PDA

View Full Version : The Oldest Rivalry in the SoCon

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Before everyone gets to excited about being Whited out or whether ASU is wearing Gold Jerseys, I refused to look ahead.

I suppose some could argue that the Wofford Furman series is older since we played the first college game in SC back in 89(?) 1800s that is. But the little dogs are still new to the SoCon (in relative terms). This has been an interesting rivalry complete with horse murders and a surprise greeting for a group of knobs on their way to paint Furman's campus after being interupted by a state trooper with Paladin ties who passed the word along to Dr Bonner of the impending visit.

This game used to end the season for both teams until Charlie Taffe single handedly ruined the rivalry by changing the game to the middle of the year. Of course he was helped by the Paladins domination of the Citadel since the 80sxsmiley_wix

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/furm/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

In a series that got its start in 1913 and now stands as the Southern Conference’s longest
running active rivalry, Furman holds a commanding 55-30-3 advantage over The Citadel. The
Paladins won last year in Greenville, 34-20, to avenge a 54-51 overtime loss to the Bulldogs in
Charleston in 2007. Despite the split the last two years, Furman has claimed eight of the last 10
games and is 22-8 (.733) versus The Citadel since 1978. In Charleston the Paladins have compiled
a 22-18-2 mark, having dropped two of their last three clashes with the Bulldogs.

PaladinNation
October 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Don't remember the exact details but I think Taffe's head exploded after the game where Citadel won the toss kicked off to Furman, then a Cadet elected to kickoff to Furman again to start the second half… I remember we were all confused. After that Taffe went on a rampage how it shouldn't be the end of the season game and listed all kinds of reasons…

If Clemson and USC play the last Saturday of the regular season, so should Furman and The Citadel.

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Don't remember the exact details but I think Taffe's head exploded after the game where Citadel won the toss kicked off to Furman, then a Cadet elected to kickoff to Furman again to start the second half… I remember we were all confused. After that Taffe went on a rampage how it shouldn't be the end of the season game and listed all kinds of reasons…

If Clemson and USC play the last Saturday of the regular season, so should Furman and The Citadel.

According to citdog, Taffe changed it because he didn't want the Furman game right before the playoffs started. He was more than a little bit optimistic or maybe he thought Furman needed a tougher warm up for the playoff seasonxsmiley_wix

terrierbob
October 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
According to citdog, Taffe changed it because he didn't want the Furman game right before the playoffs started. He was more than a little bit optimistic or maybe he thought Furman needed a tougher warm up for the playoff seasonxsmiley_wix

Hope y'all make it to the playoffs. When was the last time? 2006?

AshevilleApp2
October 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Before everyone gets to excited about being Whited out or whether ASU is wearing Gold Jerseys, I refused to look ahead.

I suppose some could argue that the Wofford Furman series is older since we played the first college game in SC back in 89(?) 1800s that is. But the little dogs are still new to the SoCon (in relative terms). This has been an interesting rivalry complete with horse murders and a surprise greeting for a group of knobs on their way to paint Furman's campus after being interupted by a state trooper with Paladin ties who passed the word along to Dr Bonner of the impending visit.

This game used to end the season for both teams until Charlie Taffe single handedly ruined the rivalry by changing the game to the middle of the year. Of course he was helped by the Paladins domination of the Citadel since the 80sxsmiley_wix

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/furm/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

Better not look ahead. That loss could kill your playoff chances.

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hope y'all make it to the playoffs. When was the last time? 2006?

Edited upon realization that one of the good guys ask the question.

Yep, 2006

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Isn't the first meeting between Furman and Wofford in 1889?

OL FU
October 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Isn't the first meeting between Furman and Wofford in 1889?

yeah that is what I said in the first post. The reason why this is the oldest SoCon rivalry is Wofford's wasn't a SoCon rival until 97 when they joined the conference.

