18. Cal Poly Mustangs 4-3 970 20
19. Massachusetts Minutemen 4-3 866 14
20. Eastern Illinois Panthers 6-2 798 25
21. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 5-2 703 24
22. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 4-3 689 13
23. Liberty Flames 5-2 666 23
24. Colgate Raiders 7-1 509 17
25. Prairie View A&M Panthers 5-1 269 NR
Others receiving votes: Eastern Washington 240, Florida A&M 228, Lafayette 194, Eastern Kentucky 87, UC Davis 62, Albany 58, Harvard 46, Butler 41, Montana State 40, Penn 39, Missouri State 37, Central Connecticut State 32, Rhode Island 24, Brown 23, Gardner-Webb 23, Grambling 23, Tennessee State 20, Furman 15, Northern Colorado 15, Southern Utah 15, Morgan State 11, Jacksonville 10, James Madison 10, Old Dominion 10, Southeastern Louisiana 10, Texas State 7, Lehigh 5, Drake 4, Austin Peay 3, Tennessee Tech 2, Youngstown State 2, Alabama State 1, Dayton 1, Georgia Southern 1, Southern 1, Tennessee-Martin 1, The Citadel 1, Wofford 1.

As of October 26, 2009, at 01:52 PM ET

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

3rd Coast Tiger
October 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
That's great! xthumbsupx

So where are you MEACers posting since "The incident"?

bosshogg
October 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
we post on our own site, www.scstatefans.com

that has been our main site since its creation. it was originally built in response to a previous meacfan.com shutdown.

its the main place most of our hardcore fans post...

feel free to stop by..

TexasTerror
October 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Congrats PV!

You guys moved to 19 or 20 in my poll this week.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats PV!

You guys moved to 19 or 20 in my poll this week.

I have them at 20 as well.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
That's great! xthumbsupx

So where are you MEACers posting since "The incident"?
Here, www.bluedeathvalley.com, I check out www.onnidan.com too.

But this is getting kinda serious. The page has been down for over a week. I know ms. Alpha72 is busy with her job but there are others who manage the site. What gives?

Native
October 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Highly doubtful that Prairie View could beat any of the other "Top 25," or Eastern Washington, Florida A&M, UC Davis or Montana State. xoopsx

No schedule, no love.

footballer23
October 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I know this thread is about Prairie View, but I was looking at who's getting votes... Can someone explain to me why Northern Colorado has 15 people voting for them? I do believe that they are 2-6...

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
BLIND RESUME TASTE TEST

Sep 5 - W vs. Texas Southern, 17-7
Sep 12 - L at New Mexico St, 18-21
Sep 19 - Open
Sep 26 - Open
Oct 3 - W vs. Grambling St, 35-32
Oct 10 - W at Alabama State, 24-10
Oct 17 - W vs. Miss Valley St, 38-0
Oct 22 - W at Southern U, 16-14

or

Sep 5 - W vs. Western Oregon, 35-14
Sep 12 - L at California, 7-59
Sep 19 - W vs. Northern Colorado, 16-0
Sep 26 - W at Sacramento St, 56-30
Oct 3 - W at Idaho State, 38-3
Oct 10 - L vs. Weber State, 13-31
Oct 17 - L at Montana, 34-41
Oct 24 - W vs. Montana State, 35-24

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Highly doubtful that Prairie View could beat any of the other "Top 25," or Eastern Washington, Florida A&M, UC Davis or Montana State. xoopsx

No schedule, no love.

Nope. xnonono2x

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM

No schedule, no love.

Quick, give me the lotto #s for this Wed's pick-6! :D

We'll never know unless we compete w/ them, now isn't that right? I agree w/ the 'no schedule, no love' stuff. Doesn't matter to us diehard Panthers anyway. We're on a mission and our mission right now isn't to prove lol ourselves to a committee in a playoff system because our conference doesn't support it anyway. :D xthumbsupxxpeacex

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
BLIND RESUME TASTE TEST

Sep 19 - Open
Sep 26 - Open

or

As valid as your points are, can't we just sit back and "reward" the Panthers for the season they are having so far. "weak" or "strong", to this team to be undefeated in their conference coming from where they were a few years ago and the resources they receive is great. They aren't going to make the playoffs so stop trying to rain on their day in the sun.

