PDA

View Full Version : my comments on the GSU-ASU game and Armanti Edwards

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Just got back from Boone. Mad props and credit has to go to ASU's offense. I stand by what I have said about our defense, no matter what the crybaby, fickle portion of our fan base says. It has been good in 2008 and 2009 when the offense is not constantly coughing up turnovers. The only two teams to score nearly that many points on us this year both got some help from four GSU turnovers. F'n UGA took out Matt Stafford and Knoshaun(sp?) Moreno in about the same phase of the game that Moore took Edwards out of the game and they didn't get close to F'n 700 yards of offense. And UGA got the same number of GSU giveaways that App. did. And for any GSU fan that would say "OMG, you think we played well on defense?!?!?! The slant route was open all day!!!!1 Ashley Anders is an idiot!!!!1 Sam Baker eats babies!!!1". Put a f^&*ing lid on it, I don't want to hear it. The slant passes were not the difference in the game and defense was focused and was playing like their usual selves (at least until mid early in the third quarter or so). The matchup between ASU’s offense and GSU’s defense did not look like an FCS game.

On Edwards, the guy is as good as he has been in his whole career, at least from what I have seen. A lot of four-year starters may not improve much between their third and fourth year but he has. I honestly think he is one of the top 5 best college QBs in the nation (not a top pro-prospect, but college QB). I don’t think he will be on an NFL roster as a QB, but I take back what I said about NFL teams not at least giving him a chance. I think they will be intrigued with his passing ability and will give him a shot. Happy graduation, Armanti. Why on earth did you have to take so long to get your degree?

The only thing I’ll say of App. that is not complimentary is that ASU’s secondary had better not get cocky. On three different offensive series there was a play where GSU had a wide receiver that had the App defender beat by more than 5 yards and we either overthrew the receiver or bobbled the pass.

One final note: that was the worst officiating I have seen in a long time but at least there was no clear favoritism.

proasu89
October 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
One final note: that was the worst officiating I have seen in a long time but at least there was no clear favoritism.
xnodx
And the beat goes on....week after week after week. I look forward to the playoffs just to see a decently called game

gophoenix
October 25th, 2009, 08:06 PM
xnodx
And the beat goes on....week after week after week. I look forward to the playoffs just to see a decently called game

You guys gripe, just hope you don't get a MEAC crew. I have seen enough Elon vs Del St and A&T games to know that SoCon is light years better.

proasu89
October 25th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You guys gripe, just hope you don't get a MEAC crew. I have seen enough Elon vs Del St and A&T games to know that SoCon is light years better.

07 Championship game- Yea, I've seen the Meac at work xnodx I still get a chuckle at the refs calling a penalty on Delaware State.xlolx

theasushow
October 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM
good analysis. i think seeing AE play in person really makes a difference. just looking at his stats (while incredible) doesn't always do him justice. that may be one reason that app fans (who have seen him play often in person) are so high on him. just seeing the statistics doesnt always show HOW he rushed for 200 yards or HOW he threw for 400, when you see him in person though he usually leaves an impression. and yes you are right, i can specifically think of 2 plays where GSU got about 10 yards past the app secondary and had the passes been completed they would have been a sure TD. the officiating was mediocre at best but i have sorta come to expect that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
One more comment - good to see the App. sideline kneeling down to pray for GSU's injured player. Jerry Moore is one of my top-5 favorite college football coaches no matter who he coaches.

Cue someone saying Jerry Moore is stepping on people's religious freedoms by praying for the well-being of someone who could be seriously injured. xrolleyesx

blackNgold93
October 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
One more comment - good to see the App. sideline kneeling down to pray for GSU's injured player. Jerry Moore is one of my top-5 favorite college football coaches no matter who he coaches.

Cue someone saying Jerry Moore is stepping on people's religious freedoms by praying for the well-being of someone who could be seriously injured. xrolleyesx

Any official word on the young man that was injured? I heard he was released from the hospital and made it back to GSU, but I never heard what the injury was. I'm just glad it wasn't a permanent spinal injury. I wish him a speedy recovery as well as anyone else that was injured in the game. It is amazing what these young men sacrifice for their education and our entertainment.

Native
October 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Worst college officiating I ever saw was Alcorn at Missippi Valley State (SWAC).

