PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now, but it looks like ASU has come to play

appst97
October 24th, 2009, 08:36 PM
after today, can you really keep ASU out of the championship picture?

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Yes, since I am listening to McNeese lose to Southeastern Louisiana.

Beat Elon, then bump this thread... Otherwise, enjoy doing yardwork all offseason.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
look at their OVERALL resume and the rankings man. As I said in an earlier post, App St is a LEGIT top 10 team.

ASU_Fanatic
October 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I think that win was a huge momentum builder for us.

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:42 PM
look at their OVERALL resume and the rankings man. As I said in an earlier post, App St is a LEGIT top 10 team.

Overall resume...

hmmm...

OT win over Citadel, 10 point win over Wofford, loss to McNeese, blowout of a below average GSo team.

Top 10? No. Top 25? I suppose...

proasu89
October 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Beat Elon, then bump this thread... Otherwise, enjoy doing yardwork all offseason.

Please share your post season regimen.xwhistlex

T-Dog
October 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The pieces are steadily coming together, especially on defense. Holding GaSo to 171 yards of total offense and 7 sacks sounds impressive.

A win at Furman would be impressive......last week. Now that they lost to El Cit, it's not as impressive.

App might not have the impressive conference wins that Elon have (minus today), but the fact remains that Elon has more to prove than App does.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Overall resume...

hmmm...

OT win over Citadel, 10 point win over Wofford, loss to McNeese, blowout of a below average GSo team.

And liberty's resume is better?xeyebrowx

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
[/SIZE]

Please share your post season regimen.xwhistlex

Mission work with Tim Tebow. xthumbsupx

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
And liberty's resume is better?

I was never arguing Liberty was better. Stop being a troll.

appst97
October 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Overall resume...

hmmm...

sweeeeet I'm glad we have your top 25 vote.

ASU_Fanatic
October 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Our D was so good today cause' Lloyd didn't start! Duh!

ToTheLeft
October 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
App is a very good team. I am not denying that. But our Aggie friend saying ya'll are top 10 based on RESUME is false. Talent? Top 10 for sure. Resume? Nope.

justsaying
October 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I was never arguing Liberty was better. Stop being a troll.

You should have no business even commenting on anything relating to ASU and their quality of wins xsmhx

mistersykes
October 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
App is improving, but we're still a long way from being the team to beat nationally. In the socon, it looks like us and Elon are ahead of the pack, but we'll know a lot more in a couple of weeks. I feel good about where we are though.

proasu89
October 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Mission work with Tim Tebow. xthumbsupx

Name Dropperxlolx

APPdopted
October 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
If App had played the way they did today this whole season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But that's how it works I guess. Although, I keep telling people this: even as "bad" as they've been they're only two TD's away from an undefeated season, which would include a win against FBS ECU. Even the McNeese game where the D was atrocious, it could've gone either way in the end.
For those talking about the Citadel OT win, and the close Wofford win, Champions win with blow outs, but they also find a way to win the close ones.

LacesOut
October 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Should App be crowned National Champ now?

Should I even bother to pay attention to the rest of the football season and the playoffs???

Please, let me know.

ASU_Fanatic
October 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
If App had played the way they did today this whole season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But that's how it works I guess. Although, I keep telling people this: even as "bad" as they've been they're only two TD's away from an undefeated season, which would include a win against FBS ECU. Even the McNeese game where the D was atrocious, it could've gone either way in the end.
For those talking about the Citadel OT win, and the close Wofford win, Champions win with blow outs, but they also find a way to win the close ones.Or if Vitaris hits those fieldgoals against McNeese....

APPdopted
October 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Or if Vitaris hits those fieldgoals against McNeese....

Very true! At least he's seemed to come around now.

appst97
October 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Should App be crowned National Champ now?

Should I even bother to pay attention to the rest of the football season and the playoffs???

Please, let me know.

Thats your call

CID1990
October 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Apparently The Citadel is a top 25 team at home, and a bottom 25 team away.

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Beating up on GaSo. isn't really that much of a feat this year.

SDSU did it.

If ASU wins out, then they can talk. Beat Eloan, first. xnodx

ThompsonThe
October 24th, 2009, 11:38 PM
YES, crown Appalachian Champion.....Right Now !!!
Sounds good to me.

Every year Elon is put out there as some great team, until they play App State.
Elon is a one dimensional team with only Huggins as a major threat.
Elon's QB cannot run, or avoid the sack.
App State beat Elon with their back up QB only playing year before last....Huggins and their QB were there then.
Elon always folds late in the year (after playing App State).
Elon, after being ranked what 3d last year, ended the season losing to Liberty 26-3.
Love the way that posters every year get hung up on lauding Elon so much.....then the truth finally comes out.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Beat Elon, then bump this thread.

Beat Eloan, first. xnodx

I wish we could play Elon this week so we could beat them and everyone would STFU about giving Elon the SoCon title already.

However, we have to play Furman first. Then UTC before playing Elon. We'll just take care of business for now and then "upset" Elon on November 14th.

