PDA

View Full Version : Now what the heck do we do with em?

GreatAppSt
October 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
1. Richmond (70) 2368
2. Northern Iowa (20) 2296 L
3. New Hampshire (4) 2168 L
4. Montana (2) 2131
5. Southern Illinois 1899
6. Villanova 1883
7. William & Mary 1811
8. Elon 1709
9. Central Arkansas 1605 L
10. Appalachian St. 1588
11. South Carolina St. 1197
12. South Dakota St. 1161
13. McNeese St. 1023
14. Jacksonville St. 992
15. Weber St. 926
16. Delaware 794
17. James Madison 776 L buh bye
18. Cal Poly 774
19. Massachusetts 670
20. Stephen F. Austin 619
21. Colgate 604
22. Eastern Washington 419 L
23. Florida A&M 321 L
24. Furman 311
25. Eastern Kentucky 244

siuham
October 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I've still got FAMU in my top 25. I don't think any of my bubble teams are better than them.

JMU I had at 23 and they're gone now. EWU kept it a really good game with Montana, in Missoula, kept them in. New Hampshire..I don't know. They're still top 10 to me. Same with UNI.

Central Arkansas is top 25, just don't know where for sure.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Biggest Loss(es) - Central Arkansas, JMU, FAMU

Biggest Gain(s) - UMass, UD, SCSU

Notes:
1. SC State and App. St. should creep into the top 10.

2. Delaware and UMass should be well in the top 15 although I can definitely see UMass creeping into the top 10 as well.

3. UNI drops out of the top 5 but not the top 10.

5. SIU should be ranked 3 behind Richmond & Montana.

My top 10:
1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. Southern Illinois
4. Elon
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. Willam & Mary
8. New Hampshire
9. South Carolina State
10. Applachian State

TTUEagles
October 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Question (sort of related): Do most people vote based on their own polls each week, or, do they look at the official poll each week and go from there?

phoenixphanatic21
October 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Question (sort of related): Do most people vote based on their own polls each week, or, do they look at the official poll each week and go from there?

Personally, I go from the official poll each week.

Ud1Hens
October 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Notes:

2. Delaware and UMass should be well in the top 15 although I can definitely see UMass creeping into the top 10 as well.

My top 10:
1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. Southern Illinois
4. Elon
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. Willam & Mary
8. New Hampshire
9. South Carolina State
10. Applachian State

Let's not forget the beating UMass took against UD two weeks prior

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Let's not forget the beating UMass took against UD two weeks prior

No doubt but it's just one of the "strange" things happening due to UMass beating a top 5 team.

letsgopards04
October 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I usually go from mine. I forgot to vote last but made one if I had voted for reference. However I don't vary too much (more so for outside top 10) from the overall poll.

Native
October 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Notes:

My top 10:
1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. Southern Illinois
4. Elon
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. Willam & Mary
8. New Hampshire
9. South Carolina State
10. Applachian State

Well you got SIU right. They deserve to silde into 3rd.

I also agree that UNI should drop but stays in the top 10.

Neither SC State or Appy either deserve or belong in the top 10 yet, although App State could earn their way to a top 10 spot by winning out, since they will have to beat a top 10 team to get there. SC State deserves a bump for beating FAMU, but not quite all the way into the top 10. More top 10 teams must lose before SC State can get that high. Other than FAMU, theywill not have faced another top 25 team the entire season.

Delaware has already lost to Richmond and W&M, and with only four DI victories to their credit, in no way deserve a top 10 spot. They need to win 3 of their next 4 just to stay in the top 20. Since the Hens have yet to face JMU, Hofstra, Navy and Villanova, it ain't gonna happen.

UMass deserves credit for their victory over UNH and for sure deserves top 15, maybe #10.

Lots of football left to play.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Neither SC State or Appy either deserve or belong in the top 10 yet, although App State could earn their way to a top 10 spot by winning out, since they will have to beat a top 10 team to get there. SC State deserves a bump for beating FAMU, but not quite all the way into the top 10. More top 10 teams must lose before SC State can get that high. Other than FAMU, theywill not have faced another top 25 team the entire season.

