PDA

View Full Version : Better Resume: McNeese St. Vs Delaware Vs. App. St. Vs. NAU

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
To me, these 4 teams are fighting for the final two At-Large spots at the end of this weekends' games:

Appalachian St. (5-2)
http://espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2026

McNeese St. (5-2)
http://espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2377

U. Of Delaware (5-2, 4-2 vs. FCS)
http://espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=48

Northern Arizona (5-2, 4-2 vs. FCS)
http://espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2464

All 4 teams should be ranked within the top 13 in all 3 polls and most of the Computer Rankings.

Which two teams right now, with 4 games left, are currently in and which two teams are outside looking in?

To me, whichever of these four teams are left out will have a major problem with the committee ESPECIALLY if they all end up 9-2.

App. St. Has to play at Furman & Elon and have Chatty & Western Carolina @ home. If App wins all their games, they would have the So Con AQ and Elon might miss the playoffs again.

McNeese has Sam Houston & Central Ark at home and go to Nicholls St & Tx. St.

Delaware has JMU and Hofstra at home but end the season on the road at Navy & 'Nova.

Northern Arizona has three straight road games with Sac. St., Ole Miss & Weber St. but end their season at home against Eastern Washington.

To me, I believe that App. St. and McNeese St. will be the last two in but what do you guys think? xconfusedx

SoConisMyAntiDrug
October 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I just wanted to say.........if App does beat Elon and Elon wins the other 3 games, with losses to only Wake Forest and App. State...... at 9-2, I can't see the committee leaving them out

msupokes1
October 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM
If McNeese wins out and finishes 9-2 with the two losses to FBS Tulane and top 15 SFA and wins over top 25 App and UCA, there should be no reason they would be left out but weirder things have happened.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
McNeese will go at least 3-1 in their remaining 4...IN
For sake of the argument, let's say App St. loses to Elon...Elon wins AQ. I think the Southern would get 2 in.

I think those two are in if they finish 3-1. The wild card would be if Northern Ariz. also finishes 3-1 and wins the "playoff play-in" game vs. Weber St. I think this would probably knock out McNeese because of the perceived weakness (and GPI numbers) of the Southland as a whole (compared to the Big Sky and Southern) and App St. would get the nod EVEN THOUGH they beat App St. in boone.

wow, i really hope that doesn't happen. that would be criminal.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The Selection Committee is going to have one long meeting on 11-22.

We also can't leave out Weber St, Mizzou St., FAMU*, Gardner-Webb* & Liberty*, Colgate* & Lafayette*, Cal Poly* & UC Davis*

*These teams have an outside shot due to their S.O.S.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I think NAU losses vs Ole Miss and Weber.

I also think UD finishes 7-4.

Out of those four, App and McNeese are the best bets.

Also, if App beat Elon and Elon wins all their other games (which they should @ Wofford, @WCU and @ Samford), that would have them at 9-2 and they should get in.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'd have to say McNeese and after that it is a complete toss up at this point.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hey WCAggie, who are your at-large and auto bids just so we have a basis for comparison?

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
UD will have to upset Nova and/or Navy or else they won't have 7 DI wins. They're out, IMO.

APP is not in yet, but with how they are playing it looks like they will find a way in.

NAU has a chance to get in but really needs to beat both EWU and Weber, which would effectively knock Weber out...

McNeese will be in if they get to 7 wins against DI, simply because of the win over App. However, at TXST and the game against UCA are both losable, and at that point, they'd be under the 7 win mark...

MR. CHICKEN
October 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
JMU & HOFSTRA @ TUBBY FIELD......WILL STILL BE TUFF...HEY IT'S DUH CAA WAY.......ROADIES TA ANNAPOLIS..&...DUH MAIN LINE...EVEN TUFFERAH.......GIVE DUH INVITES...TA DUH MOUSKETEERS & 'POKES..............DOODLE-DOO!

ThompsonThe
October 24th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Elon has a terrible habit of folding late in the season.
They have never beaten App State since they have been in the SoCon.
Elon is pretty one dimentional at receiver with Huggins.
Every year they do well up until they have to play App State.
Their QB is strickly a passer, cannot avoid the rush.
Every year people put them higher than they should be.
Appalachian beat them year before last with Apps back up QB....
Last year, after losing to App State, they lost to Liberty something like 26-3 in the final game.
Do not know why anyone would think that they could beat App State, or will do something other than fold again this year.

