PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry: ASU/GSU

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.gsueaglenation.com/pages/full_story/push?article-The+rivalry%20&id=4081443-The+rivalry&instance=articles_player

Good article. I believe the goal posts through the bus was in 2003 vs. 2005 though.

I loved this:

The first time Georgia Southern played ASU in the modern era, it was defending its back-to-back national titles in the quarterfinals of the 1987 playoffs. Erk Russell brought his Eagles to Boone, N.C. on an icy, snowy bitter December day, and was shut out 19-0. It was the first time Erk’s Eagles had ever failed to score.

To add insult to injury, Appalachian fans spelled out, “Can you score?” in the snow behind the end zone.

They couldn’t."

If you look at any rivalry for the period 1985-current you won't find one as good as this one in the FCS nation.

Mikeyosef
October 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Great post and a good article. I think it captures the feel of the rivalry perfectly. This is the home game I have been looking forward to most. I hope we have decent weather and a huge turnout. Chances are it will be a nail bitter regardless. GO APPS!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Not to bring up NCs again (I know people don't like GSU fans to do that :D), but just think - the two teams come into this game having won 5 of the last 10 NCs and have a total of 9 between them. xrulesx

ashram
October 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
If you look at any rivalry for the period 1985-current you won't find one as good as this one in the FCS nation.

I don't know. I'd say the FU-GSU one since '85 is up there too, seeing as their first two games were for the National title.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Very excited to catch this one on SportsSouth

T-Dog
October 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
The 1987 Ice Bowl was the game Erk came out in shorts for the first half, then came out for the second half wearing about ten layers.

appmaj
October 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.gsueaglenation.com/pages/full_story/push?article-The+rivalry%20&id=4081443-The+rivalry&instance=articles_player

Good article. I believe the goal posts through the bus was in 2003 vs. 2005 though.

It was 2003

http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/archives_03_04/10-21-03/sports.html

straightshooter
October 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
The 1987 Ice Bowl was the game Erk came out in shorts for the first half, then came out for the second half wearing about ten layers.

The field that day did more to stop GSU than App St did. Trying to run that option on ice with a true freshman QB was brutal. Erk was not happy about the condition of that field for a playoff game.

appmaj
October 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
The field that day did more to stop GSU than App St did. Trying to run that option on ice with a true freshman QB was brutal. Erk was not happy about the condition of that field for a playoff game.

Did someone remind him Appalachian was playing on the same field he was? xeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Did someone remind him Appalachian was playing on the same field he was? xeyebrowx

But we had an option team while you guys didn't.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM

xnonono2x Lamest excuse for a loss ever.

mcveyrl
October 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM

Or tell him to have a better year, get a higher seed and he can make the field in whatever condition he wants.

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Or tell him to have a better year, get a higher seed and he can make the field in whatever condition he wants.

Sign of the apocolypse #132: I agree with a JMU fan...:Dxthumbsupx

straightshooter
October 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM

Well, first season without Tracy Ham at the helm and a bunch of graduating senior starters gone, GSU was just happy to be in the playoffs. They made it back to the finals the next three years and won two of the three.

KiddBrewer
October 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM

wow, i gotta agree with my fellow appalachian brethren.....that is an awesome response...and from a JMU fan at that!xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
October 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM

mcveyrl = good guy

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
mcveyrl = good guy

Yep, I know. Just being funny.

proasu89
October 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM

But that was Erk's optionxsmiley_wix

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't know. I'd say the FU-GSU one since '85 is up there too, seeing as their first two games were for the National title.

It is a solid rivalry no doubt I just think the ASU/GSU is a step above due to the story lines. There epic battles in 1994 (Bake Baker the touchdown maker comes in and throw 4 TD passes for the comeback), 1999 , 2000, 2003, and then the last three. That 1999 game is one of my top 5 games of all time (bet you and guess the other 4 pretty easily).

I'm getting pumped remembering all these games:D.

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
In 1987 the field was the old astroturf, I bet that was like playing on concrete (with ice on it).

CrackerRiley
October 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm new to the rivalry, but it only took one game ('07) for me to hate GSU. xmadxxthumbsupx

proasu89
October 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
In 1987 the field was the old astroturf, I bet that was like playing on concrete (with ice on it).

