18. Northern Arizona 552
19. Massachusetts 519
20. Holy Cross 451
21. Liberty 440
22. Jacksonville St. 388
23. Eastern Illinois 375
24. Eastern Washington 306
25. Colgate 154

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Florida A&M (44), Lafayette (25), Prairie View A&M (19), Central Connecticut St. (13), Albany (7), Furman (7), Montana St. (6), Eastern Kentucky (5), Missouri St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: South Dakota St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Northern Iowa

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM
No love for Indiana State as most significant win of the week??

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I had Indiana St as my most significant win!!!

msupokes1
October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I do not understand how App is ranked that much higher than McNeese even though they have the same record and McNeese beat App.

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Some people on AGS really don't know a lot of football outside their conference. The AGS poll is characteristic of this trait.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
How SCState still gets ranked so high confuses me. UNI at 12 is too high too, 3 losses is 3 losses, especially with no really good wins. EIU is too low at 23 IMO.

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
3 losses is 3 losses

I'll remember this the next time "A one point loss to the #1 team" is brought up. xwhistlex

Native
October 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
How SCState still gets ranked so high confuses me. UNI at 12 is too high too, 3 losses is 3 losses, especially with no really good wins. EIU is too low at 23 IMO.

I think App State will rise higher but that this week's result is too high.

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM

3 losses is 3 losses, I agree. But look at the BCS. No other poll is characteristic of favoritism as every poll you see in the BCS. Florida could lose a game and still be ranked #2 pending an Alabama win. Teams that are always contenders are favorites over those that are just "having a good year".

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
3 losses gets you in the conversation for the playoffs if you go 8-3 for the year. Most years you're in with that if you play in a major conference. But we're still in October & we're ranking a team that is 5-3 with the 3 losses being the only 3 tough games they've played at #12?? The scary thing is if they're #12 then some people are ranking them in the top 10 still.....

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Some people on AGS really don't know a lot of football outside their conference. The AGS poll is characteristic of this trait.
Such as? Help us out. :)

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
How SCState still gets ranked so high confuses me.

Yeah. Being up 14-9 on Morgan State late in the fourth quarter just doesn't strike me as a Top 10 team.

ThompsonThe
October 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
So. What have you voters been doing recently? Watching baseball?

I believe that you should put Leon at number 1 since you are so high on them.
That way, when they lose it will be so much more laughable.

Grizaholic17
October 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Such as? Help us out. :)

I meant to quote a poster saying how they were confused that McNeese is still behind appy. Also goes back to my other post of those that are "supposed to be there".

In all truth, it is always hard for me to get along with the AGS poll because AGS is a forum for fans of their respective teams to discuss. It doesn't take away from the fact of team pride and conference pride. Although they try to moderate "un-characteristic" trends in the poll, AGS is after all, a FAN forum.

Same old babble.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
me2

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
How SCState still gets ranked so high confuses me.

Have you watched any of their games this season?

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 12:30 PM

me2

Audit!

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM

SCST this week looked like a struggle. Not a good sign...

Silenoz
October 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I meant to quote a poster saying how they were confused that McNeese is still behind appy. Also goes back to my other post of those that are "supposed to be there".

In all truth, it is always hard for me to get along with the AGS poll because AGS is a forum for fans of their respective teams to discuss. It doesn't take away from the fact of team pride and conference pride. Although they try to moderate "un-characteristic" trends in the poll, AGS is after all, a FAN forum.

Same old babble.

I have App ahead of McNeese. If they played right now, on a neutral field, I think App would win. McNeese has had some major struggles, especially this weekend while App has been (from what I hear and read) improving each week

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah. Being up 14-9 on Morgan State late in the fourth quarter just doesn't strike me as a Top 10 team.

Yeah buddy ummm... SC State hasn't played Morgan State this season xrolleyesx

mcveyrl
I'm a little disappointed that JMU's not getting any votes. We lost to #1, #4, and #5 and to an FBS team in overtime. Plus we beat No. 21. What gives?

tribe_pride
It seems like Most Significant Loss and Most Significant Win are always the same game - at least for the last several weeks

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Yeah because everyone blows out Hampton every single year. Hampton's not a good program. Why in the world would any team struggle against Hampton, especially AT Hampton, the easiest place in the world to win an FCS football game xrolleyesx

I would think that a JMU fan would understand and "get it" about the Hampton Pirates by now. Perhaps the two Pirate victories over the Dukes in Harrisonburg were not enough.

Well, there's always the trip to Hampton that the Dukes could take if there needs to be more convincing.

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm a little disappointed that JMU's not getting any votes. We lost to #1, #4, and #5 and to an FBS team in overtime. Plus we beat No. 21. What gives?

