PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State @ Furman

T-Dog
October 27th, 2009, 12:07 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/furm/graphics/whiteout-09-newv5.jpg

Kickoff is noon Saturday. Furman will be wearing all-white at home for I believe the first time ever.

As you can see in my sig, there's plenty of motivation for App to win. Also, App is 4-15 all time in Greenville (SC) and has never won by more than two scores.

Here's an article written about the rivalry, mainly the Bobby Lamb era, which has been haunted by App to say the least.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/278903-appalachian-state-vs-furman-a-hallowed-rivalry

Two factual errors in the story.

1) The 34-31 Furman win and the subsequent semifinal game was in 2005, not 2004.

2) There was no patch of ice. Martin slipped on the turf.

This is a big game for both teams. Furman needs a win to still be in the playoff hunt and App needs the win to remain in the SoCon title hunt and a possible seed.

Also, big props to the Mountaineer Marching Band who will attend the game (all 300ish of them) then leave afterward and go to Atlanta to play an exhibition at the Bands of America Super Regional at the Georgia Dome and share the field with the Marching Southerners of Jacksonville State at 10:30 pm.

Will Bobby Lamb quell the "FIRE BOBBY!" echoes from the Furman faithful? Will he finally get some peace vs App? Will App wear gold jerseys? Will the game be close as it usually is? What kinds of costumes will be seen?

We'll find out at high noon on the Witches Holiday.

KiddBrewer
October 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
wish it was on tv here :(

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Biggest game of the year so far.

JMU Newbill
October 27th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Well according to other threads, App St is "steamrolling" right now. Furman shouldn't even bother showing up.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Well according to other threads, App St is "steamrolling" right now. Furman shouldn't even bother showing up.

Some of us get carried away easily. I take Furman very seriously. If we lose this game, we need to win out to be relatively assured of making the playoffs. That would be tough to do with a road trip to Elon in a few weeks.

JMU Newbill
October 27th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Some of us get carried away easily. I take Furman very seriously. If we lose this game, we need to win out to be relatively assured of making the playoffs. That would be tough to do with a road trip to Elon in a few weeks.

Considering how many games this year you have been trailing in the second half, I wouldn't venture to call your performance "steam rolling" by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, you are winning games as of late, and that is all that matters. I wish JMU could say the same thing!

I'd venture to guess you win this one by 10, and eventually there will be a meaningful game in November against Elon for the SoCon title.

Best of luck!

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I don't think App has been "steamrolling", but I do think App is improving each week on both sides of the ball. If this trend continues (and key players stay healthy), I can see App peaking right as the playoffs start, and I like App's chances in the playoffs.

Right now it's 1 game at a time, and Furman always presents a challenge. I think App wins by 2 scores, but doesn't pull out to that margin until late in the 3rd quarter.

Edge316007
October 27th, 2009, 07:25 AM

If App loses this game, and wins out, don't they get the SoCon auto-bid? Assuming Elon also wins out (except the App game), they'd be tied at 7-1 in the conference with App holding the head to head win, but Elon would have the better overall record. Which is the first tiebreaker?

OL FU
October 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If App loses this game, and wins out, don't they get the SoCon auto-bid? Assuming Elon also wins out (except the App game), they'd be tied at 7-1 in the conference with App holding the head to head win, but Elon would have the better overall record. Which is the first tiebreaker?

Head to head and you are correct in your statements.

OL FU
October 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM
It is certainly gut check time for the Paladins. Word has it that the players are pretty down about the beating last week. So Bobby had better do a good coaching job and get there heads up. Even if we aren't playing for the SoCon and probably not even for the playoffs (since we would have to win out to get in)m there should be plenty of reason to get fired up for this game. ASU has owned us the last three to four years.

The question is can Bobby get them fired up to play like the 2007 Furman team who had nothing to play for but pride and a lot games at the end of the season. Or will it be like last year's team that had alot to play for and fell on their face against GSU and Wofford.

I think we will fair a little better defensively that GSU, but I don't think we will stop ASU often enough.

appst97
October 27th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Considering how many games this year you have been trailing in the second half, I wouldn't venture to call your performance "steam rolling" by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, you are winning games as of late, and that is all that matters. I wish JMU could say the same thing!

I'd venture to guess you win this one by 10, and eventually there will be a meaningful game in November against Elon for the SoCon title.

Best of luck!

644, 611, 712 yds total offense in the past 3 games. Please provide your definition of 'steamrollin'

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Kickoff is noon Saturday. Furman will be wearing all-white at home for I believe the first time ever.

App has never won by more than two scores.

