PDA

View Full Version : SIU QB Dieker Done for the Year

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4596822

They say 6 weeks in the article. If SIU has an adequate backup, maybe Dieker makes a playoff appearance.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. If so, mods please delete.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Can an SIU fan chime in on the backup? This looks like a serious blow.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well this isn't good for the Salukis. xsmhx

Thunderstruck84
October 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
That's a shame if it is true. They're in pretty good shape for a playoff bid though anyway. SDSU on the road will be a tall order, especially without their best QB but Missouri St at home is the only other game left that won't be a blowout Saluki win and I'd like them in that game even with a backup at QB.

This puts a serious damper on their National Championship contention though.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I thought they pretty much knew this a few days ago? Did something change? Were they expecting him back?

MSUBear42
October 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Can an SIU fan chime in on the backup? This looks like a serious blow.

I'm not too well versed, but I believe the guy is a FBS transfer?

2008: Transferred from Army in October...Redshirted... Named to the MVFC Academic Honor Roll.

High School: Indiana's Mr. Football and Gatorade Player of the Year in 2007....Threw for 2,400 yards and 22 touchdowns with only five interceptions as a senior and led his team to a 15-0 record and state championship...Also rushed for 1,600 yards and 34 TDs as a four-year varsity starter, three of which were at quarterback.

Eight Legger
October 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
From the SIU site: "McIntosh (the backup) transferred to SIU from Army in October 2008. He is from Evansville, Ind. and was named Indiana's 2007 Mr. Football and Gatorade Player of the Year."

Saluki09
October 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I saw him play on Saturday and I've also talked to other people at Salukitalk... he is a lot more mobile than Dieker, though his arm is apparently not as strong. People at Salukitalk are also saying his mobility is more in line with what Dale Lennon wants the offense to become in the future. Other than that, we will just have to see. He played solid against YSU and will have more time to warm up at Indiana State before he really has to be tested at SDSU (who is also on their backup quarterback).

fltheadgriz
October 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
What? Someone transfer out of Army? I thought they would have to put in some time in the service.

Houndawg
October 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
McIntosh took over in the 1st quarter with the score 0-0, and led the offense on five scoring drives against a very physical defense that was loaded up to stop Deji Karim. He looked poised and he is athletic. He runs better than Dieker (who looks like a condor trying to take off when he's running) but doesn't have as much arm; most FCS QBs don't. The o-line made things a little easier for him as they handled YSU's d-line pretty well, which is saying something, YSU's d-line is every bit as physical as NDSU's or UNI's and they could beat UNI on a good night. What impressed me most about McIntosh is that when flushed from the pocket, he scrambles to throw first, not to run. As with Dieker last year we'll probably need to shorten the playbook for a few games.

soccerguy315
October 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
What? Someone transfer out of Army? I thought they would have to put in some time in the service.

I'm pretty sure you can walk anytime during your first 2 years with no commitment. Once you set foot in the classroom in your 3rd year, you are in for the next 7 (2 years school, 5 years after graduation)

fltheadgriz
October 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Oh okay...thanks for explaining that one for me. Didn't know that one.

SO ILLmatic
October 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
As previously stated, Dieker will have a chance to return if we make a deep run in the playoffs. Coach Lennon & the players seem to think some time around the Semi-Finals. The matter of the injury is that it's on Dieker's non-throwing arm. So that's a plus!

McIntosh will get a few more reps under is belt this week @ Terre Haute. The backup is now Bobby Brenneisen. Bobby is more of a passer than Paul. Not sure if they would need to operate under a 2-QB system, but I feel both have a level of confidence behind them based on the previous experiences at the position.

On the comment of hurting our chances to have an impact in the playoffs. My response to that is our D is still playing great and we have one of the front-runners for the Payton Award, in Karim the Dream, still playing top notch football.

I think the Salukis will be alright and they'll be ready to fight it out for the conference championship on the 7th.

89rabbit
October 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I saw him play on Saturday and I've also talked to other people at Salukitalk... he is a lot more mobile than Dieker, though his arm is apparently not as strong. People at Salukitalk are also saying his mobility is more in line with what Dale Lennon wants the offense to become in the future. Other than that, we will just have to see. He played solid against YSU and will have more time to warm up at Indiana State before he really has to be tested at SDSU (who is also on their backup quarterback).

Not so fast my friend:

http://www.keloland.com/Sports/NewsDetail7984.cfm?Id=91809

Crawford Expected Back For Jacks

http://www.keloland.com/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/28624.jpg

SDSU starting quarterback Ryan Crawford is expected to return to the lineup when the Jacks play at Youngstown State on Saturday.

Crawford has missed the last three games with a knee injury. He was expected to be out at least four weeks, but coach John Stiegelmeier says that as long as Crawford's knee holds up in practice this week, he'll get the start. . . . (read more)

UNHFootballAlum
October 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM

You have until the end of your second year to transfer before you are fully committed to the Army

WrenFGun
October 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
If I recall correctly there was a lot of talk about him when UNH went to Army, and how he wasn't playing and wasn't happy about it. He's apparently pretty well-regarded and I'd expect him to be pretty good. I think SIU's team isn't terrible QB driven, at least in the sense that I don't think Dieker is any kind of irreplaceable talent (I feel similarily about Toman in UNH). I'd expect the ship to keep on going with the replacement.

Hoyadestroya85
October 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If I recall correctly there was a lot of talk about him when UNH went to Army, and how he wasn't playing and wasn't happy about it. He's apparently pretty well-regarded and I'd expect him to be pretty good. I think SIU's team isn't terrible QB driven, at least in the sense that I don't think Dieker is any kind of irreplaceable talent (I feel similarily about Toman in UNH). I'd expect the ship to keep on going with the replacement.

That's because Stan Brock stupidly tried to run a pro style offense at Army.. Had he stuck with the option instead of that abortion of an attempt at an offense, Army would be in better shape.