Fear the Bird
October 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
07 Championship game- Yea, I've seen the Meac at work xnodx I still get a chuckle at the refs calling a penalty on Delaware State.xlolx

Man I remember that - ASU fans couldn't have asked for a more perfect turn of events. As if the destruction wasn't enough,the refs provided them with more fuel to fire up the UD fansxsmhx

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM

id bet that the players did that on their own. either that or they were led by blake elder. our team has some real stand up guys, and some AWESOME leaders of men. moore and the other coaches (including the young ones ie. jon holt, nick cardwell, etc) help develop the kids that come to boone into men who know how to act when something like that happens to an opposing player. i agree with you...if there is one thing appalachian fans can always be proud of, it is our leadership.xreadxxcoffeexxthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
fcs_pwns_fbs.....how were you treated while in boone? getting any better?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM

Fourth trip to Boone....still no problems. I'm knocking on wood because I intend to keep making that trip whenever I can.

KiddBrewer
October 26th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Fourth trip to Boone....still no problems. I'm knocking on wood because I intend to keep making that trip whenever I can.

xthumbsupx:D

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM

This was my best trip to Boone as far as interaction with App State fans goes, but I'm thinking that's a good news/bad news situation for us, i.e. y'all can't get too worked up about a game with us at this stage.

Woof
October 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Ditto. I thought the exact same thing. As much as we all love the game, there are much more important things. Nice to see the App players (Elder) taking the lead on that. Excellent sportsmanship.xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
October 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
This was my best trip to Boone as far as interaction with App State fans goes, but I'm thinking that's a good news/bad news situation for us, i.e. y'all can't get too worked up about a game with us at this stage.

I disagree...

I don't care if App is undefeated and GSU is winless coming into the game. I will ALWAYS be nervous before this game.

PhoenixMan
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
id bet that the players did that on their own. either that or they were led by blake elder. our team has some real stand up guys, and some AWESOME leaders of men. moore and the other coaches (including the young ones ie. jon holt, nick cardwell, etc) help develop the kids that come to boone into men who know how to act when something like that happens to an opposing player. i agree with you...if there is one thing appalachian fans can always be proud of, it is our leadership.xreadxxcoffeexxthumbsupx

That was an awesome gesture. The above quoted post, however, makes me wish there was an emoticon for vomiting. xeekx

WVAPPmountaineer
October 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I disagree...

I don't care if App is undefeated and GSU is winless coming into the game. I will ALWAYS be nervous before this game.

I agree - this is always a big game regardless of records - I read a recent interview with Corey Lynch and when asked who was APP's biggest rival - he said Georgia Southern --- If you were there Saturday, you saw the crowd on a raw day with the game on TV - The crowd and players were pumped and I believe it was because GSU was in town ----

WVAPPmountaineer
October 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
And I want to add that Armanti Edwards might be the most gifted QB I have ever seen play and I have been watching football for almost 60 years - He never ceases to amaze me ----

Woof
October 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
That was an awesome gesture. The above quoted post, however, makes me wish there was an emoticon for vomiting. xeekx

There is and unfortunately I have had to use it a lot this year.:pumpuke:

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I disagree...

Maybe so, but I didn't see the animosity or even nearly as much emotion out of your fan base this year as I had previously. Not saying that's a bad thing by any means, just my observation.

APP91
October 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM

FCS, I saw a post on the MMB where Margaret Moore (Jerry's Wife) went to the hospital with the young man since his parents were not in Boone for the game. I thought that was pretty cool.

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM
FCS, I saw a post on the MMB where Margaret Moore (Jerry's Wife) went to the hospital with the young man since his parents were not in Boone for the game. I thought that was pretty cool.

If true I think that's much more than cool, and as an Eagle fan I really appreciate it. A situation like that injury certainly tends to put things in perspective, and as much as I hated that we lost as we did, I'm grateful for all of the compassion shown by the App State family to Hudson and about his situation.

elon77
October 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe so, but I didn't see the animosity or even nearly as much emotion out of your fan base this year as I had previously. Not saying that's a bad thing by any means, just my observation.

they are saving all their emotion for their trip to Elon.

Waco Kid
October 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
If true I think that's much more than cool, and as an Eagle fan I really appreciate it. A situation like that injury certainly tends to put things in perspective, and as much as I hated that we lost as we did, I'm grateful for all of the compassion shown by the App State family to Hudson and about his situation.

One thing I noticed watching the reply when I got home was the "respect" that each team had for the other. Usually in heated rivalries you see a lot of trash talking going on, but both teams seemed to keep everything clean. Come to think of it I don't remember seeing as much talk between ASU/GSU in most years as I have in a lot of our other games.