The white out will be a big surrender flag. xnodx

App 44 Furman 21...no contest. It could be a bigger margin. Furman lost any self-respect last week by getting drubbed by Citidel 38-28. Furman is just not a good team. With no realistic hope for the playoffs, they will mail this one in soon after Appy's first two scores.

ASUG8
October 27th, 2009, 07:50 AM

App 44 Furman 21...no contest. It could be a bigger margin. Furman lost any self-respect last week by getting drubbed by Citidel 38-28. Furman is just not a good team. With no realistic hope for the playoffs, they will mail this one in soon after Appy's first two scores.

I like where your head's at, but I'll play it conservative and expect a really tight game until I'm proven otherwise. FU has certainly been inconsistent, but with their defense of Elon earlier I'm not ready to call this one over until the scoreboard reads 00:00.

appirishmen
October 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Best of luck!

dont listen to the dumb dumb who said we are steam rolling and we have the NC. he is an idiot. 99% of the fans understand how hard of a fight FU puts up. the team needs too focus each and every week if we want to make the playoffs.

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 08:12 AM
644, 611, 712 yds total offense in the past 3 games. Please provide your definition of 'steamrollin'

Against 3 doormats. xrolleyesx You do realize that NC Central got more points against Appy than they did against anyone but...Central Methodist. xlolx

That one side of the ball strategy didn't work out against a decent but not outstanding McNeese team. The ASU express will continue until they reach the playoffs.

Furman isn't a good team. Blowout.
Chatty is pitiful with their wins coming against Glenville State, Presby, Samford (another bottom feeder) and Woffy. Blowout.
Western Carolina's only win came against another cupcake. Blowout.
Elon's has zero wins against quality teams...their only win against a winning team was against Furman, who will go to .500 after their loss to ASU this weekend. Come to think of it, if ASU somehow loses to Elon (not likely), ASU will have zero quality wins. Still, an ASU 14-20 point win.

Seriously, with App's schedule, they win out and they win big. Nice bunch of scrimmages to work out any kinks before the playoffs. xcoffeex

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Against 3 doormats. xrolleyesx You do realize that NC Central got more points against Appy than they did against anyone but...Central Methodist. xlolx

That one side of the ball strategy didn't work out against a decent but not outstanding McNeese team. The ASU express will continue until they reach the playoffs.

Chatty is pitiful with their wins coming against Glenville State, Presby, Samford (another bottom feeder) and Woffy. Blowout.
Elon's has zero wins against quality teams...their only win against a winning team was against Furman, who will go to .500 after their loss to ASU this weekend. Come to think of it, if ASU somehow loses to Elon (not likely), ASU will have zero quality wins. Still, an ASU 14-20 point win.

Seriously, with App's schedule, they win out and they win big. Nice bunch of scrimmages to work out any kinks before the playoffs. xcoffeex

I heard the SEC Commissioner invited the CAA Champion to play against the SEC Champion for the BCS National Championship this year. Confirm or deny?

Oh, and 14 of NCCU's points were from App turnovers inside the 20.

biggie
October 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Just want the same present on my bday as I got last year against Woff. Defense needs to continue the improvement this week.

Wished any of my friends were interested in going and I'd be making the trip, oh well, sit with beer listening to the radio.

phillyAPP
October 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Cluck, you are on target today. Pretty well educated coming from Cluck U. App has won 5 in a row(18 straight Socon) but we are improving every week. We do have the athletes to play with anyone in FCS. The question is whether the kids perform if we make the playoffs? xcoffeex

phillyAPP
October 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Just want the same present on my bday as I got last year against Woff. Defense needs to continue the improvement this week.

Wished any of my friends were interested in going and I'd be making the trip, oh well, sit with beer listening to the radio.

HeyBiggie,

I might go. I live north of W-S. I would love to celebrate your B-day in Greenville. I will know more on Thursday. We would have to leave 6am on Saturday. I need some time to tailgate before noon game.

CID1990
October 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Furman has a good offense. Sorrells is a great QB. They pretty much moved at will on us until we got them figured out in the second half. Our secondary helped with some timely interceptions. Those were partly due to the fact that our coaching staff realized for the first time that the NCAA allows you to send more players at the QB than just the DL. One of them was overheard saying, "Turns out, there's this thing called a blitz, and sometimes it causes good quarterbacks to make bad decisions."

ASU has plenty of offense, but if Furman plays mistake free ball they will also have plenty of offense. If ASU's defense plays like it did last week, then it won't matter.

I see ASU by two scores if Furman's defense can get a few stops or ASU turns the ball over. Otherwise it will be a long day for the Furman University Christian Knights.