Actually they weren't a rival until this year. Losing to a team two years in a row will do that for you:o

Go...gate
October 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Is Presbyterian College Wofford's oldest rival? I remember that in his autobiography (he did it in '89 with Mitch Albom and it is a great read) Bo Schembechler talked about his very positive experience coaching at Presbyterian in the 1950's and I think he said Wofford and Presbyterian were arch-rivals or something to that effect.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Is Presbyterian College Wofford's oldest rival? I remember that in his autobiography (he did it in '89 with Mitch Albom and it is a great read) Bo Schembechler talked about his very positive experience coaching at Presbyterian in the 1950's and I think he said Wofford and Presbyterian were arch-rivals or something to that effect.

I think your right....

CID1990
October 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM

OL FU should know...

He has been to all 88 games.

chattanoogamocs
October 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Another "new" old rivalry that is now a SoCon rivalry is Chattanooga and Samford.

The first game between the University of Chattanooga and Howard University was played in 1906.

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
OL FU should know...

He has been to all 88 games.

I missed the first two:(

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM

That is what I have heard since joining this board. I always thought PC and Newberry were the big rivals but I really didn't have any historicaly perspective. Maybe some Wofford or PC historians can shed some light on it.

ashram
October 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm cool with the App. State white-out, but not with the timing of the announcement. We don't need any distraction this week when all talk should be about the FU-Cit game. This is a huge game with a lot of history and a lot on the line for Furman. Still somehow unranked in the TSN poll, we could use a statement type victory at this point in the season. Furman needs to go to the lowcountry this weekend and show what we're capable of. Of course, I'll be happy getting out of there with any kind of win.

ashram
October 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
I hope Pat Conroy doesn't mind me quoting him, but this thread needs to be bumped back to the first page.

This is from My Losing Season:

The same year I arrived at The Citadel, a small band of cadets stole the Furman mascot, a high-strung and beautiful horse that cantered up and down the field during football games with a helmeted knight astride his lovely back. Though the cadets were successful in their abduction, their knowledge of horses proved haphazard and unlucky. The legend of this infamous encounter took on a life of its own. When I was a sophomore and on a bus heading to Greenville, my team captain Dick Martini explained to me why a Furman center had tried to decapitate me when I drove the lane: "We killed their horse, midget."

...I took Martini's memory of the death of the Paladin and added it to the history of a Citadel raid to paint the Furman campus a couple of years before the capture of the Paladin. A state trooper pulled up behind some carloads of cadets going 110 mph on I-26 and realized that he had stumbled onto a prank against his alma mater. Instead of pulling over the speeding cars tattooed with Citadel markings and stickers, the trooper simply radioed north, alerting the entire Furman campus to the danger of the approaching cadets.

When the cadets climbed a fence and made their way with paint buckets and brushes toward the center of the vast campus, they did not know of their betrayal until they noted the presence of a thousand Furman boys approaching them from the front and a thousand more approaching their flank. The beatings those Furman boys gave to those luckless cadets were still being talked about with awe in the barracks when I arrived there in 1963.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm cool with the App. State white-out, but not with the timing of the announcement. We don't need any distraction this week when all talk should be about the FU-Cit game. This is a huge game with a lot of history and a lot on the line for Furman. Still somehow unranked in the TSN poll, we could use a statement type victory at this point in the season. Furman needs to go to the lowcountry this weekend and show what we're capable of. Of course, I'll be happy getting out of there with any kind of win.

I don't care if it's the ugliest win in the history of the program. Getting out of Charleston with a victory will be precious no matter how bad the Cadets may be.

