PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #8 Picks (Oct 24th)

The Cats
October 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
It's a new week, and time to pick the Southern Conference week #8 winners for Saturday, Oct. 24th.... xthumbsupx

1:30 pm
Chattanooga @ Elon

2:00 pm
Furman @ The Citadel

3:00 pm
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State

5:00 pm
Wofford @ Western Carolina

Samford - open

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM
elon
furman
app
wofford

catamount man
October 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Elon
Furman
Appalachian State
Western Carolina

The Cats
October 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon

Furman @ The Citadel

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Looking forward to Black Saturday against GSU, throw away everything you about these two teams it just doesn't matter - game of the day.

Elon by 17, UTC has one of the better pass defenses in the SoCon, but they are unlikely to score more than 13 against the Elon D.

Furman by 13, this will tell me if Citadel is that much tougher in Charleston than on the road after the surprising results the last couple of weeks.

WC by 3, trap game for WC. Tough home loss to ASU yesterday, Elon coming to town next week. WCU should have some confidence going into the game, but WC finds a way to pull out the win late.

jus10asu
October 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Elon
Furman
App State
Wofford

jus10asu
October 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I hope we can finally play a full game this coming week. I want our guys to play with some passion like they did in the mid third and fourth quarter yesterday. I know we can be awesome but its like something has to light a fire under our butts in order to get some intensity this year instead of just coming out with it at the beginning. I mean come on...we scored in like 45 seconds on a drive yesterday and I had no doubt we could. This is a good team...I just wanna see 4 quarters of it.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Elon wins easily by 24

Furman grinds out another tough win on the road by 10

App beats GSU by a touchdown in a low scoring affair.

Wofford by 14.

asknoquarter21
October 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I agree 100%. We are awesome when we want to be, but it is like pulling teeth to get them to play hard and I don't get it.

kdinva
October 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Elon 38, UTC 18
Furman 24, The Citadel 16
App. St. 34; GSU 24
Wofford 30; WCU 23

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Elon wins easily by 24

Furman grinds out another tough win on the road by 10

App beats GSU by a touchdown in a low scoring affair.

Wofford by 14.

xeekx Winner scores 35+.

B&G
October 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon: Elon 34-17 (Mocs have a good pass defense... we think. Of course they haven't faced Riddle or Edwards yet either)

Furman @ The Citadel: Furman 26-20 (Many teams would throw in the towel but The Citadel has pride, dislike for Furman and a strong homefield advantage. It is still not enough but it will keep Paladin fans nervous for 60 minutes)

Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State: App State 41-35 OT (We all know to throw the records out the window with these two teams. ASU walks a thin line once again but the defense steps up when it has to in overtime much like versus The Citadel)

Wofford @ Western Carolina: Wofford 28-14 (Wofford will frustrate WCU by going 3-3 on fourth down. How is that for going out on a limb?)

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
All four games are going to be closer than the general consensus.

On GSU and ASU, I'm telling you, people are overestimating GSU's offense and underestimating our defense.

PhoenixSupreme
October 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon 47-13 (Elon's Homecoming btw...loss will not be tolerated by the team)
Furman @ The Citadel 21-17 (Citadel takes last week's embarrassing loss and uses it to their advantage.)
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State 38-20 (Appy keeps their eyes on the prize)
Wofford @ Western Carolina 28-16 (Woffy won't underestimate WCU after they beat El Cid)
Samford 0-0

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
xeekx Winner scores 35+.

I really don't think so. I don't see Georgia Southern scoring 35+ on any team. App State has faced one defense thus far comparable to the Eagle Defense (not as good, but comparable) and they scored 20.

Skjellyfetti
October 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
App State has faced one defense thus far comparable to the Eagle Defense (not as good, but comparable) and they scored 20 in the first half before shutting it down in the rain.

FIFY

longtimemocfan
October 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Looking forward to Black Saturday against GSU, throw away everything you about these two teams it just doesn't matter - game of the day.

