PDA

View Full Version : what happens if

kirkblitz
October 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
what happens next year if a big south team that wins the conference goes 4-7 over all, do they still get the autobid into the playoffs even if they only have 4 wins or can the committee deny them entrance??( yes i know its unlikely but it is possible)

BigSouthFB
October 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say i'd have to put some people on this board on suicide watch. and go ice skating in hell, and try to keep the pigs from flying over to my bird feeder.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't the entire conference have to go 4-4 in order to have this situation play out? Otherwise SOMEONE would go 5-3.

kirkblitz
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
we only play 6 big south games.

so we could lose 5 ooc games
lose 2 in conf games
win 4 conf games
win the tie breaker for the title

4-7 playoff bid rejected by committee?

EmeryZach
October 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
No. They would have to be in I believe. An auto bid is an auto bid.

crusader11
October 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Lafayette was 6-5 I think a few years ago when they played UMASS in the first round. Actually gave the Minutemen a decent game too.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Emery Zach is 100% correct.

blukeys
October 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
what happens next year if a big south team that wins the conference goes 4-7 over all, do they still get the autobid into the playoffs even if they only have 4 wins or can the committee deny them entrance??( yes i know its unlikely but it is possible)

Some of us would say, I TOLD YOU SO!!!

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
It would be really depressing if a team like that ever won the NC.

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
A year or two back a team with a losing record made the NCAA B-ball tourney by winning their conference tourney, so yes the champs go even with a losing record.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
we only play 6 big south games.

so we could lose 5 ooc games
lose 2 in conf games
win 4 conf games
win the tie breaker for the title

4-7 playoff bid rejected by committee?

As others have already stated, an autobid is an autobid.

An ambitious out-of-conference schedule with a couple of money games would not be a bad strategy for a stronger team in a smaller, weaker autobid conference.

Not as risky as a team from a larger power conference, such as Weber, scheduling two FBS games.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
You mean to tell me that a 4-7 team can get hot and win the FCS Football tourney? Highly unlikely but if that ever happens, that will just blow up all traditional notions of knowing which team is "good" and "bad".

BTW: I believe that would be bad for the FCS.

g-webb1994
October 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Reminds me of the University of South Florida in hoops one year back in the 1980's...they finished the regular season something like 4-23, ended up going to the Sun Belt tourney final and nearly won the thing.

An auto-bid is an auto-bid, no matter the overall record.