PDA

View Full Version : JMU-Delaware Thread

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM
This year's affair is a complete role reversal from last year. Now it's JMU that has all kinds of QB problems & they are the team that can't muster much offense to speak of when they play a good team. The Dukes do have a good defense, like UD did last year, but they get put in bad situations, spend a lot of time on the field & that will demoralize a unit over time.

All JMU has to play for now is a winning record & there can't be many players on that team that think that is even possible now. UD on the other hand was firing on all cylinders going into the bye week & will now get 4 or 5 guys back healthy for this game. Devlin is living up to expectations as the best QB in the CAA and one of the best in FCS. Mark Duncan has emerged as a deep threat wideout and UD at least shows a semblance of a running game.

The UD defense has been playing well too and has shut down both UR's & UMass' running games, so with a Dukes team that can't throw the ball effectively Scrapplefest looks to be a fun Saturday.

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM
What he said..

Heck, I expected us to lose this game even before the season started. Now it's no question.

JMU 3
UD 27

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
What he said..

Heck, I expected us to lose this game even before the season started. Now it's no question.

JMU 3
UD 27

Agreed. We had a chance against good UR and Nova teams at home and even W&M because we play well there. UD was penciled in for me as well. I just hope we put up a fight for 3 quarters or maybe the whole first half. A TD would be nice too by the offense?

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Yep. An offensive touchdown would give us the ever elusive "moral" victory.

JMU Newbill
October 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Is this the fourth straight team we have played that is coming out of a bye week? Wow.

That being said, I think we finally score a td this week.... on a kick return. Still not convinced the offense can muster up the strength to score one on their own.

I will still watch just to see Daniels and Moats tear things up. I enjoy watching them play as they are both from my hometown of Portsmouth, Virginia. Nice to see someone from there doing something.

Delaware 27, JMU 7.

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Is this the fourth straight team we have played that is coming out of a bye week? Wow.

Nova didn't have a bye.

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Nothing is automatic in the CAA.

JMU should at least be loose with no more pressure to make the playoffs. That being said, Delaware should win this game. I expect a good contest until late in the third quarter when a worn down JMU defense lets Devlin pick them apart.

I'll say 31-14 Hens.

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Scrapplefest looks to be a fun Saturday.

That was two weeks ago in Bridgeville.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Nothing is automatic in the CAA.

JMU should at least be loose with no more pressure to make the playoffs. That being said, Delaware should win this game.
Stranger things have happened (like losing the second game of the season to a blocked chip shot FG to end the game vs Richmond.... twice in the last 8 years) xeyebrowx

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Since Thorpe has been handed the reins at QB, has he shown improvement? It's obvious the offense is struggling and his stats are bad, but is it all bad news or is there hope that he is figuring it out and this could be the week?

Oldhen
October 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM

That was Apple-Scrapple.

Scrapplefest is a tailgating phenomenon.

Hope they try Old Milton.... or maybe get some livermush from down Boone.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Not some lame slower lower apple-scrapple festival, this is the real thing, nine years running in the Gold Lot celebrating America's favorite breakfast meat.

Besides, Habbersett is the tops hands-down. Rapa a close 2nd.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
There's a littany of other problems besides Thorpe, but I think that he is getting better. However (and I usually don't complain about play calling) the play calling hasn't helped him out, IMO. Against W&M late in the game -- we were still within a TD -- it was obvious that most first downs we could run Jamal Sullivan left or right for 4 to 5 yds. if we put Thorpe under center and ran it down their throats. This provided some pretty manageable situations for Thorpe. But halfway through a drive, we'd go from shotgun on first down and something would happen (bad snap, bad blocking, etc.) and we'd lose 5 or 6 yards. Thorpe can't produce in that scenario (FWIW, neither could Landers. The difference, to me, is that Landers could handle second or third and long -- 8 or 9 yds. -- pretty well).

But, Thorpe has no rhythym with the receivers. Twice he completed long passes, but the WR were just out of bounds. He had a couple of passes sail on him, but I didn't think that was anything unusual.

At first, I was excited that he was playing the rest of the year. I knew we'd take some lumps and maybe next year too, but now I think Dudzik has to play next year and give Thorpe a little more time.

Oldhen
October 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Since Thorpe has been handed the reins at QB, has he shown improvement? It's obvious the offense is struggling and his stats are bad, but is it all bad news or is there hope that he is figuring it out and this could be the week?

No Thorpe fumbles against W&M. Still makes some funky reads in the option. They'll have to tweak their passing schemes against a quality secondary to give him a better chance to be successful. I don't think overall UD has near the D W&M has.. and a shade worse than what 'Nova has. He'll look better than he has.

For me, the story of the game is going to be much more UD's passing game against JMU's passing D.... strength against strength. That'll be the best measure of how much UD's improved, particularly how our OL does against Moats. They'll have to do better than they did against Tracy.