Elon by 17, UTC has one of the better pass defenses in the SoCon, but they are unlikely to score more than 13 against the Elon D.

Furman by 13, this will tell me if Citadel is that much tougher in Charleston than on the road after the surprising results the last couple of weeks.

WC by 3, trap game for WC. Tough home loss to ASU yesterday, Elon coming to town next week. WCU should have some confidence going into the game, but WC finds a way to pull out the win late.

We just lost probably our best tackler in the defensive backfield for the year (J.D. Dothard)

Chatty-21 Picking with heart.
Elon-20

Furman-28
Citadel-24

GSU-21
Appy St.-24

Wofford-24
WCU-17

OL FU
October 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Chattanooga @ Elon - Elon by more than 17

Furman @ The Citadel - If there is a team that can drag the Dogs out of the doldrums it is their hated rival. Still, Furman wins in one that is closer than it probably should be considering the last two week. FU by 7

Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State - App by more than 10. As the GSU posters like to say they are young, which can be an advantage in a game like this. Playing with emotion can be a big factor. Still ASU in a high scoring affair.

Wofford @ Western Carolina - WCU won last week, not this week.

AppStsGr8
October 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
All four games are going to be closer than the general consensus.

On GSU and ASU, I'm telling you, people are overestimating GSU's offense and underestimating our defense.

GaSo always seems to play like a bunch of demons when the game's against App, though. Any time GaSo's in town makes me nervous regardless of the season either team is having. Look for a close game ... maybe even another OT.

boonegoon
October 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Chatty-17
Elon-27

Furman-28
Citadel-24

GSU-31
Appy St.-34 App continues to give me heartburn with another nailbiter

Wofford-24
WCU-17

Woof
October 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Chattanooga @ Elon- Flaming Pigeons keep rolling at home; Sounds like Chatty is getting Wofford's injury bug- 38-14 birds.

Furman @ The Citadel- Not sure what to make of El Cid. Definite issues at QB. Furman is finding ways to grind out wins, but finally breathes a little easier in this one. Barneys win 28-7

Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State- App on Halloween is a tough environment as I recall.xbawlingx Edwards to Quick is too much in the 4th for a tired Eaglet D. Hillbillys win a slug fest 42- 28 at the Haunted Rock.

Wofford @ Western Carolina- Which Wofford MASH unit will show up ? Terriers played with much more heart last week. Ayers drafts kids from the soccer and cross country teams to play RB and Terriers pull "upset" in the 'Wee. 34-21 T-Dogs xprayxxhurrayx

GaSouthern
October 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Glad to see nobody picking GSU, we are not good again this season. If App gets beat by GSU they need to retire football until next season.

Elon over Chatt
Citadel over FU
App over GSU big
Wofford over WCU

OL FU
October 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Glad to see nobody picking GSU, we are not good again this season. If App gets beat by GSU they need to retire football until next season.

Elon over Chatt
Citadel over FU
App over GSU big
Wofford over WCU

It has been my opinion all year long that the next two seasons were potentially big for both GSU and FU. Nothing has really changed my opinion that both teams are at least a year off. I do think that FU is a little bit ahead of where I thought we would be. GSU might be too it is just a little more difficult to tell because consistency has been a factor.

CID1990
October 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Chatty
FU
GSU (a Tale of Two Defenses)
Wofford

BullDog85
October 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
It's a new week, and time to pick the Southern Conference week #8 winners for Saturday, Oct. 24th.... xthumbsupx

Chattanooga @ Elon

Furman @ The Citadel

Samford - open

Ellen D. over Mockingbirds - no contest.xreadx

Purple Furples over El Cid - Dawgs are always tough at home, but QB problems will continue to haunt the offensive performance. Roberts will be kept under 100 yards again because the backup QB doesn't seem to like tossing the ball his way. An uninspiring defense that won't blitz will give Sorrows xeyebrowx more time to hit the receiver.xmadx