Because it's easy to find 24 teams that would beat us. I don't think we'd beat Liberty if we played it over.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah because everyone blows out Hampton every single year. Hampton's not a good program. Why in the world would any team struggle against Hampton xrolleyesx

With how highly touted those in the MEAC and AGS seem to be with them. Why are any of the games close? No one thought it would be that close that late in the game after FAMU.

JMU wouldxbawlingx

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM

For the 2nd week in a row of being asked this question, yes.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Eventually, though, you need to beat somebody. Sure you're 2-0 against the Big South, but that won't make many polls. Wins eventually are what you get ranked for.

danefan
October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
For the 2nd week in a row of being asked this question, yes.

I have too and I have SCSU at 16.

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Eventually, though, you need to beat somebody. Sure you're 2-0 against the Big South, but that won't make many polls. Wins eventually are what you get ranked for.

Can you call a meeting of Hen fans and teach them your ways?

Native
October 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
3 losses gets you in the conversation for the playoffs if you go 8-3 for the year. Most years you're in with that if you play in a major conference. But we're still in October & we're ranking a team that is 5-3 with the 3 losses being the only 3 tough games they've played at #12?? The scary thing is if they're #12 then some people are ranking them in the top 10 still.....

I don't hold the 3 losses against the Panthers so much as the lack of quality wins.

MVFC is a power conference alright, but unlike the CAA (7 top 25 power teams) or the Big Sky (5 top 25 power teams), the Missouri Valley power is vested in only three teams, and one of those (SDSU) has already lost to FCS Cal Poly. UNI has already lost to the other two MVFC power teams and has no chance for a top-25 quality regular season win.

The Missouri Valley is a great conference, but this year the MVFC has zero quality out of conference wins and does not deserve three playoff bids.

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
With how highly touted those in the MEAC and AGS seem to be with them. Why are any of the games close? No one thought it would be that close that late in the game after FAMU.

JMU wouldxbawlingx

Why not?

Didn't Hampton just come off of a devastating loss?

The Pirates needed to bounce back.

Oh, BTW, it was Hampton's Homecoming.

So it makes sense that Hampton played their best but still lost.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
UNI too high, Colgate shouldn't be in the poll...pretty solid, otherwise. Good to see NAU inside the top 20.

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have too and I have SCSU at 16.

Well of Course you doxlolx

it still won't help any NEC teams make the playoffs this seasonxlolx

MacThor
October 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Sorry, 2-5 with a 4-game losing streak in which your starting QB hasn't led the team to single TD - no way.

Pretty much once you reach the mid-point of the season, if your team has a losing record they shouldn't be in any poll - even if all of their losses are top 10 teams.

tribe_pride
October 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Can you call a meeting of Hen fans and teach them your ways?

You realize that Delaware has beaten a still ranked UMass team and are 5-2 right now - 3-2 in the conference? They have won games and should be 7-2 going into the last 2 only 1 of which they will have to win to make the playoffs. Neither will be easy but anyone can win the rivalry games.

bjtheflamesfan
October 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Well at least we dont have Albany and CCSU fans whining this week (although I accidentally omitted a 6-1 SDSU team that I had ranked last week and probably if I had been more careful would be in my top 15)

R.A.
October 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM
UNI too high, Colgate shouldn't be in the poll...pretty solid, otherwise. Good to see NAU inside the top 20.

They're 6-1 record is holding them up there.

So if they go 10-1 and still lose the Patriot League, guess who's getting an at large bid??

I watched this team play on ESPNU versus Princeton.

They're not top 25 material and everyone knows it.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Sorry, 2-5 with a 4-game losing streak in which your starting QB hasn't led the team to single TD - no way.

Pretty much once you reach the mid-point of the season, if your team has a losing record they shouldn't be in any poll - even if all of their losses are top 10 teams.

UNI is still ranked 12th with losses to all top 10 teams! I know they are 5-3 but still why are they still up there?

putter
October 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM

I guess we could put JMU alongside Northeastern. They lost to #4, #5, #20 and and FBS..

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM
You realize that Delaware has beaten a still ranked UMass team and are 5-2 right now - 3-2 in the conference? They have won games and should be 7-2 going into the last 2 only 1 of which they will have to win to make the playoffs. Neither will be easy but anyone can win the rivalry games.

Yes, I do. I don't have a problem with where UD is ranked. They're a good team. Just sick of hearing about how a one point loss to UR is a stepping stone to greatness, especially from a program that expects to beat Navy.

Ud1Hens
October 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM

So if they go 10-1 and still lose the Patriot League, guess who's getting an at large bid??

Not them

elcid83
October 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Furman got votes after losing to my Citadel Bulldogs? Really???

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM

I watched this team play on ESPNU versus Princeton.