B&G
October 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Furman has a good offense. Sorrells is a great QB. They pretty much moved at will on us until we got them figured out in the second half. Our secondary helped with some timely interceptions. Those were partly due to the fact that our coaching staff realized for the first time that the NCAA allows you to send more players at the QB than just the DL. One of them was overheard saying, "Turns out, there's this thing called a blitz, and sometimes it causes good quarterbacks to make bad decisions."

ASU has plenty of offense, but if Furman plays mistake free ball they will also have plenty of offense. If ASU's defense plays like it did last week, then it won't matter.

I see ASU by two scores if Furman's defense can get a few stops or ASU turns the ball over. Otherwise it will be a long day for the Furman University Christian Knights.

Great??? I think that word is being used pretty loosely here.

GaSouthern
October 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
May the streets turn to gold and champagne fall from the heavens for OL FU

GO Furple!

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I heard the SEC Commissioner invited the CAA Champion to play against the SEC Champion for the BCS National Championship this year. Confirm or deny?

Oh, and 14 of NCCU's points were from App turnovers inside the 20.

My sources say...CONFIRM. xnodx But the CAA declined because we'd rather participate in a real playoff system that determines that champ. xthumbsupx

I don't think any objective App fan will disagree with what I've said so far. Your D will have to get better to win it all, but your O will keep you in any game and you will be a handful come playoff time. I for one never seriously thought you were in danger of missing the playoffs because the the Socon has been down lately and just doesn't have any depth. Elon has yet to face a real team...unless you count their drubbing at Wake.

The facts don't lie...you have been playing patsies. That's OK, the Lakers won a few championships while the Eastern Conference beat each other up. A ring is a ring.

biggie
October 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
HeyBiggie,

I might go. I live north of W-S. I would love to celebrate your B-day in Greenville. I will know more on Thursday. We would have to leave 6am on Saturday. I need some time to tailgate before noon game.
Cool. Let me know. If its only 2 of us I could drive (all my cars are only 2 door). Don't have tickets, but heard they should be available at the gate.

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM
My sources say...CONFIRM. xnodx But the CAA declined because we'd rather participate in a real playoff system that determines that champ. xthumbsupx

I don't think any objective App fan will disagree with what I've said so far. Your D will have to get better to win it all, but your O will keep you in any game and you will be a handful come playoff time. I for one never seriously thought you were in danger of missing the playoffs because the the Socon has been down lately and just doesn't have any depth. Elon has yet to face a real team...unless you count their drubbing at Wake.

The facts don't lie...you have been playing patsies. That's OK, the Lakers won a few championships while the Eastern Conference beat each other up. A ring is a ring.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say - but you act like ASU has played a D2 schedule so far. Is the SoCon better than the CAA THIS year? Absolutely not. Is it as bad as the Patriot League? Not even close.

Millwoch
October 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Can someone send BL a memo reminding him when he should actually go for 2, just in case he forgot?

I expect to see Appy outscore FU in this one. Can FU establish a run game? If they get behind again it may not happen. Starks made the FU D look horrible. I can't imagine how ugly Edwards could make them look. He is faster, has more field awareness, and is more accurate.

Aho_Old_Guy
October 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Appalachian-Fermin is one of those old-fashioned rivalry games where you can throw all that stuff out - especially down in SC. The Furple will bring their 'A' game and slug it out to the end.

Historically (hysterically? - other than EZU), this is the big "insert your own cliche here" for long-time Mountaineer-Paladin fans. The Appalachian old-timers have survived multiple beat-downs at the hands of those cheese-eating, wine-sipping paragons of virtue and goodness, and we know that we will get their best shot.

We wiil be happy to survive the White Out with a little Black Magic in a close game that will most likely go down to the wire.

AshevilleApp2
October 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM

A fair amount of truth there. I would contend that the middle to bottom of the SoCon has actually improved in the last couple of years. We definitely aren't as strong at the top as we were as recently as 2005.

jus10asu
October 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I've been thinking this all along...I feel like Elon is over rated...I'll give it to them though that they have a great passing game and D. But come on...Davidson and Presby. I'm just not convinced yet. But I could be wrong...we'll see come Nov. 14th

biggie
October 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I've been thinking this all along...I feel like Elon is over rated...I'll give it to them though that they have a great passing game and D. But come on...Davidson and Presby. I'm just not convinced yet. But I could be wrong...we'll see come Nov. 14th
Do believe most App fans consider ECU much better than Wake this year. But I won't call Eloan overrated yet, GSU did that to us.

SoCon48
October 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
May the streets turn to gold and champagne fall from the heavens for OL FU

GO Furple!

