PDA

View Full Version : Montana Gets Pearlmanned

93henfan
October 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jeff_pearlman/10/23/hauck-protest

GOKATS
October 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Earlier I had said Hack was acting like a spoiled 5 year old, I think SI is more on track with the behavior of a 3 year old.xnodx

aggiemba
October 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hmmmm.......a couple of weeks ago when I brought this up the Griz fans hurled insults and shouted me down (I even got an AGS yellow card).

Anyway, I hope the Griz show the same disrespect to Pearlmann.

Here's hoping an NCAA investigation ensues....xbeerchugx

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
My opinion. (this subject was already posted here) I will post this there too.

Seriously, If I am Hauck, the athletic department, or University, I contact the most reputable national publication and give them the other side of the story. Personally there is no way a school like Montana or a coach at this level gets this kind of publicity or spotlight without some media source (in this case the Kaimin) going on an unexplained and unnecessary witch hunt.

The Kaimin should have left this after the 1st article, or at the very least not made this be a vendetta against Hauck, our program, and university. This should have been resolved at local university level amongst the parties. Hauck was not wrong in his action(s), but in how he came off with his actions. Since then, the Kaimin, in my opinion, is overstepping the boundaries of professional journalism.

It is way over the line of professionalism in a few ways (1) Any media should be prepared for good and bad public scrutiny when they choose to print a controversial subject or deal with a celebrity of any extent in the given market. (2) What has happened to teaching journalism integrity and respecting your subjects? Would it have not made more sense to not continue pursuing/badgering given subject when they already addressed the subject in question? At the very least give it time before pursuing it more. (3) In journalism you will have difficulty with some issues, subjects, and people, the negativity IS one of the downfalls to the profession. In this case why not teach your students the more formal and proper way to deal with pitfalls? Instead, the Kaimin is teaching/preaching how to get even, or make someone look worse if they are not cooperating with you!!!!!!!!! Do they not realize Hauck or any official within the university has rules the limits what they can say when? Note to Kaimin, there is information within any business that is considered "Confidential". Meaning employees of that company are not to divulge certain information to the public. Hauck may have been wrong in how he responded. Yet, he was 100% RIGHT in protecting this information from the public and honoring school rules, and protecting his players and program.

(4) The student reporter was rightfully let down, disappointed, confused, and probably pissed (I would have been at that age). The kid obviously needed some good advise and support from so called professionals. Sorry, but in this case, his support has proven to be anything but professional!!!!! No school paper should be favorably teaching its students "SMEAR Campaigns" or "Witch hunting"! In my opinion, this attitude is where the Kaimin is 100% in the wrong, and where I side with Hauck, or anyone being the subject of something like this!!!!!! This is where I lost any and all respect for the Kaimin.

(5) They take it further by whining and crying to regional, then later national publications, and once again giving them one sided "biased" information. If I am Hauck, at this point I get the best lawyer possible. I get advise as to what kind of suits I can file against the Kaimin, or the person in charge of it. I begin to see if their actions are verging on Slander or Defamation of character. If the University cannot help me or speak for me, then I get my lawyer to speak for me.

Finally if the Kaimin would have taught their students professional journalism with respect, I would be 50/50 on this issue, just as I was from the get go. Now though, I am 100% behind Hauck, and 100% against the Kaimin. I also refuse to purchase SI unless they recant this, or give the other side an opportunity to tell that side.

On the otherside, If I am the student reporter, I really start to question the faith I have those instructing or mentoring me at the Kaimin, and go pursue other opinions in journalism of how this should have been handled. If I am a parent of a kid considering Journalism at the U of M, I lay my foot down 100% against my kid attending that journalism school. Also I refuse to encourage any potential journalism students to the U of M. In the future if any potential students ask me about University of Montana, I am going to ask, "What do you want to study?" If they say "Journalism", I give them a very bad opinion of that choice.

Does the Kaimin realize they are not only victimizing Hauck, but the whole university and state as well?
As of today, as far as I am concerned, because of the Kaimin's actions to the aftermath, the Kaimin can go to hell. I am going to encourage every business I know to never advertise through them, and every friend I know to refuse their rag, or accept it when near a bonfire and put it in that fire right in front of them. The Kaimin in my opinion is now nothing more than a TRASH publication!

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Seriously, If I am Hauck, the athletic department, or University, I contact the most reputable national publication and give them the other side of the story. Personally there is no way a school like Montana or a coach at this level gets this kind of publicity or spotlight without some media source (in this case the Kaimin) going on an unexplained and unnecessary witch hunt.

The Kaimin should have left this after the 1st article, or at the very least not made this be a vendetta against Hauck, our program, and university. This should have been resolved at local university level amongst the parties. Hauck was not wrong in his action(s), but in how he came off with his actions. Since then, the Kaimin, in my opinion, is overstepping the boundaries of professional journalism.

