PDA

View Full Version : The real home of the Division I National Championship game...

chattanoogamocs
October 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
is not going down without a fight.

Finley Stadium Executive Director Merrill Eckstein said Chattanooga has submitted "a very good financial guarantee" to try to keep the NCAA FCS championship game here.

He said the guarantee is "double the previous amount."

Also from the article...

He said San Antonio is another possible contender.

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_161304.asp

(and no, I can not remember all the specifics from the last bid, but I will see if I can't find out)

mtgrizfan4life
October 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I am confident the winning bid will have to be over 500k.

TheValleyRaider
October 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Good for Chatty xnodx

As much as I like some of the other options (well, really just Frisco ;)), Chattanooga was a good experience, and should be near the top of the mix again xnodx

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Does twice the ante mean that Chatty is at half of what the SLC has offered up?

I just the SLC/Frisco, Texas package may be too much to overcome for Chatty, based on some of the things that I have heard...check the thread on Frisco for more on that.

MR. CHICKEN
October 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
AH'M WONDERIN'......WOOD IT BE FAIR.....FO' MISERYOULA....TA HOST...EVEN IF DUH....FLUFFY GRIZZWOLD'S...WERE NOT TA MAKE DUH GAME...xconfusedx...LET US EXAMINE.......SAY CAL-PIE/MCNEESE STATE....REPRESENTS....ONE ENTRY......UH EAST COAST/SOUTHERN SQWAD.....DUH OTHERAH.....NOW MONTANA IS UH HIKE .....SO NOT ALOTTAH FANS...FROM EITHER SCHOOL SHOW........DUH MISERYOULANS ARE BORED IN JANUARY.....SO DEY FIRE UP DUH SNOW-MOBILES......SWAMP DUH WASH/GRIZ SHRINE........SEEK REVENGE ON EAST COAST BIAS....xeekx......OKAY....NOW CHATTY:......DUH LOCALS IN 'NOOGAH.....ONLY CARE 'BOUT DUH CHOO-CHOO...&...DUH FISH TANK.....SO NO BIAS....IFIN' COLGATE...WERE TA PLAY....RHODE ISLAND......THOUGHTS?.......xarguexxpopcornx...... BRAWK!!

blukeys
October 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Best of Luck to Chatty. I am concerned about January weather However. In my part of the world real winter arrives in January. December can be very mild and not a problem weather wise. I really don't want to see the FCS championship decided in the snow. (No offense Colgate!xsmiley_wix)

GSUhooligan
October 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
I don't want to have to go all the way to TX in 2010 and 2011 to watch Georgia Southern woop up on someone. Chatty is alot easier.

Go...gate
October 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Best of Luck to Chatty. I am concerned about January weather However. In my part of the world real winter arrives in January. December can be very mild and not a problem weather wise. I really don't want to see the FCS championship decided in the snow. (No offense Colgate!xsmiley_wix)

Aw, c'mon!!! You mean you don't want the Championship Game in Hamilton, NY in January, with San Diego playing Cal Poly? REAL FOOTBALL WEATHER!!! It will be fun!!!! xrotatehx

TTUEagles
October 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'm personally pulling for Chattanooga...I like the city, think they have really improved it over the past 10-15 years. Selfishly, I could actually attend the game now that it's on a better date for me - a quick 2-3 hour drive, regardless of who's playing.

DSUrocks07
October 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
AH'M WONDERIN'......WOOD IT BE FAIR.....FO' MISERYOULA....TA HOST...EVEN IF DUH....FLUFFY GRIZZWOLD'S...WERE NOT TA MAKE DUH GAME...xconfusedx...LET US EXAMINE.......SAY CAL-PIE/MCNEESE STATE....REPRESENTS....ONE ENTRY......UH EAST COAST/SOUTHERN SQWAD.....DUH OTHERAH.....NOW MONTANA IS UH HIKE .....SO NOT ALOTTAH FANS...FROM EITHER SCHOOL SHOW........DUH MISERYOULANS ARE BORED IN JANUARY.....SO DEY FIRE UP DUH SNOW-MOBILES......SWAMP DUH WASH/GRIZ SHRINE........SEEK REVENGE ON EAST COAST BIAS....xeekx......OKAY....NOW CHATTY:......DUH LOCALS IN 'NOOGAH.....ONLY CARE 'BOUT DUH CHOO-CHOO...&...DUH FISH TANK.....SO NO BIAS....IFIN' COLGATE...WERE TA PLAY....RHODE ISLAND......THOUGHTS?.......xarguexxpopcornx...... BRAWK!!

Blasphamy xnonox

Pard4Life
October 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
I don't understand why it has to be in one location every year, and Chattanoga, despite the satisfaction everyone has shown here, is not exactly high profile, or even easy to get to. Orlando would make most sense, as would San Antonio, San Diego, Arizona... but I guess a good advantage of having it one place is to build a following and have the game be the sole focus of the area.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Chattanoga, despite the satisfaction everyone has shown here
xconfusedx Pard, wouldn't you like to go on the advice of people who have been there?

Seven Would Be Nice
October 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Keep it at Chatty.. that way no team will ever have home field advantage in the title game.

:D

ur2k
October 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM
One of the good things about Chatty is that everything is located in a downtown area that is pretty concentrated and the hotels are relatively close to the stadium. Do the places in Texas and wherever else offer the same type of set-up or will you have to drive long distances in a more suburban environment?

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 08:33 AM
One of the good things about Chatty is that everything is located in a downtown area that is pretty concentrated and the hotels are relatively close to the stadium. Do the places in Texas and wherever else offer the same type of set-up or will you have to drive long distances in a more suburban environment?

Great point.

From what I'm hearing Frisco is all pretty centralized around Pizza Hut Park. Hotels, restaurants, etc. One of the locals could probably confirm that rather easily though.

I don't know about any other bids.

I think it will come down to Chatty (proven commodity) and Frisco (a huge $$$ and sponsor bid).

Unfortunately, as we all know, the NCAA is all about the $$$$$$$$$.

appst97
October 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
When is the announcement?

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
From what I'm hearing Frisco is all pretty centralized around Pizza Hut Park. Hotels, restaurants, etc. One of the locals could probably confirm that rather easily though.
I will look forward to this report because just looking at the overhead, the park seems to be on the edge of "town" (Frisco looks like a small bedroom town) with farms on the other side.

BTW, I'm sure somebody has mentioned the attendance for the NCAA Men's National Soccer Cup which featured Maryland v North Carolina.... 6,594 xconfusedx xsmhx

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
When is the announcement?

Not until March.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I will look forward to this report because just looking at the overhead, the park seems to be on the edge of "town" (Frisco looks like a small bedroom town) with farms on the other side.

BTW, I'm sure somebody has mentioned the attendance for the NCAA Men's National Soccer Cup which featured Maryland v North Carolina.... 6,594 xconfusedx xsmhx

I think the satelite images are a few years old. From what I've heard the area has exploded recently.

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM
I like Chatty. They've gone all in towards committing to the game-- the University, the town, the local businesses, the community. They've been great hosts and the facility is the perfect size. They have the logos of each school that's won the championship there on the press box as permanent fixtures. I think that kind of dedication should be rewarded. I don't think the loacation of the game is "broken", so there is no need to fix it.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
I think the satelite images are a few years old. From what I've heard the area has exploded recently.
I hope so. But that attendance at the soccer finals was pretty abysmal. Surely somebody brought that up before. Had I seen that figure before I proclaimed Frisco the next best choice, I might not have said that. You have to realize that it was a final four type thing, so you'd think some of the semifinal losers would have stuck around giving them the attendance of four schools (big ones at that).

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
I hope so. But that attendance at the soccer finals was pretty abysmal. Surely somebody brought that up before. Had I seen that figure before I proclaimed Frisco the next best choice, I might not have said that. You have to realize that it was a final four type thing, so you'd think some of the semifinal losers would have stuck around giving them the attendance of four schools (big ones at that).

Oh, the soccer finals were in Frisco? I didn't realize that. Ouch is right.

EmeryZach
October 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Keep it in 'Nooga. I can drive the 14 hours. Driving to Frisco will be a pain. I would have to take atleast 2 days off of work.

No flying for me.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Oh, the soccer finals were in Frisco? I didn't realize that. Ouch is right.
Apparently. I didn't know that until just now while I was searching for pics or images around the stadium. The semis and finals both had less than 7k. I really can't believe nobody mentioned this last week when Frisco came up. xconfusedx

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/121408aae.html

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Keep it in 'Nooga. I can drive the 14 hours.
Don't tell the people out west that. Some of them claim only AppSt is driving distance. :p

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Chatty should not be considered because it's home to an FCS team.

Principle alone should dictate that.

wkuhillhound
October 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Went to Chattanooga in 2002 and I had a great time! Go Tops!!! Luckily, I was able to get time off while I was working to go. I have never regretting going. It was about a 4 hour drive from where I lived not including cross time zones. xnodx

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Comparing Chattanooga, TN to Frisco, TX (amenities) is like comparing a backwoods 1BR shack to a 15 BR/Bath mansion. lol (literally)

Weather wise in Jan? It's slightly "iffy" around these parts. I've seen it warm up to lower 70s in Jan to also being in the high 30s. lol It varies as the jet stream dictates whenever it swoops in from Canada.

Hope Frisco wins out. Also, San Antone wouldn't be a bad choice for a destination either. Naturally, I'm biased w/ bringing it to Texas because I'd love to see it for myself since I refuse to ever fly or drive in or about TN as it has nothing of value to offer outside of UnivTenn football. xlolx

bostonspider
October 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
That is a pretty abysmal number for the soccer finals. When Richmond hosted that same event in the mid 90's I think there were over 20K at UR Stadium..

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
That is a pretty abysmal number for the soccer finals. When Richmond hosted that same event in the mid 90's I think there were over 20K at UR Stadium..

Who were the teams playing?

ACC is pretty strong in soccer.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Comparing Chattanooga, TN to Frisco, TX (amenities) is like comparing a backwoods 1BR shack to a 15 BR/Bath mansion. lol (literally)
Give us some details. From the sounds of it, Frisco is a suburban, strip mall, box store, run of the mill bedroom community. We need more info on this town. xthumbsupx

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM

Spider, not making excuses for the lower turnout but here in Texas there are 2 sports: Football and then MORE Football. I think soccer is some type of east coast thing. It's not popular here, like ice hockey. I think those "sports" (if that's what you call them xlolx ) are more regionalized w/ their importance and value.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Looking at the attendance figures for the soccer finals it looks about average for the finals in this decade.

They haven't drawn over 10,000 since the mid 90's at Richmond.

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Give us some details. From the sounds of it, Frisco is a suburban, strip mall, box store, run of the mill bedroom community. We need more info on this town. xthumbsupx

Jerry Jones, the Perots, and Mr Staubach and his backers own QUITE a bit of that lil' bitty town along w/ quite a bit of the recent development. lol :D Quite a few million dollar residences nestled not too far from the stadium (literally xreadx ) and just across Hwy121 Toll (East-West), there sits QUITE a few HQers for JCP, Frito Lay, PSystems, et al I've come not to know anymore lol.

It is indeed the quintessential picture of "newer" suburbia. The town recorded explosive growth over the last 10-12 years from out of nowhere and @ one point, it was host to the largest mall in the entire d/fw metroplex (until NorthPark dethroned). There are indeed quite a few eateries, sports/non-sports bars lol, and hotels in that area near the stadiums (plural). If you're not finding what you want there, the Dallas North Tollway can easily shoot one southward towards the big city (Dallas ~15-20min drive depending on how you like doing 80+mph on the personal raceway (tollway) ) where there's everything you could want + more. Being objective and non-biased, I would prefer that type setting over a w/e rather that what "nooga" lol could ever offer.

Check out their site (city of Frisco, TX) or chamber of commerce's site to see what all is offered there. I can't keep up w/ it anymore as they're continually growing that guy.