Oldhen
October 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Not some lame slower lower apple-scrapple festival, this is the real thing, nine years running in the Gold Lot celebrating America's favorite breakfast meat.

Besides, Habbersett is the tops hands-down. Rapa a close 2nd.

Expand your horizons.

Old Milton is about the best commercially available. Our local IGA makes its own, and that's a close second. Best I've had is homemade from the 80+ year old grandparents of one of my wife's friends. They only make it now and then, but I get all I can.

UncleSam
October 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
JMU's QB situation isn't good, but it isn't nearly as sad as was UD's at this same time last year when the Hens had a WR and a TE playing QB. This is not an automatic win for UD, as I'm still not completely sold on the Hens this year. JMU's defense is good and should keep them in the game, if the Dukes get a couple of turnovers and/or a big special teams play from McGee they could pull off an upset.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
For me, the story of the game is going to be much more UD's passing game against JMU's passing D.... strength against strength. That'll be the best measure of how much UD's improved, particularly how our OL does against Moats. They'll have to do better than they did against Tracy.

Our pass D is NOT good. Our pass RUSH is fantastic. If there is no pressure our defensive backs will be eaten alive with our soft covereage.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Expand your horizons.

Old Milton is about the best commercially available. Our local IGA makes its own, and that's a close second. Best I've had is homemade from the 80+ year old grandparents of one of my wife's friends. They only make it now and then, but I get all I can.

xlolx Well OldHen, in the ever-ending search for awesome scrapple, I had never heard of Old Milton, so I googled it. Funny to see the 2nd item on that search, doesn't inspire the average eater to indulge:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/news/Recall_018_2004_Release/index.asp

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Slightly. He's protecting the ball better, not just while running, but is taking sacks and throwing the ball away more.

But, each first down feels more like luck and less like design. Stringing together 8 first downs in one drive seems impossible, let alone 2 or more of those drives.

On the bright side, what other team is able to season their futue QB against the #1, #4 and #5 teams in the country in consecutive weeks? No offense to UD and UMass, but the schedule is starting to get marginally easier....oh, so marginally.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
This is not an automatic win for UD, as I'm still not completely sold on the Hens this year.

WTF!? Aren't you a UMass fan? Wasn't that total beatdown enough, do you want more? Devlin will lead us to victory, and it's not like he'll need to put up many points against JMU to win......

Oldhen
October 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Well OldHen, in the ever-ending search for awesome scrapple, I had never heard of Old Milton, so I googled it. Funny to see the 2nd item on that search, doesn't inspire the average eater to indulge:

That was much ado about nothing. I never stopped eating it the whole time.

I go back and forth between that and our IGA's homemade. (PS... my dad's family is Pennsylvania Dutch, and I grew up with it, and have decades of Habersett experience.... and agree Habersett'll do). You ever come down to the DE beaches, go to Lloyd's IGA in Lewes and get theirs. They carry Old Milton, too.

There's a farmer's market up off 322 (?) near Ephrata that also makes excellent homemade scrapple (and good kielbasa, too). Haven't been there in over twenty years, though... things change.

...and, again... if you get a chance, try some livermush. Not 100% the same.

I just always thought anybody who'd do scrapple at a tailgate was good at heart.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I just always thought anybody who'd do scrapple at a tailgate was good at heart.

We're doing Scrapplefest IX in the Gold Lot this week, stop by and sample some.

UncleSam
October 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
WTF!? Aren't you a UMass fan? Wasn't that total beatdown enough, do you want more? Devlin will lead us to victory, and it's not like he'll need to put up many points against JMU to win......

No I'm not a UMass fan, I am a realistic UD fan. Sure UD has looked great in their last two games, but after seeing that woeful game vs W&M I'm still not convinced that they are as good as they have looked vs UMass and Towson.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
No I'm not a UMass fan, I am a realistic UD fan. Sure UD has looked great in their last two games, but after seeing that woeful game vs W&M I'm still not convinced that they are as good as they have looked vs UMass and Towson.

My apologies for associating you with UMass.

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Expand your horizons.

Guys. Let's not argue about which brand of fried pig brain and organs is the best. xlolx

My vote is for Rapa or Kirby and Holloway, btw. :p We just do things better down here than the uptights in New Castle county and PA. xnodx

Haven't tried Old Milton. I'll put it on the to-do list.

HenZoneNation
October 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
It's hard not to be sold on UD this year. The W&M game aside, we have played very well this year. Devlin, in my opinion is the best QB in the FCS and will rivial Flacco and Gannon as one of the best to have ever played at UD. The Richmond game we had, that loss changed the outlook on the season and I think contributed to us playing so flate against W&M.

