southern any where near the top 25xsmiley_wix

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
This Championship Subdivision poll usually looks pretty solid. The website has some good info on FCS as well

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Yep I wouldn't put Georgia Southern any where near the top 25xsmiley_wix

I would when comparing them to the other 7 or 8 teams vying for the last spot.

OL FU
October 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I would when comparing them to the other 7 or 8 teams vying for the last spot.

Well first I was just picking on you. I admire your unwavering defense of Albanyxnodx

If that is the case, then we certainly have a sad and very large difference between number 1 and number 25. But I suppose that is the way it has always been.

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
The one thing I question about this poll is why does it come out so late in the week?

Seems they moved it earlier in the week this current week, but they do have the advantage of getting to see the other polls all roll out a good bit of time before them. That probably hurts the credibility of the poll some, but it is young - so it will take time.

Does not list the amount of voters either which does not help that. Glad to see more polls though and more people submitting input.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Well first I was just picking on you. I admire your unwavering defense of Albanyxnodx

If that is the case, then we certainly have a sad and very large difference between number 1 and number 25. But I suppose that is the way it has always been.

I think its a HUGE difference between 22 and 25.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
The one thing I question about this poll is why does it come out so late in the week?

Seems they moved it earlier in the week this current week, but they do have the advantage of getting to see the other polls all roll out a good bit of time before them. That probably hurts the credibility of the poll some, but it is young - so it will take time.

Does not list the amount of voters either which does not help that. Glad to see more polls though and more people submitting input.

We have asked them to move it up. It was actually released this morning, but didn't get posted on here until now. My understanding is that because the system is new they want to make sure there aren't any issues in the vote tabluation. Better to wait I think than have to retract a poll (e.g. TSN).

aggiemba
October 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Where is UC Davis?

TexasTerror
October 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
We have asked them to move it up. It was actually released this morning, but didn't get posted on here until now. My understanding is that because the system is new they want to make sure there aren't any issues in the vote tabluation. Better to wait I think than have to retract a poll (e.g. TSN).

I agree - better to wait than have to retract something or send out a correction (which is commonplace, whether fans know it or not), but Tuesday is a bit late for a poll.

Tailbone
October 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Where is UC Davis?

California?

andy7171
October 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
California?

xlolx

lionsrking2
October 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I don't see a problem in coming out a little bit later...gives voters more time to digest information and make better decisions...it's not like the FCS world has to grind to halt waiting on them.

dbackjon
October 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Voting does not close until 3PM PST right now. this is done to ensure everyone has a chance to full digest the weekend's games - recognizing that many are busy on sundays and don't have a chance to study the results until Monday morning.

The Poll was posted last night.

Dane96
October 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Except for Colgate...what has Holy Cross done to be in the rankings.

Albany's win over Maine would be of the same caliber of the Cross beating the 'Gate.

That said, DF is right...you can swap 23-25 anyday with teams in the 23-32 range.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
What happened to my post? xconfusedx

I said I agreed with it. What's wrong with saying I agreed with it? xconfusedx

andy7171
October 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM
please disperse, nothing to see here, please disperse

I still think you should be on EST.

:p:p

Dane96
October 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM

With all due respect...who have they beaten?

With the one common opponent, Albany THROTTLED Monmouth...Colgate not so much...but had a very good win.

aggiemba
October 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Well....for one thing it left out UC Davis...

andy7171
October 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM

It could be worse, you could be down in the count for having fun.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Well....for one thing it left out UC Davis...

Please educate me on UC Davis.

I see:

Sep 5 - L at Fresno State, 0-51
Sep 12 - L vs. Montana, 10-17
Sep 26 - W vs. Western Oregon, 29-13
Oct 3 - L at Boise State, 16-34
Oct 10 - W at South Dakota, 24-23 OT
Oct 17 - W vs. Winston-Salem St, 45-14
Oct 24 - W at Portland State, 34-31

And don't see Top 25. Maybe I'm missing something?