Their program needs the publicity and we shouldn't deny them as such. Its not like they are 2-5 getting votes in these polls.

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
As valid as your points are, can't we just sit back and "reward" the Panthers for the season they are having so far. "weak" or "strong", to this team to be undefeated in their conference coming from where they were a few years ago and the resources they receive is great. They aren't going to make the playoffs so stop trying to rain on their day in the sun.

Their program needs the publicity and we shouldn't deny them as such. Its not like they are 2-5 getting votes in these polls.

I'll gladly congratulate the PVA&M folks for turning that program around, but I will never do it at the expense of other teams with better achievments. xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
October 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
BLIND RESUME TASTE TEST

Sep 19 - Open
Sep 26 - Open

or

Latter any day of the week.

bjtheflamesfan
October 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
the fact that Prairie View can go from the worst team in I-AA/FCS football 9and owner of the longest losing streak in history to being discussed as to whether or not they deserve to be top 25 is quite a leap IMho

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'll gladly congratulate the PVA&M folks for turning that program around, but I will never do it at the expense of other teams with better achievments. xpeacex

But that is just it. How are we sure that ANY team is more worthy than the other? All these eye-ball tests, and other things we use to determine who is better outside from these teams playing each other are flawed and we will never be absolutely sure if the team we think is more worthy is actually worthy.

BTW: PVA&M will probably drop out the polls if the Leopards keep winning.xwhistlex

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
But that is just it. How are we sure that ANY team is more worthy than the other? All these eye-ball tests, and other things we use to determine who is better outside from these teams playing each other are flawed and we will never be absolutely sure if the team we think is more worthy is actually worthy.

BTW: PVA&M will probably drop out the polls if the Leopards keep winning.xwhistlex

Strength of schedule
Results
On-field evaluation

None of those criteria put PVA&M in the top 25.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Quick, give me the lotto #s for this Wed's pick-6! :D

We'll never know unless we compete w/ them, now isn't that right? I agree w/ the 'no schedule, no love' stuff. Doesn't matter to us diehard Panthers anyway. We're on a mission and our mission right now isn't to prove lol ourselves to a committee in a playoff system because our conference doesn't support it anyway. :D xthumbsupxxpeacex

Point well taken. No disrespect intended to the Prairie View program. Loved the SWAC when we were there a few years back.

Congrats to the Panthers!

My only point is that the voters who have them in the top 25 are knuckleheads.

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Point well taken. No disrespect intended to the Prairie View program. Loved the SWAC when we were there a few years back.

No hard feelings Native and you're certainly correct that some of the voters are knuckleheads. I would've voted us #1. xlolxxreadx

Aside: As things stand currently, 19 of 22 starters off the current team return fall 2010. ;) (if all goes well and all are healthy)

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Strength of schedule
Results
On-field evaluation

None of those criteria put PVA&M in the top 25.

Strength of Schedule is based off the perception of teams and their past performances.

For results, they are 5-2 and took an FBS team down to the wire.

And for their on-field evaluation depends on the person because just as someone can say they suck, another person can say that they can challenge Richmond & Montana.

Just let em have their shine this week. I am pretty sure if Albany were in that slot and others were challenging their validity, you would be defending them till the cows come home. They also have the benefit of playing on ESPN

BTW: If they were ranked, which I think they should be in the discussion for being just as Prarie View, they should be praised as well.

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Strength of Schedule is based off the perception of teams and their past performances.

And for their on-field evaluation depends on the person because just as someone can say they suck, another person can say that they can challenge Richmond & Montana.

Just let em have their shine this week. I am pretty sure if Albany were in that slot and others were challenging their validity, you would be defending them till the cows come home. They also have the benefit of playing on ESPN

BTW: If they were ranked, which I think they should be in the discussion for being just as Prarie View, they should be praised as well.