It is way over the line of professionalism in a few ways (1) Any media should be prepared for good and bad public scrutiny when they choose to print a controversial subject or deal with a celebrity of any extent in the given market. (2) What has happened to teaching journalism integrity and respecting your subjects? Would it have not made more sense to not continue pursuing/badgering given subject when they already addressed the subject in question? At the very least give it time before pursuing it more. (3) In journalism you will have difficulty with some issues, subjects, and people, the negativity IS one of the downfalls to the profession. In this case why not teach your students the more formal and proper way to deal with pitfalls? Instead, the Kaimin is teaching/preaching how to get even, or make someone look worse if they are not cooperating with you!!!!!!!!! Do they not realize Hauck or any official within the university has rules the limits what they can say when? Note to Kaimin, there is information within any business that is considered "Confidential". Meaning employees of that company are not to divulge certain information to the public. Hauck may have been wrong in how he responded. Yet, he was 100% RIGHT in protecting this information from the public and honoring school rules, and protecting his players and program.

(4) The student reporter was rightfully let down, disappointed, confused, and probably pissed (I would have been at that age). The kid obviously needed some good advise and support from so called professionals. Sorry, but in this case, his support has proven to be anything but professional!!!!! No school paper should be favorably teaching its students "SMEAR Campaigns" or "Witch hunting"! In my opinion, this attitude is where the Kaimin is 100% in the wrong, and where I side with Hauck, or anyone being the subject of something like this!!!!!! This is where I lost any and all respect for the Kaimin.

(5) They take it further by whining and crying to regional, then later national publications, and once again giving them one sided "biased" information. If I am Hauck, at this point I get the best lawyer possible. I get advise as to what kind of suits I can file against the Kaimin, or the person in charge of it. I begin to see if their actions are verging on Slander or Defamation of character. If the University cannot help me or speak for me, then I get my lawyer to speak for me.

Finally if the Kaimin would have taught their students professional journalism with respect, I would be 50/50 on this issue, just as I was from the get go. Now though, I am 100% behind Hauck, and 100% against the Kaimin. I also refuse to purchase SI unless they recant this, or give the other side an opportunity to tell that side.

On the otherside, If I am the student reporter, I really start to question the faith I have those instructing or mentoring me at the Kaimin, and go pursue other opinions in journalism of how this should have been handled. If I am a parent of a kid considering Journalism at the U of M, I lay my foot down 100% against my kid attending that journalism school. Also I refuse to encourage any potential journalism students to the U of M. In the future if any potential students ask me about University of Montana, I am going to ask, "What do you want to study?" If they say "Journalism", I give them a very bad opinion of that choice.

Does the Kaimin realize they are not only victimizing Hauck, but the whole university and state as well?
As of today, as far as I am concerned, because of the Kaimin's actions to the aftermath, the Kaimin can go to hell. I am going to encourage every business I know to never advertise through them, and every friend I know to refuse their rag, or accept it when near a bonfire and put it in that fire right in front of them. The Kaimin in my opinion is now nothing more than a TRASH publication!

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Media sticks up for fellow media.

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
This would be a great time for another "Move up thread" or bashing the BCS thread. :) Why is it, all the sudden I welcome these threads again?

gbhmt
October 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
You know originally aggiemba really angered me about how he wouldn't shut up about this, but this talk about an NCAA investigation just makes him hilarious xnodx What exactly is there to investigate?

Proud Griz Man
Hmmmm.......a couple of weeks ago when I brought this up the Griz fans hurled insults and shouted me down (I even got an AGS yellow card).

I don't see anything that warrants an Investigation. I don't see that any NCAA regulations were violated. xnonono2x Basically, I see whiner, chapped-ass bobcat fans and aggie fans that are tired of losing to the Griz. xlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
nothing to see here, just jaded reporters again, move along xnodxxwhistlexxcoffeex

aggiemba
October 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
You know originally aggiemba really angered me about how he wouldn't shut up about this, but this talk about an NCAA investigation just makes him hilarious xnodx What exactly is there to investigate?

Oh I don't know.....can you say COVER-UP? xeyebrowx

An a-hole coach and a bunch of thug players...this couldn't have happened to a nicer buch of guys. xnodx

gbhmt
October 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM

An a-hole coach and a bunch of thug players...this couldn't have happened to a nicer buch of guys. xnodx

He's bound by state and university law to NOT disclose the incident. Do I need to spell it out for you?

Proud Griz Man
October 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM

Come on Aggiemba. That is completely unfair, to generalize about players you do not know at all. I was in Davis, watched Aggies and Griz players shake hands after the game and then say a prayer at mid-field. Bunch of thugs? xnonono2x

What is the basis of your label for Bobby Hauck? Ever met him? xnonox

joecooll6
October 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
MtGrizFan4Life- I feel like that was an overreaction.

gbhmt
October 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
The funniest thing about the "thug players" quote is that the players involved in the incident, if you could even call them thugs in the first place are from...CALIFORNIA!! xlolx xlolxxrulesx

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
MtGrizFan4Life- I feel like that was an overreaction.

Good for you xthumbsupx xwhistlex

Poker Alan
October 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
mtgriz, what is your capacity of work? do you actually have the ability to influence children's choices of where to go to college, in some sort of serious capacity (ie. counselor at school, etc) ?

Sorry, but I am a die-hard, long-time Griz fan, & I disagree with a few of your points here, and think you are overreacting. You state in your rebuttal above that Hauck was wrong in how he came off in his actions... okay, if that is the case, where is your accountability to him in this matter? If Hauck may have been wrong in how he responded, where are any consequences for that? The Kaimin certainly could have handled this different (ESPECIALLY the GAMEDAY @ Homecoming), but you seem to lie 100% of the responsibility at the Kaimin, with zero at Coach Hauck. He could have handled this much more maturely, and I am sure internally, he has received at least a little heat for this.