ToTheLeft
October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I see:

Here's how UCD fans see their schedule:

Sep 5 - Tough, Hard Fought L at Fresno State, 0-51
Sep 12 - Close L vs. Montana, 10-17
Oct 3 - Competitive L at Boise State, 16-34

And so those losses only count as half losses, bringing them to a record of 4 - 1.5 :) and of course, they're 3 - 0.5 against the FCS, winning record = top 25!

andy7171
October 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I see:

I'm pretty sure Boise is overrated at #7 in the BCS.

AshevilleApp
October 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM

I see:

Well if you are talking impressive losses you probably couldn't find any better than a closish affair against Boise State and a 7 point loss to a top FCS program like Montana

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Well if you are talking impressive losses you probably couldn't find any better than a closish affair against Boise State and a 7 point loss to a top FCS program like Montana

Agreed.

And I'm not questioning UC Davis in anyone's Top 25. I hadn't seriously considered them and maybe I should have. That's why I'm asking.

aggiemba
October 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM

AshevilleApp - hits the nail right smack dab on the head. I'm not arguing that UC Davis should be considered one of the top tier teams, I'm mearly suggesting with their three losses they are arguably part of the Top 25.

Montana is a GREAT FCS team and I think even the Griz fans would argue that we gave them one hell of a game.

89Hen
October 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm mearly suggesting with their three losses they are arguably part of the Top 25.
That is one strange comment.

aggiemba
October 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM
That is one strange comment.

100% agree, what I meant to convey is that the three losses come at the hands of very very powerful teams and Davis should be rewarded for how well they played them. :o

Native
October 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
100% agree, what I meant to convey is that the three losses come at the hands of very very powerful teams and Davis should be rewarded for how well they played them. :o

Rewarded for three losses and NO QUALITY WINS? xoopsx

dgreco
October 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM
half the poll is east coast teams and half west coast... that can't be right :D

89Hen
October 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
half the poll is east coast teams and half west coast... that can't be right :D
Clear west coast bias. xsmhx

dbackjon
October 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Clear west coast bias. xsmhx

:p

Grizzaholic
October 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM

So two years ago SUU should have been in the top 25 simply because they had the toughest schedule out there? Way to use backwards logic.

NorCalJack
October 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Teams that make the playoffs should be good enough to win a playoff game on the road. Which means they need to have at least one quality win. I would not want a team in based upon losing to tough teams.

UC Davis had Montana at home and lost. Guarantee you if the game was in Missoula it would have been ugly. Anthony Carter had 17 catches for UC Davis and you only scored 10 points? UC Davis had its chance and missed it in my opinion.

I watched that game and Montana looked off, but good teams find a way to win when they are not playing there best. Hats off to Montana.

UC Davis will be home for the playoffs. Mark it down.

lucchesicourt
October 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
NorCal Jack,
I don't mean to offend you. but it seems you know little about UCD. CHRIS Carter was the receiver, and we played Montana at MONTANA, and was ahead until the final minutes of a close game. And yes, we lost, but it was defenitely not a one sided affair. So, what you are saying is really pretty weak, as it seems you know little about our team. I am not saying anything about us not being ranked. We do not deserve to until we beat someone of note. However, I am asking that you get your facts right.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
NorCal Jack,
I don't mean to offend you. but it seems you know little about UCD. CHRIS Carter was the receiver, and we played Montana at MONTANA, and was ahead until the final minutes of a close game. And yes, we lost, but it was defenitely not a one sided affair. So, what you are saying is really pretty weak, as it seems you know little about our team. I am not saying anything about us not being ranked. We do not deserve to until we beat someone of note. However, I am asking that you get your facts right.

nudge nudge

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/ucda-m-footbl-sched.html

Grizzaholic
October 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
nudge nudge

You beat me to it.

GoAgs72
October 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Montana was at Davis this year. We had another very close game with Montana at Montana last year and it was not a blow-out.

MSUfan2010
October 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
NorCal Jack,

nudge nudge

Ouch. Guess you should know more about your team before you go off on someone xoopsx

ISUMatt
October 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Not sure if anyone has anymore information on this poll, but it looked pretty good so I thought I would post it. Came up when googling Championship Subdivision Top 25 so I thought what the heck.