Whatever. That would make ASU's win over GSU look that much more ugly.

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Do believe most App fans consider ECU much better than Wake this year. But I won't call Eloan overrated yet, GSU did that to us.

I haven't paid much attention to ECU since the begining of the season. I pay marginal attention to Wake because of my proximity to Wake (and I went to the Wake-Maryland game); I don't think Wake is particularly good this year.

All that aside, I think comparing 2 team's losses to 2 different FBS opponents, played at different points in the season, doesn't prove a whole lot.

I think when Elon and App play in 2 weeks, App will still be the #1 Offense in the SoCon, and Elon will still be the #2 Offense in the SoCon. Elon will likely still have the #1 Defense in the SoCon; is it possible that App will have the #2 Defense? Currently it's #4, but it's been moving up in recent weeks.

Eaglegus2
October 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
If I had been paying more attention I would had loved to attend this game. Instead, I will be at the UGA/FL game. My step-daughter got us tickets for her mothers bday present.

It will be good to see Tebow play.

Good luck to both Teams - Furman & App State, it should be a good game.

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Go Furman!!

theasushow
October 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
these predictions remind me of the mcneese-asu game. everybody said asu would celebrate the opening of their brand new press box and locker room with a 21+ point drubbing of a injury depleted, overrated, young mcneese state team.
i think the defense has improved quite a bit since then, but i def. wouldnt right off furman just yet.

LarryBoy
October 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
The last time App State game to Paladin Stadium (07...and the Mountaineers had a pretty decent team that year), Furman was 3-4, including a unexplainable, tantrum inducing overtime loss to The Citadel. Furman had less to play for and had played pretty horridly all season. The mighty Mountaineers escaped with a 7-point victory.

If you really, really think that ASU is going to come to Greenville and walk all over Furman, just try and recall the last time such a thing happened. Have fun.

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
The last time App State game to Paladin Stadium (07...and the Mountaineers had a pretty decent team that year), Furman was 3-4, including a unexplainable, tantrum inducing overtime loss to The Citadel. Furman had less to play for and had played pretty horridly all season. The mighty Mountaineers escaped with a 7-point victory.

If you really, really think that ASU is going to come to Greenville and walk all over Furman, just try and recall the last time such a thing happened. Have fun.

FWIW, I expect a close, hard-fought game. The ASU defense played well last week against GSU, but they have shown sparks of "goodness" :o and then laid an egg the following week (i.e. Samford then WoCo.)

Saint3333
October 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
It never has. As someone else said ASU is 5-14 in Greenville with the largest victory being 13 points.

Furman will be ready and IMO may have been caught looking ahead last weekend against a Citadel team that is a different beast when they play in Charleston.

Black out the White out App Nation.

Waco Kid
October 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
This may be our last chance to face Bobby so we better make it a good one. No matter what the teams look like coming in I can't predict a blowout. It wouldn't shock me if we were able to get a big win, but I'm not going to expect it thats for sure.

Waco Kid
October 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I think you are pretty much on target, but our schedule isn't that much worse than anyone else. The SoCon is less top heavy this year, but we played 2 quality OOC teams this year. UD has 5 good teams then a bunch of weak competition so I don't think you can call us out too much.

The big difference is our defense finally acted like they cared about winning a game. I know GSU isn't an offensive machine but the effort from the defense was totally different last week. I don't think we have proven anything yet, but I like what I saw last week. We still have to perform like that for a few more weeks for me to totally buy in, but it looks like we are getting better.

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I think you are pretty much on target, but our schedule isn't that much worse than anyone else. The SoCon is less top heavy this year, but we played 2 quality OOC teams this year. UD has 5 good teams then a bunch of weak competition so I don't think you can call us out too much.

The big difference is our defense finally acted like they cared about winning a game. I know GSU isn't an offensive machine but the effort from the defense was totally different last week. I don't think we have proven anything yet, but I like what I saw last week. We still have to perform like that for a few more weeks for me to totally buy in, but it looks like we are getting better.

Hey, if ASU faced 5 good teams this year, one or two more solid teams early on, they'd be looking at playoff elimination. And that would have been a shame becuase I think they are a top 10 team and a threat to win it all if they stay at home. Playing in the SoCon this year allows a team like ASU a margin of error that JMU, nova, and Richmond didn't have this year. UD loaded up with a few cupcakes early...DSU and WCU were gimmies that allowed us to gain some experience with our new OC and QB. But two cupcakes early on is unusual for us...Furman's retreat forced that hand. xlolx

Now go kick Furman's arse!!! xnodx

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Elon's has zero wins against quality teams...their only win against a winning team was against Furman, who will go to .500 after their loss to ASU this weekend.