APPS
October 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
At-Large
UNH
WM
VU
ASU
SIU
UNI
McNeese
Cal Poly

AQ
UR
SCSU
Elon
HC
SDSU
UM
SFA
EIU

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hey WCAggie, who are your at-large and auto bids just so we have a basis for comparison?

At this point of the Season, the only team of this group out is Delaware.

Here are my outcomes, with four weeks left in the regular season:

1. Ricmond – CAA AQ
2. Montana – Big Sky AQ
3.Southern Ill. – MVFC AQ
4.Villanova – CAA At Large

New Hampshire – CAA At Large
William & Mary – CAA At Large
Elon – So Con AQ
South Dakota State – MVFC At Large

Northern Iowa – MVFC At Large
South Carolina St – MEAC AQ
Stephen F. Austin – SLC AQ
Appalachian St. - So Con At Large

Northern Arizona – Big Sky At Large
McNeese St. - SLC At Large
Holy Cross – PL AQ
East. KY – OVC AQ

CAA – 4, MVFC – 3, Big Sky – 2, SLC – 2, So. Con – 2, MEAC – 1, PL – 1, OVC - 1

First Round Games

Holy Cross - PL Vs. (1) Richmond - CAA

SC State. - MEAC Vs William & Mary - CAA

McNeese St. - SLC Vs. (2) Montana - Big Sky

SF Austin - SLC Vs. SD State - MVFC

East KY. - OVC Vs. (3)Southern Ill. - MVFC

Northern AZ - Big Sky Vs. Northern Iowa - MVFC

Elon - So Con Vs. (4)Villanova - CAA

App St. Son Vs. New Hampshire - CAA

msusig
October 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
OMG...I just witnessed a complete meltdown on special teams and the cowboys lived to survive it. McNeese has to get these fumbles and special teams under control. Seems like penalties has been fixed for this week. But lets see what happens next week because they never can seem to get all three under control.

Grizo406
October 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I think those two are in if they finish 3-1. The wild card would be if Northern Ariz. also finishes 3-1 and wins the "playoff play-in" game vs. Weber St. I think this would probably knock out McNeese because of the perceived weakness (and GPI numbers) of the Southland as a whole (compared to the Big Sky and Southern) and App St. would get the nod EVEN THOUGH they beat App St. in boone.

Not sure I understand the bolded part...a little help, please?

Phoenix87
October 24th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Last year, after losing to App State, they lost to Liberty something like 26-3 in the final game.
Do not know why anyone would think that they could beat App State, or will do something other than fold again this year.

I'm sorry but this is statement is just flat out wrong in concern to this years team. Ask any opponent who has played us this year and they will tell you that we are extremely MULTI-dimensional on offense at WR and with our balanced running attack.

And while we did have a total melt down against Liberty last season, the game up in Boone was the best played game of the season in the Socon. A dropped TD pass in the red zone to tie the game was dropped with under a minute to go to end the game. And in weather that was absolutely insane (rain, sleet, snow, extremely cold).

Lastly, our D is ranked #1 in the country in the FCS and our O is ranked #2 and is very balanced.

McNeese75
October 25th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Not sure I understand the bolded part...a little help, please?

I think he is inferring that ASU would get in over McNeese after the Cowboys beat them in Boone.

Native
October 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
If McNeese wins out and finishes 9-2 with the two losses to FBS Tulane and top 15 SFA and wins over top 25 App and UCA, there should be no reason they would be left out but weirder things have happened.

Agreed. That would be a pretty strong resume. Still gotta beat UCA, though! ...and the record would be 8-2 DI, not 9-2, since DII Henderson State does not count.

McNeese75
October 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Agreed. That would be a pretty strong resume. Still gotta beat UCA, though! ...and the record would be 8-2 DI, not 9-2, since DII Henderson State does not count.

Well then it would be 8-1 as FBS Tulane would not count either xconfusedx

Native
October 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Well then it would be 8-1 as FBS Tulane would not count either xconfusedx

Nope. Calm down.