We do have a tough road ahead of us and we absolutely have to beat JMU. Hofstra is a tough team, and then we have to get one win over either Navy or Nova. I think we can do it. We are on of those dangerous teams that if we get into the playoffs there is not a single team out there that we can't beat. I know a lot of other teams feel that way as well but nobody should be hoping to play us if we get in.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
We just do things better down here than the uptights in New Castle county and PA. xnodx
Down here? You're not down, you're stuck in the middle. :p

Tribe4SF
October 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
ScrappleFest!!!! Loved it last year.xthumbsupx

93henfan
October 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Down here? You're not down, you're stuck in the middle. :p

Born and raised in Sussex County.xnodx

Btw, I consider anything in the Henlopen Conference to be the better part of Delaware.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I don't think this one is all that close. While JMU has some good pass D numbers, let's be honest, who have they played this year who has a real good passing offense? Even W&M is more of a balanced team that wants to run the ball. Devlin is the best passing QB JMU will face all year and right now, Devlin is clicking on all cylinders. UD's WR's hadn't really stepped up by the W&M game and that was a large part of the problem in that loss, UD's only bad loss to date. Since then, Duncan has re-emerged as a top-notch WR, and the Hens get back their second best WR this week when Jones finally comes back from injury (been out since the W&M game I think). Moats will do some damage and will disrupt things, but he's got little help on the defensive side and Devlin should have a monster day like he's been having for weeks now. UD's going to be put up at least 30.

On the other side of the ball, I think UD's strength is stopping the run - with JMU not being able to threaten at all in the passing game, look for UD's d-backs to have a field day cheating up to the line and making plays. The weak spot of UD's defense is the pass defense of the LB'ers and that shouldn't even be a concern in this game. Good practice for the Hens defense getting used to run dominant teams as they'll see plenty of that in the next few weeks with Navy and nova ahead.

I don't see the Hens looking past this game, though, so I see the Hens winning comfortably - say 35-10.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Mmmmmmm - scrapple. xthumbsupx

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I don't see the Hens looking past this game, though, so I see the Hens winning comfortably - say 35-10.

Sweet! A Touchdown!

JMU Newbill
October 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I know people hate talking about it.... but I still think JMU needs a coaching change of some type.

If I see us run up the middle one more time on 3rd and 8, I am going to beat up MM myself.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I know people hate talking about it.... but I still think JMU needs a coaching change of some type.

If I see us run up the middle one more time on 3rd and 8, I am going to beat up MM myself.

Pretty sure Durden makes those calls, but culpability still falls on Matthews. As I said earlier, I do think the playcalling is not complimentary of the talent, but I'm not calling for a coaching change. It's just one year. It will take a couple of years like this for me to call for anybody's head.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Sweet! A Touchdown!

We typically haven't cared about the 4th quarter in the midst of blowouts - we let UMass score a bunch once the game was over, and even Towson managed to light up the 4th quarter scoreboard. I'm sure JMU will tack some points on at the end of this one as well, to make a 35-0 scoreboard look a lot more respectable. It's all good, we like the W's anyway they come right now - this way everyone leaves the stadium happy!!! xlolx

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
We typically haven't cared about the 4th quarter in the midst of blowouts - we let UMass score a bunch once the game was over, and even Towson managed to light up the 4th quarter scoreboard. I'm sure JMU will tack some points on at the end of this one as well, to make a 35-0 scoreboard look a lot more respectable. It's all good, we like the W's anyway they come right now - this way everyone leaves the stadium happy!!! xlolx

We will be over joyed and consider it a victoryxthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Pretty sure Durden makes those calls, but culpability still falls on Matthews. As I said earlier, I do think the playcalling is not complimentary of the talent, but I'm not calling for a coaching change. It's just one year. It will take a couple of years like this for me to call for anybody's head.

As an OC, you need to know your personel. What people don't realize is that our OL play is just as much to blame as the play calling. It takes a lot for me to say that because I haven't liked our play calling since '04. This year the talent and experience couldn't make up for the inept play calling.

While I'm not a fan of MM, I don't think this is his fault entirely. The fracture of Dudzik's leg was not known to the fans until recently which made sense for the 2 qb system. MM can recruit, we just need to be able to call some plays.

jmufan999
October 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
pressure is ALL on Delaware. we have really nothing to play for now but pride... a loss won't hurt us much more than our previous losses already have.

Delaware losing to JMU would be a major embarrassment this year. major.

Oldhen
October 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Delaware losing to JMU would be a major embarrassment this year. major.

After last year, absolutely NOTHING can embarrass UD.

Trust me.

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
As an OC, you need to know your personel. What people don't realize is that our OL play is just as much to blame as the play calling. It takes a lot for me to say that because I haven't liked our play calling since '04. This year the talent and experience couldn't make up for the inept play calling.

While I'm not a fan of MM, I don't think this is his fault entirely. The fracture of Dudzik's leg was not known to the fans until recently which made sense for the 2 qb system. MM can recruit, we just need to be able to call some plays.