Want to check your facts again there buddy?

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Chatty is currently the owner of winning record. They could fall to .500 overall if they lose to U of Whee this weekend. GaSo moves to 1 game better than .500 with a win over Samford, but that's not until next weekend.

By Sunday morning, it is possible that Elon will not have beaten a team with a winning record.

ElonPride
October 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Chatty is currently the owner of winning record. They could fall to .500 overall if they lose to U of Whee this weekend. GaSo moves to 1 game better than .500 with a win over Samford, but that's not until next weekend.

By Sunday morning, it is possible that Elon will not have beaten a team with a winning record.

Interesting.......App hasn't won a game against any opponent with a winning record.

AppAlum2003
October 27th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Interesting.......App hasn't won a game against any opponent with a winning record.

GSU was 4 - 3 coming into last week's game. But, point taken.

Hey everyone, I just had an awesome idea! Instead of bantering back and forth about whose team is better why don't we have a playoff to decide?!?

I know - it's just crazy enough to work.

appmaj
October 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Interesting.......App hasn't won a game against any opponent currently with a winning record.

FIFY

Actually that is true...

Samford (3-4)
The Citadel (3-4)
NCCU (1-6)
Wofford (2-5)
GSU (4-4)

Elon:
Davidson (2-5)
Presby (0-7)
GSU (4-4)
Furman (4-3)
The Citadel (3-4)
Chattanooga (4-3)

ericsaid
October 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Sorry your teams 2-5.xbawlingx

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM

That's true, but I never said we did. My post was pointing out that Elon has beaten 2 teams with winning records, but by the end of the day Saturday that may no longer be true.

Neither ASU nor Elon have much of a SoS argument this year. The toughest opponent each will face this year is each other.

theasushow
October 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
That's true, but I never said we did. My post was pointing out that Elon has beaten 2 teams with winning records, but by the end of the day Saturday that may no longer be true.

Neither ASU nor Elon have much of a SoS argument this year. The toughest opponent each will face this year is each other.

ASU OPPONENTS COMBINED RECORD: 13-23
ELON OPPONENTS COMBINED RECORD: 17-26

not exactly much to write home about for either team. but hey, you play the schedule you are given.

CamelCityAppFan
October 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
ASU OPPONENTS COMBINED RECORD: 13-23
ELON OPPONENTS COMBINED RECORD: 17-26

not exactly much to write home about for either team. but hey, you play the schedule you are given.

Don't know where you got your figures, I've got Elon's combined opponent record as 21-30, and ASU's at 22-28.

But the point still stands.

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM
FIFY

Actually that is true...

Samford (3-4)
The Citadel (3-4)
NCCU (1-6)
Wofford (2-5)
GSU (4-4)

Elon:
Davidson (2-5)
Presby (0-7)
GSU (4-4)
Furman (4-3)
The Citadel (3-4)
Chattanooga (4-3)

Hey, you left McNeese St. off the App. list.....oh, I forgot, App lost to them:D

Waco Kid
October 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hey, you left McNeese St. off the App. list.....oh, I forgot, App lost to them:D

I guess we should have played Davidson instead to boost our egos.

ASUG8
October 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Some fanbases will be eating a lot of crow in a few weeks - just hoping it isn't us. xthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
October 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hey everyone, I just had an awesome idea! Instead of bantering back and forth about whose team is better why don't we have a playoff to decide?!?

I know - it's just crazy enough to work.

Nah...That will never work. I shun the very thought of the idea. xrotatehx

T-Dog
October 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
App will be wearing the gold jerseys for this game. Confirmed today by Coach Moore.

PhoenixMan
October 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I guess we should have played Davidson instead to boost our egos.

NCCU should have been enough to boost the egos.

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Want to check your facts again there buddy?

xlolx

Correction: Furman is the only team that Elon beat that has a winning record against D1 teams.

xwhistlex

theasushow
October 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Don't know where you got your figures, I've got Elon's combined opponent record as 21-30, and ASU's at 22-28.

yeah i added up the schedule from APPMAJ's post above, i assumed those were the correct record. oops

furman94
October 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
xlolx

Correction: Furman is the only team that Elon beat that has a winning record against D1 teams.

xwhistlex

Hey Cluck U. Get off the anti furman train. We have a good team, we just can't seem to win the big game. IMO, it is due to leadership. We held Elon to 19 points. Elon would whoop your sorry excuse for a team. So FU. xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Cluck U. Get off the anti furman train. We have a good team, we just can't seem to win the big game. IMO, it is due to leadership. We held Elon to 19 points. Elon would whoop your sorry excuse for a team. So FU. xthumbsupx

Hard to call Furman a good team. You do realize that you have beaten only Chatty, Samford, Presby, and Western Carolina...don't you? You will lose to ASU and Auburn. You should beat a dismal Wofford. That leaves you to measure yourselves against a GSU team that has been destroyed by ASU and SDSU. But if you are anything close to the team that just barely managed to squeak by the worst team in UD history, at home, then you are still a bad team.