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
And from the Furman Magazine tribute to Dr. Frances Bonner:

No doubt respect turned to admiration for
many one night in the early 1960s, when Bonner
rallied the student community and coordinated
the defense of the campus against a raid from
Citadel cadets.
Mark Kellogg ’67 writes, “I will never forget
the rather staid and slightly aloof Dr. Bonner,
in shirt-sleeves and a tie, standing on the patio
outside Daniel Lounge, actually leading the
counter-insurgent defense of the campus when
Citadel cadets attempted to paint our brand new
Williamsburg brick baby blue!
“No one ever demonstrated greater concern
for alma mater than did Dr. Bonner that evening.
It was he who asked that cadets whom we had
captured be brought to him for discipline —
after we had shaved their heads and stripped
them to their underwear. It was Dr. Bonner
who encouraged us to shake the trees where
Cherrydale
stands today to ensure that no more
cadets were hiding where we had dislodged so
many earlier in the evening.
“And no one took more joy (except perhaps
Coach Bob King) when, during the halftime
performance of the Summerall Guards at
Johnson-Hagood Stadium in Charleston, one
guard’s plumed helmet blew off in the wind to
reveal a shaved head with the remnants of an
‘F’ tattooed with purple shoe polish.”

elcid83
October 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
A Furman grad driving a Highway Patrol cruiser - really? And they call us bellhops???

Seriously, that is a funny story. I have gotten to know Dr. Bonner's son who is now the President of Gardner-Webb University and I could seen him doing something like this if the opportunity presented itself.

Go Bulldogs!

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
A Furman grad driving a Highway Patrol cruiser - really? And they call us bellhops???

Seriously, that is a funny story. I have gotten to know Dr. Bonner's son who is now the President of Gardner-Webb University and I could seen him doing something like this if the opportunity presented itself.

Go Bulldogs!

Listen now, An education is what important.

Besides, one of my favorite posters CID90 is a cop ( or a former one) with a Citadel degree, so don't knock cops with good educations. We could use a few more of themxthumbsupx

PaladinNation
October 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
What a rivalry filled with stories… I will never forget as a teen watching from the hill at Sirrine Stadium the Paladin defense stopping Stump Mitchell during a tenacious goal-line stand.

elcid83
October 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
What a rivalry filled with stories… I will never forget as a teen watching from the hill at Sirrine Stadium the Paladin defense stopping Stump Mitchell during a tenacious goal-line stand.

Stump's real first name was Lavanya. His favorite cheer was "Lavanya. Lavanya. Don't let them boys get on ya!"

Go Bulldogs!

gobluehose1
October 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
That is what I have heard since joining this board. I always thought PC and Newberry were the big rivals but I really didn't have any historicaly perspective. Maybe some Wofford or PC historians can shed some light on it.

I have always been under the impression that Wofford and PC maintained a pretty competitive rivalry through the old "College Division," NAIA, and early D-II days. In the early-mid nineties Wofford decided to go D-IAA while PC elected to stay D-II....this effectively ended any real rivalry. There is some vintage Wofford PC footage on youtube that made its rounds on the PC board back in the Spring....by vintage I mean early 1980s

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have always been under the impression that Wofford and PC maintained a pretty competitive rivalry through the old "College Division," NAIA, and early D-II days. In the early-mid nineties Wofford decided to go D-IAA while PC elected to stay D-II....this effectively ended any real rivalry. There is some vintage Wofford PC footage on youtube that made its rounds on the PC board back in the Spring....by vintage I mean early 1980s

Thanks I knew there was a rivalry, but which one was bigger WC or Newberry. I assume after Wofford moved up it was Newberry but before that, do you know?

OL FU
October 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM

citdog swears he scored:)

Why does that not surprised mexlolx

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Stump's real first name was Lavanya. His favorite cheer was "Lavanya. Lavanya. Don't let them boys get on ya!"

Go Bulldogs!

Guess that explains why he went by "Stump"

The last few games in Charleston have been great.

furpal87
October 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Actually his first name was Lyvonia. Still would rather go by Stump.

AshevilleApp2
October 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Better not look ahead. That loss could kill your playoff chances.

xsmhx Now please don't kill ours. Please.

OL FU
October 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
xbawlingx

and Congratulations