I don't know if you and I were discussing this before or somebody else, but your first sentence and last sentence conflict. Don't you think it's more likely that the playcalling has matched the talent and experience in years past? That talent and experience being the kind that could bulldoze for a first down on 3rd and 8?

I actually pin this mostly on OL play and blame the coaches for not adjusting. I don't think the OL has performed as the coaches expected, yet they continue with the same game plans. For instance, we are not very good running out of the shotgun this year, but they keep trying to do it.

Ultimately, I think the staff has been fairly successful matching the play calling to the talent, they just never got it right this year. Like I said, I'll give 'em a year or two before being too hard on them.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know if you and I were discussing this before or somebody else, but your first sentence and last sentence conflict. Don't you think it's more likely that the playcalling has matched the talent and experience in years past? That talent and experience being the kind that could bulldoze for a first down on 3rd and 8?

I actually pin this mostly on OL play and blame the coaches for not adjusting. I don't think the OL has performed as the coaches expected, yet they continue with the same game plans. For instance, we are not very good running out of the shotgun this year, but they keep trying to do it.

Ultimately, I think the staff has been fairly successful matching the play calling to the talent, they just never got it right this year. Like I said, I'll give 'em a year or two before being too hard on them.

Im really not sure either but it has been discussed in other threads by both of us. I don't think that the two sentences conflict because we have the talent but just don't seem to be using it right. Your second paragraph kind of supports that. We thought we could do things, may not think so anymore, but still try it anyways. Our system always looks conservative (run on 3rd and 8) because of the OL and our power running prowess not passing. This year our passing game had to pick it up but the loss of Dudzik and the youth of Thorpe are killing us.

Still, with that, I think the creativity does seem to be lacking. Remember the bubble screens a few years ago? How many times did we run that a game? 10? 15? In a row? 3? 4? We easily had the ability and personel to pull it off but not that predictably. We seem to think we can fool people all the time by running draws continuously or with an out of the ordinary play call in a certain situation. Sometimes we just need to open that baby up and get some of our big WR more involved in those medium to long passing downs. Our system is really basic and I wonder why with what we bring to the table...

Dukie95
October 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Nah, we can't even score in mop-up time. See Nova and W&M.

Both Nova and W&M had reasons for wanting to really kick our butts and not concede a thing. But since UD and JMU have been alternating wins and losses over the past few years, maybe we will finally get that last second TD this week.

GannonFan
October 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Nah, we can't even score in mop-up time. See Nova and W&M.

Both Nova and W&M had reasons for wanting to really kick our butts and not concede a thing. But since UD and JMU have been alternating wins and losses over the past few years, maybe we will finally get that last second TD this week.

Dare to dream man - you may very well get that mop-up TD!!! Party time in Harrisonburg!!!! xlolx

mcveyrl
October 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Dare to dream man - you may very well get that mop-up TD!!! Party time in Harrisonburg!!!! xlolx

Seriously, I already have the beer set aside.

Madisonian
October 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
It is a sad state in the JMU world this year... I believe UD hangs another twenty-something on the Dukes.

UD 24 JMU 1 (UD spots us one point prior to kickoff as a gesture of good sportsmanship).

Anyway, GO DUKES!!!

jmufan999
October 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
i also think we're over-analyzing this... "the coach is at fault, the OC is at fault, the trainers, our recruiting process..."

how about "we're just not a very good team this year?" not every team is great/good every year. not everything is fixable right away... sometimes you just need new/better players, period. i think there's a lot of over-analyzing going on. our players just aren't very good.

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2009, 03:57 AM
-UR-JMU thread didn't even start till the Tues before the game.
-Nova-JMU thread had only a few pages before the game.
-W&M-JMU thread I don't think even existed before the game.
-UD-JMU thread has 5 pages by Mon night, 5 days before the game. WTF? Whats so much bigger here than UR/JMU, Nova/JMU, W&M/JMU? Am I missing something?

BDKJMU
October 27th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Our pass D is NOT good. Our pass RUSH is fantastic. If there is no pressure our defensive backs will be eaten alive with our soft covereage.

JMU is #1 in the CAA in pass defense, #9 in rush defense.

In the last 4 games JMU has given up 8 TD passes:
4 to the tightend (2 vs HU and 2 vs W&M)
2 to the WR (both to Sczur from Nova)
1 to a TB (Nova)
1 to a FB (UR)

6 of those 8 TD passes weren't on the 4 DBs (2 corners, the WS, the FS). Those were due to 2 LBs or the SS (basically a hybrid LB) getting beat, often biting on the play fake.

W&M was 15 of 27 passing vs JMU
Their 2 tightends caught 7 of those for 87 yards. Grimes caught 3 for 12 yards. The W&M receivers only caught 5 passes for 28 yards.

The majority of HU's passing yards (and both TDs) were to their tightend. The opposing receivers aren't hurting JMU much-JMUs DBs have been playing pretty well. Its the tightend that has been hurting JMU.