Hillbum U over Eaglets - would love an upset here, but GSU can't get there yet.xrolleyesx

Rat Dogs over Kitties - Rat Dog King will go on 4th down and 4 all day long and make the kitties pay for missteps, unlike what the Dawgs did last weekend.xcoffeex

PhoenixPhan06
October 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Chattanooga @ Elon: Elon keeps it rollin in front of a very pleased Homecoming crowd and win 38-10

Furman @ The Citadel: Furman keeps their playoff hopes alive and win big 34-13

Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State: As much as I'd like an upset here, ASU is tough to beat at the Rock and cruise 37-24

Wofford @ Western Carolina: Now that they've tasted victory, WCU builds their longest win streak of the season in a 16-13 win

Samford - open

Week 8 heats up in the SoCon, but there should be little movement at the top of the standings for another week.

CamelCityAppFan
October 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
App over GaSo-- App Defense gives up some big plays, but on the other side of the ball Armanti & Co roll. Game is close in the first half, blows open in the 2nd. Gameplay is typically intense throughout.

Cats over Terriers-- WoCo is seems to be pretty banged up at this point, and the Cats have nothing to lose. Still, the Terriers play with a lot of heart but come up short.

Furman over the Citadel-- El Cid's post-overtime loss to ASU meltdown is complete.

Chat and Elon-- to me, this is the matchup of the week (yeah, more interesting than ASU/GaSo). Elon has been on a roll, but Chatty is a much improved squad. Elon is riding high with a national ranking and seems to be in control of the SoCon race. But they've had a bye-- sometimes teams come off the bye gunning, and some come off the bye flat. How will Elon respond? They should take care of the Mocs with no problem, moving them closer to a possible winner take all showdown in mid-November. If the week off finds them a bit sluggish, the Chatty game could turn into one of those classic trap games. In the end, I think Elon wins, but I'm on the lookout for the letdown.

phoenixphanatic21
October 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Gonna keep it quick and simple.

Elon over Chatty
Furman over Citadel
App over Georgia Southern
Wofford over WCU
Bye over Samford.

Kidding about that last one.

straightshooter
October 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
App over GaSo-- App Defense gives up some big plays, but on the other side of the ball Armanti & Co roll. Game is close in the first half, blows open in the 2nd. Gameplay is typically intense throughout.

Cats over Terriers-- WoCo is seems to be pretty banged up at this point, and the Cats have nothing to lose. Still, the Terriers play with a lot of heart but come up short.

Furman over the Citadel-- El Cid's post-overtime loss to ASU meltdown is complete.

Chat and Elon-- to me, this is the matchup of the week (yeah, more interesting than ASU/GaSo). Elon has been on a roll, but Chatty is a much improved squad. Elon is riding high with a national ranking and seems to be in control of the SoCon race. But they've had a bye-- sometimes teams come off the bye gunning, and some come off the bye flat. How will Elon respond? They should take care of the Mocs with no problem, moving them closer to a possible winner take all showdown in mid-November. If the week off finds them a bit sluggish, the Chatty game could turn into one of those classic trap games. In the end, I think Elon wins, but I'm on the lookout for the letdown.

App better get its points in the first half, because with the exception of the SDSU game where the O turned it over three or four times in the second half, the GSU D has been very stout in the second half of its games.

DX Man
October 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon

Furman @ The Citadel

PhoenixMan
October 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Chatty
FU
GSU (a Tale of Two Defenses)
Wofford

Wow. After complete dismantling of your team at Elon two weeks ago you still pick Chatty. I'm not saying Elon will win, and it will be tough game. I did, however, think that of all the fans El Cid fans wouldn't underestimate the Phoenix.xnonono2x

T-Dog
October 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I think this is the trap game for Elon. They are thinking about the 55-20 loss at home last year and with UTC's loss last week, it's not as big on the Elon radar coming off the bye week. While the bye week is good for healing up, they'll probably come out flat as many teams tend to do.