Good teams win big games. Bad teams lose big games. That's how it goes. xnodx

And we would love to play Elon...that means we will make the playoffs a year early. xthumbsupx But since they also have zero quality wins they won't likely be making the trek to Newark because some other team will expose them in the first round.

Saint3333
October 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM

ASU fan trying really hard to... not... post...

49-21

Whoops, just couldn't help myself.xsmiley_wix

AppMan
October 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM

I tend to agree. If the Apps defense continues the solid play from last week and the offense steps on them early it could be another SoCon beat down for the Boys from Boone.

DLS
October 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
this has to be one of my favorite videos yet

http://vimeo.com/7232949

the gsu highlights at the end from 1999 to 2008 are awesome.

CrackerRiley
October 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
So I'm planning on attending this game.... and it's supposed to rain. I'm getting sick and tired of this crappy weather at every game I'm at!

OL FU
October 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hard to call Furman a good team. You do realize that you have beaten only Chatty, Samford, Presby, and Western Carolina...don't you? You will lose to ASU and Auburn. You should beat a dismal Wofford. That leaves you to measure yourselves against a GSU team that has been destroyed by ASU and SDSU. But if you are anything close to the team that just barely managed to squeak by the worst team in UD history, at home, then you are still a bad team.

And we would love to play Elon...that means we will make the playoffs a year early. xthumbsupx But since they also have zero quality wins they won't likely be making the trek to Newark because some other team will expose them in the first round.

First I wouldn't be so convinced that you will be in the playoffs:p

I think the problem here is words. Good, bad while there is a definition in my Funk and Wagnalls (showing my age) the words are pretty relative to most people. We certainly haven't lived up to the potential to be good. On the other hand, you are probably making a little too much of saying a team is good only if they played good teams. One of the worst years for the SoCon in my opinion was 2006. There was ASU (great), Furman (above average and ASU beat the snot out of us) and then everone else was pretty low on the shelf. That didn't stop ASU from winning a national championship that year. xeekx

appmaj
October 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM

and I left Wake off the Elon list...xeyebrowx

ElonPride
October 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM

You're correct, either way, both SOS look bad at the moment. At this point, Elon only has a single game left against a team with a winning record, and that's App.

phillyAPP
October 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Cluck, you are making me LMFAO !!! The truth is funny !

CLUCK .... CLUCK.....CLUCK....CLUCK xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

YoUDeeMan
October 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
(showing my age)

You are showing your age...but only because you forgot your reading glasses. :p

And we would love to play Elon...that means we will make the playoffs a year early. xthumbsupx

I'll stop ragging on Furman (after the post after this one). We'll see what they have this weekend. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
October 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
ASU fan trying really hard to... not... post...

49-21

Whoops, just couldn't help myself.xsmiley_wix

You're forgiven. The air is thinner up in Boone...that causes some problems. :D

Hidden in that jewel of wisdom was the implied message that not every team can win every big game. At this level we only have one team that wins the final game...that doesn't imply the rest of the teams who lost their last game are bad teams...especially since each year the runner up manages to win several big games to get there.

Furman...on the other hand, has not won a game of note this year.

Carry on.

SpeedkingATL
October 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
ASU has never enjoyed a blowout at Furman and I don't expect one on Saturday. I believe the game is to be played on natural turf (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it might be rainy and sloppy, negating what might be a speed advantage for ASU. Strange things happen in this rivalry and strange things happen on halloween.

Here's hopeing those gold (vivid yellow actually) jerseys blind the Furman players and the Apps take advantage.

Driving up from ATL to witness a close ASU victory.xthumbsupx

bigappfan10
October 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
You just dont' get it unless you're in the rivalry. Furman is getting better after a few years of rebuilding and while they slipped up last week, you have to realize it's hard to stay focused on a team you should beat on the road (Citadel) when you have a huge game the next week. It's just human nature. Furman is bringing the noise this weekend....a home game on Halloween-are you kidding me? I love my team and like to stay optimistic but am fully aware that when one team is jacked up and so ready to play, App could be playing lots of 'catch up' in the 2nd half.