Ivytalk
October 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Delaware 26, Mickey Matthews 3.:D

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM

1 to a TB (Nova)
1 to a FB (UR)

6 of those 8 TD passes weren't on the 4 DBs (2 corners, the WS, the FS). Those were due to 2 LBs or the SS (basically a hybrid LB) getting beat, often biting on the play fake.

Their 2 tightends caught 7 of those for 87 yards. Grimes caught 3 for 12 yards. The W&M receivers only caught 5 passes for 28 yards.

The majority of HU's passing yards (and both TDs) were to their tightend. The opposing receivers aren't hurting JMU much-JMUs DBs have been playing pretty well. Its the tightend that has been hurting JMU.

Let us introduce you to Pat Devlin.

HensRock
October 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Mickey Matthews 3.:D

Is that the # of times he throws the hat?

I'll take the OVER!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
-UD-JMU thread has 5 pages by Mon night, 5 days before the game. WTF? Whats so much bigger here than UR/JMU, Nova/JMU, W&M/JMU? Am I missing something?

Are you missing something? Yes - fans. It's that simple.

I bet you go to rivals and see plenty of talk between UVA and Maryland even though their teams suck.

Same here. Except only JMU sucks right now.

The funky blue chickens - 38
Doggie Dookie - 3

GP91HEN
October 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hey! Let's get back to topic shall we.... Scrapple "everything but the oink!" Yummmmy!!

bluehenbillk
October 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Stocking up on scrapple this week, the expansion of Scrapplefest is always a worthwhile topic.

mcveyrl
October 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
i also think we're over-analyzing this... "the coach is at fault, the OC is at fault, the trainers, our recruiting process..."

how about "we're just not a very good team this year?" not every team is great/good every year. not everything is fixable right away... sometimes you just need new/better players, period. i think there's a lot of over-analyzing going on. our players just aren't very good.

I think that's a distinct possibility.

Let us introduce you to Pat Devlin.

Yea, he will be, by far, the best passer we've faced. Our only chance is to get to him fast (as somebody else said, our pass defense has more to do with Arthur Moats than our secondary), but I'm sure Keeler has some quick routes planned.

JMUNJ08
October 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM

1 to a TB (Nova)
1 to a FB (UR)

It always has been the underneath stuff that has hurt us. I do like your point but can you also see it as the pass rush getting to the QB too quick to throw deep?

GannonFan
October 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Didn't you hear - we're eating a lot of scrapple at the Tailgate this week. Scrapple alone in any thread makes that thread at least a page or two longer than it normally would be. Just the nature of scrapple. xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
That was Apple-Scrapple.

Scrapplefest is a tailgating phenomenon.

Hope they try Old Milton.... or maybe get some livermush from down Boone.

scrapple, I am gettixbawlingxng homesick now

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Didn't you hear - we're eating a lot of scrapple at the Tailgate this week. Scrapple alone in any thread makes that thread at least a page or two longer than it normally would be. Just the nature of scrapple. xthumbsupx

anyone want to hear my living outside of Delaware for the first time scrapple story

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM

carribeanehn,

I'll be in San Juan on November 4th for a short day (about 10am - 9pm). Any suggestions for a "must see" or "must take home" list? xeyebrowx I'll arrive from sea. Need anything from Newark?

Thanks in advance!

caribbeanhen
October 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
carribeanehn,

I'll be in San Juan on November 4th for a short day (about 10am - 9pm). Any suggestions for a "must see" or "must take home" list? xeyebrowx I'll arrive from sea. Need anything from Newark?

Thanks in advance!

Now thats a mighty nice and genuine offer, I dont need anything but if you see an old Bluehen bumpersticker or any Bluehen 5 and dime memorbilla that I could proudly display on the desk I would most graciously accept

and I will send you some local recommendations on something to do for your short time here
if your looking for food, I can help

SU Jag
October 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I got UD in this one!xthumbsupx Lets go Azz kickin chickensxnodx

YoUDeeMan
October 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Now thats a mighty nice and genuine offer, I dont need anything but if you see an old Bluehen bumpersticker or any Bluehen 5 and dime memorbilla that I could proudly display on the desk I would most graciously accept

and I will send you some local recommendations on something to do for your short time here
if your looking for food, I can help

You got it! 5 & dime is a short bike ride away. xnodx

We have a contract with Holland America Line and I get to go on a cruise that includes Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk, and Phillipsburg, St. Maarten.

I'll PM you my contact info. Got a few busy days ahead of me, but once they are done I will be looking forward to having a blast for a week! xnodx

Oldhen
October 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
anyone want to hear my living outside of Delaware for the first time scrapple story

Absolutely.

I've got one, too.

GannonFan
October 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Yeah, but you do have the advantage of better weather - you could order scrapple to be delivered and eat it outside on a patio. I'll be eating it behind a minivan and sitting on lawn furniture in a parking lot. xrotatehx

JMU Newbill
October 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
OK there is no way to say this without it coming off completely wrong, but I would NEVER imagine scrapple to be popular up north. That's awesome to hear though. The fact that you have a day of tailgating with scrapple each year... I love it.