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Jerry Jones, the Perots, and Mr Staubach and his backers own QUITE a bit of that lil' bitty town along w/ quite a bit of the recent development. lol :D Quite a few million dollar residences nestled not too far from the stadium (literally xreadx ) and just across Hwy121 Toll (East-West), there sits QUITE a few HQers for JCP, Frito Lay, PSystems, et al I've come not to know anymore lol.

And this impacts the ability to host an FCS Nat'l Championship Game....how? xconfusedx

Believe it or not, there are rich people who outside of the state of Texas...there are even some in Tennessee...

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
And this impacts the ability to host an FCS Nat'l Championship Game....how? xconfusedx

Believe it or not, there are rich people who outside of the state of Texas...there are even some in Tennessee...

It effects the City of Frisco's ability to dump money into promoting the game. Frisco isn't a farm town that it used to be. It has mucho dinero (as they say in Texas) for this bid. It is also reportedly backed by major national sponsorships.

The point is Chatty, it looks like Chatty will have to come up with something big to keep the game.

ur2k
October 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Who were the teams playing?

ACC is pretty strong in soccer.

98 was Indiana and Stanford. Didn't look for the rest. I believe Richmond hosted from 94-98 at UR stadium.

It is indeed the quintessential picture of "newer" suburbia. The town recorded explosive growth over the last 10-12 years from out of nowhere and @ one point, it was host to the largest mall in the entire d/fw metroplex (until NorthPark dethroned). There are indeed quite a few eateries, sports/non-sports bars lol, and hotels in that area near the stadiums (plural). If you're not finding what you want there, the Dallas North Tollway can easily shoot one southward towards the big city (Dallas ~15-20min drive depending on how you like doing 80+mph on the personal raceway (tollway) ) where there's everything you could want + more. Being objective and non-biased, I would prefer that type setting over a w/e rather that what "nooga" lol could ever offer.

Check out their site (city of Frisco, TX) or chamber of commerce's site to see what all is offered there. I can't keep up w/ it anymore as they're continually growing that guy.

How does mansions nearby affect fan access to the game. I would prefer a stadium in a downtown environment over something in suburbia, but that's just me.

Skjellyfetti
October 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Seems like most people that have been to Chattanooga for the championship game want to see it stay there. I'm the same way. Keep it in Chatty!

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
it was host to the largest mall in the entire d/fw metroplex (until NorthPark dethroned). There are indeed quite a few eateries, sports/non-sports bars lol, and hotels in that area near the stadiums (plural).
The COC touts IKEA as a big attraction. No offense, I like going to IKEA, but if that's one of the biggest attractions.... xeyebrowx

You know the saying of "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."? This could be a case of "Nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there." xeyebrowx

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
How does mansions nearby affect fan access to the game. I would prefer a stadium in a downtown environment over something in suburbia, but that's just me.
xnodx

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM

Have the checked the history of the previous sites?

Chattanooga is becoming to the FCS, what Omaha is to the CWS.

Don't kill the momentum.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM

Don't kill the momentum.
Wow, I missed that comment. Mpls, yet another topic I coud not disagree with you more on. The fact that Chatty has I-AA football is a PLUS.

ashram
October 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
"Chattanooga" has become synonymous with "Championship game." Keep it in Chatty forever and ever amen.

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM
Apparently. I didn't know that until just now while I was searching for pics or images around the stadium. The semis and finals both had less than 7k. I really can't believe nobody mentioned this last week when Frisco came up. xconfusedx

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/121408aae.html

People in TX don't care about soccer, though. Football, on the other hand.....

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
People in TX don't care about soccer, though. Football, on the other hand.....
Very true, but do they care about I-AA football? It's easy to say they're crazy about any kind of football, but that's a little exaggeration.

They still are talking about coming out right in the middle of BCS Bowel season and likely the same Sunday as the last regular season of the Cowboys (ALSO surprised that hasn't been mentioned).

Jeez, after thinking Frisco was the best alternative (I've still got Chatty #1 until somebody beats them xsmiley_wix) the more I dig, the less I like it.

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

No comparison. lol Dump TN or attractive NTx.xthumbsupx xlolx

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM

Laugh all you want, but I'd also say... strip mall TX or small city TN. xpeacex

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Seems like most people that have been to Chattanooga for the championship game want to see it stay there. I'm the same way. Keep it in Chatty!

Been to Chatty was ok (in all fairness in 04' rolled in that Fri morning, went straight to tailgating, and rolled out that Sat morning). But considering (if the NC is going to be held on the eve of the BCS NC game) the 1st 3 NCs will be held, Sun, 9th, Sun, Jan 8th, Sun, Jan 6th, Frisco looks more attractive weather wise and with stuff to do on the weekend beforehand wise (esp being right by the Big D), as most people would fly in (unless there was an SLC in the game) on the Fri or Sat beforehand.

Probably the only reason I'd want it to stay in Chatty is that I could drive to it (11 hrs not including stops or traffic). But damn, that is a LONG drive for me. If I'm flying to either one, I'm definitely for for Frisco. So I'm on the fence about this whole thing.

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Laugh all you want, but I'd also say... strip mall TX or small city TN. xpeacex

Where's the closest airport to Chatty 89Hen? Someone's corn field? xlolx Is "jet" service even OFFERED there?! xlolx Or, does one have to either parachute in LMAO or help the pilots w/ the prop plane after they're done w/ the crop dusting? xlolx Closet accessible airport to Chatty is Atlanta, GA Hartsfield lol or Washington, D.C. Reagan. That's a damned shame. xsmhx

Chatty is HICK and more than likely backwards I'm sure. Call it for what it is. xlolx

FargoBison
October 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
My plane ticket is $130 cheaper or my drive is 3 1/2 hours shorter. Lets go Frisco!!!

Panther88
October 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
My plane ticket is $130 cheaper or my drive is 3 1/2 hours shorter. Lets go Frisco!!!

Smart man. :D

blueballs
October 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Where's the closest airport to Chatty 89Hen? Someone's corn field? xlolx Is "jet" service even OFFERED there?! xlolx Or, does one have to either parachute in LMAO or help the pilots w/ the prop plane after they're done w/ the crop dusting? xlolx Closet accessible airport to Chatty is Atlanta, GA Hartsfield lol or Washington, D.C. Reagan. That's a damned shame. xsmhx

Chatty is HICK and more than likely backwards I'm sure. Call it for what it is. xlolx

Chatty has an airport and I can fly there from Orlando in an hour on Allegiant Air for less than $80 round trip.

If the NCAA wants to really f--k this thing up all they need to move it to a city that doesn't have an FCS presence and isn't within 5-7 hour driving range of schools who have won more than half of the championships in the division's history.

Chatty has EARNED the right to keep both the championship game and the awards banquet that precedes it. The ONLY problem Chatty has ever had was the condition of the playing surface (see 2000 & 2004) but with the installation of field turf that has been rectified.

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM
This is coming down to a regional thing. Seems like most people that can drive to Chatty (mid atlantic, Southeast (So-Con, CAA South, OVC, Big South)) want to keep it in Chatty. Seems like most further west (SLC, MVFC, Big Sky, Great West) that can either drive to Frisco or have to fly to either location want it in Frisco.

Appinator
October 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
Not to sound like I have too much of an east cost bias, but it really doesn't make sense for the NCAA to move the team west to a Montana or Texas site. In the past 12 years that the NC game has been in Chattanooga, there has only been two games where a SoCon or CAA team has not been involved.

I think the main reason over the past few years we saw such a growth in attendance was the close proximity to these participating conferences. If we had the game in Montana and we had a Elon-Richmond game out west, I don't think 5K people would show up. Not because football doesn't matter in that town, but because getting students to just hop on a plane to attend these games and get back would almost be financially impossible for them to do on a week's notice.

I know the counterpoint would be "well how do you think UM or UNI gets support in Chattanooga?" Which is a very valid point, they should not be handicapped for all of eternity just because they are out west and the majority of FCS football is played on the eastern and southern portion of the country.

Logically then, the only place that would remotely make sense would be Frisco. Even if we were given a game out there, it would be much more likely for fans to be able to catch a flight to DFW than to Missoula or Spokane.

So then the argument becomes Chattanooga vs. Frisco (aka Dallas). I think this is going to be hard for Chattanooga to win, especially with the full backing of the Southland, while the SoCon has really not stated anything public that they are willing to go to bat for their site. I hope it stays where it is, but from this outsider, it is not looking all that good.

BDKJMU
October 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Not to sound like I have too much of an east cost bias, but it really doesn't make sense for the NCAA to move the team west to a Montana or Texas site. In the past 12 years that the NC game has been in Chattanooga, there has only been two games where a SoCon or CAA team has not been involved.

I think the main reason over the past few years we saw such a growth in attendance was the close proximity to these participating conferences. If we had the game in Montana and we had a Elon-Richmond game out west, I don't think 5K people would show up. Not because football doesn't matter in that town, but because getting students to just hop on a plane to attend these games and get back would almost be financially impossible for them to do on a week's notice.

I know the counterpoint would be "well how do you think UM or UNI gets support in Chattanooga?" Which is a very valid point, they should not be handicapped for all of eternity just because they are out west and the majority of FCS football is played on the eastern and southern portion of the country.

Logically then, the only place that would remotely make sense would be Frisco. Even if we were given a game out there, it would be much more likely for fans to be able to catch a flight to DFW than to Missoula or Spokane.

So then the argument becomes Chattanooga vs. Frisco (aka Dallas). I think this is going to be hard for Chattanooga to win, especially with the full backing of the Southland, while the SoCon has really not stated anything public that they are willing to go to bat for their site. I hope it stays where it is, but from this outsider, it is not looking all that good.

On a week's notice???? You mean 3 weeks?

Appinator
October 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
On a week's notice???? You mean 3 weeks?

Forgot they are screwing us and setting us up to be the perceived JV game before the BCS championship. One week or three weeks, it doesn't matter. I couldn't have swung a plan ticket while in college on that short of a notice....

100%GRIZ
October 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
I would be happy with either Frisco or San Antonio!!! Let's see who has the deepest pockets!!!

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Forgot they are screwing us and setting us up to be the perceived JV game before the BCS championship. One week or three weeks, it doesn't matter. I couldn't have swung a plan ticket while in college on that short of a notice....

You probably could if Southwest airlines offered a great deal for students and fans of the teams participating.

That's rumored to be part of Frisco's bid with Southwest as a major sponsor.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
You probably could if Southwest airlines offered a great deal for students and fans of the teams participating.

HOLY CRAP!!! I'd be in for that as long as they offered a flight from Dulles :D

Appinator
October 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM

That would work well for teams that were near a major airport where southwest flew out of. Raleigh is the only airport Southwest serves in North Carolina, so students from Boone and alumni from across the state alike would still have to get in a car and make a three hour drive before they could get on a plane. I would rather have a 4 hour car drive and just be there, but that is purely from an ASU perspective.

ashram
October 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM

xconfusedx
Ever been? If I were from Chattanooga I'd take offense to that.

purplepeopleeaterv2
October 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
That would work well for teams that were near a major airport where southwest flew out of. Raleigh is the only airport Southwest serves in North Carolina, so students from Boone and alumni from across the state alike would still have to get in a car and make a three hour drive before they could get on a plane. I would rather have a 4 hour car drive and just be there, but that is purely from an ASU perspective.

It is Boone we are talking about xsmiley_wix. JMU would have a 2 hour drive to Dulles or Richmond. It's expected when talking about cross country flights. Sure beats driving though....

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM

I'm assuming the offer would include charters to schools in cities that SW doesn't serve. SW doesn't fly into the entire southeast (except Florida). If it doesn't its not nearly worth as much considering the concentration of FCS schools in that area.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm assuming the offer would include charters to schools in cities that SW doesn't serve. SW doesn't fly into the entire southeast (except Florida). If it doesn't its not nearly worth as much considering the concentration of FCS schools in that area.

Even if Southwest offers deals into DFW fot the game, how does this help the majority of the SE and East Coast teams, where Southwest has a minimal presence?