I played quite a few Sunday afternoon pickup games on that ol concrete slab.

straightshooter
October 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
But that was Erk's optionxsmiley_wix

No, it was Paul Johnson's option, and PJ left after the '86 championship season to become the OC at Hawaii. So no Tracy Ham, no PJ option, true freshman QB running that offense on ice made it tough. Erk said we just got beat and he needed to do a better job coaching. No excuses, but he still didn't like the field conditions.

mrklean
October 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
This is the TOP rivalry in the SO CON!!!!

appstate38
October 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM

You have to contend with the variables that exist! Weather is one of them! I hear the water they brought from eagle creek froze on the field.... It was a sign of things to come!

DX Man
October 21st, 2009, 11:26 PM

Erk probably added another icy spot when he poured that gallon of water from "Beautiful Eagle Creek" on the field before the game started. LOL

That was the blackest water I have ever seen.xsmhx

OL FU
October 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
It is a solid rivalry no doubt I just think the ASU/GSU is a step above due to the story lines. There epic battles in 1994 (Bake Baker the touchdown maker comes in and throw 4 TD passes for the comeback), 1999 , 2000, 2003, and then the last three. That 1999 game is one of my top 5 games of all time (bet you and guess the other 4 pretty easily).

It is interesting. A few of years ago the GSU board debated this and most GSU people said Furman was their biggest rival. I am going to guess if you put the same question to the GSU board now they would say, after three NCs, ASU. That type of success changes a lot of thingsxnodx

CamelCityAppFan
October 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Hillbillies vs. Furples, Furples vs. Iggles, Iggles vs. Hillbillies-- It's all good! xthumbsupx

OL FU
October 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hillbillies vs. Furples, Furples vs. Iggles, Iggles vs. Hillbillies-- It's all good! xthumbsupx

No doubt. From a historic closeness of the individual games you can't beat ASU and FU. Probably the tightest games of the three. Close series certainly ASU and GSU swapping wins. Impactful start of a rivalry, GSU and FU.

Take your pick.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM

wow, i gotta agree with my fellow appalachian brethren.....that is an awesome response...and from a JMU fan at that!xthumbsupx

In my defense, I only live about an hour from Boone, so it's sort of a regional thing too...

But it does show some increased intelligence on your part. :Dxsmiley_wix

mcveyrl = good guy

Thanks man! xthumbsupx

ashram
October 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM

You mean like in 2005 when Furman was 9-2, ASU was 8-3, Furman beat App. in the regular season, and still had to go to Boone for the Semifinals? xwhistlex

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
You mean like in 2005 when Furman was 9-2, ASU was 8-3, Furman beat App. in the regular season, and still had to go to Boone for the Semifinals? xwhistlex

Different scenario I think. I'm pretty sure they still seeded everybody in '87. 2005 they only seed 4 teams. So the only way to guarantee a home game is to get a seed. You don't need to tell me about the failings of the system (we had to get a seed to get a home game), I just don't think you can compare the two.

ashram
October 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Different scenario I think. I'm pretty sure they still seeded everybody in '87. 2005 they only seed 4 teams. So the only way to guarantee a home game is to get a seed. You don't need to tell me about the failings of the system (we had to get a seed to get a home game), I just don't think you can compare the two.

Yeah, I know. I just saw a chance to complain again about 2005 and took it. :)

I'm really looking forward to watching the GSU-ASU game Saturday as well. Can't make it to Charleston, so I'll have FU-Cit to watch at 2pm and GSU-ASU at 3pm. Awesome.

CamelCityAppFan
October 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
so I'll have FU-Cit to watch at 2pm and GSU-ASU at 3pm. Awesome.

You're gonna need 2 TVs...

Eagle22
October 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

Bake Baker's comeback was in 1996, our first losing season (finished 4-7)

While it is not in my personal top 5 of all games, that 1999 regular season matchup remains in my top 5 of regular season games, despite the loss. That was an epic football game.

To this day, I wonder how that game turns out if we don't block that punt out through the endzone for a safety.