Feel free to rip away, just some thoughts as I read what you have posted in multiple locations.

I Bleed Purple
October 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
I'd post something, but I'm afraid of the neg reps from UM fans believing anyone even taking a portion of the side that isn't thiers with the comment "Grow Up."

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Fortunately for me, I have no ties professionally influencing where kids go to school or not. If I did, I certainly would not be speaking out about this. I would be biting my tongue. I learned many years ago, when it comes to public schools, there is too much politics involved to pursue a career in public schools.

My influence is strictly that of my relatives and any aspiring college student that asks. BTW, everytime I have always pitched Montana if they planned to pursue any career Montana offers schooling in.

As of now, I will never recommend a journalism student to the U of M. Depending on how rest of this is handled by the Kaimin, will determine if I change my opinion or not. That is possible too!

Green26
October 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Pearlman is another idiot sportswriter who doesn't know FCS is Division I:

"In a move that even Division I college football coaches never pull, Montana's seventh-year sideline maven is ...."

Obama isn't talking to Fox News. Is he bullying Fox News?

The arrogance of the media to believe that everyone is obligated to talk to them. No wonder so many people have such a low opinion of the media.

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
In case I have not made it clear or am being misunderstood. I 100% believe Hauck was wrong in how things came out originally. However, I am 100% against the Kaimin in how the aftermath has been handled since. AT least Hauck has not added more fuel to the fire.

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Pearlman is another idiot sportswriter who doesn't know FCS is Division I:

"In a move that even Division I college football coaches never pull, Montana's seventh-year sideline maven is ...."

Obama isn't talking to Fox News. Is he bullying Fox News?

The arrogance of the media to believe that everyone is obligated to talk to them. No wonder so many people have such a low opinion of the media.

I 100% agree with you on that! xthumbsupx Preaching to the choir on this one.

EmeryZach
October 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
The one thing that makes me mad in this article is that the writer seems to be belittling the FCS when he says he has never heard of Hauck.

There is absolutely no way I am touching anything more than that regarding this story. I work hard not to get bad rep points. I want to stay green and there are way too many of you Griz fans on here and I don't want to get on your bad side.

Cheers!

mtgrizfan4life
October 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I guess it proves people will side with what is most dear to them or important them, and/or look out for their own.

With all the posts, blogs, articles, and attention this has drawn, it looks to me the media is on the side of the media. General GRIZ fans or football fans are more understanding of both sides. Hardcore Griz fans or football fans are the ones more on the side of Hauck.

I have no idea what it will take for both sides to put this behind them, but I have a feeling it may get uglier the longer it takes to resolve.

LacesOut
October 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Seems like a non-story/issue to me.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'd post something, but I'm afraid of the neg reps from UM fans believing anyone even taking a portion of the side that isn't thiers with the comment "Grow Up."

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

The one thing that makes me mad in this article is that the writer seems to be belittling the FCS when he says he has never heard of Hauck.

There is absolutely no way I am touching anything more than that regarding this story. I work hard not to get bad rep points. I want to stay green and there are way too many of you Griz fans on here and I don't want to get on your bad side.

Cheers!

I think there was one time I gave a neg rep point to someone. It takes something pretty egregious to neg rep someone IMHO. This story is old and needs to die, I can't believe it is still out there. xcoffeex

aggiemba
October 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think there was one time I gave a neg rep point to someone. It takes something pretty egregious to neg rep someone IMHO. This story is old and needs to die, I can't believe it is still out there. xcoffeex

Apparently SI nor ESPN think so. ;)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM

Only because they are sticking with their kind: crappy reporters. If anyone thinks the Cryman is a good read, sorry, you need to go back to school. I am starting to find it pretty entertaining anymore really, the cry babies that come out because you won't talk to them? xeekxxbawlingxxlolx

uofmman1122
October 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Even though he didn't handle the situation as well as he should have, this is becoming outrageously unfair to Bobby Hauck.

aggiemba
October 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Even though he didn't handle the situation as well as he should have, this is becoming outrageously unfair to Bobby Hauck.

Says the supossed non-Griz fan.....

HLNgriz
October 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
In case I have not made it clear or am being misunderstood. I 100% believe Hauck was wrong in how things came out originally. However, I am 100% against the Kaimin in how the aftermath has been handled since. AT least Hauck has not added more fuel to the fire.

ditto

cats2506
October 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
bobby could end this at any time, call the student paper editor, apologise and start answering their questions about football, instructe his players to talk to the reporters.

but its all about bobby so he doesnt have the balls to do that.

putter
October 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM

Yea it is such a good story to them that the original incident, which was handled very well by the coaches, happened in MARCH!!

introvertedGSUfan
October 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yea it is such a good story to them that the original incident, which was handled very well by the coaches, happened in MARCH!!

Yeah, because that makes it the story incorrect then...

putter
October 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, because that makes it the story incorrect then...

