PDA

View Full Version : Does Southeastern have a chance at beating SFA???

joeymac007
October 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM
And if Southeastern beats SFA, and McNeese wins out, then SFA and McNeese would share the conference title, so who would get the autobid???

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I would assume SELA because of they have gone the longest since their last playoff appearance (never!). Think that's the rule.

msupokes1
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
And if Southeastern beats SFA, and McNeese wins out, then SFA and McNeese would share the conference title, so who would get the autobid???

SFA would get the autobid since they have the win over McNeese. Seeing both Southeastern and SFA in person, I would say that southeastern definetly has a chance. They looked way more physical than SFA did. But SFA is winning so I would say they are still the favorites.

sharkeycox
October 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I think SELA is a better team than SFA.

Both McNeese and SELA played sloppy games tonight.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
SFA would get the autobid since they have the win over McNeese. Seeing both Southeastern and SFA in person, I would say that southeastern definetly has a chance. They looked way more physical than SFA did. But SFA is winning so I would say they are still the favorites.

SFA gets the autobid because McNeese has gone to the playoffs more recently not because of the head to head win if both are tied in conference wins.

SFA vs SELU should be a good game but the Jacks have to get out of San Marcos next week first.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM

oh right...my bad. i forgot about your head-to-head tonight.xthumbsupx

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 02:03 AM
from what I saw of the Lions tonight they have the chance to beat the hell out of SFA.

lionsrking2
October 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM
from what I saw of the Lions tonight they have the chance to beat the hell out of SFA.

We match up well with both UCA and SFA, but we've got to get healed up first...we lost our two best WRs for most of the game...lost our starting tailback who only had eight carries...backup tailback played hurt most of the game...our QB banged his hand on a helmet on the second play of the game, then fell on his shoulder and played in severe pain the rest of the way...also got knocked silly on another play...our strong safety had his shoulder pop out again for the second time this year...I've never seen anything like it...looks like none of the injuries are season ending, but we'll be hobbling for a few days for sure.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but if we're fortunate enough to win out, and McNeese and SFA win out (assuming we beat SFA), we'll all finish 6-1...I still can't get a straight answer on the tie-breakers, but I believe it would favor us in a three-way tie.

txst80
October 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Not to put the cart before the horse, but if we're fortunate enough to win out, and McNeese and SFA win out (assuming we beat SFA), we'll all finish 6-1...I still can't get a straight answer on the tie-breakers, but I believe it would favor us in a three-way tie.

I can assure you there won't be three 6-1 teams at the end. This is the Southland, 5-2 often wins this conference. Anybody can beat anybody in this league. If anybody goes 6-1, I bet they win the conference outright.

lionsrking2
October 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I can assure you there won't be three 6-1 teams at the end. This is the Southland, 5-2 often wins this conference. Anybody can beat anybody in this league. If anybody goes 6-1, I bet they win the conference outright.

Never said there would be - just responding to another post about tiebreakers and what happens if we "beat SFA" etc.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 03:20 AM
someone correct me if I am wrong but in order for Southeastern to go to the playoffs they would have to win the conference out right which is impossible now because they will not have have the seven D1 wins. Div 2 and 3 schools don't count towards that total do they? If not the most wins they could end up with is 6.

lionsrking2
October 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM
someone correct me if I am wrong but in order for Southeastern to go to the playoffs they would have to win the conference out right which is impossible now because they will not have have the seven D1 wins. Div 2 and 3 schools don't count towards that total do they? If not the most wins they could end up with is 6.

Yeah, Alcorn screwed us when they backed out at the last minute, plus we had our collective heads up our rear-ends at South Dakota.

Best we could hope for is for McNeese to lose another one and us win out, or us win out and force a three-way tie with McNeese/SFA.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
a SWAC school not keeping their word on a scheduled date. imagine that.