GGASU
October 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Beating up on GaSo. isn't really that much of a feat this year.

SDSU did it.

If ASU wins out, then they can talk. Beat Eloan, first. xnodx

SDSU has a great chance at being a seed in the playoffs by winning the MVC.

ASU has learned to play defense....uhhhh ohhhhh

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM
if appalachian goes undefeated from here on out, they would be the number 5 seed, if there was one

you can look back on the first two games as much you want (5 point games, btw). all we care about is december

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I wish we could play Elon this week so we could beat them and everyone would STFU about giving Elon the SoCon title already.

However, we have to play Furman first. Then UTC before playing Elon. We'll just take care of business for now and then "upset" Elon on November 14th.

sad that it can be considered an upset by beating a team that has NEVER beaten usxoopsx

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
sad that it can be considered an upset by beating a team that has NEVER beaten usxoopsx

Never? Actually Elon has beaten App St. 9 times, and tied once. It was prior to Elon joining the SoCon, but your post said never.

ItsyBitsySpider
October 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
come on already ... everyone knows App is a contender. Don't play the disrespect card. You have the most dynamic player in FCS which automatically makes you a threat to win it all. Hopefully Richmond can lock down homefield throughout the playoffs because we play much better at home ... something like 30+ points in 15 straight home games now.

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
For those talking about the Citadel OT win, and the close Wofford win, Champions win with blow outs, but they also find a way to win the close ones.

And thus my ranking them in the top ten; despite all computer ranking systems having them in a down year. I wouldn't bet against them vs any SoCon team.

GaSouthern
October 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
App state is not that great anymore, GSU is simply that bad.

ElonPride
October 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
YES, crown Appalachian Champion.....Right Now !!!
Sounds good to me.

Every year Elon is put out there as some great team, until they play App State.
Elon is a one dimensional team with only Huggins as a major threat.

The game last season was close at the rock!

One dimensional team? You don't consider defense and special teams a dimension of the game?

yosef1969
October 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Never? Actually Elon has beaten App St. 9 times, and tied once. It was prior to Elon joining the SoCon, but your post said never.

I heard an ASU fan recently say the same thing, that ASU has never lost to Elon, but you're correct. Not sure where that notion is coming from, probably just based on recent history as you alluded to. IIRC ASU just under 30 (27 or 28 can't remember exactly) wins up against Elon's 9 (and of course the one tie), with Elon's last win coming back in 1964 or 65. That last win against ASU was when both teams were NAIA. The series dates back to the late '30s and the teams met regularly in the 50's and 60's as members of the North State and Carolinas Conferences. The series took a 30+ year hiatus from the early 70's until Elon joined the SoCon in '03.

Rekdiver
October 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not worried about Elon.. Haloween and furman are the only game we need to worry about right now. I remember having a big win against Wake Forest and the next weekend losing to FU.

We'll worry about playoffs after we win the next 4 games.

ASUG8
October 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Three weeks ago half the App bandwagon was ready to throw themselves off a bridge, and now we're ready to win another NC? We had a good game this week, so pat yourselves on the backs for now and begin looking toward a tough game against the Paladins on Halloween - one game at time folks. We looked good Saturday, but that's the first full game we've played this season - let's get a few more before we annoint ourselves even SoCon champs, much less national champs. xnonox

JROCK98
October 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not worried about Elon.. Haloween and furman are the only game we need to worry about right now. I remember having a big win against Wake Forest and the next weekend losing to FU.

We'll worry about playoffs after we win the next 4 games.

Exactly Rek, this APP team needs to focus on the task at hand and this week that is Furman! Still a lot of football to be played!

apaladin
October 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
It is OK to look past Furman, really, not tongue in cheek. After an absolutely horrible performance in Chucktown, arguably the worst FU defensive performance in 40 years, I expect Coach Lamb and company or ready to throw in the towel like last year. Maybe, just maybe this could be his last throw in the towel season. He is getting lots of heat on the FU board.

ASU 52-24

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Three weeks ago half the App bandwagon was ready to throw themselves off a bridge, and now we're ready to win another NC? We had a good game this week, so pat yourselves on the backs for now and begin looking toward a tough game against the Paladins on Halloween - one game at time folks. We looked good Saturday, but that's the first full game we've played this season - let's get a few more before we annoint ourselves even SoCon champs, much less national champs. xnonox

Exactly what I've been saying. Let's see this team put up 4 more efforts in the next 4 weeks and then I'll be convinced. This has happened before and the team gets better every week. That is what I like to see. Let's keep it going and see what happens.

It was good to see the App fans leaving the game yesterday with smiles instead of just shaking their heads. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
October 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM

xrolleyesx I guess you quit listening didn't you. xrotatehx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You can play App State in the playoffs.... I know that I don't want to do so... not as long as AE is lining up under center, xeekx .... Give me Holy Cross or Lafayette 100 times out of 100... xnodx

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
You can play App State in the playoffs.... I know that I don't want to do so... not as long as AE is lining up under center, xeekx .... Give me Holy Cross or Lafayette 100 times out of 100... xnodx

I have been to every game Armanti has played for ASU and I have never seen him line up under center, never.xlolx

But you make a VERY GOOD POINT!