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hold the opinion of people who have actually been to Chatty for the NC game a little higher than those who have not. xpeacex

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Even if Southwest offers deals into DFW fot the game, how does this help the majority of the SE and East Coast teams, where Southwest has a minimal presence?

That was the point of my post that you quoted. xconfusedx

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
98 was Indiana and Stanford. Didn't look for the rest. I believe Richmond hosted from 94-98 at UR stadium.

Still, ACC is strong college soccer country (stronger than most, anyway).

I guess you would think TX would be too with so many Mexican-Americans?

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM

Don't kill the momentum.

The stadium in Omaha is not home to a DI baseball team. No principle violated.

Don't care for Chatty as the host and, as far as I'm concerned, you're just another App fan trying desperately to cling onto that short drive.

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Don't care for Chatty as the host
Bad experience there?

grizband
October 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
The closest airport to Missoula for Southwest flights is Spokane, WA, a three hour drive away.

soccerguy315
October 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM

does Southwest fly to Dulles? I think as of a few years ago they only flew to BWI... but I might be wrong / they might have changed.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I hold the opinion of people who have actually been to Chatty for the NC game a little higher than those who have not. xpeacex

I'd like to be included in the "Have Been" department, but it has always been to costly. Maybe with the delay in the semis and finals and not having to buy your ticket 5 days away, it will be affordable to fly. The 28 hour drive is just a little long to drive it in the winter for me.

MplsBison
October 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM

Read: lets never attempt to make anything better

CamelCityAppFan
October 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM

Most of your comments regarding Chattanooga and Tennessee have been simply boorish, immature and offensive rantings, but the statement about the airports is factually incorrect.

McTailGator
October 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Keep it at Chatty.. that way no team will ever have home field advantage in the title game.

:D

No one ever would in Frisco, because they don't play college football there at all now.

McTailGator
October 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM

I understand that SWAL is offering up a couple of charters for the finalists and their fans regardless of where they are.

McTailGator
October 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM

They Charter aircraft too.

And they do have a strong presence in the NE.

BWI (Baltimore-Wash)
LaGuardia (NY)
Boston
New Hampshire
Long Island
Richmond
All of the SE
Philly

CHARTERS

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Read: lets never attempt to make anything better
OR, let's not do something just for the sake of doing something. xcoolx

If you notice in the thread about Frisco, I actually was VERY open to discussing it as a suitable alternative. Since then I've come to see that Frisco is a suburb bedroom community that is most likely full of TGIFridays and Home Depots. I've also learned that they did NOT come close to supporting the NCAA Mens' Soccer finals that were held there last year (30% less attendance than for a regular season FC Dallas game).

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'd like to be included in the "Have Been" department, but it has always been to costly. Maybe with the delay in the semis and finals and not having to buy your ticket 5 days away, it will be affordable to fly. The 28 hour drive is just a little long to drive it in the winter for me.
Not our fault you live in Utah. :p Chatty isn't exactly right around the corner for me though either.

phoenix3
October 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Unless Elon was in the NC I probably wouldn't go to Chattanooga. I would be much more likely to go to San Antonio regardless of the participants. It is a nice city with lots to do there, great restaurants, the Riverwalk, etc.

Eaglegus2
October 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Should the Championship game get moved to Texas? I really hope those deep pockets can use the money to put butts in the seats. You will see some of the lowest attendance for the games.

Chattanooga is more centrally located to schools more apt to make it to the Champinship game. Look at the history and location of the teams playing in Chattanooga.

As they always say, "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."

89Hen
October 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Unless Elon was in the NC I probably wouldn't go to Chattanooga. I would be much more likely to go to San Antonio regardless of the participants. It is a nice city with lots to do there, great restaurants, the Riverwalk, etc.
xrolleyesx No offense 3, but that's cheap talk. You're very unlikely to go to either.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM

BWI (Baltimore-Wash)
LaGuardia (NY)
Boston
New Hampshire
Long Island
Richmond
All of the SE
Philly

CHARTERS

First, Richmond isn't Northeast.
Second, Southwest flies to Norfolk, not Richmond.

Outside of that, Southwest flies to Raleigh, Nashville, Louisville, Jackson, Norfolk and Birmingham to cover an area from Virginia to Kentucky down to Mississippi to South Georgia.

That basically means they serve, easily, only a handful of schools from the OVC, Big South, CAA South, MEAC, SoCon and SWAC. 40% of the I-AA schools sit in that void.

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM

Outside of that, Southwest flies to Raleigh, Nashville, Louisville, Jackson, Norfolk and Birmingham to cover an area from Virginia to Kentucky down to Mississippi to South Georgia.

That basically means they serve, easily, only a handful of schools from the OVC, Big South, CAA South, MEAC, SoCon and SWAC. 40% of the I-AA schools sit in that void.

But once again you aren't reading full posts.

CHARTERS fly anywhere!!!

Saint3333
October 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM

Don't care for Chatty as the host and, as far as I'm concerned, you're just another App fan trying desperately to cling onto that short drive.

You are confusing two different points. The FCS/1-AA championship site has historically been at a FCS college's stadium (Marshall, GSU, Charleston).

I compared Nooga to Omaha as the town has really started to embrace the game.

If I wanted a short ride I'd post to move it to Charleston, Atlanta, or Boone.

Think about the attendance in Nooga vs. the alternatives the past 10 years with the same opponents participating. Even if you throw out the ASU years I'd wager Nooga would still draw more.

Big Al
October 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM

If you notice in the thread about Frisco, I actually was VERY open to discussing it as a suitable alternative. Since then I've come to see that Frisco is a suburb bedroom community that is most likely full of TGIFridays and Home Depots. I've also learned that they did NOT come close to supporting the NCAA Mens' Soccer finals that were held there last year (30% less attendance than for a regular season FC Dallas game).

Yes, but still double the best average attendance of any college's regular season games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but their attendance was still in line with the prior few years, no? Also, any non-premier sports event like soccer will suffer in these economic conditions.

gophoenix
October 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
But once again you aren't reading full posts.

CHARTERS fly anywhere!!!

No, I chose to ignore the point of charters. As in, Charters do not fly anywhere unless CHARTERED.

For instance, if App makes the championship in Frisco. The closest airport that serves REGULAR service is RDU. So, they charter. Where are the going to charter to? GSO? INT? TRI? That would serve Boone and the students.

But what about alumni? Those scattered throughout the region? Those are the ones who won't get the charter. And so far, charters have only been mentioned for students, not for anyone else. Which still leaves, even if Southwest makes deals to fly to DFW, they still don't have but 7 cities in the region of 40% of I-AA schools. Actually, I checked again, it is 44% of I-AA schools.

Anyway. Southwest works for those in the Southwest, it doesn't really work for those in the Western NE, South or Pacific Northwest. So it's a moot point.

FUPaladins
October 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM
No, I chose to ignore the point of charters. As in, Charters do not fly anywhere unless CHARTERED.

For instance, if App makes the championship in Frisco. The closest airport that serves REGULAR service is RDU. So, they charter. Where are the going to charter to? GSO? INT? TRI? That would serve Boone and the students.

But what about alumni? Those scattered throughout the region? Those are the ones who won't get the charter. And so far, charters have only been mentioned for students, not for anyone else. Which still leaves, even if Southwest makes deals to fly to DFW, they still don't have but 7 cities in the region of 40% of I-AA schools. Actually, I checked again, it is 44% of I-AA schools.

Anyway. Southwest works for those in the Southwest, it doesn't really work for those in the Western NE, South or Pacific Northwest. So it's a moot point.

gophoenix, i agree with you 250%

danefan
October 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM

Good points about alumni bases. I don't know what your acronyms stand for so I'm not sure if I can respond. I think I understand what you are saying though. The Southwest offer is diminished by the fact that a large portion of alumni from the heavily concentrated FCS areas aren't served by Southwest.
Right?

However, with that being said, there is nothing stopping the school from chartering regional flights for alumni in a particularly concentrated area. E.g. App Alumni association could put together a package out of Charlotte or Atlanta, etc... Similar to what Montana fans have done lately. But this will, no doubt, increase the cost from the option to drive to Chatty.

There are a lot more opportunities now considering the additional 3 weeks between the semi's and finals.

FUPaladins
October 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Texas would not have a very large attendance because it is so far away from most teams that will be considered for the playoffs. Only three top 25 teams (AGS Poll) are even moderately close to TX, (#12 McNeese State, #13 SFA & #18 Central Arkansas) compared to EIGHT close to Chattanooga, including #1 Richmond, #5 William & Mary #7 Elon, #8 App State, and #10 SC State. Which makes more sense...?

gophoenix
October 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Good points about alumni bases. I don't know what your acronyms stand for so I'm not sure if I can respond. I think I understand what you are saying though. The Southwest offer is diminished by the fact that a large portion of alumni from the heavily concentrated FCS areas aren't served by Southwest.
Right?

However, with that being said, there is nothing stopping the school from chartering regional flights for alumni in a particularly concentrated area. E.g. App Alumni association could put together a package out of Charlotte or Atlanta, etc... Similar to what Montana fans have done lately. But this will, no doubt, increase the cost from the option to drive to Chatty.

There are a lot more opportunities now considering the additional 3 weeks between the semi's and finals.

I read that again, and I sound like a big jerk in my reply. I think I need to start proof reading so I don't sound so blunt.

The acronyms are just airport codes for Bristol/Johnson City, Winston-Salem and Greensboro. I assume everyone knows because I used to be a pilot and knew a lot by heart, sorry...

PhoenixSupreme
October 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Texas would not have a very large attendance because it is so far away from most teams that will be considered for the playoffs. Only three top 25 teams (AGS Poll) are even moderately close to TX, (#12 McNeese State, #13 SFA & #18 Central Arkansas) compared to EIGHT close to Chattanooga, including #1 Richmond, #5 William & Mary #7 Elon, #8 App State, and #10 SC State. Which makes more sense...?

I know where you are coming from in your post but your post is really only applicable to this year as shown by the teams you've posted. The SoCon and CAA are always gonna have teams in the top 25, but the balance of teams in the polls per conference will shift from year to year. But we are discussing the site for the next few years, and in a few years time, there is potential the balance of conference power in the polls may shift towards Texas or more towards the west (but it is slightly doubtful).

phoenix3
October 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
xrolleyesx No offense 3, but that's cheap talk. You're very unlikely to go to either.

You're probably right, but San Antonio is a very nice city and by some chance Elon does make it to the NC game I would certainly make it out to San Antonio just as I would to Chattanooga.

bkrownd
October 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM

Rosenblatt is a second home field for Creighton, who use it regularly. (10+ home games in 2009)

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM

BWI (Baltimore-Wash)
LaGuardia (NY)
Boston
New Hampshire
Long Island
Richmond
All of the SE
Philly

CHARTERS

They fly to Dulles too. You're counting JMU as one of the schools that sit in that void, but Harrisonburg is less than 2 hrs from Dulles. If you're gonna fly out of Harrisonburg, you're likely going to drive to the DC area (Dulles, Reagan, BWI) or 2 hrs to Richmond. Heck, a majority of JMU alumni live in the DC/Baltimore area, Richmond, and the Tidewater area (Norfolk) and I could see charters out of those locations if JMU was in the title game.

AshevilleApp2
October 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM

Attractive Texas is an oxymoron. I know. I've been there.

ur2k
October 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM

Completely agree. The game shouldn't be in a suburban strip-mall wasteland (if that's what Frisco is). The event will lose a lot of energy by being in that type of environment.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM

I've been to Chatty and prefer Frisco. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Rosenblatt is a second home field for Creighton, who use it regularly. (10+ home games in 2009)

Rosenblatt is not a home field to any DI college baseball team.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yes, but still double the best average attendance of any college's regular season games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but their attendance was still in line with the prior few years, no? Also, any non-premier sports event like soccer will suffer in these economic conditions.
The fact that they played in Frisco's soccer stadium where they average more for FC Dallas than what showed up for the semis or finals tells me there was little to no local interest. Soccer may be a "non-premier sports event" but in reality, so is the I-AA NC for John Q when compared most of the bowls. If they don't support a national event held in the stadium in which they have a home team, what makes you think they would support our event?