DI wins count. DI losses only accrue to strength of schedule, game experience, and "bragging" rights.

Non-DI wins and losses don't count in the NCAA selection committee's considerations, except to weaken the strength of schedule.

Native
October 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I think he is inferring that ASU would get in over McNeese after the Cowboys beat them in Boone.

If McNeese beats UCA and Elon beats App State, I think McNeese gets the nod over Appy if it comes down to those two.

kirkblitz
October 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
To me, these 4 teams are fighting for the final two At-Large spots at the end of this weekends' games:

Appalachian St. (5-2)

McNeese St. (5-2)

U. Of Delaware (5-2)

Northern Arizona (5-2)

All 4 teams should be ranked within the top 13 in all 3 polls and most of the Computer Rankings.

Which two teams right now, with 4 games left, are currently in and which two teams are outside looking in?

To me, whichever of these four teams are left out will have a major problem with the committee ESPECIALLY if they all end up 9-2.

App. St. Has to play at Furman & Elon and have Chatty & Western Carolina @ home. If App wins all their games, they would have the So Con AQ and Elon might miss the playoffs again.

Delaware has JMU and Hofstra at home but end the season on the road at Navy & 'Nova.

Northern Arizona has three straight road games with Sac. St., Ole Miss & Weber St. but end their season at home against Eastern Washington.

To me, I believe that App. St. and McNeese St. will be the last two in but what do you guys think? xconfusedx

give lib some respect please

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 02:05 AM
if appalachian beats furman next weekend, they are in the playoffs. end of story.

Native
October 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Appalachian St. (5-2)

McNeese St. (5-2)

U. Of Delaware (5-2)

Northern Arizona (5-2)

McNeese and Delaware are both handicapped by having played a lower division team. Subtract one each win from their victory column.

Tribe4SF
October 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM
give lib some respect please

Liberty's loss at home to JMU is probably going to harpoon their playoff hopes.

iceman4221
October 25th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I just wanted to say.........if App does beat Elon and Elon wins the other 3 games, with losses to only Wake Forest and App. State...... at 9-2, I can't see the committee leaving them out

xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

I think NAU losses vs Ole Miss and Weber.

I also think UD finishes 7-4.

Out of those four, App and McNeese are the best bets.

Also, if App beat Elon and Elon wins all their other games (which they should @ Wofford, @WCU and @ Samford), that would have them at 9-2 and they should get in.

xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
October 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
UD always plays 'Nova tough, and being a rivalry game it never seems to go as expected. And the Navy game has gone Delaware's way plenty of times enough to no count that one out either. That being said, I wouldn't count my Blue Hens before they hatch. UD still has a tough road ahead of them, but at 8-3 they get in, 7-4 they won't.

App is almost a lock at this point, based on past success and they're play leading up to the end of the season, and I'm sure they want to give Edwards his swan song as well.

McNeese has an even tougher road than Delaware because they already lost their FBS game (Tulane) and still has UCA and Texas State left, I don't see them going 3-1 through that. They're out, even with their win over App @ App.

NAU, same problem as McNeese, games left against Weber and EWU, the Big Sky ism't getting three teams in this year, sorry.

Surprised you didn't mention Liberty WCA. They have the potential to win out. And depending on how close (or not close) these games are, the Flames could be the shock of the playoff selections as the last team in. Even with the loss to JMU.

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Agreed! If Elon's only SoCon loss is to App, or vice versa, they both get in without a doubt.

gophoenix
October 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Wow, someone is grossly informed! Or just blatantly being a troll...

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM
UD always plays 'Nova tough, and being a rivalry game it never seems to go as expected. And the Navy game has gone Delaware's way plenty of times enough to no count that one out either. That being said, I wouldn't count my Blue Hens before they hatch. UD still has a tough road ahead of them, but at 8-3 they get in, 7-4 they won't.

App is almost a lock at this point, based on past success and they're play leading up to the end of the season, and I'm sure they want to give Edwards his swan song as well.

McNeese has an even tougher road than Delaware because they already lost their FBS game (Tulane) and still has UCA and Texas State left, I don't see them going 3-1 through that. They're out, even with their win over App @ App.