PhoenixMan
October 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have been to every game Armanti has played for ASU and I have never seen him line up under center, never.xlolx

I have only seen him play a couple of times, and I have seen him under center....when it's time to take a knee and let the clock run out.

EmeryZach
October 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM

You guys waited a long time to start with this this year.xrotatehxxlolx

The Moody1
October 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM

He lined up under center for the last play of the JMU play-off game in "07.

Reign of Terrier
October 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
now fellas, we shouldn't give the NC crown to Elon or App just yet, it rightfully belongs to GSU--not Georgia southern, but Georgia State...have any of you been doing your homework

xrolleyesx

SideLine Shooter
October 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I stand corrected. Is that the only time?

KiddBrewer
October 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I stand corrected. Is that the only time?

only time i recall. we dont even line up under-center with 4th and 1 on the 1.xcoffeex

soccerguy315
October 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
1. I think App State is good and has a good chance to go deep in the playoffs

2. My opinion of how good App State has not changed at all with the results this weekend. They beat a terrible team, like they should.

appirishmen
October 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
ok guys. i will preserve our playoff birth untill i see next week. our d looked really good against GSU this week and did what they could not do all season.... stop long 3rd down conversions. i will wait and see if our D comes to play next week. i do say i am a little more confident about our team now seeing what ive known they can do. i am really surprised that we blew out GSU. I love App football!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was born black and gold....i will die black and gold!!!

james_lawfirm
October 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I think you're right. I do recall that AE had to practice taking snaps on the sidelines during the timeout, b/c we never do that.

ChiefGSU275
October 26th, 2009, 05:01 AM
ASU looked very impressive. I've seen them play a couple of times this year on TV (citadel and now GSU), and they look very good offensively. BUT, GSU is pretty awful this year, so holding our offense to low yardage and with alot of sacks isnt a great accomplishment.

Not raining on the mountainfolks parade, but just wouldnt use GSU as a measuring stick.

jus10asu
October 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM

I feel ya man.... lets just lay low and quit having diarrhea of the mouth after stomping a team. I have a ton of confidence in our team but we have got to take this one week at a time. Come on even when we were unstoppable back in 06 I remember our team and fans were always only focused on the next week and not setting here saying here we come national championship. The Elon game doesn't mean crap if we don't win against FU and Chatty.

appmaj
October 26th, 2009, 06:39 AM

xthumbsupx

Exactly what I've been saying. Let's see this team put up 4 more efforts in the next 4 weeks and then I'll be convinced. This has happened before and the team gets better every week. That is what I like to see. Let's keep it going and see what happens.

It was good to see the App fans leaving the game yesterday with smiles instead of just shaking their heads. xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx

I feel ya man.... lets just lay low and quit having diarrhea of the mouth after stomping a team. I have a ton of confidence in our team but we have got to take this one week at a time. Come on even when we were unstoppable back in 06 I remember our team and fans were always only focused on the next week and not setting here saying here we come national championship. The Elon game doesn't mean crap if we don't win against FU and Chatty.

xthumbsupx

I would like to see the defense play well again this week at Furman. Then we can statr talking about our improved playoff chances.

SoCon48
October 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Or if Vitaris hits those fieldgoals against McNeese....

AMEN!!!

jstate83
October 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
How is the kid from G. Southern doing that got hurt.
I hate to see players going off the field like that.

BlackNGold
October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I heard he was allowed to leave the hospital and travel back with his teammates... They were treating it as a Spinal Injury, and Apparently he was unable to move while being carted off the field.

He recovered at the hospital, was able to move his arms and legs, and was diagnosed with a Severe Concussion...

Sounds to me like prayers were answered.

biggie
October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Heard "spinal injury/concussion" but he was released from the hospital that night and went back with the team.

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I certainly see ASU as a playoff team, but I'm not convinced that they have a legitimate shot at the national championship at this point. We certainly got stomped on Saturday, but 1) we're not good and 2) there were a couple of occassions when we had wide open receivers downfield; once the ball was thrown short and the other the receiver let the ball go right through his hands. Having said that, I think that ASU's defense is still a little suspect going into games against a good offense. It's pretty rare for me to get too excited about a game that GSU isn't playing in, but I'm really looking forward to the ASU - Elon game.

jstate83
October 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I heard he was allowed to leave the hospital and travel back with his teammates... They were treating it as a Spinal Injury, and Apparently he was unable to move while being carted off the field.

He recovered at the hospital, was able to move his arms and legs, and was diagnosed with a Severe Concussion...

Sounds to me like prayers were answered.

Heard "spinal injury/concussion" but he was released from the hospital that night and went back with the team.

Great!!xthumbsupx
I felt so bad for that kid when they showed a close up of the trainers trying to get him to squeeze their hand but he couldn't.