Your team looks a lot like our 2004 team that you beat 54-7. Lots of young players trying to figure out the college game.

james_lawfirm
October 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
they are saving all their emotion for their trip to Elon.

You are right about that. Can't wait. First Furman.

APP91
October 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Haven't seen confirmation anywhere else yet, but I know she did a couple of years ago against Mars Hill in a similar situation.

GATA
October 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Good God.

That Ass beating we took from App State on Saturday reminded me of the 2004 game in Statesboro...sometimes you just get your ass kicked.

The only reason I'm not completely giving up on Georgia Southern is that we CLEARLY suck. We're a long way from being a good team. If we hadn't already been blown out by SDSU I would have been more shocked.

Good luck to App State and Elon in the playoffs. Georgia Southern has some serious work to do. We have ZERO talent.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM
We have ZERO talent.

What makes you say that? I would have thought our overall mediocrity as a team has more to do with the number of young players on the two-deep. It's 32 of 48, according to the GSU board.

GATA
October 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
What makes you say that? I would have thought our overall mediocrity as a team has more to do with the number of young players on the two-deep. It's 32 of 48, according to the GSU board.

That may be so...but none of those kids is any good. Jamere Valentine is a decent player and Adam Urbano is a decent player...not good...decent. I know talent when I see it. If you have to even hesitate to say whether a player is special or not then he's not.

Lee Chapple is a below average quarterback. I hope the Henton haters are happy. I've never seen a kid as terrible and statuesque in the pocket. He has absolutely zero ability to avoid a sack. Unless everything on a play goes perfect (which NEVER happens) the kids is not going to be able to make a play.

Only one time has this guy rolled outside the pocket and made a play and that was against Chatty when he hit J.J. Wilcox. The rest of the season has been him throwing interceptions and taking sacks in between completing screen passes.

Hatcher would be better off taking the North Alabama approach and just going after tons of transfers...there is nothing wrong with that. You need talent to win in this league and we don't have any. We don't run the triple option anymore...there is no offensive scheme to hide our athletic deficiencies anymore. Brian VanGorder instantly realized that when he came to GSU which is part of the reason why he left after one year.

KJ Eagle
October 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That may be so...but none of those kids is any good. Jamere Valentine is a decent player and Adam Urbano is a decent player...not good...decent. I know talent when I see it. If you have to even hesitate to say whether a player is special or not then he's not.

Lee Chapple is a below average quarterback. I hope the Henton haters are happy. I've never seen a kid as terrible and statuesque in the pocket. He has absolutely zero ability to avoid a sack. Unless everything on a play goes perfect (which NEVER happens) the kids is not going to be able to make a play.

Only one time has this guy rolled outside the pocket and made a play and that was against Chatty when he hit J.J. Wilcox. The rest of the season has been him throwing interceptions and taking sacks in between completing screen passes.

Hatcher would be better off taking the North Alabama approach and just going after tons of transfers...there is nothing wrong with that. You need talent to win in this league and we don't have any. We don't run the triple option anymore...there is no offensive scheme to hide our athletic deficiencies anymore. Brian VanGorder instantly realized that when he came to GSU which is part of the reason why he left after one year.

'skins...is that you? xrotatehx

seantaylor
October 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
'skins...is that you? xrotatehx

No, this is.

gsu1moretime
October 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hatcher is an idiot... he is in love with adam urbano.. i dont know how many times this guy can mess up yet he is still on the field. When another running back missed a block once and hasn't touched the field since. But Urbano has fumbled it and missed a wide open touchdown to tie the game 14-14 at app but he is still on the field? Chappell is an ok qb.. but you have to have wr. we have none. Valentine is a bust. we have the talent run the ball... give the defense a chance. Zeke Rozier, Noley, Robinson and so many more good running backs. The offense of line is big and strong let them block.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 28th, 2009, 06:54 AM
The difference I have seen in the last couple of years regarding GSU is the lack of speed you guys used to have at all positions - Granted you lost great coaches in the last 10 years but from my view as an outsider your problems began with the firing of Sewak and the hiring of that idiot who moved Jayson Foster to WR ---- Hatcher seems to have been put in a real tough situation that will take more than 3 years to correct - As other non-GSU fans have stated before - it makes us all better when GSU fields a strong team ----

KJ Eagle
November 8th, 2009, 09:31 AM
No, this is.

xlolx