They're not top 25 material and everyone knows it.

..Colgate's Resume is about as good as Butler's. They won't be making the Field.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM

They haven't played Morgan yet. That was Hampton.

Ud1Hens
October 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, I do. I don't have a problem with where UD is ranked. They're a good team. Just sick of hearing about how a one point loss to UR is a stepping stone to greatness, especially from a program that expects to beat Navy.

50% of the time we do. And we've won 2 of the last 3 times we've played em. Not saying that helps in '09 but our players won't be shell-shocked when kickoff happens.

jacksfan29
October 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I don't hold the 3 losses against the Panthers so much as the lack of quality wins.

MVFC is a power conference alright, but unlike the CAA (7 top 25 power teams) or the Big Sky (5 top 25 power teams), the Missouri Valley power is vested in only three teams, and one of those (SDSU) has already lost to FCS Cal Poly. UNI has already lost to the other two MVFC power teams and has no chance for a top-25 quality regular season win.

The Missouri Valley is a great conference, but this year the MVFC has zero quality out of conference wins and does not deserve three playoff bids.

Pretty sure I only see 4 Big Sky teams in the top 25 (Montana, Weber, No Az, East Wash) and only 1 in the top 15. I'm still trying to figure out why Eastern Washington are in the top 25? If quality wins is the criteria what "quality" win does Eastern claim? MSU? Considering the Bobcats squeeked by a transitional school UNI beat 66-7 I have to wonder about the quality of the Big Sky in 2009. As for quality out of conference wins, it would seem the Big Sky have two. Both by Montana. If UNI win out they should deserve consideration.

jus10asu
October 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
How does New Hampshire jump App from 9 to 7xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
50% of the time we do. And we've won 2 of the last 3 times we've played em. Not saying that helps in '09 but our players won't be shell-shocked when kickoff happens.

I understand. And I really don't have any dislike for UD, and I have been high on them all year... just don't agree with the exceptions some UD fans try to make for their team.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
My top 10 & AGS were pretty much right on except for #9 & #7; I had those switched.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
How does New Hampshire jump App from 9 to 7xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Hofstra was really tough as we should knowxsmhx

Ud1Hens
October 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I understand. And I really don't have any dislike for UD, and I have been high on them all year... just don't agree with the exceptions some UD fans try to make for their team.

I think that we'll be 7-3 going into a rival game vs Nova on the Main Line...as usual, more Hen fans will be in attendance and hopefully we will come out on top. JMU up first...

ToTheLeft
October 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I think that we'll be 7-3 going into a rival game vs Nova on the Main Line...as usual, more Hen fans will be in attendance and hopefully we will come out on top. JMU up first...

Indeed, I would say every game is winnable, and every game is losable from here on out for the Hens. I really just can't see them beating Navy or Nova, however, it is a rivalry game. I am simply looking as an outsider at the numbers and the resumes, and going on gut feeling. xreadx

I am sure the Hens will be ready for that game, and it will be a good game regardless of the outcome.

OhioHen
October 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Most vote for a top 25 win against another top 25 (and vote for the same game as the loss of the week). Overall, I don't put much stock in the importance of those questions and wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated.

And I voted Indiana State as the most significant win this week for snapping their long losing streak, even though it has no bearing on the poll.

ericsaid
October 26th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hofstra was really tough as we should knowxsmhx

App did win 52-16 and had over 700 yards of total offense even after pulling the first teamers with 5 minutes left in the third quarter for not only a conference game but a huge rival.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Because it's easy to find 24 teams that would beat us. I don't think we'd beat Liberty if we played it over.

I guess we could put JMU alongside Northeastern. They lost to #4, #5, #20 and and FBS..

I've gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. I really expected to catch more fish than this. No fun.

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I've gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. I really expected to catch more fish than this. No fun.

You have too many posts for that to work.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
You have too many posts for that to work.

I know, but people that know me on the other site really fell for it.

Maybe I should've added some exclamation points and smilies.

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

bjtheflamesfan
October 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
The problem with voting JMU into the poll (despite beating Liberty) is twofold:

1. JMU has not won a single game SINCE beating #21 (Liberty) and is now 2-5 on the year
2. the other win is against VMI who is ALSO 2-5

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
xeekx Wow. This is like fish jumping into the net as I'm walking off. xeekx

Ivytalk
October 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Good-looking poll, overall. A couple of minor kvetches, but nothing to risk a red chiclet over!

GoAgs72
October 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have held back in saying anything much until now. The UC Davis Aggies are at 4-3 with a very close loss to Montana and a very competitve loss to Boise State. Their really only bad game was the first of the season to FBS to Fresno State. Maybe most of you don't want them in the top 25 but not getting any countable votes?? The interesting thing is that a win over UC Davis the past several years has a counted as a quality win.