BTW, the Frozen Four sold out all games within minutes of going on sale... they had to have a lottery for tickets. xpeacex

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
The fact that they played in Frisco's soccer stadium where they average more for FC Dallas than what showed up for the semis or finals tells me there was little to no local interest. Soccer may be a "non-premier sports event" but in reality, so is the I-AA NC for John Q when compared most of the bowls. If they don't support a national event held in the stadium in which they have a home team, what makes you think they would support our event?

BTW, the Frozen Four sold out all games within minutes of going on sale... they had to have a lottery for tickets. xpeacex

Because football is king in Texas.

Soccer is not.

Apples to oranges.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I know where you are coming from in your post but your post is really only applicable to this year as shown by the teams you've posted. The SoCon and CAA are always gonna have teams in the top 25, but the balance of teams in the polls per conference will shift from year to year. But we are discussing the site for the next few years, and in a few years time, there is potential the balance of conference power in the polls may shift towards Texas or more towards the west (but it is slightly doubtful).
The last 12 NC games featured at least one SoCon or CAA team, and a couple years featured two. I'm sure there will be a years when there's not one but it's hard to ignore history and odds. xpeacex

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM

I'm pretty sure that there are no subdivisions for college hockey is there?

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM

Soccer is not.

Apples to oranges.
No. I was comparing soccer to soccer when showing that the National Chamionship final four was played in a stadium where FC Dallas plays and they had FEWER fans than for an FC Dallas game. I'd have to imagine that Maryland, North Carolina, et al brought some fans that may not be regular attendees at an FC Dallas game. Locals did NOT come to a national championship game in a sport that they host right there in that stadium.

As for football being king, I'm sure people in Texas love their football. But they love THEIR football. There are I-A schools in Texas that only have 50-60% capacity at their games. You put UMass and UNI in a game in Frisco and you expect me to believe the locals are going to be jazzed about it? Remember, it's in the middle of the BCS bowels AND on the day of the final NFL regular season game.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that there are no subdivisions for college hockey is there?
Neither does soccer.

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
No. I was comparing soccer to soccer when showing that the National Chamionship final four was played in a stadium where FC Dallas plays and they had FEWER fans than for an FC Dallas game. I'd have to imagine that Maryland, North Carolina, et al brought some fans that may not be regular attendees at an FC Dallas game. Locals did NOT come to a national championship game in a sport that they host right there in that stadium.

As for football being king, I'm sure people in Texas love their football. But they love THEIR football. There are I-A schools in Texas that only have 50-60% capacity at their games. You put UMass and UNI in a game in Frisco and you expect me to believe the locals are going to be jazzed about it? Remember, it's in the middle of the BCS bowels AND on the day of the final NFL regular season game.

Hen, your points are well taken, but what makes you think it will be any different at Chatty when the date moves to January?

Put UNI versus UMass in Chatty with the Titans in a playoff hunt and UT in a bowl game and you won't get any locals there either.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
You're probably right, but San Antonio is a very nice city and by some chance Elon does make it to the NC game I would certainly make it out to San Antonio just as I would to Chattanooga.
I should have added, there's no way I go either if UD isn't in it, unless they played it in Newark, Towson, Richmond, etc... xpeacex

UCABEARS75
October 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Frisco vs. Chatty; let's just split the difference

LITTLE ROCK

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hen, your points are well taken, but what makes you think it will be any different at Chatty when the date moves to January?

Put UNI versus UMass in Chatty with the Titans in a playoff hunt and UT in a bowl game and you won't get any locals there either.
I think I mentioned this earlier, but making a case that Location B is no worse than Chatty is not a good reason to move IMO. Chatty locals do support the game. We don't know if Frisco would. They certainly didn't support the Soccer Cup. xpeacex

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I should have added, there's no way I go either if UD isn't in it, unless they played it in Newark, Towson, Richmond, etc... xpeacex

which is the main problem about changing locations IMO. How do you draw the common public to become interested in this game. The Super Bowl is a neutral site draw, the BCS Bowls are neutral site draws. I would actually support keeping it in Chatty to build the mystique of FCS football, we play for OUR national championship. Build up the FCS title game in its current location. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure I follow your logic. MANY other NCAA playoffs and championship tournaments are held at stadiums or arenas that are home to a DI school. What's the problem?

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
which is the main problem about changing locations IMO. How do you draw the common public to become interested in this game. The Super Bowl is a neutral site draw, the BCS Bowls are neutral site draws. I would actually support keeping it in Chatty to build the mystique of FCS football, we play for OUR national championship. Build up the FCS title game in its current location. xthumbsupx
Yup. You answered it nicely. It's something you build up.

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think I mentioned this earlier, but making a case that Location B is no worse than Chatty is not a good reason to move IMO. Chatty locals do support the game. We don't know if Frisco would. They certainly didn't support the Soccer Cup. xpeacex

I agree. But if Frisco's bid is way bigger than Chatty's, which it is rumored to be, then I think the NCAA will move it to Frisco. All I'm saying is that if this does happen, it wouldn't be much different from Chatty.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
That would explain how tickets sold out so quickly, hardcore hockey fans love their sport. And the traditional powers in college DI hockey are usually in the championship. (Boston U, Minnesota, etc)
You can't say the same for the FCS football, I'm sure that it would be a draw no matter the location,(Frisco, Orlando, Chatty), but the teams that are involved are the biggest factor.

Neither does soccer.

...we're talking about soccer in America here. xlolx

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I agree. But if Frisco's bid is way bigger than Chatty's, which it is rumored to be, then I think the NCAA will move it to Frisco. All I'm saying is that if this does happen, it wouldn't be much different from Chatty.
I think it probably will, both from a local and travel standpoint. xpeacex

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
the teams that are involved are the biggest factor.
No doubt. Both in support and proximity. When UVA was in the soccer finals in Richmond, it set records.

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yup. You answered it nicely. It's something you build up.

Exactly, you can't pull the whole "put it here and they will come" bit for something as important as this. (not directed to you 89, but in general). The FCS championship should be a way of celebrating our own level of college football because its ours. Wouldn't it be cool for the schools that have won I-AA/FCS titles in the past held events in Chatty (or another location) for their fans to relive their championship days? Just how HBCUs have our "Classic" games. We turn it into an event, make it more than just the game itself. xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
October 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
No doubt. Both in support and proximity. When UVA was in the soccer finals in Richmond, it set records.

Problem is that an argument would be made to have the higher seeded team host the championship game. Then it would be Marshall all over again. xcoffeex

appmaj
October 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I am mixed on Chatty...like how close it is to NC (when I am there). But they really pissed me off with all the complaints over the last few years. It is football (at night) there are going to be rowdy fans. I'm not saying they don't have the right to complain but, a lot of the complaint IMO were due to poor planning by Chatty. and fans exploiting that.

At this point for me it is a plane ride to anywhere unless it is in Florida.
I'd like the tradition of Chatty but it wouldn't bother me if it moved somewhere else.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Problem is that an argument would be made to have the higher seeded team host the championship game. Then it would be Marshall all over again. xcoffeex
I'm in no way for having the higher seed host it. No offense to our conference mate, but imagine UNH hosting the National Championship. xoopsx

I use the UVA at Richmond example to say it needs to stay where you have the greatest chance of having somebody fairly close by.

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
They fly to Dulles too. You're counting JMU as one of the schools that sit in that void, but Harrisonburg is less than 2 hrs from Dulles. If you're gonna fly out of Harrisonburg, you're likely going to drive to the DC area (Dulles, Reagan, BWI) or 2 hrs to Richmond. Heck, a majority of JMU alumni live in the DC/Baltimore area, Richmond, and the Tidewater area (Norfolk) and I could see charters out of those locations if JMU was in the title game.

Ok,

well, Let's talk about it like this then. Of the schools in the South, these schools are within 2 legit hours of a Southwest served airport:

NC Central
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Norfolk State
Hampton
Jackson State
Samford
Tennessee State
Jacksonville
Central Arkansas
Southern
SE Louisiana

Elon (barely)
Campbell (barely)
Jacksonville State (barely)
James Madison (barely)

That leaves 38 schools outside of a convenient airport with this "discounted" service for the Frisco game.

This counts Kentucky, Virginia, N Carolina, S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Not to mention Southwest doesn't serve N Dakota, S Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Georgia or South Carolina at all with ANY regular service.

That means traditional powers like North Iowa, Furman, Georgia Southern and Montana have no nearby regular service on Southwest.

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ok,

well, Let's talk about it like this then. Of the schools in the South, these schools are within 2 legit hours of a Southwest served airport:

NC Central
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Norfolk State
Hampton
Jackson State
Samford
Tennessee State
Jacksonville
Central Arkansas
Southern
SE Louisiana

Elon (barely)
Campbell (barely)
James Madison (barely)

That leaves 38 schools outside of a convenient airport with this "discounted" service for the Frisco game.

This counts Kentucky, Virginia, N Carolina, S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Not to mention Southwest doesn't serve N Dakota, S Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Georgia or South Carolina at all with ANY regular service.

That means traditional powers like North Iowa, Furman, Georgia Southern and Montana have no nearby regular service on Southwest.

BUT WHAT ABOUT CHARTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm kidding. xlolx

BEAR
October 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
The Little Rock option provides an airport within 5 minutes of L.R.'s War Memorial Stadium. Seriously about a $10 or less cab ride and you're there.

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
BUT WHAT ABOUT CHARTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charters can work. But the deal is, how to you schedule them.

For someone like App, are you going to run them for the students closeby and then have ones that hop like Knoxville to Bristol to greensboro to Charlotte, to greenville then to Frisco?

For someone like Elon it gets even crazier as the core of the alumni base is even more spread out.

Charters can work, there is just not guarantee on them. Scheduled service, there's a guarantee on it. Which is one of the things that surprises me about Southwest. They are willing to go out and serve nearby areas and ones that aren't terribly big in the Southwest area of the country. But, in other areas, they are unwilling to do it. They serve Amarillo, Lubbock and Odessa separately. They serve both Tulsa and OK City even though they are close. But down south they are unwilling to go into places to Richmond, Greensboro, Charleston, Columbia, Savannah, Macon, Tallahassee, Montgomery, Knoxville. And to me, this is why their sponsorship means very little to the core of FCS.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm kidding. xlolx
I think he missed that part. :p

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I think he missed that part. :p

Yeah and now I feel bad. His head probably exploded when he saw me ask about charters again!

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure I follow your logic. MANY other NCAA playoffs and championship tournaments are held at stadiums or arenas that are home to a DI school. What's the problem?

None of the championships should be held at a stadium that is the home stadium of a team eligible for that championship.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
None of the championships should be held at a stadium that is the home stadium of a team eligible for that championship.
What about playoffs?

FargoBison
October 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Ok,

NC Central
William & Mary
Old Dominion
Norfolk State
Hampton
Jackson State
Samford
Tennessee State
Jacksonville
Central Arkansas
Southern
SE Louisiana

Elon (barely)
Campbell (barely)
James Madison (barely)

Who cares about charters if the plane ticket is cheaper. For the Dakota schools we are talking about $120 per ticket less for Frisco or a 3 hour shorter drive. Southwest also flies out of Minneapolis which is a major airport all the Dakota schools and UNI could use.

Frisco is much better for those of us out west. Any location near a major airport is much better.

SumItUp
October 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Who cares if the plane ticket is cheaper. For the Dakota schools we are talking about $120 per ticket or a 3 hour shorter drive. Southwest also flies out of Minneapolis which is a major airport all the Dakota schools and UNI could use.

Frisco is much better for those of us out west. Any location near a major airport is much better.

Dallas is also served by low cost carriers Frontier Airlines, AirTran Airways and Alaska/Horizon Air. These airlines will cover many areas that Southwest does not offer service.

In the world of AGS, the selection process (discussion) has become a two-horse race between Chattanooga and Frisco.

The argument for keeping it in Chattanooga seems to be (1) Let them continue to build what they have started (2) Keeps it closer to two of the conferences (CAA & Southern) that have been represented frequently in the championship game. (3) Smaller city allows prominence to be given to the game/event.