Think about it. The incident happens in March - is dealt with by the coaches and the players are disciplined and even made to sit out the first game (in August). The kid who was on the receiving end and his father are happy with how this was dealt with and the dad would not even comment to the kaimin about is because it was over and he believed it did not need to be reported. Coach Hauck did not need to act the way he did - I don't agree with that but the advisor for the paper used to write for ESPN and all of a sudden this gets national attention....give me a break. I would be anything the advisor was going to teach Hauck a lesson by making this a national story rather then local....I wonder if this would be happening if it was the cross country coach not talking to the paper

I Bleed Purple
October 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think there was one time I gave a neg rep point to someone. It takes something pretty egregious to neg rep someone IMHO.
I got neg repped for my reply to you in the closed thread with the line "grow up."

xlolxxlolx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I got neg repped for my reply to you in the closed thread with the line "grow up."

xlolxxlolx

Wasn't me, sorry man, I'll give you a point back. xpeacex

IaaScribe
October 24th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Think about it. The incident happens in March - is dealt with by the coaches and the players are disciplined and even made to sit out the first game (in August). The kid who was on the receiving end and his father are happy with how this was dealt with and the dad would not even comment to the kaimin about is because it was over and he believed it did not need to be reported. Coach Hauck did not need to act the way he did - I don't agree with that but the advisor for the paper used to write for ESPN and all of a sudden this gets national attention....give me a break. I would be anything the advisor was going to teach Hauck a lesson by making this a national story rather then local....I wonder if this would be happening if it was the cross country coach not talking to the paper

The cross country coach isn't one of the state's highest paid public employees, like Hauck is.

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Says the supossed non-Griz fan.....Supposed non-Griz fan?!?!?!?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You're a little slow.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Wasn't me, sorry man, I'll give you a point back. xpeacex

Oh, I know it wasn't you. I choose not to reveal who it was.

GOKATS
October 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM

You're lucky, mod?? dinged me with 3 red ones.

FCS Go!
October 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Like Pearlman's article?

Think he might be missing the whole picture?

Tell him so:

http://jeffpearlman.com/?page_id=18

If you're a drunk Griz fan please wait until Sunday afternoon to write him a note!xnodx

Poker Alan
October 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Today's update, from the Missoulian ... including an interesting comment from the AD @ Montana...

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_8dff530e-c05c-11de-89ed-001cc4c002e0.html

Bobby Hauck, Kaimin feud goes viral

Story by CHELSI MOY of the Missoulian | Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

A story about football coach Bobby Hauck's refusal to answer questions from the University of Montana student newspaper ran rampant across the Internet this week, providing fodder for national sportswriters at outlets such as SportsIllustrated.com and ESPN.com.

Despite the national media attention, Hauck remained steadfast in stonewalling the student reporters, as UM administrators attempted to deal with the flood of negative publicity.

"We are taking this seriously, as we do all issues with our student athletes," said UM athletic director Jim O'Day. "If people think we are ignoring it they are wrong. We are handling the situation internally, and we are doing what we feel is right and best under these circumstances, and that won't be met favorably by all."

On Tuesday at his weekly press conference, Hauck continued his refusal to answer football-related questions from student reporters. The Kaimin, the student newspaper, earlier reported a story about an alleged assault by two Grizzly football players, which the football team says was unfair and biased. However, none of the facts in the story have been disputed.

At the news conference, however, Hauck took a nicer tone with Kaimin reporters - he'd belittled them at two previous news conferences - and, for the first time, he provided a reason for his silence.

"My players have asked me not to participate in this," he said. "I had two seniors in my office this morning, and I apologize, but I'm not going to participate."

No reporter at the press conference even asked a question about the local controversy heating up the Internet. Yet, national media didn't hesitate to weigh in on the conversation, calling Hauck "egotistical," "a bully" and - on a leading sports blog, Deadspin.com - a term for female genitalia.

ESPN college football reporter Pat Forde christened Hauck "The Bum" of the first half of the football season in his weekly column "The Dash," published on ESPN.com.

READ MORE...

grizzpaw
October 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
if u follow the whole story, the adviser to the kaiman is behind thisxnonono2x! in his blog he says he does not like football or fb coaches and wants to bring one down! and he has picked montana because we're not too big or to small. its time the u fire this jerk and do their best to ruin this guys chance for another job teaching!

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
It seems to me that the lasting impression that Chris Jones of ESPN will be leaving on the University of Montana's Journalism program will be that if you can't find news, make news.

SactoHornetFan
October 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
if u follow the whole story, the adviser to the kaiman is behind thisxnonono2x! in his blog he says he does not like football or fb coaches and wants to bring one down! and he has picked montana because we're not too big or to small. its time the u fire this jerk and do their best to ruin this guys chance for another job teaching!

Link?

mlbowl
October 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It's like a breath of fresh air...a brand new topicxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx...this could've been thrown into one of the 713 existing Hauck hater threadsxrolleyesx

mlbowl
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Yeah...I can't imagine why you'd get neg repped...it's a mysteryxlolx...To be completely honest, I would never neg rep you...Your Griz envy puts a smile on my facexnodx

El Griz
October 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
1) If anyone should get neg rep points it should be the Kaimin. They tried to stir the pot on a subject that was done and gone and dealt with. When they did not get thrown a bone, they turned to elementary school news tactics.

2) Why are the Cal Poly, Sac State, and UC Davis helmet styles so similar. Bugs me.

GrizFoo
October 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Pearlman just loves himself too much, he can suck a pole.

Now, back to your regular scheduled program, ****ing football, rather than negative media as always digging for dirt.

Go Griz, this negative media toward Hauck is nothing really, nothing but clown in need of some space to fill with some negative trash.

Go Griz, Beat Sac.