4th and What?
October 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Beat someone? Baby steps.....we need to score an offensive touchdown without Dudzik first (though Thorpe didn't look too bad in the first half last game). Once we get that touchdown, then we can talk about *gasp* beating someone.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have held back in saying anything much until now. The UC Davis Aggies are at 4-3 with a very close loss to Montana and a very competitve loss to Boise State. Their really only bad game was the first of the season to FBS to Fresno State. Maybe most of you don't want them in the top 25 but not getting any countable votes?? The interesting thing is that a win over UC Davis the past several years has a counted as a quality win.

You all are victims of the West Coast Bias. As long as the Aggies of UC Davis keep winning, this team might steal an At-Large Berth from the CAA or MVFC. xwhistlex

4th and What?
October 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It seems like Most Significant Loss and Most Significant Win are always the same game - at least for the last several weeks

Yeah, very boring voters. I had UNI as the most significant loss, but gave Holy Cross the most sig win. Assuming they don't falter against LC, they should of earned themselves a playoff bid with that win.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
You all are victims of the West Coast Bias. As long as the Aggies of UC Davis keep winning, this team might steal an At-Large Berth from the CAA or MVFC. xwhistlex

I think it's actually more likely that the winner of the Davis-CP game will steal a bid from the other, but that's just my .02.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM

23. UC Davis

4th and What?
October 26th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Davis needs a significant win, or needs to be dominating people. App St is getting boosted in people's heads (they are way too high right now) because they are wiping the floor with GSU and NC Central. If they had beat Montana they would be in the rankings, or if they beat Cal Poly they will be there, but South Dakota in overtime doesn't get you there. That being said I had them at 32 this week :D

Davis doesn't need a lack of bad losses, they need a significant win to get on people's radar.

The Cats
October 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I do not understand how App is ranked that much higher than McNeese even though they have the same record and McNeese beat App.

that's what 3 NC's will do for you.......

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I think it's actually more likely that the winner of the Davis-CP game will steal a bid from the other, but that's just my .02.

Possible but I would bet on them taking a spot from a team like Northern Iowa or Delaware now. I just see McNeese St. & App. St. locks as long as they keep winning.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Possible but I would bet on them taking a spot from a team like Northern Iowa or Delaware now. I just see McNeese St. & App. St. locks as long as they keep winning.

You don't think the loser of Davis-CP gets in, do you?

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
You don't think the loser of Davis-CP gets in, do you?

The loser would be 7-4 and the field is just too deep to let em in over a team that is 8-3 from the MVFC, Big Sky or CAA. They would also have to be in the top 16 or 13 of the Modified GPI that the Committee will look at for those two teams.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM

The Aggies are a good team this year and UC Davis has a very strong football program, but it's a little early to start tooting about votes for the top 25. Perhaps it might have been better to wait until playing and beating Southern Utah and/or Cal Poly.

UC-Davis has only three DI wins. Western Oregon does not count. Where is the signature victory? 2-6 Portland State? 1-6 Winston-Salem? 3-4 South Dakota?

Kudos for playing a top 10 FBS team, but the 16-34 loss to Boise State was not competitive:

........................... UCDavis Boise St
FIRST DOWNS.................. 13 21
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 28 101
NET YARDS PASSING............. 206 285
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 234 386

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
The loser would be 7-4 and the field is just too deep to let em in over a team that is 8-3 from the MVFC, Big Sky or CAA. They would also have to be in the top 16 or 13 of the Modified GPI that the Committee will look at for those two teams.

But Davis (with a win) would be 7-3 (DI) with it's only significant win over CP. I don't think that gets them in over an 8-3 MVFC, CAA, or SoCon team.

Don't get me wrong, I think they get in, but I don't think they'll take a spot from another conference. The other conferences should get their 8-3 teams in too.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
But Davis (with a win) would be 7-3 (DI) with it's only significant win over CP. I don't think that gets them in over an 8-3 MVFC, CAA, or SoCon team.

Don't get me wrong, I think they get in, but I don't think they'll take a spot from another conference. The other conferences should get their 8-3 teams in too.

UC Davis & Cal Poly has a high strength of schedule, for what it's worth. The Selection will definitely take a look at the winner of the Great West Conference and if Delaware, App, McNeese or Northern Iowa have anymore losses, The GWC winner is in.

Woof
October 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Furman got votes after losing to my Citadel Bulldogs? Really???

My thoughts exactly..... OL FU was that you ?xnodx

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
UC Davis & Cal Poly has a high strength of schedule, for what it's worth. The Selection will definitely take a look at the winner of the Great West Conference and if Delaware, App, McNeese or Northern Iowa have anymore losses, The GWC winner is in.