The argument for moving it to Frisco seems to be (1) better flight options (2) good facility (3) football hotbed (4) pool of alums from FCS schools (5) get away from the East coast (6) $$$$ (dialect of the English language best comprehended by the NCAA)

Staying away from the negative lists, can something be added to why it should go to one of these locations?

danefan
October 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Dallas is also served by low cost carriers Frontier Airlines, AirTran Airways and Alaska/Horizon Air. These airlines will cover many areas that Southwest does not offer service.

In the world of AGS, the selection process (discussion) has become a two-horse race between Chattanooga and Frisco.

The argument for keeping it in Chattanooga seems to be (1) Let them continue to build what they have started (2) Keeps it closer to two of the conferences (CAA & Southern) that have been represented frequently in the championship game. (3) Smaller city allows prominence to be given to the game/event.

The argument for moving it to Frisco seems to be (1) better flight options (2) good facility (3) football hotbed (4) pool of alums from FCS schools (5) get away from the East coast (6) $$$$ (dialect of the English language best comprehended by the NCAA)

Staying away from the negative lists, can something be added to why it should go to one of these locations?

2 pluses for Texas:

1. Weather in January.
Average temps for Frisco: High 55/ Low 40

Average temps for Chatty: High 46/Low 30

2. Destination appeal
Dallas is considered more of a destination city than Chatty.

89Hen
October 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't necessarily give the nod to Frisco on that. Stadium is obviously newer, but Chatty's facility is good too. xpeacex

I think weather may be a slight nod to Frisco.

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
What about playoffs?

Just championships.

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM

Currently Nooga fits that bill. Sorry UTC fansxpeacex.

gophoenix
October 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM

Frontier flies even less east coast and Southern cities than Southwest does.

Airtrain does serve some areas, but barely serves the south and southwest anymore.

Niether are good options either.

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM

Airtrain does serve some areas, but barely serves the south and southwest anymore.

Atlanta is the airTran main hub.

Native
October 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM

Atlanta is 120 miles from Chattanooga.

Frisco is less than 30 miles from Love Field in Dalls and Dallas-Fort Worth.

FUPaladins
October 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM

I understand what you're saying, but I was pointing out that teams in the east and southeast are stronger than teams in Texas. FCS perennial powers are usually east of the Mississippi. As a matter of fact, the closest team to Frisco, TX to ever win an FCS or I-AA championship was Northeast Louisiana, currently known as Louisiana- Monroe and in the FBS. Also, you may like to know that it is 350 miles from Frisco. Obviously, Chattanooga would be a more reasonable place to hold the games. See my logic yet? xthumbsupx

SFA 71
October 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
I understand what you're saying, but I was pointing out that teams in the east and southeast are stronger than teams in Texas. FCS perennial powers are usually east of the Mississippi. As a matter of fact, the closest team to Frisco, TX to ever win an FCS or I-AA championship was Northeast Louisiana, currently known as Louisiana- Monroe and in the FBS. Also, you may like to know that it is 350 miles from Frisco. Obviously, Chattanooga would be a more reasonable place to hold the games. See my logic yet? xthumbsupx

I don't see you logic but I do see your address. I've been to both Chattanooga & the Dallas/Fort Worth area several times. I know you're going to find a few more hotel rooms in Texas than in TN. Of course if all you care about is keeping the game in your own backyard..... who cares what's best, just make it easy for yourself ! I'm not driving or flying to TN in the middle of the winter, but, I might make that 7 hour drive to Dallas. Who cares about the south, west & midwest, let's make it convenient for the north & east.xbawlingx

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM

Not to nit pick but its 310 miles.

McNeese75
October 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't see you logic but I do see your address. I've been to both Chattanooga & the Dallas/Fort Worth area several times. I know you're going to find a few more hotel rooms in Texas than in TN. Of course if all you care about is keeping the game in your own backyard..... who cares what's best, just make it easy for yourself ! I'm not driving or flying to TN in the middle of the winter, but, I might make that 7 hour drive to Dallas. Who cares about the south, west & midwest, let's make it convenient for the north & east.xbawlingx

xrolleyesx If the Jacks are in the BIG GAME, you will be there xnodx

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Completely agree. The game shouldn't be in a suburban strip-mall wasteland (if that's what Frisco is). The event will lose a lot of energy by being in that type of environment.

Frisco is no wasteland. Its a relatively upscale area.

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
2 pluses for Texas:

1. Weather in January.
Average temps for Frisco: High 55/ Low 40

Average temps for Chatty: High 46/Low 30

2. Destination appeal

Plus Forth Worth. Stock Yards Historic District, Billy Bobs (largest honky tonk in the world, etc)

Keenan
October 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM

Frisco was named by Forbes magazine in 2007 as the 7th fastest growing suburb in the US. I went to Frisco back in 2005 for the MLS Cup Final (Sold Out) and had a great time. The only part was the pain in the ass drive from Dallas to Frisco (approx. 20-30 minutes) on that stupid toll road. Pizza Hut Park would be an execellent venue if the FCS chose to stage the Championship game there.

And please spare me the arguments that the NCAA mens soccer tournament wasn't supported there. NCAA mens soccer does not have the support that FCS football does unless you go to games at Creighton,UCSB,Maryland,UCLA.... you get my point. There is no doubt The Hut would be sold out if the FCS Championship game was held there.

The place is exploding! They just built a 6th high school and already have plans for a 7th. Four of those high school currently play at the 4A level and many football games are played at PHP.

Neutral site - Check
Major International Airport - Check

Here's hoping Frisco gets the game!!! xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
October 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM

What. Airtran barely serves the south? Catch a clue.

Airtran serves:
Atlanta (hub)
Austin
Charleston (SC)
Charlotte
Dalllas/Ft Worth
Fort Meyers
Houston Bush
Houston Hobby
Jacksonville (FL)
Key West
Knoxville
Lexington (KY)
Memphis
Miami
Nashville
New Orleans
Newport News (VA)
Norfolk
Orlando
Pensacola/Gulf Coast (FL)
Raleigh/Durham
Richmond (VA)
San Antonio
Sarasota/Brandenton (FL)
Tampa
DC (Dulles)
DC (Reagan
West Palm Beach (FL)
Williamsburg (VA)

That's 29 airports Airtran serves in the south (old confederate states) And I might have missed one or 2. Yet according to you, Airtran barely serves the South xrolleyesx

Hail Our Panthers
October 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I don't really care where that game is as long as it does not go to Montana or Washington. I would think that many of the fans on the east coast would agree.

FUPaladins
October 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Not to nit pick but its 310 miles.

I used Google maps so the distance may be different from your source... Or do you mean "as the crow flies?"

FUPaladins
October 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM

Athough I still favor Chattanooga, you're right.. Frisco is a very nice area. I saw the Dallas Stars practice there and was very impressed with the town.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm not driving or flying to TN in the middle of the winter, but, I might make that 7 hour drive to Dallas. Who cares about the south, west & midwest, let's make it convenient for the north & east.xbawlingx
You're catching on. xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 23rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
2. Destination appeal
xconfusedx By whom? I've never heard a person say they were going to visit Dallas (nor Chatty).

89Hen
October 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Frisco was named by Forbes magazine in 2007 as the 7th fastest growing suburb in the US.

And please spare me the arguments that the NCAA mens soccer tournament wasn't supported there. NCAA mens soccer does not have the support that FCS football does unless you go to games at Creighton,UCSB,Maryland,UCLA.... you get my point. There is no doubt The Hut would be sold out if the FCS Championship game was held there.
Credibility shot with that last wild claim. xnonono2x

and "fastest growing" has more to do with the fact that it was nothing prior to the growth.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Ok,

We're only 3 hours from Southwest, Montana is 3-4 to Spokane, not sure on Furman or GSU

McNeese75
October 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I used Google maps so the distance may be different from your source... Or do you mean "as the crow flies?"

xeyebrowx Well I used Mapquest for the distance between the cities but who knows, mabye they measure by Crow xlolx

Total Travel Estimates: 4 hours 54 minutes / 309.79 miles

MplsBison
October 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Southwest flies from Mpls to Chicago and Denver, AFAIK.

American does straight shots from Mpls to Dallas, though.

danefan
October 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
xconfusedx By whom? I've never heard a person say they were going to visit Dallas (nor Chatty).

My point was if you had a choice of going to Dallas or Chatty for a weekend, I'm pretty sure more than 50% would chose Dallas.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
My point was if you had a choice of going to Dallas or Chatty for a weekend, I'm pretty sure more than 50% would chose Dallas.
Sophie's Choice?

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM

Would I be able to opt for neither and just stay at home and watch a movie?? :p

danefan
October 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Sophie's Choice?
Of course. xthumbsupx

But I visit Dallas a few times a year because I have family outside there. I love it in Dallas. I've been trying to talk my wife into moving for a solid year now, to no avail.

GannonFan
October 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Of course. xthumbsupx

But I visit Dallas a few times a year because I have family outside there. I love it in Dallas. I've been trying to talk my wife into moving for a solid year now, to no avail.

The only thing really bad about Dallas - all the darn cowboy fans. xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

I know where Airtran's hub is. They also focus in ORF and BWI.

Again, it doesn't matter if Airtrain doesn't serve the main areas where the fans would come from. So, an Airtran hub being near Chatty doesn't help chatty since Airtran doesn't serve many areas where our teams are.

gophoenix
October 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

Airtran serves:
Atlanta (hub)
Austin
Charleston (SC)
Charlotte
Dalllas/Ft Worth
Fort Meyers
Houston Bush
Houston Hobby
Jacksonville (FL)
Key West
Knoxville
Lexington (KY)
Memphis
Miami
Nashville
New Orleans
Newport News (VA)
Norfolk
Orlando
Raleigh/Durham
Richmond (VA)
San Antonio
Sarasota/Brandenton (FL)
Tampa
DC (Dulles)
DC (Reagan
West Palm Beach (FL)
Williamsburg (VA)

That's 29 airports Airtran serves in the south (old confederate states) And I might have missed one or 2. Yet according to you, Airtran barely serves the South xrolleyesx

Catch a clue? Seriously, how about looking at the airline's website and route map instead of wikipedia.

Airtrain dropped Charleston and Charleston and are in the process of dropping Newport news or Richmond. They are also dropping Dulles since they are picking up gates at Reagan.

And your list shows "areas served" not ariport served. In other words, Williamsburg and Newport News are the same bloody airport. They serve Hobby, not Bush in Houston. So, no, not all of those are airports served.

They serve 10 airports with daily service in the South from Arkansas, to Lousianna, to South Georgia, to Virginia to Kentucky.

Waco Kid
October 23rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I just don't see where Frisco has some great advantage over Chatty. The people in Tennessee have spent years getting the locals involved, getting the city updated, and providing a good experience for the schools attending the game. The stadium is nice (minus the speaker system) and large enough for most games played there. While the airport is lacking somewhat plenty of fans can actually drive to the game. In our three trips to the NC Game we saw plenty of fans from UD, UMASS, and even UNI that drove. They are all on the edge of driving distance, but there are plenty of teams much closer than them.

Now I don't think Chatty is the best city in the world or anything like that, but I am there for a football game and the events that surround it. I could careless about what museums they have or how many parks they have in the area. I want a place that has some good places to hang out the night or two before the game and then a nice place to watch the game. Why do we need to have some mega city like Dallas close by to enjoy a trip to the NC Game? I'd like to see how many days most people spend in the host city for the game. I'd bet 2 nights is the average for almost all of them. Chatty has plenty of good spots in downtown to spend the night before with your fellow fans and then a pretty good setup for tailagting the day of.

It just seems like the folks west of the Mississippi feel like if they should have to fly then everyone else should have to do the same. Moving the game to Frisco just forces more fans to travel longer distances. If a fan from say Montana has to get on a plane to see the game anyway why do they care if it takes 4 hours instead of 3??? The game needs to be in a place that gives fans from the greatest number of teams a chance to drive to the game. So far Chatty is the only city to put in a bid that fits that mold.

bkrownd
October 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM

Are you having some sort of problem with Creighton?