Anyway that Justin Thorpe can come by one of your tailgates and have a few bites? Maybe it will help him turn into a man.

Dukie95
October 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM
My Dad grew up on scrapple in rural southern Virginia. I had never heard of it until I was in High School when my grandmother served it....thought the idea was disgusting.

Lived in New York City for several years, never heard of it there either.

Then, moved to Arlington and was surprised that they serve it at Eastern Market in Washington, DC. It's very popular there...and very tasty!

I don't get how it's a Southern Virginia, Washington, DC, Delaware thing...

cougarpines
October 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Big in PA. also, at least the eastern part of the state

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I do NOT like scrapple. xsmhx

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2009, 08:07 AM

xnodx

I have had it up north before in NJ but NOT anything to write home about

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Then move to DC.

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
No ASU fans chiming in about livermush? First cousin to scrapple...

Fear the Bird
October 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Where will all this scrapple be at on Saturday?! I'm usually in the grass lot but assume most of you are in the main lot?

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Then move to DC.
Was actually the second biggest reason I moved away from Sussex County. :p

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I keep opening this thread for football discussion and get nauseous everytime I do.

Of course, I'd probably get nauseous either way....but still.

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I keep opening this thread for football discussion and get nauseous everytime I do.

Of course, I'd probably get nauseous either way....but still.

I can give you a full play-by-play of the pork rendering process from gunshot (at least that's the method I witnessed) to plate if you'd like! xlolx

mcveyrl
October 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I can give you a full play-by-play of the pork rendering process from gunshot (at least that's the method I witnessed) to plate if you'd like! xlolx

My God, no.

YoUDeeMan
October 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Gun shots and scrapple! xlolx A great day!

I have been a scrapple fan since I had it as a kid. xrotatehx

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Gun shots and scrapple! xlolx A great day!

I have been a scrapple fan since I had it as a kid. xrotatehx

<doing my best impression of Bubba in Forrest Gump>

Scrapple plain.
Scrapple with ketchup.
Scrapple with syrup.
Scrapple and egg sandwich...

It's all good. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Scrapple plain.
Scrapple with ketchup.
Scrapple with syrup.
Scrapple and egg sandwich.

It's all good. xthumbsupx

Mrs. Ivy have that breakfast delicacy each weekend at our Sussex house!

RAPA is the best store-bought scrapple around. Kirby & Holloway can't touch it.

And Delaware won't allow a TD on Saturday! Maybe a FG or two...xwhistlex

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Trivia (don't cheat)

Where is RAPA located?
Where is Kirby and Holloway located?
Where is Hughes Delaware Maid located?
Which has a restaurant?
Where is that restaurant?
Where did the name RAPA come from?

Dukie95
October 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Are Pig and Anus two of the words?

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Are Pig and Anus two of the words?

xlolx

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM
RAPA is the best store-bought scrapple around.

xnodx

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Supposedly the game isn't that interesting. Or is scrapple just THAT interesting?

GannonFan
October 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Supposedly the game isn't that interesting. Or is scrapple just THAT interesting?

The latter - scrapple rules man, get with the program!!! xthumbsupx

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Trivia (don't cheat):

Where is RAPA located?
Where is Kirby and Holloway located?
Where is Hughes Delaware Maid located?
Which has a restaurant?
Where is that restaurant?

Bridgeville (If You Lived here, You'd Be Home Now).
No clue.
Felton or Fredrica... up north.
Kirby and Holloway
No clue (I've driven past it, can't remember where, though)
Ralph And Paul Adams

...went past that RAPA factory 10,000 times when I was going back and forth from DC

blukeys
October 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
The Kirby and Holloway Restaurant is in Dover. The comapany's headquarters is in Felton. (If the Company headquarters were in Fredrica' Scrapple would be made from muskrat)

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Trivia (don't cheat):

Where is RAPA located?

I only know those two as I drive past it every time I go to the beach...

Speedtrap, DE
RAlph and PAul Adams

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I only know those two as I drive past it every time I go to the beach...

Speedtrap, DE
RAlph and PAul Adams

I got a $100 ticket there driving home after my orals.

Still had MD tags.

They see you coming.

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Answer Key

Where is RAPA located? Bridgeville, DE
Where is Kirby and Holloway located? Harrington, DE
Where is Hughes Delaware Maid located? Felton, DE
Which has a restaurant? Kirby & Holloway
Where is that restaurant? Dover, DE - Rt 13 S - about a 1/2 mile south of Dover Downs
Where did the name RAPA come from? Founders RAlph and PAul Adams

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM
(If the Company headquarters were in Fredrica' Scrapple would be made from muskrat)

We're saving muskrat for the playoffs.