Yea, but strength of schedule only means so much if you don't beat any of the teams. Right now JMU probably has a top 5 or top 10 strength of schedule, but they've lost to everybody they've played!

If Davis's only win over a Top 25 teams is the win over Cal Poly, they will have a hard time matching up with an 8-3 Delaware, App, McNeese or UNI.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yea, but strength of schedule only means so much if you don't beat any of the teams. Right now JMU probably has a top 5 or top 10 strength of schedule, but they've lost to everybody they've played!

If Davis's only win over a Top 25 teams is the win over Cal Poly, they will have a hard time matching up with an 8-3 Delaware, App, McNeese or UNI.

Good point, McV! xthumbsupx

The selection committee will take quality wins into account, not just losses. UC Davis' resume may not be strong enough, but if Cal Poly wins out, they will be 7-3 DI with Top 25 wins over both South Dakota State and Weber State. In my view, that's a stronger resume than, for example, an 8-3 UNI with no quality victories.

I do not think the reality of UNI's losses to SDSU and SIU have sunk in with voters yet, but I suspect this will happen over time.

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM

The loser of the UC Davis - Cal Poly game will not exceed 6 D1 wins.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Good point, McV! xthumbsupx

The selection committee will take quality wins into account, not just losses. If Cal Poly wins out, they will be 7-3 DI with Top 25 wins over both South Dakota State and Weber State. In my view, that's a stronger resume than, for example, an 8-3 UNI with no quality victories.

I do not think the reality of UNI's losses to SDSU and SIU have sunk in with voters yet, but I suspect this will happen over time.

Yea, I think that a 7-3 CP team is more impressive than the Davis team with the same record and it's a much closer call between them and the above 8-3 teams -- especially UNI.

McNeese75
October 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have App ahead of McNeese. If they played right now, on a neutral field, I think App would win. McNeese has had some major struggles, especially this weekend while App has been (from what I hear and read) improving each week

xrolleyesx And I think App would whip Montana no matter where they played but I did not put them ahead of the Griz xrotatehx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
xrolleyesx And I think App would whip Montana no matter where they played but I did not put them ahead of the Griz xrotatehx

Get in line, everyone wants a piece xrulesxxsmiley_wix

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
App did win 52-16 and had over 700 yards of total offense even after pulling the first teamers with 5 minutes left in the third quarter for not only a conference game but a huge rival.

The tough conference rival that lost 44-6 to SDSU?????? Hofstra has shown more quality so far and that was on the road for UNH.

MaxASU'81
October 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Get in line, everyone wants a piece xrulesxxsmiley_wix

We'll take a home and home...now that you can schedule us since AE will be gone! ASU Football, Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere!xpeacex

MaxASU'81
October 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Just keep the poll the way it is....and Elon, keep on winning....I want November 14th, 2009 to mean something when we come into Burlington, North Carolina and Kick some "Fighting Christian" Tail! Prior to that....We take care of some Furple first, then Chattanooga!

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM

your thinking is good, the reason is that 2-5 record and still in top 25 would be ratherxlolxxlolxxlolx

McNeese72
October 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM

The sad part about McNeese is that all of our troubles have been self inflicted. In the SFA game we had over 150 more total yards than them and shut down their offense after the first quarter. But we had 120 yards worth of penalties. We had one TD called back and other big plays called back. Plus we had a FG hit one of the uprights. Got to give credit to SFA. They didn't make the mistakes and won.

Against Southeastern we lost four fumbles, had a punt blocked and returned to the one yard line, turned the ball over on a punt when we had a bad snap, and had a pass intercepted in the endzone. And somehow we still won the game.

But I guess good teams don't make the mistakes we have been making.

Doc

McNeese75
October 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
The sad part about McNeese is that all of our troubles have been self inflicted. In the SFA game we had over 150 more total yards than them and shut down their offense after the first quarter. But we had 120 yards worth of penalties. We had one TD called back and other big plays called back. Plus we had a FG hit one of the uprights. Got to give credit to SFA. They didn't make the mistakes and won.

Against Sam Houston we lost four fumbles, had a punt blocked and returned to the one yard line, turned the ball over on a punt when we had a bad snap, and had a pass intercepted in the endzone. And somehow we still won the game.

But I guess good teams don't make the mistakes we have been making.

Doc

xrolleyesx xwhistlex xlolx

asknoquarter21
October 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I think we are about 2 weeks away from these polls actually mattering.

App has been disappointing so far this year, and everyone knows it. We made a few (much needed) personnel moves that really made our team better.

One win against a struggling team doesn't change anything for me yet. We will find out a lot about our team this weekend against Furman.