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I just don't see where Frisco has some great advantage over Chatty. The people in Tennessee have spent years getting the locals involved, getting the city updated, and providing a good experience for the schools attending the game. The stadium is nice (minus the speaker system) and large enough for most games played there. While the airport is lacking somewhat plenty of fans can actually drive to the game. In our three trips to the NC Game we saw plenty of fans from UD, UMASS, and even UNI that drove. They are all on the edge of driving distance, but there are plenty of teams much closer than them.

Now I don't think Chatty is the best city in the world or anything like that, but I am there for a football game and the events that surround it. I could careless about what museums they have or how many parks they have in the area. I want a place that has some good places to hang out the night or two before the game and then a nice place to watch the game. Why do we need to have some mega city like Dallas close by to enjoy a trip to the NC Game? I'd like to see how many days most people spend in the host city for the game. I'd bet 2 nights is the average for almost all of them. Chatty has plenty of good spots in downtown to spend the night before with your fellow fans and then a pretty good setup for tailagting the day of.

It just seems like the folks west of the Mississippi feel like if they should have to fly then everyone else should have to do the same. Moving the game to Frisco just forces more fans to travel longer distances. If a fan from say Montana has to get on a plane to see the game anyway why do they care if it takes 4 hours instead of 3??? The game needs to be in a place that gives fans from the greatest number of teams a chance to drive to the game. So far Chatty is the only city to put in a bid that fits that mold.

I don't think anyone cares how long it takes but it easier to fly into a major airport and it is also CHEAPER. If the game is in Dallas I save $120, which is a difference that adds up quickly if you are talking your family to the game as well.

Move that game further east for all I care, Orlando would be great.

fltheadgriz
October 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
First post here so be kind.
Here is a thought and I know that there is more than meets the eye for the championship sight but just think of this with an open mind.
What if the previous year's champion hosts the championship game?
So last football year Appalachian State would have hosted and Richmond vs. Montana would have played.
This year Richmond hosts.
Just think - instead of a neutral site, the champion has to go into the previous champions house and win in order to get the championship.
Yes I know that there are many places that couldn't host a championship site and there are places that become ineligible the next year, so then the second place team would be able to host.
Could be interesting

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Here is a thought and I know that there is more than meets the eye for the championship sight but just think of this with an open mind.
So last football year Appalachian State would have hosted and Richmond vs. Montana would have played.
Just think - instead of a neutral site, the champion has to go into the previous champions house and win in order to get the championship.
Yes I know that there are many places that couldn't host a championship site and there are places that become ineligible the next year, so then the second place team would be able to host.
Could be interesting

Welcome aboard fltheadgriz!

I can't see this ever being an option. It takes a serious financial and staff commitment to put on a championship week. Good try though! xthumbsupxxwhistlex

CamelCityAppFan
October 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Could be interesting

That's kind of a cool idea, and the most original one I've read as this debate rears it's ugly head mid-season every year.

The reality is that facilities vary so greatly from team to team that the NCAA would be taking a great risk with that kind of a setup. Boone has the stadium size but probably not the hotel space for the championship; Richmond probably has the hotel rooms but perhaps not the stadium size.

From the NCAA perspective, a consistent neutral site with overall good facilities and ammenities are what they are looking for.

fltheadgriz
October 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah I understand from the NCAA perspective it is about money, facilities and ammenities.
From a fan's perspective this could be a huge thing for the city that hosts it each year.
Plus going into the previous champions lair to get the trophy would be huge for a team.

Rekdiver
October 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
What the hell is wrong with a warm weather site???????? Florida or Soutnern California would be fine with me!!!!! Chatty in january could be brutal! they don't play the FBS championship in a cold weather place why should we settle!

Also a bigger town would be easier to get to........I can drive to Chatty from charlotte for 5.5 hours or fly for $500 or I can fly anywhere to California or Florida for less........Give me a reason to take some family and make a vacation out of it rather than a "guys" road trip. An aquarium and some civil war battlefield just ain't enough.

And Texas, for heaven's sake that's when the ice storm whip around there.........

Would someone please get a clue?

SumItUp
October 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
What the hell is wrong with a warm weather site???????? Florida or Soutnern California would be fine with me!!!!! Chatty in january could be brutal! they don't play the FBS championship in a cold weather place why should we settle!

Also a bigger town would be easier to get to........I can drive to Chatty from charlotte for 5.5 hours or fly for $500 or I can fly anywhere to California or Florida for less........Give me a reason to take some family and make a vacation out of it rather than a "guys" road trip. An aquarium and some civil war battlefield just ain't enough.

And Texas, for heaven's sake that's when the ice storm whip around there.........

Would someone please get a clue?

San Diego, San Antonio or Miami would each get my vote! xthumbsupx

downbythebeach
October 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Loretto, Pennsylvania

89Hen
October 27th, 2009, 12:08 PM
San Diego, San Antonio or Miami would each get my vote! xthumbsupx
Wha? xconfusedx

MplsBison
October 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
89, face it, you're the only non-Chatty resident who claims he wants the game to remain in backwater, mountain-town Chattanooga, Tennessee.

And I don't even believe you, I think you're just arguing that to argue.

SumItUp
October 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Wha? xconfusedx

That was in response to a suggestion of having a warm weather location for the championship.

bostonspider
October 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I want it where lots of people CAN drive to it relatively easily, if Chatty is the only city bidding that allows for that, than I am all for Chatty too. Every UR fan I have spoken to that attended had nothing but good things to say about their experience.

ur2k
October 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I want it where lots of people CAN drive to it relatively easily, if Chatty is the only city bidding that allows for that, than I am all for Chatty too. Every UR fan I have spoken to that attended had nothing but good things to say about their experience.

Exactly what he said xthumbsupx

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
89, face it, you're the only non-Chatty resident who claims he wants the game to remain in backwater, mountain-town Chattanooga, Tennessee.

You're probably right. Then again. xrolleyesx

Chattanooga was a good experience, and should be near the top of the mix again xnodx

I don't want to have to go all the way to TX in 2010 and 2011 to watch Georgia Southern woop up on someone. Chatty is alot easier.

I like Chatty. They've gone all in towards committing to the game-- the University, the town, the local businesses, the community. They've been great hosts and the facility is the perfect size. They have the logos of each school that's won the championship there on the press box as permanent fixtures. I think that kind of dedication should be rewarded. I don't think the loacation of the game is "broken", so there is no need to fix it.

Keep it in 'Nooga.

Went to Chattanooga in 2002 and I had a great time!

Don't kill the momentum.

"Chattanooga" has become synonymous with "Championship game." Keep it in Chatty forever and ever amen.

Chatty has EARNED the right to keep both the championship game and the awards banquet that precedes it. The ONLY problem Chatty has ever had was the condition of the playing surface (see 2000 & 2004) but with the installation of field turf that has been rectified.

I would actually support keeping it in Chatty to build the mystique of FCS football, we play for OUR national championship. Build up the FCS title game in its current location. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Short answer to a long thread: rotate it annually among 5-6 contenders, just like the Final Four.

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Short answer to a long thread: rotate it annually among 5-6 contenders, just like the Final Four.
So it builds no local excitement and you have less of a chance to have close by teams.

Fear the Bird
October 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM

I have had 2 great experiences in Chatty and think it's in a pretty reasonable location. Of course a major airport might be nice but I think part of the fun is the ability to drive for many schools that have been represented. I'm sure there are pure fans out west that would love to attend the NC game but what other fan bases that have played in Chatty have been truly disadvantaged by the location than Montana and maybe UNI? (Please leave the east coast bias barbs out and seriously discuss)

Panther88
October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Most of your comments regarding Chattanooga and Tennessee have been simply boorish, immature and offensive rantings, but the statement about the airports is factually incorrect.

Ok Mr. I'll_Note_The_"Boorish lol"_Comments. Where's the closest air strip that OFFERS JET service? Not the proppeller driven stuff you ppl there are accustomed to. lol xlolx

I'm sorry. Obviously I don't think too highly of your backwards state. :)

MplsBison
October 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have had 2 great experiences in Chatty and think it's in a pretty reasonable location. Of course a major airport might be nice but I think part of the fun is the ability to drive for many schools that have been represented. I'm sure there are pure fans out west that would love to attend the NC game but what other fan bases that have played in Chatty have been truly disadvantaged by the location than Montana and maybe UNI? (Please leave the east coast bias barbs out and seriously discuss)

Yeah people LOVE to drive 14 hours, not.

Dallas is the perfect location. Major hub airport, much better weather, major city (more hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc.), people love football in TX, etc. etc. etc.

I'll take that over backwater Tennesseee every day of the week.

Fear the Bird
October 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah people LOVE to drive 14 hours, not.

Dallas is the perfect location. Major hub airport, much better weather, major city (more hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc.), people love football in TX, etc. etc. etc.

You are right - most college students (the main fans) can afford to fly into Dallas instead of taking a 14 hour road trip they will remember the rest of their lives. Silly mexoopsx

I change my stance - the championship game should definately cater to those of us in the real world...

109GrizGuy
October 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Long thread! I read everyone's comments and I think I have a unique perspective on the NC game.

As a Griz fan, I attended the '96 game in Huntington. It was a (late booking) charter and the hotel accommodation stunk (we were next to a XXX adult store which is where I think the hotel got most of its clients). We arrived late, bussed to the stadium (passing a river/stream that looked like it was a toxic dump), watched the game and were immediately bussed to the airport. I saw nothing of the town and since we lost that year, I came away with a lousy impression of Huntington.

In 2000 and 2001, I attended the NC games in Chatty. These times, I flew in commercial and had a few days to experience the town. Chatty is nice. I like the downtown and the aquarium. Even though the Griz lost in 2000, both trips were worth the experience.

I moved to SC a couple of years back and drove (7 hours) over to Chatty in 2008. It was arrive Friday afternoon, attend the game, drag my butt back to the hotel (congrats Spiders) and then leave early Saturday AM.

The point I am trying to make is that even though I flew from Missoula to Chatty, spending some time experiencing the setting was great. Driving over just for the game seemed convenient but next time (hopefully), I'll book the hotel for 2+ nights. Most of the GSU, FU and UR fans that I met came only for that one night arriving an hour or two before the game and departing shortly thereafter (just like me last year). I wonder if they would have a similiar experience as mine in 2000/2001 if CAA/SoCon fans flew to Frisco (no experience or opinion on that town) and enjoyed the spectacle.

Chatty is a nice city and the facilities are great. I wouldn't necessarily change it just for the sake of change. Having said that, I would fly to wherever the Griz were playing in a NC game but I would always book for a couple of days to make sure I soaked it all in.

MplsBison
October 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You are right - most college students (the main fans) can afford to fly into Dallas instead of taking a 14 hour road trip they will remember the rest of their lives. Silly mexoopsx

I change my stance - the championship game should definately cater to those of us in the real world...

I want data. Sick of people throwing out these BS *opinions* and trying to pass them off as fact.

How many of the fans at each championship game since it has moved to Chatty are college students?

Then we'll see how full of it you are.

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Where did you stay in Chatty when you came for the game?

89Hen
October 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Obviously I don't think too highly of your backwards state. :)
More stupid comments that don't do anyone any good. xnonono2x

Edge316007
October 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Well, like it or not, many FCS teams (at least the contenders) ARE located on or near the East Coast so it would be smart to keep it on this side of the Mississippi. I really don't see what's wrong with keeping it in Chattanooga. I went to Chatty in 07 and aside from that wall being a terrible place to watch a game when it's 4-5 deep, I had no problems with anything.

skinny_uncle
October 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Are you having some sort of problem with Creighton?