Used to be a general store here (Tom Best) where you could get joist hangers and muskrat (or black powder and pate... depending on what turned you on)

It's an Ace Hardware now.

Sometimes, progress isn't improvement

JMUNJ08
October 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM
The latter - scrapple rules man, get with the program!!! xthumbsupx

Well I'll sign up for it in 2 years when JMU returns to UD

YoUDeeMan
October 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
We're saving muskrat for the playoffs.

Used to be a general store here (Tom Best) where you could get joist hangers and muskrat (or black powder and pate... depending on what turned you on)

It's an Ace Hardware now.

Sometimes, progress isn't improvement

Ahhhhh...muskrats. No comparison to scrapple.

http://movies.apunkachoice.com/names/ton/toni_tennille/cid_206112/videos/ceytid/xBYV_7a0FQs/captain---tennille-muskrat-love.html

Seems as though Henry wasn't a fan. :D

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ahhhhh...muskrats. No comparison to scrapple.

Seems as though Henry wasn't a fan.

Yeah, there's always that.

Always kinda baffled me that the same folks that would go out and spend $30+ on a dozen crabs would get this horrified look on their face if you talked about eating muskrat.

I mean, it makes perfect sense to eat aquatic spiders that scavenge dead flesh compared to a vegetarian mammal, right?

WMTribe90
October 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM

1 to a TB (Nova)
1 to a FB (UR)

Our two starting WRs were out the entire second half. We went to a running game in the second half and didn't need to pass. I have no idea how good JMU's DB's are, but the WM game is a poor case study.

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I got a $100 ticket there driving home after my orals.

Still had MD tags.

They see you coming.
What's odd is I always go through Bridgeville on the way down and through Greenwood on the way home. I have a little OCD when it comes to driving. I always try to avoid going home or backtracking the same route. Not sure why, but I prefer doing a loop rather than two straight lines. xnutsx

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
What's odd is I always go through Bridgeville on the way down and through Greenwood on the way home.

Ellendale and Greenwood are probably as bad as Bridgeville as speed traps.

If you take 9 from 1 to 113, you can jog north to Redden Road at G'town and then jog north again at 13 to the 404 bypass thru Cocked Hat. No traffic and never patrolled.

Just glad I live here now (actually, some thirty years, now). Hated that drive.

Few more years, folks around here'll almost see me as a local. Thank God for the expatriate community.

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
The Kirby and Holloway Restaurant is in Dover. The comapany's headquarters is in Felton. (If the Company headquarters were in Fredrica' Scrapple would be made from muskrat)

if I remember the Kirby Holloway was known as the Family Rest or am I confused, if headed north on 13 was on left side

I do know we couldnt sneak my grandfather by that place without stopping for a block of scrapple

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, there's always that.

Always kinda baffled me that the same folks that would go out and spend $30+ on a dozen crabs would get this horrified look on their face if you talked about eating muskrat.

I mean, it makes perfect sense to eat aquatic spiders that scavenge dead flesh compared to a vegetarian mammal, right?

dear old grandma used to crack muskrat skull and eat the brains, just laughed at us for being grossed out, she cooked it about twice a year, dark and greasy meat

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Born and raised in Sussex County.xnodx

xnodx

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but you do have the advantage of better weather - you could order scrapple to be delivered and eat it outside on a patio. I'll be eating it behind a minivan and sitting on lawn furniture in a parking lot. xrotatehx

the other night I could have deep fried some on the back patio (refinery blew up about a mile from here) shook the whole house, 2.9 on the richter scale

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Was actually the second biggest reason I moved away from Sussex County. :p

city boy from Sussex? how can this be

93henfan
October 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
if I remember the Kirby Holloway was known as the Family Rest or am I confused, if headed north on 13 was on left side

I do know we couldnt sneak my grandfather by that place without stopping for a block of scrapple

xnodx One and the same, my friend. One and the same. xthumbsupx

I recall the humor of the non-smoking section in the pre-Minner days. The whole place was a cloud of smoke, so it didn't really matter where you sat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/1622549678_f939bfbfe6.jpg

Oldhen
October 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
dear old grandma used to crack muskrat skull and eat the brains, just laughed at us for being grossed out, she cooked it about twice a year, dark and greasy meat

My great uncle's fourth or fifth wife (not kidding) made great muskrat. Soaked it in brine two days... changed the water a couple of times.... simmered it a couple of hours with onions, then floured and deep fried it. I never thought it was all that gamey, but I haven't had it in decades. Might have to schlep up to Smyrna and get some this year.

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
xnodx One and the same, my friend. One and the same. xthumbsupx

I recall the humor of the non-smoking section in the pre-Minner days. The whole place was a cloud of smoke, so it didn't really matter where you sat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/1622549678_f939bfbfe6.jpg

thats the placexnodx

proasu89
October 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM
That was much ado about nothing. I never stopped eating it the whole time.