JohnStOnge
October 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM
As noted, Southeastern Louisiana came out of last night's game with some pretty significant injury problems. Certainly they'd have a shot at SFA with the team they went into the McNeese game with. No way of knowing for sure what the injury problems mean but, obviously, if the players that were hurt weren't perceived as being better options at their positions than the players behind them, they wouldn't have been where they were. I think a lot is going to depend on how serious the injuries are and the extent to which players can come back from them and be effective.

El Gato
October 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Not quite.

If SELA and Texas State win out they would be the only teams with 6-1 records, as SFA would be 5-2 with two losses, one to the Bobcats and the other to the Lions. In that case both teams are tied for 1st and SELA gets the auto bid by virtue of the being out of the playoffs the longest rule.

txstatebobcat
October 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
From what I've heard, in case of a three way tie, the AQ goes to the team with the longest time since they've been to the playoffs. This would be SLU. However its still to early to tell as SFA, MSU, SLU, TxSt and UCA are all either undefeated or one loss teams.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
that might be the rule but it sucks. schools that have been to the playoffs and has had a competitive season(s) should not be kept out of the playoffs because a school has been a loser for so many years and I am not singling out any school in particular.

LIONFAN85
October 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I agree with you Cross. But I will take it for our programs sake.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
i agree with you 100% crossfire. just curious as to what everyone thinks would make a better option for solving a multi-team tie.

Would you go Big XII style and go with the highest ranked team in a certain poll?

Could margin of victory come into play?

What about overall and out of conference records?

THOUGHTS?

TexasTerror
October 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
From what I've heard, in case of a three way tie, the AQ goes to the team with the longest time since they've been to the playoffs. This would be SLU. However its still to early to tell as SFA, MSU, SLU, TxSt and UCA are all either undefeated or one loss teams.

Thought if a team was 2-0 against the other two, they earned passage. The three-way tie with the longest time away from the playoffs is if they are 1-1, which typically is the case in such a scenario.

lionsrking2
October 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
that might be the rule but it sucks. schools that have been to the playoffs and has had a competitive season(s) should not be kept out of the playoffs because a school has been a loser for so many years and I am not singling out any school in particular.

There's merit to your argument, but I think it's a good rule to give programs that haven't to the playoffs recently, the benefit of the doubt in a tie-breaker - and I say that not because it would benefit us...the more teams from a conference that become exposed to the playoffs, the better it is for the league overall, IMO.

Again, not putting cart before horse - but as a hypothetical - if us, SFA and McNeese, all finish 6-1, there would be a good case for getting three SLC teams into the playoffs...we would get the autobid and McNeese and SFA would both finish 9-2, against pretty good schedules.

El Gato
October 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM
There's merit to your argument, but I think it's a good rule to give programs that haven't to the playoffs recently, the benefit of the doubt in a tie-breaker - and I say that not because it would benefit us...the more teams from a conference that become exposed to the playoffs, the better it is for the league overall, IMO.

Again, not putting cart before horse - but as a hypothetical - if us, SFA and McNeese, all finish 6-1, there would be a good case for getting three SLC teams into the playoffs...we would get the autobid and McNeese and SFA would both finish 9-2, against pretty good schedules.

Good point. This would probably be the best bet for the SLC getting three teams in.

txst80
October 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thought if a team was 2-0 against the other two, they earned passage. The three-way tie with the longest time away from the playoffs is if they are 1-1, which typically is the case in such a scenario.

Yeah this is the first tie-breaker in a 3 way tie, all three teams are often 1-1 though. But if one team is 2-0 against the other teams tied for the top spot, that team would go.

crossfire07
October 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
a team going to the playoffs still ought to have to have the 7 D1 wins. that ought to be a non negotiable rule. no 7 D1 wins no playoffs.

msupokes1
October 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
SFA gets the autobid because McNeese has gone to the playoffs more recently not because of the head to head win if both are tied in conference wins.

SFA vs SELU should be a good game but the Jacks have to get out of San Marcos next week first.

The playoff scenario only comes into play if there is a three way tie for first. If it is just a two way tie then they look at head to head first.