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Link?

Add another request for a link.

GOKATS
October 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Add another request for a link.

I'm sure it's legit, all it takes is a random post on egriz to make it true.xnodxxlolx

blukeys
October 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
This is my first post on this topic. It is difficult to get facts from 3,000 miles away. I have seen great coaches such as Tubby Raymond unfairly maligned even by student newspapers from schools with allegedly high academic standards. So, I prefer to let these thing play out, get the facts and then come to a conclusion.

You will note that no Delaware poster other than 93 Hen has said anything and he simply listed the title with link about being Pearlmanned.

This is due to the fact that Delaware was the first FCS target of Pearlman smears 2 and a half years ago when Pearlmann alleged that UD was racist for not having scheduled DSU. Despite the fact that UD posters pointed out that Pearlmann had not sufficiently gathered facts and that he was flying by the seat of his pants by throwing out reckless and damaging smears, there were many Griz fans more than willing to pile on.

WELL GOOD FOR YOU GRIZ FANS!!!!

You are now stewing in the juices of soup of your own making. Pearlmann is the type of reporter who advances by doing his best to destroy people with lazy but sensational 'reporting'. I am sure his smearing of UD got him to the top of the class at SI and now he needs another scalp.

For those Griz fans upset by the sensational nature of Pearlmann's charges I will say.

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!

I have very little energy to sympathize with a group that accepted Pearlmann's smears 2 + years ago and now is whining for being treated unfairly.

It is amazing that this year Pearlmann knows nothing of FCS because he had never heard of Bob Hauck.

Funny, Two years ago he was right on top of the subject. xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Next time maybe instead of deserting and Piling on FCS brethern, Griz fans will stop and think of the nature of the guy throwing the grenades.

Silenoz
October 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Well at least fans of the teams we beat are enjoying all of this

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
This is my first post on this topic. It is difficult to get facts from 3,000 miles away. I have seen great coaches such as Tubby Raymond unfairly maligned even by student newspapers from schools with allegedly high academic standards. So, I prefer to let these thing play out, get the facts and then come to a conclusion.

You will note that no Delaware poster other than 93 Hen has said anything and he simply listed the title with link about being Pearlmanned.

This is due to the fact that Delaware was the first FCS target of Pearlman smears 2 and a half years ago when Pearlmann alleged that UD was racist for not having scheduled DSU. Despite the fact that UD posters pointed out that Pearlmann had not sufficiently gathered facts and that he was flying by the seat of his pants by throwing out reckless and damaging smears, there were many Griz fans more than willing to pile on.

WELL GOOD FOR YOU GRIZ FANS!!!!

You are now stewing in the juices of soup of your own making. Pearlmann is the type of reporter who advances by doing his best to destroy people with lazy but sensational 'reporting'. I am sure his smearing of UD got him to the top of the class at SI and now he needs another scalp.

For those Griz fans upset by the sensational nature of Pearlmann's charges I will say.

WE TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!

I have very little energy to sympathize with a group that accepted Pearlmann's smears 2 + years ago and now is whining for being treated unfairly.

It is amazing that this year Pearlmann knows nothing of FCS because he had never heard of Bob Hauck.

Funny, Two years ago he was right on top of the subject. xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Next time maybe instead of deserting and Piling on FCS brethern, Griz fans will stop and think of the nature of the guy throwing the grenades.

You can't count me as one that piled on, I don't like the media at all. I am pretty much of the opinion that most of them don't know their butt from a hole in the ground and never tell the story right. Until I see differently, I will continue to filter everything I read with a BS filter. xreadxxpeacex

Eight Legger
October 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
This is the first I had heard of this story, and I have a couple thoughts. First of all Pearlmann is a University of Delaware graduate, so I suspect he knows a few things about FCS football. He appears weekly on a local show on the ESPN station in Richmond and is obviously an intelligent guy and an excellent writer whose work has been cited a number of times over the years.

I found nothing wrong with his article from a factual standpoint. Obviously for SI.com, a story has to have some kind of interesting angle, and this one certainly has it -- no matter which side you happen to believe.

As for Hauck, I find it difficult to believe that he has any justifiable reason -- based on what I have read about the situation -- to curse at and ignore student reporters. Give me a break. It makes him look like a small and bitter man. You may not like what the media reports, but if you have NO formal complaints about the article, then shut your mouth and continue to deal with the reporters with a smile on your face. Don't act like a crybaby and think you are above them and can just shut them out. That's an absurd way to handle things. It makes him look like a child and the student reporters look like the adults.

If something was FACTUALLY wrong about the article, then say what it was, take the paper to task and move on. Just because your players did something that you didn't want anyone to find out about doesn't mean you can blast the reporters who uncovered it. You made your bed, now lie in it.

GOKATS
October 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM
This is the first I had heard of this story, and I have a couple thoughts. First of all Pearlmann is a University of Delaware graduate, so I suspect he knows a few things about FCS football. He appears weekly on a local show on the ESPN station in Richmond and is obviously an intelligent guy and an excellent writer whose work has been cited a number of times over the years.

I found nothing wrong with his article from a factual standpoint. Obviously for SI.com, a story has to have some kind of interesting angle, and this one certainly has it -- no matter which side you happen to believe.