Unfortunately it looks almost impossible for App to get a seed, but if we make the playoffs I can't imagine any team being happy to play Armanti in his last campaign.

BlueGoldAg
October 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
The Aggies are a good team this year and UC Davis has a very strong football program, but it's a little early to start tooting about votes for the top 25. Perhaps it might have been better to wait until playing and beating Souther Utah and/or Cal Poly.

UC-Davis has only three DI wins. Western Oregon does not count. Where is the signature victory? 2-6 Portland State? 1-6 Winston-Salem? 3-4 South Dakota?

Kudos for playing a top 10 FBS team, but the 16-34 loss to Boise State was not competitive:

........................... UCDavis Boise St
FIRST DOWNS.................. 13 21
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 28 101
NET YARDS PASSING............. 206 285
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 234 386

The loss to Boise State in Boise was not competitive??? You might want to ask Coach Petersen and the 32,000 Boise fans about that. The Aggies were only down 11 points with 11:30 to go in the 4th period and were moving the ball. This game was as competitive as any Boise has played this year. Boise finally pushed the ball in for a final TD with 38 seconds left to make the game look less competitive than it actually was.

Not competitive?? You might want to consider the following to give you an idea of how well the Aggies played them in their house:

1) Boise was ranked #5 at the time and are currently 7-0 and ranked #5 and #6.
2) Boise is 38-1 at home in the last 5 years.
3) Other than a 7 point win at Tulsa and a 11 point win against Oregon, no one has been closer to Boise on the
scoreboard than the Aggies this year.

Check out these Boise stats:

Oregon.................W19-8......Total Yards: Boise 361 to 152
Miami (OH)...........W48-0......Total Yards: Boise 441 to 194
@Fresno State...... W51-34....Total Yards: Fresno 507 to 480
@Bowling Green....W49-14.....Total Yards: Boise 529-282
UC Davis.............. W34-16.....Total Yards: Boise 386-243
@Tulsa................. W28-27.....Total Yards: Boise 380-295
@Hawai'i...............W54-9.......Total Yards: Boise 472-307

Fresno State is the only team to out gain Boise in yards so far this season with 507 total yards, and they just happen to be the team that rolled up the Aggies in their opener in Fresno. The truth is that the Boise game was highly competitive, and many Boise fans felt that the Aggies outplayed the Broncos that evening.

The Aggies' record isn't all that pretty at 4-3, but there are not many FCS teams that have a tougher overall schedule, and not many teams in the AGS top 25 would have fared much better against this schedule. Unfortunately, we dropped 3 potential TD passes in the end zone that hit the our receivers in the hands against current #2 Montana and still only lost by a TD. The Aggies out gained Montana 405-312 and controlled the time of possession 37:24-22:36. One big screen pass by Montana and the 3 dropped passes doomed the Ags.

I know the argument: Coulda, woulda, shoulda....show me a quality win..."good loses" don't count... At the very least, this team deserves the minimum of 5 votes in the AGS poll. Ask Montana, or ask Boise for that matter, if the Aggies are good enough to even be mentioned in the same breath with many of the teams in the top 25 of the AGS poll. I think you know what the answer would be.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
The loss to Boise State in Boise was not competitive??? You might want to ask Coach Petersen and the 32,000 Boise fans about that. The Aggies were only down 11 points with 11:30 to go in the 4th period and were moving the ball. This game was as competitive as any Boise has played this year. Boise finally pushed the ball in for a final TD with 38 seconds left to make the game look less competitive than it actually was.

Not competitive?? You might want to consider the following to give you an idea of how well the Aggies played them in their house:

3) Other than a 7 point win at Tulsa and a 11 point win against Oregon, no one has been closer to Boise on the

Fresno State is the only team to out gain Boise in yards so far this season with 507 total yards, and they just happen to be the team that rolled up the Aggies in their opener in Fresno. The truth is that the Boise game was highly competitive, and many Boise fans felt that the Aggies outplayed the Broncos that evening.

The Aggies' record isn't all that pretty at 4-3, but there are not many FCS teams that have a tougher overall schedule, and not many teams in the AGS top 25 would have fared much better against this schedule. Unfortunately, we dropped 3 potential TD passes in the end zone that hit the our receivers in the hands against current #2 Montana and still only lost by a TD. The Aggies out gained Montana 405-312 and controlled the time of possession 37:24-22:36. One big screen pass by Montana and the 3 dropped passes doomed the Ags.

I know the argument: Coulda, woulda, shoulda....show me a quality win..."good loses" don't count... At the very least, this team deserves the minimum of 5 votes in the AGS poll. Ask Montana, or ask Boise for that matter, if the Aggies are good enough to even be mentioned in the same breath with many of the teams in the top 25 of the AGS poll. I think you know what the answer would be.