I go back and forth between that and our IGA's homemade. (PS... my dad's family is Pennsylvania Dutch, and I grew up with it, and have decades of Habersett experience.... and agree Habersett'll do). You ever come down to the DE beaches, go to Lloyd's IGA in Lewes and get theirs. They carry Old Milton, too.

There's a farmer's market up off 322 (?) near Ephrata that also makes excellent homemade scrapple (and good kielbasa, too). Haven't been there in over twenty years, though... things change.

...and, again... if you get a chance, try some livermush. Not 100% the same.

Livermush or Liverpudding is what we call it here in the Carolinas.

http://www.neesesausage.com/products/default.htm

Liverpudding spread on a saltine w/ mustard made a great snack.

cougarpines
October 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
You can also get it in Eastern PA. It's not too bad

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 08:35 AM
city boy from Sussex? how can this be
Really more the other way around. Grew up in Wilmington and only spent two years in Sussex. I like Sussex better in a lot of ways. :)

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
This thread has officially been HIJACKED BY MYSTERY MEAT!!!

xshakingmadxxnutsxxscanx

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
If you take 9 from 1 to 113, you can jog north to Redden Road at G'town and then jog north again at 13 to the 404 bypass thru Cocked Hat. No traffic and never patrolled.
I'm coming from Milleville so I don't ever go 1. I know all the back roads and I do take them when I'm by myself, but with the family in the car we stick to larger ones. I will sometimes go out 26-24 to 13... NEVER a cop. I even know a couple really strange ways from 16 to Denton and from 13 to 50 cutting off in Harrington. You have to be creative coming back to DC on Sundays.

BDKJMU
October 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Our two starting WRs were out the entire second half. We went to a running game in the second half and didn't need to pass. I have no idea how good JMU's DB's are, but the WM game is a poor case study.

Not totally true. One of #4 McAulay's 2 receptions came in the 3rd qtr, so your 2 starting receivers weren't out the entire 2nd half. Maybe the 4th qtr. Archer did throw 8 passes in the 2nd half, and took a sack.

In pass coverage as a unit avg/decent. At least you can't have a bad secondary leading the league statistically in pass defense (yds per game, 141). Limited depth at corner right now with a 2 deep corner that went out during Liberty with a kidney injury and starter Taveion Cuffee out for several weeks due to foot/ankle injury suffered in Nova game. Now start 2 seniors, one being Scotty McGee. 3rd corner is a true freshman.

Only standout has been McGee. Started 12 games 06' as a rFR, 2 in 07' and 5 last yr. In the past has always seemed to be a decent/mediocre cover guy, but this year he seems to have imrpoved a good bit. This year I don't recall him getting beat (at least not deep). He was on W&M's leading receiver much of the game #4 McAulay, who had 2 catches for 9 yards. I'm sure he'll be matched up on Duncan for much of the UD game.

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
In pass coverage as a unit avg/decent. At least you can't have a bad secondary leading the league statistically in pass defense (yds per game, 141). Limited depth at corner right now with a 2 deep corner that went out during Liberty with a kidney injury and starter Taveion Cuffee out for several weeks due to foot/ankle injury suffered in Nova game. Now start 2 seniors, one being Scotty McGee. 3rd corner is a true freshman.

Only standout has been McGee. Started 12 games 06' as a rFR, 2 in 07' and 5 last yr. In the past has always seemed to be a decent/mediocre cover guy, but this year he seems to have imrpoved a good bit. This year I don't recall him getting beat (at least not deep). He was on W&M's leading receiver much of the game #4 McAulay, who had 2 catches for 9 yards. I'm sure he'll be matched up on Duncan for much of the UD game.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Take your football talk somewhere else. xnonox

:p

BDKJMU
October 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Take your football talk somewhere else. xnonox

:p

Someone needs to start up a UD-JMU thread for the football game then. Heck, as s****y as the season is going for JMU, some of us are still willing to talk about JMU's football....xsmiley_wix

JMU Newbill
October 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM
JMU has a football team?

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
WHAA'S LEFT O' IT.........WOULDN'T MAKE UH LOAF O' SCRAPPLE...:)...AWK!

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
T-minus 20 hours until the start of Scrapplefest IX in the Gold Lot!!!!!xthumbsupxxbowxxthumbsupx

JMU Newbill
October 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
So UD... how does it feel finally going into a game against JMU that you know you are going to dominate? It's been a while since either team has had that feeling going into a game against each other.

Dukie95
October 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
So UD... how does it feel finally going into a game against JMU that you know you are going to dominate? It's been a while since either team has had that feeling going into a game against each other.

xconfusedx Don't know about you, but it was pretty clear to me that UD was no threat last year.

UncleSam
October 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
xconfusedx Don't know about you, but it was pretty clear to me that UD was no threat last year.

The only threat that UD represented last was to the Blue Hen's fine football tradition.