Eagle22
October 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM

Which is precisely what he did in 1988 and 1989 .... :D

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Which is precisely what he did in 1988 and 1989 .... :D

See. He's not as dumb as he looks (or acted in 1987). :D

I keed, I keed.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
You're gonna need 2 TVs...

The trick for me is convincing my wife that I need to watch these games. She doesn't understand that even if it's not JMU I enjoy ASU/GSU more than AL-Tenn.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
My favorite games...
1. 2007 - GSU finally wins a GSU/ASU game that they aren't supposed to. Kinda made me feel vindicated after blowing it in 1999

2. 2000 - Showdown between the best and third best team in the country. GSU wins in a thriller in Statesboro

3. 2008 - Even though we lost it was an amazing game

4. 1994 - because we sucked and still beat one of the best teams in the nation)

5. 2006 - probably one of the single best efforts by a GSU defense I have ever seen.

Eagle22
October 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
See. He's not as dumb as he looks (or acted in 1987). :D

I keed, I keed.

Yeah, forgot to add we beat JMU in 1988 and 1989 to help our chances at hosting :D

Erk was a great motivator. I'm sure he strolled out there in shorts to try to take the guys minds off the weather, or at least try to :p

appmaj
October 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM

Same here....

ChiefGSU275
October 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
One of my favorites in the Rivalry was in 2004. My mom passed away that week, and her memorial service was to be held during the game. Afterwards there was a brief reception at the funeral home, and all my buddies from college that made the trip would come up to me to offer condolences, and each one would give me a score update (LOL). But the funny thing was each time one came up, the lead got bigger and bigger. Final score was 54-7 I believe.

ChiefGSU275
October 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM

He did, it was 1989. Some people call it the Perfect Season. You should read about it sometime. xcoffeex

appmaj
October 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

xnonox

App won the SoCon out right in 2005

2005 Southern Conference
Conference Standing

Appalachian State 12-3 (6-1)
Furman 11-3 (5-2)

(At the time yes Furman was 9-2 & ASU was 8-3 but App won the SoCon Auto bid and was seeded)

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2005/CONFSKED.HTM

blueballs
October 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
One of my favorites in the Rivalry was in 2004. My mom passed away that week, and her memorial service was to be held during the game. Afterwards there was a brief reception at the funeral home, and all my buddies from college that made the trip would come up to me to offer condolences, and each one would give me a score update (LOL). But the funny thing was each time one came up, the lead got bigger and bigger. Final score was 54-7 I believe.

That game was fun until about the time GSU went up four TD's... I remember saying to Mrs. Blueballs sometime during the second half that this kind of beating was no fun and it was a shame that the rivalry had turned into that. I also mentioned the fact that it appeared that the two programs were headed in opposite directions. Little did I realize the irony in that statement as 14 months later Sam Baker performed his magic on the GSU football program- right about the same time App was hoisting the first of their three trophies.

The two best ASU/GSU games at Paulson had to be the 1994 night game and the 2000 homecoming game, although the 2006 and 2008 games were great as well.

MasonJar
October 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

I think it is a 3-way... How soon we forget the great games between FU and ASU. Very exciting over the past decade. Also, I have to admit... Furman is the one team that has consistently had ASU's number. Furman is the only team ASU has faced on a regular basis that has a winning record against the Mountaineers 21-15-3.

Not looking over GaSouthern at all... just throwing a bone to Furman in respect of another great rivalry.xpeacex

ChiefGSU275
October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
That game was fun until about the time GSU went up four TD's... I remember saying to Mrs. Blueballs sometime during the second half that this kind of beating was no fun and it was a shame that the rivalry had turned into that. I also mentioned the fact that it appeared that the two programs were headed in opposite directions. Little did I realize the irony in that statement as 14 months later Sam Baker performed his magic on the GSU football program- right about the same time App was hoisting the first of their three trophies.

The two best ASU/GSU games at Paulson had to be the 1994 night game and the 2000 homecoming game, although the 2006 and 2008 games were great as well.

The 2000 game was a classic. I still remember exactly what it was like when we got the game sealing interception! I also remember the terrible traffic as we tried to leave the stadium. I think the fair was in town that weekend, and it was before the 301 bypass had been expanded.