I think we still have some "I H8 Cr8on" shirts around.
xsmiley_wix

Panther88
October 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
More stupid comments that don't do anyone any good. xnonono2x

Yes, @ least you're consistent, your statement adds negative zero value, as usual. xthumbsupx I've made my feelings known how I feel about "RockyTop" and it's lack of progression. BTW, do you ppl have concrete on major arteries other than IH40/IH65(?)? :D

Sorry if your stuff doesn't compare w/ stuff here. It's liken to comparing America to a 3rd world country. lol Deal w/ it. xbowx

MplsBison
October 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Where did you stay in Chatty when you came for the game?

What color car did you drive to Chatty last time you went?

bkrownd
October 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I think we still have some "I H8 Cr8on" shirts around.
xsmiley_wix

Dadgum Papists! This here's a Presbyterian state, and don't you forget it! (At least, that was the feeling in my neighborhood)

Grizo406
October 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'd love to walk 2 miles and see a National Championship game in Washington/Grizzly stadium, but I'd love it almost as much as flying to Chattanooga to see the game!

As a first timer, last season, the experience was far beyond anything I could have expected, despite the Griz loss!

The Chatty folks do it right!

Sincerely,

SECT 125
ROW 22
SEAT 7
Finley Stadium

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'd love to walk 2 miles and see a National Championship game in Washington/Grizzly stadium, but I'd love it almost as much as flying to Chattanooga to see the game!

As a first timer, last season, the experience was far beyond anything I could have expected, despite the Griz loss!

Sincerely,

SECT 125
ROW 22
SEAT 7
Finley Stadium

So then, would you conclude that it is impossible to have an even BETTER experience anywhere else in the world?

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
What color car did you drive to Chatty last time you went?
White. Answer the question.

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yes, @ least you're consistent, your statement adds negative zero value, as usual. xthumbsupx I've made my feelings known how I feel about "RockyTop" and it's lack of progression.
I've posted probably 30 comments on this topic. Some are about the facilities at Chatty. Some are about geography. Some are about NCAA championships in Frisco. etc... all you add is "Tennessee is a hickville" or similar. xnonono2x

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Chalk up another one who's been there and is not from there mpls.

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Ok Mr. I'll_Note_The_"Boorish lol"_Comments. Where's the closest air strip that OFFERS JET service? Not the proppeller driven stuff you ppl there are accustomed to. lol xlolx

I'm sorry. Obviously I don't think too highly of your backwards state. :)

Wow, pretty harsh statements for someone who clearly has limited knowledge of the area. Chatty doesn't have a huge airport that you must be used to having in your backyard, but Atlanta (you may have heard of it) has a moderate sized place that accomodates props and jets that's a short drive from Chatty. I'm sure why all the hatred directed at Chatty, because it's actually a pretty cool town that has embraced the NC weekend.

Exactly which metropolis that you hail from are you comparing this backwoods Chatty to if I may ask?

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
White. Answer the question.

Ah ha! I knew it!

Clearly driving a white car reveals your agenda.

Nice try!

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Chalk up another one who's been there and is not from there mpls.

So then, would you conclude that it is impossible to have an even BETTER experience anywhere else in the world?

Rekdiver
October 29th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I don't hate Chatty....In January I'd PREFER to be somewhere alot warmer.
Chatty is not a destination town. Chatty finally did a nice job but its time to take it up a level.

catdaddy2402
October 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Soccer is not.

Apples to oranges.

So explain why the highest average attendance this year in FCS from a Texas school is 23rd, behind two SC teams, two NC teams, a GA team......

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Ah ha! I knew it!

Clearly driving a white car reveals your agenda.

Nice try!
Your refusal to state that you've attended a National Chamionship game in Chattanooga after being asked several times can only lead me to believe you have never been to a National Chamionship game in Chattanooga. Is that correct? If so, your many posts about Chatty have to be taken with a grain of salt.

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Nope. Not at all. But nice attempt at getting from A to B and falling flat on your face. Change for the sake of change is not a good idea.

ur2k
October 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't hate Chatty....In January I'd PREFER to be somewhere alot warmer.
Chatty is not a destination town. Chatty finally did a nice job but its time to take it up a level.

This would be a good idea but there aren't many 'destination' cities bidding on this thing and don't tell me a suburb of Dallas in a destination city.

Panther88
October 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Wow, pretty harsh statements for someone who clearly has limited knowledge of the area. Chatty doesn't have a huge airport that you must be used to having in your backyard, but Atlanta (you may have heard of it) has a moderate sized place that accomodates props and jets that's a short drive from Chatty. I'm sure why all the hatred directed at Chatty, because it's actually a pretty cool town that has embraced the NC weekend.

Exactly which metropolis that you hail from are you comparing this backwoods Chatty to if I may ask?

Home#1 north of Houston is ~35 min drive (tollway) to Houston Bush (Intercontinental) and the home(#2) ironically just north of D/FW airport is ~32 min drive.

Both are large airports near large cities you may have heard of. Ironically, both airports have hubs for HQers for AAs/Continental (and throw in SouthWest for Love Field-Dallas). Wouldn't you agree? lol

Also, I saw where someone indicated that TX FCS schools are #23 or somewhere lower w/ regards to attendance. It's a given that Tx is indeed an FBS/High School football state but we FCSers have continued to thrive, regardless. Since they've thrown that out there, what is the current FCS attendance ranking of those schools in TN?

Right.xthumbsupx

Panther88
October 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I've posted probably 30 comments on this topic. Some are about the facilities at Chatty. Some are about geography. Some are about NCAA championships in Frisco. etc... all you add is "Tennessee is a hickville" or similar. xnonono2x

I've told you once before. I'm biased and only see the positive of bringing the NC game here. :) If you're comparing Frisco and all that area has to offer vs Chatt, I'm not understanding why one couldn't (wouldn't) note the far superior offeratory (I like that word :D) that Frisco has vs Chatt. Not to mention that it would only be a 20-22 min drive for me to get to the stadium. xlolx

GannonFan
October 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Home#1 north of Houston is ~35 min drive (tollway) to Houston Bush (Intercontinental) and the home(#2) ironically just north of D/FW airport is ~32 min drive.

Both are large airports near large cities you may have heard of. Ironically, both airports have hubs for HQers for AAs/Continental (and throw in SouthWest for Love Field-Dallas). Wouldn't you agree? lol

Also, I saw where someone indicated that TX FCS schools are #23 or somewhere lower w/ regards to attendance. It's a given that Tx is indeed an FBS/High School football state but we FCSers have continued to thrive, regardless. Since they've thrown that out there, what is the current FCS attendance ranking of those schools in TN?

Right.xthumbsupx

As we've seen, Chatty is real close to Appy St, so while not technically in the same state, Chatty does have the #1 or #2 FCS fanbase basically in its backyard (and I'm not even an Appy St guy).

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Here is the Chatty attendance history with the teams involved. Obviously, the App years were better attended to GF's point, but they still pull in a good crowd for mid-December despite the geographic location of the schools.

1997 Youngstown State McNeese State 10–9 Chattanooga, Tennessee 14,771
1998 Massachusetts Georgia Southern 55–43 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,501
1999 Georgia Southern Youngstown State 59–24 Chattanooga, Tennessee 20,052
2000 Georgia Southern Montana 27–25 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,156
2001 Montana Furman 13–6 Chattanooga, Tennessee 12,698
2002 Western Kentucky McNeese State 34–14 Chattanooga, Tennessee 12,360
2003 Delaware Colgate 40–0 Chattanooga, Tennessee 14,281
2004 James Madison Montana 31–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 16,771
2005 Appalachian State Northern Iowa 21–16 Chattanooga, Tennessee 20,236
2006 Appalachian State Massachusetts 28–17 Chattanooga, Tennessee 22,808
2007 Appalachian State Delaware 49–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 23,010
2008 Richmond Montana 24–7 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,823

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I've told you once before. I'm biased and only see the positive of bringing the NC game here. :)

Not to mention that it would only be a 20-22 min drive for me to get to the stadium. xlolx
So I guess you're saying you're biased. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
October 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Airtran serves:
Atlanta (hub)
Austin
Charleston (SC)
Charlotte
Dalllas/Ft Worth
Fort Meyers
Houston Bush
Houston Hobby
Jacksonville (FL)
Key West
Knoxville
Lexington (KY)
Memphis
Miami
Nashville
New Orleans
Newport News (VA)
Norfolk
Orlando
Raleigh/Durham
Richmond (VA)
San Antonio
Sarasota/Brandenton (FL)
Tampa
DC (Dulles)
DC (Reagan
West Palm Beach (FL)
Williamsburg (VA)

Catch a clue? Seriously, how about looking at the airline's website and route map instead of wikipedia.

Airtrain dropped Charleston and Charleston and are in the process of dropping Newport news or Richmond. They are also dropping Dulles since they are picking up gates at Reagan.

And your list shows "areas served" not ariport served. In other words, Williamsburg and Newport News are the same bloody airport. They serve Hobby, not Bush in Houston. So, no, not all of those are airports served.

They serve 10 airports with daily service in the South from Arkansas, to Lousianna, to South Georgia, to Virginia to Kentucky.

I WAS GOING OFF AIRTRAN's WEBSITE, not wiki. You can still book flights for both Charlestons, and Richmond. As far as Houston, you can book flights for BOTH Hobby and Bush.
http://www.airtran.com/Home.aspx

So again, my response to you saying, "Airtran barely serves the south" is catch a clue.

MR. CHICKEN
October 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=ASUG8;1448929]Here is the Chatty attendance history with the teams involved. Obviously, the App years were better attended to GF's point, but they still pull in a good crowd for mid-December despite the geographic location of the schools.

1998 Massachusetts Georgia Southern 55–43 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,501
1999 Georgia Southern Youngstown State 59–24 Chattanooga, Tennessee 20,052
2000 Georgia Southern Montana 27–25 Chattanooga, Tennessee 17,156
2005 Appalachian State Northern Iowa 21–16 Chattanooga, Tennessee 20,236
2006 Appalachian State Massachusetts 28–17 Chattanooga, Tennessee 22,808
2007 Appalachian State Delaware 49–21 Chattanooga, Tennessee 23,010

AN' IFIN' DERE WAS TICKETS...(HEAR ME EDGAR)....AN' ROOM.......AH'M GUESSIN' 35K...O' MO'.........AH SAY SON..35K +........xnodx.......BRAWK!!

FLACCO'S WHACKOS...WOODAH COME OUTTAH DUH WOODWORK...DOODLES!

89Hen
October 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
AN' IFIN' DERE WAS TICKETS...(HEAR ME EDGAR)....AN' ROOM.......AH'M GUESSIN' 35K...O' MO'.........AH SAY SON..35K +........xnodx.......BRAWK!!
While I would love to agree, I cannot. I don't know of any Hen fans that were really shutout, even with the ticket blunder. There may have been more App fans in attendance, but I don't think there's any way it would have topped 30k. xpeacex

Panther88
October 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
So I guess you're saying you're biased. xsmiley_wix

Overly.

Now do the right thing and help P88 save gas.

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
So explain why the highest average attendance this year in FCS from a Texas school is 23rd, behind two SC teams, two NC teams, a GA team......

Because the Texas FBS schools play on the same day.

How many Texas FBS schools will be playing on the day the FCS championship game is played?

There will be plenty of people who show up that are not fans of Texas FCS schools.

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Your refusal to state that you've attended a National Chamionship game in Chattanooga after being asked several times can only lead me to believe you have never been to a National Chamionship game in Chattanooga. Is that correct? If so, your many posts about Chatty have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Your refusal to admit that driving a white car to Chatty shows you clearly have an agenda can only lead me to believe your many posts about Chatty have to be taken with a grain of salt.

(are you getting the point here? I'm showing you how completely arbitrary and non-sequitor your line of questioning is)

MplsBison
October 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Nope. Not at all. But nice attempt at getting from A to B and falling flat on your face. Change for the sake of change is not a good idea.

Change for the sake of improving the FCS championship game experience IS a good idea.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Here is the Chatty attendance history with the teams involved. Obviously, the App years were better attended to GF's point, but they still pull in a good crowd for mid-December despite the geographic location of the schools.

These games are the issue, although it's worth mentioning that in 4 years the attendance difference between the 04 and 08 Montana games went way up. I would assume some of that is local.