PhoenixMan
October 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I think this is the trap game for Elon. They are thinking about the 55-20 loss at home last year and with UTC's loss last week, it's not as big on the Elon radar coming off the bye week. While the bye week is good for healing up, they'll probably come out flat as many teams tend to do.

I hope they have learned a lesson to take it a game at a time. With the upsets and close games across the conference this year there are no weeks off. Heck, WCU even beat someone.:o

phoenix3
October 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM

I'd like to think that with the experience we have, the team will not let down. I'm not sure this will be the case though. Time off plus the success we've had can cause a loss of focus. This team hasn't been cocky so far, which is what our problem was last year. So, hopefully the maturity will hold them together. It probably helps that it's homecoming.

phoenix3
October 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon- Flaming Pigeons keep rolling at home; Sounds like Chatty is getting Wofford's injury bug- 38-14 birds.

Furman @ The Citadel- Not sure what to make of El Cid. Definite issues at QB. Furman is finding ways to grind out wins, but finally breathes a little easier in this one. Barneys win 28-7

Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State- App on Halloween is a tough environment as I recall.xbawlingx Edwards to Quick is too much in the 4th for a tired Eaglet D. Hillbillys win a slug fest 42- 28 at the Haunted Rock.

Wofford @ Western Carolina- Which Wofford MASH unit will show up ? Terriers played with much more heart last week. Ayers drafts kids from the soccer and cross country teams to play RB and Terriers pull "upset" in the 'Wee. 34-21 T-Dogs xprayxxhurrayx

Not sure if they'll be celebrating Halloween or not but Halloween isn't until the next week.

FUPaladins
October 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon

Elon wins, maybe closer than the experts think. 31-24

Furman @ The Citadel

Furman wins by ten in Charleston. 24-14

ASU wins by a field goal in OT. 34-31

WCU wins by 1, probably in the 4th quarter. 14-13

Samford @ Open

Dustin Taliaferro (Tolliver if you're in Greenville. lol) has an off day and throws for 0 yards as
Open manages to keep the score deadlocked at 0.

FUPaladins
October 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon

Furman @ The Citadel

EXACTLY. Oh, and Samford loses to Open. xlolx

FUPaladins
October 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Chattanooga @ Elon

Furman @ The Citadel

EXACTLY. Oh, and Samford loses to Open xlolx

longtimemocfan
October 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM

We definitely didn't respond well after the bye week. The way the league is now, you better come out ready to play every week or risk getting it handed to you.

WCU LawCat
October 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The Western/Wofford game will be a very low scoring game. Western does not scoring points until after halftime and the Western defense is pretty good.

Western wins at home by 6.
Elon by 24
Furman by 24
App by 3 in OT

whoanellie
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
We definitely didn't respond well after the bye week. The way the league is now, you better come out ready to play every week or risk getting it handed to you.

12,000 homecoming fans will keep our guys focused for the task at hand.

CamelCityAppFan
October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Yeah, that's what I said in my post. I think Elon will win, but if Chatty pulls the upset, I don't think I would be too surprised.

CID1990
October 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Wow. After complete dismantling of your team at Elon two weeks ago you still pick Chatty. I'm not saying Elon will win, and it will be tough game. I did, however, think that of all the fans El Cid fans wouldn't underestimate the Phoenix.xnonono2x

Yes, the football prowess of my team is totally proportional to my ability to make predictions.

Unlike you, I have seen The Citadel play in person 4 times now, and happen to know that the Elon - El Cid game was not a case of an awesome team beating a good team. It was a case of a very good team beating what is turning out to be an awful team.

I happen to think that Chatty has some of the best athletes in the SoCon. They are inconsistent, but my pick this weekend is Chatty for more reasons than just how Elon beat the team that I happen to pull for.

Feel free to come back and tell me how right you were when my prediction proves to be wrong.