2009 CS Top 25 Football Poll
Week 8 (10/26/2009)
1. Richmond Spiders
2. Montana Grizzlies
3. Southern Illinois Salukis
4. Villanova Wildcats
5. William & Mary Tribe
6. Elon Phoenix
7. South Dakota State Jackrabbits
8. New Hampshire Wildcats
9. Appalachian State Mountaineers
10. Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks
11. Northern Iowa Panthers
12. South Carolina State Bulldogs
13. Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens
14. Central Arkansas Bears
15. McNeese State Cowboys
16. Weber State Wildcats
17. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
18. Cal Poly Mustangs
19. Massachusetts Minutemen
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers
21. Jacksonville State Gamecocks
22. Eastern Washington Eagles
23. Holy Cross Crusaders
24. Liberty Flames
25. Albany Great Danes

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-top-25-football-polls/

If anyone has more information on the poll that would be cool too.

Are you really going to PRETEND you dont know where this came from???

Thumper 76
October 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Are you really going to PRETEND you dont know where this came from???

Does it really matter that much? Its a good poll.

Grizzaholic
October 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Does it really matter that much? Its a good poll.

The way I look at it is, the more FCS related info out there the better.xthumbsupx

TwinTownBisonFan
October 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
solid pollxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

blue4gold
October 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM
We lost 29-24 in Missoula last year. This year, we lost a complete heartbreaker at home to Montana. Statistically, we got 7 more first downs, nearly 100 more yards, and nearly 15 more minutes of possession, but the bottom line is we lost.

Should we crack the top 25? Probably. I'd say the 20-25 range right now, but the games against SUU and Cal Poly should really determine where we stand. If UC Davis wins out, we'll be 7-1 in FCS with the close loss (see stats below) to Montana.

Here are this year's stats against Montana:
http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/sept12.html

ngineer
October 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I agree. Poll would be alot more credible if issued on Monday. Too much influence from participants seeing everyone else's poll. Not really a poll, but an 'aggregate' of several.

skinny_uncle
October 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
It's better than a lot of polls I've seen.

lucchesicourt
October 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
We did play Montana at Montana in 2008 and lost 29-24 in the last minutes of the game.. That is the game I am talking about. Not this years game.

lucchesicourt
October 28th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
UC Davis............ 3 7 0 14 - 24
Montana............. 13 10 0 6 - 29
At Montana

Thumper 76
October 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
We did play Montana at Montana in 2008 and lost 29-24 in the last minutes of the game.. That is the game I am talking about. Not this years game.

So you tear into a poster over him using the correct stats from this year, making them the most relevant, while you just assume everyone should be thinking about the previous year, on a thread about polls from THIS year? xnonox Good Lord. And this years team doesn't have much to do with the results from last year, and I doubt that anybody would play Montana as tough in Missoula as they do at home. xcoffeex

Native
October 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
So you tear into a poster over him using the correct stats from this year, making them the most relevant, while you just assume everyone should be thinking about the previous year, on a thread about polls from THIS year? xnonox Good Lord. And this years team doesn't have much to do with the results from last year, and I doubt that anybody would play Montana as tough in Missoula as they do at home. xcoffeex

xeyebrowx xlolxxlolxxlolx xoopsx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM

See also: Eastern Washington University

grizzpaw
October 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM

every time i have watch a game the have been greatxthumbsupxxnodxxpeacex

Thumper 76
October 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM

I stand corrected. You guys always give them a heckuva fight in Missoula. Sorry bout that! But I do believe generally people would agree that Montana has a heck of a home field advantage at Wa-Griz.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 28th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I stand corrected. You guys always give them a heckuva fight in Missoula. Sorry bout that! But I do believe generally people would agree that Montana has a heck of a home field advantage at Wa-Griz.

I agree, Montana has quite the home field advantage!! Been there, experienced it. I wish our fans could get half as loud as theirs do.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Bump :D

SeattleGriz
October 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I agree. Poll would be alot more credible if issued on Monday. Too much influence from participants seeing everyone else's poll. Not really a poll, but an 'aggregate' of several.