Agreed. xthumbsupx

Congrats PVA&M.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Please tell us why do you think they are knuckleheads?

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM

I'd give it up and save bandwidth WCA. Your arg prolly falls on deaf ears who only know "0-80 PVAMU." That's fine. That's their right if they're taking past performance into account.

But I'd dare any squad to line up across from us. :) Have your ppl call our ppl @ 936-857-3311 and speak w/ our athl dir. We'll be looking for one addt'l game next fall outside of the purported tilt w/ SHSU (it's still being worked out from what I understand). Talk is very, very, very cheap. xrulesxxreadx

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'd give it up and save bandwidth WCA. Your arg prolly falls on deaf ears who only know "0-80 PVAMU." That's fine. That's their right if they're taking past performance into account.

But I'd dare any squad to line up across from us. :) Have your ppl call our ppl @ 936-857-3311 and speak w/ our athl dir. We'll be looking for one addt'l game next fall outside of the purported tilt w/ SHSU (it's still being worked out from what I understand). Talk is very, very, very cheap. xrulesxxreadx

Heck We need to hook up again ASAP! A&T & PVA&M in Greensboro 2010!

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Heck We need to hook up again ASAP! A&T & PVA&M in Greensboro 2010!

Yeh.... I don't know man. lol We saw where y'all were up and coming so what A&T is doing now isn't a surprise. We anticipated your success and now it's coming to fruition. xreadx

I wish things had gone better w/ the L.A. deal out west. That could've been something awfully special.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
sidebar: PV is 5 - 1 and is undefeated against FCS competition.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeh.... I don't know man. lol We saw where y'all were up and coming so what A&T is doing now isn't a surprise. We anticipated your success and now it's coming to fruition. xreadx

I wish things had gone better w/ the L.A. deal out west. That could've been something awfully special.

As much as I would LOVE to see us play in the City of Angels, my HOMETOWN, it costs way too much to fly that many people out and it was a logistical nightmare for the Aggies to do so as well.

But I know we have an open date and with the divisional break-up in the not too distance future, **KNOCKS ON WOOD**, we can definitely set up an home & home.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the Clarification.

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Congrats to them, but so is Butler.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Congrats to them, but so is Butler.

But we're talking about the bottom of the poll, here. At least Prairie View has a decently high Sagarin Rating (30). Butler's rating is 231.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Please tell us why do you think they are knuckleheads?

There is no SWAC team with a single quality victory over a top 30 FCS team. To rank a SWAC team in the FCS top 20, you have to overlook more than a DOZEN teams with higher Sagarin ratings and more than THIRTY teams with higher Massey power ratings. That is the equivalent of me ranking all nine Big Sky teams in the top 10.

The power ratings are flawed, but they are not off by two standard deviations.

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
But we're talking about the bottom of the poll, here. At least Prairie View has a decently high Sagarin Rating (30). Butler's rating is 231.

*cough* *cough*

Native? xconfusedx Care to elaborate?

Native
October 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Prairie View's Sagarin ranking this week among all Division I teams is 147. When you remove the FBS ("I-A") teams ranked ahead of the Panthers, they are 33d among 125 FCS ("I-AA") teams. Butler is 115th.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm

PVA&M's Sagarin "predictor" rating is 50th among FCS teams, meaning that Sagarin's computer thinks the Panthers would lose to 49 more highly rated teams on a neutral field. Massey's "power" rating ranks Prairie View 54th among FCS teams.

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

No doubt in my mind that Prairie View could beat non-schollie Butler.

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Prairie View would beat Colgate, I'll tell you that much!

Native
October 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Prairie View would beat Colgate, I'll tell you that much!

Maybe so! This week's Sagarin predictor ratings give Colgate an insignificant 0.85 point advantage. Massey's "power" ratings prognosticate a slightly greater advantage of 2.21 points.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe so! This week's Sagarin predictor ratings give Colgate an insignificant 0.85 point advantage. Massey's "power" ratings prognosticate a slightly greater advantage of 2.21 points.