FUwolfpacker
October 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I believe the game is to be played on natural turf (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it might be rainy and sloppy,

Definitely natural turf, but the field drains pretty well so it shouldn't be too sloppy. We had a lot of rain before the game a couple of weeks ago and the field was in great shape by game time. The field at FU has been as good as I've seen it in my 8 years as an FU fan. Not sure if they did anything different outside of the different paint scheme, but the grounds crew has been on the top of their game this year (even if our team hasn't been:(). Guess it could be rough it if rains throughout the game though.

I usually expect a close game b/w ASU and FU. That's almost all I've seen since I started at FU in 2002 (all 5 ASU/FU games in my 4 years there were outstanding and sometimes painful). I just don't know if FU has what it takes this year on defense to pull off another effort like they did verses Elon. If they could play close to that though, it should be another good game. The O is actually pretty good when it doesn't have to play from 14+ points down.

With all that said, we always seem to play well at home, so who knows. Either way, I'll be there...ready for another great day of football in Paladin Stadium xnodx

Safe travels to all the Apps coming down (or up) to Greenville.

ASUG8
October 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Looking forward to my first visit to Paladin Stadium - I hope ASU travels as well as we did to Wofford or el Cid- we practically took over the lower lot at WoCo and had a really good showing in Chucktown. PM me if you want to meet up pregame.

Waco Kid
October 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
NCCU should have been enough to boost the egos.

NCCU was equal to Presby. Davidson doesn't even offer schollarships to play... thats weak boys.

joecooll6
October 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
A lot of bubble fans rooting for Furman to hand ASU their third loss. Then they would have to win @ Elon to feel safe. Go Paladins!

ronpayne
October 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
You just dont' get it unless you're in the rivalry. Furman is getting better after a few years of rebuilding and while they slipped up last week, you have to realize it's hard to stay focused on a team you should beat on the road (Citadel) when you have a huge game the next week. It's just human nature. Furman is bringing the noise this weekend....a home game on Halloween-are you kidding me? I love my team and like to stay optimistic but am fully aware that when one team is jacked up and so ready to play, App could be playing lots of 'catch up' in the 2nd half.

In light of the comments, here's the last few seasons matchups:
Year Winner Score Location
2009: ????
2008: ASU 26-14 Boone, NC
2007: ASU 34-27 Greenville, SC
2006: ASU 40-7 Boone, NC
2005: Furman 34-31 Greenville, SC
2004: ASU 30-29 Boone, NC
2003: ASU 13-10 Greenville, SC

So, if history is true, or at least any indicator, ASU is likely to win, but not without a good fight by Furman. It will be close - here's hoping we bring our defense!

xreadxxrulesxxnodx

CamelCityAppFan
October 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM

So, if history is true, or at least any indicator, ASU is likely to win, but not without a good fight by Furman. It will be close - here's hoping we bring our defense!

xreadxxrulesxxnodx

Didn't App play Furman twice in 2005? Won the 2nd time?

biggie
October 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Didn't App play Furman twice in 2005? Won the 2nd time?
Si.

2005 (playoffs, semis): App 29-23 Boone, NC

WrenFGun
October 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
A lot of bubble fans rooting for Furman to hand ASU their third loss. Then they would have to win @ Elon to feel safe. Go Paladins!

App would miss the playoffs if they love to Furman and Elon. 7-4 in a weaker conference (or any conference) isn't cutting it this year, App or otherwise.

OL FU
October 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
App would miss the playoffs if they love to Furman and Elon. 7-4 in a weaker conference (or any conference) isn't cutting it this year, App or otherwise.

App would lose their minds if the love to Furmanxsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

SoCon48
October 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Furman would lose its mind if App put up 700 yds on them.xcoolx

KiddBrewer
October 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Furman - "oh well, shi* happens, its cause we dont have ingle martin, thats all."xsmiley_wix

jk

proasu89
October 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM

xnutsx WTF Ol man xlolx

apaladin
October 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Weather is now looking better: Just mostly cloudy 20% chance of a shower late and high in the mid 70's.

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I've lost my mind the last four yearsxrotatehx

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM
xnutsx WTF Ol man xlolx

OK, I make fun of WrenFGun's typo and now you think it is my typo. Should have left well enough alone since I am the typo king to startxlolx

proasu89
October 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
OK, I make fun of WrenFGun's typo and now you think it is my typo. Should have left well enough alone since I am the typo king to startxlolx

I saw Wren's also, just didn't catch the part where you were trying to be funnyxsmiley_wix

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I saw Wren's also, just didn't catch the part where you were trying to be funnyxsmiley_wix

Funny ain't my thing:o

Well occasionally maybexrotatehx

Rekdiver
October 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
This game makes me very nervous!!!!!!!!