As for Hauck, I find it difficult to believe that he has any justifiable reason -- based on what I have read about the situation -- to curse at and ignore student reporters. Give me a break. It makes him look like a small and bitter man. You may not like what the media reports, but if you have NO formal complaints about the article, then shut your mouth and continue to deal with the reporters with a smile on your face. Don't act like a crybaby and think you are above them and can just shut them out. That's an absurd way to handle things. It makes him look like a child and the student reporters look like the adults.

If something was FACTUALLY wrong about the article, then say what it was, take the paper to task and move on. Just because your players did something that you didn't want anyone to find out about doesn't mean you can blast the reporters who uncovered it. You made your bed, now lie in it.

xnodxxthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
October 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM
This is my first post concerning this situation and possibly adding a new voice will gain some perspective to the situation. I will preface the post by saying that I am a student at the University of Montana and a proud supporter of Grizzly Athletics who reads the Kaiman on a regular basis.

In my opinion both parties are in the wrong. Hauck is in the wrong and should apologize, but in his defense anyone that has followed him knows he is a man of principles and is clearly sticking to them. Whether or not he is demanding his team to boycott the paper, I am unsure. I, however, believe it is the players choice as they are defending him as the he has always defended his players.

The Kaiman is in the wrong because they reported a story unfairly on behalf of Andrew Swink and Trumaine Johnson. They do not owe an apology to Hauck, but to their peers, Johnson and Swink. The two players were involved in a altercation that was handled to the liking of all parties involved and those parties did not include the Kaiman. Athletes are certainly held to a higher standard but to throw these two into the same category as former student athletes that were convicted of crimes is bad journalism.

I expect this situation will continue until someone apologizes and then it will likely disappear. Who should apologize first? That isn't for me to decide.

uofmman1122
October 24th, 2009, 11:48 PM
On Tuesday at his weekly press conference, Hauck continued his refusal to answer football-related questions from student reporters. The Kaimin, the student newspaper, earlier reported a story about an alleged assault by two Grizzly football players, which the football team says was unfair and biased. However, none of the facts in the story have been disputed.

At the news conference, however, Hauck took a nicer tone with Kaimin reporters - he'd belittled them at two previous news conferences - and, for the first time, he provided a reason for his silence.

"My players have asked me not to participate in this," he said. "I had two seniors in my office this morning, and I apologize, but I'm not going to participate."huh...

Seems like the student athletes on the Griz football team don't like they way the student journalists portrayed two of their teammates...

So is this still about Hauck? xcoffeex

Tailbone
October 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM

yep. JPs a smart guy. doesn't mean he isn't guilty of lazy journalism. He has simply rehashed the student paper version of the story. that's one side of the story. just because he's a good writer doesn't mean he's right, or doesn't have an agenda. Ask Delaware fans.

yes, the article is factually correct. At least the facts the Kaimin wished to tell. Too bad they chose not to report ALL of the facts. they would have you believe that they were unable to get those facts due to Hauck's reticence. Not true.

As for Hauck, I find it difficult to believe that he has any justifiable reason -- based on what I have read about the situation -- to curse at and ignore student reporters Give me a break. It makes him look like a small and bitter man. You may not like what the media reports, but if you have NO formal complaints about the article, then shut your mouth and continue to deal with the reporters with a smile on your face. Don't act like a crybaby and think you are above them and can just shut them out. That's an absurd way to handle things. It makes him look like a child and the student reporters look like the adults.

Hauck did answer the reporter's questions...until he realized he was being setup for a smear job. that's when he rebuked the reporter and quit answering questions.

Before you pass judgment, check out eGriz and get the whole story.
pay particular note to what transpired, WHEN it transpired, who's involved.
remember that there are privacy rules & family wishes to consider.
make a time-line to analyze the events and see who is making mountains out of molehills. If you still feel the same after that....I'll repect your opinion as an informed opinion....even if I don't agree.

kirkblitz
October 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jeff_pearlman/10/23/hauck-protest

what a loser coach, he needs to get a damn life and stop picking on college kids. No wonder they cant win a championship xlolx

mlbowl
October 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I found nothing wrong with his article from a factual standpoint.

Really...this is the first you've heard of this....yet, YOU know all the factsxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Eight Legger
October 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Really...this is the first you've heard of this....yet, YOU know all the factsxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Actually, I specifically said I DON'T know all the facts. My point was that what Pearlmann wrote was accurate -- he didn't throw anything new into the mix that hadn't already been reported. Look, in this blog thing he does, he's writing an opinion piece. You have your opinion, and he has his. His is based on the facts that are already out there. If you are upset that he reported it to a national audience, fine. But your real problem is with the student newspaper.

I'm very well aware that you can write a factually correct article and still skew the reality of a situation, which is perhaps what the student paper did -- I don't know. If that is the case, then they should correct the situation and Hauck should not be afraid to come out publicly, explain EXACTLY how the student paper screwed up and why he is upset. He should not just bitch and moan like a little baby, refuse to speak to anyone about it and hold a lifetime grudge. What does that accomplish, really?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM
he didn't throw anything new into the mix that hadn't already been reported.

Then why even bother writing about it? He just wanted to stick up for some college reporters he has no clue about so he can look cool. It is just a continuation of a smear, nothing more. xreadx

If that is the case, then they should correct the situation and Hauck should not be afraid to come out publicly, explain EXACTLY how the student paper screwed up and why he is upset. He should not just bitch and moan like a little baby, refuse to speak to anyone about it and hold a lifetime grudge. What does that accomplish, really?