I would not place any money on the outcome of that match-up, if they played. xwhistlex

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
When it comes to polling however, it's an inexact science. Seven of the teams rated ahead of PV have three or more losses. So it goes back to what I stated before: It depends on your philosophy; do you reward successful seasons, difficult scheduling or great games? When your last choices are down to FAMU, PVAMU, EWU, Youngstown State, Missouri State, Lafayette, Montana State, Holy Cross and Colgate; how would you order them?

My guess is the bottom 5 will fluctuate wildly. In my individual case, I ranked PVAMU after the Grambling game and they haven't lost yet. I'm not going to downgrade a team that doesn't lose. They won in Baton Rouge which is difficult SWAC or not.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
When it comes to polling however, it's an inexact science. Seven of the teams rated ahead of PV have three or more losses. So it goes back to what I stated before: It depends on your philosophy; do you reward successful seasons, difficult scheduling or great games? When your last choices are down to FAMU, PVAMU, EWU, Youngstown State, Missouri State, Lafayette, Montana State, Holy Cross and Colgate; how would you order them?

My guess is the bottom 5 will fluctuate wildly. In my individual case, I ranked PVAMU after the Grambling game and they haven't lost yet. I'm not going to downgrade a team that doesn't lose. They won in Baton Rouge which is difficult SWAC or not.

I could see your point if you were jumping PVA&M over 4 or 5 teams, but jumping the Panthers over 30 teams is absurd. Using your system, we might as well jump Butler along with Prairie View.

Panther88
October 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I could see your point if you were jumping PVA&M over 4 or 5 teams, but jumping the Panthers over 30 teams is absurd. Using your system, we might as well jump Butler along with Prairie View.

Why not jump Butler w/ them Native? xconfusedx

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I didn't jump anyone. I've been voting PVAMU into my Top-25 for weeks. I think they are having a successful season against their schedule. I don't include Butler because they've played three games against Division III schools. As they play more FCS teams and win, their stock will go up.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I didn't jump anyone. I've been voting PVAMU into my Top-25 for weeks. I think they are having a successful season against their schedule. I don't include Butler because they've played three games against Division III schools. As they play more FCS teams and win, their stock will go up.

To rank Prairie View in the Top 20, you have to jump at least 33 teams with better Massey power ratings. THIRTY-THREE!

Not only does PVAMU not have a single victory over a top 25 team, they have no victories over any of those 53 FCS teams with a better Massey power rating. Not one. xoopsx

CONGRATS on a great season! xthumbsupx I am all for a successful season at the level being played, but not for jumping 33 stronger teams in the rankings. xthumbsupx

Native
October 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Why not jump Butler w/ them Native? xconfusedx

Hey, why not jump my 9-0 high school team? xlolx

Ooops! They don't have a quality win over a top 50 FCS team either. xeyebrowx

Go...gate
October 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Congratulations to Prairie View!

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think Prairie View should be in the top 25, but I'm not voting. That should not take away from the great season they are having. Congrats to the PV folks on their 180 with the program.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM
To rank Prairie View in the Top 20, you have to jump at least 33 teams with better Massey power ratings. THIRTY-THREE!

Not only does PVAMU not have a single victory over a top 25 team, they have no victories over any of those 53 FCS teams with a better Massey power rating. Not one. xoopsx

I am all for self esteem and a successful season at the level being played, but not for jumping 33 teams.

It's amazing how looking at different ratings in different ways can give different results. I normally don't use the Massey ratings; but let's examine them. You referenced the power ratings; which I assume includes bias. But if you use the BCS formula of those same ratings (unaffected by bias) Prairie View magically jumps into the Top 25.

My voting of PV's at 20 is more a function of them not losing; the teams in the last five spots have continued to lose against their schedule, whereas PV has not. In the case of impressive wins, like EIU over JSU; I've reacted accordingly. Everyone else can/must win their way to the top by winning. The coaches/ADs who vote in the other poll probably feel a similar way.