Just because it comes out a day later, doesn't necessarily mean the voters are using other polls as their guide. That in and of itself doesn't make sense. Why would you start a poll, only to copy others?

UNHWildCats
October 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
the voting time frame is nearly the same, the difference is that CS doesnt have its tabulation automated like AGS. Once voting closes Chris needs to send the vote file to someone who runs the program to get the results, he then emails the results to Chris who posts them.

Other polls have zero influence on the CS poll.

Native
October 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
the voting time frame is nearly the same, the difference is that CS doesnt have its tabulation automated like AGS. Once voting closes Chris needs to send the vote file to someone who runs the program to get the results, he then emails the results to Chris who posts them.

I send my ballot on Sunday.

lucchesicourt
October 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I am just arguing that his statement that Montana would have blown UCD out in Montana is WRONG, and he has no facts to support such a statement. I, on the other hand only have 1 game that has been played at Montana and those are the only ACTUAL results available to anyone. Since the home and home was played at Davis this year his opinion about what the results would have been like hag the game been played in Montana is nothing more than his opinion, and is not based on ANY facts. He is entitled to any opinion he wants, but I argue (IMO) his opinion is WRONG, and I can support my opion a little better because of last years result. What does he have to support his opion? Nada!

Squealofthepig
October 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am just arguing that his statement that Montana would have blown UCD out in Montana is WRONG, and he has no facts to support such a statement. I, on the other hand only have 1 game that has been played at Montana and those are the only ACTUAL results available to anyone. Since the home and home was played at Davis this year his opinion about what the results would have been like hag the game been played in Montana is nothing more than his opinion, and is not based on ANY facts. He is entitled to any opinion he wants, but I argue (IMO) his opinion is WRONG, and I can support my opion a little better because of last years result. What does he have to support his opion? Nada!

Well, he did at least get his year right (and who was playing where) from the get-go. xpeacex

I agree that Montana does not blow UC Davis out at home, especially if UCDavis plays as well as they did at home. I think most objective Montana fans will quickly admit that they could have easily lost at Davis this year, and most objective FCS fans in general will add they probably SHOULD have lost (at least from the stats).

Good teams may well find ways to win on off days, but I also think they should give props to teams that play a helluva game against them, as UC Davis did this year (and last).

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Still needs to show many people voted and points. If not, it looks more like Pete's Weekly more than a 'poll'. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM

The voting ends in the same period.

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
So how many voters?xwhistlexxcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
October 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
So how many voters?xwhistlexxcoffeex

Sixty-two I believe.

ThreadStopper
October 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM
California?

One step at a time. At least they have dropped the Cal Davis thing!

panther25
October 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Still needs to show many people voted and points. If not, it looks more like Pete's Weekly more than a 'poll'. xthumbsupx

the 1-25 aren't enough to tell what the rankings are, you need points to make sure?

xconfusedx

clenz
October 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sixty-two I believe.
I think it is 62 or 66, but will likely go up as we opened up registration again due to the number of people hitting the requirements and wanting in. Our poll isn't automatically calculated because we have a different system than others use that we are testing. Adding of the points and ORV may come, but not until we are 100% sure it is working with 0 glitches...ever

Franks Tanks
October 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I think it is 62 or 66, but will likely go up as we opened up registration again due to the number of people hitting the requirements and wanting in. Our poll isn't automatically calculated because we have a different system than others use that we are testing. Adding of the points and ORV may come, but not until we are 100% sure it is working with 0 glitches...ever

Like 8 guys vote in the CS poll and 12 in the AGS poll. Who the hell cares anyway, that why we have a freakin playoff in FCS. Its gets decided on the field.

Grizzaholic
October 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Like 8 guys vote in the CS poll and 12 in the AGS poll. Who the hell cares anyway, that why we have a freakin playoff in FCS. Its gets decided on the field.

Don't knock the AGS poll.xoopsxxnonoxxnonoxxsmhx