NAU, same problem as McNeese, games left against Weber and EWU, the Big Sky ism't getting three teams in this year, sorry.

Surprised you didn't mention Liberty WCA. They have the potential to win out. And depending on how close (or not close) these games are, the Flames could be the shock of the playoff selections as the last team in. Even with the loss to JMU.

I know the loyal Flames fans are going to give me some flack but hear me out; Liberty have an outside shot at an AQ, along with Gardner-Webb, FAMU, Holy Cross, Lafayette & Colgate. These teams will be ranked from between 20-30 in all the polls and will have a "weak strength of schedule" according to the measuring computer rankings including the rankings that the Selection Committee will look at.

Liberty's schedule strength, for example, has fallen due to JMU's struggles. None of these teams have a top 10 or 15 win that will add value to their schedules.

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
McNeese and Delaware are both handicapped by having played a lower division team. Subtract one each win from their victory column.

I fixed it. Thanks. xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
October 25th, 2009, 09:01 AM
McNeese has an even tougher road than Delaware because they already lost their FBS game (Tulane) and still has UCA and Texas State left, I don't see them going 3-1 through that. They're out, even with their win over App @ App..

I don't know what the odds are but I think McNeese certainly has a shot at going 3-1 or even 4-0 the rest of the way if they play well and minimize mistakes. I know the only stat that counts in the won/loss column is the score, but McNeese has won the "statistical battle" (more first downs, more total yards) in every game its played this year including Tulane and SFA. The only reason it's lost any games is a tendency to incur self-inflicted wounds. Taking it one game at a time the Cowboys are certainly capable of beating anybody left on their schedule. In fact, right now, I think you'd probably have to make them the favorite in each individual game. Not that it'd be a shocker to see them lose any of the four and particuarly against Texas State and/or Central Arkansas. But I think they look to be the favorite in each individual game if you were to make the pick at this time.

appst97
October 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
At this point of the Season, the only team of this group out is Delaware.

Here are my outcomes, with four weeks left in the regular season:

1. Ricmond – CAA AQ
2. Montana – Big Sky AQ
3.Southern Ill. – MVFC AQ
4.Villanova – CAA At Large

New Hampshire – CAA At Large
William & Mary – CAA At Large
Elon – So Con AQ
South Dakota State – MVFC At Large

Northern Iowa – MVFC At Large
South Carolina St – MEAC AQ
Stephen F. Austin – SLC AQ
Appalachian St. - So Con At Large

Northern Arizona – Big Sky At Large
McNeese St. - SLC At Large
Holy Cross – PL AQ
East. KY – OVC AQ

CAA – 4, MVFC – 3, Big Sky – 2, SLC – 2, So. Con – 2, MEAC – 1, PL – 1, OVC - 1

First Round Games

Holy Cross - PL Vs. (1) Richmond - CAA

SC State. - MEAC Vs William & Mary - CAA

McNeese St. - SLC Vs. (2) Montana - Big Sky

SF Austin - SLC Vs. SD State - MVFC

East KY. - OVC Vs. (3)Southern Ill. - MVFC

Northern AZ - Big Sky Vs. Northern Iowa - MVFC

Elon - So Con Vs. (4)Villanova - CAA

App St. Son Vs. New Hampshire - CAA

With the current bidding process, I doubt App goes on the road in the 1st round.

boonegoon
October 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
At-Large
UNH
WM
VU
ASU
SIU
UNI
McNeese
Cal Poly

AQ
UR
SCSU
Elon
HC
SDSU
UM
SFA
EIU

Just an observation that you have ony 2 posts is 4 years. Wow

DG Cowboy
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
History gives the edge to App or Delaware over McNeese if the selection decision is even close. I think the remaining games for all the schools will take care of things on the field.

UD77
October 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
So far UD's only losses are to the #1 team (UR) by one point. And (I believe at the time) the #5 team - still top 8 team of W&M. I think we can lose one to either Navy or Nova but certain two losses and we are out.

bluehenbillk
October 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM
UNI may be a team that would have to sweat out Selection Sunday. Their best case is 8-3 with what a best win against Youngstown?