PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Championship Game Media Coverage

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2005, 06:48 AM
What did all of you non-UNI and Appalachian St folks have in your local newspapers about the game? Just curious...

Here in Houston, in the Houston Chronicle, it was on page 3 of the sports section taking up about 1/3rd of the page with a regular-sized box score (w/o the tackles) and a nice picture of Jason Hunter in route to his winning TD for App St. The article was courtesy of the Associated Press...

This is more than the I-AA title game has gotten in the past in the Chronicle according to my memory...

Hansel
December 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
There was a huge pic and article which took up about 2/3 of the Front Page (of the whole paper) of the Des Moines Register.

They also had UNI stuff covering taking up about the entire first 3 pages of the sports section. Very nice.

Interesting quote by UNI's AD which was something to the effect of

"Winning a I-AA national championship we be about on par with the at-large selection to the NCAA tournament" which UNI got last year... don't know about that

Cocky
December 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
1/4 page on page 5 of Sports Section. Did have a nice article in the Friday page.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
The paper that covers the Chattanooga Mocs sent some guys to cover the game :smiley_wi

...they had 18 full pages over the last 6 days.

When congratulating people on the successful event (fans, management, officials, etc, etc)...the Chattanooga media should also be thanked...they really, really stepped up the coverage this year...Times-Free Press always does a great job...but the 3 network stations did a lot more than in previous years (many nights this week it was the lead story...not just the sports lead...maybe the chance of a sellout made it more of a "news story"...either way, I as impressed by the increased attention and I think it had a direct effect on the local attendance).

It is cool too that everyone did not immediately leave town...I just had some UNI fans in my store shopping for Christmas.

OL FU
December 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
The paper that covers the Chattanooga Mocs sent some guys to cover the game :smiley_wi

...they had 18 full pages over the last 6 days.

When congratulating people on the successful event (fans, management, officials, etc, etc)...the Chattanooga media should also be thanked...they really, really stepped up the coverage this year...Times-Free Press always does a great job...but the 3 network stations did a lot more than in previous years (many nights this week it was the lead story...not just the sports lead...maybe the chance of a sellout made it more of a "news story"...either way, I as impressed by the increased attention and I think it had a direct effect on the local attendance).

It is cool too that everyone did not immediately leave town...I just had some UNI fans in my store shopping for Christmas.

PS, the field looked great :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hartford Courant -- virtually nothing! A couple of paragraphs within an article with a couple of I-A stories (ex. new coach at Colorado). Of course if it isn't the Husky Dog or the pros, nothing gets much coverage in the Courant!! Around here they prefer to treat I-AA like it was D-II. They've conveniently forgotten their roots and/or prefer to treat it as totally inferior to justify their upgrade. You wouldn't believe all the garbage sportcasters spewed when they played Murray State. They actually tried to make the public believe that Murray State was a typical I-AA program! :mad: :mad: :mad:

AppAlum96
December 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM
The usual online sports news sources (Yahoo, CBS Sportsline, ESPN.com) all had a print of the AP article buried. While Colorado's new coach was the front page.