Black Saturday
October 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Enjoy your Thanksgiving at home!

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Enjoy your Thanksgiving at home!

and extending the same good wishes to youxthumbsupx

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
OL FU - I'll meet you in the chapel lot - I brought the corkscrew and the brie....xsmiley_wix

dungeonjoe
October 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
OL FU - I'll meet you in the chapel lot - I brought the corkscrew and the brie....xsmiley_wix

It is bad enough that Furman has left the Baptist fold (according to some) but now you compound the slight by drinking wine in the CHAPEL lot and consume FRENCH cheese? That's about like Citdog standing in the parking lot of Johnson Hagood singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic with a "I love William T. Sherman" t-shirt over his confederate heart.

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
It is bad enough that Furman has left the Baptist fold (according to some) but now you compound the slight by drinking wine in the CHAPEL lot and consume FRENCH cheese? That's about like Citdog standing in the parking lot of Johnson Hagood singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic with a "I love William T. Sherman" t-shirt over his confederate heart.

You know me, DJ - I'm an equal opportunity offender. xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Brie worksxthumbsupx But I don't have a problem with Califonia winesxthumbsupx

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 11:06 AM

We have no problem drinking as long as there are no other baptists around:o:D

CamelCityAppFan
October 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
We have no problem drinking as long as there are no other baptists around:o:D

You can't swing an empty wine bottle in Boone without hitting a Baptist...xlolx

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
You can't swing an empty wine bottle in Boone without hitting a Baptist...xlolx

So that's what happened the last time I was in Boonexlolx

Black Saturday
October 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM

xreadxxrulesxxnodx

What happened in 2002?

AppAlum96
October 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Wasn't that the "miracle" year?

ASU 16-15, in Boone, right?

Appinator
October 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Yep, and we also had a playoff win thrown in there too.

CamelCityAppFan
October 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM

For the uninitiated, here is the footage from the Miracle on the Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcQ4irFl_s)

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
For the uninitiated, here is the footage from the Miracle on the Mountain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcQ4irFl_s)

Brings a tear to the eye everytime I see it.:D

OL FU
October 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Brings a tear to the eye everytime I see it.:D

Yeah me too:p

asknoquarter21
October 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know which brings more tears. that one or the JMU fumble where Pierre Banks wins the battle to the fumble to secure the win.

Both replays remind me of the games and I can't get past how amazing of a feeling.

CamelCityAppFan
October 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I don't know which brings more tears. that one or the JMU fumble where Pierre Banks wins the battle to the fumble to secure the win.

Both replays remind me of the games and I can't get past how amazing of a feeling.

Clear fall day in Ann Arbor, Mich. At the game with my dad, who graduated from Michigan in 1959. Corey Lynch blocks a field goal as time expires. Cheeseburger at the joint my dad ate at as a student, picture of him in front of his old dorm.

Best. Day. Ever.

joecooll6
October 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Totally agree, that's what I was saying. Go Paladins!

APP SHOOTER
November 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM
I dont post here much, but to all the furman fans on here it was my first time to the school.I have to say the school was nice for the eye.The fans, people were nice and you have a very cool mascot. Also thanks for having the tunnel set up and the big tents set up in the other end zone they made for a great place to get out of the down pours to protect my camera gear, good luck the rest of the year.xthumbsupx

AppMan
November 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
It is bad enough that Furman has left the Baptist fold.

Well, their band did play Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday.

Saint3333
November 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
I found it interesting that the majority of Furman players left the field while ASU's stayed at mid-field to pray after the game.

B&G
November 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Did anyone see the guy on the visitors side with the "Fire Bobby Lamb" paper bag on his head? He became pretty popular by the end of the game.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Did anyone see the guy on the visitors side with the "Fire Bobby Lamb" paper bag on his head? He became pretty popular by the end of the game.

We saw him on the ASU side after the game and thought it was an ASU fans idea of a costume.....wrong......he had on Furman gear with the paper bag. Pretty good graphics too!

YoUDeeMan
November 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Hey, DD, do I get that red chicklet taken back? xlolx

Oh, never mind, it turns out that I was wrong. Only half the Furman fans surrendered. The other half didn't bother showing up. xrolleyesx

Yup, this is a bit late, but I was sunning myself in the Carribean. I put a conch shell to my ear and instead of an ocean sound I heard, "Fire Bobby Lamb!" :D

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Well you didn't give me a red chicklet xthumbsupx But I will pat my self on the back for that predictionxsmiley_wix