Like the news media would ever come out and tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help them god. That would a first. I think it has been laid out, the paper didn't report the whole story, not much else can be said about it. I dont' blame anyone for not talking to the media, as I recall we have the right to remain silent as well as the freedom of speech and the press.

grizzpaw
October 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
first off HE did he was sorry!but the kaiman wants a "PATTON" type xbowxxbowxapologizexbawlingxxbawlingx. it was and STILL poorly written (in a collage writing class i would give it a D), he got one thing correct THEIR WAS A FIGHT 6-7 MONTHS AGOxcoffeex and their thinking other athletes will talk ? i think they will close ranks ALL 400!xthumbsupx

grizzpaw
October 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM
if i can find out what happen WHY can't the kaiman!

Eight Legger
October 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I just spent 30 minutes on eGriz going through the threads of this topic, reading the Kaimin articles and reading a lot of responses on the Griz boards. I have to say -- no surprise here -- that many of your posters over there give thoughtful and well-reasoned opinions about this whole topic. I agree with many of them. It seems to me, as an outsider, that for whatever reason, a certain number of Griz fans hate the student paper, always have, and will rip anything the paper writes about the football team that appears to be negative in any way.

I'm a journalist, and the coverage in the Kaimin impressed me. It can be tricky to cover a story of an alleged assault when there is no police report. That would raise some questions to me, because you would assume the victims would at least file something. Then again, maybe they feared retribution from players? Who knows. But the reporter quoted several witnesses by name -- not as "sources" only -- and offered Hauck and the football team a chance to respond. Instead of actually responding, Hauck dropped a few F-bombs. Classy!

Now, as for whether the victims were asking for trouble, are thugs themselves, or whatever, I have no idea. We had a star player at UR involved in a similar type altercation a few years ago, in which he was defending himself and others and punched a drunk kid who was acting up. The charges against him were dropped and that was it. Maybe that's all that happened in this case too, and the Montana players were caught in a bad situation. But if that IS what happened, someone needs to stand up and say it! Hauck, the players themselves -- someone.

As several Griz posters said themselves on the Griz boards, you can't expect a reporter to simply kill a story if only one side is willing to talk. They offered everyone a chance to comment, and one side chose not to. Too bad for that side.

We're all fans and we don't like to see our programs painted in a poor light. But in this case, if the story is accurate and fair (which to me it seems to be), you should be mad at your coach and the players involved -- not the reporters who simply wrote about what happened.

And Grizzpaw, no offense, but I'm not surprised you would give the student piece a D....you spelled the name of the paper wrong, you spelled "collage" wrong, and you said "their" was a fight 6-7 months ago. Maybe you should be taking a class from one of them instead of grading their work!

mlbowl
October 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Actually, I specifically said I DON'T know all the facts. My point was that what Pearlmann wrote was accurate -- he didn't throw anything new into the mix that hadn't already been reported. Look, in this blog thing he does, he's writing an opinion piece. You have your opinion, and he has his. His is based on the facts that are already out there. If you are upset that he reported it to a national audience, fine. But your real problem is with the student newspaper.

I'm very well aware that you can write a factually correct article and still skew the reality of a situation, which is perhaps what the student paper did -- I don't know. If that is the case, then they should correct the situation and Hauck should not be afraid to come out publicly, explain EXACTLY how the student paper screwed up and why he is upset. He should not just bitch and moan like a little baby, refuse to speak to anyone about it and hold a lifetime grudge. What does that accomplish, really?

Sorry E L...my panties were a little bunched up this morningxpeacex

Montanan
October 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
...Now, as for whether the victims were asking for trouble, are thugs themselves, or whatever, I have no idea. We had a star player at UR involved in a similar type altercation a few years ago, in which he was defending himself and others and punched a drunk kid who was acting up. The charges against him were dropped and that was it. Maybe that's all that happened in this case too, and the Montana players were caught in a bad situation. But if that IS what happened, someone needs to stand up and say it! Hauck, the players themselves -- someone...

you seem to have missed a very important point, no charges were filed in this off campus incident and the matter was resolved by those involved.

also, you might want to check into the Kaimin visiting mentor's (don't recall his title) previous and existing hostile attitude toward coaches and sports in general. a number of links to some of his articles were provided in posts on eGriz.

Tailbone
October 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I just spent 30 minutes on eGriz going through the threads of this topic, reading the Kaimin articles and reading a lot of responses on the Griz boards. .....

Thanks eight legger, you have at least looked deeper.
That's more than can be said of Pearlman and his ilk.
If more journalists were willing to look beneath the surface this may have remained a local matter.

There is a lesson here for you as well.
In your career as a journalist, it will serve you well to place the truth above the "me too" kinds of crap the public has (rightfully) come to expect from mainstream media.

It (the truth) is the key to credibility, the journalist's currency.

srgrizizen
October 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I just spent 30 minutes on eGriz going through the threads of this topic, reading the Kaimin articles and reading a lot of responses on the Griz boards. I have to say -- no surprise here -- that many of your posters over there give thoughtful and well-reasoned opinions about this whole topic. I agree with many of them. It seems to me, as an outsider, that for whatever reason, a certain number of Griz fans hate the student paper, always have, and will rip anything the paper writes about the football team that appears to be negative in any way.