I went to Chatty in 05. Had an ok time. We stayed at the team hotel and felt like the area wasn't that great. We found one place to eat within walking distance.
I'm sure it's better now and I would probably be better prepared for the trip.

No matter where the game goes it will be a pain for UNI fans, so I don't have any agenda in that regard, but I sure would rather go somewhere warmer, even if it's a longer drive or having to fly.

JohnStOnge
October 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
The last 12 NC games featured at least one SoCon or CAA team, and a couple years featured two. I'm sure there will be a years when there's not one but it's hard to ignore history and odds. xpeacex

I think the basic point is valid but the statement is not entirely accurate. Two of the past 12 title games, 1997 and 2002, featured the Gateway (now MVC) vs. the Southland.

ASUG8
October 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
These games are the issue, although it's worth mentioning that in 4 years the attendance difference between the 04 and 08 Montana games went way up. I would assume some of that is local.

I went to Chatty in 05. Had an ok time. We stayed at the team hotel and felt like the area wasn't that great. We found one place to eat within walking distance.
I'm sure it's better now and I would probably be better prepared for the trip.

No matter where the game goes it will be a pain for UNI fans, so I don't have any agenda in that regard, but I sure would rather go somewhere warmer, even if it's a longer drive or having to fly.

What's your suggestion? I like the neutral site idea vs. the pre-Chatty days, but not to beat a dead horse the concentration of schools is East of the Mississippi is obviously higher, and the Mocs won't be getting a NC anytime really soon (no offense) so Chatty seems to be a reasonably central location, and not a terribly cold environment. If we chose a Florida trip it's bad for most everyone, and Texas helps Panther88 xsmiley_wix. I'm not sure how Chatty landed it in the first place, but they've done a commendable job IMO.

Grizo406
October 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM

No.

UNH Fanboi
October 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
For the sake of discussion, here are the driving distances to Chatty according to google maps of the current top teams:

Jacksonville St. 2:15
App. St - 4:45
SIU - 5:30
SC State - 5:45
Elon - 6:30
E. Illinois 7:15
JMU - 7:15
Richmond - 8:30
W&M - 9:15
Delaware - 10:45
Villanova - 11:15
UNI - fly
Montana - fly
UNH - fly
UMass - fly
SDSU - fly
SF Austin - fly
N. Arizona - fly
Weber - fly
Cal Poly - fly
E Wash - fly

So half of the teams aren't within driving distance. Of the teams that are within driving distance, most of them (especially the top 10 teams) are not all that close. Moreover, I think the January date may be less conducive to students taking a long road trip together because many of them will still be home for winter break at the time of the game.

Skjellyfetti
October 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Every single UMASS fan I met in 2006 drove. Doesn't mean most did... but, I think quite a lot did.

UNH Fanboi
October 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Every single UMASS fan I met in 2006 drove. Doesn't mean most did... but, I think quite a lot did.

Yeah, UNH, UMass, SF Austin and UNI are technically drivable, but those are long ass drives. I guess the point is that Chatty isn't all that convenient for the majority of schools.

Maybe I'm too far out of college, but I'll take a $200 flight to Dallas over an 8 to 12-hour drive any day. That's an even longer drive back if you lose....

89Hen
October 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Your refusal to admit that driving a white car to Chatty shows you clearly have an agenda can only lead me to believe your many posts about Chatty have to be taken with a grain of salt.

(are you getting the point here? I'm showing you how completely arbitrary and non-sequitor your line of questioning is)
Thinking that people that have never been to Chatty for the game have a less informed opinion is irrelevant? xlolx xnutsx

Like I've said a hundred times on this site... "Why take the word of all the people that have been there?" xrolleyesx

I did a poll here a couple years ago asking about Chatty. The answers separated those that had been to Chatty and those that hadn't and an OVERWHELMING majority of people who had be to the NC game in Chatty were in favor of Chatty. The biggest opposition came from people who had never been (but even then, it was split).

89Hen
October 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Change for the sake of improving the FCS championship game experience IS a good idea.
Then present some valid points.

89Hen
October 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
For the sake of discussion, here are the driving distances to Chatty according to google maps of the current top teams:
And now to Frisco....

Jacksonville St. fly
App. St - fly
SIU - fly
SC State - fly
Elon - fly
E. Illinois fly
JMU - fly
Richmond - fly
W&M - fly
Delaware - fly
Villanova - fly
UNI - fly
Montana - fly
UNH - fly
UMass - fly
SDSU - fly
SF Austin - DRIVE
N. Arizona - fly
Weber - fly
Cal Poly - fly
E Wash - fly

So let's just hope SFA is in the finals in 2010.

813Jag
October 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
What's your suggestion? I like the neutral site idea vs. the pre-Chatty days, but not to beat a dead horse the concentration of schools is East of the Mississippi is obviously higher, and the Mocs won't be getting a NC anytime really soon (no offense) so Chatty seems to be a reasonably central location, and not a terribly cold environment. If we chose a Florida trip it's bad for most everyone, and Texas helps Panther88 xsmiley_wix. I'm not sure how Chatty landed it in the first place, but they've done a commendable job IMO.
everybody but me. xlolx

ASUG8
October 30th, 2009, 08:35 AM
everybody but me. xlolx

I was thinking of you when I put in the word "most". :D

BTW, I tried to call you last night, but got crickets.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 09:55 AM
No.

And I expect the same from every honest person who has traveled to Chatty to go to the game. As you say, there could in fact be somewhere else where the experience might be even better than Chatty!

Thus, rendering the line of reasoning "if people who have been there say it's the best NC game experience they've ever had, then Chatty is the best place for the NC game" invalid.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thinking that people that have never been to Chatty for the game have a less informed opinion is irrelevant? xlolx xnutsx

Like I've said a hundred times on this site... "Why take the word of all the people that have been there?" xrolleyesx

I did a poll here a couple years ago asking about Chatty. The answers separated those that had been to Chatty and those that hadn't and an OVERWHELMING majority of people who had be to the NC game in Chatty were in favor of Chatty. The biggest opposition came from people who had never been (but even then, it was split).

You still don't get it.

Let me try to break it down for you: if the reason that people approve of Chatty is because they had a good experience there, then how can all those people possible disapprove of a place where they have not experienced the NC game?

How can anyone who has never been to Frisco for a FCS national championship game disapprove of that place, if they have never been there?

You're trying to use the same line of reason to discredit me. It's a double edged sword.

The only way we'll ever really know if Frisco is better than Chatty is to give Frisco the game for a few years and check it out.

That should be done. For the sake of making the game the best it can be.

Hey, if it turns out that Frisco isn't really that great, then give the game back to Chatty. We won't have lost anything.

ASUG8
October 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
You still don't get it.

Let me try to break it down for you: if the reason that people approve of Chatty is because they had a good experience there, then how can all those people possible disapprove of a place where they have not experienced the NC game?

How can anyone who has never been to Frisco for a FCS national championship game disapprove of that place, if they have never been there?

You're trying to use the same line of reason to discredit me. It's a double edged sword.

The only way we'll ever really know if Frisco is better than Chatty is to give Frisco the game for a few years and check it out.

That should be done. For the sake of making the game the best it can be.

Hey, if it turns out that Frisco isn't really that great, then give the game back to Chatty. We won't have lost anything.

So, if I'm following correctly, we should look at a series of favorable outcomes (a trend, if you will), then do something completely different with no guarantee of an equally successful outcome? I'd stick with the current trendline, but that's just me.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
So, if I'm following correctly, we should look at a series of favorable outcomes (a trend, if you will), then do something completely different with no guarantee of an equally successful outcome? I'd stick with the current trendline, but that's just me.

If we stuck with that line of reasoning, we'd still be burning wood in our homes for heat.

Why try to do anything better than what we're doing now, if it works?

I for one, am for trying to improve our situation continuously.

ASUG8
October 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
If we stuck with that line of reasoning, we'd still be burning wood in our homes for heat.

Why try to do anything better than what we're doing now, if it works?

I for one, am for trying to improve our situation continuously.

I appreciate the Kaizen effort, but it ain't broken.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I appreciate the Kaizen effort, but it ain't broken.

Just because it "aint broken" doesn't mean we should not try to improve it.

ASUG8
October 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Just because it "aint broken" doesn't mean we should not try to improve it.

Troubleshoot it for me - show me what's seriously lacking from the experience, determine whether they are marginal or major issues, and propose some viable alternatives.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Troubleshoot it for me - show me what's seriously lacking from the experience, determine whether they are marginal or major issues, and propose some viable alternatives.

You were the one who just pointed it that it "ain't broken". Why would I bother trying to prove otherwise when the entire point is that we can still improve it, even if it "aint broken"?

Frisco is the viable alternative.

bostonspider
October 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
You were the one who just pointed it that it "ain't broken". Why would I bother trying to prove otherwise when the entire point is that we can still improve it, even if it "aint broken"?

But is it a BETTER alternative? It certainly never hurts to put the game out for bid every 3-5 years or so to see if there is a better alternative. But, if there isn't then stay in Chattanooga. I have nto seen the presentations, nor have I been to either city / stadium, so I will leave that up to the experts (NCAA) to decide. But moving it just for the sake of moving seems no better than keeping it in Chatty for the sake of keeping it...

ASUG8
October 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I don't think it's broken, but you want to improve the experience. You're telling me it can be improved, which implies that you've identified certain things that are not optimum. I'm simply asking for your input on what those items are and what your alternative would do to remedy that. Pretty simple query.

Rekdiver
October 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Not Optimum: WEATHER
Not Optimum: Stadium facilities
Not Optimum: enough tailgating space next to stadium
Not Optimum: National accessibility
Not Optimum: Area attractions
Not Optimum: Airport and airline accessibility
Not Optimum: women (had to throw that in)

Now I enjoyed all three of my trips there because all my friends were there, plenty of booze and that my school was in a championhsip BUT my experience could have been better.
Anyone who says that the FCS would not benefit from a change to a major market town is dellusional.

Watch what happens with the change of the SoCon basketball tournament to Charlotte this year. Again Chatty in January is bad enough but March?

Apps03
October 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Not Optimum: WEATHER
Not Optimum: Stadium facilities
Not Optimum: enough tailgating space next to stadium
Not Optimum: National accessibility
Not Optimum: Area attractions
Not Optimum: Airport and airline accessibility
Not Optimum: women (had to throw that in)

Now I enjoyed all three of my trips there because all my friends were there, plenty of booze and that my school was in a championhsip BUT my experience could have been better.
Anyone who says that the FCS would not benefit from a change to a major market town is dellusional.

Watch what happens with the change of the SoCon basketball tournament to Charlotte this year. Again Chatty in January is bad enough but March?

IMO, your first 3 are all reasons it should stay in Chatt. The weather is going to have a chance to be bad in almost all locations (I wore a t-shirt 2 of the 3 years). I think the stadium facilities are great. What would you want changed/different (other than the PA system) and there is so much parking/tailgating space there I'm not even sure what to say about that.

MplsBison
October 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I don't think it's broken, but you want to improve the experience. You're telling me it can be improved, which implies that you've identified certain things that are not optimum. I'm simply asking for your input on what those items are and what your alternative would do to remedy that. Pretty simple query.

No I have not identified anything about Chatty that is not optimum.

Even if a characteristic of the NC game in Chatty is at the optimum condition for that setting, it may be improved upon by moving to a different location.

bluehenbillk
October 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Rekdiver good post. Most major championships do rotate or move around, the BCS, the Super Bowl, March Madness, most NCAA championships, except CWS and D2 and D3 football.

Fans deserve the opportunity to get the best experience from the NC game. I know most SoCon fans don't want to see it move but to be honest the NC has never drawn a huge crowd in Chatty when 2 non-SoCon teams squared off.

People can argue both sides of the fence until the cows come home. From what I've read and heard Frisco looks like they will outbid all others in terms of money, especially if they secure the corporate backing that has been mentioned.

Personally, I worry more about the timing of the game making it less significant rather than the location.