Delaware has already lost to Richmond and W&M, and with only four DI victories to their credit, in no way deserve a top 10 spot. They need to win 3 of their next 4 just to stay in the top 20. Since the Hens have yet to face JMU, Hofstra, Navy and Villanova, it ain't gonna happen.

UMass deserves credit for their victory over UNH and for sure deserves top 15, maybe #10.

I would agree that App. St and SCSU have strong arguments against them from entering the top 10 this week. However, With SCSU rising as high as they did last week and teams above them & App. St. losing, it is only natural that they would be the last ones in this week. It would make little sense to "punish" the Mountaineers and especially the Bulldogs for winning their games this weekend because voters had them ranked "too" high last week.

93henfan
October 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Using the official poll as your baseline each week promotes groupthink. That's how teams like JMU stay in the poll with a losing record, teams like Colgate look like world beaters with an undefeated record, and teams like SFA and NAU make an appearance too late. Midway through the season, last year means nothing, so forget what people did last year!

I personally pull up my last ballot in one window, my new ballot in another window, the Top 25 + 5 thread in another window, and the Yahoo! FCS standings page in yet another window. Then I go through each team's schedule/results and weigh the entirety of their body of work, also giving consideration to head-to-head matchups.

Saint3333
October 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Using the official poll as your baseline each week promotes groupthink. That's how teams like JMU stay in the poll with a losing record, teams like Colgate look like world beaters with an undefeated record, and teams like SFA and NAU make an appearance too late. Midway through the season, last year means nothing, so forget what people did last year!

I personally pull up my last ballot in one window, my new ballot in another window, the Top 25 + 5 thread in another window, and the Yahoo! FCS standings page in yet another window. Then I go through each team's schedule/results and weigh the entirety of their body of work, also giving consideration to head-to-head matchups.

+1

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Using the official poll as your baseline each week promotes groupthink. That's how teams like JMU stay in the poll with a losing record. Midway through the season, last year means nothing, so forget what people did last year!

We all should get away from "groupthink" when it comes to polls but this is one tough job to complete. there are just so many variables to consider.

blukeys
October 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
No doubt but it's just one of the "strange" things happening due to UMass beating a top 5 team.

It was not a "strange" thing. Delaware totally dominated Umass. I don't care where either team is ranked but to rank Delaware below the team it beat handily on the field is ridiculous.

UNH Fanboi
October 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
My top 10:

1. Richmond
2. Southern Illinois
3. Northern Iowa
4. Montana
5. Villanova
6. UNH
7. W&M
8. Elon
9. South Dakota St.
10. South Carolina St.

WestCoastAggie
October 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
It was not a "strange" thing. Delaware totally dominated Umass. I don't care where either team is ranked but to rank Delaware below the team it beat handily on the field is ridiculous.

What I was referring to are voters rewarding UMass moreso for beating New Hampshire, a top 5 team last week and bumping them over Delaware eventhough they were beat. UMass' loss to UD will not be as fresh on voters minds as their victory over New Hampshire.

jstclmet
October 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Here's mine;

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. Villanova
4. Elon
5. Southern Illinois
6. William & Mary
7. New Hampshire
8. Northern Iowa
9. Appalachian St.
10. South Carolina St.

My picks from week 6;

1. Richmond
2. Northern Iowa
3. New Hampshire
4. Montana
5. Villanova
6. Elon
7. William & Mary
8. Southern Illinois
9. Appalachian St.
10. South Carolina St

KiddBrewer
October 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM

ha im glad winning out and going undefeated in the socon would qualify us for 10th on your poll ha

soccerguy315
October 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I don't vote, but if I did, I think this would be mine...

1. Richmond
2. Southern Illinois
3. Montana
4. Villanova
5. Northern Iowa
6. William and Mary
7. New Hampshire
8. Elon
9. South Dakota St.
10. App State

it's hard for me to put Nova ahead of UNH, since UNH just won head to head... but losing to UMass [UNH] is worse than losing to UNH [Nova]. I guess.

mcveyrl
October 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
+1

Same here.

ElonFirefighter
October 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM

I have a few teams i place where I want them then I look at last weeks AGS and fill in the blanks moving teams up and down from there

Schfourteenteen
October 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've still got FAMU in my top 25. I don't think any of my bubble teams are better than them.

Yep. That Tennessee State win is really keeping them in the top 25. Absolute garbage.