PDA

View Full Version : Medical Red Shirt Question

bodoyle
October 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I understand that a player is eligible if he plays in less than a certain percentage of his teams games. The part I am wondering about is what the percentage is based on. Is it regular season games, or is it the entire season? i.e. say a team makes a run to the title game and with the extra games the team played in the playoffs the injured player would be eligible for a medical redshirt, but w/o the playoff games, he would not be.

What happens? Thanks.

MR. CHICKEN
October 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I understand that a player is eligible if he plays in less than a certain percentage of his teams games. The part I am wondering about is what the percentage is based on. Is it regular season games, or is it the entire season? i.e. say a team makes a run to the title game and with the extra games the team played in the playoffs the injured player would be eligible for a medical redshirt, but w/o the playoff games, he would not be.

What happens? Thanks.

AH BELIEVE IT'S...BASED ON DUH NUMBERAH O' QUARTERS....SAID INJURED...HAS PLAYED...(AT LEAST ONE PLAY PER QUARTER).....HOWEVERAH....AH DON'T KNOW HOW MANY Q'S....IT IS...B/4......PLAYER LOSES DUH MEDICAL RED-SHIRT.......ANYONE...OUT DERE....CONFIRM...O' CHALLENGE.....xconfusedx....AWK!

tribe_pride
October 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
According to this article on the NCAA site, it's this

In Division I, a student-athlete can apply for a hardship waiver if a season-ending injury or illness occurs in the first half of the season. The student-athlete, however, must not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent (whichever is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2005/association-wide/education+should+alleviate+hardship+in+requesting+ waivers+-+6-6-04+ncaa+news

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM

What happens? Thanks.

Admittedly, I haven't refreshed myself on the medical hardship rule in a while, but basically it's this - as I recall:

You cannot participate in more than 20% of the number of contests played and cannot participate in any single game past the midpoint of the season. Essentially, if a team advances all the way to the championship game and plays 15 games, you could play in any of three games through the seventh game of the year. For an 11 game season, it's participation in two games, none past the fifth game.

bodoyle
October 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know if it is 20% of regular season games, or playoffs included as well?

Green26
October 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Regular season games. I looked at this several years ago, and found the info saying it was regular season. That's the interpretation of "scheduled games".

FUwolfpacker
October 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Another thing to keep in mind...

Just b/c a player meets that criteria, it doesn't mean they necessarily have a shot at getting that 6th year.

Players who miss most of 2 seasons (in a row preferably it seems) usually have the best shot at getting it (at least from the all the examples I've noticed...no inside info). Not always the case though. I know of a person who missed what was essentially 2 straight years (maybe played 2 quarters) and was not granted the 6th year. Then again...former NC State center Keegan Weir broke his leg in the first game 2 years in a row and did get the 6th year.

The NCAA is funny about those things...

bison137
October 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yes, the formula continues to be based on regular season games only. In a sport where all teams in a conference are guaranteed at least one playoff game, then one post-season game can be included in the denominator.

DFW HOYA
October 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM
Just b/c a player meets that criteria, it doesn't mean they necessarily have a shot at getting that 6th year.

Sixth? How about a fifth year? xlolx

tribe_pride
October 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Players can get a 6th as a medical redshirt at times if they already used their redshirt year. I think it's rare, but it happens.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
I heard that Matt Grothe (USF) will not qualify for a medical shirt after playing in 3 games and getting injured for the season.

Played 3 games out of 12 = 25% of schedule.

tribe_pride
October 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
I heard that Matt Grothe (USF) will not qualify for a medical shirt after playing in 3 games and getting injured for the season.

I think I read somewhere that they round up so it's 20% of 12 is 2.4 so they round up to 3 games allowed.

How'd they get 12 games this year? I thought limit was 11 unless you travelled to Hawaii

McNeese72
October 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
I think I read somewhere that they round up so it's 20% of 12 is 2.4 so they round up to 3 games allowed.

How'd they get 12 games this year? I thought limit was 11 unless you travelled to Hawaii

FBS

Doc

FUwolfpacker
October 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
Sixth? How about a fifth year? xlolx

All players have 5 years to play 4...so why would it be something special to award a 5th year? I can't think of one situation where a medical redshirt wasn't a 6th year of eligibility.

Players can get a 6th as a medical redshirt at times if they already used their redshirt year. I think it's rare, but it happens.

tribe_pride pretty much covered it...

If a player gets hurt and they have NOT used their RS...then they use that and there is practically ZERO precent chance they would be awarded another year since they had the RS to use.

Also, if a player gets hurt one year(before the 20% requirement) and uses his RS, and then gets hurt again the next year (before the 20% requirement)...I've even seen situations where that player doesn't get that 6th year. Most...not all...of the med. RS's I've seen go to guy who miss 2 straight years in which they did not have a RS to use. Just what I've observed...that's not a hard of fast rule to my knowledge.

Outside of the percentage of games played...there barely seems to be any logical thought process to who gets the med. RS and who doesn't.

kdinva
October 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM

That is correct...........also, I believe that the 20% rule also applies to quarters played in during the first five games/one half of the season. VMI last season had a DB who played some in the first 4 games, but actually appeared in only 8 quarters (out of a possible 16) during those 4 games, and the NCAA did grant him an extra yearxrulesx. 20% of 44 quarters (for 1-AA) is 8.8 (actually nine).

kdinva
October 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM

he should be granted a redshirt year.......

OLPOP
October 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know how many credits a graduate student must take to be eligible during his fifth year?

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
While rare they do happen. Albany has 2 guys this year playing in their 6th year after getting medical redshirts. Leading WR and outside LB. Both had knee injuries.

The interesting thing about the LB's waiver was that he was out for the entire 08 football season but was healthy in time for the spring lacrosse season. I thought that would have killed his chances, but he was granted the waiver anyway.

Husky Alum
October 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know how many credits a graduate student must take to be eligible during his fifth year?

They have to take sufficient classes to be considered a "full time student", but since football is a single semester sport, theoretically (and I repeat, theoretically)a fifth year (or even a fourth year) student doesn't have to go to a single class to be eligible under NCAA standards. We've had 5th year players at NU with 3 classes (we were a quarter school back then so I don't know how many semester credits it was).

Each school may have their own standards for participation that exceed the NCAA's.

OLPOP
October 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you, Husky.