I'm a journalist, and the coverage in the Kaimin impressed me. It can be tricky to cover a story of an alleged assault when there is no police report. That would raise some questions to me, because you would assume the victims would at least file something. Then again, maybe they feared retribution from players? Who knows. But the reporter quoted several witnesses by name -- not as "sources" only -- and offered Hauck and the football team a chance to respond. Instead of actually responding, Hauck dropped a few F-bombs. Classy!

Now, as for whether the victims were asking for trouble, are thugs themselves, or whatever, I have no idea. We had a star player at UR involved in a similar type altercation a few years ago, in which he was defending himself and others and punched a drunk kid who was acting up. The charges against him were dropped and that was it. Maybe that's all that happened in this case too, and the Montana players were caught in a bad situation. But if that IS what happened, someone needs to stand up and say it! Hauck, the players themselves -- someone.

As several Griz posters said themselves on the Griz boards, you can't expect a reporter to simply kill a story if only one side is willing to talk. They offered everyone a chance to comment, and one side chose not to. Too bad for that side.

We're all fans and we don't like to see our programs painted in a poor light. But in this case, if the story is accurate and fair (which to me it seems to be), you should be mad at your coach and the players involved -- not the reporters who simply wrote about what happened.

And Grizzpaw, no offense, but I'm not surprised you would give the student piece a D....you spelled the name of the paper wrong, you spelled "collage" wrong, and you said "their" was a fight 6-7 months ago. Maybe you should be taking a class from one of them instead of grading their work!

Perhaps it takes an objective outsider to provide a saner look at all this. As a Griz fan, I am embarrassed by some of the ridiculous "my team, right or wrong" defenses of the coach's childish behavior that allowed a non-issue to blossom into such a national affair, albeit one of almost no importance in the larger scheme of things. It seems clear to me that there was nothing wrong with the way Hauck handled the original incident. Cries of "cover up"are patently ridiculous. The only thing Hauck did wrong was lose his cool when he thought a reporter was writing a negative story about his program. All he had to do is remain the adult in the situation and there would have been no story. It is a minor story that would have died immediately had Hauck simply explained his position that all the facts were already known and that privacy concerns prevented him from elaborating further. Of course the coach has a right to handle the situation as he has, but then he bears full responsibility for all the subsequent bad publicity, which is ironically what he was out to avoid in the first place.

As an aside, the most disturbing aspect of this thread is the vitriol directed at the media in general and the Kaimin in particular. It appears some would cheerfully repeal the first amendment in order to preserve their utopian vision of a world where nothing ever contradicts their comfortable biases. No one has pointed out a single factual error in the Kaimin's coverage, so apparently the Kaimin's sin is lack of proper deference toward the sacred cow UM football program. Perhaps this wasn't the student-jpurnalist's best moment, but the UM Journalism program is nationally ranked, has a proud tradition of producing excellent graduates, and should care less about the opinions of those who can't even spell their name correctly. xcoffeex

Green26
October 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Some comments for Eight Legger, who says he's a journalist:

1. Where did you get the "victims", i.e. plural, thing? There was only one.

2. Do you really think this story merited two articles and one editorial the day the Kaimin first published the story? Wasn't that a bit of of overkill, and didn't it show that the Kaimin was trying to make a story and get the coach?

This was a fight that had occurred in March, over six months earlier. No police report. No charges. Victim's father had told the Kaimin that the family was fine with the result/punishment. Victim's father had asked the Kaimin not to print the story. The players had clearly been disciplined, as they had not suited up for the first game.

3. Do you think this story merited two more articles/editorials in the next five days after the first series of three articles/editorials? Do you think it merited an sixth article/editorial a week or so later?

4. As you suspected, there's more to this fight than what was reported. Only the middle part was reported--presumably because that was the only part that reflected negatively on the players.

5. Do you think the Kaimin was wise to run a story on the opposing team (Cal Poly) for the Homecoming issue, on the front page--and not cover the Griz.

6. No, the story did not quote multiple witnesses by name. It quoted one witness. The fight had been six months earlier, the fight had occurred outside at night (after midnight), and presumably the witness was drunk like most of the other people there.

7. No, Hauck has not dropped multiple F-bombs. Only one, assuming the Kaimin reported that accurately.

8. The Kaimin inaccurately reported that the coach called the dad. Not true. The dad called the coach, and tha's how the coach learned of the fight. This inaccurate reporting contributed to people saying cover up, and to people criticizing the dad for not sticking up more for his kid. The coach then had one of the players call the victim to apologize, and they have spoken several times since. The coach then instituted other discipline starting in spring ball, through the summer and into pre-season practice, and then a one-game suspension.

9. The coach has a long-standing policy of not talking publicly about internal team matters, including injuries. There are also privacy laws and university policies that prohibit disclosure of certain things (without the consent of the player/student). The coach has been quite consistent with this policy over the years.

10. I truly don't know how you could say that six articles/editorials, filled with inaccuracies, constitutes "fair and accurate" reporting, and say you were "impressed" by this.

11. Perhaps you would be better off focusing on your own reading skills (see the inaccuracies I pointed out above), insteading of criticizing Grizzpaw's spelling.

Mod66
October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Closed until something new comes out. Don't just assume the egriz or the media side is correct. Griz fans want to shelter their team and the media wants to sell papers.