You go to they playoffs based on your WINS. NOT your losses. Win some games worth mentioning and you can start talking. Playoff discussion is based on 7 D-I wins, not 7 D-1 wins-and-narrow-losses-to-teams-we-shouldn't-be-expected-to-beat's. At this point in the season, I can't figure out why you'd be complaining about votes in a poll. You make it to the playoffs or you don't. The rest isn't worth fussing about.

Native
October 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I BELIEVE that the Aggies are a good team, but get a quality win, then come back and talk top 25.

Get real about "competitive" games with FBS teams. Last year, Weber played an even closer and more "competitive" game against FBS #8 Utah, losing "only" 21-34, but the result was never in doubt.

WSU UU
FIRST DOWNS................... 19 23
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 56 180
NET YARDS PASSING............. 303 270
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 359 450

GeauxLions94
October 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Indiana State won?

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I BELIEVE that the Aggies are a good team, but get a quality win, then come back and talk top 25.

Get real about "competitive" games with FBS teams. Last year, Weber played an even closer and more "competitive" game against FBS #8 Utah, losing "only" 21-34, but the result was never in doubt.

WSU UU
FIRST DOWNS................... 19 23
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 56 180
NET YARDS PASSING............. 303 270
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 359 450

what he said...

aggiemba
October 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Just more East Coast bias from people who talk smack about the BCS system not letting in "outsiders", yet they do it even worse themselves.

xoopsx

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Just more East Coast bias from people who talk smack about the BCS system not letting in "outsiders", yet they do it even worse themselves.

xoopsx

Yeah, me and Native have that ECB down pat don't we? xrolleyesx xnutsx

boonegoon
October 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I think we are about 2 weeks away from these polls actually mattering.

App has been disappointing so far this year, and everyone knows it. We made a few (much needed) personnel moves that really made our team better.

One win against a struggling team doesn't change anything for me yet. We will find out a lot about our team this weekend against Furman.

Unfortunately it looks almost impossible for App to get a seed, but if we make the playoffs I can't imagine any team being happy to play Armanti in his last campaign.

Maybe almost, but not totally. If App wins out, I would bet a dollar they get a seed.

AggieFinn
October 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ags need to win out to have a shot, and only a shot at it, it's that simple.

aggiemba
October 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I just hope the East Coasters will give us a shot when that happens Finn.

WrenFGun
October 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
East Coast Bias is nothing more than excuse by someone made in any location who chooses blind fanship over actual facts.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
your thinking is good, the reason is that 2-5 record and still in top 25 would be ratherxlolxxlolxxlolx

And YOU might want to read the whole thread next time...xlolxxlolx

slostang
October 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Big game in Davis Nov. 7th. Could be for the GWC championship. Of course the Aggies need to get by SUU and Cal Poly past UND this weekend.

iceman4221
October 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM

Did you attend the game and/or are you going by the final score on the score board???

If you are going by the scoreboard, I present to you SCSU 37 NSU 10 vs W&M 27 NSU 15, as so many on this board stated to me, the Scoreboard doesn't tell the entire story... xsmiley_wix

You would have to read and get more details otherwise you are ignoring the fact that it was 1) a conference rival, 2) Hampton's Homecoming, 3) the game statistics and 4) other intangibles that can not be known by only looking at the final scoreboard tally... xwhistlex

But if you insist, refer back to the SCSU vs NSU game and compare to the W&M vs NSU game... xthumbsupx

Native
October 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Big game in Davis Nov. 7th. Could be for the GWC championship. Of course the Aggies need to get by SUU and Cal Poly past UND this weekend.

...at Grand Forks, at Davis for the Mustangs.

...at Cedar City, at home for the Aggies.

In addition to the conference championship, Cal Poly should be able to get an at-large bid IF they win out, including at Ogden for the final game of the regular season.

4th and What?
October 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
You go to they playoffs based on your WINS. NOT your losses.

Wasn't one of the reasons the committee stated they chose Maine last season was based on them having better losses? xwhistlex

BlueGoldAg
October 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You go to they playoffs based on your WINS. NOT your losses. Win some games worth mentioning and you can start talking. Playoff discussion is based on 7 D-I wins, not 7 D-1 wins-and-narrow-losses-to-teams-we-shouldn't-be-expected-to-beat's. At this point in the season, I can't figure out why you'd be complaining about votes in a poll. You make it to the playoffs or you don't. The rest isn't worth fussing about.

My original post was largely in response to the comment that the Aggies were not competitive against Boise. I think I made my point. We were a 40+ point underdog going into that game.