Finally, Prairie View does not have a top-25 win; but neither does Elon, App State, Northern Iowa, Liberty, Lafayette, or UCA. We can certainly agree to disagree on this one.

SU Jag
October 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Congrats to pv. Its simply amazing to see where that program has come from and where they are now.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
It's amazing how looking at different ratings in different ways can give different results. I normally don't use the Massey ratings; but let's examine them. You referenced the power ratings; which I assume includes bias. But if you use the BCS formula of those same ratings (unaffected by bias) Prairie View magically jumps into the Top 25.

My voting of PV's at 20 is more a function of them not losing; the teams in the last five spots have continued to lose against their schedule, whereas PV has not. In the case of impressive wins, like EIU over JSU; I've reacted accordingly. Everyone else can/must win their way to the top by winning. The coaches/ADs who vote in the other poll probably feel a similar way.

Finally, Prairie View does not have a top-25 win; but neither does Elon, App State, Northern Iowa, Liberty, Lafayette, or UCA. We can certainly agree to disagree on this one.

We can indeed agree to disagree. xthumbsupx

But I agree with you about rewarding teams for significant wins. I, too, rewarded EIU for beating Jacksonville State.

I also view all teams without quality wins, including the ones you listed, with a great deal of skepticism, not just Prairie View.

Panther88
October 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM
We can indeed agree to disagree. xthumbsupx

But I agree with you about rewarding teams for significant wins. I, too, rewarded EIU for beating Jacksonville State.

I also view all teams without quality wins, including the ones you listed, with a great deal of skepticism, not just Prairie View.

Hogwash. :D But in the end, it doesn't matter to most of us. We're playing for a bigger prize right now. :)

Good luck w/ your "ratings" and your "playoffs." lol

Native
October 27th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Hogwash. :D But in the end, it doesn't matter to most of us. We're playing for a bigger prize right now. :)

Good luck w/ your "ratings" and your "playoffs." lol

"Hogwash?" What do you mean?

Have your read what I have said about UNI and ASU in other threads?

EIU was not on my ballot last week, but after beating Jacksonville State, it is on my ballot this week.

What is the "bigger prize" you are playing for? You don't like the FCS playoff system? What do you propose, a 64-team playoff system for football?

Bigmoneymike
October 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Good for PV!

Native
October 29th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Mr. C,

Thanks for the PM. Sorry you did not like my post. Yes, I have seen PVAMU play, in the flesh at a home game, and I have seen most of the rest of the SWAC in person as well, and all of the SWAC on TV and the internet.

Prairie View is a good team. They are better than probably 80 or 90 FCS teams! xthumbsupx

But for sure they are not better than 20 FCS teams, and they are probably not better than 30 or 35 FCS teams.

I hope the Panthers do get a chance to play a top 20 team.

Got a beef? Spell it out! Make case! Why hand out a cowardly red chicklet? I did not break any TOS.

DEX
October 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
PV isn't going to cost anyone a playoff spot or affect seeding so please let them have their moment. Their resurgence is one of the best stories in NCAA sports. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
October 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
PV isn't going to cost anyone a playoff spot or affect seeding so please let them have their moment. Their resurgence is one of the best stories in NCAA sports. xthumbsupx

No question there.

When they beat Grambling and Southern over the last few weeks, it was a huge leap forward for their program. The Grambling win is what put them in my top 25 and they have not lost since, giving me no reason to drop them from my poll...

If they win the SWAC West and advance to the title game, would have a hard time dropping them - period.

iceman4221
October 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
No question there.

When they beat Grambling and Southern over the last few weeks, it was a huge leap forward for their program. The Grambling win is what put them in my top 25 and they have not lost since, giving me no reason to drop them from my poll...

If they win the SWAC West and advance to the title game, would have a hard time dropping them - period.

Now, that's whats up!!! xthumbsupx