I don't have a big beef with the 7 D-l wins requirement, but I think quality efforts when teams are playing up against quality FBS teams can be a good marker of the strength of a team. The Aggies, like Cal Poly, have a tough time scheduling OCC games with FCS teams because we are way out west where there aren't many FCS teams. Consequently, we will continue to schedule at least 2 FBS games a season. We have Cal and San Jose State next year and Stanford and Hawai'i (I believe), in 2011.
In my opinion, how well we play against those teams can be just as indicative of how good the Aggies are compared with a win against good FCS team.

Once I become a voting member of AGS, I'll obviously be more familiar with the teams out west than the rest of the country. I follow the Great West and the Big Sky and am very familiar with NDSU and SDSU since they used to be members of the Great West. I'll do my best learn about the other conferences and teams, but to tell you the truth, many of those FCS matchups will be largely unfamiliar to me.

What might actually tell me more is how some team I am not familiar with actually does in a game with a known FBS team or an FCS power. When seen from this angle, I think it tells me a lot about a team who plays a strong game against an quality FBS team or top FCS team. From this perspective, the games the Aggies lost to Boise and Montana should say something about the quality of the team.

Bottom line, we need to win out, starting with Southern Utah followed by a huge match-up with Cal Poly. I don't know if we'll beat those two teams; I'd say we are even at best going into the game at SUU and will be the underdog going into the Poly game. Guess we'll see.xpeacex

MacThor
October 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Wasn't one of the reasons the committee stated they chose Maine last season was based on them having better losses? xwhistlex

No

AshevilleApp
October 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Maybe almost, but not totally. If App wins out, I would bet a dollar they get a seed.

Yep..not many teams can pack a stadium with 25,000+
$$$ Rules

B&G
October 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Did you attend the game and/or are you going by the final score on the score board???

If you are going by the scoreboard, I present to you SCSU 37 NSU 10 vs W&M 27 NSU 15, as so many on this board stated to me, the Scoreboard doesn't tell the entire story... xsmiley_wix

You would have to read and get more details otherwise you are ignoring the fact that it was 1) a conference rival, 2) Hampton's Homecoming, 3) the game statistics and 4) other intangibles that can not be known by only looking at the final scoreboard tally... xwhistlex

But if you insist, refer back to the SCSU vs NSU game and compare to the W&M vs NSU game... xthumbsupx

True there were a lot of mitigating circumstances but SCSU did struggle to win that one. Hampton was a blown fake punt away from having the chance to pull ahead. Or at least that was the account given to me by someone who was at the game. I was in Boone so I couldn't be there.

WMTribe90
October 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
1. Richmond (85) 2196
2. Montana (2) 2059
3. Southern Illinois (1) 2026
4. Villanova 1932
5. William & Mary 1799
6. Elon 1704
7. New Hampshire 1586
8. Appalachian St. 1581
9. South Dakota St. 1504
10. South Carolina St. 1247
11. Stephen F. Austin 1242
12. Northern Iowa 1191
13. McNeese St. 1109
14. Delaware 992
15. Central Arkansas 982
16. Weber St. 980
17. Cal Poly 797
18. Northern Arizona 552
19. Massachusetts 519
20. Holy Cross 451
21. Liberty 440
22. Jacksonville St. 388
23. Eastern Illinois 375
24. Eastern Washington 306
25. Colgate 154

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Florida A&M (44), Lafayette (25), Prairie View A&M (19), Central Connecticut St. (13), Albany (7), Furman (7), Montana St. (6), Eastern Kentucky (5), Missouri St. (5)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: South Dakota St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Northern Iowa

My thoughts:

1) Lafayette has a better resume than Colgate at this point an should be ranked before Colgate.

2) Still don't see SCST as a top 10 team, they have one quality win and yes I have seen them play. Had them at 12.

3) UNI is too at 12, three losses and more importantly, no quality wins. They may well still be a top 12 team (or better) talent wise, but the resume isn't there.

4) I had VU above Montana. A win over Western Oregon is next to worthless. VU beat a good temple team and they have won impressively every week, except for the loss at UNH. Montana has been getting by more than dominating. VU has seven DI wins to Montana's six and VU has the tougher SOS and the FBS win.

5) I think UD, NAU, SFA should be ranked higher.

Pretty minor "cmplaints" really. Good poll xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM

xoopsx

East Coast Bias is nothing more than excuse by someone made in any location who chooses blind fanship over actual facts.
xrulesx

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yep..not many teams can pack a stadium with 25,000+
$$$ Rules

$$ and attendance are not supposed to play a factor with either the selection of the 16 teams or the seeding. Bids and attendance figures are solely to be used to determine the sites of the 4 1st round games not involving the 4 seeded teams.

danefan
October 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM

No, it was that they had 8 DI wins to W&M's 7.